Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    robnaorobnao Member Posts: 29
    I have a 2002 limited and the drivers side sun visor recently started to fall down into the line of sight, it would not stay in the up position. My wife normally drives this vehicle and she uses the visor every day. When I called the dealer here in Hawaii I was quoted over $700 for a new visor! I realize there is a "home link" garage door opener and a vanity mirror in it and it is leather wrapped, but over $700 for a sun visor!!! I have the platinum extended warranty, but they are saying this item is not covered because it is not in the "covered" section of the warranty, but it is not in the "excluded" section either. Anyone have any suggestions?
    By the way, this is only the second problem I have ever had with this vehicle, the first was an idle sensor.
  • Options
    jrfierojrfiero Member Posts: 123
    Not that it answers your questions, but my 2001 had that problem almost immediately, and Toyota replaced it no questions asked. I'd keep on the warranty company.
  • Options
    edhedh Member Posts: 246
    design defects (not enought pre deliver testing-)
    back up lights are really dim due to poor lense design
    and remote key fob springs are weak- put it in your pocket with other keys and it goes off
  • Options
    tixtix Member Posts: 27
    Good luck. My SUNROOF broke, in the open position and they want to charge me $1,400 to fix, when the sunroof purchase option is only $900. I was only a couple thousand miles out of warrenty too.
  • Options
    Good luck. My SUNROOF broke, in the open position and they want to charge me $1,400 to fix, when the sunroof purchase option is only $900. I was only a couple thousand miles out of warranty too.
  • Options
    jaegerloujaegerlou Member Posts: 6
    check posting #3853
  • Options
    herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    Part of the problem with the back-up lights seems to be the tinted glass in the rear. Brighter bulbs would help a good bit.
  • Options
    garywigarywi Member Posts: 54
    OK, My appt is on 2/15 with a "field service rep"? What is a factory rep?
  • Options
    ajdezsoajdezso Member Posts: 7
    When I called Toyota Corporation and spoke with a customer service representative and explained my situation - I told her that the dealership was going to contact a district field service representative and she said that I would probably need to deal with the factory representative. The factory representative deals more closely with the production line of the vehicles - the field service representative deals with the service departments. The factory representative has asked me to go drive another highlander at the dealership to see if it feels the same way. I'm sure it probably does because I feel this issue is on all the vehicles. Anyway, they said they would have the factory rep come to the dealership after I drive another one and they would try to make me happy one way or another. I'm hoping for some good luck because I am so discouraged by the hoops I've had to go through.
  • Options
    eddieeeddiee Member Posts: 25
    Same thing happened to my 2002. It was replaced under (3/36K) warranty. $500 just for the part. This must be a known problem. I would push for extended warranty coverage. Since then I never pull mine down completely, to try to "save it". Others have suggested trying to "gum up" the piece that rotates.
  • Options
    brisintrepidbrisintrepid Member Posts: 21
    my brakes went all the way to floor during hard braking on ice (nearly pooping my pants) pedal stuck down to the floor 350 bucks later all fixed just turn 33000 miles is there a recall or anything on this the shop told me i bent lower steel bracket im not that strong this is really scaring me 2004 non limited . any one have this problem yet? thanks
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Other than "bent" pedal, not altogether an unusual circumstance given that the ABS was likely VERY active and the ABS pumpmotor was moving LOTS of brake fluid to help maintain brake fluid pressure. In that instance the brake pedal "stroke" distance can be quickly exhausted but not to worry the ABS pumpmotor will supplant the apparent need for more pedal travel.

Just hold the "pedal to the metal", brake pedal that is. The anti-lock system will do the rest.

You may have spent $350 bucks needlessly.
  • Options
    rlb2k7rlb2k7 Member Posts: 1
    The exact same thing happened to me. I hit a patch of ice and was sliding extremely slow towards the car in front of me, when I pressed hard on the break pedal it stuck to the floor board. I didn't use extreme force. It seemed to me like a weak bracket and my dealership wanted around $350 to replace it. I was wonder if it's something I can order and fix myself. Do you know the part number they replaced on yours?

