Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• eesti006eesti006 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a brand new Topyota Highlander a week ago. A few days after I bought the car I noticed the transmission seemed to be somewhat erratic and also noticed the car seems to have difficulty deciding whether or to stay in second or third geat. Also the engine revs up too high before going from first to second speed.

When I test drove the car I didn't notice these annoyances which are of great concern. I called the Toyota Service Dept. on Friday (yesterday) and they indicated there have been problems with the Toyota Highlander not shifting intelligently . Apparently Toyota replaced the manual throttle to a sensing throttle on 06 and 07 models and they are aware of complaints. The service manager basically indicate my problems were just normal and they would check the vehicle to determine if my car received the software upgrade. But other than that there was nothing they could do. (sounds like I am screwed). The head of the service Dept indicated that it was up to Totota to supply another software upgrade not the dealership and until Toyota acknowledges they have a problem nothing will be done.

I am thinking if Toyota knows there is a problem why don't they just upgrade the problem with the correct software package. I am greatly concerned that if I am experiencing some problems this early it will only get worse.
    Dave.
  • goldmalibu02goldmalibu02 Member Posts: 2
    i checked my tires yesterday and it shows the blue lines on each tire. is it unsafe to drive at this point if those blue tread wear indicators are present?
  • toyotagaltoyotagal Member Posts: 215
    I keep seeing this type of shifting problem with the new Highlanders. However, I have never noticed it on any of the 6 Highlanders that I have test driven.

Yet I have my new Highlander coming in next week.

Is there anyone out there with an 06 or 07 Highlander that shifts just fine?
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    Yes, my '06 doesn't have it. There have been several other posters who don't have the problem. However, it is a real known problem and one to watch for. Do the test drive before you accept delivery of your new HL.
    Thanks for the Tip, Gasman.

Out of curiosity do Dealers want you to sign the papers before you take the test drive normally? Or can you wait to sign until after the test drive?
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    You can request the test drive before you sign. You have the power before you sign, dealer has it afterward. ;)
    I contacted Toyota, as my 2007 HL is due to be picked up soon. And out of concern for the transmission problems reported on the Chat Boards. And here is Toyota's response:

"Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    ,we appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns."

"We do not show any Special Service Campaigns or recalls on the transmission of the Highlander, and thus would not have any formal indication of this being a commonly reported concern."

"It is through communications such as yours that we become aware of the reactions and expectations of our customers, and we are able to review and improve upon the quality of products."

"Thank you for choosing Toyota and we hope you enjoy your new Toyota for many years and miles to come!"
  • tixtix Member Posts: 27
    Welcome to Toyotas wonderful customer service. In other words --- too bad for you. That is their standard reply for any issue which they don't want to deal with.
  • billranbillran Member Posts: 113
    toyotagal,

I can understand your concern, because of some of what is posted here. As I mentioned before our 2005 has run flawlessly for over two years and 30K miles now. Our newest addition of the 2007 has also been perfect so far. And, I know and have talked to a lot of owners who have told me theirs have run the same as mine. This issue has interested me and I have made a point of chatting with any owner I can. So far, I have not met a single person in real life who has reported any problems like this at all. So, while there are some people here reporting the issue, it would indeed seem that Toyota's statement of "would not have any formal indication of this being a commonly reported concern" very true.

I am a very happy customer who would proudly recommend the Highlander to anyone I know.

Talk to as many real people as you can and I expect you will hear that most everyone who owns one feels the same as me.

Good Luck
  • tixtix Member Posts: 27
    billran -I could not disagree with you more. Your cars are still under warranty and so the issues that you are going to have to deal with have yet to come. A lot of the issues being discussed here are not considered "safety issues" and there fore there is no motivation for Toyota to acknowledge those issues. Once you are out of your warranty coverage and you do encounter the issues which we are discussing, I will be interested in knowing how you feel. Your are lucky until then. I loved my Highlander until then also.
  • shelley3300shelley3300 Member Posts: 5
    I was wondering if any one knew if how many miles the catalytic converter is warrantied for? My mechaninic was told by a toyota mechanic that it was 100,000mi, then when I called a dealer to have it replaced they said it was not under warranty??? Thanks for any info you can pass on.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    " There are three specified major emission control components,
    covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use on 1995
    and newer vehicles:

* Catalytic converters.

