Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    '04 Limited always ran at one half. My new Rav4 also runs at one half. As a matter of fact, most all my cars have. If the Guage was only to a quarter, I would think it was malfunctioning.
  • toyotagaltoyotagal Member Posts: 215
    Perhaps it is because you are a "desert guy" that your cars run at one-half?

However, it seems your thoughts on the "half way" temperature guage being normal are consistent with what others are saying.

I on the other hand have always had all my "wheels" running well below the halfway point on the temperature guage and usually at "one quarter". Perhaps all my other vehicles including my currently owned 97 Honda Accord are malfunctioning..............(smile)

In any case, I will adjust my thinking and accept that the "half way" point is normal.

Thanks for your thoughts and those of others.
  • silverltdsilverltd Member Posts: 18
    I had a 2001 Highlander, my husband had a 2003 Highlander, and we now own a 2007 Highlander. The temperature gauge on all of them has always run at the halfway point or even just very slightly over halfway.

I remember from posts dating back to 2001 when the Highlander first came out that this is normal.
    Thanks, silveltd, I happened to be at the Toyota Dealer today and they confirmed that "halfway" is fine. They did however note that I was not alone in this concern since many new owners have this question. With their prior vehicles running near a "quarter" on the temperature guage.

Which was my problem since every care I have owned that I can remember has run at the "quarter" point.

I also asked about liquid draining from the air conditioning when the HL is turned off. And they said that was normal as well. Often times I have pretty good drainage after stopping and turning off the air conditioning. But they said as long as it was "clear" that was fine since it wasn't from the radiator.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

The condensed water vapour that flows out of the irconditioner all the time is only really apparent when you stop and it collects under the vehicle. You will notice it a lot more if the air is humid as the air conditioner is very good at pulling the moiture out of the air in the car. I suspect that the rason this is more signifcant than a sedan is to do with the volume of air in the car.

It is entirely normal.

Cheers

Graham
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    I would just add that the AC is in use even if you don't have the AC turned on but if you have the directional control set to windshield defog or half-defog. I asked about that when we got a new Toyota in 2002 because our previous vehicles didn't work that way. I wondered why it was dripping when the AC wasn't in use.
  • dutch26dutch26 Member Posts: 1
    Highlander V6 02 88K....Service manager says it's time to decide whether to keep it or not. If I want to keep it, he suggests bringing it in and having the belt, water pump, and engine seals done at one time to save money. Does this make sense?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Sure, but only for the service manager.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide says the timing belt should be done at 90k, along with replacing some fluids.
    Yes, but I know of at least three LS400s, two 92s and one 95, with 150,000 plus miles and running with the original factory timing belt, water pump, and......engine seals...??!!

The timing belt from my 92 LS400 came out at 153,000 and looked as if it might go another 150,000 miles.

15 years later and there has been no improvement in timing belt durability...???

NOT!
    I'm 12,000 miles "overdue" on my Quest belt with no plans to change it, but the engine is non-interference. Is that the case with the Highlander?
  • edvkedvk Member Posts: 8
    My service manager says that the bushings on the front end of my 2001 Highlander are cracked and need replacing. To do this, the entire lower control arm needs to be replaced.

Has anybody been thru this experience. From past experiences, bushings are cheap, but when you include the entire arm, things get pricier.

Is there a way to replace just the bushings?

Help is appreciated.
  • edhedh Member Posts: 246
    All rubber shows cracks after a few years- that does not mean the bushing is defective.
    If the rubbers is still solid around the middle tube that the bolt is in, surface cracking is not a problem.
  • byumgrbyumgr Member Posts: 14
    Alright, I have a 2005 Toyota Highlander Ltd. with automatic transmission with 35,000 miles. No where in the 'Passport' can I find where it is regular scheduled maintenance recommended for the transmission. Can someone please tell me when it is recommended and how often? Thank you. Mike.
  • mmccloskeymmccloskey Member Posts: 168
    Greetings:

I've got a 2007 HH Limited and was wondering how to remove the roof rack cross bars. I know they can be adjusted fore and aft but I can't figure out how to take them off. I will never use the roof rack and the cross bars make it more difficult to clean the roof.

If any of the Highlander owners out there have done this, I would certainly appreciate your guidance.

Regards - M. J. McCloskey
  • webgoodwebgood Member Posts: 95
    Check message number 578 in this forum or search "cross bars". Follow the excellent directions. I used a paint can opener with the little curved tip to get up underneath and pull it out.
    Regards, BGood
    Thanks to both Webgood and Steve for providing the msg link. I will give this a try today.

Best regards - M. J. McCloskey
  • dchouston1dchouston1 Member Posts: 9
    35K to 40K is ideal if you live in a hot climate. There is no filter so tehy do not have to drop the pan. They can flush out the old and put in all new fluid with about 16 to 18 quarts.
  • dchouston1dchouston1 Member Posts: 9
    I was told by a Toyota mechanic that the best solution to stop the braking vibration is to have the rotors "turned on the hubs" and also replace the brake pads. He said you can replace the rotors but the hub rotation will cause them wear uneven and the vibration will return.
    Anyone else heard of a "turning the rotors on the HUB?
    Some of us don't believe in flushing out the transmission fluid. But people define flush differently too.