Also, I recently had engine trouble with my highlander and the manager at the dealership was a real jerk. The car wouldn't run and he said he needed to see the defective part in person. I took the part off and brought it to him and he wouldn't even look at it, he said if I need it replaced call the headquarters. I called them and they told me I should file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. It seems like such an unorganized system. When I was buying they did everything they could to make me happy, once I owned the car the couldn't care less. My wife has a Toyota and has had similar problems. She got home and found out they charged her for a warranty that was almost $2,000 that she said she didn't want. When we went back up there they acted like they couldn't reverse it. After explaining that they'd better reverse or we'll return the car they did. Toyota seems very crooked to me and they don't stand behind their product unless they have to to keep their image up. I'll never buy another Toyota again.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Anyone else with a bent brake pedal bracket? Seems like an odd thing to have happen, even in a panic stop. May be worth a complaint to the NHTSA.
  • Options
    Can you please point out what specific part is bending?

Is it the brake foot pedal, under the rubber convering?
    Is is the brake lever arm that attaches to the brake foot pedal?
    Or, is the bend higher up under the dash?

I am getting more and more angry about this 2007 piece of trash Highlander that I just bought.

Thanks

Gary
  • Options
    Gary,

What state do you live in? I am in NC. I was supposed to meet with factory rep on Friday but I am going to be at a funeral out of town. Just wondering if we would have the same factory rep?
  • Options
    Sorry, knowing the way the anti-lock system works, basically, I would not be at all surprised at the brake pedal going full stroke with continuous braking and ABS activity.

Getting stuck there and/or bending something is entirely a different story. I would suspect a poor return spring being at fault for being stuck or maybe whatever bends from your foot pressure holds it stuck.

I could see myself, if the brake pedal did go full stroke and the ABS activity being continuous due to a slippery surface and the car begins and continues to slid on that surface, being EXTREMELY hard on the brake pedal in my PANIC to get the car to come to a stop.

Just another reason, for me, to suggest disabling ABS unless/until VSC detects impending loss of directional control.
  • Options
    Ajdezso,

I meet with the Field rep this Thurs. I live in AZ. After they tell me they can't fix all the engineering defects, I am going to give mediation a try.
  • Options
    It did not go well. The man was nice, but did not offer any indepth troubleshooting. I was sent away with nothing. My problems, if you recall are:

Problems: 1. Excessive engine vibration transmitted through steering column. 2. Excessive front braking, front brakes grab, seem out of proportion with back. Braking consistency varies. 3. Cold idle too high, 1950 RPM, transmission slams into gear. 4. Engine idle, loud resonance or “boominess”, growl in first gear. 5. Transmission erratic with inappropriate shifting. Transmission always shifting up to 5th gear at slow speeds, pushing car forward faster when not desired. Car will not downshift when appropriate. Car will drive for a mile without gas pedal input, stuck in 5th gear at 900 RPM. Car is easier to stop if put in Neutral. Excessive braking to keep car from surging forward. Toyota has had widespread problems here. It introduced a software upgrade in 2006, but it only improved slightly.

Don't buy this truck. Contact me with questions.
  • Options
    brisintrepidbrisintrepid Member Posts: 21
    under the dash (from what he told me it is between foot pedal and what ever activates the braking system ).. it was called lower brake peddle bracket by mechanic. i was told it was steel scariest thing with this truck so far had my son in the car and almost slid into my house .. now i also had the original duelers on with 33500 miles so this could be part of the problem.. left mechanic and went right to mavis and got cross terrains ill update you if anything else goes
  • Options
    tomdtomd Member Posts: 87
    Gary,

Did the rep at least acknowledge the vibration at 2000 RPM? Did he try to say it was normal? I suspect that since the new Highlander is coming out, any engineering fixes to the current model are not going to happen unless it has to do with a major safety issue. I just don't think they are going to allocate resources to investigate complaints like this, unfortunately and I don't think that the techs at the dealerships are equipped to diagnose things like this, especially if these things are "normal".
  • Options
    Yes, the rep felt the vibration, and said Highlanders of the past had worse vibration, but that this now is normal. How disrespectful huh?
  • Options
    lgjavalgjava Member Posts: 48
    Yeah, Toyota doesn't do the customer service thing, do they?

But your problem is excessive revs and braking harshly with vibration? Yeah, the brakes in my car suck too. I've been having a lot of grabbing. But my dealership sold me a damaged car and represented it as brand new one. So my problems are atypical, but Toyota's response is not.

I'd think that the dealership would do something about the rev problem though, because it's dangerous. There is a lemon law. I never used that law with my car because quite frankly I don't think it would apply. My car is simply damaged, but then a car dealership has to sell whatever they have, so you kind of wonder how many lemons are simply damaged cars?

