Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• pamc1pamc1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 highlander, about a year old. Just started having problems with a undetectable leak. Under my carpet is soaked, top of the carpet is dry. Toyota says I must have left my windows open, I have never left windows open. The only leak they found was a tiny one under the dash. I have a Hybrid, the only reason we found there was water under the carpet is; the vehicle cut off and then would not crank. They checked the hybrid batteries under the back seat and discovered the computer between the 2 batteries was covered with water, and it had shorted out. I feel this is a manufacturer's defect,something is leaking, perhaps in the weather stripping around the windows or etc....so check under your carpet to see if it's wet. It does cause a musty odor.
  • phrosutphrosut Member Posts: 122
    The most logical and frequent cause of this is a misaligned or clogged drain from the air conditioning condensation.

Second would be a clogged drain from the sunroof.

Phil
    THERE IS WATER UNDER MY CARPET. CHECKED THE AIR, AND SUNROOF DRAINS, BOTH ARE FINE.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    When we had water under the carpet in a 1987 Nova (aka Corolla built in California) the culprit was the A/C drain. The A/C worked fine. But most of the water was draining into the passenger compartment rather than onto the pavement because the end of the drain hose was twisted out of position. (Dealer-installed of course.) Check again for a partial plug or break, as the previous response suggested.

You're right about the windows not being left open. If that was the problem, you'd have water everywhere. Not just under the carpet.
  • bjosephsbjosephs Member Posts: 13
    I had the same problem with another car (Jetta) the problem was a small break in the seal around the windshield causing puddles in the rear seat area. This could only be fixed with a windshield replacement as the seals could not be replaced. Just a suggestion of another possible solution to the problem. By the way I have an 01 4x2 with a 4 cylinder and still love it after 72,000 miles.
  • elongrad97elongrad97 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same thing, and it has been in the dealership for FOUR DAYS now. It was a bad front driver's side wheel bearing hub, which subsequentially became a bad ALB sensor (sometimes it can be removed from the old hub and placed on the new, sometimes not), which in turn caused a problem with the backing plate -- they wouldn't tell me why other than they are not charging me for that part. My Highlander has 94,000 miles on it, with 30K added in the last year.

The sound was related to speed at 25-60 MPH...kind of a "whu-whu-whu-whu" sound, equally felt under my feet on the floor board (since it is on the front in my case).
    Good point, bjosephs. I heard about someone else with the windshield seal problem. It seems strange to me that the water would puddle in the rear seat area, but that's what this other guy reported too.
  • genadaygenaday Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had the evaporator unit in their 2001 Highlander replaced? Or can anyone tell me how to replace it? How much of the dash needs to be removed?
  • pawels1pawels1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all replies!

The problem was indeed a bad right front wheel bearing and bearing hub. It was fixed in 2 hours (and almost $500) at a local Toyota dealer. The mechanic tried to convince me that the left bearing also required replacement, since he claimed that most of the noise and vibration was coming from the left side. I authorized repairs to the right side only, and now the problem is gone!

Thanks,

Pawel
  • katzjamrkatzjamr Member Posts: 146
    one toyota hybrid owner in texas had a leak as you describe after a heavy rain with the car outside. water had gotten into the chips under the rear cargo area that control the main batteries. needless to say it was covered under warranty but would have ben expensive if not. they found that the weather stripping in the rear hatch was improperly installed.
  • gindyheadgindyhead Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 2006 Highlander about three months ago. Now that the weather has turned and it rains, I've noticed on all four doors that when I open them, rain from the exterior, above the door, falls into the car. I'm not just talking a few drops. The exterior sides of all the seats get soaked. I wanted to know if anyone else has this problem, which means it's just a bad design, or whether it was just my car. I'm not too impressed because here in SC, during the summer it rains almost every day at 3pm for 30 minutes, exactly the time I'm picking up my children.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    I had my '04 Highlander (same body as yours) for three years and it never had a problem such as you describe. Much of its time was spent in Iowa where it rains a lot too.
    We have a 2004, and my kids have complained about water from above the doors dripping onto the seats when the doors are opened in the rain. So I think there is a design element at play here. But we are talking drips onto the seating surface of the seats on the edge nearest the door, and it sounds like you are talking torrents. It may be the same problem if you keep the doors open for a long time to buckle kids into car seats.
    hCheck out my posting on this site, #3755. I had enough water in my 2006 highlander to get under the back seat and short out the hybrid batteries. I too noticed water dripping from the door weather stripping, when the doors were open and also in the front when the doors were closed. The weather stripping on the driver's door fell all the way off one day. I guess the back was leaking also, since there was water under the back seat. Check under your carpets.I had no visible signs that this was happening, until the battery shorted out. I think it's a manufacturing defect; although some on this site say the weather stripping on the back hatch was just installed improperly.
  • gencongencon Member Posts: 5
    My 06 v6 highlander has same problem for the distant siren
    noise in the 1st day of purchase. When approaching slow speed to full stop, it makes the siren noise. Now is getting
    down after 3000miles. Noticed in wet road and raining days the noise is gone, but come back in sunny day. I will it on service this Sat. The noise comes from front wheels.

