Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord Owners: Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited July 2014 in Honda
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your Accord!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, I can arrange that for you. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays:
4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET

-or-

Thursdays:
5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET
6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET
7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
(The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• Options
    ripinrocketripinrocket Member Posts: 157
    Member #1

2000 Accord EX-V6 Coupe. Satin Silver

Mods:
    comptech exhuast
    AEM CAI intake
    Neuspeed strut brace
    Comptech headers-first set defective, new ones coming anyday now.
  • Options
    erik713erik713 Member Posts: 14
    Member #2!!

2001 Accord EX Coupe. San Marino Red.

No mods (only has 40 miles on it! Give me some time ;-))
  • Options
    What are your plans?
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Sounds like you need a discussion for Accessories & Modifications? You got it!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Just bought a 2001 Honda Accord LX, 4 cyl. sedan, love the car, this is my third Honda and will never buy anything else. I traded in a 1999 Honda Odyssey van with 26K miles, originally paid $23000 for the van, got $19500 for a trade-in, these Hondas sure hold their value.
  • Options
    baker16baker16 Member Posts: 45
    I own a 2000 Accord LX V6 Signet Silver sedan. It now has 18K miles on it. I bought it new in April 2000 and the only problem I've had is a nail in a tire. We're very happy with the car. This is the first Honda I've owned. I've always bought Toyota in the past. The only 'mods' I've done is installed a clear bra (xpel) and a hitch (reese).
  • Options
    baker16,

Did you install the clear bra yourself???

I had mine professionally installed but am thinking of installing one on my other car myself. What tools did you need, if so?
  • Options
    ravynravyn Member Posts: 101
    2000 accord coupe 4cyl EX auto
    nighthawk black pearl
    oem foglights and rear deck spoiler
    aem cai
    16" tr motorsport snipers
    kumho ecsta supra 712's

looking for exhaust next.. prolly apexi ws catback.

glad to have another accord forum to peruse. =)
  • Options
    welcome.
  • Options
    Yes, I installed it myself. The Accord hood is pretty flat so installation was pretty easy. All you need is a special squeegee (comes in the kit), some rubbing alcohol and a couple of empty windex type bottles. I'm very happy with it. If memory serves me I think I paid $99 for the kit.
  • Options
    I was checking out x-pel's website and they don't say that the squegee comes with the bra kit. I sent away for their video tape and got it a few days ago, still have to watch it though.
  • Options
    Video!?!? They didn't have a video when I did mine! They're taking all the challenge out of it! I remember calling them to order the kit and I was going to order a squeegee but they told me the squeegee comes with the kit along with some lint-free paper towels.
  • Options
    kaycee41kaycee41 Member Posts: 23
    I bought my first Honda four months ago, a 2001 Accord EX 6cyl coupe in nighthawk black. So far I like the car. The only thing I would do different is get a different color. The black looks great when I't clean, but it shows scratches and swirl marks soooo bad. I like to keep my car clean, but I'm not up to the task of keeping a black car perfect-looking. Otherwise no complaints. Oh, I do wish the moonroof opened all the way. I had the dealer install a rear spoiler. I'd like to get exhaust tips soon.
  • Options
    baker16,

yup, free video. Just filled out a form on their website and I got the installation video about 4 days later.
  • Options
    gtlloogtlloo Member Posts: 8
    Bought my third Honda last November a 2001 Accord V6 EX Taffeta White. Great car mechanically and electrically, although I noticed some of the quality of the paint and component alignment to be slightly inferior. Nevertheless the V6 has temendous power...just wish it came with a manual tranny....my previous Accords have had the manual tranny. White colored cars are difficult to keep clean in the city with the smog and soot but they don't show scratches or swirl marks well. That is one reason all my Hondas have been white in color. Boring color..yes but once you wash and wax it it looks fantastic. I have installed some accessories myself, pretty easy since the genuine honda accessories come with detailed instructions. Plus, you save on labor charges by doing it yourself.
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    The '01 replaced a '98 LX 4cyl automatic sedan, which was completely trouble-free, but I wanted the extra power and refinement of the V6. So far, after 4000 miles, I could not be happier about the decision. Quick, smooth, good seats, enormous trunk...the only complaint, if that is the right word, is that even with the '01 mods that made the car quieter, there is still too much road noise that creeps into the back seat. But this is a small thing compared to our overall satisfaction with the package.

