Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• staciastacia Member Posts: 1
    I have been seriously looking at buying 06 Highlander 4x4 V6. Has anyone had any problems to report yet? Any words of wisdom or advice? Thanks
  • bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    This topic has been discussed in the past but has anybody re-programmed their HVAC so the recirculation isn't automatically default when temp. requires it?
    BTW, it's an '04 HL Limited.

I told my dealer that it can be changed in the CBest setting but they were clueless on how to do it.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks guys/gals! :P
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    "they were clueless on how to do it. "

My service advisor said: "it can't be done..that's the way it is"
    NOT! It IS done!

I insisted, and they called the shop foreman, who knew how to do it.....I'd ask your dealer again, or see a different dealer. It takes only a couple of minutes, they hook up a hand held device to port under the steering wheel (I think thats where it is) and select the proper option on their screen. Very simple, I understand.

I DON'T have the recirc come on automatically anymore....YEAH! you can also.

Jeff
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The A/C, climate control system designers have been making this mistake for as long as A/C has been used in cars.

It is highly typical that in these instances, hot day, bright sunlight, closed car, the interior atmosphere will be significantly hotter than the outside air. What is puzzling to me is while automatically switching the system to recirculate, forcing the A/C to deal, cool, the superheated air within the vehicle, the owners manual often recommends lowing the rear windows during the early drive to exhaust that HOT cabin air.

Obviously the more proper procedure would be to initally leave the system on fresh airflow, maybe turn the blower up a bit to quickly exhaust the HOT airflow via the (typically smallish) exhauster port, and then once the inside air temperature is near the outside, switch to recirculate to increase the A/C efficiency, reduce the A/C load, and conserve fuel.
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    No serious problems or anything like that with the HL -- go for it! It's a great car, the 4x4 handles itself in snow admirably (after replacing the factory tires with some that have good snow traction). It's a car people fall in love with!

(The HL is very dependable generally although some posters have experienced a few problems: minor interior rattles, wind noise, steering wheel clicking/rubbing noise, excessive engine vibration when idling, engine/drivetrain vibration at highway speeds, brake rotors warping, and engine hesitation when suddenly flooring the gas pedal while going 20-35 mph -- if you don't notice any of these during the test drive then you should be ok.)
  • brisintrepidbrisintrepid Member Posts: 21
    does anyone one know how i would go about getting information on repairs made on a factory warranty. i am looking at a used 04 highlander(v6 moonroof,fog lights) in new york with 14000 miles and the nissan dealer that has it offered it to me for 21000 dollars seems to good to be true i have the vin # car fax checks out ok.. but i was wondering if i could get a vin check for all repairs made under warranty through toyota? is this private info or can i just stroll into a dealer and ask for it? i really dont wanna buy a money pit any thought comments? thanks a lot
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It depends on the dealer but if you go to a Toyota shop with the VIN and tell the service writer you are thinking of buying it, they may be willing to pull up the repair history and tell you about it, or give you a print out of some sort. They should have access to the service records no matter which dealer did the work.

Steve, Host
  • jrhflajrhfla Member Posts: 13
    The "clunking" sensation started at about 45,000 miles. It has become more pronounced by the week. My car now has 52,000 miles. It started as a very subtle sensation in the steering wheel when turning corners at normal traffic speed - side to side motion. As it worsened, it became more pronounced. It then also started occurring when accelerating and braking suddenly - backward and forward motion. The steering wheel also feels loose.

In another posting here, a reader mentioned that his dealership replaced his steering column shaft assembly (part # 45220-48150). This is the same part that my dealer has ordered for me. I will get the repair done on Feb.23.

