Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tomdtomd Member Posts: 87
    Has anyone offered any explanation for the engine roughness? It is the old Camry engine. I don't see why there would be a difference.
  • izzo233izzo233 Member Posts: 7
    I purchased my '06 Highlander Jan. 2006. I have been reading about the transmission issues for months and have been having many of the shifting/upshifting/hesitating problems as other members have. I gave my tranny time to "learn" how I drive,I think 11 months is long enough.I took it to the dealer today, they called me 2 1/2 hours later to tell me that I needed a new transmission!! They gave me some vague answer as to what was wrong with it.They just said it was slipping or something.
    I am all freaked out about it so I asked all kinds of freaked out questions like:What does this do to the value of my vehicle? and the answer was that only me,the service writer and Toyota know I had a new transmission put in.Now that's an honest service writer. I asked if the tranny problem had any negative impact on my engine? No answer.I don't know if I should be up in arms about this or just shut up and hope the new tranny makes for a smoother ride.They said my new, not rebuilt tranny was coming from Jacksonville and would be installed Thursday.Any input would be appreciated.Thanks.
  • toyotagaltoyotagal Member Posts: 215
    My take on this for whatever it is worth is................you are one fortunate Highlander Driver to get a brand new transmission. Think positive your transmission is 11 months newer than your Highlander. And it didn't cost you a dime since it was still under warranty. Enjoy your new transmission and hopefully you two will live happily ever after.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Wow, you really are worrying too much about this. If it were me, I'd be ecstatic, judging from how unhappy you were before. I seriously doubt a new tranny could have adversely affected the engine or will detract from the value at all.

My advice, be happy about it and hope the problems are fixed. If they aren't, then pursue a lemon law buy back case.
  • suemedogsuemedog Member Posts: 1
    2001 Highlander
    my check engine light has just come on and before taking it in the dealership wanted to find out if anyone could help me out please.
    "VSC Trac Off" is what's showing!!
    anyone have any clue here?

thanks, Jamie
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    VSC/Trac off is a default when CEL is on. Nothing wrong with VSC/Trac system.
  • eben1eben1 Member Posts: 3
    Just found out my '01 Highlander needs the heating module replaced for almost $900. I had checked through some of the threads here and saw a few people have had this problem. Does anyone know if this is a problem with most of the 01's?
  • desertfox1desertfox1 Member Posts: 80
    Yes.
  • desertfox1desertfox1 Member Posts: 80
    So you are saying that the NAV system picks up the time via GPS?
    I have never heard of GPS downloading time. It could co-ordinate within a mapping system to know if you moved over a time zone, which is what the Auot setting is supposed to do, change the time when you drive over a time zone. The only way the car would know that is from the NAV CD, right? When I bring up he map in the NAV system, it shows the time zones properly.

You are saying that no matter where you live that when you are on daylight savings time you cannot use the Auto function since the NAV always select standard time?

The only way the car would know that is from the NAV CD, right? When I bring up he map in the NAV system, it shows the time zones properly.
    garywi,

Please keep us informed as to what they find when you bring you HL into the shop. I too notice a slight vibration in the RPM range you mention. It's slight but it's there. I thought that in 2004, they went to computer controlled motor mounts to improve smoothness.
  • nomorebenznomorebenz Member Posts: 109
    What I'm saying is that, in Auto mode, the GPS/Nav computer picks up the standard time from the clocks on the satellites.
    The Daylight savings switch is just a +/-1 hour switch that works independently of the Auto mode. For more on GPS clocks:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_clock#GPS_clocks.
  • garywigarywi Member Posts: 54
    It's now a little colder in AZ and the engine vibration in my steering wheel is bigger at 1800-2000 rpm. Anyone else? I will be in the shop next tuesday.
    Anyone address this issue? Put a large diet coke in your center console and then take a hard left turn. Your coke will find its way to the passenger floor. What is the fix? In my 07 RAV, Toyota placed rubber inserts into the cupholder to prevent the sloppyness.
  • steve772705steve772705 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to remove a toyota highlander 2004 rear view mirror? There is a small slot under the mirror mount but no obvious screws hardware. Ive seen other posts where people have broken their windshields and I dont want to cause damage. Thanx.
    Steve
  • wconnors1wconnors1 Member Posts: 3
    Just today I discovered a similar problem with my '01 Highlander. I too checked through some older threads and found others had problems with heaters only blowing hot air even when switched to AC. I'd hate to think that there is only a $900 solution. From what I've picked up in the discussions, it's not a simple do-it-yourself repair. Are there others who have had to deal with this problem and how did you resolve it. Now mind you, the extra heat at this time of year in these northern parts of Canada is not an immediate complaint. But our summers will eventually require cooler breezes.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    It is most likely a vacuum hose problem, easy to fix.
  • master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    I don't have any problems with the cup holders.
    He's talking about those huge 32+ ounce ones.

