Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• whynot1whynot1 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone ever had several electrical systems fail all at once? I have a 1998 A4 1.8T and I suddenly lost my windshield wipers, low beams, horn, turn signals, cabin fan blower, fog lights, rear defroster and outside air temp. indicator. There are also no blown fuses in the fuse box.

Please let me know if you have ever heard of this.

Thanks.
  • bob888bob888 Member Posts: 1
    Just saw your interest in new tires. Up here in East Ohio, I'm also in need of new (all season) tires. My '03 1.8Q sport stock ContiSport Contact are in need of replacement at 20000. I'm thinking of getting the ContiExtreme Contacts. They're ultra high performance all season tires. I did like the OEM high performance summer tires, but I need better winter traction. I'm hoping to have better winter traction, less wear, but with minimal performance loss. Let me know what you come up with, or if you have better suggestions. Thanks!
  • concrete1717concrete1717 Member Posts: 29
    An Edmunds search on "contiextreme" shows generally positive comments on that tire, including winter traction. Of course, just like the comments at tirerack.com, there are differing opinions.
  • monkeybonemonkeybone Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2000 a4 quattro (b6) 2.8L v6 with 35000 miles on it. I've put an additional 3000 miles on it and so far the check engine light has come on, along with the brake pad wear alert. At 38000 miles replacing the brake pads seems standard enough and my vagcomm software is showing that I need a new vaccuum hose for my intake (something that seems to be a recurring problem, at least for the 2000 and 2001 models). Other than that, I haven't had any problems with it and it's been riding like a dream. I plan on replacing the timing belt and tensioner, water pump and some other belts at 60k miles, which most people should. I'm concerned however from everyone else's posts as to problems they've had and I'm wondering if I should be expecting any problems in the near future? I hear a lot about the 1.8T, but not too many people are saying anything about/actually having problems with the 2.8. Also, too many posts from people who can't take care of their cars..someone actually complaining that their engine died after driving 20 miles with their oil light on...seriously...
  • audibeaudibe Member Posts: 1
    i have Audi A4 115HP model 2000 , the back bags door indicator is flashing permenantly light on but the back door is very well close .
    how can i trubelshot the problem , is this problem known to any expert here in the forum , many 10x , Eitan.
  • mido1mido1 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 98 A4 2.8 and last night that same thing happened to me (I suddenly lost my windshield wipers, low beams, horn, turn signals, cabin fan blower, fog lights, rear defroster and outside air temp. indicator. There are also no blown fuses in the fuse box.)
    I checked all the fuses in freezing cold snow, didn't find anything wrong. I had to wait until the sun came out so I could drive home. Have you found out what the problem is. Please let me know I really don't know what else to do.
    Thanks
  • skeeter886skeeter886 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 1998 a4 2.8 the secondary air injection pump cycles after the car is turned off and causes the battery to go dead I think it might be the relay but I can't find it. does anyboudy know where I should look. I looked under the dash and hood. Or has anybody had similar problem and have any other ideas
  • safetysafety Member Posts: 1
    I have an Audi A4 2004. The automatic transmission lights on the dash ( shift positions) just started flashing. Anyone know what this means?
  • in2b8in2b8 Member Posts: 3
    I have an '02 A4 1.8T with Audi symphony audio system. Over the last year I have had sound go from one side to another (apparently a tweeter problem) that was repaired followed by poor reception in part of the FM band. I have had the radio stay on but not work requiring unplugging of the fuse and 3 beeps from the speakers occur intermittently when turning on the car. I have had the amp, the radio, and the FM antenna replaced but the system still does not sound like it used to or like the cars in the showroom. Any ideas?
    I talked with a audi tech. and he thought it may be an ignition switch (it cuts out high amp draw items prior to start) but I will not know for sure till this thursday (first avail. appointment).

I will keep you updated and let you know what happens.
  • gunnsrgunnsr Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever get your problem solved?

I have a 2002 A4 (10,000 miles) with the same problem.

Following is the message that I sent to the fellow who sold me the car:

"Heater (and maybe air conditioner????).... since the beginning.

