Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Owners Meet the Members

Comments

• vgainesvgaines Member Posts: 5
    My gas mileage has been between 13.1 (only once) and 16.8 (the fill up I had today).

Have any idea how the gas mileage is on the road?
    I just bought the 2002 TB LS 4WD, with the Group 3 packaging, and I LOVE it! This is my first SUV, and after looking at the Envoy and TB (which were darn near identical in specs but $3K difference in price), I decided on the TrailBlazer. Went into the dealership, test drove one, and picked up my new ride later on that evening!

I also had the alarm system and remote start installed, in addition to the sound-proofing package.

Gas mileage is presently around 16mpg in the city, but I haven't taken it on the highway, yet.

The only issue I've had so far is with the stereo system. I had the standard system, but it just doesn't give me the sound that I want. The Bose system didn't come with the one I bought, so I'm going to have a better quality system installed this week.

Just hit the 1,000 mile mark, and it's great!

Vic.

ps. This is a great forum, love the conversation!
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    Good luck with the aftermarket stereo install. I havent checked in a while, but last i looked (about a month ago) they still havent come out with the correct wiring harness for the triplets. I would not let anyone do a hack job on the stereo as it controls all your chimes through the front speakers under the windshield, and there are two yellow leads into the stereo, one is the acc wire, and the other is the databus wire. All the places in Portland, OR will not touch the stereo until they come out with a new wiring harness. apparently, theres a rumor that someone tried last year and blew all the airbags... =oP just a FYI note...
    I did some adjusting on my stereo, and it sounds a little better now. I changed my mind about the upgrade, as I wanted to keep that factory look without having an amp mounted in a visible place. As you know, there's no room under the back seats, and the front seats aren't necessarily the best place for them, especially if you have passengers.

I still haven't heard much from the front speakers under the windshield, though. Are they just for chimes? Can you hear anything from them?

Thanks. I'd rather have the same system, than two less airbags. Haha
    Actually, Vgaines, I did find a nice place to hide a decent sized amp, in the center cargo area of the rear deck, also found out that an 8" sub will fit nicely in the right side panel keeping all cargo area free. you probably can find a nice 6 channel amp and get it all set up, although I personally probably would get some ventilation set up in there. Unfortunately, you will lose most of your cargo space. BTW, a cap will fit in the left hand side storage area. =o)
  • biggie4852biggie4852 Member Posts: 34
    what amp did you install. Any picture sure would be nice to see. I have 02 LS trying to upgrade with a rf cd changer. Add two speaker in the dash and new 5 channel amp, plus add a sub. Have went to crutcthfield but they seem to be very high prices. any help .
  • popupcamperpopupcamper Member Posts: 2
    Hello, well we have a pretty standard white TB LT, 2wd. Installed a Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller so we can pull our 2002 Coleman Niagara popup camper. I've also built a stand for our 9" TV/VCR that goes between the seats. DVD would have been nice but couldn't justify the cost at this time.

Steve

http://home.attbi.com/~popupcamping/

• mjdartmjdart Member Posts: 11
    The LS Model fit the bill perfectly. It was manufactured on 6-19-02 so its probably one of the last '02's. I really like the styling and colors. Its got the option 3 package on it along with Limited Slip. Stickered for $27,960 and GMS was $24,477. 0% finance deal was the cream on top. I've crawled all over and under this truck and GM did a real nice job. The ride is excellent and the handling is awesome. I would like to put fog lights on it if they are available, otherwise its really just what we wanted. Thanks to my Dad the GM retiree for a wonderful price.
  • donjoydonjoy Member Posts: 3
    We just purchased the LTZ 4wd with bose 6 disc cd changer leather heated seats,sunroof, rear differential think its wonderful we had it simonized inside out for 499 because we bought the 6yr 100,000 mile extended warranty for 1800.00 they gave us the simonize for 499.00 not sure if we got a good deal there. Does anyone like the simonize treatment with the teflon coating? we payed 30,865 including the 2500 rebate think we got it about 186.00 under invoice. how did we do?
  • limbuslimbus Member Posts: 7
    Traded a little 'Stang in on a TB LTZ with everything BUT a moonroof (never used it when I had one on other vehicles), heated seats (Florida), and DVD player (only the dog would be watching.)

