Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    2004 FWD 4-cylinder with about 98K on the odometer. Recently when I am driving with the heat on, I notice that the air blowing from the vents sometimes changes from hot to cool or lukewarm. The round heat-control know is in the red area, and I don't touch the knob. The knob itself feels normal when I turn it. I can get the heat back by turning it up all the way. The engine temprature gauge on the dashboard continues to read normal.

Has anyone else had this experience? I'm going to ask my mechanic about it next time I have the oil changed, but I'd like to have some idea what is going on before I talk to him. Thanks.
  • mrgrldmrgrld Member Posts: 6
    Hey there, This is a common problem for Highlanders. I fixed mine within 30 mins. All you have to do is remove the panel. Once it is removed, you will see that the wire from the board is off. You need to solder it back on. It is very tricky but not hard if you have patience since it is very tiny. Google some more and you will see some people actually took pictures while fixing it. Good luck.
  • car_dcar_d Member Posts: 2
    Take a look at this link. This guys has details including pictures on how to fix it. I followed these steps and fixed earlier this summer

http://www.devalcourt.com/2010/03/fixing-2004-toyota-highlander-ac-and-heat-issu- e/
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Your problem may not be as severe as needing wires soldered as mentioned in the previous posts. Try pulling off the temp. control knob, it pulls straight out. Check the nut that tightens down the bolt you should see, and if it's loose, simply tighten it down with your fingers. Replace the temp. control knob, wiggle it to make sure it's tight.

If that fixes the problem, I would redo the nut you tightened and use some lock tight so it doesn't loosen again.

MY 04 HL has the same issue and that's what I've been doing.
  • choochoomanchoochooman Member Posts: 38
    has anyone taken there highlander in for the recent recall? about how long dose it take, do they replace the brake fluid or try and sell u a flush, my 2004 just turned 48000 last night not seeing any leaks and fluid is still on full should i pay for a brake flush or let it keep on going? one more thing what about batteries, car is 7 yrs old its a panasonic and still startinl strong in these teen and 20 degree mornings shoukd i consider replacing it soon
    I don't have the smarts when it comes to these things any advise. great big thanks to all
  • takthekaktakthekak Member Posts: 6
    I took ours in for the recall, took a few hours, becuase it was te first one they did...Our battery is still the one from 05 when we bought the vehicle and we live were it gets -30...We will be replacing soon, just becuase it's time to and we don't want to push it...
  • bearloverbearlover Member Posts: 12
    Choochooman, I don't know the details on your battery, but in my years of experience any car battery over five years is prone to failing unexpectedly, frequently at a most inconvenient time.

My advice: Replace your battery now and forego the headache that a dead battery in mid winter will bring. It's hard to do since your current battery "seems to be fine but it will be a wise move.
  • retropiaretropia Member Posts: 41
    Last summer, the Panasonic battery in my 2001 Highlander was beginning to not hold a charge very long, after nine years, so I replaced it. I would have bought another Panasonic battery if I could have found one.
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I tightened the nut and drove about 8 miles running errands this afternoon. Only time will tell, but it seems like that took care of the problem. Odd thing is that the knob felt normal before, but it does feel tighter now.

BTW, for future reference (which I hopefully won't need) I printed a copy of the article with pictures on how to solder the wires back. That's an amazing piece of work!
  • luckysevenluckyseven Member Posts: 134
    If you have white Panasonic battery it might last you another couple of years. Any auto-parts store can get it tested and tell you if it's time to replace it.
  • ohmygoshohmygosh Member Posts: 66
    I have a 2010 Highlander Limited. When I come to a stop on an incline the traction/anti slip light comes on. I was told this is normal, but it happened to me while I was stopped in traffic on a normal grade. I usually shift the car in Neutral while waiting in traffic. All of a sudden the engine raced abnormally fast and I was affraid to shift into drive. I through it into park with my foot firmly on the brake and it went back to normal. Can anyone give me insight as to what may have caused this problem. Could this be related to the abnormal acceleration problem experienced by Toyota in the last year or so ?
  • takthekaktakthekak Member Posts: 6
    With it under warranty, I would take it in and let them run a diaganosis on it and check codes to make sure they are all uptodate...I have a 2005 and it has cut off totally while driving, they never found out why, thought it could have been tied to auto light usage...those weird anamolies could really be a number of things...stay safe
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..I usually shift..."

Then you're one in ~ten million.....