The estimate given to me is $250 for the part and $250 for labor. This is only covered by the 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty so I'm stuck paying for it.
  • wtpd150wtpd150 Member Posts: 7
    I'm new to this site, so please forgive me if this has been addressed already. I purchased my 2005 Highlander in January 2005 with the NAV System. I noticed that a lot of street names were wrong. I question my dealership about it and they told me that I have the most recent version, which is version 04.2. They said I would have to wait until the new version comes out next year. So I patiently waited until January 2006 and the new 5.1 version is now out. I drove a 2006 model with the new 5.1 version and what a difference. The street names are correct. I told the dealership, but they want me to pay $250.00 for the new version. I don't think its fair that I have to pay to fix something that was wrong from the get go. Can anyone please give me some advice on what I can do. No one will help at Toyota. I called everyone. I spoke with all the Managers. I spoke with Toyota directly and no one will help. They said pay for the new version or too bad. Please, if anyone can help. let me know and thank you to all.
  • master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    Welcome! Here's a helpful suggestion, when you scroll up to where it has the page numbers, there's a small box for typing and it says search this discusstion next to it - - you can type in any words in there to find out if others have been typing those words. For example, I typed in "navigation problems" and there wasn't anything about wrong streets. Well, if Toyota HEADQUARTERS told you if you don't pay, leave us alone, not much can be done unfortunately.

But even if others are having this problem, it's set up like that in the system so it probably can't be changed, unless you buy a better one. Best of luck :)
    Thank you on the suggestion for finding the information and thank you for your insight on my problem. I appreciate your response.
  • hylynerhylyner Member Posts: 216
    Before abandoning your nav unit, you might want to inquire if it can be reprogammed by the manufacturer with the current database. (Garmin, Magellan, etc) Most satellite based nav devices have that capability, and manufacturers offer database updates for a small fee. $250.00 is a ridiculous amount--most charges for updates are in the $50.00 range. I think your dealer is not being truthful. Besides, It seems odd that you were'nt advised of update options when the vehicle was purchased.
    No problem - my pleasure! :) I enjoy helping people that are kind!
    Thank you (hylyner) for that information. I will look into it. I appriciate all the help I can get with my situation.
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    I'd be pretty steamed too if I had to pay $250 to get the street names to appear correctly -- seems to be a software bug or just corrupted data in the earlier version. A long-shot but if there are any HLs left on the dealer lot with the old version, verify the street names show up wrong there too. If not, then the problem may be with your unit only and thus they should be compelled to fix it. Otherwise you might try arbitration if your purchase contract stated problems are to be resolved via this route -- if the street names are wrong, that it obviously isn't working correctly seems to be a sound argument to me! Also try another dealership if you haven't done so already.

Good luck and keep us posted!
  • jrhflajrhfla Member Posts: 13
    Repair completed on Feb.23. $490. (The part was $240.) My HL drives like when it was new. At least the repair fixed the problem. I'm still very disappointed with Toyota that I had to replace part of a steering column. The service manager said that Toyota is using a universal joint in the steering column now and it wore out. I've never had to replace a steering column in 37 years of owning cars - and I've owned all brands. It's probably worth writing a letter to Torrance.
  • mattrixmattrix Member Posts: 3
    It turns out my problem was also a rear main seal oil leak. The dealer said it would be a $1000 job, but covered it under the powertrain warranty even though I was at 62K miles. They gave me warranty coverage due to "goodwill" and it has been on road for less than 60 months.

The service manager put two techs on the job and they completed it in a day. But, I am going to have to take it back in because the gear shift lever is stiff. When moving the lever it is hard to tell if you are in neutral or drive due to the stiffness.
    Thank you (landdriver). That is a good idea to check other HL's at the dealership with the same version and see if they have the same problem. I will be doing that. Thanks again.
  • tommyg12tommyg12 Member Posts: 158
    That's great news, I figured that "goodwill" would kick in. After my repair the shifter was very loose, but it took only a few minutes for the tech to correct it. Yours is probably just needing a linkage adjustment.
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    You could keep an eye on ebay. There's one out there now going for $150. Of course if you wait another year until after the next version is released, you'll be able to get version 5.l for much cheaper.