John R. - Elk Grove CA
  • Options
    bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    Just bought my second Honda, a 2001 Accord EX, Naples Gold. Have a 2000 Honda CR-V and liked the product so I thought my wife would like a new car, after driving the old clunker for 12 years and 130K miles later. No problems yet, only 500 miles, but I am interested in disc brake covers to keep the dust down but have heard that it's not recommended. Anybody install them and any adverse effects?
  • Options
    diegomandiegoman Member Posts: 6
    2001 Accord EXL-V6 in silver with a spoiler. I love it so far! The 6-disc in-dash changer is incredible too.
  • Options
    mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    Hi, 2001 Accord EX V-6 Sedan. Firepepper red with ivory leather. Just turned 400 mi. today.
  • Options
    I strongly recommend against these things. They run the very high risk of eventually causing the rotors to warp, and will likely void your warranty for some brake components.

Further, it is my all-too-extensive experience that compared to just about anything else on the road [especially the Germans], these cars produce very little brake dust. Plain old water and a dedicated set of old towels will solve this problem with no expense and no damage to the car. Beware of the dust covers...
  • Options
    Welcome to all.
  • Options
    bruinhornbruinhorn Member Posts: 11
    Green 2001 EX V6 sedan with 7.4k miles since Oct 2k. Generally, very happy with the car but wish the transmission were a lot smoother and better insulation to cut down on the wind noise. Our 1999 Camry le V6 has us spoiled in this regard.

Changed the oil once at 3k and the dealer put 5W30 in it. I will take it back for an oil change at 7.5k and insist on 5W20 as per manual. Anyone have any suggestions as to which oil is better for summer driving in Texas where the average ambient temperature is close to 100*F.
  • Options
    Bruin: I ignore the 5w20 recommendation in our Central Valley [CA] climate which is as hot or hotter than yours, and go with Castrol Syntec synthetic with a 5w50 viscosity index. Our local Honda dealer endorses this choice enthusiastically; I bring the oil with me to the dealer for the changes, and they happily credit me for the oil they would otherwise use. My last oil change cost less than $16 from the dealer for labor, filter, tax, and disposal fee. Of course, the oil costs between $3.0 and $4 a quart, depending on where you find it, so the total cost of the change was about $35. Well worth it to me when the temps get as consistently above 95* as they do around here [and around your neck of the woods]; in the winter, this stuff is at least as effective as the 5w20.

The 5w20 factory recommedation is all about maxing the fuel economy numbers in the EPA test...nothing more. The Syntec is just as slippery for fuel economy, and a whole lot better when the temperatures really get up there.
  • Options
    michaelm11michaelm11 Member Posts: 4
    1998 black currant pearl accord EX-V6 coupe certified with 33,000 mile on it for $16,900.
  • Options
    dcfelladcfella Member Posts: 31
    I've got a '01 black ex v6 coupe. I've only done minor changes, such as adding a 3 piece midwing, xenons, chrome tips, tints. where's a good place to find some engine mods online?
  • Options
    bruinhornbruinhorn Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the quick response.

Another question: What is your take on using 0W30 Mobil1? I would imagine that with a 0 rating we should get better engine lubrication for cold starts and maybe better gas mileage also. I am a little hesitant to try this weight on any of my cars because I have not seen any posts on this particular oil weight.
  • Options
    check out accordclub.com and honda-tech.com

dunno if you're familiar with them or not, but they're more posting boards, and people there have a lot of good ideas, not to mention they have different banner ads all the time of import mod places.
  • Options
    MobilOne in the 0w30 would be a great choice for colder climates, or winter in your area. Would certainly be better than conventional 5w20 all year around.

