Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

help programing a gm keyless entry remote

mrjflemingmrjfleming Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Pontiac
my 2 year old got a hold of my wifes keys and they have entered the land of lost socks. We own a 2000 pontiac montana, our neighbors totaled out there 2000 chevy venture (all the passengers were un-injured) and still have their old remote which they have given us.

I need help on how to program this remote so it will work along with our remaining remote.

thanks for the help.

Comments

• fclspatfclspat Member Posts: 61
    Here's how to program a GMC Yukon / Chevy Tahoe. Maybe it'll work for the Montana.

Transmitter Programming:
    1.Start with the ignition OFF ,hold down the power unlock button on the door panel. Turn ignition key ON ,OFF, ON, OFF. Release power unlock button on the door panel. The locks will cycle once.
    2.Hold down the keyless entry transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons for 15 seconds. The
    locks will again cycle once.
    3.Repeat step #2 for each additional keyless entry transmitter.
    4. Turn the ignition on to exit the keyless entry transmitter programming mode. Programming is now complete.

There is another programming method but it requires the use of a scan tool.
    I just got a Olds Alero GX (stripped model). The GX is the only Alero that does not have the keyless fob as a standard item.

But all Alero's (including the GX) have Power Locks and Power Trunk... so I am wonding if I pick up a transmitter whether I can program it without any other modifications? Anyone have an idea?

Sil
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    Once the remote control door lock receiver enters the programming/diagnostic mode, the programming of the first transmitter erases all previous transmitter programming information, requiring the programming of all transmitters.

Program only 1 vehicle remote control door lock receiver at a time. If more than 1 receiver is being programmed at the same time, it is possible that the same transmitter could be programmed to more than 1 remote control door lock receiver.

Perform the following steps in order to program the transmitter:

Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
    Remove the BCM PRGRM fuse from the fuse panel. Refer to Fuse Block diagram.
    Close all of the doors.
    Close the liftgate.
    Turn the ignition lock cylinder to ACC.
    Turn the ignition lock cylinder to OFF, and then back to ACC within 1 second.
    Open and close any vehicle door. A chime will be heard when the system enters the BCM programming/diagnostic mode.

Important
    After 7 seconds, a chime may be heard confirming successful synchronization. It is necessary to wait approximately 14 seconds for a second chime that will confirm successful programming.

Press and hold the transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for 14 seconds.
    Repeat the previous step on each additional transmitter to be programmed.
    Install the BCM PRGRM fuse back into the fuse panel. Refer to Fuse Block diagram.

Important:Be careful and be sure which fuse you pull.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    I'm sure your Alero has the wiring and connectors necessary, but the receiver probably isn't there. Maybe GM offers a kit to install the feature. I know you can get an aftermarket system but if it will plug directly into the GM harness is questionable. They can be hardwired to your existing door and trunk locking systems.
    Are you the person that posted in the Alero topic in Sedans? I was looking for a Silver Alero GX with 4cyl/5sp in California but had no luck. Actually, I found no 5sp at all! I wasn't that picky about the color either, would have taken any lighter color.
    Thanks for the input on keyless entry. Do you know where the receiver is located? Or what the part number would be?

Yes, I was on the Alero forum. 4dr GX 5spd is hard to find. In the Boston to Philly area there are about six. Two at one dealer in Boston area (a Blue and Silver). One in NW CT (Silver), one in Albany, NY (Silver), one in North Philly (Silver).

My mother has a blue Alero and I don't care for Silver. There was a Black one in Norht Philly, but it was sold from under me and there was a Ruby one in SE Ct that I scooped up!

If not for the Ruby I'd have settled for the Blue or Silver....

Sil
    Is the keyless entry procedure on the Montana the same on the Alero? I need to know how to program an Alero keyless fob.

Thanks.
    Sil
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    To program the transmitters, perform the following procedure while seated in the vehicle driver's seat:

Close all the vehicle doors.
    Press and hold unlock on the door lock switch.

steps 4 through 6 must be completed within 25 seconds of pressing the door unlock switch.

While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, insert and remove the ignition key twice. Do not rotate the ignition lock cylinder.
    Insert the ignition key a third time leaving the key in the ignition lock cylinder. The ignition must remain in the LOCK position for the rest of the procedure.
    Release the door lock switch. The chime will sound three chimes to signal that transmitter programming/diagnostic mode is active.
    Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons at the same time on the keyless entry transmitter for approximately 4 seconds. The chime will sound two times to signal that the transmitter has been programmed successfully.
    Repeat step 7 for the rest of the transmitters (for a total of 4 transmitters).
    To exit the transmitter programming/diagnostic mode perform either of the following:
    Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.
    Remove the ignition key from the ignition switch.
    Would you know where the keyless remote receiver is in the Alero (or what the part number is).

