Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• krb1krb1 Member Posts: 15
    I have 2008 Toyota Highlander Ltd. The roof failed after about 2 years of ownership. I have hardly ever used the roof - up to that point maybe less than 10 times. I purchased the car used and so maybe the previous owner used the sunroof more often, but I could not believe that it failed so quickly. I had a similar problem. The roof did not want to close. When I pressed slide to close it popped up and vice versa. I took it to the dealership and they confirmed that the cable is no good and needs replacement. The price they quoted was $700. I refuse to spend so much money on the roof, especially since it must have defective since the beginning. I begged them if there was anything they could do for me. Eventually, they fixed it free of charge, but I have not used the roof since fearing that I will run into problems again. Also, ever since the repair I have noticed raindrops alongside the rubber seal every time it rains.

I guess your quote is right on. Good luck.
  • lavalamp1lavalamp1 Member Posts: 2
    I have owned 5 toyotas and currently have 3. All with moon roofs and never had a problem. The Highlander "Limited" is supposed to be the grand daddy of them. Guess not. I didn't drive it much in the winter (other cars) and the brakes rusted (that was truly my fault.) With a all wheel drive, you really have to drive it regularly. I've asked a question on justask.com site and we'll see. They gave somebody directions on how to pull the headliner down and replace the cable/track for $100 in parts. That I can do.

Thanks again.
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    I have a 2002 hl and both rear windows will not go down. When I push the button on the driver's door, or on the rear door (either one) I hear a click, but nothing. It sounds just like when a window is up all the way and you click it to go up. It is the main control, or is the window stuck, as there are message boards which discuss that the window channel on these cars are also a problem. thanks, rr70
  • scott228scott228 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    I own a 2003 Highlander Limited AWD with approximately 93,000 miles. Last September I started getting a chattering sound which appeared to come from the middle or rear portion of the car when accelerating from a stop. It was almost as if the ABS was engaging when pulling away from a dead stop. It didn't happen all the time and only lasted a few seconds. I took it into the Toyota dealer and was told it was the ABS sensors which had rusted and had to be replaced. Fast forward to last week when the chattering reappeared. I took it back into the dealer and they replaced the ABS sensors but the sound continued. Now they are saying it is the anti-skid computer which I assume is the ECU that is faulty and must be totally replaced at a cost of over $2000. When asked if this is common, the Toyota shop said no and had replaced very few if any. Should I get a second opinion? Is there anyway to test this part to determine if it is indeed faulty? Could it be anything else? Anyone know if this is a part subject to any recalls? Appreciate any advice you can provide.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..is there anyway to test..?"

Yes.

Disable the VSC/trac system by disconnecting the MAF/IAT module while the engine is idling. The engine will probably die, reconnect the module, restart the engine and now you will have a CEL & VSC/Trac diagnostic indication for a few drive cycles.

If the sound continues during that period it is NOT the VSC/Trac ECU.

VSC/Trac = anti-skid.
  • dansa2dansa2 Member Posts: 28
    2011 Highlander receiver/trailer hitch new from Toyota $450 uninstalled. Hitch hidden behind bumper. Saw after market and what appears to be OEM hitchs online, $250. Has anyone purchased after market hitch and where?
    Does the 2011 HL 6 cyl have a transmission dipstick and tranny drain plug? I was told that the 2011 camry 4 cy has no dipstick and the salesmen said there was no drain plug.

thanks, rr70
  • scott228scott228 Member Posts: 2
    wwest,

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try and see what happens. One thing I forgot to mention and was wondering if it would make a difference. None of the dash warning lights for the ABS appear to come on when this occurs.
  • soco4soco4 Member Posts: 9
    We have a 2002 V-6 AWD Highlander with 67,000 miles. Problem: from closed throttle (especially, it seems, when stopped), the throttle does not open smoothly and in a linear manner. Instead, more and more pressure on the acc. pedal needs to be applied in an effort to get going, then it feels that something gives way and the car lurches forward. It's difficult to get precise bits of acceleration, as when pulling into the garage. I suspect that the throttle plate has worn a groove into its housing. Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Thanks for your help.
  • luckysevenluckyseven Member Posts: 134
    Most likely you need to clean throttle body from dirt build up. You can do it yourself.