A mechanic could go over your car, or you could write Toyota or the dealership asking what or if the car is damaged by certified mail. In some or most states they must answer or tell you if your car was previously damaged. I myself have to file two more complaints about my car (on my to do list.)

In general I think the dealership's cynically contemptuous attitude is simply business. They're cheap. They don't want to pay or fix things. But that's not consumer friendly and certainly not in your best interests, and certainly not your problem. You do have certain rights, strange as that might seem!

My dealership sends me get-55%-off-your-trade-in-and-buy-a-new-car crap in the mail.

Pretty cheeky huh? Sell a damaged vehicle with a coat of wax that has a gray rear bumper, gray side standoff panels, gray front left door, gray hood, all with a silver rear body--for 32,000 dollars.

And then send out a service tech to tell you with a patented piano tooth grin that your car was damaged-in-the-port, and then ask you to pay for a paint job on your previously damaged car, and then send out a Toyota Customer Service agent to scratch your paint and provoke you. But even better, come back in with the damaged car that you've been driving for three years, and we'll buy it back for HALF PRICE! What a great idea!

I tell ya, these kind of crooks stay up late at night thinking of this kind of crap. Ain't it the greatest? What a great deal!

Sell a damaged car to someone, buy it back for 50% of the price, sell that same person some more crap, and then sell the car that he or she traded in---to someone else.

I love it!!!!

My favorite though is the send you crap in the mail and then disappear when you go into the dealership routine. I like that one. You can't say they aren't trying even when
    it's all just a contemptuous charade. I like too how my dealership places this-car-was-serviced check on my car's report history , as if they're really doing something, and not just play acting because they sold me something damaged.

But some things are dangerous. High engine revs and bad breaking are no joke. You should file some complaints at the very least. Check your tire pressure too; at my last service check at my dealership they refilled the tires to 35 pounds, when the car recommends 30. dangerous! And then too, I told the service guy not to work on the tires. But then again, would you trust a dealership that sold you a multicolored car (I haven't even figured out how MANY colors there are!)

you have to check things out. :)
    Paul
    Paul
  • Options
    Thank you for the information. Well, I too have gotten nowhere and I gave up last Wednesday. I talked to the Factory Rep on the phone and could tell - it was my problem not there's. So I went to Honda and traded the highlander in for a Pilot. I ate about $4300.00 which I am sick about - but at least I have a car that drives without vibration. As I said before I had an 02 Highlander and there was no vibration at all and I loved the car - I can't believe the awful difference in the 07. I have had 3 toyotas and needless to say they will never get my business again. I also have a big mouth so I will make sure they lose other customers too. Instead of becoming #1 in car sales they are going to end up at the bottom at this rate. I heard they are recalling their new camrys and having to put new transmissions in those. Great way to get to #1. Good luck with whatever you decide to do - I just couldn't deal with it anymore - it was consuming all my time.
  • Options
    craigerscraigers Member Posts: 4
    So I went to Honda and traded the highlander in for a -Pilot but at least I have a car that drives without vibration

Well I wish you luck there. There have been loads of complaints about a vibration issue with Pilots, at around 70mph. There are some on the edmunds boards and a huge long string over at hondapilot.org. Does not seem like it affects everyone though, so hopefully your new ride will be vibration free.
  • Options
    toyotagaltoyotagal Member Posts: 215
    I have noted as well on the Chat Boards that there is not a single vehicle made that there are not problems for some owners. But I will stick with Consumer Reports recommendations who notes that there are much, much less complaints with Toyotas than most of the other vehicles.
  • Options
    Ajdezso, what did the factory rep say? How bad is your vibration? Where on the steering wheel did you feel it the most? Did you have the Limited or Sport?
  • Options
    scottcascottca Member Posts: 12
    With all the new electronics etc. on the new cars, do you think I should get a waranty when buying a new car and what types do they offer at Toyota and what's the cost? Thanks Angela
  • Options
    rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    Good point, toyotagal, and I agree, no maker is perfect, but Toyota is better than many others.
  • Options
    In reading this board as well as the Camry and Lexus ES350 board, IMO, Toyota/Lexus is suffering from too rapid growth as well as too many model introductions over the last 10 years or so. They are trying to be all things to all people too fast.