You may have just happened to shift into neutral at the very same time the A/C compressor clutch was energized. The engine/transaxle control ECU has learned, over time, just how much to additionally crack open the throttle to accomodate, compensate for, the additional load of the A/C compressor. You threw a monkey wrench into that calculation by "unloading" the engine from the driveline at the same time the compressor kicked in.
  • ohmygoshohmygosh Member Posts: 66
    Thanks for ur feedback. That may caused this problem. I am taking it to the dealer as a precaution and will ask about that possibility. That statistic about shifting into Neutral sounds unbelievable. I thought of it as an added safety measure in case someone walks in front of the car it gives you a little more time to react.
  • tjlampheretjlamphere Member Posts: 6
    We are taking our 2002 Highlander, V-6, with 102,000 miles on a 3500 mile trip in March. I have never had the timing belt replaced. I did have to have the engine replaced after 54,000 miles as it was leaking oil badly, but since that, a great vehicle. I just don't want to break down on Route 95. I understand if I have the timing belt replaced, it is a good idea to go ahead and spend the extra $$$ to have the water pump replaced also?

Any recommendations, pro or con, and what would be a rough estimate for that work to be done...something in the $ 400 - $ 600 range ?????

Last big trip we took, the front brakes went and I had to spend $ 600 at a shop out of town to have all new front brakes....on vacation, I don't want that headache again.

Thanks for any ideas anyone has....I am a car illiterate and will freely admit it.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    Did you get a new engine at 54K miles? If so, then that engine only has 48K miles on the timing belt....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bikeman3bikeman3 Member Posts: 85
    I paid about $630 for TB and WP replacement at a Toyota dealer in Pittsburgh@ 109K miles Both should be replaced. They sometimes have coupons and my dealer had a free loaner car. I now have 133K miles and the vehicle is whisper quiet. It is an 03

Hope this helps
    I just spoke to the dealership. The short block was replaced, but the heads were not changed. They received the parts order for that repair, and the timing belt WAS NOT replaced. To do it now, it would be $ 500 for the belt alone and another $ 300 for the water pump...not including tax. So would be about $ 865 for the whole thing. One responder got the whole thing done for much less, so I'll have to shop around.
    I can't say for the HL, but for my 99 Honda CRV, all the Honda shops have a "Timing belt special" where they replace the timing belt, water pump, all the accessory belts, and a free rental car for the day for a set price. The CRV cost me $600+.

I'd say call all the Toyota shops in your area and ask if they have a "Timing belt special" that includes the items I mentioned. The price for the water pump seems high, ask him if that includes labor and how much he's charging for that. It should be zero as they have to take the water pump off to do the timing belt anyway.
    I have an aftermarket shop that I trust that has done our belt+water pump for under $500.
    I called both Toyota dealers in town...one wanted & 1,100 and the other wanted $ 875...for the same work...ludicrous !!! I called the shop I normally have do my LOF and minor repairs. They will do the job, including new belts, water pump, the works, for $ 760. I was hoping to keep it under $ 600, but I need it done, so I am going to spend the $$$ to do it. Again, with the lower block only having 48,000 miles on it, new tires, front brakes have done less than
    15,000 miles ago, I will spend the $$$ and hope to get another 3 - 4 years out of my Highlander...by then, it will have around 135,000 miles on it, but some parts of the engine will have 83,000 miles. Does this sound like a reasonable game plan ????
    Well... if a timing belt is due, it's a necessary expense.. No point in not doing it... Especially if you plan on keeping the vehicle for three to four more years..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

You've done your research, and well done I'd say. $1100, LOL at that one, he's probably got a boat payment coming up. And you'll probably get more than 135K miles.
  • kosyjonkosyjon Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    anyone have any experience with toyota's reimbursement policy-2004HL had brake master cylinder work done done 11/09 at outside shop (out of Warranty)-- read about recall 11/10- called toyousa and sent in all required document- now they want to have it replaced with toyo parts before they will continue with "review " for reimbursement -- anyone had reimbursement in this situation or am I out of my fix expense before recall thanks
    I'm not sure that policy is legal. They can't void a warranty because you use non-Toyota parts as long as the replacement parts meet industry standards. Does anyone know how to find out what laws apply from an independent source? Toyousa isn't exactly non-partial.
  • boyettablateboyettablate Member Posts: 1
    Once in a while, my car have a hard start on cold weather, any suggestions?
    edited March 2011
    Turn over more slightly slower than normal and then start...

Mechanical tolerances are tighter, more FRICTION, the colder it gets. So battery state and charge level becomes more and more critical the colder it gets. Electronic systems, engine/transaxle ECU controls, do not work well, sometimes not at all, at the low battery starting voltages, maybe less than 8-9 volts, you often get in cold weather during cranking.

