Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• suzywhateversuzywhatever Member Posts: 6
    Thank you R for the response. Wow! What a night mare!! I will definatley re-think the Audi.

I was also considering the Passat, but after your towtruck story I will test the Honda for sure. I have to admit I am a German car driver, have had mucho problemas with my Benz for sure. I do love the feel of the Audi but now I am not so sure that is going to be worth the extra money. S
  • rossy28rossy28 Member Posts: 2
  • rossy28rossy28 Member Posts: 2
    Hey, hoping for bit of help on this...own a 2003 Audi A4 Cabriolet, and when drive first thing in the morning I experience at time a loss of power when changing through the gears ??!! Can be goig along in fourth at steady 30mph, then just sudden loss of power until change down a gear !!! Don't know if this is some amazing piece of technology to prevent the car from being driven at inapporiate rev's when cold, or more fearfully a fault ??!!! Would appreciate any thoughts or similar experinces ??!! Cheers !!
  • mason3mason3 Member Posts: 5
    Hello again, I still do not have the owner's manual for my 1998 Audi A4 that I recently purchased. Could someone please tell me what type of gas this car takes? What type of engine oil? And I cannot figure out why my oil sign keeps appearing. Please help!! :confuse:
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    Mason: Why don't you call the Audi dealer service department and ask them? I wouldn't drive around with the engine oil light on. At a minimum you should make sure that you have enough oil and then take the car in to get checked by a qualified mechanic. If you have enough oil quantity, and the oil light remains on, then you most likely have an oil pressure problem, and that is NOT good. Get it checked out.

Which engine do you have? My 2001 A4 1.8T required PREMIUM gas. I would think that yours would too. I used Mobil 1 synthetic oil, 5W-20 I believe. Pretty much any guality oil in the 5W-20 or 10W-30 range should be ok until you find out from the dealer the exact recommended oil. I run Mobil 1 in all my cars and bikes. Good stuff.

Good luck.

TB
  • richb1richb1 Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone received a recall notice on 2003 A4 1.8Q regarding fuel pump defects? I had mine replaced about a year ago and wonder if this is indeed the case whether Audi will reimburse me for the expense.
  • samueldsamueld Member Posts: 6
    Hay Shevi, So I read all three of your post on different forums . Interesting, Just out of curiosity did you get that warranty??? Yeah Audis and their ABS module problem, the guy at the dealership is correct it is going to need it. Dont worry VW passat have the same problems, same module. As far as getting a tire pressure gauge, smart women. I check my tire pressure every month or so, or before a long trip. Next you need to check your oil level and make sure it is correct. ;) I personally think you should go after the place that sold you the car, show them the problems you have been having. Trust me they made enough money off of you. Your rear window, they usually are reliable, probably cause no one uses them. I like the way my radio is, I am 6'1" so I have longer arms then you lol, But a few features I like about the radio are Gala have you read about that in the manual, RDS radio stations broadcast information about the song that is playing, and the fact that I can use my ipod instead of having a 6 disc changer. As far as gas mileage, I do both local and long distance driving, local driving wow I get really bad gas mileage, about 18- 21mpg this is with some highway driving. On the highway I mean all highway, the best I have ever gotten was 30mpg going to Montreal, about a 4 hour drive from ny but I made it there in less time cause I was doing 80 the whole way. My car has all the maintence up to date, it cost alot but I intent to have this car for a very long long time.
    But once again I think you need to find someone familiar with Audis and have them replace your timing belt before a major problem occurs. Audi actually has a recall for this, due to so many Audi A4 timing belts tensioners failing. Although Audi wont fix it for you they will check it for free and tell you if you need one or not. But you need it.
    And oh yeah here http://www.modulemaster.com/audiabsrepair.html
    these guys can fix your abs module and it doesn't cost as much as what Audi wants for it.
    As for as my car, I still love it, I'll try to get a pic online one of these day so you can see it. :shades:
    Until next time

-------------> David
    Hay jtdavis,

Unfortunately you have two different problems. The first problem with the air rushing, Well that is what they call a secondary air pump. What it does is push more air into your exhaust system, it is suppose to lower emissions by speeding up the warmup process. Either way it most likely has water in it and needs to be replace, whoever replaces it tell them to also replace the combination valve on the back of the head. It is expensive but wont affect anything else so that can wait. Although you wrote this two weeks ago, you probably already know you need and ignition switch. This is why your radio stays on and everything else. Audi has had problems with those also on the older cars.