Thanks for good information, I will address Toyota service tech the same.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I also have a whining noise in my 04 4 cyl HL and it sounds like it's coming from near the passenger seat. It sounds like, "you're driving too fast" or "why don't you ask directions". Sometimes the whine is worse than at other times......:grins:......
  • gencongencon Member Posts: 5
    Went to Toyata dealer, who adv it is normal transmission nosie. It did come down a bit lately.. and noise is much less but still there. No fix was done.
  • lwagnerlwagner Member Posts: 1
    I have an '04 6 cyl Highlander that very infrequently (meaning I experience this only a couple times a year on 1 hour + trips of speeds over 50mph) "chugs" I've had it happen in the winter (condensation in the gas?) and in the summer. The engine seems to bog and the car was almost jerking the first, and most "violent", time it happened. Any experiences with this or suggestions on what the mechanic should look for? Thanks!
  • jhamm1012jhamm1012 Member Posts: 1
    Jeff,

Can you tell me what eventally happened with the 05 Highlander. I am experiencing that same problem right now. Toyota has told me that there is nothing wrong with it and that it is how the transmission is. (It is with the dealership right now)

Thanks!
  • desertfox1desertfox1 Member Posts: 80
    My clock, when set to auto in my NAV system, doesn't seem to recognize I am on daylight savings time and adjust properly. I have the correct date set. I can set the time correct manually, but when I change the settings to Auto in the NAV system, the time changes back.
    I got my Highlander in Aug, and I believe is has the 5.1 CD.

How does the clock/NAV system, tell if I should be on DST and adjust when we go off it?
    Is it on the NAV CD, or somewhere else?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    desertfox1...

Your "name" implies that you just might live in AZ, or nearby, or even travel to and fro, and so the system keeps you on AZ's non-daylight saving time.

Or maybe the 5.1 DVD has the wrong DST AZ state line.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Taken from Camry woes:

'...When I already have my into the throttle (maybe 1/8??).."

Full light-throttle doesn't really fully describe the circumstances wherein a downshift delay seemingly occurs.

On FULL lift throttle followed quickly by a need to accelerate moderately or rapidly....and assuming a lower gear ratio at the onset:

The engine RPM will drop to idle as the engine/transaxle ECU commands an upshift.

Now suppose you quickly re-apply pressure to the gas pedal having been in the FULL lift-throttle "state" for just long enough for the upshift command to have been issued.

The engine being at idle results in a very low pumping rate of the fixed displacement ATF pump so once the currently in-process upshift is completed the "reserve" ATF pressure supply will have been exhausted.

So now the succeeding downshift command cannot be issued until enough time has expired for the ATF pump to have replenished ATF pressure, enough to fully and firmly seat the downshift clutches which are without doubt about to be asked to endure, sustain, a fairly high level of engine torque, once the DBW is allowed to open the throttle.

Obviously there are other sequences that might result in this same senario. Say cruising with a light, 1/8 gas pedal position, and an absolutely "normal" upshift has just begun. The DBW system drops the engine RPM to idle to more seemlessly and smoothly accomodate the upshift, but now you put your foot into it a large bit more.

Two shift sequences, an upshift followed quickly by a downshift, with the gas pedal lightly applied at "entry".