She's my first black vehicle (Onyx black with pewter two tone trim) and very nice pewter (two toned) leather interior. The stereo is better than the Mach system in my former car, the Mustang. I love my SUV! It is a very sharp looking vehicle. Nice deal also...we got the rebate and the 0% interest, nice trade and are very happy. The dealer was terrific.

Donjoy asked about the simonize. Well think the dealer has to get some money! We detail our own vehicles using Pinnacle Souveran wax (expensive but incredible) and other products that many pro detailers use.

My spouse, not to be outdone, bought another vehicle too...keeping the Blue Oval folks happy. His is sportier, but I love my Trailblazer. Really like OnStar and all the electronic extras. Have everything programmed to a "T" now and find I like driving even more than ever.
  • louisblouisb Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a '02 TB in February '02. When I drive on a road with slight bumps (washboard)I hear a suspension squeak coming from the front left side.

Has anybody experienced this? If so, what was the cause and how did they fix it?

Thanks for any advice!
  • rebadanrebadan Member Posts: 4
    I just got a Trailblazer 02 with 6000+ miles on it. It's squeaking as well. I'm planning on bringing it to the dealer next week. Have you gone to the dealer where you bought the truck to report the problem?
  • segel10segel10 Member Posts: 8
    I think I finally have mine fixed, thanks to information provided by others here.

One: Adjust the stand off post on the left and right of the hood. With the hood closed, I could lift mine up slightly. I turned each a quarter turn at a time to exted it until this play was almost totally gone. The has stoped the noise you are talking about.

Two: Early on I had a major squeak that turned out to be from one of the plastic wheelwell fasteners. It was located on the right side under the air cleaner. I was resting on top of a line fitting and you could see the polish area when I snipped off the end of the fastener.

Hope these help!
  • mpoveympovey Member Posts: 3
    I have a Summit White 2002 Trailblazer. Does any one know where to locate the paint number? Have looked at sticker in glove box no luck. Also checked on window sticker no luck. Any help locating part number would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you segel10 for the tips on fixing the suspension squeaking. I'll give it a try. Actually, the mechanics at the dealer where I bought the truck from will try your tips.

Thanks again!
    try the driver door. Usually there is a sticker with the vin, model, ext and int color codes... lotsa info.
    Thanks for the tips.

Rebadan,

In fact, I just brought my TB to the dealership. They claim they found a loose clip and replaced it. However, they did not remedy the problem.

While at the dealership, I had an interesting conversation with a fellow '02 TB owner (purchased in July '01). He hears a suspension noise as well. According to this owner, early TB models had front stabilizer problems.
    Louisb,

What have they done with the front stablizer? Did they tell the owner oh well, live with it or get a different vehicle?

The mechanic I'm dealing with where I bought the vehicle has never heard of this problem (or so he says).
    I have a 2002 Trailblazer LS (Manuf.Date 5/02)that I just got with 6500 miles on it. When I go over certain bumps on the road, there's a chirping/squeaking noise coming from the suspension.
    The dealers mechanic cannot duplicate the noise and they said nobody else is reporting this problem.
    If you are experiencing this noise with your 2002 Trailblazer LS Model, please report it to GM Motors.
    So far there have been a few people complaining about this problem. If enough people go to GM about this issue, they may just address it and fix the problem.
    Some tips have come through to try to resolve the noise, but the annoying chirping noise on certain roads and bumps is still there.
    Thank you.
    Rebadan,

The owner had not yet brought his TB to the dealership for this issue.

I suggest you invite the service writer or mechanic to take a ride with you so they can witness the noise.

