Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ch1133ch1133 Member Posts: 43
    I changed fluid at at 50 K with synthetic ATF since I towed my 2800 lbs boat/trailer several times, fluid was hard to find but I think that it will save me from premature wear- $ 6 QT
    $http://www.mobiloil.com/USAEnglish/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_ATF_3309.aspx

Front brake pads look like there is 50% left hoverver rotors are shaking more and more
    no other prblems to report, transmission shifts predictibely
    2003 4 cyl
  • tsotsitsotsi Member Posts: 98
    My 2005 Highlander came with a towing package. It includes a "120-watt fan coupling" according to the description. Anybody know what that is? As far as I know, it has electric fan motors but I don't know where the coupling comes in. Could they mean a 120-watt fan motor?
  • lgjavalgjava Member Posts: 48
    Hey luvmycar1, did they figure out what was wrong with the brakes? ABS and BRAKE light sounds like TOTAL brake failure. Did you finally get the car back?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Since the engine sets sideways the radiator forced air cooling uses electric fans. My guess would be that with the trailer towing package the standard fan gets upgraded, as well it should.
  • lmn908lmn908 Member Posts: 34
    Graham:

I can only locate one of the emergency towing eyes in a slot in the tool area at the rear. Are having both unique to Australian Highlanders, or where should I be looking?

Thanks,

Larry
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

I suspect that the dealership probably dumps the other towing hook for some markets. You only need one for towing so the second one is a bit redundant after delivery. Here in Australia, most dealers deliver the vehicle with both eyes, one in the place in the tool tray and the second lieing around somewhere. It like when you buy a PC and ge the power cords suitable for use in Thailand. Weird but not much use.

Cheers

Graham
  • hilandr05hilandr05 Member Posts: 18
    On 2005, from what I read in the manual I do not see a way to reset the Average MPG. I am not interested in the total mileage since new, it would be more useful to know the average MPG on the current tank of gas or the current trip. On my Town & Country I was accustomed to resetting the "trip computer" every time I filled up so I could see what was happening on that tank of gas.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Average mph resets at each opening of the fuel cap. When you get back into the vehicle, it will show the last saved value but then starts measuring for the new tankfull from that point forward. Look at it in the first couple of miles and you will see it surges quite a bit until you have gone a mile or two.

Cheers

Graham
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    "Average mph resets at each opening of the fuel cap"

Actually, I don't think this is totaly accurate. In fact, I was just going to post a question in this regards. I have just filled the Highlander, and the avg MPG did not reset. I only put in 5 gallons, as we are getting ready to take a road trip today, and didn't want to have to stop for gas along the way.

It appears that there is a certain level that the tank must drop below before it will reset.

So, my question far anyone who knows, at what level must the tank be drained to reset the average MPG computer??? It doesn't seem to be tied to the cap being removed.

thanks
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    You are correct. If you have a full tank and drive a relatively short distance, then top up the tank, the average mpg will not reset.

I believe the addition of approx. 15 litres or about 4 U.S. gallons will trigger the reset.
  • lmn908lmn908 Member Posts: 34
    Thanks Graham.

My interest in the second towing hook is for use as a tie down for our kayaks, as the Highlander lacks front tow hooks underneath the car. I could probably get by with one, but actually do have a use for the second. I've rummaged through the tool compartment in back, but there is only the one in its appropriate slot.

Larry
  • stevesr1stevesr1 Member Posts: 28
    I have a 2001 Highlander 3.0L V6 A/T 57K miles and have noticed the power steering fluid getting darker in color. It looks black from the outside of the reservoir. If you look at it on the dipstick you can still see through it but it looks like there might be "soot" like particles in it giving it the discoloration. Is it possible that this is rubber from the inside of the hoses? Has anybody seen this before and know what this is?

The manual says nothing about changing the PS fluid at all but I think I'm going to change it anyway. Does anybody know the flushing procedure for sure? I think you are supposed to jack up the front end, put the return hose from the reservoir in a catch can, Then start the engine and turn the wheel from lock to lock several times to push the old fluid out. Does this sound about right?

Thanks,

Steve
  • godukegoduke Member Posts: 1
    Help - after doing some routine maintenance my check engine light came on - about 200 miles later. I found the problem - a lose vacuum hose.
    Question - what do I have to do to turn off the check engine light now that the hose is reconnected.
    Thanks
    Wipe the dipstick on a nice clean white paper towel.

Light brownish tint would be about right.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I'm sure there's a way to do it if you have the equipment that reads the codes, but you could also pull off the negative cable on the battery for a few minutes.
  • goldstongoldston Member Posts: 110
    Steve,

We have a 2001 HL also and had the dealership do the power steering fluid flush. Please note that I used the word flush not change, and I'm sorry that I don't know the exact procedure they used.