Just like to say I still and will always LOVE my Audi :shades: No matter how much it cost to fix 112000 and couting... 98 a4 1.8tqm

0------------> David
  • cicerocicero Member Posts: 51
    I received such a recall notice and inside they indicate they will repair the pump or pay for the replacement costs. I took my 1.8T in two weeks ago and it was taken care of by Rector Audi in Burlingame Cali in 1.5 hour. The car was returned after they washed it and everything is fine. A friend took her A6 for the same reason and had a similar good experience at another dealership. No problems. Cicero

PS: To those A4 owners experiencing many problems and trips to the shop; I feel for you. I had the same problem with my Jetta VR6 years ago due a undiagnosed problem with ehe digifant fuel injection. The car would stall out when it reached a certain tempeture on the freeway. Scarey.

I have only had minor dealer type warranty type "problems" with my car and have experienced relatively no down time due to routine issues exceptng a glitch with the sunroof and a light sensor. Other than that, I have about 45K on the car and I enjoy driving it very much. The 1.8 takes adjustment from the 6 cyl experience but motoring is fun once you master the nuances of a turbo! Good luk.
    Hay Rwolff,

I know someone close to you who used to work for Audi but currently works fpr VW shoot me an email...
    Its in my profile and I'll get back to you.

--------> David
  • a43311a43311 Member Posts: 11
    I would put premium in, but you can probably get away with plus if you really need to, actually if you look on the inside of the gas door it should say the minimum octane for that car. Also would definitely recommend synthetic oil. Agree with what was said about the oil pressure, if its at the right level I'd get that checked out.
    I agree about the secondary air injection pump. I have that noise but it goes away within a couple minutes of starting the car. My mechanic told me that it could go out completely and the car would still run perfect. Just with the engine light on.

samueld said "Just like to say I still and will always LOVE my Audi No matter how much it cost to fix 112000 and couting... 98 a4 1.8tqm"

WORD. I have a 99 2.8 A4 have only had it from 95k to 103k and virtually no problems other than routine maintenance. High miles for the car but I still love it.
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    ...the car has been fantastic. Picked up my factory order 2.0 liter last August... 6spd manual, virtually all the options. The car has not had a single issue. I also had the ECU reflashed (presently about 230 hp).

But that said, I have a short drive to work and never keep my A4s beyond the warranty period. I would not pick an Audi for high-mileage applications nor would I buy a used Audi. Another reason I've stayed with Audi is that the local dealer is very easy to work with and seems to have a good service department.

Anyhow, it has been said that Audi is aware of the reliability issues and has been working to improve their product line.

Time will tell.

Byron
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Well, I am trolling these boards because I am looking to have my 2005 Toyota 4runner lemoned, which died while driving after 6 months. :sick:

Dealer has had the car for over a week and has no clue about what's wrong with the car. :lemon:

At least, when I had a German car, the dealers generally fixed the nits and nads w/in a day. And the car was fun to drive. :) But think of it--why own a 4runner other than supreme reliability?
  • cneffcneff Member Posts: 65
    My 2003 A4 3.0 was in the shop for a total of 150 days with electrical problems during the 39 month lease. I won't go into details here how I went after Audi (my earlier posts describe). But I can say Audi never once tried to rectify the situation.. well not entirely true, they sent an expert over from Germany who kept it another two weeks, replaced all sensors just to have something else go wrong... they never followed up.

Even down to the last few minutes of signing off on the "lease end" paperwork.... They kept babbling about how reliable their cars are, this includes corporate. Anyway, this car you are looking at, make sure it is not dark blue with grey interior, could be my return. If the seats move by themselves then it is mine.

I recommend you look at another brand, Audi does not back up their products, simple as that.
  • mobilemaniamobilemania Member Posts: 2
    Sorry to hear about your A4 cneff. I have the exact same year and model and have not had a single issue with mine. The car needed rear brakes when I took it in for the 30k service a few months ago. Audi replaced them free under the Audi Advantage Plan. I have not had to put a dime into mine (other than gas)and it has only been at the dealer for the three scheduled service checks. Hard to explain why two cars with the same equipment produced in the same year have such different reliability records.
    Thanks for the response Mobilemania, I'm pleased you had a good one....really.

