Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Envoy Owners Meet the Members

Comments

• willie11willie11 Member Posts: 14
    I also have a 2003 Envoy with over 60,000 miles and it has preformed flawlessly so far. Also would like better gas mileage so might get something else next time. By the way we also have a new 07 Hyundai Azera and love it.
  • wildernmwildernm Member Posts: 8
    I own a 2005 Envoy SLT 4WD and for the last six months, I have been experiencing a problem with the electrical system. I allow the vehicle to sit at least two minutes before driving it and after I have driven it 10 minutes or more, the headlights and interior light start to flicker. It will stop flickering for a minute or two and then will begin flickering again constantly. The dealership has replaced the starter, a/c compressor, two batteries, and an alternator and they still can't find out what is causing this problem. Of course it happens intermittenly. When I have experienced this problem, I called the service department to describe what it's doing (no change in volts or rpms), but I can't get the problem to stop. The dealership thought it had something to do with the automatic headlights, but it would still flicker constantly whether the lights were turned on manually or not. Needless to say, I'm very frustrated with the problem and would appreciate any help. The dealership told me that they received a letter from GM stating that other customers had this complain, but they didn't state what the problem was or how to fix it. Other than the constant wind noise, the vehicle is pretty decent.
  • dburch16dburch16 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2004 Envoy with electrical issues also. We didn't notice them till summer 2006. Blinking & dimming lights and battery dead once. Battery & alternator replaced but last week, dead again and lights are blinking also, and voltage drop on gauge. Dealer can't find any thing wrong and says the lights blinking on start up is a normal condition? A normal condition? We are very upset with GM for admitting the problem but calling it a normal condition. Vehicle has also locked the doors itself with the engine running (supposed to be impossible)? We really liked the vehicle up till this point.
  • ehannemanehanneman Member Posts: 2
    I bought an after market switch by standard for $30 but it would leave the dashboard lights on after the key was removed. It did take care of all my other problems until I left the light on one night and my battery went dead. Now I have to go to the dealership that could not fix the problem and buy a gm ignition switch from them.
  • 03gmcenvoyxl03gmcenvoyxl Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2003 gmc envoy xl that had about 44,000 miles, since day 1. I have had problems with the truck. When I bought it from D'arcy motors in joliet, they were trying to pull my chain. I bought the truck knowing that they were going to have to put a new transmission in the truck,because it slipped going from 2nd to 3rd gear, and the dealer said that the truck has to adjust to my driving technique. BS. So i had the truck for 2 weeks and i was going to go out of town when the truck started to slip really bad so I took it in to get the transmission replaced.( brand new) Also I have been having problems with my gas gauge giving me faulty readings, so it has been in the dealer for that about 5 times now and they replace the instrument cluster , fuel pump, fuel pressure sending unit and a few sensors, and it is still not working right, so another fun trip to the dealer. It seems like the truck is at the dealer more than it is on the road. I am currently experiencing a thumping noise in the front end and the dealer is saying it is the stabilizer links which of course are not under the extended warranty. ($350) Replacement of the radio because of a short in the unit. Replaced transmission shift indicator sensor , didn't tell me what gear i was in and cruise control did not work.
    When I first added my information on this site, I didn't have any loss of power to the vehicle. I've taken my Envoy to the dealership 6 times in the last three months. Now I have a message on the DIC stating that my "Battery Not Charging". The first time this message appeared, I didn't lose power. The second time, I lost power. The dealership said that the ECM (Engine Control Module) is bad and needs to be replaced. Have you been able to have your electrical issues resolved? Has anyone else experienced this problem.
  • slaplanteslaplante Member Posts: 8
    I own a 06 Envoy and have had extreme electrical problems with it. It started with the truck stalling at low speeds. Now it has been stuck in my garage for over a week, not starting. Found the starter was fried and replaced it. Still not starting. Discovered the fuse box under the hood was receiving 12 volts but not putting out 12 volts to the neutral safety switch and on to the starter. Now have to buy the fuse box. Called GM and was told because I was 100 miles over the 36000 mile warranty, it was my problem. I also owned a 06 trailblazer that was totally recalled by GM last winter due to the leather seats not being compatable with the passanger air bag sensor. Also own a Pontiac Grand Prix that has had electrical problems since buying. These problems run from the keyless entry not working, key not coming out of ignition, and unable to shift out of park. Have had it! Will never buy GM again. :sick: :mad: :lemon:
  • slaplanteslaplante Member Posts: 8
    I own a 2006 with the same problems, except now it won't start at all no matter how many times it is attempted. Our machanic says the fuse box under the hood is bad. Has 12V going in but isn't putting out 12V to the neutral safety switch which tells the starter that everything is good to go and go ahead and start the engine. the part is coming in tomorrow. Will let you know if this truly fixes the problem.
  • dac312dac312 Member Posts: 1
    I having the same problems, what did you find to be the problem?
  • gogrullogogogrullogo Member Posts: 2
    I own a 04 SUV XLT Envoy. Have had to replace the ignition/starter switch twice in the last 15000 miles. The truck would start - but as soon as you put it in gear it would stall.