With the Lexus, I set the AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL to "72" and never touch it again for the year....winter or summer.

With the Audi and its dual controls, you set the temperatures (e.g. 69 and 67) and it runs until the car is so hot that you end up
    turning the unit off............when it gets too cold, you turn the unit on again......... and so on throughout your drive.

Dealer (Don Rosen) said we tested it and it is working fine (diagnostic machine).

AUDI USA said that if the dealer says it is ok.......then there is nothing that we can do."

Thank you.
  • lynnelynne Member Posts: 2
    Audi is the worst company to deal with Ive had nothing but problems with my 1996 a4, cant wait to get rid of it Audi wouldnt pay me back for the suspension problems I paid for out of my own pocket, even though they knew it was a problem A host of electrical problems too...I would NEVER buy another Audi.
  • lynnelynne Member Posts: 2
    Stay away from Audi A4, they are plagued with problems, and Audi is a horrible company to deal with. I paid for suspension and electrical problems out of my pocket before they were officially recalled items and Audi is refusing to reimburse me. Audi has been my worst nightmare. I would NEVER buy another Audi., it is a pretty and expensive piece of junk!
    I have been considering an '06 A4 Avant, but the referenced posts raise a red flag. I wonder how much of the problems relate to specific dealers vs Audi regional and corporate issues. Also, prior to '04, CR ranked Audi with below average overall reliability.
  • gunnsrgunnsr Member Posts: 2
    Refer to message # 626
  • cyberpmgcyberpmg Member Posts: 83
    For the previous person's complaint, they had bought a 1996 A4. That was the very first year that Audi released the A4. There's a good chance that there will be problems/issues that arise with the first year models. That's been true for other auto manufacturers as well.

When Audi redesigned the A4 in 2002, I had bought one of the first ones to arrive in the US. It too had it's share of issues because of being the first year of a newly designed car. Other A4s bought in late 2002 and beyond have had much higher quality and reliability than mine did. That's why I traded mine in for a 2004 model.

In 2004, Audi AG went through some management changes up top. The new VP recognizes the concerns and issues around quality control and reliability. He is focusing his efforts to address all issues with the current lineup and to work on a process to further reduce issues in the future. This effort has been evident in the successful launch of the new A6.

I would think the new A4 should also benefit from the work being done around quality control and be equally successful as the A6. The level of quality over the whole Audi line has improved over the years.