I've heard that from other Audi owners too (had a lot of time to chat with them since I was in the service waiting rooms so often). I've also come across many stories like mine. There seems to be no middle ground, even the car is fine or just a total bomb. What I also found alarming was how the Dealers and Audi try to smoke screen these problems that other customers had...sort of hoping they'd go away. I spent some time heading up the ranks in Audi USA and customers are not first...not first at all.

I don't blame the car since I've had German cars for years (first Audi though), I blame the dealerships and company. Most of my issues were repair-able, most, not all. But the dealer network just blew it. Even the senior folk at Audi USA admitted there was a serious flaw in their reporting of repairs and ability to fix this car the first time. Audi knows they have serious problems and a long long road uphill to get to where the other German brands are today when it comes to service.

However, they still backed away from the most serious of issues with the car. I know German cars can be testy, but most dealers are prepared or take the time to listen and inspect properly. In the beginning Audi dealers blamed me and the blame even came from Audi USA. It was not until the gent from Germany and a senior tech came over to look it over. About 50% of the flaws were due to dealer incompetence (Audi USA admitting this) (I had been to 4 dealers) and the rest were just poltergeists. These dealers are all in Northern NJ...so that leaves basically zero that are able to address serious flaws other then a burned out bulb.

Sad thing is I liked the way the car drove, but, without a good service infrastructure one is just playing "russian roulette" with this Brand. I really wanted to feel good about Audi, this is what makes it so frustrating.

For those reading my posts and past posts thanks for letting me vent.
  • mobilemaniamobilemania Member Posts: 2
    Cneff, you're absolutely right about the role of the dealer especially with european cars. Even though I did not have any issues with my car, my dealer (in Connecticut) always had a person waiting for me when I arrived for my service drop off and a loaner car gassed started and ready to go. I spent no more than 5 minutes dropping off and picking up. My car always came back to me washed and vacuumed. I know a woman who has an A4 with stick. She burned through a clutch in the first 12k miles (just "learned" standard before buying the A4) She took it to the dealer and they replaced the clutch free without asking a question... even though this is considered a wear and tear item. I had a similar situation to yours several years ago with an SUV we bought and now I am very suspect of the brand and the dealer... so I don't blame you for feeling burned.
    Thanks. I just checked inside of the gas cover and it shows premium at the top and supreme at the bottom. I've seen it before which is what prompted me to question it. I've started with the premium. I did an oil change today and the light did not come on as frequently but my mechanic says he noticed a slow leak but wasn't sure where it was coming from. Gotta take it back soon. the oil pressue problem never crossed my mind. But now i have something to check on. Take care.
    I have a 2.8T A4. I'm going to call the dealer again tomorrow to order the manual. I just hope it doesn't take so long. I did the oil change today and the light is not on as much but I will follow up with my mechanic about the oil pressure. He said he noticed a slow oil leak. He put 10w-40 oil in the car. I was in a rush so I did not check to see if it was synthetic. Can synthetic be mixed with other oils? I know the same level can but what about the type? I'm just worried because the last car I had engine blew & I kept up with the oil religiously. I don't know, I'm still getting use to this car. I do love the way it handles the curves. Decent suspension. Thanks for the response and luck.
    Mason
  • rjorge3rjorge3 Member Posts: 144
    Sorry to hear about your 4runner....I guess lemons come in "all flavors". :lemon:

I just picked up my car this Saturday, and long and behold, yesterday I got this warning sign "check rear light". Although this for sure is just a minor thing (this is the second time it happened), here I go again to the dealer.

I have to agree with some in this forum that say that the dealers can also make a great difference. I refuse to go to my original dealer, Flemington Audi NJ, even if I have to pay for a rental. I was so turned off with their service that I wrote a letter to Audi customer care (most likely it found the garbage bin), indicating their poor level of customer service.

I am having my car now serviced in LifeQuality Audi in BayRidge Brooklyn.