Best regards, Philip
  • scottnrosescottnrose Member Posts: 47
    The easy way is to let the light turn off by itself. It will do this AFTER you have taken 4 trips of about 10 miles or more. On the 5th start-up it will turn off. At least, this has been my experience. However, if there is something else wrong...
    On our Ford E350 MH it says the vehicle must be run 5 times with a mix of city and highway driving before the light turns off.
  • oshkoshoshkosh Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Highlander Limited with abt 8000 miles on it; turned it on and suddenly the emergency lights/flashers came on; took it to the dealer and they had to pull the whole console apart and have ordered a huge electrical part ($$$); no it wasn't a simple fuse! it is all under warranty; they let me take it back with everything working incl. turn signals just no emergency flashers. since they pulled it apart it reset my presets, lost all my navigation memory; and now it looks like my navigation error points the opposite way (i can live with it)
    just curious, happen to anyone else?
  • sinsativsinsativ Member Posts: 1
    I have a 91' Toyota pickup, great truck, have worked on the A/C, and it works perfect. For the member with the toyota highlander and the blower motor speed problem. My truck is doing the same exact thing. I have replaced the fan motor, the blower motor switch, and the blower relay. All have left the same problem. I have a friend who automatically diagnosed the problem He says the "blower resistor", a small resistor which should be located around the blower motor needs to be replaced. Check on your Highlander and see if you can find this part.
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    What do you mean by "navigation error points the opposite way"? Did you mean "arrow"? You can toggle whether the nav map is always oriented with up towards north or with up towards the direction the vehicle is facing by pressing the compass button in the upper left corner. Perhaps that is what you meant? BTW, there is a forum dedicated to navigation systems so if you need navigation answers, that is another place you can try.
  • amitra123amitra123 Member Posts: 9
    Hi:
    Could anyone please provide me a link of maintenance manual for highlander 1004 that would be great. My plan is to replace the cabin pollen filter. I have no clue where it is, and how to replace. Th dealership is asking for $50, whereas a filter costs $12 in ebay. Please help.

Also for changing engine oil, is there any washer for the engine oil pan drain nut, I need to replace??

Thanks
    Mitra
  • arizgeorge1arizgeorge1 Member Posts: 19
    Mitra, you will find the cabin air filter behind the glove box. On my 2002, the instructions for checking and replacing it is in the Owner's Manual on page 259. I would think that your 2004 info would be in the same vicinity. Incidentally, you do not have to replace the filter. Just brush it good and then wash it in soap and water. After 4 washings, my filter still looks good! Living in Arizona requires cleaning it at least twice a year. Good luck!!
    " Incidentally, you do not have to replace the filter. Just brush it good and then wash it in soap and water "

Would you know if Honda's a/c filter is the same? The filter's go for about $30 at the dealer and on my CRV, it's a royal pain to change. I have to take out the glove box, frame, and a few parts of the dash to get to it.
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    You don't need to replace the oil drain plug washer when changing the oil.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    I would respectfully disagree with that. It's a paper washer and once oil gets on it, it doesn't seat as well. I think they run about $.50 at the parts department. Well worth it to not see oil spots on the driveway. Its something I've changed with every one of my toyota's in over 10yrs of driving them. You can try not, but again, I would not recommend it.

Toyota Ken
  • highlhighl Member Posts: 32
    I recently purchased FWD V6 Toyota HL and have put on more than 2K miles. Vehicle is doing gr8. I didn't get the Navigation System when I bought the vehicle. Now I feel I really need this accessory. What are my options? Has anyone installed NS afterwards? Which brand/prodcut is good? Please suggest.

TIA
    Pash
    " Now I feel I really need this accessory "

I'm just curious, why do you feel you really need this? IMHO, a NAV system isn't worth it.
    There are a couple of forums focused soley on NAV systems, both factory and aftermarket in the forums. If you do a search, they would probably be veryhelpful.

Hope this helps.