* The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU).

* The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD)."

EPA Environmental Fact Sheet

This link dates back to 1996 so if someone has more current info, please speak up.

And some dealers may try to avoid the warranty by claiming abuse, like driving around with the check engine light on for weeks or failure to follow the required maintenance schedule.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Something I might add... Most dealers are leary to accept the diagnosis from an independant mechanic of a failed part. They would need to test the vehicle themselves, perhaps at cost to the vehicle owner, before confirming that it is in need of replacement, and in fact covered under warranty.
  • izzo233izzo233 Member Posts: 7
    In January '06 I bought my HL and the get go the transmission did most everything posted here. In March the dealer said that there was nothing wrong,in November, with 9,500 miles on the vehicle, they replaced the transmission. The new tranny has some similar issues just not as extreme.As much as I want to be happy with it I am not.
    The service writer has an HL and is not happy with it. He said they are waiting for an SB concerning the accelerator pedal,hesitation etc.,something about flashing it.
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    Just curious billran, but how many Toyota Highlander owners have you talked to? Do you park in a mall parking lot waiting for a Highlander to drive by than go after them to ask them how they like their vehicle? or at a gas station? Or does everybody on your street and where you work own one? And as for Toyota"s statement "would not have any formal indication of this being a commonly reported concern" All dealers of any make will tell you that "you are the first to report a problem or we have not heard of it before" ya right. And I know from experience being told the same. Take it in after the waranty runs out and they will gladly look at it and charge you for a fix even after you had it in for warranty work for the same problem, even if it isn't fixed they will take your money just for looking at it. So like I said just curious. ;)
    Glad to hear you are happy with your Highlander and good luck with them.
  • craigerscraigers Member Posts: 4
    Amazing. Let me get this straight. You don't own a Highlander. Yet you feel compelled to come to the Highlander forum and launch bitter sarcastic attacks on other posters, and rant and rave in generalities about problems you have had with out of warranty service on other cars you have owned? What's up with that? Just curious.

That attitude won't help you much at the service desk either when you have a problem. That's a fact.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    What's up with that?

I think you missed the ;) emotorcon at the end of nifty's "rant." Attempts at humor often fall flat with the written word.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Yes, if one cannot see facial (farcical??) expressions the humor point is often lost.
  • ihsvaihsva Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I am considering a 2005 Highlander with 13K on it. I am sure the car still under the original warranty. Will I be able to purchase toyota extended warranty or does that need to bought by the original owner?

Thanks
  • chris75799chris75799 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all....1st time poster here. Was wondering if anyone could help. I have a 2003 Highlander 4 x 4 and I am not sure if the "Vehicle Skid Control System" or the "Traction Control System" are working. The owners manual says the indicator lights for these systems are supposed to come on breifly when you turn the ignition to on, and then they are supposed to go out. Mine never come on at all. Never. The car shows no other abnormalities. The owners manual goes on to say that if the indicator lights do not go come on when the ignition is turned on then you should "contact your Toyota Dealer". Any know what the problem or repair might be? Thanks!

Chris
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    I don't know specifically about the standard/optional features on a 2003 Highlander, for the different trimlevel vehicles. Are you the original owner and therefore have the original paperwork? It may be that some of these were optional features.

