Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cicerocicero Member Posts: 51
    Did you get a reply from the Swimmer or anyone else on the extended warranty information?
  • conallconall Member Posts: 91
    Sounds like there have been a lot of run-ins with dealers. Does anyone have any experience with the dealerships in Albuquerque or in the Dallas area?
  • hydrocarbonhydrocarbon Member Posts: 16
    Thanks max 7761,
    I have a really bad feeling I'm going to get hosed by the dealer.
    I went to an independent shop before going to the dealer. The independent shop told me essentially the same thing you did; that it could be the wiring, the spring, the ignitor or the module. But they were honest and said they couldn't pin it down easily.
    The Audi dealership wrote that it was the airbag itself, so I can at least curse them out when their greedy little hands take $600 from me for a new airbag and the problem returns a week later. Maybe there's some legal recourse for me if the same error code is repeated.
  • wia4wia4 Member Posts: 10
    Haven't heard a thing. If anyone has info on extended warranties please share!
    I have to agree with the many of the comments following Roger's "discourse" on the A4. Silicon valley is right down the road from me so we probably do the same type of driving. I have the sense that Roger is a "plant" from one of those other companies or that he generally unhappy with just about everything having to do with the A4. I think he should do himself and his wife, who may be approaching sainthood, a favor and trade-in the A4 for a Nissan or a Bimmer and be done with it!

Although the forum attracts people primarily wanting to solve problems with their cars or exchange information, many of us are thrilled with the overall experience. I have found the car to be very fun and extremely safe especially with quattro and I like to press the twistys. I am 5'11/170 with most of my height in my legs and the car fits me just fine and I don't put the seat all of the way back nor do I run into the center console with my leg. I have had one problem with my Zenons going down over rough roads but the service experience was largely a good one except for the 20 something newly employed service woman who does not seem to know much about cars much less Audi----; it was good that she asked someone before answering my questions. The sunroof issues mentioned in the forum are solved by not opening the roof all the way unless windows are open. The HVAC is typical of a german ride and very efficient. I have sometimes wished for more power in my 1.8T but enjoyed it mostly. Roger, Roger, Roger....
  • sodbuster1sodbuster1 Member Posts: 1
    As you can see from the letters below we had numerous problems with our 2001 A4. We actually loved everything about the car, except the frequent downtime while it was in the repair shop and prospect of expensive repairs going forward. Unfortunately neither the dealer nor Audi was willing to do anything about the situation. To add insult to injury the general manager informed me that he got into trouble because I had mentioned to Audi Client Relations that he referred me to them!

We decided to keep the car after it went out of warranty in the hope that the bad components had all been replaced. Two thousand miles later we had a blower motor and an oil sensor fail. I was given an estimate of $650.00 for the repairs. It was at this point that we decided we had to get rid of the car.

The Audi dealer made no attempt to retain us as a customer. Ironically, the Acura dealer was willing to give us more for our A4 trade-in than the Audi dealer and to find the exact car we were looking for. The Audi dealer wouldn’t even provide a list of what was available beyond their lot. We decided to buy the Acura TSX.