Also had to replace both rear tailgate switches thatwent out at the same time.

I also feel there is something not quite right with the trans - seems to slip at times. 50,000 miles on it now.
    After fighting with my dealership, they gave me an extended GM Protection Plan up to 84,000 or 8 years. In the meantime, they replaced the Engine Control Module and I haven't had any problems with the lights flickering or loss of voltage/power to the vehicle. But I had to get the General Manager of the dealership involved before they finally took care of the problem.
  • letteerletteer Member Posts: 2
    I also have an 05 XL SLT with the same flickering lghts. All I have talked the dealership into changing is the alternator which did help for a while (6 months). Mine seems to be more noticeable in colder weather. I just went back this week and they said they will try to replace the BCM (body control module) They told me that Envoy's have a PCM (power control module i think), and a BCM, but not an ECM. My question for wildernm is what did your dealership change on your Envoy, and if you don't mind doing so, could you post your dealers name (or email me) so that I can direct my dealer to them? Thanks.
    I would recommend you contact James Koster (Quality) at 505-348-1152. Because my vehicle was in the shop so many times, we nicknamed it "Jinx". As soon as you tell him that, he'll know exactly what you're talking about. I've also noticed that I experienced more problems with the electrical system when the temperatures were significantly colder. In the meantime, here's what they've replaced on my vehicle....air pump motor, air pump assembly, secondary air injection check value solenoid, batteries, air pump hose assembly, sensor for air system, alternators, Engine Control Module (ECM), BCM, PCM, etc. There was a reprogramming for the emissions system and after that was installed, I didn't have problems with the head lights flickering; however, my check engine light kept coming on. My dealership had a very hard time getting GM to respond to them and GM is refusing to allow the dealership to remove the software upgrade since it seems to have fixed the flickering headlights even though the check engine comes on now. The engine light is connected with the emissions system and the light is more of an annoyance than a real problem with driving the vehicle (so the dealership tells me). The reason the light kept coming on was become of the accumulation of fumes in the catalytic convertor and after the emissions system kicks in three times and the fumes can't be cleared, the check engine light comes on. The dealership is able to clear the fault code in a couple of minutes, but after I've started the vehicle three - four times, the check engine light would come on. Because of the problems and numerous times I've had the vehicle in the shop, GM gave me at no cost the GM Protection Plan for 4 years or 84,000. I have been so frustrated with the problems with the vehicle (in the shop 14 times in 12 months for the same problems and the engine light coming on all the time), I found an attorney to negotiate a cash settlement with GM and I've recently traded in a vehicle for a non-GM product. If you do try to file a claim yourself with GM, be prepared to be "brushed off" and ignored. The only way they responded to me was after I hired an attorney. Also, GM will probably offer the extended warranty to you so you'll be happy. This way, they won't have to pay out very much for the cash settlement since they gave you the extended warranty. You may wish to check into your state's lemon law. The one for NM is good only for the first 12 months from the purchase of the vehicle and I started experiencing problems at 16 months, so I was out of luck on using the lemon law. Good luck to you and let me know if you need additional information or have any other questions.
  • letteerletteer Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much for all the information. I will follow up on the dealer info. I hope it doesn't come to an attorney for me, but GM created this problem and they need to fix it, not just tell us this problem is "normal". They gave me the wait 20 sec speech and that has helped, but that alone will keep me away from GM the next time around. Thanks again.