I have started lemon law paperwork this week so I'll keep you guys posted as to what will happen. Audis are indeed great cars (when they are not in the shop), and I will indeed shed some tears when I switch, but I just cannot stomach so many problems in so little time.

I figure I have some fun with all my problems:

How can you tell if you are an Audi owner?

1) When your neighbors ask you how come you change your car every three months, a Jetta, a Passat, another A4 or an A6 parked in your driveway...oh and sometimes an occasional Dodge Neon (but they don’t know, they are all loaners!!)

2) You get to know at least three to four service reps from 3 to 4 different dealers, and you get to know the wife's name and kids name of at least one of them.

3) You absolutely, positively just lease the car as to own it would represent a kamikaze move, or it means that you are very accustomed to pain.

4) Your vocabulary all of a sudden expands as you start to use difference kinds of words, sounds etc to describe your problems to the tech.

5) Your frequent visits to the dealer makes you an industry insider as you know about when the next model will come before the public, changes and news about the Audis (you do this when they ask you to wait for your car and not loaners are available!)

6) and last, for no apparent reason, you start to cry when you see an add referring to the “German driving experience”. :sick:
  • pedrorpedror Member Posts: 1
    The air bags red light has been on for the last 3-4 weeks...I took the car to the dealer and they determined an air bag module was not working correctly...they ordered the module but will arrive in 2-3 weeks...in the mean time, does anybody know how I can get rid of the air bags light on the dashboard?...it is very anoying and it is distracting me all the time. Thanks.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Thanks for sharing the info, rjorge3. Sorry you have had problems. But your and other posters help __me__ see through the myth of the "German Driving Experience". Yes Audis do handle and ride well. It's a true pity many Audis need so much shop time in return, and that many of their dealers treat the cars as disposable luxury products.

There was another car brand in the USA that offered the "Italian Driving Experience", which soon became known as the 'Fix It Again Tony" experience. Where are they now? Not here.
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    The air bag light can only be switched off by replacing the "airbag control module", an $800 repair.
  • ddelectddelect Member Posts: 2
    Hi, New to this, but have a serious question. I am looking to purchase a 2006 Audi A4 wagon and was told by the service manager I can't tow my trailer (Jet Ski) because the trailer can't be wired to the car? Is this correct??
    I was told by the trailer people a hitch was available, but I needed a powered converter, but no-one has a clue how to wire it to the AUDI, I can't believe this can not be done, certainly would be disappointing, not to able to buy a car because you can't hook-up a trailer, fine car.
    My question is how do I wire a trailer to this cars electrical without causing any damage?? Any help would be greatfull.
    Thank you for any help.
    ddelect :)
    Hi rjorge3,

I went back for the same rear light failures 7 times with the '03 A4 I had. Twice it actually failed right at the spot where the dealer drives the car up to return it. Turns out it was not a bulb issue but a module somewhere deep inside the car. Only took them 5 months to figure that out and that was discovered by the guy that came all the way from Germany.

I liked your chat about neighbors asking about all the different cars you had...consider yourself lucky as I was always given Mazda3s, Hyundais, or Chryslers. However, one thing the neighbors noticed was those loaners went more then two days without problems where my Audi had a glorious day if it made 12hrs. To be fair, Paul Miller (1 of the 4 dealers I danced with) gave me a 1.8T A4 as a loaner, had that 45 consecutive days as they figured out what to do about my 3.0....no success there either. They actually said don't come back, the car is too much of a liability and then said they focus on the best customer experience, all in the same breath. I felt so special.
  • rwolffrwolff Member Posts: 19
    Hi David,
    Tried your profile but couldn't get email address. If you can get me that information I'd appreciate it. Thanks
    Ray
    Thanks for that tip about the light. This is I believe my second or third time with the same problem, thus I will bring that to the tech attention.

You know, I think what I will do from now on is to drive my trusted, old college years 1994 Toyota celica hatchback more frequently, and try to only drive the A4 maybe 2 to 3 days per week (I drive to work every day).

I am just afraid that if my lemon law suit does not go well, and when I return the car and if they find something wrong (highly problable), then I will get stock with a huge bill.