October 14, 2003
    XXXX XXXX
    ZZZZ Audi

Dear XXXX,
    My wife is on a first name basis with the ZZZZ Service Department. This is not a good thing. A quick check of the service records will show that the reliability of our 2001 Audi A4 (41,000 miles) has been exceptionally poor. Some of the parts we’ve had replaced include headlight bulbs, clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, flywheel, ignition coils, muffler clip, power steering pump, driver’s side B-pillar, vane pump, and exterior trim parts. In addition, the wiper blades and headlights were not adjusted properly at the factory and required adjustment by the service department in order to function adequately.
    The most recent problem occurred immediately after our A4 was in the shop to have ignition coils replaced for the second time. This time it was a collapsed vacuum line and a broken vacuum booster. Because of the timing I have to wonder if this happened inadvertently as a result of the ignition coil work done previously. As I write this letter, the check engine light is on and the power-assisted brakes are working intermittently.
    A bad situation has been made worse because the service department does not stock many of the A4 parts that we’ve had fail. Most failures require two visits… one to diagnose the problem and another to rectify it after the parts come in. On one occasion the wrong part was ordered. Currently the vacuum booster is on order.
    Our A4 is a great car when it isn’t broken down. But, because of the frequent reliability problems and the lack of stocked replacement parts, we are questioning whether or not we should keep it beyond the warranty period; and if not, what type of car we should buy to replace it. I need to answer the following questions in order to make these decisions:
    1. Does ZZZZ and or Audi offer any relief in terms of free or deeply discounted extended warranties to customers who have been sold a car with poor reliability?
    2. Is our experience typical of your other Audi customers, or did we just get a bad car?
    3. Does ZZZZ and or Audi offer any incentives for disillusioned customers to take a chance and buy another Audi in hopes that it will be reliable?
    Frankly XXXX, I would like to remain one of your customers, but I will need to see some positive responses to these questions in order for that to happen. Please let me know where ZZZZ and Audi stand.
    Sincerely,

February 2, 2004
    YYYYY YYYYY
    ZZZZ Audi

Dear Mr. YYYYY,
    I sent the enclosed letter several months ago and have not yet received a reply. While my wife had our car in for additional repairs recently, XXXX XXXX mentioned that he had forwarded the letter to your attention. Will you be providing answers to my questions, or is there someone else that I need to contact? Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

February 6, 2004
    Client Relations
    Audi of America

Auburn Hills, MI

To whom it may concern,
    I received a call from Mr. YYYYY YYYYY, the manager of ZZZZ Audi in WXYZ, PA, in response to my enclosed letter of 2 February. Mr. YYYYY said that our case may qualify for some type of redress and suggested that I contact Audi Client Relations. I have also enclosed my letter from 14 October, 2003 that details some of the problems that we had experienced up to that point with our 2001 A4. Since then we’ve had the car back to the service department for more repairs. In addition, the power steering pump, trunk struts, and a fan switch are due to be replaced on Tuesday, 10 February.
    To summarize our situation, we are well pleased with our car when it is not experiencing reliability problems. The Audi that we owned prior to this one was extremely reliable, so we have concluded that we just got a bad one this time. As we are nearing the end of the warranty period we need to decide whether or not to keep the car or to buy a replacement. To make this decision we need to get answers to the following questions:
    1. Does Audi offer an extended warranty at no cost to customers who have been sold a car with poor reliability?
    2. Does Audi offer any incentives for disillusioned customers to take a chance and buy another Audi in hopes that it will be reliable?
    If the answers to the above questions are no, we intend to trade our Audi in on another brand of vehicle.
    Thank you for your consideration of this matter.
    Sincerely,

February 18, 2004
    YYYYY YYYYY
    ZZZZ Audi

Dear Mr. YYYY,
    I contacted Audi Client Relations per your recommendation (see the enclosed letter). Unfortunately I was informed today that there was nothing they would do, and that I would have to take these issues up with the ZZZZ Sales Manager. Obviously we are disappointed with this response and feel as though we are being given the run around. I guess the ball is back in your court.
    Sincerely,
  • swimgalswimgal Member Posts: 11
    I checked with the Audi dealer in Oakland CA regarding extended warranties. He had a small array to choose from. Both from Audi and from Ford (they can sell that one because they are also a Ford dealer)

From Audi, you can get three levels:

Silver covers "major components" (probably about 50% of the car??)

Gold covers the silver stuff plus "High tech" components: basically more sophisticated stuff including a lot more electrical components

Platinum is essentially the same coverage as the bumper to bumper warranty you get with the new car except that it excludes stuff that wears out like break pads, bulbs, batteries, clutch components etc.

You also pick the term and deductible. You can go up to 100K miles and 7 years from date of purchase.

For 100K, 7 yrs, $100 deductible per visit: Silver is $2804, Gold is $3632 and Platinum is $4228.

You must buy the Audi warranty before your existing warranty runs out.

The Ford 100K warranty:

It can be purchased at any time, even after your existing warranty expires. But you must have a "pre-inspection" to assure that there is nothing wrong with your car before you get the warranty. (the Audi 50K service will do for this)

You can go to any shop (not just Audi)

It is good for 100K miles (on your odometer) or 4 years from the date that you purchase the warranty.