And keep in mind that with DBW the gas pedal position will not necessarily be indicative of the throttling opening. There is a bit of confusion about this for vehicles with CVT, Continuously Variable Transmissions, especially so with the wildly different, unique, CVT in many of the new hybrid drive vehicles.

With a CVT any position of the gas pedal that indicates a desire by the driver to accelerate might result in WOT engine operation. If the CVT can accomodate the "gear" ratios involved given the current roadspeed and engine RPM WOT will result in eliminating pumping losses due to throttle valve flow restrictions and thereby the most optimal FE. Keep in mind that WOT means climbing most rapidly to maximum engine RPM, not continuously operating there.
  • fjd2006fjd2006 Member Posts: 1
    My check engine light came on on my 2002 Highlander. Diagnostics showed problems with evap emmissions. Had complete new unit installed at a cost of $700.00 (because Toyota doesn't sell the pressure sensor sep.) only to find 3 weeks later the check engine light is coming on again. Has this happened to anyone?
  • daskdask Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,
    I have a v6 highlander(2004)....works great(only 6000 miles) but suddenly I noticed that the A/C button light is blinking whenever I turn on the A/C.What could be the problem my car is still under warranty, is this something serious.
    Please advise ASAP.
    Rregards
    ~dask
  • bluegold2bluegold2 Member Posts: 2
    hi,

i purchased my highlander last year brand new and I currently have 17,000 miles on it. my front brakes are starting to squeal when they are wet, but they sound fine when they are dry. they squeal only if it has been not driven for a few hours, but when i am driving around town in stop and go traffic the brakes sound just fine. i drive to work and back and use the highlander for some sporadic around of town driving. do the brakes need to be changed or is this normal?
  • desertfox1desertfox1 Member Posts: 80
    Sorry - the name only implies on my golf trips to AZ that I spend more time in the desert than Rummel.

I live in IND. My question is really - what causes the time to change when daylight savings time changes? Is it in the Nav CD or somewhere else?
    Are you in the part of Indiana that used to stay on EST year round but now observes DST?
  • nomorebenznomorebenz Member Posts: 109
    You adjust the DST manually. The Auto mode picks up the Standard time off of the GPS sats via the Nav. My other car does the same thing.
  • garywigarywi Member Posts: 54
    I just bought a 2007 Sport V6 2WD. I am feeling very pronounced engine vibration in the steering wheel. I was a little shocked for a $31K vehicle.

It happens through slow accelaration from a stop.

I drove a bunch of Highlanders and did not notice this issue. I did not drive my car before I bought it, as I decided on the car, and then just picked the color.

Have you had this issue?

Thanks

GAry
    I have just read every post on the steering wheel transmitting vibration from the engine compartment (not tire related). I have not been able to read about anyone that got a dealer to fix the problem. Is this true?
  • scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    fjd2006,

Check for a disconnected hose around the back of the air filter housing. See my previous message #3564. I've had two dealers leave this hose off on three separate occasions. Hope you didn't pay $700 because of a loose hose. Let us know how you make out.
    I just received a notice in the mail today about the above. I haven't experienced any of the listed symptoms, though (knock on wood). Anyone receive this notice or know more on what is to be done about it besides put it in the glove compartment?
    What hose is off? My car is new with 200 miles on it.
    garywi,

My message was for fjd2006.
  • ocg35manocg35man Member Posts: 52
    I received mail also regarding possible sludge problem.
    I own a 2002 Highlander V-6. I believe this mail applies to certain Toyota and Lexus models. For Highlander, 2001 and 2002 V-6 models.

It says possible sludge like build up in engine could cause
    engine damage. My car only has 55k miles on it and so far I don't see any engine related problems.

Anyone own 2001-2002 Highlander V-6 with higher mileage have any engine related problems ?
  • nejem666nejem666 Member Posts: 2
    ocg35man,

I have a 2002 AWD Highlander Limited with 155,000 km on it. I heard a lot about this "sludge" issue with some V6 Toyota engines (I believe 1998-2002).

When I took the car from the dealer (it had 143,000 km on it back then) the engine sounded OK to me and really I didn't notice anything that I should worry about. But couple of weeks after, I noticed the oil level drops about 1L every 2,000-3,000 km. Then I started to hear some knocking from the engine, especially when it's cold. I got the car with no warranty (brilliant!!) and now I'm having nightmares thinking about the engine failing on me on the highway.

