Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

muskiedudemuskiedude Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Mitsubishi
I'm looking for some help or advice.

I just bought a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS about a month ago. The car runs fine, but several annoying noises have evolved after owning the car for a month. None of these noises were heard when I test drove the car or a week after I bought it.

The noises include:
1. A wind noise coming from the driver's side window when reaching 60 mph or above.
2. The black plastic dashboard makes a cracking noise when I go over any size bump. I have also noticed that this problem only happens when it is warm outside and am not sure if its the plastic expanding to the weather or if its a problem with the car.
3. You can hear the gasoline in the gas tank move around when you take sharp turns or when making sudden stops.

Has anyone had these kinds of problems with this car?
If so, were they able to fix them and how?
Do these problems seem out of ordinary to anyone?

The car's "wind noise" problem was worked on by the dealer, but hasn't been fixed. The other two problems have evolved just recently.

Comments

• Options
    fawkesgfawkesg Member Posts: 9
    The name "Mitsubishi" is apparently Japanese for "Piece of crap."
  • Options
    seksaymelseksaymel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 GT and I haven't had any problems. I've heard the RS and GS has lower-grade dash materials, but I don't know, I have never been in one. But I've read about various noises coming from the car while driving 60 mph +. Mine has been very quiet though.
  • Options
    pavuluripavuluri Member Posts: 1
    Mitsubishi I believe has lots of problems. I bought a eclipse GS in January this. The driver's side seat belt came off completely when I was taking the delivery of the car. Till Date I have not received a single notification from Mitsubishi about any recalls or anything like that. I had to call Mitsubishi to find out if my vehicle and sorryily they state that it may be.
    Later on the wipers came off (not turning) in a snowy condition. just imagine the sorry state I was in. It was such a pain. Now even my dashboard sounds like the same. Also, the plastic holder that holds the switch for the moon roof is loose and is about to come off. The drive is good but quality, it is bad
  • Options
    mitsugstmitsugst Member Posts: 41
    I just uncovered something...
    Mitsubishi was a misspelling by the Japanese, it should have been Myitsapieceashit (My o my, it's a piece of [non-permissible content removed]). Evolution of the name:
    My o my, it's a piece of [non-permissible content removed]
    My its a piece a [non-permissible content removed]
    Myitsapieceashit
    Mytsupiesashit
    Mitsubisashit
    Mitsubisshi
    Mitsubishi

In my book, Mitsubishi, compared to the other Japanese Manufacturers is the worst, and is a piece of [non-permissible content removed]. Compared to the world, it just average, the English and American cars still make Mitsubishi look good.
  • Options
    james_fox0james_fox0 Member Posts: 2
    The rattle in the dash may be the glove box lock. Evidently my dealership gets alot of these... only seems to happen when hot...
    sounds like a speaker that has blown or something
  • Options
    james_fox0james_fox0 Member Posts: 2
    My mitsubishi is good old american made crap. The eclipse is %100 american union made crap. In fact, the only american cars that are made nowadays that are not crap are made somewhere other than USA... like canada or mexico.
    If I had known it was made in the USA, I would not have bought it.
This discussion has been closed.