How to
  • hondaowner56hondaowner56 Member Posts: 8
    Will there be a difference if I have the dealer-installed cross-bars removed from my brand new 2011 Toyota Highlander 4WD Limited? I thought I hear a distinctive gush of wind at highway speeds since I took delivery of the vehicle. So I thought maybe the removal of the cross-bars will make the wind noise disappear.
    Turns out that the cross-bars cannot be removed easily. Better if the dealer removes it.

I don't intend them use them and if I do, I'd like to use the Thule brand instead.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.
  • hondaowner56hondaowner56 Member Posts: 8
    Vehicle info: 2011 Toyota Highlander 4WD with Navigation. Nav DVD disc version 10.1

Have you ever used the Navigation bypass to allow for DEST input by passenger while the vehicle is moving?
  • phrosutphrosut Member Posts: 122
    Those crossbars adjust easily. I moved both of mine as far back as they would go and the wind noise disappeared.

Phil
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    That's what the dealer in Massachusetts where I bought my '04 had done. All of the Highlanders on the lot had the crossbars together at the rear of the vehicle. They said it was to minimize wind noise.
    Something I should have mentioned in my previous post about these bars:

The bolts that hold them in place can be removed easily and quickly. I learned this from other HL owners that have had theirs stolen, and when I moved my bars back I replaced those stock bolts (that are made to turn by hand) with regular bolts that'd take a wrench. I still have the stock ones should I ever need them.

Phil
  • btacbtac Member Posts: 4
    08 Highlander Ltd (gas, 62K): Discovered water on floor after IRENE blew through PA in late August. Took it to the dealer and they blew out the AC drain line as possible solution.

Drove 2 hours through driving rain a couple of days ago and just discovered carpet in front is saturated on both sides again.

Anyone have experience with this before I send it to Toyota to tear my car a part looking for the source??

Thanks in advance.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Usual reason for this is water overflowing from the air intake area. The inlet grill between the windscreen and bonnet can accumulate dirt and fine leaves which clog the drains in this area. Water that should normally drain through these outlets then enters the care through the passages intended for air flow.

If you can get under the car, there should be a small rubber hose on each side, draining down from the chamber. If you have a compressed air hose, you can jet this backward and clear the lines. Alliteratively you can make up a small hose (I made one from 4mm irrigation hose connected to a hose fitting) and feed this up with a water jet to flush out the line.

As routine maintenance, make sure the grill between the bonnet and windscreen is kept clear of leaf litter, especially if you regularly park under trees.

Cheers

Graham
  • 05highlander0505highlander05 Member Posts: 89
    I bought my Highlander brand new in 2005. It now has 75k miles.The original battery is still in it made by Panasonic. Should I replace it or just keep on using it. I had some battery tests done and they all show that it is still fine. I don't think I can find this same battery, but if i can I will stick with this same one. Any other battery recommendations?
    OEM white Panasonic batteries really good but really hard to come by unless you get one in a new car,. Battery that you have close to the end of it's life but still might last for another year or two. I'd keep an eye on it and if any low battery symptoms develop replace it immediately. You can also get it tested every few months at any auto parts store. If you you want to play safe then get it replaced before winter season. There is a lot of replacement battery choices, it's an endless topic on it's own . I like Costco batteries, they are not very expensive and perform well.
  • retropiaretropia Member Posts: 41
    I was able to get nine years from my OEM Panasonic battery in my 2001 Highlander. When it began to fail, it was during the summer and thus was more convenient than during the winter. No luck locating a replacement Panasonic battery, although I would have paid more for one. Consumer Reports highly rated WalMart batteries, so that is what I purchased and installed.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I've heard that Johnson Controls makes all the batteries for Walmart. And there's really on two major manufacturers in the US anyway (the other brand name escapes me - Optima?).
    You are referring to the Kirkland Signature brand?
    My Toyota dealer said for $100 they would replace and install a
    new TRUStart battery. How are these batteries?
    I need to replace my tires before winter. I live in Milwaukee so I need all season. It's between the general grabbers or the Michelin ms/2 which are pricey , but great. Any suggestions?
    The silver plastic piece around the instrument panel by the speedometer tends to rattle while driving. I press on it and it goes away. Any way to try and fix this?
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

You may find the easiest way is to get a small dab of blutac and push it between the rattling parts. It only need so be a tiny bit.