Top heavy cups will tend to fall out. Solution is to buy one size smaller. You'll survive. Trust me. :P
  • gencongencon Member Posts: 5
    My 2006 v6 4wd highlander still have this problem, and dealer cannot help and adv this is normal. I need to find a good dealer.

In a sunny day, when road is dry, get your test drive, step your brake to slow down till full stop, listen if any "distant siren" noise comes out upon meter in the range
    of 20 to 0 m range. Mine still have this annoying noise.
    I told the dealership to hold off doing anything. We put a pc of cardboard on the top of the heat dial and I can now get some heat out. Also, talked to another mechanic and he thinks he may be able to sauder it. The problem is the switch that turns the heat dial is either stuck somehow. Replacling the entire heat module is a fix, but a costly one. I will msg back once the other mechanic has looked at it and let you know what he's able to do. Seems ridiculous to pay $900 for such a small problem. Maybe try and push down on the heat dial and maybe you'll be able to get some heat temporarily.
  • wconnors1wconnors1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info. I would appreciate hearing what your mechanic comes up with. In the meantime, I have heat. Problem is . . . too much of it. The unit is ONLY producing heat and will not allow me to reduce the temperature even when the AC is engaged.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    My brother-in-law had to have a new transmission in an '87 Corolla when it was only a couple of months old. He ended up putting over 200,000 miles on the car before getting rid of it. Didn't have an impact on the engine in any way.
    At 1000 miles, I am going in to service next week. 2007 Highlander Sport, V6 FWD

Engine Vibration transmitted through steering wheel, Most pronounced at 1800-2000 RPM, Run vehicle up to 1800-2000 rpm and feather the throttle and you will feel much vibration in wheel, floor and gas pedal

High RPM Cold Start, During cold start, engine idles at 1900 RPM, You get a nice jolt when putting car in gear

Brakes too sensitive, Feels like brakes are out of adjustment, Far too much front braking, Lot’s of play in pedal before harsh brake engagement

Transmission, Car is never in correct gear. Example: At 1000 RPM, 20 MPH, car is in 5th gear? Taking foot off gas does not slow down vehicle, Will maintain speed, Car surges forward as car is shifing up to 5th gear during slow city driving. Why won’t this thing stay in 4th? Feeling like getting pushed from behind. Car is still down shifting from 4th, 3rd, to 2nd to first at 3 mph as I pull in garage. Feel surges. Can you change the shifting characteristics of this transmission? Less shifting!
    High RPM is usual in cold starts. You should be waiting the two or three minutes needed to reach temp, and idle down, before slamming it into reverse.
    When idling, I get a 'boominess' or resonance type of sound that almost sounds like a loud exhaust but if I open the door and stick my head under the car, it sound fine. Does your's sound like this? Is this maybe just a engine vibration that is being transmitted into the cabin? Maybe the motor mounts aren't doing their job. I still don't get why if this is the same engine as the old V6 Camry and ES330, it is so loud. I can believe that the ES330 has more sound insulation on the firewall but not the Camry. I will try to get back to the dealer this weekend to start another new Highlander and see if it is the same. Is is possible that they messed with the air/fuel mixture or timing in the latest software and that is adding to the noise/vibration?
    Yes, I get the loud resonance at times. All this makes me sick. I have not made the first payment yet.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    There seems to be a few complaints of odd noise that is originating from the new variable displacement A/C compressor. Turn off the A/C to see if your "noise" is reduced or alleviated.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    2-3 minutes idling is just wasting gas.Should idle at most 30 secs. Car will warm up faster when driven gently. Putting tranny into reverse when in high idle will be jerkier in most cars. I try to avoid reverse startoff in high idle if possible when parking.
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    Good advice by typesix. I concur.

Also, I've really paid attention while doing my cold weather start ups (+1 degree this AM). I have no steering wheel vibration and no jerkiness. I guess I'm luck so far (10,800 miles).

I hope Toyota will be able to rsolve these problems for those who have them. Best of luck!
    Don't you feel that the engine is considerably noiser during the first several minutes after cold starting? To me it almost sounds like a 4-cylinder (ok, maybe I'm exagerating just a bit). Anyway, I'd be curious to see how much quieter an RX350 is inside.
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    Yes, this V-6 is noisier than my first two HLs, especially at start-up. However, both of them ('01 and '02) had the 3.0L V-6.
    Now if we had a 2.0 that would really, really be quiet.(smile) With the Highlander apparently going to 3.5L in the 2008 the noise level should get even higher, right?
    From what I've read, the Lexus RX350 which uses the same 3.5L engine is actually quieter and more refined than the RX330 was. I think that in part,it is a function of how much sound insulation they put in. The insulation pad on the firewall (inside the engine compartment) in my Highlander is really not that thick. The pad in my old ES300 was thicker. The vibration could also be a function of the motor mounts which I believe are active control. Keep in mind that some of this might be marketing strategy meaning that Toyota/Lexus might not want to make the HL too quite because it so that the RX still has something to more to offer than the Highlander IMO. My guess is that the new Highlander will be quieter but still not as quiet as the RX350.
    Quieter,More Horsepower and a more efficent engine................that is awesome.