Next week, I plan to bring my TB to another dealership to fix the suspension noise. I will let you know.
  • ostingosting Member Posts: 1
    02 EXT LT 4WD w/4200 SFI I6 & 6000 miles - Love the vechile however the gas mileage is not what was promised. Have a mileage computer and the best it can get on highway is 16.7 and in the city 12.0. Check manually and get the same results. Any feedback?
  • trich2trich2 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a demo with 5200 miles on it and I also got poor gas mileage. First I put a K&N air filter on and put a can of sea foam (ejector cleaner) in the fuel system. Finnaly I changed the oil to Royal Purple Synthetic which the salesman said I can run for 20K before changing. I will only run 10K between changes. The results I have seen have been great. 21mpg on the hiway and 17 around town. I think the Royal Purple helped the most. Hope this helps!!!
  • trich2trich2 Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 LTZ seems to have a hot radio. I would think this would be hard on it after time, does anyone else have this problem?
  • mrpettymrpetty Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a TB, LT and now find that the second row seats do not adjust backwards. They do adjust forward, but in normal position they are too straight up for comfort. Does anyone know how to adjust them more or has a fix for GM's obvious error. So much for truck people designing for car occupants. Thanks Much!

Gnarley Mc
  • blazedblazed Member Posts: 2
    I am new to the discussions and was wondering if anyone has had problems with power steering in cold weather. Cold meaning having the TB setting out over night in 10-20 degree weather. When turing the steering wheel, sounds like squeaking noise when leaving the center position and back during a turn. It finally goes away after running for a while. Thought possibly a problem in power steering pump. Anything like this encountered elsewhere?
  • dyebossdyeboss Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. Just joined this site and noticed some complaints on this. I had the same one on my '02 TB. Took it to the dealer and they knew immediately what it was. Turns out that the problem in the hood latch. It has to have grease on it. And very heavy grease. I tried driving the front of the truck at an angle and touching the curb of a parking lot. When I did it an kind of climbed the small curb the noise was from both angles. Was positive it was suspension. Well the grease fixed it. I was very surprised by this. Possibly adjusting the hood bumpers on the front edges would do but that was the solution that was used by my dealer. It has worked well.
  • bigfigbigfig Member Posts: 35
    To Blazed-- I have a '03 TB ext with 2375 miles and recently I have been hearing the same noise that you are referring to and just the other day mentioned it to wife. I suspect also that it could be in the steering mechanism. I live in the New Orleans area and our temperatures have been dropping to about the high 30's lately which is very unusual. Seriously thinking about looking up to see if any bulletins have been issued by GM concerning this problem. Will talk with the service manager when I take TB in for 3000 oil change.
  • jackiej33jackiej33 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 TB and have had a problem with the brakes going to the floor when I sit with my foot on the pedal. The dealer changed my master cylinder and it helped. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • cressidajcressidaj Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2002 Trailblazer that is throwing road debris from the front tires onto the flanged area in front of the rear tires. I have 13000 miles on it. It has never been off road. In conversations with Chevrolet they will not do anything to make it right. I asked for mudflaps and repaint of the area. Since then I have discovered two more Trailblazers with the same damage. Since the 2003 and 2002's are the same body design it will be a problem with both. Everyone should check their vehicle immediately and if you find damage file a complaint. I will be contacting the attorney general and the BBB. I, also plan to provide this information to dealers so that they will be under pressure to get this design problem taken care of.
  • candy6candy6 Member Posts: 2
    My name is denise & i have had my LS since oct of 01 Indigo metalic blue
    Luv It!! But it certainly has had alot of problems hot cd player lights going on & off..doors locking even though keys are in the ignition shifts itself into gear ..hs put itself in park 2x & 4 wheel drive 1x..the 4 wheel drive is too tight can barely make turns with it in 4 wheel drive..does anyone else experience these type of problems? I still Luv it though despite its troubles
    Denise
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Have you checked Edmunds Maintenance Guide for recalls and technical service bulletins?