Cheers

Graham
    Problem is it's hard for me to exactly know where it's making the rattling noise in the dash.
    Yes, I was referring to Kirkland Signature brand. You can buy more expensive battery if you want but you'll see no difference.
  • doug128doug128 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Toyota Highlander with 93,000 miles. It has been a nice car to drive but very expensive to maintain and repair. I have replaced 7 wheel bearings and the drive shaft to the rear end because of bearings. I owned a Ford previously with 189,000 miles and never had to replace a bearing. Whats up with Toyota?
  • mrs1964mrs1964 Member Posts: 8
    Replaced my 2001 Highlander OEM battery in 2009 with an Everstart South from Walmart. Got a great deal and have had no issues since.
  • tsotsitsotsi Member Posts: 98
    My 05 Highlander had a bad bearing on the serpentine belt tensioner, causing the belt to fail at only 65,000 miles. Getting a new tensioner, water pump (it was leaking a little) and belt cost more than $800. I imagine the bearings come from the lowest bidder, saving Toyota a little money and costing the owner a lot.

On the other hand, I was sure I had a front wheel bearing going out because of a loud howling noise coming from the front end. Fortunately, I took the car to a private mechanic who took the time to put the Highlander on a lift and spin the front wheels a various speeds -- a method he said would determine whether it was a bearing or not. Turned out the bearings were fine, but Yokohama tires with quite a lot of tread left had become incredibly loud. It seems that Highlanders don't do a very good job of isolating drivers from tire noise. I wonder if all 7 of the wheel bearings that were replaced on your car were really bad.
  • jacksbchbarjacksbchbar Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the info, worked for me... I cut the wire off the old sensor and used an airhammer to knock the terminal connector off pretty easily. I was then able to slip a 22mm deep socket onto the sensor with a breaker bar removal was simple. I was having problems getting any movement with the combination wrench.
  • great_santinigreat_santini Member Posts: 1
    Go with the Grabbers. I just put on my wife's MDX and they seem very nice. Michelins are expensive and can blow easy if you rub a curb.
  • eenglish99eenglish99 Member Posts: 28
    I have a 02 Highlander 6 AWD with 89,000 miles. I have babied it and used synthetic oil since breakin. I had not noticed any unusual oil consumption until recently and noticed that the dealer had switched to 0W20 Toyota synthetic oil. I have been using 1 qt / 1,000 miles which, although it is listed as "normal" in the manual I had never experienced before. I just switched to 5W30 (the weight from the manual) Mobil 1 High Mileage and also changed the PCV valve (as some had mentioned this might be related to unusual oil consumption). The PCV valve seemed to move freely . Since the change I have used about 1 quart for 1,800 miles which is a lot better. I have not noticed any blue smoke puffs at startup like I had before. I don't know why the dealer switched to 0W20, which may be the weight for new vehicles but not for mine.
    So since my oil consumption is a lot better I'm sticking with the 5W30 Mobil 1 High Mileage. I'm not sure which was the major contributor, switch from 0W20 to 5W30, switch to Mobil 1 High Mileage or the PCV valve.
    I also have an 02 hl. where is the pcv valve and can you buy it at a local parts store.