It covers the same stuff as the Audi Platinum warranty

It costs $3823.

It is transferable to a new owner.

I think you can cancel it and get a prorated refund as well.

I'm thinking that this is a good indication of how much my car will cost me if I decide to keep it. Obviously, they don't plan on losing money on their warranties, so I can pay them this up front and recover some (or maybe all if I have a lemon) of it throughout the course of the warranty period.

Here's the airbag question!

I just noticed what appears to be something that has oozed out of the airbag emblem in the back seat head airbag. It looks almost like the car leaked in a major way and then dried out(but it doesn't leak...I sprayed it hard all over the outside with water and no leak). There is this crusty white stuff that has clearly soaked through the fabric and created a foot-long front which has dried in place. This is a one-person car and nobody has been back there (not even Bill Clinton :o ) I showed it to the Audi dealer. They agreed that it looks like it came from the airbag emblem thing. Of course they wanted to take my car away from me for diagnosis...I'm a little hesitant at this point since the last time they got their grubby hands on it they had it for 10 days! Any idea what this could be??

Swimgal
    Swimgal: I am sure many of appreciate your efforts towards getting this information to us; I certainly do! Is this offer from the Audi dealer in Oakland (Oaktown) or from all dealerships? Is there more than one dealership in Oakland and where would it be located? Do you know whether there is an exclusion for chipped 1.8Ts or whether the warranty is inclusive of the modifications. I am on my way to Japan next week so I won't have time to find out immediately. Also, in case you are not on the 2005 forum there are 3 or 4 drivers in the immediate vicinity with me driving from THE CITY to San Mateo. Thanks again for your efforts. Cicero
    Dear Group Members: I just had the dealer rotate the tires on my A4Q and it seems like the car is driving a bit more roughly than before! I wonder whether balancing should have followed rotation or whether I have an active imagination?
    Thanks in advance for your advice. Cicero
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    >>I wonder whether balancing should have followed rotation or whether I have an active imagination?

Unless you like the feel of a vibrating steering wheel (ooooo) you should always balance the tires after a rotation.
  • swimgalswimgal Member Posts: 11
    The Audi warranty is from Audi and the prices are what the salesman in Oakland quoted me. The warranty offered from Ford through the Oakland Audi dealer was available because the dealership also sells Fords. As far as I know there is only one Audi dealership in Oakland (now called Audi of Oakland). It is on Auto Row (AKA Broadway). One of the exclusions in the platinum coverage is "other systems not factory installed". That's as close as it comes to addressing modifications. You can ask the dealer for a brochure.

Swimgal
    Thank you!
  • anniemanniem Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I'm hoping that I can get a recommendation from this list on a knowledgeable and reliable shop for my 2001 Audi A4. Right now, I need the brake pads checked, but I wold like to establish a working relationship given that the expense and disappointment of local dealerships.

I live in Watertown, Massachusetts, and work in Wakefield just off of Rte 128/95.

Please let me know your personnal experience and connection with the shop.

Thanks,
    AnnieM
  • myomymyomy Member Posts: 2
    Hi everybody, I'm a newbie to Audi and this forum, but I need some advice/opinions. I've been shopping around for a new car for the last few months, doing research and all and finally I was set on an 2004 A4 1.8T CVT, preferbly with the ultra sport. My parents are actually helping me with the down payment, so their opinion counts too, but the problem is they are Japanese car lovers and kind of frowned at my wanting an Audi. Basically they're telling me that a mechanic friend of theirs told them that Audi's have alot of problems in the long run. My thinking is that he's basing that opinion on older model Audi's. I wanted to know from anybody here if you've had any major problems with the 2004 models that would effect my decison to buy or not. There's really no other car I'm interested, so I need advice.