If not.....a Toyota dealer would have the ability to look up your VIN number, and definitely tell you whether your vehicle has those features installed.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    If you are buying from a Toyota dealer have them certify the car as a Toyota Certified Pre-owned car. Then you will have a great warranty. If not, dealers will sell you third party warranties but they are usually a rip off. I think only the original owner can get the Toyota Platinum warranty that I have.
  • chris75799chris75799 Member Posts: 2
    I am the original owner...and these functions are standard equipment. The traction control system is supposed to automatically engage the four wheel drive when needed. My concern is that I am going to be using the vehicle to launch a boat and I want to make sure the four wheel drive will engage on the boat ramp if needed to pull the boat out of the water. Any other ideas?
  • danmacdanmac Member Posts: 8
    I have gotten seevral codes off the ecu san and I am not sure what they will require to resolve the problem. The codes are:
    P0440 EVAP Emisison Control Malfunction

P0441 EVAP Emission Control System Purge flow fault

P0446 EVAP Emission Control Vent Circuit Malfunction

ANyone have an idea what this ,means?
  • danmacdanmac Member Posts: 8
    I have to chance the timing belt on my 2002 Highlander I am being told by the dealer I should also change out the water pump and a few other items at the same time. IS this a standard practice based on the complexity of accessing this items?

Thanks
    Dan
    Not sure what year your vehicle is, but may be covered under warranty as emissions equipment.

I'd do a look at all of the small vacuum hoses looking for a hose off, hose split, plastic fitting broke, gas cap off, etc. Your charcoal canister might be underneath the vehicle.

Got the Camry 07 service manual out, and for a P0441 (Evaporateive Emissions Control System Incorrect Purge Flow) it says the trouble areas are:
    - Purge VSV
    - Connection/wire harness (Purge VSV ECM)
    - Canister pump module
    - Leakage from EVAP system
    - Leakage from EVAP line (Purge VSV Intake Manifold)
    - ECM

Good Luck

Edit....sorry, I just realized the 2nd post is from you as well, where you identify the vehicle as 2002. With a quick review of 2002 manual, I don't see any breakout of error codes to trouble codes. Regarding waterpump...yes. For a 6 cylinder fiber belt replacement, it is normal to replace the water pump while they have the front of the engine open. The fiber belt drives the pump, so they are right there and it is easy to replace. You don't want to have to pay a 2nd time to go in and replace the waterpump.
  • ashish2274ashish2274 Member Posts: 9
    Hi,
    I purchased a highlander 2007 4X4 6 cyl this month. One thing I have noticed is that when I release the brake there is a lot of noise. is this something which will go away with tim, or should I show it at a dealers ? I have driven some 250 miles.

Thanks,
    Probably the easiest thing to check, is to see if you have any blown fuses (there are a number of them in the control circuitry). Check the ABS's, the ECU's (B, IG, etc), and the one for the stoplight circuit. If it's not one of those, I think you're going to need to get it to the dealer. The ABS/TRAC/VSC Actuator, the Skid Control ECU, the ECM, and Sensors (Yaw Rate's, ABS's, Steering) are all part of that function.

One other thing you can test to help in diagnosing......Go out into an empty parking lot and jam on the brakes hard to see if you can get it to skid....see if the ABS is working.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Yep, I did the same thing with my 99 Honda CRV. All Honda dealers recommend it as well. Since the water pump and accessory belts also had to come off when the timing belt is changed, there is no additional labor charges to do those.
  • my001my001 Member Posts: 17
    Yes. It simply indicates the Fual Tank Door is in the driver side.
  • elongrad1997elongrad1997 Member Posts: 4
    This problem started last week. I went to fill up at the local station, and the pump shut off at 1/2 full even though it wasn't full. I assumed it was the pump and let the attendant know. At the next station, I only got $1 in before it shut off. This is when I realized it was the vehicle, not the station. The dealership thinks it could be the charcoal canister ($624 part), but aren't completely sure. I'd prefer not to find out after labor which may run me $1000 in the end. Now, when my tank gets low and the light comes on, then suddenly the gauge goes back to 1/2 full without filling up. So they think it could be both the sensor and the canister. Not what I wanted to hear. :mad:

Anyone else have this problem? :confuse: My Highlander has over 108,000.
    Hi,
    I purchased a highlander 2007 4X4 6 cyl this month. One thing I have noticed is that when I release the brake and turn the steering there is a lot of noise, which seems to be coming from the back of the vehicle . Is this something which will go away with time, or should I show it at the dealer's ? I have driven some 250 miles.