  • tfrocktfrock Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2005 Envoy in May of 2007. When I bought the Envoy it made a slight whining noise when it was initially started. The dealership said it was because a new belt was put on it. However, when the 36,000 mile warranty ran out the noise got really loud and obnoxious. Because the my Envoy wasn't under warranty any longer I took it to an individual who told me it was the alternator pully- and replaced the alternator. My Envoy ran great for about 4 months. However, the noise is back along with the power gauge fluctuating and it's only December. Auto Zone warrantied the Alternator for a lifetime but I have to have the same repair made again after I take the alternator back and get a new one. Next week my car is due for an oil change and maintenance and there is a loud knocking noise in the engine and the car is running like it's missing. I told the dealership since the engine is still under warranty please give me a heads up if there are major problems with it since it's at 47,000 and the warranty expires 60,000. My car runs like a piece of crap- and I paid a fortune for it. Do you think that I may need the engine control module changed? The dealership just acts like im nuts. If I don't let them do the work- they wont give me any info.
    I'm not sure about the noise since I never had that problem with mine. However, when they did the reprogramming for the software to correct the flickering headlight problem, it did seem that it fixed it; however, my engine light came on every two days. It would stay on until I went to the dealership for them to reset it. Once they reset it, it came back on in two days. I finally got tired of paying my car note to drive rental vehicles while the dealership tried to figure out and fix the problems for three continuous months. My dealership was great, but GM was terrible and this wasn't worth their time to try and help my dealership and I to correct the problems. GM lost a loyal customer and it will be a very long time before I'll buy another GM vehicle. The only thing I can suggest to you is to check out your State's Lemon Law. I know you put quite a bit of money on this vehicle and you wanted to pay it off and have it last for a while. It doesn't sound like that's going to happen the way you want it to. You may also want to check the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act if you don't have any recourse under the Lemon Law. I tried to work with GM directly about my problems and they failed to respond for two months. I ended up obtaining an attorney and filed a claim against GM for the time I spent on this. The cash settlement covered my negative equity so I could purchase a new non-GM vehicle. The attorney took his fees from the settlement amount so I didn't have to pay any money upfront. He was able to resolve this in 30 days when I couldn't even get GM to return any of my phone calls for over two months. If you're trying to keep your vehicle, it sounds like your stuck with your dealership and they don't seem very helpful. Maybe if there's another GM dealership close by that could help you diagnose and fix the problem, you'll have better results.
  • golittlepersongolittleperson Member Posts: 3
    I worked for GM dealers for many years, No disrespect to Auto Zone but their alternators have 1yr or less life expectancy on these vehicles. Great, they give you free replacement for life but you still have the hassle and time/cost for labor. It should only be an option for short term or if you don't mind the risk/labor.
    The entire electrical system, including the PCM rely on correct Alternator current and your not going to find that for any length of time with A.M. I know the factory unit is more expensive but proper diagnosis needs a solid alternator.
    If the dealer finds your problems are related to A.M. components, they can/will charge you for diagnosis. I don't work for the auto industry any more - I'm just giving you some experienced advise. I also drove a 2002 Envoy until this month!
  • 99steve99steve Member Posts: 2
    Worked fine until today. Drove it earlier - no problem. Go out to go to work and AW S...!!! Turn the key and I hear a faint whirling sound from the steering column area. All the lights come on, nothing seems different - except it won't turnover.....!!!!

Any ideas. Calling local GMC dealer in the a.m.......

Thanks!!!

