Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series: FAQ

1234568»

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    A problem like this is ver difficult to diagnose long distance. It sounds like part of the fan or fan shroud assembly was installed improperly or left off altogether. I'm guessing that the shop that performed the repair doesn't specialize in BMWs?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Oh geez, I wonder if they forgot to put the air filter back in or the air intake hose.
  • bmw_123bmw_123 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks you guys! Looks like I will have hard time explaining this issue to the shop mechanic. It was not actually BMW repair shop, but this shop claims to be specialized in Germen cars.

Thanks!

Sam.
    You know what I always say...just because they work on Mercedes doesn't mean they know beans about a BMW, or an Audi or a Porsche, or vice-versa. In fact, I think the best independent shops are not "Pan-German".
  • broiler1broiler1 Member Posts: 6
    This might seem like a silly question but what is the little square box for on the right side of the back bumper? It looks like it is supposed to open but does not. Looks like a smaller version of the gas door.

I have an '07 335 but see these on all BMW's.
    what is the little square box for on the right side of the back bumper?

That's the cover for the screw-in tow fitting receptacle. It's are a requirement in Germany, if not the entire EU. You'll find the fitting in your onboard tool kit, as well as on page 231 of your Owners Manual.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• keithrezkeithrez Member Posts: 12
    I just bt a 328xi w the BMW assist and am wondering if I also need AAA. Tnx Keith
    I think AAA "Plus" Program with the 100 mile tow is a great bargain and worth the 75 bucks. I don't think BMW Assist will drag you that far. I have it so that I can be taken to my favorite dealer, not just the 35 mile limit or whatever it is before the charges start.
  • absoluticabsolutic Member Posts: 29
    It depends on how lucky you are. I believe Both AAA and BMW subcontract their services to local mechanic shops, like all other road-side assistance services. A lot of these guys at either service get paid by the local body/mechanic shops to get cars in for possible repairs. So often they'd try to trick you into towing your car to their own shop or the shop where they get paid for bringing business. You have to be firm with these guys to get your car to your residence instead, or mechanic of your choosing.
    That's why I like the Plus plan--you're paying in advance for the 100 miles so there should be no argument about it.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,740
    Also... AAA will respond to whatever car you happen to be in... whether driver or passenger..

Your BMW Assist is only good when you are in your BMW (at least for the roadside assistance part of it).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bmw_123bmw_123 Member Posts: 15
    Hello,

I just recently switched from 2001 325i (95k miles) to 2004 330i (60k miles), the latter one seems to be sluggish when the car's speed is increased. 330i is reaching high speeds (as expected) but somehow the transmission seems to be sluggish. I have driven 2001 330ci, 2002 330cic, along with 325i, all of them seem to be more fun to drive and have really responsive pickup and accelerate really well. I was expecting since mine is 2004 model it would be better but it is not, wonder if it needs any kind of software upgrade for the transmission/engine. Also, I am getting not so great gas mileage, it being just about 15.5. The cars build quality is very sturdy and drive creates confidence, but the car's pickup is not very impressive.

Any suggestions are highly welcome.

Thanks,

Sam.
  • dhumptydhumpty Member Posts: 6
    I previously drove Nissan (Maxima), then Toyota (Camry) now driving a Volvo (S-80).

At this point (finally!) I'm ready to switch to BMW.

I'm thinking as a newbie, it'd be cool to start with a CPO
    (lowest price of the 3-series, sedan).

Will I miss out on some spectacular new additions to the brand new model by opting for a CPO?

Also, for CPO's, I'm wondering if the newer models (2006, 2007) are necessarily better, or much better, than the older (2004,2005).

I don't need everything fancy.
    I want the nice driving experience, nice audio.

If you were buying a CPO which year within the last four would you prefer?
    Anybody have a favorite year? Is there one year that stands out from the rest?
    If you were buying a CPO which year within the last four would you prefer?
    Anybody have a favorite year? Is there one year that stands out from the rest?

I'd get a 2004 or 2005 with the Performance Package(AKA ZHP). In my opinion the older(E46) cars provide a more focused and involving driving experience than the 2006 and up(E90/92) models. I've spent a lot of seat time in the 335i variants and I still prefer the older cars. But that's just me. You need to drive them both and then pick the one YOU like.

Thanks roadburner,

My son says I don't have to spring for a brand new BMW to love the experience.

*s*

Also, I've been doing some reading on these forums and I see that folks have complaints/concerns about the complexities of the latest technologies and the run-flat tires and all.

I'm making note of the "Performance Package" to look into that.

Thanks for the tip.
    I'm learning...
    and you're not the only one who likes the E46 models.

The E46 automobile platform is the fourth generation of BMW's highly successful 3 Series entry-level luxury car / compact executive car. The sedan was introduced in 1998 and replaced the E36 sedans the same year. ..In 2000, the E46 lineup received an engine boost...

The first major overhaul occurred when the E46 sedan underwent a facelift in 2002, which included re-designed headlights, new bumpers and a stiffer chassis. Also, the 316i and 318i models received new, more powerful engines..

In mid-2005 the E46 sedans were phased out with the introduction of the new E90 sedans. The E46 touring was also replaced later that year with E91. The E46 remained in production as coupé, convertible and M3 until the E92 coupé and E93 convertible was revealed in late 2006.

The E46 experienced enormous success in all markets and was widely considered the performance benchmark of its class.

As a credit to the E46 platform, it was chosen for Car and Driver Magazine's "10 Best Cars" every year of its production.
    I'm making note of the "Performance Package" to look into that.

Here's a Car and Driver road test of a 2004 ZHP sedan. In 2005 BMW NA also offered the package on the coupe and convertible.

That's interesting...

Thanks

. :)
This discussion has been closed.