I wouldn't do a power flush. If you are draining and filling so that you wind up replacing ("flushing") all the fluid, ok.

Read too many posts like this one I guess....

amigo_john, "Isuzu Trooper" #8070, 30 Jun 2003 7:46 am
  • rwong2rwong2 Member Posts: 2
    I had a problem with my 2002 Toyota Highlander driver's side visor not holding up, like some of you on the forum. Instead of spending $700+ at the dealer to fix this problem, I am very happy to tell everyone, that I have found a more economical way. I found OEM visors with the Home Link system at a place called Auto Intelligence for $50 + cost of shipping (Both driver's and passenger's side). You have to be a little handy, simple instructions comes with the visors. It took me an hour to put it in, tested the home link system, programmed the home link to my garage doors. I have new visors and saved $650. Check them out at www.autointelligence.com or call them. Phone number on the website.
    On the hub is undoubtedly the best way but in 50 years I have never experienced problems otherwise.
  • rwong2rwong2 Member Posts: 2
    read message #4082
  • lapvnlapvn Member Posts: 455
    My wife aren't sure, and we can't seem to put our finger on it. Our other car is a 2003 Odyssey, and we just purchased a 2007 HL V6 AWD. We both are having a hard time getting use to the HL's side view mirrors. We've changed it to our correct views, but when driving it feels like we are missing something. A certain view? Angle? We just don't know. Does anyone know if the side view mirrors are that much different that they show a different angle or what not?
  • chrisj2chrisj2 Member Posts: 1
    Tix - my sunroof also broke in open position at 42K miles and same story about the repair costs - $150 part; $800 labor to fix or $300 to close roof and never use it again. what happened to your roof? Toyota Customer Assistance (notice it's not called Service) is worthless!
  • tixtix Member Posts: 27
    I am so excited to hear someone else has this problem with the sunroof, but that doesn't make it any better news. I wrote to Toyota, I sent it to arbitration, filed complaints and the answer was - too bad, it is out of warranty. I am still so angry. I didn't want to give Toyota another dime of my money, so I do not take it to a Toyota dealer for service. I have told everyone I know what bad customer service I have received and promise never to buy another Toyota. However, that still leaves me with a non-working sunroof. The only solution I came up with is to seal it with duct tape and accept that I have a sunroof that I paid extra for, whistles and can never use again. I have been hoping that others will have this problem and that maybe Toyota will change their tune about fixing the faulty sunroof motor or what ever the problem really is. The only way I have been able to rationalize my decision is, I tend to keep my cars until the miles are pretty high, so I figured that by the time I need to trade it in or sell it, it won't be worth much anyway.
    If you come up with a better solution, please share it with me! And anyone else who has had this problem.....I believe there is strength in numbers!!! Good Luck!
    I always try to obtain a convex mirror for the driver's side and that helps. Often, actually almost always, I must resort to a UK dealer's online parts department.

In general the UK passenger side, OUR driver's side, have even better convex aspects they ours.
  • ocg35manocg35man Member Posts: 52
    I fully understand your frustration. From your post it sounds like you have partial opening on your sunroof right now? If you can have someone close it properly for $ 300 or
    so, I think it's worth it. Especially if you are planning to
    use your vehicle for next few years, with an opening like that it can damage your interior from moisture, rain, etc..

I know all about not so great experience with Toyota USA.
    My problem was fuel injection related and missed warranty
    by just few hundred miles. Of course, they didn't want to
    pay for it. I was very diligent and was able to recover half
    of repair cost from Toyota.

Many new vehicle nowdays, not just Toyota are so complicated with electronics,NAV, Rearview camera etc..As long as it's reasonable it might not be a bad idea to buy
    extended warranty.

good luck
    Thanks for the advice and concern. The sunroof is closed as much as possible without doing the full $1500 repair. There is only a small gap, so the duct tape does the trick. I am having fun changing the duct tape color as it wears out. I have a white car, so anything goes. I view it as "accessorizing " my car, and it also helps advertise the issue and provokes questions about "how do you like your Highlander?.' I am doing my part of representing Toyota as they wish to be viewed. -ha ha.
    But I am still open to any suggestions for a more efficient solution.
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    Have you tried getting a quote from a non-dealer?
    Yes. No one wants to touch the thing. Its difficult to get to the motor. But thank you for the suggestion.
    Greetings:

I have a 2007 HH Limited w/Nav. The compass is usually located in the rear view mirror except for those models w/nav. I have looked through the nav manual but see no reference to the compass. There must be one somewhere as it is required to guide you to your destination. The only visual reference to direction is the little 'N' icon which I assume is North. My car is parked in the driveway and pointing West so this 'N' (North?) may not be correct.

Any assistance from those with Nav would be greatly appreciated.