I guess the mistake I made when I lease the car is that I leased it for 39 months as supposed to 36 which is the warranty period. I do however intend not to even touch the car after the 36th month even if I am still making three more monthly payments.

Oh well, lesson learned :cry:
    "To be fair, Paul Miller (1 of the 4 dealers I danced with) gave me a 1.8T A4 as a loaner, had that 45 consecutive days as they figured out what to do about my 3.0....no success there either. They actually said don't come back, the car is too much of a liability"

thanks for heads up. I will make sure to avoid that dealer.
    Where the heck was AUDI all this time?
  • sxb9365sxb9365 Member Posts: 2
    I bought an 01 A4 in the beginning of march. On the first of may I took it in for the 60K mile service. 4 days later my oil pressure light comes on. I tow it back to the dealer and they perform a tsb for oil sludging. They started it back up and apparently without any odd noises or smoke etc.. the engine stalled out after 3-5 minutes. The dealer called me and said I need to fund a new engine at $10k+labor. They state there is no pressure in any of the 4 cylinders. Has any one had a similar experience???? Please help,

THANKS!!!! :sick: :lemon:

email sxb9365@yahoo.com
  • bulentbasbulentbas Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

I am about to buy 2001 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 112.000 miles on it at $7500. I am considering about high mileages. Is anybody has same car and mileage in this board and maybe they can give me some advice? Should I buy it?

Thanks
    Bulent
  • ttenragttenrag Member Posts: 38
    Are you kidding me. Sounds like a lawsuit if it were my car! Good luck.

It just amazes me that people continue to buy these cars used. Don't you have a warranty with the vehicle?

I own toyotas, and have only had to change the oil and rotate the tires.
  • sxb9365sxb9365 Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately the warranty expired at 50K. I've got a meeting with the service mgr tomorrow. I think what I'm going to do is have it taken to an independent mechanic who can actually tell me what's wrong with it. I've got a lawyer, I just need to know what's wrong with it. Regardless once the dust settles I'm going to off the car at a huge loss. I just need to figure out the root cause of the issue and the cheapest fix.
  • pgguypgguy Member Posts: 11
    Just got 06 A4 3.2 quattro manual 6 speed. Love it. Could only get manual car with sport suspension which is a bit uncomfortable for my wife and also for me. Does any one know if it is possible to exchange sport springs and/or dampers for standard parts? And if so the cost? Thanks PG guy
    Have you checked your tire pressure? As you undoubtedly know, tire pressure can have an enormous influence on how your car rides and handles. I run my pressure a little towards the high side but still think my '06 rides great. Frankly I wouldn't own an A4 without the sports suspension. The improved handling is well worth it (for me). I know that with the sports suspension, the car has slightly higher limits during spirited driving and during emergency evasion tactics, which eventually happen to us all.

Naturally you can swap out the springs/shocks but sorry I can't help on the cost of converting the car back to a more compliant suspension.

Byron
  • pgguypgguy Member Posts: 11
    Hi Byron:
    Thanks for the response. Running 35lbs in front and 33 lbs in back. These are the recommended pressures for 235/45 17" all season tires. I'll call the service dept at the dealer on Monday and see whar they say.
    bulentbas, I do not want to persue you not to buy this car, but if you do your research, Audis are not great cars to buy in the used market especially with those high miles. You might be looking a huge bills if you dont' have an extended warranty, and I doubt that you might be able to get a decent ext warranty with those miles.

Save yourself some trouble and go for a Honda, Toyota or Nissan.
    Your tire pressure sounds good. I'm usually at about 36 front and 35 rear (Continental 235s). Hope you are able to find a cost-effective route for smoothing out your ride.

Byron
  • genjunkgenjunk Member Posts: 2
    Hi sxb9365:

I had my engine oil light came on while I was driving on a highway. It ended up the engine could not started anymore and had to get a tow truck to bring it back. Now it is in dealer shop. I looked up several websites and noted this engine problem is very common in Audi A4. In 2004, Audi had issued a warranty for all Audi engine for 8 years with unlimited mileage. Maybe you can look into this. I believe there are many Audi A4 owners have encountered or suffered this problem. Please keep us posted. The dealer has not told me what's wrong but I am worrying I may get into the same boat. Thanks.