Also, try entering "electrical" into the "Search this discussion" box to find any other posts with these possible similar problems.
  • candy6candy6 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Karen..I will certainly look into that I checked there before but have not checked there recently.. thanks
    Denise
  • jtruonojtruono Member Posts: 1
    As I brought my 2002 Trailblazer in for the 5th time (each time had multiple repairs) the service manager said I can't find the first repair on the gas fill problem "YOU HAVE TOO MANY PAGES OF REPAIRS". My truck wouldn't take any gas, it kept shooting out the fill neck & I had to cancel my Sunday outing with the family. The brakes have vibration when stopping (warped roters) in 2 times for this. My 4wd keeps freeking out & jumping into 4wd low at 60mh & flashes 2 4wd lights & reads service 4wd on dash. Two weeks ago it lunged into reverse after I put it into park & tried to shut it down because of its error lights.
    The computer had to be re programed because it had a valve clatter so loud I thought something came loose. The second day I had it I found screws loose under the hood on the hood support arm. It sometimes bumps into gear in low & others it takes too long to shift into the next gear. Aside from this it rides nice & pulls my boat very well.
  • kkheerenkkheeren Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 LT and during the first week I had it, it started to have a squeaking noise coming from the front passenger side. I took it in 3 seperate times before they finally found out what it was. It was a fender clip that held in the fender lining that was turned the wrong way and the transmission line was rubbing against the clip. They replaced the clip and I have had no further problems. Just thought I would pass this info on, I hope it helps someone else.
  • corttcortt Member Posts: 7
    I just got a LTZ and would like to add window vents for the
    4 windows. I have found several types (3M stick-on, clip on,
    insert in window channel) but am not sure which is best. Has
    anyone out there have window vents and care to comment
    on their satisfaction for the type? I installed "autovent" from
    the local auto parts store to my 1996 GMC Jimmy which used
    the 3M tape and they fit perfect and lasted for the 7 years I
    owned it. They are great for summer rains and heat disipation. Thanks for any advice on experience with the
    Trailblazers.
  • trailblisstrailbliss Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone, I've been reading up for a while on the trailblazers and I'm still a little leary on buying one! I'm in the market for a used SUV and I'm really interested in the trailblazer. Love the looks and was very pleased with the drive and performance.

Can someone please fill me in on the reliability of these vehicles? I haven't heard great things about chevy but in the same, I've heard they've been changing their ways. Please please help me, I'm going coocoo over here trying to decide what to buy ;)
  • tblazer1tblazer1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer. Can someone tell me how to adjust the parking brake? The cable has stretched and no longer engages the brake.

Thanks for your help!
  • leopardmechleopardmech Member Posts: 10
    Enabling the Park Brake Cable Automatic Adjuster