Oh, HOW cold, Cut Bank MT. COLD..?
  • mjhaifmjhaif Member Posts: 1
    Just had the timing belt (tensioner and water pump) changed (93,000 miles) on my 2001 Highlander (V-6). Now I have a fluid (oil I think) leak. I haven't taken it back to the repair shop yet. Any ideas/guesses as to what went wrong?
    Appreciation for all replies.
  • 05highlander0505highlander05 Member Posts: 89
    edited March 2011
    Since having my front and rear pads replaced last fall my front brakes continue to squeal when I initially drive my highlander for the first minute or 2. The dealer said it was due to the snow, ice and road sand this past winter. However, I continue to have the problem, where I want to duck down when pulling out of my companies parking lot.

The squeal does go away, after the first few stops (braking). It is also more evident if I had rained while the car had been parked.

Any advice on how to approach my dealer again.

The original pads were changed at 60k miles and the old brakes never squealed. ">link title
    I just spent $60 to fill up 2005 Highlander V6 with 60k miles on it. I put about 12k miles on it per year. Is it worth switching to a Prius? I live in WI
  • mrgrld1mrgrld1 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, they didn't do a good job of sanding down the old disc. It may be also they didn't put back the sqealer/noise clip back probably. I would always ask for a ceramic brake pads because they don't make noise and does not give out brake dust. In other words, insist on ceramic pads only! They might cost a bit more but worth it especially if you have an older disc. Good luck
    the dealer told me they installed ceramic pads though.
    12K mi./yr divided by 18 MPG X $3.59/gal. = $2393 = $199.41/mo.
    12K mi./yr divided by 40 MPG X 3.59/gal. = $1077 = $89.75/mo..

You'll save $110/mo. on gas at current prices....

Probably $15K to trade up? Can't pay for that on $1320 a year...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

So just stay with my gas guzzling Highlander?
    Well.. I wouldn't swap out just to save on gas...

If you are ready for a new car, then gas mileage might be high on your list..

It's almost always cheaper to keep what you have.... I don't know your situation, but some people like Highlanders for their utility and AWD.. You have to decide what's important to you...

Good luck!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Great info, thx
    Plus I only have 70k original miles in 6 yrs
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    You're not comparing apples with apples. Your math is correct on annual fuel cost, but you're discussing two completely different vehicles -- the SUV Highlander versus the Hybrid Prius.

Since the Prius isn't offered with a gasoline engine, you've got to compare similar vehicles that are offered in both versions.... which the HL is. Using BASE prices, consider the following:

2011 Highlander Gas Base model MSRP = $27,540
    2011 Highlander Hybrid model MSRP = $37,490

A $9950 price difference. We'll get back to this in a minute.

You also need to run your math on the HL's EPA ratings for fuel economy:

2011 Highlander Gas Base Model = 20/25
    2011 Highlander Hybrid Model = 28/28

Which becomes:

12K per year divided by 20 MPG x $3.59/gal = $179.50/mo
    12K per year divided by 28 MPG x $3.59/gal = $128.21/mo

A "savings" of only $51.29 per month, so you would need to keep the vehicle for 194 months (about 16 years) just to BREAK EVEN, let alone SAVE any money.

Tree-huggers who will claim that you can't put a "price" on the greener footprint you'll leave on the environment need not reply.

I burn gas and I'm damn proud of it.
    Great point. Love it!!
    Tree-huggers who will claim that you can't put a "price" on the greener footprint you'll leave on the environment need not reply.

LMAO, good one. This topic was beat to death the last time gas prices hit $4 a gallon, and it was proven many times over that it does not make financial sense to trade out a gas guzzling SUV for something like a Prius.

Now if you really WANT a new car, then it makes all the sense in the world and can easily be justified, :).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe someone can refresh my memory - the last go-round did the national average price of regular actually top $4? Probably did in Hawaii (it's already averaging $4.14 now), and maybe California.

Meanwhile, the price of oil has topped $105 a barrel. (CNN)
  • slade1slade1 Member Posts: 1
    My water pump went bad in my engine...............How do I know this? My antifreeze is on my driveway and a mechanic looked at. The car is just 3 years with 70k miles. The labor hours are 11 hours. The estimates I received are $3,200 to $1,147.04, Toyota came in at $1,350. I bought the car because Toyota had such a great reputation for the longevity of it's automobiles. I feel screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot afford this while still paying for the car and wonder what else is going to come down the road.

