Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series: FAQ

Comments

• likalarlikalar Member Posts: 108
    <<Can someone tell me the major differences between the 3 and the 5?
    They appear to be the same, except maybe for the overall size>>
    (IMO) The 5 is heavier, somewhat bigger and somewhat plusher. If you'll be driving long distances with 3 others along, consider a 5. If you and a passenger often head out for the weekend on a winding road and you like a lighter, sportier handling car, consider the 3 series (ahhh, maybe the coupe?). Sounds like you owe yourself a test drive in both.
    P.S. Both are very well built, safe, and very, very capable (more so than most of the drivers that own them). I had (2) 5 series cars a few years back, and more recently (2) 3 series cars. I try other makes (goodbye, Saab), but keep coming back to BMW. Good luck in your search.
    Larry
  • xiajia888xiajia888 Member Posts: 2
    I am in the process of purchasing a new BMW 325i. My dealer want to persuade me into the one with more options. The one I want to purchase is built in South Africa and my dealer said this fact usually will scare people away.

Can anybody here share the experience about the 325i built in South Africa? I really do not have the idea of its difference with German built BMW. From percentage point of view, how many 325 are built in SA?

Thanks
  • mikeg444mikeg444 Member Posts: 17
    I am in the market for a E30 (1989-1991) series BMW 325i/is and wanted some opinions from those who have owned such a car. I have been devoted to Honda and Toyota for 20 years but I really want a small fun car to drive back and forth to work (about 40 miles/day). Is the 325i really worth the extra $ in maintenance? And will it leave me stranded on the side of the highway one day? I am hoping to find one with less than 100k miles. Thoughts please???
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    "Is it worth the extra maintenance?" You know the cost of maint with Honda/Toy's but it sounds like you've got an itch for something different. BMW will probably be more money, but it'd sure be fun! Will it leave you stranded? Hard to say, with proper maint & a careful mechanic, I don't think so. I am getting one soon & I hope not.
  • ttennttenn Member Posts: 11
    iam0378: I am having this problem with my Mitsu. I relpaced the 16inch rims with 18 inch wheels and 40 series rubber. It always pulls to the right. I have had it aligned by four shops, and the tires replaced to make sure it wasn't bad rubber. Putting the stock 16's back on resolved the pull. I don't know if it is the wheel not perfectly round/centered, lower profile tires allowing less flex of the sidewall making the 18s more likely to pull. I have heard this problem on other sport cars with low profile tires as well (C-32).

Interesting that the pull is always to the right. Some say that the dome of the road causes the pull. However, if you drive down the wrong side of the road, the center dome would cause a pull to the left, where my car still pulls to the right (uphill over the dome).

Anyone have an answer?
  • rghesselrghessel Member Posts: 122
    Does anyone have a 2002 3-series with Navigation? Just curious how well it works, how easy to use, etc. the BMW system is (I haven't heard good things about it...).

I currently have a Lexus with Navigation and LOVE it (the Nav system...the car bores me to death which is why I looking at getting a 330i). I'm not interested in a debate on the merits of Navigation (been there, done that!)...just would like to know what people think of BMW's version.

Also, does anyone know if it is scheduled to be upgraded to a DVD-based system (or otherwise improved) for 2003?
  • ladolceboyladolceboy Member Posts: 2
    I am looking into the possibilty of purchasing a '92 318is. Having never owned a BMW before, I'm curious as to what I can reasonably expect my maintenance costs to average. I love these cars, and the one I have found is a gem, but are the older ones worth the upkeep, versus a similarly aged Honda or Toyota, which I'm also considering? I want something I can take pride in and something I can take care of, but something that will also take care of me. Is this car "the one"?
  • omega007omega007 Member Posts: 1
    I got my '02 325CI last weekend after 2 months plus waiting. It is a 5-spd coupe with sports package, xenon light, moonroof, and black leather. It runs great. I can't love it more.
    Well, as from my personal humble opinion, the power of 325 is pretty good with stick shift.
    Sports package is a must.
    BTW, does anyone know how to open the power windows by remote control? The manual tells that hold unlock button should do it. But it doesn't work. And aslo, seems the sports seat is maunal control one, is that mean no key memory function for the seats? Thanks.
  • hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    For the 330i, I press the unlock button twice and hold it on the second pressing to open the windows.