Any guidance will be deeply appreciated
    Thanks,
    If this is happening in a fairly tight accelerating turn on a slippery, even slightly so, roadbed surface then what you are likely hearing is the VSC system activating the rear brakes to prevent understearing.

Otherwise you have a VSC sensor failing.
    Thanks.....this is happening on a normal road surface......it is most pronounce when I am taking out the car from the parking lot.
    Should I take the car to the dealer ?
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    This doesn't appear normal. I would take it to the dealer as soon as possible.
    YES..!
  • tomtoytomtoy Member Posts: 2
    Also have problem with maintenance req'd light. How to turn off?
  • tomtoytomtoy Member Posts: 2
    How to turn off?
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    message # 3192 explains how to do it
  • carflashcarflash Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Have you visited your dealer? How's the result? I think I have exactly the same problem as yours. Mine is also a 2007 4X4 6 highlander with just 1000 miles. I have the same kind of noise coming from back of the car while turning the steering when the car is still, of course with brake pedal off. It seems it's kinda common problem not just your car. Thanks for sharing your experience.
  • shelley3300shelley3300 Member Posts: 5
    I have called them to make an appt for various things, and they are not very freindly or helpful! Which seems to be the trend with Toyota maintenance from what I have heard from friends and this forum (too late of course). So I am looking for a good Toyota mechanic who is out on his own. Even thinking of getting something else for a vehicle not a Toyota due to the maintenance issues! Hope you can resolve your problem with your SUV and find a good mechanic.
  • leighnerleighner Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. The water is also going into the wheelwell. Mine is also a 2001 and has just recently started this. How did you solve the problem?
  • divotmakerdivotmaker Member Posts: 2
    I just bought version 6.1 for my 06 Highlander for $220. I'm happy with the addition of streets, restaurants, and gas stations that I've seen so far.
    My new Highlander 07 runs with the temperature guage at about the half way point. Is this common for Highlanders?

On all the other vehicles that I have owned for the last 20 years including Fords, Toyotas and Hondas the temperature guage usually runs at about the one-quarter point vs. the half way point my new Highlander does.
    Mine runs at halfway (2002 Highlander) as well as all of the Honda Accords I've owned and my 07 Dodge Ram 1500. This is normal.
    Yes! I have practiced this on both of my Honda Accords ('86 & '96) and my 2002 Highlander. The reason being, if your water pump goes out after you had your belts changed, you're looking at paying more in labor for them to diassemble your engline all over again. It's all in the same area. Save yourself the money and get it all done at once around 90,000.
    Just an update, this turned out to be one of the two fuel senders which totalled about $320 after the labor. But what I found out last night, is that the new sender is bad too, as I RAN OUT OF GAS on the bypass even though the gauge read a quarter of a tank left. Rule of thumb, keep your trip meter up at all times, not your odometer. Had I realized I had 364 miles on one tank of around-the-town diving, I would have known to fill up. I never go over 300 miles ona tank.
    Interesting since I currently have a 1997 Honda Accord (original owner) and the temperature guage runs at the quarterway rather than the halfway. As all of my previously owned vehicles I have owned have done.

It does sound like no biggie running at the halfway point though since your wheels run at the halfway point on the temperature guage.
    How about some of you other Highlander owners. Does your temperature guage also run at the halfway point rather than the quarterway point?
  • kflanigankflanigan Member Posts: 7
    I'm on my 2nd Highlander (after crashing my 2002 recently). My new-to-me 2003 is exactly 1/2 way, same as 2002.