Does anyone know if Toyota/Lexus makes their Engineers and production people drive the models that the work on for their every day driving? I think this would be well worth the expense. If these people had to "live" with the car every day, I think that a lot of the things that we complain about would become evident to them and result in a better product in the long run.
  • Options
    Or they're sacrificing QA in favor of not making Ford and Chevy as bad as they really are.

It hasn't been but just a few years ago now that Toyota publically announced that they would begin raising prices across the board so as to allow a higher market share to Ford and GM.

Suddenly we now find that Toyota's QA is in the pits with Ford and GM still strugging and falling farther behind.
  • Options
    I agree with you 100%. I wish they would consider customer service. They seem to be unaccommodating. I will never buy another Toyota. I have a 2004 Highlander that has had numerous unusual issues which ranged from heat shields falling, brakes locking up and a faulty sunroof.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I too just had a level set on "Toyota quality". I just bought a 2006 Tundra and had a serious vibration issue from day one that was caused by 3 bad tires. I didn't feel the vibration on the test drive, only on the way home at highway speeds. The dealer offered an upgrade to Michelins, but I had to pay for the 4th tire to have a matching set to the tune of $243. I complained to the Toyota Assistance Center but they were worthless.

Yeah, I know the tire warranty is seperate but IMO it's still a reflection of Toyota quality. And I expected more from the assistance center.
  • Options
    If I were running Toyota, especially in light of the current problems they have had with some of the new models, I would hire someone to do nothing but read message boards like this one(maybe they already do this). Then, once a month, this person would present all of the comments, concerns, problems, suggestions, at a meeting attended by Engineering and Manufacturing representatives. If nothing else, this info. could be used to improve the next generation of each vehicle. If Toyota really wants to be heads and tails above everyone else, I think this would help a great deal because I'm not convinced that the dealers feed back such info. Couple this with my previous suggestion of having Engineering and Mfg. people drive the cars that they build and I think Toyota could be near impossible to beat.
  • Options
    The biggest thing that surprised me in all of that was the lack of any type of caring whatsoever from the Toyota Assistance Center. After I made the initial complaint there was not one follow up from them. I got one call from the dealer saying they would let me know in a couple days, but they never called back. I bet in the 3-4 weeks this went on, I made about 6 phone calls to get a status to either the assistance center or the dealer. The impression I got was that no one really cared.
  • Options
    I have the same thing when turning the steering wheel to the right at very low speeds, both forward and reverse. Also a FWD 'O4 Highlander 4-cyl. I'm not quite at 3 years, but the odometer has 39K so it's out of warranty. I'm taking it in on Thursday this week for service and will talk to them about the click/pop noise. IMHO Toyota should cover the repair since they knew about the defective part a year ago.

Question: Is this a safety issue, or just an annoyance? You would think Toyota would have recalled the vehicles if safety were an issue, but maybe that's giving them too much credit.
  • Options
    Service people at my dealer agree with an earlier post that it's not a safety issue. The part is on back order -- same as early last fall when someone posted something about this issue. Will cost $410.00 to replace. Service technician said he would ask the Toyota rep if they would cover it since I'm not at the 3 year mark yet. Am out of warranty because I'm at 39K on the odometer.

So I would suggest that anyone with vehicles covered by this TSB should turn off the radio and listen very carefully next time you are in a parking lot pulling into or out of a space. Also pay attention to what you feel on the wheel. If you experience this clicking/popping it's not going to get any better. Get your service department to make note of it, hopefully before warranty runs out.
  • Options
    My brakes are touchy at times, and nosedive the car as I try to stop. I have to constantly ease into braking so light as to avoid this. It feels like car I had in college. The master cylinder was bad, so all the braking force was being sent to the front brakes.

Is the pedal adjustable and is the brake force distrubution adjustable?

Thanks

Gary
  • Options
    epaluchepaluch Member Posts: 6
    Just dropped my 2005 Highlander with 27,800 miles at the dealer for an oil change / tire rotation. They called me saying that the transmission fliud is very dirty and needs to be flushed and that the owners manual reqiures it to be changed at 30K mi.
    I told him this is hard to believe and if I check my owners manual in my Highlander when I pick it up if he will pay for the flush. He said that it is required and I will be responsible for damage if I don't do it, but he won't pay for it if the owners manual doesn't have it.
    Looking for feedback please! :confuse:
  • Options
    desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    If this link works, it will show you that the trans fluid should be inspected, not necessarily changed. I would look at it yourself to see how "burnt" it looks. I put 30k miles as your present mileage.

