Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 Maintenance and Repair

1717273747577»

Comments

• wilnerwilner Posts: 30
    i have the same problem as yours every year i'm always replacing the battery with a new one. this auto repair center that i always have my battery replace suggested to see an auto electrical shop to diagnos what causes the battery drains. the techician here suggested that i could test the alternator by pulling out the positive post when the engine is running so i did and yes the engine still running when i pulled out the clamp from the positive post, that means no problem with the alternator. so there is really something that causing the battery drains everyday from the engine. i have a 1999 a4 2.8 quattro v6. mr wahenika, please help me what the technician found out when you have your audi brought to the electrical shop. thank you very much.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,718
    A technician told you to do that? GEESH! Please, don't EVER try to test an alternator that way. You could cause severe damage to the ECM, the alternator and who knows what else. VERY bad advice! :cry:

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• I think I have similar problem, but can only read the response not the question in post 2210. Mine started fine three times on a cold day, then after sitting overnight the engine starts but then stops running after 1 or 2 seconds. Changing the FPR does not look difficult, if this is the problem. But how does the fuel get pressurized again before starting with the new FPR installed?
    The pump pressurizes it.

• OK. I was able to read post 2209 and my problem seems a little different. When I turn the key the engine revs right up but then stops after the initial rev. I try pumping the gas right away but the result is the same, the engine just cuts out. Have tried it 8-10 times and same happens each time. I just bought the car and it ran fine when I test drove it and picked it up. Sat overnight in the cold and now does not start past the initial rev when I turn the key. Does that sound like it could be the fuel pressure regulator? I appreciate the input!
    Do you think it's related to releasing the ignition key? What I mean is, does the stalling coincide with taking your hand off the key or start button?

• I turned the key all the way forward and the engine starts, and when I released the key back to the run position, the engine stops. Then I turned the key all the way forward and kept it in the start position (did not release it back to run position) and the engine started up, then stopped and the engine continued to crank but would not start up again.
    Might be good to borrow a scan tool if you can. The possibilities here are numerous.

I wonder what would happen if you sprayed some starting fluid into the air cleaner, if it would start right up again? It would be good to know at least if the engine is losing fuel or losing spark. If it would start repeatedly each time you sprayed starting fluid, then you'd pretty much suspect a fuel cutoff.

I suppose you could buy one of those very inexpensive spark testers and have someone crank the car over when it isn't starting.

• The mystery may be solved. I spoke to the seller that I just bought the car from. He thinks the problem is that I first tried to start it the next morning with the black plastic key instead of the metal key. He thinks the key needs to be re-programmed. Does that sound reasonable? I guess there is lots for me to learn.
    that doesn't really make sense to me, but do you have another key to try?

• ziggy25aziggy25a Posts: 24
    mercops, while much of your message is correct, I need to point out some significant inaccuracies there. No, it is rare that ANY OEM parts are patented, or trademarked. A patent for an alternator? A windshield? No. For a new drug, for a then new type of coating for cooking pans (Teflon)? Yes, those are novel inventions which are patented.

To better illustrate, I will ask you to post any patent number (patent information is public and is searchable on google) for any Audi windshield. Can you post a single lawsuit that Audi has ever filed again another windshield maker to protect their "patent"? The answers to both will be no, because there is no patent or trademark involved with their windshields.

A trademark has more to do typically with a logo or slogan. The Audi rings are a trademark for example. The Audi windshield is certainly not a trademark.

What is true is that aftermarket products vary in quality. I personally have had 4 windshields replaced in my various cars history, and I can say that all of them were aftermarket non OEM glass. I would challenge anyone to notice ANY difference. Might one of them be 1 millimeter wider? Sure, no question. Would that make any significant difference to a consumer? No. Could there be some aftermarket brands that are substandard? Sure, I suppose so. In my experience, the only difference I noticed on one was the amount of tinting at the top of windshield being slightly different. Not better or worse, just different.

If you want to tell me that an Audi alternator has better electronic components, and higher quality bearings, than aftermarket brands. Sure, that is probably true. But for automotive glass? This is glass, we are talking, there is little technology here.
  • Hello everybody, I am shopping around for Audi A4 Avants ranging from the 2005-2008 models. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with these cars, in terms of maintenance and upkeep? I've been told by somebody that these cars require a certain service every 30000 miles, other than just an oil change, that is very pricy. Could anybody give me some insight? I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer.
    Here's a complete Audi maintenance schedule for 2005 models:

2005 Audi A4 Maintenance

Sounds like you are referring to the 35,000 mile checkup.

Audis do tend to be a bit maintenance intensive. I suppose if you went to the dealer for this 35,000 mile check, it would be pricey, but perhaps less so at a good independent shop. You might take this list to an indy shop you are thinking of using and get a quote.

• Pretty sure that it sounds like you may be leaking from your clutch slave cylinder, it should be sticking out of the top of your transmission and facing the engine, with a perpendicular bleeder valve.
    I thought of that but he (the original poster with the problem) said his brake pedal goes to the floor.

• eddie650eddie650 Posts: 26

I have a 2005 Audi A4 Cabriolet with about 103,000 miles and was wondering when the main pulley gets replaced. I was told that it was the pulley that was causing an engine noise I hear, but I was told it didn't need to be replaced yet. It's a growl type noise and sounds worse for some reason when I am turning out of or into my garage and when I have the car in "Drive".