Thanks in advance.
  • tulip1tulip1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks for your help with this decision. We're looking at purchasing from a private (first) owner of A4 '02 3.0 quattro with the following:
    22K Miles
    Automatic, Brilliant Black Ext, Ebony premium leather interior
    Premium Pkg
    Cold Weather Pkg
    Sports Pkg
    Bose Premium Sound
    Rear Side Airbags
    Pwr Rear Sunshade, Manual Side Sunshade

the car is selling for $26K. I've researched this board and asked the seller about any issues re: engine coil replacements, mirror lights, lag and lurch, and gear locked in park.

1. ARE THERE ANY QUESTIONS OR ITEMS I SHOULD LOOK FOR?

2. IS THIS CAR A GOOD BUY? We love the look of the A4. But don't know if buying the first year of this model is a good idea. We are in NO RUSH to buy, and can keep looking for a 2003.

THANKS!
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    We have a 04 A4 CVT (premium package is only option) with just 7,000 miles, no problems (hardly broken in) and like everything about it. It is my impression that the 02 - 03 model issues of coils and window regulators are not going to haunt the O4s.
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    YOu have covered most of the common 02 problems -- don't forget window regulators. I think that there have been recalls on both the coils and regulators -- you can call Audi & find out if they have been replaced. If not, get those taken care of before or immediately after purchase. Price seems reasonable, especially if you can see service records and feel that the previous owner drove it nicely.
  • myomymyomy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks 204meca. That's what I'm hoping and even my best friend whose always been an Audi lover/owner admits that the first generation A4's had a lot of problems but have had no problems with his 04 A4 CVT also. It's just kind of scary since this is my first car purchase of my own.
  • cyberpmgcyberpmg Member Posts: 83
    The 2002 A4 3.0 is a really nice car. I've had mine ever since I bought it in late October 2001. It now has 74,000 miles on it. Check to see if it had encountered any ignition coil failures. If so, then it might be a good idea to have the catalytic converters checked as the raw fuel that went through from the failed coil can do some serious damage to the O2 sesnsors and the catalytic converters (damaged both of mine).

If the coils were replaced before any failure occurred, then you're in really good shape. The mileage seems nice and low, plus it has a few more goodies than what I have. You should still be covered by the OEM warranty and free maintenance service up to 4 years or 50,000 miles.

There are some extra features found in the 2002 that were cut from the 2003 model (like rear heated seats, smog sensor, interior motion sensor, etc.) that may not be must haves, but are definately nice to have. Sounds like a good deal for you! =)
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    myomy: Just one opinion, but I have a 2001 A4 with about 30K miles and I have owned several Japanese vehicles, and I would recommend the Honda/Toyota/Mazda/Nissan vehicles over the Audi, particularly if you need help just swinging the down payment. Go with a less expensive vehicle that won't eat you alive with maint and repair costs after the sweet 48 month 50K mile warranty expires. My A4 is a sweet ride, but I am very scared of the notion of having to pay for all the repairs I've had to have done on it in those first 30K miles. I'll probably unload it as soon as the warranty expires. Good luck.
    If money is an object and your new at the car thing I would have to agree with tcasboy; plus you can work your way up to the German cars. I have never driven the Japanese cars having moved from Jettas to Audis. Never had serious problems other than with my first Jetta GL and once the problem was solved the car was great. My Mom had one of those old Audi 100s and it was a complete mess. Long story short; if I were buying in your perceived situation, I would look at the new Mazdas including the 3s which are lookers for small cars and generate 160 horses. The 5 door is sweet as is the one that looks like a competitor for the WRX Outback wagon. Good luck
    I have never had my tires balanced after rotation and have yet to have a problem. As they are only moving the tires and wheels and not actually unmounting and remounting them shouldn't a "balanced" tire remain balanced no matter what corner of the car it is on??
    Hi,

Can't reply on the long term, or the CVT, but my 2004 1.8T Tip has been puurrrrrfect since January.

Go for it!
  • giggsgiggs Member Posts: 41
    I'm with tcasboy on this query. I really have grown to enjoy my '02 A4. I have had it for about six months now. But,it has had ongoing moans and groans that give me cause for concern which I have never experienced before. If you want a fun ride for the short term - go for the A4. But, if it's a long term purchase, I'd go Japanese.
  • oldnutmeggeroldnutmegger Member Posts: 5
    I have an audi A4 with 85000 loving miles on it. Until recently, it was the only car that I'd ever had that I had no complaints about.

