Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• fortsoccerfortsoccer Member Posts: 1
    Thank you so much. After reading your suggestion we went to look and exactly behind the air filter was the disconnected hose. I simply reattached it, disconnected the ground on the battery, pushed the brakes for 15 seconds, reconnected the battery, started the car, and perfection!

I will need to remember this each time the air filter is changed as this hose will be disconnected.
  • garygary Member Posts: 39
    :confuse: I've seen several postings to solve this problem, but mine is somewhat different. I have a 2001 HL 'non-limited'. I have a steering wheel creak that is coming from just behind the steering wheel. Other postings have suggested lubricating the steering column at the firewall with silicone spray. But mine is in a different area.
    Can someone provide a link or previous message with a solution?
    The noise is louder when cold, then is less noticeable when warm.
    Thanks in advance!! :confuse:
  • bikeman3bikeman3 Member Posts: 85
    Ther was a service bulletin in June of 2004 Toyota fixed mine out of warranty but I had to pay for labor Check with your dealer see if there is anything you can do
    Gary I was in a hurry on previous post: My Highlander is a 2003 Non LTD I had complained about my squeak on 2 separate occasions bfore I took it to the Toyota dealer for the 3rd time. Labor was about $60 or so and Toyota supplied a new steering shaft. Talk to the service manager not the adviser But it definitely fixed the problem. Check recall notices around June of 04. I had well over 36k miles at time of service. Hope this helps. I love this forum ;)
  • webgoodwebgood Member Posts: 95
    Go to the top of this column where it says "Search This Discussion", type in 'steering', 2.6 seconds later you've got all 200 entries on it to sift through.
  • jprout65jprout65 Member Posts: 2
    My wife is leasing a 2008 Highlander and she just brought it in for the first oil change. She called my in amazement that it would cost $70! I called the service department and they told me it was because it needed "special Toyota oil" and they do a 21-point inspection plus a tire rotation. Does everyone need to bring it to the dealer every 5K miles or 6-months? I've never heard of "special oil" - Is this a joke?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    No, no joke.

Your dealer, more likely than otherwise, uses recycled/reclaimed/re-refined oil purchased in bulk.

But college tuition for his kids is extremely expensive these days.
    Get your oil changed where u want look for deals on tire rotation
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Oil change and tire rotation for each of my 3 Toyota vehicles is about $55 at the dealer.
  • jprout65jprout65 Member Posts: 2
    What about this "Special Toyota Oil", do they put that in your vehicle exclusively?
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    I think last time I had just an oil & filter change at the dealer it was just over $30.00. At least in my area they don't want to charge too much more than the independents. You can buy their 'special oil' at any auto supply store and change it yourself if you are so inclined.
  • toyotagaltoyotagal Member Posts: 215
    My first oil change at our local Toyota Dealer was $29.95 plus tax. And included "replacing engine oil, replacing filter, replace plug gasket, adjust air pressure and check other fluids". Which is called "Basic Service" and includes 17 visual inspections.

They also have what is called "Premium Service" which is $79.06 plus tax which includes "perform engine oil flush" and "install premium engine treatment".
  • williams10williams10 Member Posts: 6
    I have an 05 highlander, recently the drivers door and only the drivers door, will not lock or unlock with the remote. I believe it is an actuator and was wondering has anybody incurred the cost of replacing this part? And what kind of labor is involved...
    I own a 03 jeep liberty with the same problem and it cost $217-230 That should give u some idea. I also own a 03 Highlander and that is how I got your post Good luck
  • james82james82 Member Posts: 2
    My 82 year old mother took her 2005 highlander in for a 30k mile service. the total bill was $790.76! I think she got ripped off by Bev Smith Toyota in Ft Pierce Florida. In addition to normal service they flushed the brake,transmission and power steering fluids! They called her and said the fluids looked dirty and should be changed? Does this seem excessive?
  • webgoodwebgood Member Posts: 95
    I'll venture a few guesses here:
    #1. It's in Florida; take the price for the same service as here in the midwest and double it.
    #2. Your mom's a female and 82 YOA; they 'saw her coming' on both age and gender, and gave her the full monte.
    #3. She probably went into the service department, was asked what needed to be done, and trustingly told them something on the order of, "Just do what you normally do/should be done/what you think needs done."

The Toyota 'recommended' 30,000 mile service items "to be inspected and/or replaced" are all listed in the service book that came with the vehicle, and it's quite a list indeed. Early on, I had some service writers at my dealership try to pull the 'here's the list we need to do' approach when I brought my vehicles in for service, particularly at significant intervals (15K, 30K). They've learned that I specify exactly and only what I want done, i.e. LOF (lube,oil and filter), rotate tires, change engine coolant. Anything else beyond what they find in their '25-point inspection', they need my oral approval before doing.
    Dealerships make their money from the service departments and some of them really push the limits. It's up to the customer to keep a leash on them. Regards, BGood
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can go to the Edmunds Maintenance Guide and see what the 30k service costs in your area.

