Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
  • rugby65rugby65 Member Posts: 81
    Is there really a tbs for this?--wind noise............
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    yes..here is the info...

NV002-05
    Title:
    DOOR WIND NOISE IMPROVEMENT
    Models:
    '01 - '05 Highlander
    February 10, 2005
    Introduction
    Some vehicles may exhibit wind noise coming from both the front and rear door window glass. The following repair has been developed to improve this condition.
    Applicable Vehicles
    ^ 2001 - 2005 model year Highlander vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change

Involves replacing the door trim molding
    Is it possible that some of the wind noise that people hear is coming from the cross bars on the luggage rack? This happened on my mom's van and she just took the bars off since she never uses the rack anyway and this helped a lot with the noise.

Also how would someone who has purchased a used HL know if the services have been performed on their vehicle. I hate to think you are supposed to "assume" the dealer took care of it. :confuse:
  • 03bluestone03bluestone Member Posts: 47
    I have 100k on my 2003 V6. I hope to replace the timing chain soon - I think manual suggests 80k. Anyone had any experience or problems and at what mileage??
    on my 1992 LS400 was replaced at 153,000 miles and looked as if it was good for another 150k.
  • shawkangshawkang Member Posts: 5
    I need to add some antifreeze coolant (In radiator) to my Toyota Highlander. The color has a red color. Are there any comparable brands in a regular auto parts store such as PepBoys? I'd like to avoid buying it from the dealer due to the cost. But it seems to be hard to find coolant with red color. Most are green or yellow. I was told one could only find red ones from Toyota dealers. Any suggetions would be appreciated.
    simply add water and then check the freeze level for "compatibility" with your region.
  • 03bluestone03bluestone Member Posts: 47
    Prestone makes a 50/50 pre-mixed for All makes, All Models, All Colors. About a year ago I inquired about the Toyota red at my dealer and he said he could order it - but the price was sky high!
  • dawneedawnee Member Posts: 59
    Can anyone tell me if there is anything we need to do for the auto dimming mirror with compass and outside temp to work?

If we push the "comp" button the compass/temp display shows, and then once it is on, if we push the "temp" button it goes off and visa versa. So why the 2 buttons for the same thing and does the auto dimming feature work automatically or is there something we need to do to control the intensity of headlights it senses?

May sound like a dumb question but have never had an auto dimming mirror and know from experience salesman unfortunately don't know about all the options on vehicles.
    there is something to do, but first,look to see if there is a little green light turned on, on the mirror ---lower next to the buttons? If not, then you need to push one of the buttons and hold it till the green light comes on..sorry, i don't have the instructions in front of me right now, but that might give u a start...I'll see if i have the details tomorrow, and post again.
  • bjshanbjshan Member Posts: 3
    my new highlander has just about every option they could put on it, but it doesnt have daytime running lights. since this option was so inexpensive (40$) does anyone know if its just a fuse or something i can do aftermarket?

thanks
  • bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    I recall reading that someone was able to have their HVAC system's "recirculation" mode re-calibrated so it "automatically" doesn't come on by default.
    Did a search but didn't find exactly what was done by the dealer. Has anybody had this fixed/addressed?

I have the TSB for the "famous" trans problem so I figure while my 04 Limited is at the dealer for that, I'll have them fix the "recirculation" problem and replace the rear door gas shocks.

TIA!
    I recall reading that someone was able to have their HVAC system's "recirculation" mode re-calibrated so it "automatically" doesn't come on by default
    Yes! I did have that done to my 05 Limited. Had to convince the dealer' service advisor that it was possible, but it is something they can do by changing a setting in the (i think its called) body computer I have heard it called a "CBest" option.

Hope this helps

Jeff
  • dawneedawnee Member Posts: 59
    jbollt,

The green is already on so is that all that needs to happen for the auto dimming feature to work? And does it dim with any lights in the rearview mirror or do they have to be extremely bright? I can't find anything in the owners manual about this mirror at all. I guess my question basically is 'how do I know it is working'? Had cars behind me one night and I didn't see any difference in their appearance in mirror and I thought we drove a car not too long ago that had one of these and any headlights in the mirror showed up with a green/gray tinge but maybe this one is different.

Guess I could have someone shine a flashlight in the rear window and see if there is any change to test to see if it is working properly.