Lower the park brake lever.
    Raise the park brake lever.
    Lift the park brake lever boot to gain access to the multiplier lever at the front of the park brake lever assembly.
    Pivot the multiplier lever up and down 3 times.
    Cycle the park brake lever up and down three times for auto adjustment.
    Lower the park brake lever boot.
  • moore27moore27 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my LTZ for about a year now and have had nothing but problems. During the year been to the dealer about 6 times with major repairs. Including broken tie rod (DANGEROUS), exhaust leak,diff. bearing, and numerouspetty but necessary repairs while under warranty. The final straw was the driver side rear window regulator breaking allowing the window the move up and down by hand. Finally decided to call the dealer and suggest a new vehicle. Just starting the ball rolling so I don't know what the result will be. If anybody is interested they can e-mail at moore_93@hotmail.com
  • icefisherman43icefisherman43 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Trailblazer, I have been having a problem starting it when it sits outside in 10 degrees or below. The vehicle turns over but will not catch. It is only after the temp rises or the sun hits the hood for a few hours will it start. Mechanics have tested it but are baffled and have no idea other than pay up for the testing procedure. Anyone else with this problem or any ideas.
  • aevertszaevertsz Member Posts: 1
    Hi, my name is Aevertsz, I own a 2004 trailblazer LT with the navigation package. I would like to see some discussion on tips and tricks with the navi package. Also when are new nav DVD's published and can they be obtained at the dealer?
  • lisahlisah Member Posts: 2
    My name is Lisa H. I currently own a 2003 chevy trailblazer and my family also owns a 2002 chevy trailblazer. The 2002 has had no problems and run perfectly. Mine however has had a long list of problems. In the first month I owned the car I started hearinga rattle in the engine. Turned out it was the catalytic converter, they replaced it and it was still there. Throughout the past 9 months they have replaced the catalytic converter twice, the exauhst system, the fuel injecter, the heat sheild, etc. They cannot fix the noise. My sunroof has also worked intermittenly since owning the car and has repeatedly been fixed. The dealership now claims it is operator error because they have continued to fix the same problems. Third my cruise control took over while I was driving on the highway. It got me up to 95 mph with my brake to the floorboard and the cruise control turned off. The governer finally kicked in and turned the car off. These are major problems I have dealt with, but there are about 8 other more minor problems. Has anyone had the same problems or know of anyone that has? My car has now been turned in as a lemon and I am shopping for a new car. I am hesitant to buy a new trailblazer although I lvoe the car and I ahve loved our 2002. I am considering a toyota highlander. any warnings or suggestions from other owners would be very much appreciated. Scared to trust GM again. Thanks.
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    Well i do have a tblazer same yr same trim i have not had the same problems you have. But i do say this in 06 gm MUST OVERHAUL THIS SUV TO COMPETE WITH THE REST OF BOYS!!!! The exhaust i am putting on is a borla on mine. I do think you can trust gm but you have to know where to buy a gm product from a DEALER I SAY AGAIN DEALER that will be nice and considerate of you. I drive like 28 miles to get my tblazer serviced because the one i bought it from is a jerks. simply put. So do not give up on gm follow these things and you will be ok. Lastly check out the csi that means customer service index of the dealers you go to. That means the service shop. they have to tell you what it is if they do not tell you there full of mess. if they do not tell you well you know what to do.
  • vince3vince3 Member Posts: 1
    I OWN A 2002 TB LTZ AND I NOTICED A PROBLEM WITH THE BUTTONS AROUND AND ON THE RADIO, THERE PEALING OFF. IF ANY ONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THIS E-MAIL ME AT SGAMBELLURI@AOL.COM
  • therapywrkstherapywrks Member Posts: 1
    hello, i seem to have the same problem (pealing radio buttons) with my Trailblazer. when truck was under warranty, they replaced whole radio (twice). I no longer have warranty...and just today I noticed that one button was pealing. What have you done?
  • jsweetjsweet Member Posts: 1
    Any updates on your peeling radio buttons, I noticed mine are peeling too and it's still under warranty. Did you have any problems with the dealer in replacing while under warranty?
    Thanks
  • adupweadupwe Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 trailblazer.. I got it in Oct 03. I absolutely loved it.. but a couple of weeks ago the lights on my radio numbers went out.. but came back on and the just went out.. couple of days after that the cd player completely stopped working... well night before last I woke up to cops banging on my door because my trailblazer was on fire in my driveway at 2 am in the morning. I absolutely loved this car but I am scared of them now.. they said it looked to be electrical starting around the center console area between the front seats(the one that has the heat/air controller and adapter plug like for dvd or cell phone) but I had none of these in my car... it is totally baffling me.. and I was wondering if anyone else experience any electrical problems?
  • riddhishriddhish Member Posts: 1
    IF you are thinking about buying chevy trailblazer then forget it. Don't even think of buying it in your dreams. It's the least reliable vehicle chevy makes. Read the consumer reports. For 2002-2004 Trailblazer has a 8 recalls. Hope that you got all the information that you need.
  • adamjeepsadamjeeps Member Posts: 56
    I don't think recalls has anything to do with the reliability of a vehicle.
  • nmertznmertz Member Posts: 27
    Just found these forums. Wish I had seen them before I bought. Also damn glad I bought the extended warranty. Have an 02 Trailblazer bought new about a week after the 9-11 attack. At 1000 miles the A/C quit blowing. Two DLR visits to find a shorted resistor in the blower assy. At 9000 miles the tranny started slipping. Three DLR visits just to diagnose this one. Low fluid in the tranny but no apparent leaks. Finally found bad seal between tranny and transfer case. All the tranny fluid was going into the transfer case!?!?!?!??? A month later it shorted another resistor in the blower assy. Couldn't keep brake light bulbs in it, then discovered a recall for that. Was sort of OK after that until approx 81K when the Master Cylinder failed. A week later the #1 cylinder coil assy failed. I know this doesn't seem like much compared to others I have read here, but I figured I'd put my 2-cents in anyway. We like the ride-and-handling, and it has power to burn. Just wish the build quality was better.