And you could then take that info to the dealer and request an adjustment, assuming they were high and did things that Toyota doesn't recommend.

I'm sure Florida has a consumer protection agency too....
    dealer will always try to provide necessary and near necessary mtce. I think it was excessive but she won't have to have it done again. Next time look on this site for guidance. I hate it when they tell me something looks dirty. I tell them to put in their notes that I don't fall for their crap so next time I'm in they know better.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Yes, Mom got ripped off. At 30K, that car needed virtually nothing more than an oil change, and honestly, the car will do fine NEVER having a power steering or brake fluid flush. So, yes, without a doubt, they saw her coming and ripped her off, and you should report them to everyone from the State Attorney General down to the Better Business Bureau.
    Edmunds' Dealer Ratings and Reviews would be another good place to warn the world about the shenanigans of this dealer.
    Actually the coolant has to be replaced at 30 k along with a few other things, yes they didn't do her any favors, reporting to the BBB won' help as she approved of the service. Know what you need in advance and only ask for that at time of serv ice
  • tsotsitsotsi Member Posts: 98
    My maintenance schedule doesn't show the need to change the coolant at 30k miles. In fact, I understand Toyota uses long-life coolant that lasts much longer than the old-fashioned stuff did. It is important to use the same long-life coolant when topping up if it is ever necessary.
    My maintenance schedule doesn't show the need to change the coolant at 30k miles. In fact, I understand Toyota uses long-life coolant that lasts much longer than the old-fashioned stuff did. It is important to use the same long-life coolant when topping up if it is ever necessary.

That was also my understanding.....
    My mistake I have an 03 which requires 30k on coolant, It must have changed in 04 or 05 I switched to gm coolant lastime which lasts much longer. I change evry 60 k
  • aakyeamaakyeam Member Posts: 3
    I'm almost at 144,000 km and its required to have my timing belt changed...the car is in mint condition and i just got it about a month ago...Do I have to change it at the required mileage or I can run it for a bit longer...whats the estimated cost for changing the timing belt and anything else that goes with it...I'm in toronto and would appreciate any feedback with regard to this...also looking at getting some fog lamps and the bug deflector for car...any advice or I should just get it from toyota or ebay?
    thanks everyone...I'm loving my highlander...
    Well, whatever the cost for changing the timing belt is; it's a fraction of what it will cost you for the valve rebuild you'll have to pay for if that belt breaks - so if it's due, I'd get it changed. You have no consequences if it doesn't break, but heaven help you if it does.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Hmmm, are you sure on that? I thought some Toyota engines were non-interference type engines, meaning if the timing belt breaks, there shouldn't be engine damage.
    Just got aprice for my 03 v6 timing belt and water pump which should be changed at same time timing belt, water pump fluid and drive belts 570.00 us plus tax I'm getting it done on Friday 4.25.08 I called 2 other dealers and one was 675 plus tax the other hasn't responded I have about 98000 miles on it and didn't want to push my luck
  • aakyeamaakyeam Member Posts: 3
    thanks guys for all the feedback.......I luv my HL too much not to take care of it..will get the belts and water pump taken care of when its due...
    Ok, I'm not sure. BUT, if I'm right, I'm right, and I'm not sure that I'm not right, so thought I'd better mention it. :confuse:
  • electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    I checked the 02 highlander V6 engine in the Gates Timing Belt Book and the engine is a 3.0L V6 (1MZ-FE) and it IS an interference engine. Recommended belt change interval is 90,000 miles. So don't let the belt break, or it can cost you big time.
    I changed the belts and water pump myself on my 04 Highlander V6, and it cost me about $150.00 for the parts, water pump, timing belt, alternator/AC belt, power steering pump belt & 1 gallon of Toyota red long life coolant. It was a fulls days work though.
    Good Luck,
    E.D. in Sunny Florida
  • mmm8mmm8 Member Posts: 1
    how do i remove the headlight lens cover----it is yellowing on the inside...
    Interesting - I thought they almost always yellowed on the outside. In either case, the Healing Hazy Headlamps guide may help you fix it. Assuming there's a way to get the cover off.
  • williams10williams10 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks
    I checked around for the actuator and the part is only carried at the dealer for $210 with 1 to 1.5 hours to install..otherwise about $450.
  • tivenstivens Member Posts: 5
    have had the same problem with my 2003 highlander,after fighting with the dealer and contacting toyota corporate,now they say it is the abs accuator,at a price of $2,100 dollars to fix.hope this helps tom
  • nowmannowman Member Posts: 1
    a friend has a highlander, she says it just stopped. she waited five mins. then she could start it but had no pedal it would just idol. the service man said the three fuel sensors had to be changed for 1500 total. what in the world is he talking about
    What Model Year? What engine? Find out the NAMES of the sensors and the DTC's that indicated their replacement.
  • jmthreejmthree Member Posts: 1
    How do you know when struts are bad. My local station says all 4 are bad, which I doubt, but what would be the key sign. I have a 2002 AWD Highlander w 75K of mileage
    Struts will usually leak or tires will wear unevenly, I have 98K on my 03 Hgh. and just had it in for state inspection at dealer and everything is ok. Some folks change their struts at 60K as preventive mtc but this usually depends on how long u plan on keeping vehicle Go somewhere else and make sure they are in need of replacement perhaps you can budget for them How much did they quote you?
  • turksteritisturksteritis Member Posts: 95
    Hey guys. I just bought a used 07 Highlander awd.Is there a website or somewhere i can run a vin # check to see what options i have. Thanx
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    I think you can see what options you have after you registered as new owner in toyoya.com > for owners
  • lmcqueenlmcqueen Member Posts: 1
    I had the exact same thing happen to me and Toyota told me they have to take off the entire ROOF of the car to fix the broken gears on the sunroof to the tune of $3,000 which is like 10% of the cost of the whole car! I wrote to Toyota today and don't expect any satisfaction whatsoever, but whatever Einstein designed this thing should be shot. I'm taking my car to my own body guy and I'll let you know what, if anything, he's able to do for me. I totally agree how bad Toyota's customer service is and to add insult to injury - they charged me $182 to tell me they would have to tear off the roof.
  • tixtix Member Posts: 27
    So there are others with sunroof problems!! Good luck and please do let me know if you get a satisfactory answer from Toyota or from your body guy. As I think I mentioned in my post, mine said, they won't touch the thing. SO, I am still driving around with mine duct taped shut. its hard knowing how nice it is to have a sunroof, but at least the horrible wind vibrations are hurting my ears anymore.
  • plbaxterplbaxter Member Posts: 1
    About a month ago I purchased a Highlander Sport, AWD, with the tow prep package. After about two weeks I began to notice a loud rattle in the rear. It typically happens after the vehicle has sat for awhile (such as overnight). After I back up and shift into drive; once I accelerate the rattle starts and last for 3-4 seconds. It will occasionally rattle again if I come to a stop and then accelerate again. But it only does it one or two times. It sounds like something could be loose, but I haven't been able to find anything.