Just about any synthetic is going to be better in temperature extremes, even at the same nominal viscosity level, than conventional oil. Mobil does a lot a marketing, and spends the most on advertising, so they tend to be the first on anybody's list, but I prefer Syntec. Any synthetic will do...shop by price, if you want. The discount stores often have it on sale.
  • Options
    check out http://www.superhonda.com

Go to the V6 Accord message boards. They got some great info and links to retail shops that sell parts.

otherwise www.autocarparts.com has good prices for aftermarket goodies. also try www.p-tuning.com

• Options
    pblevinepblevine Member Posts: 858
    Honda Accord '98 EX V6 Emerald Green - Now a daily commuter.
  • Options
    bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    To all that are interested. If you don't know, Honda uses a special motor oil from the factory that helps the engine "break in." Being a mechanic and always telling people to change there oil at or around 500 miles for the first time, on domestic cars and trucks, this should not be done with a Honda. Wait until the recommended mileage for the first time. I will probably do mine at or around 3,500 miles. F.Y.I.
  • Options
    black01coupev6black01coupev6 Member Posts: 195
    2001 Nighthawk Black Pearl EX-V6 Coupe. 13,000 miles since October 3rd.

17" Konig Tantrums
    Factory chrome exhaust tips

That's probably all I will do except for tinting the windows. It's hovering in the mid-80's here in Atlanta and the charcoal interior isn't much fun on a hot day.

I love the car. It drives great, has good power, and turns a pretty good number of heads for such a ubiquitous car.. Maybe it's just 'cause I am so darn cute ;)

I love Hondas.
  • Options
    gnolamgnolam Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Nighthawk Black Coupe EX V6. I am currently at 14,800 miles so it's time to take her in for her 15,000 mile maintence.

I have not experienced any of the transmission issues, but I did have a rattling moonroof cover which was fixed under warranty. Also my front factory tint is coming off which I also hope to fix under warranty.
  • Options
    rapriderraprider Member Posts: 42
    '00 satin silver exv6
    10 months, 8k miles, all smilin' :)
    dealer add-ons:
    inside-wood dash kit
    outside-spoiler, fog lamps, chrome tips, sunroof visor, and bodyside molding kit, which gets lots o' comps :)

i also added the window molding from macneilauto.com

starting to pick up the od scratch, thinking about a 1/2 pra, or the hood molding from macneil, or the clear xpel. any suggs?

raprider
  • Options
    raprider,

I would suggest the Xpel clear bra or clearmask clear bra. both are basically identical, although I think the X-pel is a little cheaper. I have one on my car. Had it installed professionally. I'm very happy with it. Much better than a bra.
  • Options
    adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    2000 EX V6 Coupe Nighthawk Black/Charcoal Grey.

Purchased: May 11th 2000
    Sold: July 27th 2000

6900 miles

mods: AEM CAI, H&R Sport Springs, Hyper White lights, SS Honda exhaust tips.

dcfella: are you from the DC area? I'm around there too.
  • Options
    dcfelladcfella Member Posts: 31
    I'm right next to silver spring, in the heart of the DC area. Where did you get all your parts from?
  • Options
    there's a place in tyson's called "vertex" that seemed to have decent prices on their stuff. got my aem cai for $199 + tax. (cheapest i'd found online was 189 + shipping which was expensive)

i'd love to find more shops though.
  • Options
    vtec8vtec8 Member Posts: 6
    Got a '98 EXV6 Coupe. I bought new in July of '98 after trying to find one for 3 months. Dark Emerald Pearl. 42,000 miles. No mods. No major mechanical problems. Transmission works fine. Check engine light comes on from time to time, but we know what's happening and are waiting on a fix from Honda. I did have to have the car repainted, though. At Honda's expense.
    Love the car.
  • Options
    what was the issue, and how long did it take before you got honda to repaint it? the president of honda should've received my letter by now. just curious.

you can email me at dzigner@hotmail.com
  • Options
    billiam70billiam70 Member Posts: 54
    2001 Nighthawk Black Pearl EX V6 Coupe. Bought in March.

Chrome Exhaust tips
    Mudguards
    Sunroof Visor

Love the car! Previously owned a 92 Acura Integra that was great!! The more mileage that car had on it the better it ran. Sold it to lease a Ford. What was I thinking?!?!? So glad to be back in a Honda!
  • Options
    adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    Never ever get anything installed there. I have heard from a couple of people that they can keep their prices low because they get your address when you pay with credit card and then come and steal your stuff back. It hasn't happened to me, so I'm not sure how true that is. Anyways, there are a lot of other places around here. AutoThority ($$$), CDE Motorsports (idiots), and some other smaller shops.