Canton, Ohio :sick:
    Hopefully your dealership was able to troubleshoot the problem for you. It may be your ignition switch (they replaced mine twice in two years).
  • jilliannejillianne Member Posts: 2
    I have had this car for a little over a year and got it brand new. The car ran perfectly the first year I had it. All of a sudden I started hearing a click in the cargo area every time I turned on the rear defroster.....after taking it to the dealership they were able to fix the problem (cant remember what they said was wrong) it took them about 4 days to get my car back to me. Then a week later my gas gauge told me I had no gas when the day earlier I had half a tank...thinking nothing of it I filled up the tank ....when I started the car to drive off the needle was still on empty then soon after my check engine light came on. I took it into the dealership again and they told me there was a re-call and they were able to fix it..(I wish they would have informed me about this recall sooner).....this time it was done in the same day. Today, only 2 months after the last time it was at the dealership getting fixed, I went to start my vehicle to take my kids to school and my key fob would not unlock the doors..thinking the battery in the fob was dead I tried my husbands fob...didnt work. I manually unlocked the door and realized my button to unlock the door in the car would not work either. I went to start my envoy and...nothing...it was TOTALLY dead..no beeping clicking or nothing. Then when I went to take the key out of the ignition it would not turn fully backwards and I could not remove the key. (it was like when you try and turn off your car when it is not in park..the key will not turn off all the way) It was in park and the steering wheel was not locked so I have no clue what the problem is....I called 1-800-GMCTRUCK and they sent a tow truck right away and had it towed to the nearest GMC dealership. I have yet to hear from them about what is going on with my vehicle....this was a VERY stressful morning for me. Before I bought this car all I could find were good reviews, then today I found this site....I had no clue the problems I might have with this vehicle and I am starting to regret buying it. It has only 34000 miles on it and has already been to the shop 3 times..in the last 3 months....very upsetting. The dealer tried to tell me it might be the battery when I was on the phone talking to them about it before I called for a tow truck......I just replaced my battery a month ago litterally....there is no way it can die that fast...and if there is a way then that will cause a big problem.
    Any suggestions...
    I've noticed that GMC vehicles, specifically Envoys, experience electrical problems and none of the dealerships are able to figure out the electrical gremlins. I had two Envoys and both of them experienced electrical problems and the dealership couldn't figure out how to fix them. All I can recommend is to keep all of your service records and document all of the conversations you have with the dealership, GM, etc. regarding the repairs of your vehicle. It sounds like you may have passed the time for use your State's Lemon Law, but you'll want to check. If you aren't able to take advantage of the Lemon Law, you can try and file a claim against GM. If you try and do this on your own, be prepared for GM to stall you (always coming up with excuses on why they can't settle your claim). The only way I settled my claim was to hire an attorney to settle my claim and he took his fees out of the settlement amount. Bottom line, the only way to fix your problem is to get out of the vehicle. I always felt that this was GM's problem and they need to fix it, but they failed/refused to do so. I'm really disappointed about GM's failure to correct the problem. They thought by giving me an extended warranty, free of charge, that would solve the problem. I was tired of paying a car note each month to drive rental cars so my Envoy could sit in the shop. The dealership even had a difficult time to get GM to respond to them. I fortunately had a very good dealership, but they sell a defective product. I really like my Envoy, but was so frustrated with all of the problems, I actually had my own parking spot at the dealership since I was there so often. Remember to keep to all of your records so you can take legal action against GM. Good luck! Hopefully you'll be able to get enough from your settlement to cover your negative equity or give you a good down payment on a new vehicle.