Has anyone else had or heard of a similar problem?
  • tixtix Member Posts: 27
    Yes, I had my heat shield come loose, right after I bought my 2004 highlander. and it rattled like crazy. It is in the back,on the passenger side,.
    Good luck with your highlander. My has been nothing but headaches......although I do like it.
  • jilin74jilin74 Member Posts: 24
    I bought my 08 highlander last week. And starting yesterday, I start to feel that the ride is quite bumpy on local roads. Given that it is Boston and the road is not good, but I still feel that it is more bumpy than just a few days ago. I was wondering whether there is something that I did (not) do during break-in to make it that way?

Thanks,
    Check the air pressure in your tires, should be no more than 30 psi in each tire.
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    My HL and I celebrated our two-week anniversary yesterday and this vehicle is everything I thought it would be. One small hiccup though:

When vacuuming yesterday, I noticed that the cable to release the hood had become dislodged from the back of the flap you pull to release it as well as from the bracket that holds it in place and had fallen loose to the floor. It was a simple 10-minute fix that saved a trip to the dealer.

Wondering if anyone else has seen the same issue, or what other initial quality comments do you have?
    That's disappointing to hear. In fact, I'm monitoring the TH forums to see if I want to get one of these for my business, and I'm a big Toyota fan, but the comments are very disturbing.....

I have had a Mercury Mariner in service commercially for 2 years and 60,000 miles, and never had a problem with it. I may just get another one, they seem to be better built than these Highlanders from the comments I see here.
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    Sir...if I were you, I would go to the review section, and read all the reviews of the Highlander 08. They give praise, it is the most reviewed SUV on the market at 126 reviews. Out of those, you will find very few unhappy people.
    There are only a few post on this forum that have issues. Most everyone has had great satisfaction.... me included. I have had my Highlander since January. No problems, it is getting great milege etc. You will not find a better SUV in it's class for MPG I have owned all Toyotas, and never had a minutes problem with any of them.
    As far as a Ford product..no way it would be better built. Reliability is not nearly as much as Toyota. Go to Fords post and read those. As i said before IMO I wouldn't have a Ford if someone gave me one.