At 85000 miles, I had a complete set of lower control arms (the second!), an upper control arm, and both tie rod ends replaced.

Audi's response to my inquiry was that these are normal "wear parts" and the responsibility of the owner.

I had planned to replace this with another audi when its useful life was at an end, but I now question the wisdom of this approach. Audi doesn't seem to stand behind their cars.
  • oldnutmeggeroldnutmegger Member Posts: 5
    If you have read through the posts here, you probably have already come to the conclusion that you should not buy an Audi since you are looking for a reliable car with low maintenance costs.

They have major systems like front end suspensions and timing belts that they think of as wear parts that need to be replaced regularly. Run, don't walk, and do not stop at an Audi dealer.
    Sure, I'm a little wary of the Audi reliability issue. Then again, my neighbor's Pontiac needed a new front end at 75k miles. This seems to be par for the course if you own a Ford Taurus also.

On the other hand, I own an Urquattro with only 61k miles and have had to replace the distributor, ignition module, and fuel distributor; not to mention the rebuilding of the cylinder head and valves since the timing cog broke. Granted - the timing cog may not have been properly seated and tightened by a previous mechanic. Still, it makes me wonder how many parts would have given out under normal circumstances. Knock on wood - the turbo's still good!
  • rayqiurayqiu Member Posts: 2
    If you are looking for cheap maintenance, low payments, go with Toyota or Honda. Audi, BMW, and MB are not for you. German cars cost you money.
  • kristinkristin Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering the 2005 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro Cabriolet. Has anyone had any problems yet with a 2005 model? Consumer Reports said reliability seems to be "on the upswing," but from what I have read about 2004 models, it has not improved much. Also, I was wondering if premium gas is absolutely necessary, since it is getting more and more expensive. Has anyone had a problem using regular grade gas? Thank you for any advice.
  • ssandalassandala Member Posts: 5
    well I have a 1998 Hyundai accent. It has 115k miles on it. Aside from tune ups, tires, and brakes, I have spent less than $500 on maint costs since I bought it with 18 miles on it. It certainly does not compare to Audi, BMW, Acura, etc, etc, in terms of performance or luxury, but I cant help but wonder why people keep buying cars that are going to give them problems 2 years, 1 year, 2 months down the road after spending 30k on a car.
    Now, when I do see an Audi A4 3.0 or a BMW 325, Acura tsx, I LOVE what I see. I am planning to get a new car next year & doubt I'll get another Hyundai, but I can't justify getting something that will let me down.

flame away!!
    1. Keep your Hyundai if it's still reliable.
    2. Buy a used Audi if that's your "flame".
    3. Register the Audi with your insurance company as a "pleasure vehicle" - which costs less.
    4. Drive it when ever you want.
    If it breaks down, you always have the Hyundai while the Audi is waiting on parts or for repairs.
    That's what I do with my Urquattro, while my daily driver is a Mazda 3.
  • hirpmlvrhirpmlvr Member Posts: 1
    i have the exact same problem. Loud noise from each wheel well that transmits vibration into the cabin. too loud for a luxury sedan. let me know if you've found the problem.
  • sukisuki Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone ever seen a stain on the front and back pillars that looks like water or battery acid? I have received so many different answers from the dealer and the problem won't go away. Thanks.
  • innocencekillsinnocencekills Member Posts: 21
    Gr8t;

Just when I was looking to buy I came across this article over at cars.com
    ----
    Volkswagen is warning 426,000 VW Passat and Audi A4 owners of an engine oil sludge problem, and the Center for Auto Safety is asking the Chrysler Group to correct sludge problems and extend the warranty on 2.7-liter V-6 engines in 1998-2002 model year vehicles.

Sludge buildup causes engine performance to deteriorate. In extreme cases, sludge can cause engines to seize.