Regards -

M. J. McCloskey
    Wouldn't it be easier just to pick up the phone and ask the dealer? Most of us don't have NAV.
    I was under the impression that these forums were for those seeking (and sharing) info about their vehicles from other owners. Contacting the dealer is an option but not always the most effective.

My question was directed to those that have navigation and might be able to help, not those who don't and can't.

Regards -

M. J. McCloskey
  • nomorebenznomorebenz Member Posts: 109
    You have a couple of ways to do it. The N symbol is a North Up map orientation. Press it and it turns into a compass needle which is a Heading Up orientation.
    The second way is done by using the icon above the (+) (Zoom in). One of the modes is a pure compass/GPS mode.
    Greetings:

Thanks so much for your very helpful information. I will give this a try on my next outing. I don't use the Nav to map directions that often but consider the compass feature (now that I know how to access it) essential.

Best regards -

M. J. McCloskey
  • wdr1wdr1 Member Posts: 2
    Have a 2004 Highlander and need to reset the "oil replacement reminder" ie engine maintenance light. Directions would be appreciated. Tx

WDR1
    I would think it would be easier (& more reliable) to ask here. If nomorebenz hadn't answered, I would have.
    The dealer could have told him in 2 minutes. You can wait days for an answer here. Forums are NOT noted for their reliable information.
    Greetings:

I have an '07 HH and recently changed my oil and reset the service minder. Not sure if its the same for the '04 but here are the steps: 1. Turn ignition key to 'LOCK' position w/the odometer reading shown. 2. Turn the ignition key to 'ON' position while holding down the trip meter reset knob. A msg 'MAINT REQD RESET MODE' will appear on the display. 3. Hold down the knob at least 5 seconds. A msg 'COMPLETE' will appear and a beep will sound.

Hope the above is of assistance in resetting your service minder.

Regards - M. J. McCloskey

P.S. to NOMOREBENZ - Thanks again for your guidance in accessing the compass feature within the Nav system in my HH. It couldn't have been easier!
  • wdr1wdr1 Member Posts: 2
    M. J.
    Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. I'll give it a shot tonight! Appreciate your help.
    True, but then neither are dealers. :P
    You got that right! :)
  • teamtboteamtbo Member Posts: 78
    Toyotagal, et. al.,
    Just curious if your HL has the shifting problem described here? I am thinking about buying a 2007 HL v6 AWD and am very interested...especially since I am buying this to replace my 2007 Camry XLE v6 because it was experiencing the shift flare even after a new transmission. Thanks!
    Absolutely no "shifting problems" with my 4 month old 07 Highlander to date. Shifts beautifully every time.
  • ohmygoshohmygosh Member Posts: 66
    I really love this SUV after 45,000 miles I only had one problem. The sunroof malfunctioned and the motor had to be replaced after 2 years, but it was under warranty. Now my car is in the shop for another problem. The automatic door locks wouldn't work and the engine light came on. I immediately took it in to the dealer as the manual suggested and was told they were getting '7' code system failures, which they said was a first. Say What !! Before they got to the problem they told me my extended warranty may not cover the problem that could be related to a mouse chewing the wires. Say What !!
    After they evaluated it they told me the power window master switch had shorted out, causing other problems in the electrical system. Fortunately my extended warranty covered it and a rental car.
    I haven't got the car back yet and I am still concerned. Can anyone tell me if they experienced similar problems with this vehicle ? Can it be related to the same problem I had with the roof ? Will I have to worry that this electrical problem will keep occuring ? Help !!!!
    I have a 2004 Highlander and also had the sunroof malfunction, and although it was only a couple years old, I was out of warranty by 2,000 miles, so you are lucky that yours got fixed. They want to charge me $1,500. While still in warranty, my car had an issue with the anti lock brakes. For some reason it would not let me go over 12 mph. It was a difficult task getting it in to the dealer to be fixed (a lot of motorists were not very happy with my "slow pace"). I also had a heat shield fall off after having the car for just one month. So, I don't know what to tell you about your issues, other than to say I am not happy with Toyota and its unsatisfactory customer service. I will not buy another Toyota.
  • noel3noel3 Member Posts: 4
    2004 4 runner has same problem - toyota (local and national) "claims" that they have no service bulletins, notices, or anything on these - but i know they have had major problems. WHere can i get copies of their documentation of problems - i have 45K miles and want to prove the issue is chronic with their sunroof assembly
    thank - mnkraus@optonline.net
  • denniskirk1denniskirk1 Member Posts: 4
    The gear off the sunroof is plastic and the cables are plastic. When the two gears mesh the cable moves and the sunroof opens. If the cable binds or strips the gear on the motor also strips. To repair the sunroof it takes anywere from 6 to 8 hours of labor depending on what needs to be done plus a full interior clean afterwards and the parts 2 cables,1 motor,and tracks. Seems like the price is ok to me. I would also note that the fact thay offered a bill split means the service manager toyota to get that approved so the dealer is working for you. Anyway it still sucks being so close to warranty good luck getting toyota to pay. I personaly think thay should covor it.