Any info appreciated.
  • bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    Dawnee, hope this will help you.
    If the green light is "on", then it should be working properly.
    Your mirror has a light sensor in the front of it. This is so during the daylight, it won't dim. Understandably. :)
    To check the operation and to see if you have it working properly try this.
    You can do this during daylight hours.
    Over the opening of the front (forward facing) sensor, place a piece of masking tape or other tape that light can't get through, electrical tape works the best.
    After a few seconds, maybe longer, you'll see or should see the display (number/letters) dim. Now take a small flashlight and shine it on the rear (back facing) sensor. The mirror should dim as you shine the light at the sensor, then fade away as you remove the light.

Depending on the vehicles lights behind you, you won't always notice the mirror dimming. I've noticed this on my 04 Limited.

Don't forget to remove the tape from the front sensor.

Hope this helped! :)
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    FWIW, you might want to read from message 2932 on in Honday Odssey vs. Toyota Sienna 2005+ forum. Evidently, in the Sienna, it is apparently a fuse or jumper which enables the function. not sure if it would be the same in the Highlander, but there is a poster there willing to provide a link to a non-Edmunds site with diagrams.
  • bjshanbjshan Member Posts: 3
    i have a great local mechanic who specializes in toyota...i'll pass that on to him and see if he can "hook me up".

i'm just head over heels for this vehicle. i sold my rav 4 and this feels like luxury to me.
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    mrwb, where is the faq found? i too had this problem and although i knew what caused it, i couldn't clear out the lights. rr70
  • hl2005hl2005 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I am in MA, became a new 2005 Highlander owner and drove it 3000 miles. I cannot find in manual, but is there any free first oil change and inspection by dealer?
    My colleagues said they should, but the dealer said "No. Pay everything".
    Please tell me if you know the fact. Thanks!
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Absolutely not. Maybe on some car makes, but not most cars.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Fact is that it's a dealer option for goodwill. Some do, some don't. I think it is good PR and gets you in the habit of going to the dealer for oil changes. Some dealers never think long range.
  • tsotsitsotsi Member Posts: 98
    I have complained about the $699 I had to pay for Toyoguard, but it does include a free first oil change. My Highlander is almost ready for its first service and I will find out whether the dealer keeps the Toyoguard promise. If he does, that means Toyoguard was only 674 wasted dollars.
    would like information from some one who has changed their air filter, not the inside air but the one on the engine.
    How difficult is it to do? I have read and heard stories where owners have had it done and wound up with check engine service light coming on because the service man left some thing loose.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    I replaced mine when I first got the car with a K&N Filter. It was no problem. Took one out and put the other in. No check engine light. (3.3 V6)
  • danacmdanacm Member Posts: 2
    i have had a problem with getting the oil change and filter changed or checked each time if I go to a jiffy lube. within a weeks time the check engine light comes on. (i took it to the dealer and sure enough jiffy lube had to pay the 80 dollars for the dealer to tell them they were putting the air filter on wrong or not using the correct air filter which jiffy lube stated that they did use the proper one. Now, i took it to my mechnic since i cant trust jiffy lube and they have done it right twice but now the engine light is back on again one week after the oil change and air filter was checked. anyone been having the same problem? Im frustrated because i hate going to a dealer.
  • danacmdanacm Member Posts: 2
    i have had the same problem for 4 years now with the air filter. it is very frustrating where have you heard that other people are having the same problem?>
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    IMO the Toyoguard is worthless. I got free first oil changes on the two Toyotas I bought last year and didn't pay the Toyoguard.
  • tsotsitsotsi Member Posts: 98
    There have been a few comments on this forum about a vacuum line left disconnected after changing the air filter -- apparently it is easily pulled off during the job. Is this the only culprit causing the "check engine" to come on or are there other pitfalls? It would be nice to know what to look for before giving up and going to a dealer. Can anyone who knows of other problems when changing the filter let us know?
  • passat1.8tpassat1.8t Member Posts: 8
    First, just purchase a factory toyota air filter element.
    To change the air filter... remove the vacuum hose at the back of the air filter housing (towards the firewall)...it's a simple pinch spring clamp......why remove? when opening the air box up to remove the filter..the vacuum hose is too short and will pull off. then, just unlatch the air box cover retaining clips..flip up and open the air filter housing...swap the element out, reclip the all clamps..including the vaccum hose at the rear of the air filter housing box. < 5 minutes

fyi...the pollen filter gets pretty nasty after a couple of years...it's behind the glove box...also simple to change...your owner's manual has some simple instructions...I just removed the glove door hinges to set the door aside...to get at the pollen filter. might also want to vac out in and around the pollen filter casing...it was pretty dusty.... about a 5 minute job.
  • jhornjhorn Member Posts: 18
    I agree with passat1.8t. I changed mines once a year for both. It is an easy job. Buy parts from a Toyota dealer! I paid $20 for a cabin filter and $17 for an engine filter. It took me less than 5 minutes to finish both. It is better if you have smaller hands while changing the cabin filter.