  • afforteafforte Member Posts: 5
    I am having the exact same key stuck in the ignition problem, right now myself. We've had to have it towed to a dealership today. The battery went dead, we jumped it and it started, but the next day it went dead again and this symptom happened. Originally I thought it was some type of kill switch with the security system that disenabled it, because of the battery. We bought and installed a new battery and master fuse, but to no avail. It won't start, but will turn all the way toward the dash, but will not engage the starter; it actually kills the power. It will not turn backward to the auxiliary/accessory position to remove the key. Has anyone else had this problem? How is/was it corrected? How much? My wife bought this car and is totally dissatisfied, based on the constant breakdowns, problems, recalls, repairs, items not covered on the warranty and bad dealer service.
  • nanabnanab Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm new to forums (this is the first time I have ever contacted anyone so if I do something or say something wrong, please let me know) My service engine light came on a while ago, I asked onstar to run a diagnostic on it and they told me to check my gas cap, there seems to be a vapor leak. After I got home I opened the gas cap, later I restarted my 2004 XUV but the light stayed on, (I only drive back and forth to work about 9 miles a day) I thought the light would go out, did not. Then my speedometer started showing I was going 90 mph, clearly I was only about 35. the speedometer has since completely stopped. (50260 miles on it) most put on vacationing in SC and driving back to Pa. Today, I took it to a service shop they put it one their diagnostic machine and told me I have some problems, I should take it to the dealer. My vehicle is out of warranty. The solenoid is not working and my speedometer stepper motor ? is not working. Any ideas of how much this is going to cost me? Anyone else have this kind of problem?
  • halloydhalloyd Member Posts: 1
    Jillianne- Do you have, or does anyone have, the recall info on the fuel guage electrical issue @ GMC? Thanks.
    I haven't had a recall for that.
  • jilliannejillianne Member Posts: 2
    I don’t have the recall info, no......I just know that mine went out and they fixed it. Apparently they were already aware of the recall...they seemed to know exactly what was wrong with the vehicle (kinda makes me mad...the whole thing could have been avoided if they would have fixed it or let me know when GMC found out.) I have a 2006 SLT Envoy XL and I am guessing the recall was on all of those at least. I am sure if you were to call your dealership and ask them if it applies to your vehicle they should know. I am sorry I could not tell you more...I am not familiar with vehicle info...I just know the basics and what is "obvious". The signs if it happening were that my gas gauge was not accurate. When I started it one day it said I had gas, as I drove my gas gauge sunk down to empty within a min. After getting gas and filling the tank the vehicle tried to reset the gas gauge and it did not work so my check engine light came on. That’s when I knew something was really wrong.
  • dbertaindbertain Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    My 2003 Envoy jumps constantly from 4th to 5th(overdrive) at speeds mostly between 63-68 MPH (which is how fast I used to drive). My research points to the Transmission Control Module but it's confusing whether or not that unit has to be replaced completely or can be "re-programmed".