How were street names wrong? Were the names completely different? Usually I find that newer streets are missing but rarely see wrong street names.
  • brisintrepidbrisintrepid Member Posts: 21
    i have to disconnect my battery does the stock radio in a base highlander 2004 have security coded radio? thanks
    (mdchachi)...I did see the one on eBay. I emailed the seller and he told me it works in Prius and doesn't know about a Highlander. I checked with my dealer and they are idiots. They don't know what any of the numbers mean. Their response is, they don't deal with the Nav Units that much.
    Regarding the street names, a lot in my area are different on the NAV unit than what they are suppose to be. So something is definetly wrong. The 5.1 version has the names correct. And my dealer won't do anything for me. They stink! But, thank you for your response.
  • rainforestrainforest Member Posts: 3
    My 2002 4-cyl highlander has CEL on. Diagnostic code is P0141. Can you please tell me which oxygen sensor has problem that needs to be replaced? How many Oxygen Sensors do my Highlander have? I just got an Oxygen Sensor replaced last Sept.
    Thanks for your help!
  • mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    P0141 is a rear oxygen sensor heater malfunction. The heater is internal and the rear sensor must be replaced.
    Your 4 cyl has 2 oxygen sensors. One just off the exhaust manifold called the 'front' sensor. The other after the catalytic converter called the 'rear' sensor. Front and rear refer to their placement before or after the catalytic converter.
    V6's have 2 catalytic converters and 4 sensors, 2 front and 2 rear. On these they distinguish by calling them Bank 1 and Bank 2. Bank 1 being the side with cylinder 1 exhaust manifold, namely the side toward the front of the vehicle.
  • rainforestrainforest Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your info. As I mentioned, I have 1 Oxygen Sensor replaced last Sept. According to Toyota dealer, the one that was replaced was the O sensor (on the right side) for Cylinder 2 & 3. Is that right? Does P0141 mean the same Oxygen sensor or the other O sensor?
    Thanks for your help!
  • mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    O sensor, O2 sensor, Oxygen sensor, Air/Fuel sensor, Air/Fuel Ratio sensor...All different names for the same device.
    Well not exactly...

The "oxygen sensor" downstream of the catalytic converter is now used to detect a failure of the catalyst.
  • rmeiresonnermeiresonne Member Posts: 1
    braking steering in snow. my wife's highlander refuses to turn in snow it simply goes straight. the tires are bridgestone duelers, and have plentyof rubber on them. Not only the same with stopping. it goes rigth to abs and will not stop. It is the worst I have ever driven. The tires might be too worn for traction but again there is plenty left. Its just goes straight no matter what steering imput. and speed doesnt matter either, even at a very slow speed it does it. There was approx 2" on snow on top of slush. I have never had this situation.
    I have noticed, that with roadbed conditions in the extreme, extremely slippery, the ABS becomes so active just before coming to a stop that it simply doesn't come to a final stop, just keeps creeping slowly forward until you apply massive force to the brake pedal.

But I suspect that is as it should be. The ABS system is "telling" you that there is not enough traction to even stop the car safely, let alone braking and stearing simultaneously.