John
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    Why purchase from dealer? Are aftermarket engine filters not up to the task?
  • vlanman25vlanman25 Member Posts: 49
    Well, it's been three years and two Toyotas (Corrola and Highlander) and I still can't believe how BAD Toyota service departments are. Shall I review?

1. I took my Corrola (about 5 months old) to a well known dealer in the Concord NH area after being told by a tire dealer I had a tire that needed balancing and that it should be done under warrantee. The service representative I spoke to refused to do it and told me it was probably a wheel bent from hitting something pointing to scratches on the wheel. She had backup there in the form of a service technician. Only until I asked to speak to the Service Manager that she agreed to balance the tire. After doing so she admitted it was out of balance. That of course fixed the problem. (talk about good will, what did that cost them to aggrevate me). Of course they were off the list.

2. Corrola goes in for routine oil change at a dealer in the Salem NH area. I get the car back with the cabin filter pulled out and my glove box (camera included face down on the display) all mixed up. Did I ask to have my car taken apart ? No, I just wanted my oil changed. Stopping around the corner for coffee soon after I noticed the oil filter loose. I tightened it by hand. Maybe if the tech didn't have to take the car apart looking for things to charge you for, he'd have had time to do the oil change properly.

3. Oil change on my Highlander at a dealer in the Tewksbury Ma area. I get the car back with an extra quart or so of oil, about an inch over the dip stick. In asking about this (maybe there's a TSR or something), I get the usual lip service from someone that probably learned how to spell Toyota last week. Interestingly, while I was there I heard the most funny explanation being told to a customer on the phone about rusted brakes on a three year old Camry and how it's not covered under warantee because they were "rusted" and not serviced when they should. . But that's another story.....

The summary of this is stay away from Toyota Service departments unless it's absolutely necessary. After three strikes, oil changes will be performed by local shops. Hopefully, I won't need warrantee service. The cars are great but, the service doesn't make the extra money to buy a Toyota worth it.

Safe driving everyone.
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    As with any make, there are good and bad service shops. My family has been driving Toyotas constantly for over 5 years now, and occasionally before that. We have never had bad service at the Toyota Service Dept we use.

I would never walk away from buying a vehicle I wanted just because the dealer's service shop is inconsistent. Just find another shop.

The are tons of horror stories out there about any other make's shops also.

Just my take on it.
  • shl72953shl72953 Member Posts: 53
    I have a '01 Highlander I bought new 60,000 miles ago from Ed Martin Toyota in Anderson, Indiana. Every time I have it serviced I get a call from Toyota asking about my satisfaction with the service I received. I never have failed to rave about the quality and competancy of the service. By and large, this is due to Brian Naylor, the service manager. Because he is determined to provide the best, it carries over to his employees and every trip to the dealership ends with me totally satisfied. I have been taking cars to various dealership for about fifty years and recognize that some dealerships aren't worth the effort to blow them up, but this doesn't apply to all of them. So, to vlanman25, I can only suggest you drop your dealer and find a new one. If you live in the Midwest, a trip to Anderson is probably cheaper than repairing the ulcer you are getting from your current dealer.
  • jhornjhorn Member Posts: 18
    Landdriver,

I bought an engine filter from Purolator for $16. No difference in price. I like the OEM filter from Toyota because it shows you the position to place the filter correctly in the air box.

The Service and Parts department in Spitzer Toyota in Monroeville, PA is very nice. I am always treated as a king, so is my car. That is another season I keep coming back there.
    Ditto here, nothing but good expereinces from two Toyota dealers here in Orlando.
    Mixed bag here -- took my Toyota in for routine maintenance -- they washed and waxed the car for free, an unexpected pleasure, but I later discovered they forgot to reinstall a couple of bolts in the engine compartment.
  • splatsterhoundsplatsterhound Member Posts: 149
    I'm curious if anyone else has terrible hesitation in 2005 v6 highlander (4wd) transmissions? A relative of mine bought a new Highlander a few months ago and it's possible to put the gas pedal to the floor and let it up without any rise in rpm. In fact you can sit and push and release the gas pedal over and over and there's absolutely no response from the engine.It just sits and idles. I think this delay -- maybe a half second or so -- is dangerous, and I've told my relative to take this back to the dealer. He's reluctant because he thinks that's just the way Toyota designed it. I think it's dangerous. Anyone else notice this delay? It also happens when you drive it. Push the gas down to make a quick emergency move and the engine hesitates....I'd appreciate feedback.