Other articles point to a servo or even a loose electrical wire.

I also notice a manual overdrive shift kit is available for purchase from the dealer and I'll resort to that if I have to. Hopefully I could install that myself.

Aamco wants me to bring it in for their free diagnostic but I haven't had good luck with them as usually they take an R&R approach until it's finally fixed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you very much.
    -Doug
  • chrisnlaurengchrisnlaureng Member Posts: 1
    I have been having a problem for about 4 months now, where you put the key in turn it, everything comes on except it won't start, starter not clicking or anything.So they said get a new battery which we did and the problem continue. And then when it did start it would idle real rough and the check engine light would come sometimes, but if you turned it off and back on, if it start it would usually run fine and the check engine light would go out. Took to the dealership again and they said there was carbon build up and it just needed some maintenance, so paid for that like $300. 2 days later it would start again. When it doesn't start the the security light does NOT blink or come one and you cant even take it out of park. So the same problems are there still. Took it in again they said it needed a new throttle body??? I said are you kidding me, keep looking. So they replaced the PCM because there was a TSB on it. The whole time we have had a case file with GM headquarters because the local dealership is horrible. Saturday it started doing it really bad, you could usually get it to start in about 10minutes or so, but now it goes hours. So I called the dealership for them to get a tow truck and come pick it up and they said sure, I stated I wanted a courtesy vehicle and they said enterprise is closed, I said 13 miles away there is one open and they continued to say no. So called GM headquarters and they spoke with the dealership, still nothing. So I paid an online service to look up the owners name, address and telephone number and called him(he owns something like 8 new dealerships in the Charleston area) he seemed he was going to be helpful and stated he could not get me a loaner car till Monday. So my wife got the car started and took it in on Monday, they started accusing her of lieing and all this other stuff and would not give her a loaner car(we have 55k miles on our car warranty only ran out at like 45k when we started having this issue) because we are outside of warranty and they want to keep the vehicle for a week or 2 because they don't know what is wrong. So we called GM headquarters again, and they said the best thing to do now is for us to contact a lawyer. Anybody who has had experiences filling a claim against GM, I would really appreciate some information.
  • prostocknovaprostocknova Member Posts: 5
    Hi Im Alisha and I have a 2004 GMC Envoy with the 4.2L In6 Beautiful Red Metallic and I love it (Most of The Time).
  • flukemasterflukemaster Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 envoy and 2 weeks ago it stalled at a light and now it stalls occasionally on the hoghway and will not start at times like it has a dead battery yet all the lights will come on. My friend ran a diagnostics check and found no fault codes and I know I am gonna get killed in this car. i am in no position to go to the dealer and they also find nothing and then charge me to replace an ignition , computer, or several other things. At this point all I have is a case at GM and I am extremely worried. Anyone else having this issue or problem?
    Rich L.
  • prostocknovaprostocknova Member Posts: 5
    Hi Rich hate to hear about this problem your having but maybe i can help ,specially since mine put me threw a few hoops a few months ago, I know on mine when it began to stall it was when i first cranked it it wouldnt hold an idle and would die now keep in mind i had just bought a new battery for it about a 2 weeks before hand so i immediantly thought something had happened again with the battery but checked it out and it was fine ,so then i thought possibly a sensor but it was weird because my check engine light wasnt on and it wasnt throwing any codes, Have you checked out your Crank or Cam Sensor those are known to be problems in these models at least for me they were and I completely understand about the dealer they'll take you to the cleaners for sure but then again most your local auto repair shops unfortunatly arent with a [non-permissible content removed] either, But i would suggest checking those sensors or you know it very well could be fuel related make sure to check out the Throttle Body and the ISC(idle speed control)motor .And this maybe a stupid question but all of your grounds are connected properly right? If you havent already double check them to be sure.

Good Luck
  • amyjones929amyjones929 Member Posts: 4
    We just bought a used 2004 Envoy and had a similar problem. The dealer would not fix it becasue we didn't purchase their extended warranty. We ended up having to replace the control module, becasue the instrument panel was going crazy, lights coming on while driving, guages not owrking, flashing "unknown driver", etc. Do you know if any other years were effected, what happened with your case?
  • wrench10wrench10 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, not sure if its too late to help any of you or not but i know how you feel. I own a 2005 Envoy SLT myself and i have had the stalling while driving problem and the not starting problem with all of the lights coming on in the dash. I will tell you what fixed both of my problems. I purchased a cam positioning sensor and replaced it. (its right on the front of the head behind the fan) that solved the stalling while driving problem. The not starting problem took an ignition switch on the underside of the steering column, both inexpensive and easy fixes, but very stressful problems!!
  • mbell033mbell033 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse:
    I am having the same problems you were having, can you tell me the dealership name and number you took your car to. I have an appointment Monday and would like to have all my ducks in a row. I find it odd and I am sure there are more situations like your vehicle and mine especially since as I read your description of what was happening and it sound like you were talking about my car. I appreciate any and all information you can give me. Please me email me at [email protected]

Thank you
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please me email me at ...