I'm in Herndon, VA. Right outside of DC about 15 miles.

- Anthony
  • Options
    Hi ravyn-
    I had some marks on the hood, top and right side of the car that looked like something had gotten "splashed" on it. Tiny little streaks about a quarter of an inch long at the longest. They had "eaten" into the paint all the way down to the primer. I could feel them with my fingernail. I took it to my dealer and he had the area re take a look at it and without any questions he said to get it re-painted. It took about a month or so. Honda paid for the whole deal including a rental car. At the time the car was just out of warranty. The repaint is probably much better than the original. The shop that did it removed everything from the car, completely stripped it and re-primed it. The paint looks great. And it does NOT look like a re-paint. All in all, I can't complain at all about the way the whole thing was handled.
  • Options
    Purchased new in May, now has 1700 miles, Silver 4 dr. Great car but some minor issues. Driver side windshield wiper defective (streaks) and a support piece for the dashboard under the steering wheel fell off and hit me on the leg. No big deal but disappointing from Honda. Also purchased 01 Acura TL and had many problems, now all fixed. Accord is definitely a better value.
  • Options
    seems like you were shown the great customer service that honda claims it has. adg44 and i have been/are being dragged through the dirt. ;P was it repainted by the dealership? that's one thing i'm leary of.. taking it to them, and having a crap job done just because they're being told to do it, without getting commission from it.

update: i got a call from the main honda office on friday, and i should be hearing from someone this week with regards to the paint on my car. fingers crossed, i'm hoping they won't fight me anymore and just repaint the damn thing!

anthony: actually heard from a random person in the area (stopped him to ask about HIS car) more bad feedback about vertex. kinda wierd. they were advertising on the multiplex movie previews before fast & the furious too. i actually went over to car trenz in fairfax. average prices, from what i can tell, though a little on the high side.
  • Options
    rurounirurouni Member Posts: 6
    Just purchased it after 2 weeks of searching for a manual one! Can you believe there's at max 10 EX-L manuals in entire Illinois!! Got a dark emerald pearl for $300 over invoice, a little bit more than I wanted to pay but I want a 5spd really bad.
  • Options
    Hi ravyn and adg44-
    FYI I am new to this forum. However I have been looking at it for quite some time and have seen the horror stories in regards to some of the problems you guys(ladies?) have had. I'm sure it's been a tough road. But I have to say that at least in my case I can't complain at all about how Honda treated me. This is Honda number 6 (or 7?) and I wouldn't bat an eye about buying another. In regards to the paint job, no the dealer did not do the job. They subbed it out to a paint shop here in town. I definitely expressed my concerns about the job I was afraid I would get. The service manager and the service writer both told me I wouldn't be sorry. So far, they were right.
    Sorry you're having all the problems. Let me know how it all turns out.
    Rick-
  • Options
    mndesertratmndesertrat Member Posts: 1
    I would like an opinion from other Accord owners. I am close to buying a new accord sedan. I want to get the EX /leather. ( would like the EX No/leather w/V6 if they offered it.) Here is my question. I can't decide if I should go with the 4cyl auto. or the 6cyl auto. Fuel economy aside, does the 4 cyl have enough guts to merge onto the freeway? My thinking is if the 4 has enough power why opt' for the v6. Anyone want to weigh in? sarcastic remarks welcome but true opinions are appreciated.
  • Options
    truck96truck96 Member Posts: 22
    I just bought a 2001 accord ex 4cyl with automatic, only 500 miles so far but it has plenty of power for me,especially at the 40 to 70mph range you will have to drive one and see for yourself.
    I opted for the 4cyl for gas mileage and more room under the hood, and being cheaper helped some tooo.
  • Options
    I've owned both, and wound up with an '01 EX V6 because I wanted both the extra power and extra quiet and refinement that came with the 6. However, no one choosing the 4 for any of the usual reasons [purchase price, fuel consumption] would get any argument from me. In the Accord, it is really a matter of how much $ you want to spend, rather than feeling really deprived if you choose the 4. Now the current generation Camry is another matter: the 4 in that car is just too anemic for my taste...smooth and quiet, but seriously lacking power, especially at any altitude at all. I don't feel that strongly about the difference between the 4 and 6 in the Accord.
This discussion has been closed.