For added peace of mind, it would also be a good idea to purchase Audi's extended warranty if you plan on keeping the car past the OEM warranty period. The cost isn't that much, and can save you the cost of repair (and parts) in the future.
    It was an ignition switch that caused all of the electrical problems. The total cost was about $300.00 for parts and labor. This was for the 1.8t I'm not sure of price for 2.8.
  • kohnkekohnke Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 A4 which the oil pressure light just went on. I go the same maintenance record story. I have all mine and bought it used. There is also a gap probably between 12,000 miles and 19,000. I now have only 24,000 miles on the car. I was told that if you put up a big enough stink with Audi corporate that I would get some action. The service bulletin was dated Aug 5, 04. Anyway, have you had any luck? johnkohnke@comcast.net
  • mido1mido1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help.
  • richb1richb1 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2003 A4 1.8 and lately the moon roof has had a mind of its own. Two weeks ago, it partially opened by itself, then dropped back down. During the past week, when I pressed the switch to open it it wouldn't open unless I turned the knob to open the window all the way, closed it and then pressed the switch. It would then operate perfectly fine after that. I don't know if it's just because it hasn't been used all winter or what. The car has 41000 miles an has been fine other than this glitch. Any input would be appreciated
  • rsromanrsroman Member Posts: 2
    hey guys this is my first post, well anyway i got my first audi a4, its a 96 2.8 and i got it from an insurance auction because it was in an accident and all i need is a fender and bumper, but anyways, i think this is the second accident its been in becuase the airbag light is on and the drivers horn doesnt work, so anyone know how to fix this problem? do i get a new airbag mod chip? where would i put it? how much? also the front passenger side door doesnt open from the inside any ideas how to get it to open? no child safety lock btw. thanks ahead of time
    roma
  • cyberpmgcyberpmg Member Posts: 83
    It may be a faulty switch or a loose wire connection that could be giving you problems. Since you're still under OEM warranty, have it checked out by the dealer (no cost to you) who can repair/replace it.
  • rsromanrsroman Member Posts: 2
    my stereo also doesnt work so i was thinking of putting a custom one in, but i hear that it devalues the price of the car, any ideas?
  • rusty812rusty812 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 a4 quattro it has about 93000 miles. I been having trouble starting my car. Sometimes its starts fine but about twice a months it gives me trouble. I have to turn the ignition about 3 times to start it can i please get some info or is anyone having the same problems
  • mendlomendlo Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 1.8T Quatro and am looking for a scan tool that would provide the best assortment of features (read Audi specific codes?) at a reasonable (less than $200) price. Any suggestions?
    A 20 NOV 2004 report gives A4 the lowest rating for dynamic and overall seat/head restraint. Per IIHS: "Good geometry is a simple and necessary first step toward adequate protection and seats with bad geometry cannot begin to protect many tall occupants.". See
    http://www.hwysafety.org/safety%5Ffacts/head.htm
    I wonder what Audi is doing to obtain the "marginal", then "acceptable", and finally the "good" rating which other brands have obtained.
  • leosleos Member Posts: 1
    Adui is by far one of the worst cars for long term reliability. Buy the extended warranty because after about 60K they start to fall apart like cheap toys. The only difference is your goanna pay a heavy price. Do some research, they are plagued with problems. Look at the incessant amount of service bulletins they produce each month. The 2.8 non turbo has been their best engine so far and even it is painful to keep going. I ditched my 98 A4 after having all kinds of mechanical problems after 60K. I foolishly bought a new model in 03 and it was in the shop more times than I care to think about. It’s gone and has been replaced by a much more reliable Lexus. All in all Audi is just a poorly built vehicle in a luxury car wrapper aka Volkswagen.
  • audilightaudilight Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 1997 Audi A4 1.8T used, and have been driving it for about 3 months now... first time AUDI driver, and have just resently noticed that the pick up on my car has started to decrease. Usually I can hear my turbo start to intake air with a light whistling sound, but lately I hear nothing, along with the noticable boost loss. This makes me wonder if my turbo is damaged or broken. If any one knows of any signs to look for about this problem, or tips to check please let me know...

Thanks all
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    Check the bypass valve first - it is a lot less expensive and they can be prone to failure. If the valve is defective it could be causing the condition you describe.
  • audilightaudilight Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the help!
  • dxc001dxc001 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2002 audi a4 3.0 and for the past few weeks, no matter what the temperature setting is on its climate control system, its only blowing hot air.
    Someone told me it might be the pollen filter. If so, what does this filter do, is it needed, and how often and easy is it to replace? Also does anyone
    have any idea how much a filter would cost?
    Thanks
  • hanivwhanivw Member Posts: 1
    hello im having the same [problem like u , did u find what it is..............and can u tell me where is the headlight washer motor located at i have a 1997 audi a4 1.8 t thanks ahni let me know
  • sljslj Member Posts: 1
    The climate control fan speed in my new 2004 A4 Avant never goes below 4 bars. I had a 1999 A4 for 4 years before, and never had this problem. The air temperature is perfect... but when the air comes from the panel, it blows me away. Even when driving at night and the temperature is mild. I always have to manually lower the fan speed. Has anyone heard/experienced of this problem? Ii took it back to the dealer and they said there wasn't a problem. I disagree.
    Also, my engine runs rough and loud for the first 2-3 minutes every morning... dealer said there wasn't anything wrong,but again, I never had this issue with my other A4 (1.8T). Anyone experience this? Thanks!
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    Same thing here on mine and from what I have been told it is normal. I also find it running too high and somewhat noisy, however, it seems we have to live with it as it is part of the programming of the climate control system.