It's better to keep the discussion right here so everyone will benefit. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • angelo1949angelo1949 Member Posts: 4
    After I changed the the control module for the blower I am getting cold and hot air, does anyone has had the same problem?
  • 2004envoy2004envoy Member Posts: 1
    I have had nothing but problems with my Envoy. I purchased my truck used in December 2006 and in March 2007 all of my problems began. My airbag light came on and I took it to the dealer since I had purchased the extended warranty coverage and I needed a new computer system. In May 2007 I was driving home on the highway and my lights started to flicker on and off constantly and my car began to shut down I was able to get into the shoulder just in time before it died. I had it towed to the dealership again and this time they said the ignition switch was no good. In September 2007 I was leaving for work in the morning to find out that my car wouldn't start all the lights would come on but it just would not start. I again returned to the dealer and they said they had to put in another ignition switch. In January 2008 I returned to the dealer due to the car not starting again and needed another ignition switch. In April 2008 I returned once again for another ignition switch because it would not start the day I was leaving for a road trip. In September 2008 I had to bring it in because my 4 wheel drive trasfer case and switch had to be replaced. In January 2009 everytime I got gas it would not start so they said I need a new purge valve. Today, the car stalled again while driving. I am so frustrated with this car and GM period. I will never ever again buy an american made car because I feel they are so unreliable. In April 2008, I callled a Lemon Law Lawyer and gave them the run down and they said I qualify under the Maynard-Ferguson Law. They have been in touch with GM and I have kept them aprised of the situation and they are expecting some kind of settlement from them. If you are having tons of problems my suggestion would be to contact a lemon lawyer to see if you qualify or not and always keep all of your receipts for your backup. :lemon:
  • ldwyerldwyer Member Posts: 1
    Well it looks like I am about to sing the same old song. I bought a 2002 envoy in November and the four wheel drive light is on when it is cold,, When the light is on the four wheel drive doesn't work. But it goes off when the car has been running for a while, I shut it off and then turn it back on. But I am also having this starting problem that everybody is talking about. All of the lights go on but nothing else happens. I have never had it take more than ten minutes but I don't want to wait around and see what happens. I took the truck to the dealer I bought it from who sent it out to a GMC dealer, they had it for over two weeks, told me they were going to report the rental that they gave me stolen because I wasn't twenty five ( an entirely different fiasco) and I go to pick the car up and the light was still on! As though they didn;t even turn it on after they "fixed it" so the dealer I sent it to spent a ton of money to have the transfer case fixed at the GMC dealer and it didn't do a damn thing. But I don't have the time to go back and forth to the dealer (over and over) for this car...I am honeslty scared now for the stalling problems to start (the car only has about 65,000) miles on it. Please let us know if you get any farthur with GMC. Otherwise I'll just take a loss ( i did finance the car) and get something else.
  • mooncetmooncet Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys. Two months ago I bought a 2005 GMC Envoy XL (not SLT/no security system), 4.2 Liter, In-line 5.

A couple weeks ago the Passlock light on the instrument cluster came on. A day later, all of the lights on the instrument cluster started going on and off at random (just really going crazy), and all the gauges stopped working. This kept happening intermittently over the next couple days. I'd go a half the day with no problem, and then non-stop problems the rest of the day. Just totally random.

We took it to our mechanic who replaced the ignition switch and sent us home. It started happening again just a couple hours later. We called our mechanic, and he told us it had to be the Body Control Module.

In the meantime, we had started having problems with the power shutting down completely on the vehicle while driving it. Usually when slowing down or accelerating rapidly. This seems to happen right at the same time all instrument cluster starts going nuts.

We took the Envoy to a GMC dealer service center, replaced the Body Control Module, and had them program it. I took it off the lot, and the power shut down halfway down the road to the freeway. I took it straight back. They said they found a wire that was not properly grounded near the body control module. They said they fixed it, and sent me home again.

That evening, I left to go to the store and the exact same thing happended as before...Passlock code, crazy instrument cluster lights, engine died.

We took it back to the GM service center. They say they can't figure out what the problem is. The power actually shut down as we pulled into the garage. We showed them when we got it to start back up all the lights going on and off (flickering). They've had it all day now, and they say they can't get it to act up again to test it.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? We've now had our car in and out of shops for almost 2 weeks, and we've spent close to $1,000 fixing and replacing things that haven't solved the problem at all. We're just about out of money, and this is our only car. I would really appreciate any suggestions.

I've looked around online, and seen plenty of people complaining about the same problem, not just with Envoys either. But I can't find many that have any suggestions. The only ones I've seen with any regularity are: Ignition Switch (which we tried), Body Control Module (which we tried), and Cam Positioning Sensor (which the GMC mechanic says he doesn't think it is).

Help!!!!!