Are you sure that you are not a Toyota Salesman?
    No, I'm afraid not. I'm actually a Software Engineer.
    My Consumer Reports Auto Guide for the 07
    Highlander notes "SUV is quiet and refined" while for the 07 Lexus RX it notes "very quiet interior". Perhaps all the "quiet" for the Highlander is on the outside? (smile)
  • supersonic45supersonic45 Member Posts: 8
    I recently had a chance to drive my brother in law's 2007 Lexus with the 3.5 L engine. I compared it to my 2006 Highlander Limited which I bought in June. I can honestly say that I could not detect any difference in ride or quietness in either vehicle. The Lexus may be a little quicker with the bigger engine, but better ride quality was not at all apparent to either of us. I think he expected a noticeable difference in ride or quietness, but to me and him, there was not.
    Thanks for the reassurance, Supersonic45. Your comment will save me about 10K when I get my new wheels in a few months.
    Some of the recent comments about lesser noise insulation etc. in the Toyota had gotten me a little concerned. Although I have test driven several Highlanders and they seemed quiet relative to other vehicles driven.

Besides I don't want to fall asleep while driving.....................
    Axiously awaiting feedback.
  • gencongencon Member Posts: 5
    The problem of Highlander is making noise when reduce speed to full stop (starting from 25m / 10m rangge) decscribed as
    distant siren noise in previous posts. Mine 06 4wd purchased still have such noise. Anyone new 06 has such issue?
    Tom, I took the car in today. The dealer said there is nothing wrong with it. I filed a complaint on NHTS web site. I have an appt on 1/04/07 with the Regional Toyota Technical Representative. I also have my application for arbitration filled out. This transmission is not safe.
    Gary,

Did they hear/feel the vibration at ~1850 RPM? How about the resonance when idling? I still don't get why the engine should be so much louder than the previous generation Camry with the same engine.

BTW, when my car is fully warmed up, the temp guage needle is a little shy of the 3:00 position. It's just a hair above the next tick mark down. However, when warming up, it spends quite a long time below that tick mark, about half way between that tick mark and the next lower one. I don't know if this is normal but even on 60 degree days, it is like this. Seems awfully long to fully warm up. I wonder if the thermostat is opening too soon. I hesitate to mention this to them because I'd rather not have them tinkering around if there is no problem. Can you comment?

Thanks
    Tom, No, it was the usual dealer experience, in that they are not interested in looking for problems that are not hitting them in the face. If they don't hear a rod smashing against the inside of the engine block, then nothing could be wrong. Your temp. I would advance the heating control full to the right and see how long it takes to feel heat coming from the vents. I feel good strong heat in about 3-4 minutes. Gary
    Gary, I was just wondering if your guage responds similar to the way I described.

I was thinking of going to the dealer and seeing if my sales person would let me start another HL just to see if the loudness and the humming resonance is there at idle but I bet they won't want any part of this. They will just refer me to service. Once they sell you the car, they more or less wash their hands of stuff like that. I'm sure they wouldn't let me test drive another one to see if the vibration is there at 1800 RPM.
    I just went to the dealer, and test drove another hightlander, as if I was looking to buy. You have to do what you have to do.
    So did the one you test drove have the vibration and other problems that plagues your's?
    We are waiting with bated breath Gary to see what you came up with after test driving another Highlander at another Dealer. You did what I was going to suggest when you first said they probably would be reluctant to let you test drive another Highlander, at the dealership where you bought your wheels.
    We were finally able to fix the problem and the cost was....$0! Found some info online about how to take part of the dashboard off and reconnect the wires that enable the heat dial. Took all of 30 minutes and we did it ourselves. Below is the website we used as guidance. It looks like several people have had this problem and fixed it themselves. I am going to call Toyota USA and the dealership and raise some hell. Can't believe they would have taken $900 from us to replace the entire heating system when this is all it needed. The heat/ac work just fine now. Hope this helps. http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/highlander/32217-heater-quit-sort-of/
  • phrosutphrosut Member Posts: 122
    Thanks for that link eben1!

Another great source of info for a car that has so few problems. I bought the extended warranty and the posts about this $900 heater problem was a contributing reason.

I also bought the "money back on extended warranty if not used" and hoping to cash in on that. Have about 63,000 miles so far with no problems whatsoever.

Phil
  • edhedh Member Posts: 246
    How much was the warrant and was it a Toyota warranty or another company?