Toyota Ken
  • rugby65rugby65 Member Posts: 81
    I have never seen a paper washer on a drain plug and I have changed oil in every vehicle I've owned. currently I own a 2003 V6 HL with 23000 miles and it has a metal washer..I also stand in front of my of HL and remove the oil filter very carefully not to let it tip up side down so as not to spill hardly any oil.
    I use a K&N filter that has a fitting that uses a socket, very easy to remove and another thing I like about the HL you don't have to jack it up to get under it.
  • johnc20johnc20 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 Highlander with Homelink. My driver visor is not staying up. Any suggestions? I started to take the visor off but then I saw the wires for the homelink and I stopped taking it apart. I would think I would just need to tighten something. Any suggestions for the mechanically challenged?
  • spencer327spencer327 Member Posts: 106
    I have a 04 HL with the NAV. I didnt really want it but had a car coming off lease and it was the only available HL. I love it, I am hooked and will have it on my next vehicle.Its at its most useful, in finding places on local streets, punch in phone #s
    addresses etc. Great in a strange town. It has taken me off expwys and brought me right to hotel parking lots. Dont buy it for expwy travel, limited value, til your stuck in traffic and looking for alternate routes.Garmin makes some very nice portable units, the biggest factor with these is how much detail available, how large an area is covered, and must you constantly update your area.Also sceen size is limited.I recommend factory install, but dont think you can do it after market.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Hey rugby65, you gotta get out more. :-) I have had several cars with the "paper" washers. I changed my oil in a '90 Celica for 10 years and bought the washers from Toyota. They are not really paper but a hard compressed cardboard. IMO, they seat better than the metal ones but should be changed each time. The cost is negligible. My current Jaguar also has the cardboard washer. I might have to try the K&N filter that has the socket fitting. I currently have a K&N air filter in my '04 Highlander.
  • highlhighl Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for thoughtful insights. Though, I do travelling mostly on expy but I do want to add some flexibility to my travel plans. I tried working with AAA maps, found it difficult to work with especially in nights and off-city driving. I will search for Garmin brand. I guess I've seen it in COSTCO.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    I just came back from the Toyota dealer, where I bought an oil filter and washer. The washer is made of aluminum. Did they give me the right one? Mine's a '02 2.4L.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    I'm sure you got the right one. I have had Toyota dealers that tape the metal washer to each box with a filter in it so you buy it automatically which is good. Other times, I have purchased a small bag and they were the cardboard ones. Since I live in the Midwest part of the year and California or Arizona the rest, I probably see more variety.
  • rugby65rugby65 Member Posts: 81
    :P "oil drain plug: The large bolt or plug that secures the drain hole in the oil pan. It is fitted with a gasket or o-ring to prevent leakage. Often the drain plug is magnetized so that any stray particles of iron will stick to it rather than lodge in some vital orifice. Also called "sump drain plug"
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    > I'm just curious, why do you feel you really need this? IMHO, a NAV system isn't worth it.

I would have thought the same until I happened to get one in a 04 HL we bought used. Now I feel almost naked without it. No more investigating/printing out routes on the Internet. No more asking my (AAA member) mother to get me maps before I go on a road trip. It's been great. Even locally I use it to determine the best route to go somewhere or to navigate around construction or other obstacles.
    Check out the Garmin 2610 great features,$600 to $700 price
    Stacks up against OEMs, really full featured, The only draw back is screen size.
    Garmin makes slightly larger sreens C320 but compromises on features..
    Try it, you'll like it.
  • eddieeeddiee Member Posts: 25
    I'm not sure if there is a trick to fix this but this happened to my 2002 as well so is probably a design flaw.

They fixed it under the 3/36K warranty so I would go that route if it is still under warranty.

The cost of the part (I guess the whole visor assembly) was $495.

Eddie
    may have an embedded fungicide to reduce the incidence of mould and mildew formation within the damp, dark, and dank A/C evaporator and its plenum area.

Washing it to have multiple uses may defeat the functionality and you might end up with an old dirty used gym socks odor emiiting from your A/C ducts.
  • t4tuckt4tuck Member Posts: 1
    i am unable to locate my pcv valve on a 6 cyl. highlander.can anyone please help?
  • jrfierojrfiero Member Posts: 123
    "may have an embedded fungicide to reduce the incidence of mould and mildew formation within the damp, dark, and dank A/C evaporator and its plenum area.

Washing it to have multiple uses may defeat the functionality and you might end up with an old dirty used gym socks odor emiiting from your A/C ducts."

On the other hand, the 2001s didn't even come with the cabin filter :( , so just cleaning the filter on the newer ones is better than nothing! And, I personally doubt there's any mildewcide in the filter. Fyi, you can put the filter in a 2001, the place for it is there, they just didn't come with them.
  • ohmygoshohmygosh Member Posts: 66
    I have an '04 Highlander with moon roof. I start hearing noises when closing it recently and should have taken it to the dealer. Well, it got stuck in the open position. Now I had to take it to the dealer and they had to replace the motor. Anyone have a similar problem ? I love this car and this is the first time I had to take it to the dealer for a mal function.
  • mmclaughlinmmclaughlin Member Posts: 6
    I have recently purchased a 2005 Highlander Limited with the 3in1 Audio System with the 6 Disk Changer. I have yet to figure out or find in the Owner's manual how to change between loaded CD's. The manual tells you just about everything else except how to choose a preloaded CD from another. Common sense tells me that one should be able to choose between CD's just like one can with radio stations. Can someone please help me with this issue or tell me if it is even possible to do? Thank you. :D
    When you're listening to the CD's, the preset buttons on the radio, numbered 1-6 corespond to the disc number. So to listen to disc 1, press the #1 on the radio, etc.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • mmclaughlinmmclaughlin Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the quick reply Ken. I could have sworn that I had already tried that but I will be patient and try it again. Thanks again. Mike.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Ken is right, of course, but here is more info!

When a CD is playing.... above the 3 and 4 buttons, there is the word DISC with an up arrow and down arrow to the sides... to skip to the next disc or previous disc, press either the 4 or 3 button.

There are a few more interesting things you can do with this radio/CD player:

to load all 6 disc at the same time (well, really 1 after another!).. hold the load button until it beeps.

The same thing can be done to eject them all 1 after another.

you can play random tracks from all the cds that are loaded by pressing the random button until it beeps.

Jeff
    Great post. That's all info that I actually didn't know myself. Always learn something new though. Thank you!

Ken