I noticed the same lack of key-based seat memory on my car the other day. Haven't found the answer however.
  • rshaw11rshaw11 Member Posts: 52
    The power windows won't open or close by remote, I understand it's a legal issue with cars delivered in the U.S. You can open or close all the windows, and moon roof, by putting the key in the driver's door lock and holding it in the lock or unlock position for about 5 seconds. The seat memory is something that you have to have the dealer program in the Key Memory. The dealer should give you one free Key & Car Memory programming session to setup thinks like Daytime Running Lights, Pathway Lighting, Door Auto Locking, and Driver's Seat Memory.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Actually , they do. If you 1st hit the unlock button, depending on your settings then simply hold it down, all windows and Moonroof will open.

only used it a few times, but wait till after dinner , while everyones standing around admiring your ride and descretly hold it down and watch them react, lol

DL
  • rshaw11rshaw11 Member Posts: 52
    Thanks, I'll give it a try. I'm still discovering things about the car, even after 4-weeks. It must be the window close by remote function that doesn't work in U.S. cars. I know that the key/window functions work well, but not something I do often.
  • wlypwlyp Member Posts: 4
    You probably didn't press the unlock button on your key long enough. When we got the car, we also thought remote window opening didn't work. But we discovered you have to be patient and hold the button down long enough (at least several seconds). Also you have to press the key twice (or once depending on your key setting) to unlock every door before that works.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    The 1992-1993 3ers had quite a few teething problems. Also, prior to 1994 the 1.8 engine had a problem with failures of what BMW calls the "profile gasket". I would want a qualified BMW tech go over the car with a fine-toothed comb. I would also want a full service history showing that oil, coolant, and brake fluid were changed at the specified intervals. If I couldn't afford a 1994-up, I would get a 1991 318is. The E30 body has a timeless charm and will be just as much fun to drive.
  • bjjones1bjjones1 Member Posts: 1
    What kind of maintenance cost can I expect for a 323is Coupe. Terribly expensive?
  • rghesselrghessel Member Posts: 122
    Does anyone know (even if minor) what changes will be made to the 2003 3-series? I know it was just recently redesigned, so I'm not expecting anything major...but the little changes might push me to getting the BMW over some of the other cars I'm looking at...
  • pearl2000pearl2000 Member Posts: 12
    I take possession of my new 320i on Friday. What can I/should I expect in terms of what the dealer will go through with me in terms of operation of all the bells and whistles. I got a mini lesson on the test drive but I think I was in information overload as I was just having too much fun driving. Also, what kind of "give-aways" if any can I expect or should I request...floor mats, extra key etc. Thanks!
  • phillkyphillky Member Posts: 1
    Well I have decided on getting a BMW 325 Convertible 1994 Model with Japaneses specs, are there any backdraws for this model or the country of manufacture another thing is does it leak air from the outside at high speeds coz here in the gulf the heat is like HELL !!
  • carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    Regarding BMWs built in South Africa, read today's Wall Street Journal (7/31). In a nut shell, the quality level at that plant is their best, topping the German plant.
  • xxoneputtxxxxoneputtxx Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 325i for a day now...love that throaty growl! Two questions: 1. The black vertical trim between the windows (outside) seems to be a fingerprint magnet. Suggestions for cleaning? (Yes, I'm really trying to use the door handle only.) 2. I have the Steptronic automatic and want to try shifting. Where is it most useful? I figure I might be able to downshift on highway exits to avoid breakpad wear. Does that sound logical?

Well, I'm leaving. Roads to drive!
  • lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    I sort of gave up on engine braking, except on special occasions after an old-timer asked me, "Which do you think are cheaper, brake parts or transmission parts?"

As for the black fingerprints, I haven't found a good solution yet myself. Anyone have one? I don't recommend anything oily or with silicon as they tend to streak, which is a variation of the same annoyance.
  • tgravo2tgravo2 Member Posts: 70
    I am picking up my new 325 this friday but I was wondering if there are any golfers out there who own this car and if they have trouble fitting golf clubs in the trunk, any info would be appreciated thanks
  • nikkinnikkin Member Posts: 1
    HI, I'm a new owner of a 325i with 170k mi.
    It has a few problems already, and I don't know who to turn to. Tried one mechanic in Davis, G & R, and I absolutely do not trust them. My door panels are loose and causing damage- is my most pressing problem. I'm desperate for a trustworthy mechanic, for this as well as a few electrical problems.

Thanks!!
  • walter12walter12 Member Posts: 30
    tgravo2

We own a 01 325Ci. My cart and clubs just about fill up the total trunk space. I can get two sets in the trunk without a cart. If you have a large bag, you may have trouble. My one bag just fits across the trunk. But, we did not buy these cars to be golf carts, did we?

The trip to the course is much nicer now.
  • bmwnewownerbmwnewowner Member Posts: 1
    For 2002 models, does any body know if there is a difference between suspensions for 325xi vs 325i? If a sports package is added to both, do they both get same suspension?
    I just got a 325xi a week ago, no sports package, and did not get a good answer from the dealer.
    Thanks for the reply.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    The xi does have a sport suspension, but it is NOT the same as the sport suspension for the i.