Thanks.
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    We've used Tim's Toyota in Prescott, AZ for a long time and always had great service. They are friendly and will call to follow-up with you. Their prices are competitive with local shops and I never have to worry when going there. Certainly, I can't say that about the last Chevy dealer in the same area that always was botching things up...but we are fortunate to have Tim's....good dealers are out there...it will always be YMMV.
    Many folks who own a Toyota or Lexus with e-throttle built since about 2002 seems to be having an engine hesitation problem. Some complain of a delay of actual acceleration of as much as 3 seconds.
    I just got back from a business trip and the Buick Lesabre I rented had horrible hesitation. It got to a point where I would punch it a second or two before I thought I'd need it. Not a good idea because if it did kick in immediately I would have rear ended the guy in front of me.
    So although my HL doesn't have the hesitation, I sincerely sympathize with those that do.
    The HL hesitation issue has been discussed in detail on this board; do an advanced search on "hesitation" within message text in location "Toyota Highlander Owners: Problems and Solutions" for more info. It's such a popular topic that a separate board has been created for it entitled "Engine Hesitation (All makes/models)" so check that out as well.
  • vlanman25vlanman25 Member Posts: 49
    Thanks to everyone for their response. Perhaps I just hit a string of bad luck, perhaps things are a little worse in the Northeast? At any rate, I 'll take the general adivice of trying to find a dealer that is a little more on the ball.

Hearing good comments regarding dealerships at least gives me some confidence that if I needed serious work on the cars, there might be a Toyota dealership that can do it competantly.

Regards and safe driving.
  • cfaguycfaguy Member Posts: 1
    rr70, I also had same problem,went to FAQ
    Pulled fuse, lights are out
    I don't have a transmission problem but I'm at 30000 miles and I'm wondering how many of you believe in having the transmission flushed and new fluid. I had a 1989 olds 98 with 120000, sold it to friend who is still driving it. never touched the transmission.
    How about the power steering do you have it flushed? I will consider having it done at 75000.
    I want to know what you think, not what we have read about doing it on different auto web sites.
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    rugby65:

I've always changed out my trans fluid regularly. I consider it cheap insurance since I keep my vehicles for at least 5 years. A friend of mine works for Mobil and showed me some 'internal' documents regarding fluid breakdown. It was interesting to see that the 3k oil change interval is bunk (their oil engineers recommend 5k for most cars) and that trans fluid shows much less ability to fend off heat and to lubricate properly at the 30k mark than they thought. It goes on to point out several more advantages to changing trans fluid, expecially with the workout that the fluid gets in todays more modern transmissions (like my Highlander's 5 spd auto). I change the trans fluid twice as much as Harley recommends for my bike and I've never had a trans failure in over 1 million miles on various bikes. I can't say the same for my friends, who think trans fluid is not as important. I just carry over the philosophy to my cars and, IMHO, it works.

As to PS fluid, with me it depends on the fluid condition. On Fords it deteriorates fast and I flushed it at 30k, then every 15k. GM, Honda, and Toyota seem to fair much better and I've only done it on a high-mileage GM. You don't really see it in manuals at all; however, changing the fluid is cheap insurance when you keep a vehicle a long time. I also will flush the brake fluid, but only when I do a full brake job. I see both of these systems as closed and unless something gets in to contaminate them, they should work fine.

My .02

Robert
  • spindryspindry Member Posts: 1
    Once or twice...my solution was the steering wheel needed to be turned somewhat to release it. I assumed you were speaking about changing from
    Park to Drive(or Revserse) after having removed the key with the steering wheel turned in or out etc.
  • bay212bay212 Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased 05 V6 FWD..there is a switch to turn on-off the trac-control option.I did try it while the engine running and there was no indication anywhere on the guages or the switch to know if it was on or off..If I turn the ign. off back on.the trac off light comes on on the guages no matter what position the switch is on...Any suggestions....Thanks
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    If it's not too far for you to drive, you might try Acton Toyota on Route 2A in Acton, Mass. I have been using their service department since 1994 when I bought a Corolla wagon. We now use them for a Matrix and a Highlander.