When I get home tonight I will check to see if your procedure works. My fear is that my car (which I a stripped Alero that has power lock & truck but no keyless entry) may be wired to run the procedure you describe, but does not have the receiver on board.

Your thoughts are appreciated!
    Sorry for the delay, had to check the manual. The keyless entry receiver is located in the trunk under the package shelf. The wire harness for it is probably not present, since it looks like it has it's own small harness that in turn plugs into the main harness somewhere. The signals from the receiver are routed to the body control module. I'm looking in a Grand Am manual, but it's the same.
    The mounting holes for the receiver are in about the center of the package shelf, no hardware is used, it more or less snaps in. Your GX shouldn't have it unless it was put on as an option. I'm sure it can be added, and it's a possibility a kit is available with all parts.
    If you visit: www.auto-parts-for-less.com/ they have the parts listed for keyless entry. You may have to call them directly for 2001 models since they don't seem to have the parts for 2001 listed yet, even though I think they are the same since the 99 model.
  • dmnewtondmnewton Member Posts: 1
    I bought a battery for the keyless entry, but it still does not work. Does anyone know how to reactivate the thing after battery replacement?
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    Sit in the car with the doors shut, push both lock and unlock buttons at the same time for 10 seconds. When you hear the doors lock and unlock your back in business. That is how it is done on my Yukon XL, but I think it is universal for GM keyless entry. It should be in the owners manual under locks in the index if it doesn't work.
  • jjeffjjeff Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of purchasing a 98 Mercury Mountaineer from a leasing
    company. Does anyone know how to reset the door panel keyless entry code
    without having the current code? I would like to be able to use this feature.
    Thanks
    If the code is factory set the dealer can look it up on their computer, you will need a drivers license and the registration for proof of ownership. If it is not factory set the dealer should be able to either pull it from the computer, or clear it and help you program your own code. It should all be in the owners manual, if you didn't get one, order one through the dealer, they have tons of useful little junk in there.
  • pesce1pesce1 Member Posts: 3
    I also have lost a remote on my '94 Vision. I have a leftover remote from a Buick. I am wondering if this could be reprogrammed to work on my car. If so, how can this done. This would be greatly appreciated.
  • fschoefflerfschoeffler Member Posts: 7
    For those who are interested, I lost a remote and purchased another from the dealer. I successfully used the following instructions previously posted in this discussion to reprogram two remotes including an original and the new remote. The dealers will sometimes charge to perform this task. I believe this procedure is from the shop manual and can not be found in the owners manual.

-----------------------------------------------------

Once the remote control door lock receiver enters the programming/diagnostic mode, the programming of the first transmitter erases all previous transmitter programming information, requiring the programming of all transmitters.

Program only 1 vehicle remote control door lock receiver at a time. If more than 1 receiver is being programmed at the same time, it is possible that the same transmitter could be programmed to more than 1 remote control door lock receiver.

Perform the following steps in order to program the transmitter:
    · Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
    · Remove the BCM PRGRM fuse from the fuse panel. Refer to Fuse Block diagram.
    · Close all of the doors.
    · Close the liftgate.
    · Turn the ignition lock cylinder to ACC.
    · Turn the ignition lock cylinder to OFF, and then back to ACC within 1 second. Open and close any vehicle door. A chime will be heard when the system enters the BCM programming/diagnostic mode.

Important
    After 7 seconds, a chime may be heard confirming successful synchronization. It is necessary to wait approximately 14 seconds for a second chime that will confirm successful programming.

· Press and hold the transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for 14 seconds.
    · Repeat the previous step on each additional transmitter to be programmed.
    · Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
    · Install the BCM PRGRM fuse back into the fuse panel. Refer to Fuse Block diagram.

Important: Be careful and be sure which fuse you pull.
  • larryksmithlarryksmith Member Posts: 1
    I found a remote on e-bay for $10 which is much less than the $60 from the dealer. Problem is no instructions for programming. Can anyone help me?

Thanks.
  • brandonbailey1brandonbailey1 Member Posts: 1
    can anyone help with the programing instructions for a 94 olds bravada

thanks brandon
    Did you purchase a new remote or just change the battery in the old one? If it's not origianl to the truck a trip to the dealer is nessessary. Otherwise it is simple, just follow the instructions I have posted above.
This discussion has been closed.