I drove a 325i while my xi was in for it's 15,000 service. The suspension did feel a bit different, but I think it felt more since just because my wheels are a bit narrower on my xi and my ride height is .7" higher (on the xi).

But there indeed is a different suspension. As for 2003, I dunno.

-Paul
    http://community.webshots.com/user/skimblz_ (My 325xi)
    I was wondering if you had trouble cleaning your rims. Your car looks great. I dont have the xi I just have a 325i with the sport package and I have to clean my rims almost every other day. That has been my only little quirk about this car is the brake dust that collects on the rims. I have 6 spoke rims so I know you must have trouble with yours. Also how do you like your xm radio, I thought of putting one in mine but I just cant get myself to like the antenna, also did you install it yourself because I was looking to put the deck in the same place and I wanted to know if it was a tough job.
    can anyone tell me what the button thats shaped like a speaker do? I think you have to have the harmon kardon stereo for it to be there its right above the stick next to the DSC button, the dealer told me it turned off the subs but it does not, it just makes the music sound different, a little worse in my opinion, thanks for any help
  • jsh139jsh139 Member Posts: 42
    If it's anything like the Harman Kardon system in the E36 3-series, it's called the Spacializer Switch. The manual says that turning it on makes the music sound as if you're in a much bigger area.

It sounds like it turns down the treble or something when you turn it off. But what does it actually do? I have no clue :( I leave mine on the side with the bigger speaker picture.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Thanks for your comments about the car and the XM.

Actually, the rims are very easy to keep clean. I have a tool that I picked up at the auto shop to get between them. You can also use a soft paintbrush to clean between them. Works well for me.

As for the XM, I am wishing a bit that I had gotten the Terk antenna and mounted it up on the roof, but I wanted magnetic mount so I could hide the antenna when I wasn't in the car or in a bad area. I had somebody install it. The shop is the only place around that my BMW dealership will honor warranty work on. So if something goes wrong with my head unit, BMW will still work on it. That was very important to me.

As for mounting the display where I did, it was a bit of work. They made a custom piece of plastic to fit the display unit, then brushed it and added some trim work to make it match the rest of the car. That was the longest part of the installation. But well worth it. I only wish I could have tilted it just a bit so it was easier to read. The remote stores perfectly in the armrest.

Another issue with the installation was making the RF unit fit into the dash. Apparently, the space back there is a premium, so it took some packing. Do NOT go to a place like Best Buy to have it installed for 'free.' You will get what you pay for. My installation, while not perfect, is much cleaner and there is not 1" of cable to be seen in my car at all (except for the antenna in the trunk).

-Paul
    Thanks for the advice, I was definitely going to get the Terk antenna or the sony antenna which are both roof mounted, the sony is a little smaller than the terk. I am not a big fan of the pioneer fin antenna. I am leaning more towards just adding a nice Pioneer cd player with XM capability to replace my factory CD player, that way I have a nice radio and all I need to get is the receiver and antenna.

Anybody out there change out their factory CD player to an aftermarket one, anyone have pics of it??

I am really worried how it will look sitting right above the A/C controls because it looks so clean right now, It fits together well, also I have the H/K system, it is 12 speakers and the cd players are listed as 50x4 for 50 watts for 4 speakers, anybody know if a new CD player will not improve sound quality because of the number of speakers, and also if I get a CD player with preamp outputs and a subwoofer output, can I use this subwoofer output with my factory amp and subs???

Also has anyone ever replaced the factory amp for a better one, anyone know the location of the amp on an 02 325 with H/K, and anyone know the specs on the amp.

Sorry for so many questions, I just got this car, thanks for all your help guys.
  • nader22nader22 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 325i as well. It's a [non-permissible content removed] to clean the rims. The other fellow that has no problem with it, must wash them everyday. I once did not clean them for about 3 weeks. When I started washing them, I realized it was going no where. Needless to say, I went at it for so long that it damaged the paint and I had to get the rim re-painted. I guess frequest cleaning is the only way to avoid it.
  • bimmer3ibimmer3i Member Posts: 48
    What tool you use to clean the rims? Do you use any washing liquid to remove the brake dust easily? I read a post on putting wax on the rim to minimize the brake dust accumulation but I think the post didn't specify what brand/type of wax is used.

I just got my 330i last Wednesday. After 3 days of driving the car for about 100 miles, there are considerable accumulation of brake dust on the rims. I used orange cleaner (degreaser) and paper towel. I think I spent more than 30 minutes.