I've already spent close to a $1k on new tires since the tires went bad at 33k miles. The rear brakes squeak in the rain. At this point I have to get the car running. But the cost of this repair is unrealistic and how much more??
    Thanks for your honesty.
  • luckysevenluckyseven Member Posts: 134
    edited March 2011
    Water pump recently went on my 2009 Camry with only 30K and was replaced under the warranty. I read on another board about leaky HL pump, looks like this becoming a common issue.. If you handy enough it is possible to replace HL water pump from a right wheel well area with some arm twisting. I think new pump shouldn't be more then $100. If you PM me I'll send you a link or you can google it. I understand your frustration but you got 70K miles of old pump, would be better if it leaked before drive-train warranty expired.
    I need a wheel alignment ....is it better to do it after I install new tires or does it matter?
  • tsotsitsotsi Member Posts: 98
    I had a similar experience with the serpentine belt tensioner on my Highlander. At 60,000 miles the belt failed, leaving me stranded -- no power steering, generator or cooling. The black rubber marks on the tensioner pulley led me and the dealer to the conclusion that the tensioner had a bad bearing, causing the belt to fail.

Unfortunately, the cost for replacing the tensioner, water pump (might just as well while doing the tensioner) and belt was over $900. Looking at the bill, I guess they charged me for replacing the belt three times using the flat-rate book -- tensioner includes belt replacement, water pump replacement includes belt replacement and then, of course actually replacing the belt.

I find my local dealer totally untrustworthy. The salesmen who claim to be maintenance advisers have been telling me for over 25,000 miles that my brakes are totally worn out (I looked at them myself and they are not). I tightened the nut on the temperature control myself rather than waiting for the wires to break so the dealer could charge over $700 for a whole new unit. I would think that after years of that nut coming loose on thousands of Highlanders, the so-called maintenance advisors would have made checking it part of the service.

So I would have to score Toyota about average for reliability and blame the dealer for making it seem worse than it actually is. If I had relied on the dealer for all of my maintenance I would be out over $1000 more. He got me on the tensioner because the car wouldn't move and I needed it right away, but I have learned something from his actions when I needed him. I feel sorry for Toyota buyers who don't know much about cars and rely on the dealers. I remember seeing some women (I am not being sexist, I just didn't see any men) crying on the way to the cashier -- they came in for an oil change and went away over $1,000 poorer. They believed the service advisor.
    Immediately after you install the new tires...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mrs1964mrs1964 Member Posts: 8
    I would be interested in learning what you find to be the cause of the leak. Did the mechanic cause the problem when the timing belt/water pump was changed?
    edited March 2011
    So I would have to score Toyota about average for reliability and blame the dealer for making it seem worse than it actually is. If I had relied on the dealer for all of my maintenance I would be out over $1000 more.

Toyota service advisors in general from my experience are some of the worst rip-offs I've seen. True story here, my wife's best friend took her 4-Runner in for an oil & filter change and rotate tires, vehicle was about 3 yrs old and about 38K miles, so it was just off warranty. The service advisor advises to have the tranny fluid changed, says it looks brown.

Well I just happened to have my wife's Highlander in for an oil change as well, so she asked me about it. I told the advisor to bring the vehicle out with the techie who he said recommended it and I want to check the tranny fluid myself. Umm, he's working on another vehicle at the moment. OK I'll wait. Umm, he went to lunch. OK I'll wait. Umm, he left for the day with a personal issue.

We told him to just do the oil & filter and tire rotation. We got home and I checked the tranny fluid and showed her it was still bright pink. My friend was literally stunned that these people do that. I told her this is a very common trick, especially with a female and it can get as bad as when you challenge them and they bring the vehicle out to check the tranny fluid, I've heard of them even pulling the engine oil dipstick out to show that it is brown.

This is why I do not let any dealer touch my vehicles except for a warranty claim. Any maintenance I can't or don't want to do, I have a local independent shop that I trust do the work.
  • toledo73toledo73 Member Posts: 174
    My 2010 HL has been serviced by the dealer since I bought it. First 2 were free, and the 15K was 59 bucks. My service station couldn't beat that price. Been very satisfied. The owners manual indicates that a tranny fluid inspection is required at 30K miles. I was not aware that the fluid she go brown before you replace. I do not allow the engine oil to go black before it is replaced. I do it every 5K as recommended by owner's manual. The tranny fluid service is under 100 bucks. I'll spend the 100 rather than the 2-3K to replace tranny, regardless of color.
  • shagnatshagnat Member Posts: 78
    I let my dealer do all my work. Thank goodness I own a Toyota and have had NO repairs necessary to my '03 Highlander Limited.
    He does a good job, keeps all the records for me (I'm terrible at keeping records) and can tell at a glance the last time my cabin air filter was changed, the engine air filter was changed, IF I need to have my coolant replaced, in addition to the tranny fluid issue.