Thank you,

Mooncet

By the way, the only other thing we've noticed is that moving the middle row seat (which happens to be right above the Body Control Module) seems to make it worse. It happens even when no ones touching it, but it happens more when someone is. I pointed this out to the GMC mechanic, and he tested it out when we first brought it back this morning. He folded it forward, and wiggled it back and forth, and it caused the instrument cluster lights to fluctuate. I'm sure that this has to be part of the problem.
  • kam2002kam2002 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Envoy, the back lights stay on, even when you cut the car off. What should I do to fix this?

It drains the battery really quick! Please I need help to fix this problem, I am unemployed and have to fix it myself.

Thank you for your help in advance! :confuse:

Kathy
  • tmrut0211tmrut0211 Member Posts: 2
    My daughter has an '02 Envoy that has the MIL on. This code reflects low operating temperature. My scanner shows an operating temperature of between 174-178 degrees.
    My question is, is this considered low? If so, this would be a thermostat problem. If not, it could be a sensor problem.
    Has anyone else had this experience?
  • bigred72bigred72 Member Posts: 1
    we own a 2005 envoy slt 4x4....Have had small problems until now.. The fog lights come on after car is off...put key in the ignition and now can not get key out...lights would come on in the interior durning the evening.....drain the battery..dead ...today took battery to store to check batter..awaiting results..durning the past five years we have had to change the tires four times,parking brake broke,back led broke,check engine light still on...now car is out of warranty.The moulding around the doors just horrible...oh ya and still making payments on this P.O.S.I will never buy another GM truck,suv or car just garbage after only 5 years come on GM open your eyes...... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :lemon: :lemon:
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    bigred72,
    Have you taken your vehicle into the dealer for these problems?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • vegascaptainvegascaptain Member Posts: 3
    I bought this Envoy new in 2004 Here are the PROBLEMS I'VE HAD SO FAR:

*Front differetial - replaced...Cost $3600.00 Dealer split difference w/ me since just out of warranty, and previous complaints from me about FWD performance.
    *Transmission - went out... Just happened @ 100k miles. Cost $3000.00
    *Rear tail-lights - continuously burning out
    *Cigarette lighters - continuously burning fuses
    *Radio lights - Half of radio lights are burnt out
    *A/C - Fan blower will not work on highest (5) setting.. Cost wanted $500.00
    *Windshield washer fluid motor - burnt out. Has been for a long time. Cost wanted $500.00
    *Rearview mirror - Broke... Cost wanted $500.00.. You've gotta be kidding!

***Many other problems, but I am tired of complaning and coming upon deaf ears. Thanks for listening. I will never buy a GM vehicle again!
  • sdiffendalsdiffendal Member Posts: 1
    Were you able to determine what was causing the noise?
  • catmom682003catmom682003 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same car and same issues; transmission, differential, tail lights, interior lights, and now?

The emblems on the side are wedging against the front quarter panels and are flipping off...

I had everything fixed, by the way. The price tag now? Over 12,000.00 in repairs, not to mention the payment itself...

Never again.
  • clarkem5clarkem5 Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2005 Envoy. Recently the four wheel drive service light, the ABS light and the brake light on the dashboard came on and stayed on. Also the heater/AC fan will not work. My mechanic changed the fan motor and the resister and the fan worked for about a minute and then quit. I have an appointment to take it to the dealer tomorrow but I am afraid of what the repairs will cost since I am on a fixed income. I am also not secure in the knowledge that the repairs will solve the problem since I have had repairs by my dealer in the past that were not satisfactory. I am beginning to think that the public is being ripped off by GM.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    clarkem5,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your Envoy. Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • clarkem5clarkem5 Member Posts: 2
    It turned out that the ignition switch was bad. When it was replaced, the problems were no longer there. The problem was not the fault of GM.
  • bsarsfieldbsarsfield Member Posts: 1
    I have a clicking noise seems to be coming from behind the dash glass. Also had a dead battery. Battery was replaced, but I still have the noise. Dealer service writer was stumped as to origin of noise. Can hear it really well with key in "on" position, engine not running. You too?