Moe
    After owning a Corolla with 200,000 miles on it, with no problems in 11 years, I went out and bought the 2007 Sport, based on Consumer Reports review which was great. After reading the board, I am sick about this. At 200 miles, I have significant engine vibration in the steering wheel and gas pedal, and I am feeling the transmission upshift surge while stopping. All this for a $31K vehical? Does anyone have case numbers I can take to my Toyota dealer on these issues, or should I just pay someone to torch this vehical right now?
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    I own a 2004 Highlander with 25,000 miles. When I turn *right*, I hear clicks and receive mechanical feedback through the steering.

I read about similar complaints with V6 Highlanders. Do the V4 and V6 Highlanders use the SAME steering assembly?

I am also going to write to NHTSA. I believe if you dont write, you have no right to gripe...
  • billranbillran Member Posts: 113
    Hi,

I had the same thing on my 2005 at almost the same mileage. Take it in to the dealer and they will fix it.
    Billran, when you say the same thing, what do you mean? Vibration, or clicking in steering?

Also, what did they do to fix?

Thanks
  • edhedh Member Posts: 246
    steer click knock at low speeds and when backing up and turning- u joints bad in the steering shaft- dealer replaces intermediate shaft
    Hi,

Exacty what edh says above. A slight clicking that can be felt in the steering wheel when turning at low speed. I could feel it also while going forward at very slow speed as well. They will probably have to order the part which will take a few days, and installation takes a couple hours.
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Guys,
    I am typing this from the dealership. There is a Toyota TSB regarding this problem.

"Steering Intermediate Shaft Noise"
    TSB Notice date July 20, 2006 covering Camry, Highlander (04 and 05 model years) and Solara.

Toyota has developed a new intermediate shaft to address the clunk, pop or knock type noise when turning the steering.

If your vehicle is out of warranty, you may have to pay for the repair. Good Luck!
    Hi Billran,

Would you be able to offer an opinion on the steering wheel vibration that I have been writing about?

1500-2000 RPM in any gear except 5th, pronounced vibration in steering wheel.

My Corolla has a smoother ride right now.

Thanks!
    Hi Gary, Unfortunately I can't offer much on your vibration issue. I had a four cylinder Camry years ago that had a lot of vibration in the steering wheel. And, when I test drove the four cylinder Highlanders I also detected a bit of vibration when stopped. I have had my 6 cylinder AWD for 2 years now and 30K miles, and have never had any vibration at all. I know a couple other people with these cars and they have never mentioned it either. I think what you are experiencing is not typical for 6 cylinder Highlanders, and hopefully a dealer could isolate and fix that issue. Sorry I cant help you more. Good luck.
    I went to the dealer, and drove an 09 Sport, just like my 07. The 2006 has much less vibration in the steering wheel.

I also noticed, the power steering in the 2006 made the wheel easier to drive and turn, less heavy feel than my 2007. I also noticed that the 2007 got up through the gears more easily, passing into 3000 RPMs in basic city driving. My 2007 never gets above 2400.

Any thoughts on these observations?

Thanks!
  • mike805mike805 Member Posts: 33
    I have a friend with a similar problem. The dealer told him he needed to replace the processor (~$2500) so he took the fuze out for now. Did you ever find a solution?
  • tomdtomd Member Posts: 87
    I just picked up my '07 Highlander V6 Limited yesterday. Love it! The car only had 6 miles on it. I've only started it cold twice so far but both times, I noticed that it seems a bit rough and noisy until warmed up, at least compared to a Camry. Could this be because the engine is still so tight?
    Yes, my engine is rough. Please go drive and notice engine vibration in the steering wheel between 1800-2000 RPM. Also, notice the sloppy transmission shifting especially at lower speeds. My 07 goes into the shop this week.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Unfortunately the sloppy or hesitant transmission shifting has been around for some time now. Our 2004 V6 Limited had this malady from day one with no lasting fix. I hope you can learn to live with it. The rest of the vehicle was A1, except for a clunking noise in the steering column, but there is a fix for this.