http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/guides.php?xv=8&xy=2005&xint_id=12&v=8&y=20- 05&int_id=6
  • Options
    Have you been towing anything? I wouldn't expect the fluid to show any signs of being burnt if not. I'd get a 2nd opinion.
  • Options
    Gary, I was wondering if you still get the vibration at 2000 RPM? I found something interesting. It seems to be much worse when the car has been out in the very cold for a long time. The other day after having it a a fairly warm gargage all night, I went on a fairly long trip to the airport and it was running like a top. Could hardly notice any vib. at all. I really enjoyed the drive. However, after sitting outside all day at work yesterday with the temp. in the low teens, the vibration on the way home was awful. I don't know if it might be a motor mount issue or just the combination of the air/fuel mixture and ignition timing based on input sensor data causing this vibration. It is definitely RPM related and not speed related since it always does it at 2000 RPM at various speeds in any gear. I know that ajdjezio couldn't get the rep to admit that there was a problem so he traded his in on a Honda Pilot and I'm sure that if I bring it into the dealer, they are going to say that either they don't feel it or that it is normal. I don't think Toyota is going to put any engineering resources on this vintage Highlander unless it is a safety issue since the new one is coming out this summer. Anyway, when the car is running good, I like it a lot but it is really strange how it seems to change day to day. Even engine noise and engine coarseness changes. Very frustrating. I will interested in seeing if the 2008 is much better.
  • Options
    epaluchepaluch Member Posts: 6
    Nope, no towing. Very easy driving only. Thanks for the input. Confirms what I was thinking.....
  • Options
    I took my 2001 V6 AWD Ltd in for its annual safety/emissions inspection at 55,000 miles, and the inspector noted I need new brakes all around. He didn't fail me, but said they wouldn't last a year and recommended doing a brake job sooner rather than later.
    What have your experiences been?
    Thanks,
    Jonas
  • Options
    mcmmcm Member Posts: 11
    Hi Jonas,

I also have a 2001 V6 Limited AWD and just had the brakes done last summer at about 55K miles. I didnt complain as all I have had done was replace tires at 35K as well as wiper. Oxygen sensor failed at 58K but nothing else in 6 years. Still have orifinal battery as well!

Mike
  • Options
    Mike -
    Good point about the battery, mine's original also. I was going to replace it preventatively before the winter, but didn't get around to it.

Jonas
  • Options
    toyotagaltoyotagal Member Posts: 215
    I was wondering about the tires since when I asked the salesman he said something about them either installing Goodyears or Michelins but I had no choice. And he did say that they were "soft" tires. In my opinion something that is one cheap and to sell vehicles based upon a nice "soft" ride.

When I get replacement tires they always last a minimum of 65K.

It is too bad that we can't have an "option" as to the tires we get on new Toyotas.

My old Camry got only 20K on its tires and again the replacement tires went over 65K.
  • Options
    The tires that they provided were junk and it was tough to stretch them to 30k miles. They were the OEM BF Goodrich's (forgot which ones) but they are actually designated as passenger car tires. I went for the Micehlin LTX M/S with a 75 aspect ratio rather than the 70 as recommended by Toyota so I could use the "light truck" tire. They give a great ride, look brand new, and will never puncture given my city driving (or even light off road). Im in Wash, DC and they have been great in nasty weather. Only problem is that the larger tires give inaccurate mileage etc reading as they are one size larger.
  • Options
    As I almost begged them to do the brakes finally I'll probably do the same preventative replacement for the battery ahead of winter '07/'08. I'll let you know if it dies earlier to save you the pain :)
  • Options
    The Highlander is to hard and too stressful to drive. The transmission in the 2005-2007 Highlander is a big defect. Shifting problems, wrong gear for situation, hesitation, always in overdrive. I bought a 2007 Honda CRV. IT'S WONDERFUL. Its transmission not only adjusts for throttle position and speed, but also the grade of the road. Example, if you are traveling on a flat or slightly down hill road, the transmission will not just shift all the way through the gears like the obselete Highlander. The Honda will STAY in the appropriate gear, 3rd or 4th, until 5th is appropriate. IF you let off the gas on a hill, you get engine braking. Who would have thought?! The Honda is not in a rush to get to 5th and does not get stuck there like my old 2007 Highlander. Go read about it on the Honda web site. I encourage everyone I know to dump the Highlander as Toyota will do nothing about this.