JR
  • 04eph04eph Member Posts: 2
    I've recently gone through Time Belt/Tensioner and Oil Pump problem with my A4 1.8T. I just wanted to recommend HBL in Tysons Corner (AUDI Dealership). They were so nice about everything (tried to cover as much as they can with the Audi warranty without me asking for it) and treat you like a human being. Thank you HBL Audi
  • al1d8gunal1d8gun Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a 1997 A4 1.8 Turbo Quatro with about 72,250 original miles and has been a great car till the end of last summer. I had the car serviced at the end of August because when the car turned left or right, there would be a terrible squeaking noise coming from the front suspension area. The dealership replaced both right (passenger side) upper control arms. After that service, there were no problems till the end of October where the squeaking noise, when turning, reoccurred again, which progressively got worse. Again the car was service again at the dealership where the lower control arm was replaced along with the wishbone. Come January, the car was serviced again because a squeaking noise when turning. This time, the lower control arm and the wishbone on the driver side of the car was replaced. After that replacement, there hasn’t been problems till now, when each time I turn the steering wheel left of right when I drive, I can hear the squeaking noise again and it is progressively getting worse each time I drive the car. Also, when the car goes over some minor and major bumps, sometimes, you can hear the same squeaking noise as well. Has anyone experienced this problem before and can anyone please tell me what the solution to my problems without forking over several more thousands of dollars in repairs and parts. Thanks.
  • rambo5rambo5 Member Posts: 37
    I think that I was raped by my dealer in a repair of a lower control arm. Could someone with a Chilton Flat Rate Manual look up the labor for replacement of a lower control arm assembly in a 99 A4 2.8. Thanks.
  • lilyplilyp Member Posts: 1
    I'm actually new to this message post. If you haven't already bought the tires, I'd recommend P-Zeros or Pirellis (spelling?). I own a 02 A4 1.8T and I have only had Pirellis on my car, all season tires and they are AWESOME. I lived in New England for 3 years with those tires. P-Zeros are nice too but pricey. I've used www.tirerack.com to get my tires before. Most recently my dealership have been willing to negotiate the price of the tires to match what I've found on Tire Rack and included putting them on and balance for the life of my vehicle. Not too shabby. They're great in all sorts of weather. If you really want your car to be a ripper in the snow, I'd recommend getting Pirelli Winter Tires! Good Luck.
  • lviv35lviv35 Member Posts: 5
    I was changing a flat tire when jack bended and collapsed half way up ripping through door button molding. First, Audi said that I placed it in wrong place, but when I proved them wrong they said that I must put on handbrake before lifting the car and this is listed in "tips" section of manual. Jack has installation instructions on the side and there is no word about it. If it's that important how come it's not shown as the first step in the instructions?

Did anyone had problem with Audi jack.
  • davkingdavking Member Posts: 51
    I was taught to always set the handbrake when changing a tire. But what that may have to do with causing the jack to bend, if that's what you mean, escapes me. Do you mean, perhaps, that the jack leaned as the car moved to the front or rear because the brake wasn't set?
  • rjorge3rjorge3 Member Posts: 144
    I just came back from having my first 5,000 miles maintenance (oil change) on my 2005 A4 1.8 6M. When I leased the car on January of this year, it came with free maintenance schedule included. However, I am questioning why the service manager told me to come back at 15,000??? I am used to change the oil on my other car (1994 Toyota Celica) every 3,000 miles religiously; thus I don't quite understand if it is safe to skip 10,000 miles!. Then he asked me if the car was leased, which I said yes, then he told me that he recommended to change the oil (at my expense) when I reach 10,000. Do you guys have any thoughts on that??? Is this normal for Audi (it is my first Audi).

Lastly, what would be the best way to clean the interior of the car? I have black interior and for the leather I used a leather product, but for the other plastic surfaces I tried ArmorAll and it was a disaster. I have spots and streaks all over the dash and door panels. Although the manual said to clean it with a damp clean cloth, I am afraid that this method will not protect the interior from the UV rays. Any ideas??