GJ
    sorry for the late reply.

Audi knew from the beginning the issues I had with the car and the dealers and they turned a deaf ear. In fact, one of their customer service experts told me they only sell cars and are not responsible for their dealers actions. Whatever.

Audi of Mendham/Bernardsville was the originating dealer....they were useless and funny enough Audi USA admitted that. I did a stint at Town Motors after Paul Miller, they did try and were nice, but Audi got tired of paying all the warranty claims, (seems that is their clue to do something) so they sent me to Jack Daniels thinking it would solve the issues. JD had the car with an Audi expert and guy from Germany for 2 weeks. Still came back faulty, one phone call as follow up and one call from Audi I got (it took them 2 weeks to send me the paperwork - guess edits had to be made - the package was a book!!) The car was just a mess.

When I told Audi USA I was still having the same issues, Audi USA said I could go to any dealer I wanted - that statement came from their so called special customer service person (the one that gets problem customers like me, or as they put it "someone having a unique experience"). So I drove around with a faulty car for a few more months, the options I paid extra for only worked in the brochure.

Audi just sells cars...NEVER FOLLOW
    "one of their customer service experts told me they only sell cars and are not responsible for their dealers actions."

To be frank, most car manufacturers take this tired old stance. As side note,a legal represenative who had helped me resolve a GM lemon issue told me Honda and Mercedes were far and away the worst wrt their resolving "lemon" issues.

But I wonder if Audi, like their parent VW, is still way behind the curve here?

"Audi of Mendham/Bernardsville was the originating dealer....they were useless and funny enough Audi USA admitted that."

So why the heck does Audi let a dealer they __know__ is useless continue to sell their product?
    Sorry for the late reply.

NO. Too many miles, if you have to have an Audi "like I did" look around longer you can find a car with less miles. If you're in a big city check Ebay Motors, always great deals there. I would have the car fully inspected before purchasing though no matter what they tell you. Good Luck.
  • wilnerwilner Member Posts: 34
    i had a 1999 audi a4 2.8q v6 purchased as a used in 2002, right now i had a 98,000 mileage. am not sure if the engine has a timing chain or timing belt and do i need to change it now. how many mileage before i change the timing belt?
    I have the same car and I'm at about 103k miles right now. Like you I bought my car used, at the time it had 94k miles on it. I got lucky though, it had a new engine put in at 63k and all the timing done then, so I didn't have to worry about it. If you don't know for sure that it's been done, "I'm not sure how many miles the car had on it when you got it" I'd have it done immediately, if the belt breaks thats about a 12,000 dollar problem. :surprise: It's usually around 90-95,000 I believe that the timing belt needs done.
    thanks, when you replace the timing belt did you replace the water pump as well. i ask this because mostly asian cars, when they replace the timing belt they replace the water pump too, but this one(audi) is european made. thnks again!
  • lailalaila Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 A4 and currently at 9600K. According to the manual I should bring my car in for maintenance and oil change at 15k but was told by the service guy to change the oil at every 5k. Is it safe to wait until it hits 15k? or should I go ahead and change it now? Thanks!
  • inds_flamesinds_flames Member Posts: 4
    My clutch also failed at 40K miles on my 2001 A4. Dealer stated that pressure-plate was cracked and replaced it under-warranty (always took car to same audi dealer; previously had 80k on Saturn with original clutch). Now 2nd Audi clutch failed after ONLY 30k miles! (Audi service drove car 1-day before failure and reported NO problem); took to performance engine shop who verified broken pressure plate & worn-out clutch disk. I keep the pressure-plate as evidence. How did you get the dealer to state in-writing that pressure plate was defective? My guess is that these plates are uniformly defective and cause premature failure of clutch-disk. There are several other similar clutch-failure stories on just this site.
    Yes.
    yes, what? change the water pump too? thanks!
  • jacob0404jacob0404 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 04 3.0. I change my ool every 5000 miles. Audi pays for every other one. DO NOT take it in and say something like "I need a 10000 check up." If you do, it will cost you about a $100.

BTW I love my 3.0. It is a cabriolet and I get about 33 mpg on the highway top down at the speed limit. I have had some problems but I can live with it. I had Fords before the Audi. Talk about problems.