A appreciate any suggestion/help on this matter.

Thanks.

-Ron
  • hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    Use caution with the "orange stuff". I bought some of this at Costco for my 330i rims. The fine print on the label says "not for aluminum". I called the customer service department of the manufacturer and they told me that the product is not recommended for aluminum rims.

I promptly threw the stuff out, so I couldn't tell you the brand.
    Use BMW's proprietary wheel cleaner or P21s. NEVER EVER use paper towels on your wheels- you will scratch the clearcoat. Use a sponge and a soft bristle wheel brush. Once you get the procedure down it shouldn't take more than five minutes per wheel, tops.
  • gsealockgsealock Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a new 325I last week. It was an over the phone deal so I really had no salesman to explain all the goodies and gadgets with me. For example, the headlight washers, seat memory, etc. I also have heard that they can program some things for me at the dealership such as automatic locking doors, etc. Could anyone let me in on some of the secrets so that when I return to the dealership, I know what to ask about. Thanks for your help guys!!
    Thanks hgeyer/div2 for your advice. Appreciate it very much.
    I purchased wheel brush from autoanything.com and wheel liquid cleaner from griotsgarage.com. Has anybody tried these products?
    I don't know about the wheel brush, but in my experience Griots products tend to be of high quality but sometimes a bit expensive. Their customer service is excellent.
    I use "automotive" Simple Green on my wheels. It's a very mild detergent. But, it strips wax, so if you have wax on your wheels (a very good idea) you will need to reapply.

I've been using it for a year and a half and have not noticed any ill effects. It also works great on removing bugs and road tar from the front bumper :)

I think it cost something like $3.00 for a nice sized bottle at Pep Boys.

-Josh

Thanks a lot div2/jsh139 for your response.

What brand of wax would you recommend?
    Wow, now you're opening up a can of worms :) Wax/polish is a widely debated topic on here.

I personally use Zaino. It's a non-abrasive polish. Makes the paint look like glass, lasts a while, and applies/removes fairly easily (as long as you let it thoroughly dry).

Click the link below to see a (relative) closeup of my car's paint (only one I have that close up). Keep in mind this is almost 5 year old paint. Also, since the car's yellow, it doesn't give that mirror-like effect of black paint. But, I think it looks pretty good! The paint really feels as smooth as it looks, too!

Paint Pic

Thanks for the advice. Your car paint really looks good. I think I should try that wax.
  • abcnycabcnyc Member Posts: 101
    I've been using Eagle One wheel cleaner. I thought I read somewhere that P21s was recommended by European automakers (probably just an ad). I think I'll try the P21s next. Do you have any experience with Eagle One ? I want to make sure I use something that will not damage the wheel paint and finish.
    I read some posts saying that it's not that hard to install the alarm in the 3 series. I'm planning to purchase one and install it myself. I enrolled in BMWCCA last week, just wondering if I could purchase the alarm on discounted price as BMWCCA member, could I?
    Also, anyone there that had installed the alarm in their 3 series? Is it really easy? Any website on this topic?
    TIA for all your help.
    Ron
  • ipatty13ipatty13 Member Posts: 47
    Here's a link that seems to be pretty informative. I intend to use it, as well. Approx. 1 hour to install.

http://e46fanatics.com/faq/alarminstall/index.html

Thanks for the website. The instructions are in details and the pictures are really a big help.
    Thanks again, really appreciatte it.
    -Ron
    I've always used either BMW Wheel Cleaner, P21s Gel, or Zymol Wheel Cleaner. The BMW product seems to be the most aggressive, but I've never had it affect the finish of a BMW OEM wheel.
  • straycat1straycat1 Member Posts: 1
    i live in new england and i'm considering a 3-series beemer. i would like the stability of AWD in our cold and miserable winters, but haven't the germans been driving forever in crappy winter weather without AWD? and what do owners of 5 and 7-series do in bad weather? i'm sure the "xi" is a nice feature, giving extra stability, but is this really necessary, or is it just another gimmick to take away market share from its AWD competitor Audi?
  • mschukarmschukar Member Posts: 351
    For a fraction of the cost of AWD, you can get a set of 4 winter tires and rims from Tire Rack. I just got mine in the mail today, as a matter of fact.

Simple physics, AWD only works when your foot is on the accelerator while winter tires offer benefits in accelerating, braking and cornering. Have you ever been in an accident because you couldn't accelerate? I haven't Plus, you can take the winter tires off in the spring while your stuck with the AWD (with the added weight and reduced gas mileage) all year 'round.

On the other hand, I haven't driven my 325i in the snow yet, but we use winter tires on our Volvo wagon and they make a huge difference.

-murray
This discussion has been closed.