Affected Volkswagen models are 1.8-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engines on 1998 to 2004 Passats and 1997 to 2004 A4s. VW won’t say how many engines have been replaced or repaired, or what it is spending to fix the problem.
    -------
    Link is here http://www.cars.com/news/stories/090104_storya_an.jhtml?page=news- story&aff=national
  • jaidee1jaidee1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Do you know where the Fuse Box is? I did not have the book when I bought this car. Thanks.
    The '02 A4 3.0 fuse box is located on the driver's side of the dash board. Don't know about the '98 A4. Check it out to see if it's the same. Greg
  • jrozesjrozes Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1998 A4 1.8T at 90k. The dealer is telling me the ball joints on my upper control arms are cracked and need replacing. I've searched the forums and I understand that this is a common type of failure for Audis of this vintage.

My concern is this: the dealer is all over the map with regard to the severity of the problem. When they first told me the joints were cracked, I asked if it could wait since I was already in for a timing belt change and some other expensive repairs. Their reply was that it's not too serious a problem and that the worst that would happen is the ride would get bumpier and noisier.

Now the last time I took it in, the mechanic told me I shouldn't drive the car until they're replaced, that I would lose control of the vehicle if they failed. The way in which he said it, coupled with the previous statement that noise and vibration was all I had to worry about, really set off my BS detector. I don't feel like I can get a straight answer out of these folks now.

So is my car really an accident waiting to happen, or are they just trying to pressure me into expensive repairs? FWIW, there is no noise or vibration right now - I wouldn't think there's any problem at all if the dealer wasn't barking about it.

Thanks,
    Jonathan
  • banxbanx Member Posts: 6
    You ask "if premium gas is absolutely necessary, since it is getting more and more expensive. Has anyone had a problem using regular grade gas?" I assume the manual calls for 91 octane. You could use 87 or 89 octane, but performance will suffer. Instead of 220 hp, your car will have much less hp available. Why pay for premium performance and not get it due to having bought cheaper, lower octane gas? There are knock sensors to adjust the ignition when you use a lower octane gas than required, but if the sensor fails, you could have engine-killing detonation. Is it worth the risk? How many miles do you drive a year? If 20K miles and you get 22mpg, that's 909 gallons/yr. If you bought 93 octane instead of 87 octane, that's $.20 extra/gallon or around $182/yr, or about $3.50/wk. That's a small price to pay for full performance from your Audi. What you could do to save $1/wk is fill it with 87 octane when the gauge is down to 3/4 of a tank, then fill it with 93 octane the next time, when the gauge is down to 1/2 tank. The weighted avg of the octane will still be at 91. If this extra cost of the gas gives you pause, you may want to consider another vehicle.
  • colecole Member Posts: 67
    Has anyone had an oil sludging problem? I've got a '97 A4 1.8T but didn't receive the oil sludge letter from AoA. My low oil pressure light has been coming on intermittently for about 1 month... It's in the shop now being checked out for the 2nd time. The first time (just before the oil sludge letter was issued), they told me that I just needed an Audi oil filter!
  • oburgoburg Member Posts: 1
    Just got a new A4 1.8 CVT. There is one thing which worries me - the first time I start moving after starting the car, I feel a scratching noise and vibration through the gas pedal. It only takes a fraction of a second and goes away. A service shop says that that's how traction control is activated. But still the sound is a bit strange. Any thoughts?
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    That noise is normal and it is the ABS system running a self-check and pressurizing.

I have confimed this with many other owners over the past year so it is one of those 'they all do that' noises and nothing to worry about.