Thanks

R
    I change oil and filter every 5000 miles on my 01.5 A4 1.8T because I do mostly short trip city driving. I have used synthetic oil since 10k miles. Now it is recommended.
    Me again. I mispoke. I change oil every 6 months or 5000 miles. Time has always been the controller.
  • rjorge3rjorge3 Member Posts: 144
    davking...do you take it to the dealer or to an outside mechanic. If you take it to the dealer, how much do they charge? I think I'll do the same and change it every 5,000 even if I have to pay out of my pocket. I don't feel confortable waiting another 10,000. That is just crazy.

Thanks

R
    rjorge -- always have taken it to the dealer. The last time it was 61.93, not including taxes.
    Labor -- $20.00, filter -- 8.99, washer -- 0.29, oil (Mobil 1, 6.5 qts) 32.65.
  • nvertnvert Member Posts: 1
    Aight so I just bought a 97 A4 yesterday, and today while I was driving all of a sudden the power went to [non-permissible content removed] and everytime i hit the gas i hear a winding/whistling noise. I left the car there over night and am planning on taking it to the audi dealership tommorow. Anybody have any idea what could be wrong?? I'm thinking maybe the turbo or the transmission?
  • a4_drivera4_driver Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a brand new 2005 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T (B6 model) and am really satisfied with it's performance except for the fact that it makes a very faint whine or hum as it accelerates out of the lower gears at around the 2000 to 3500 RPM range. Also, the noise is not the typical sound of the turbo initiating, From a performance perspective, the car really moves. Absolutlely no detectable problems from a perfomance perspective. However, the faint noise made me take it to the dealership to see what the problem was. A quick description: the noise can only be made when the car is driven, not when up on the lift. Also, the noise is only heard after the engine is warm i.e., the car has been driven for over 30 to 45 minutes in city traffic. I took the car into the dealership where the lead technician heard the noise and acknowledged that, " this was not an ordinary noise of the engine". After a few days of investigating, the mechanics diagnosed the culprit to be the turbo booster valve and replaced it. However, the noise is still barely heard and not as often (they improved the situation, they just didn't fix it totally). The Audi technician has acknowledged the noise is still there and is "submitting the problem" to Audi tech support to see if there is an existing remedy to the situation. I am still quite happy with the car and want to get to a solution. Has anybody else heard similar noises with this model car?
  • kjana1kjana1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 A4, 2.8 -- which I loved for the first 3 years. For the past 1 1/2 years it has been making a groaning, creaking noise that seems to be coming from the steering column area. It isn't directly related to turning the steering wheel however -- it seems more related to movement. I've taken it into the dealer 6-7 times (all documented) and they've never been able to fix it. Last week while driving on a residential street (thankfully) the noise was back, got louder, then the wheels snapped and the car was undriveable. I was told that a bolt which holds the wheel 'arms' together (in the shape of an inverted "V") had broken off -- and that the grinding, groaning noise I had been hearing was something probably wearing on the bolt until it broke. They assured me that the problem was fixed, the noise gone, and everyone was happy. Ten minutes after leaving the dealer the noise was back!!! I want to give the dealer one more try -- but would like to tell them to look at some specific things. Has anyone out there had any kind of similar problem? Thank you!
  • digcon442digcon442 Member Posts: 3
    Trying to blame the problems on me in regards to my Audi are ridicules. The only German cars that are worse are VWs (which are basically the same thing). The quality of Audi is crap. The cars are slow, heavy and unreliable. While they are gaining in popularity in Europe and the US they will eventually fall out of favor due people starting to find out they are cheap junk. Honda Civics are made better and more reliable. While I am not a huge fan of BMWs I never had the type of problems that Audis have. The car handles
    ok in the "twistys" but is too heavy and lacks power coming out of turns. When was the last time an A4 won a comparison in any car magazine? Audis suck.
  • jabozejaboze Member Posts: 1
    My wifes 99 Audi A4 audible alarm has just recently started going off a few times a night. It goes off at random intervals and the neighbors are pretty mad. I can't even just lock the door with the key because it automatically engages the alarm. I took it to the Audi and they said I need a new door locking mechanism and that will set me back $750. Being that there is no way i am paying that much for it does anyone know how to disable the audible alarm myself. Or has anyone ever heard of a problem like this. Any help is greatly appreciated.