by the way, i have 113000 and no repairs, other than the rear windows don't work. no unusual oil usage. changed oil and fillter every 3k miles or 3 month since new. thanks.rr70
  • bikeman3bikeman3 Member Posts: 85
    Just got the Grabbers for 125 each installed in Pittsburgh. I hav ethem on a Jeep and my son has em on his Ford Escape in Cleveland. I love them
  • jrfierojrfiero Member Posts: 123
    Please see posts 4858, 4874, and 4964 in this forum.
    To add to 4964, I have taken numerous 1000+ mile round trips since replacing the PCV valve and have experienced no oil consumption between oil changes.
  • eenglish99eenglish99 Member Posts: 28
    To: roadrunner70
    The PCV valve is in the back on the top on the left as you look from front to back. I had the dealer do it and it was not too expensive. Not sure if you can get it at a parts store.
  • splendor2splendor2 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry this is not the place for this note..but this is my first post and I was wondering how to private message. I actually had a question for Phil regarding the extended warranty. My question is how do I verify the Toyota Care warranty is legit over the phone. I am planning to buy an Avalon soon. So was wondering about this.

thanks.

WI
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    We don't have a private message feature... You can just ask right here in the forums (just like you did). All of the members can benefit from the conversation.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks, when my son brings it home from school, I will replace. no oil usage issue (oil and filter changed every 3k or 3 months) since new. but a new pcv valve makes sense. rr70
  • grw55grw55 Member Posts: 2
    To xraykid:
    Did you solve the leak problem? Was the leak from the rear tail light assembly?

How did you stop the rear tail light from leaking...........did you use silicone around the tail light?

Did the tail light need some sort of gasket?

I have a tail light that clouds up with condensation inside the see through plastic. I also see water drops inside when I remove the bulb access cover in the rear compartment.
  • grw55grw55 Member Posts: 2
    To all members:
    My 2006 Toyota highlander leaks water. I get pools of water in the back seat floor boards.

I suspect the water may be entering thru the rear tail light assembly because condensation forms inside the tail lights.

HOW DO I STOP THE WATER FROM ENTERING THE TAIL LIGHT ASSEMBLY?

Does it need some type of gasket?

Should I seal around the edges of the tail light casing on the outside of the car with silicone?

Any advice would be helpfull.
    From grw
  • j06j06 Member Posts: 90
    edited October 2011
    How long the Toyota break pads last ?? Mine 2006 HL front pads changed at 25K, 50K ... now @ 57,500
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    The pads on my 04 HL lasted until 67K before replacing for the first time.
  • j06j06 Member Posts: 90
    you changed the back ones ??

I do not know if the dealers are recommending changes to keep up with daily sales goals. One time at 37K they recommended to change the battery. I said; do not have money this time. I will change it for the next service. And they never mentioned it after that. Now at 57,500 :)
  • bluenose2bluenose2 Member Posts: 12
    I also have a 2006 HL. In my opinion, brakes are the real weak point on this vehicle. I had to replace my rear pads and rotors at 70k Kilometers, or about 43K miles. My front ones had to be done at 90k kilometers, or 56000 miles. I am very easy on brakes and have never had to replace pads that soon on any other vehicle. If I leave the vehicle outside for a few days in damp weather, the brakes lock up with rust and let go with a real loud snap when you apply enough pressure to the accelerator.
    I've not had this problem with my 2001, but if I did, the first thing I would do is disassemble the taillight lense and check the factory gasket for any breaks or misalignment. If so, I'd buy a replacement gasket from the dealer, install it and see if that resolved the problem.

Before taking the lense off, I'd also make sure the mounting nuts are tight. If loose, allowing a gap between the lense and taillight housing, that would also allow water to enter.
    I replaced all of my brake pads at the same time on my 2001, at 80,000 miles. Even then, the wear indicators weren't making any noise. However, one of the pads had started to crumble, so since I was going to replace that one I decided to do all of them at the same time.

Perhaps the later model Highlanders wear through pads faster?
    Sorry to take so long to reply splendor2, I just got back from a trip without internet.

I was gonna get mine online from that midwest Toyota dealer and read many reviews. But then (as I probably said) my local dealer matched their price and for another couple of hundred, gave me all my money back (including that couple of hundred) when I hadn't used the warranty by the time it expired.

The main "catch" was the short time limit to apply for the refund, and you also had to prove you still owned the car.

A worry that wasn't warranted: what if I needed a $900 warranty repair 6 months before I would get all my warranty money back? Pay it and gamble there'd be no more problems or let warranty pay and lose the 2 grand refund?

Phil