Time to park it or install snow chains.
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    Sounds like a tire problem to me. Install 4 new snow tires on the HL and I'll bet it handles just fine in snow. All Seasons, even new ones, are NOT snow tires and should not be used as a snow tire.
  • queenliz2125queenliz2125 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Highlander and a day ago my check engene light came on and when get there they tell me that I need a right bank sensor 1 part 89467-48011 and the cost would be $225.47 and would be two hours worth of labour, it wasn't; until later I learn that it was an oxygen sensor, should I just pay the some odd $400 or should I find someone else to do it?
    Even so they should be able to look up the Prius nav upgrade and then look up the Highlander nav upgrade and see if the part numbers are the same. I think they are but I'm not positive.
  • redsox111redsox111 Member Posts: 8
    I believe there is something stuck in my 6-cd changer (Highlander 2002) and when I press eject it will not do anything -- this has happened before and they fixed it under warranty. Is it possible to fix this myself? Also, would you recommend going to the dealer for the 90,000 mile service or should I go to an independent mechanic? Thanks!
    Help! Toyota refuses to help me. Customer satisfaction my [non-permissible content removed]! Once you buy from them you become one person and they don't care about you anymore. If there is anyone out there that is from the South Jersey area and has a 2005 Highlander with GPS DVD version 4.2, please contact me. I am looking to see if you are having the same problem as I am with the wrong street names. Thank you.
    I have that same nav version though I'm not from S Jersey. Let me know if you want me to look up something.
  • rbovarbova Member Posts: 1
    I have the same vehicle and I had only 14,000 miles when I started experiencing the same symptoms as you. I have only 18,000 miles on the vehicle now and have been waiting 3 weeks for the part (steering shaft, same as you) to be replaced. They told me it's back ordered and that is what makes me think it's a widespread problem and they can't keep up with the demand. Fortunately for me it will be covered under warranty. I think this problem is widespread and I will report this to the NHTSA and I would encourage you to do the same as well as anyone else. That's how they hold these auto manufacturers accountable for defective products and designs. You should write to Toyota and complain. That's a big bill to pay for something that should last the life of the vehicle. Here is the website for the NHTSA. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ don't wait, complain today!
  • lgjavalgjava Member Posts: 48
    My steering wheel as well feels loose, the car is a v6 2003 Highlander. I get a clunk, but from the right front wheel when I go around corners, and not from the steering column. The first time I got the feeling was driving home from an oil change at the dealership. Over all I'd say the steering is really crappy. On the highway the car goes left and right. I hope this doesn't degrade into what you guys are experiencing!
    Thanks (mdchachi), but I'm looking for someone in my area with the same version to see if they are having the same problem. I appreciate your willingness to help.
  • ajwx3ajwx3 Member Posts: 15
    I am a 2006 Honda Pilot owner who is about to sell at a big loss. The car makes too much noise (wind and road) and the dealers won't fix the loose single seals in the windows that make them noisey over rough surfaces. Before I buy another problem would owners please comment on the interior cabin noise or lack thereof. Thanks AJ
  • oilslickoilslick Member Posts: 14
    When I drive my 03 Highlander, the steering wheel squeaks when I first start it up. This is especially true when it is cold. This goes on for several minutes and then it stops. I have 43k on it,so the initial warranty is up. Any ideas on what to do about it.
    Thanks.
  • junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    I have a 2003 Highlander V6 non-limited with 35,000 miles and have experienced absolutely no problems. The only time it has been in the shop is for routine service. Also have not had any squeaks or rattles. However, one of the knobs on the roof rack came a bit loose and it did get a bit noisy. Simply tightened it and the problem went away.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    I have the '04 4-cyl FWD. It's not the quietest vehicle I've ever been in. The only way to tell if you'll be bothered by wind and road noise is to take one out for a thorough test drive. Take it on the interstate and drive it at highway speeds. At lower speeds there's not as much noise of course.
    That is normal. I drive in Canada and it does that slightly and it stops.
  • ravenhiravenhi Member Posts: 1
    had similar problem stopping in a straight line in my 2005 with less than 3000miles on odo. solved by fitting nokian hakkapelitta snow tires.
  • oilslickoilslick Member Posts: 14
    Thanks. I found that if you spray a lubricant on the steering mechanism, where it goes into the floor board, it will stop.
  • dogscandrivedogscandrive Member Posts: 1
    AJ- I am in the process of trying to decide between the Highlander and the Pilot. The prices are relatively the same. When you test drove the Pilot, was it just as noisy? Comfort level? Resale Value? Thx!
  • gwwillisgwwillis Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in a HL 4 cyl, FWD, with the 3rd Seat. Saleman indicated that even though Toyota makes he doesn't recommend. Will only use the seat twice a year when my daughter visits with kids -Do you think the extra weight makes that much difference? If so, why does Toyota make.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Go for it. I have 2004 HL 4 cyl fwd w/o the 3rd seat because Toyota won't sell one in my region although I wanted it. Yes the 3rd seat is small but it will hold kids and small adults fine. The 4 cyl has enough power except for those people wanting the fastest 0-60 times. Salesman likely wants you to buy V6 with 3rd seat.
  • jjsjjs Member Posts: 18
    Does driving with 'Snow mode' on at all times create a problem? Does it effect gas milege? I have trasmission shift delay on my HL 05. Having 'Snow mode' on makes a big difference, but I do not want to create more transmission problems later. Thanks for the information
    In some cars snow mode results in detuning, desensitizing the accelerator pedal response. In others the transaxle always starts up/off in 2nd gear.

Since the 2nd gear clutches are not designed for continual use in this manner, supplying startup torque to drive wheels with high traction, continual use might result in premature transaxle failure.