JR
  • pickupwbbpickupwbb Member Posts: 10
    I have seen a couple of posts on this and I am curious if anyone has had any luck. There seems to be a subtle sort of grinding from the rear driver's side of the car. When I turn to the right it is very noticeable but when I turn to the left it is non existent. It kind of sounds like the binding sound you hear when a 4x4 pickup drives by. Just had new brakes and new tires put on and there are no loose parts. Is this part of the Differential or Quatro system? Any help would be appreciated. O/w this car has been solid for 55k miles and some hard driving over rough dirt roads. I do have the sport suspension on this car.
  • hatemya4hatemya4 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2003 A4 1.8T and my car has been in the shop for now 22 days. It all started with oil pressure warning sign coming on all of a sudden with loud beeping. I originally thought the engine oil level was low, so I immediately filled it with a quart of oil. The warning initially went away, but the next day it came back and I had to take the car to the dealer. On the way there, my engine sounded like a car I just dragged out of a junkyard. (Together with that high pitch hissing noise everytime I come to a rolling stop, my car just looked new, but sounded like 1980 Buick) Anyways, they told me that my oil pump failed and luckily(?) the engine wasn't damaged. I am not so sure that I trust their diagnosis. Right before this happened, my driver side seat warmer was broken during 100 degree heat, so I had the car in the shop a week before this oil sludge problem occurred. I am going to look into filing for lemon law claim to get rid of this car and get something more reliable - a Japanese car. Be careful with Audi cars. Talk to people who own them before you consider owning one yourself.
    Sorry to hear about your problems. I hope that you've received the letter from Audi of America about the known oil sludge problem. Audi has extended the warranty of the 1.8T engine due to existing damage and now requires that all Audi service centers use synthetic oil during routine maintenance.

The letter from Audi should include a list of approved motor oil that should now be used in the 1.8T engine. The synthetic oil will not generate the sludge that conventional (dyno) oil can. Those owners who chose to use synthetic oil on their own (and brought it in to be used during scheduled maintenance) have not encountered any problems with oil sludge.

You were lucky that only the oil pump failed. With the pump failed, oil circulation stopped. You ran the risk of having the engine components fuse into a solid block of metal due to the missing lubrication of the oil.

I don't think you'll be qualified for any lemon law as it usually referrs to repeated attempts to repair the same problem or having the car in for repairs over XX days and within the first year of ownership.
  • winnwellwinnwell Member Posts: 8
    I just lease a new 2005 A4 3.0. Two questions:
    1) Is low gas mileage normal at first?; and
    2) When should I use the "S" gear?
    Thanks!
    I felt the same way when I got my '02. I think it's the quattro. It really wasn't that bad though. As for the "S" gear I had the same question. I use "S" quite a bit. It's a great gear. If I'm in city traffic I use it all the time. Getting on a ramp for the expressway also or when I just feel like some giddy up. At red lights when that kid is next to me and is inching up I'll put the car in "S" and give it a go. Don't be afraid to experiment and mix it up. I go from the "trip" to "S" and "D" sometimes when I'm really feeling crazy. Quite frankly, I don't care for the "D". I'd love to drive another A4 to see if it's just mine or determine if the "D" is as choppy in all of them. I pretty much only use "D" when I'm cruising. Anyway, do whatever works for you. The "S" is your friend. Enjoy and Bonne Chance
    Thanks, giggs.
    giggs, you're not alone with the choppy feeling of "D". Mine's the same way when it upshifts way too soon. I mostly drive in Tip mode because I still like to control (partially) the gear selection. I'm fairly certain that for the next car, I'll be going back to stick.

winwell, it is typical for the gas mileage to be low for the A4 (both the 3.0 and the 1.8T). Give it about 5,000 miles before noticing a climb in the fuel effeciency. I have close to 77,000 miles with mostly highway driving and get around 24mpg for my 2002 3.0.
    Excuse my ignorance, but I am still not clear as to when to use "S". In city traffic at speeds below 30-40 or on open road at speeds above, say, 60? Is it for cruising or passing and does it eat up more gas than "D"? Should I be moving when I shift in and out of "S"? Thanks.
    I believe your manual addresses your question. As I recall the S is for sporty driving as you choose. I use S when I am entering onto the freeway or in traffic and feel I will need a quicker response than I can get from D because the engine in S revs higher. I use S also because I don't want to shift in certain conditions using tiptronic. Because of the high revs your gas mileage is impacted of course but the fun is definitely there in "S" particularly if you have a 1.8T as I do. The tiptronic is also excellent for moving on and off the freeways at speed or negotiating twisties. Definitely learn the three choices you have to enhance your experience. When I first started I never used the tip, now I love it. Helps me unwind at the end of the day. Have fun.