Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Accessories

Comments

• gregoryc1gregoryc1 Member Posts: 764
    We have a 2003, 4 cylinder automatic Accord. We have driven it all over the east coast, and it has plenty of power. As far as I am concerned, there is no need for a V6 engine in this vehicle. The "4" has plenty of power for passing. Just give it "high quality maintenance" and you should be "ok"! I would suggest that you purchase an extended warranty if you plan to keep the vehicle beyond 3 years or 36,000 miles.(If it is a lease vehicle, once you pass the 3 years / 36,000 miles you no long have a warranty, which means that YOU are responsible for all repairs. This could be a "BIG PROBLEM" is something major occurs). Our Accord is only 23 months old and it has 43,000 miles on the clock, but we have a 7 year 100,000 Honda warranty on the vehicle. At the time of purchase, the cost of the warranty was $875.00. A transmission repair today could run between $3,000 & $6,000 dollars. We plan on running this vehicle for 100,000 miles. During that time we expect to get the purchase price of the warrany back in repairs. An alternator, starter or a water pump would be half the cost of the warranty. We also have all our preventive maintenance service done at the selling dealer, to keep our records all in one place should an "issue" arise.
  • accordedaccorded Member Posts: 5
    I'm a guy with a 2004 V6. I love the car --smooth and powerful. The V6 shines on highway driving in passing situations -- especially on hills. If most of your driving is in the city, the I-4 will be more than adequate with about 10% better fuel economy. If you go by hormones, testosterone will get the V6 and estrogen will get the I-4. Either one is a great choice.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Madeline - I'm in Boston as well. The I-4 is more than adequate for normal city and 93/128/95 driving.

As for the paint/fabric protection - skip it. It is pretty much wax and Scotch-Guard. What you pay for is the warranty. You can do that yourself.

Good Luck.
  • hmurphyhmurphy Member Posts: 278
    For what it's worth, a lot of guys have the same questions as you. And a lot of girls know quite a bit about cars. You have legitimate questions that have nothing to do with your gender.
  • dust90dust90 Member Posts: 169
    Go test drive the 4 cyl. I think you will find it more than adequate.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    I just found my new Honda Accord LX 05 does not have a ceiling cover for the trunk. I can see all the wires and joints, it looks very ulgy. The Accord EX in the Show Room of the dealer have that one which makes it better. I thought that should be the standard configuration like tires. Do you guys have the cover in the ceiling floor of the trunk.

It's one of the differences between the LX and EX.

This also means it's available as a spare part. Or you can go to an automotive upholstery shop and they can install whatever you want. Or you could go to a place like Joanna fabrics, buy some foam-backed material for about $10 per yard, cut a template out of paper, and make your own. 3M makes a spray-on contact adhesive. I'd make it in pieces to facilitate fitting.

Madeline, I live in Boston and have the V6 but travel a lot in the mountains and with a load. The V6 is quieter at speed, may last longer if worked hard, and gets good mileage. But it's an expensive upgrade.

The I4 is plenty adequate for most uses and a smaller engine uses lss fuel idling at stoplights. The vast majority of Accords are 4 cylinders. Some people remove the V6 sticker so it looks like a 4 cylinder to the constablery....

• ktnrktnr Member Posts: 255
    Why try a make a liner when you could just order the Honda part you're looking to add?

The LX-V6 is not an expensive upgrade compared to the EX model.

The "V6" badge on 7th gen Accords is not a sticker and is not easily removed. You think cops will see an unbadged Accord with two exhaust pipes and figure it's a 4-cylinder? Law enforcement officers are not usually dumb. Personally, I've never seen an Accord with two exhaust pipes but no "V6" badge - not that a small few might not exist somewhere.
  • zitchzitch Member Posts: 55
    Well, the Mazda 6 4-cylinder has two exhaust pipes. If it wasn't for the v6 badge, it's hard to tell how many pistons it's firing from the outside. The real question is, why would it matter to law enforcement anyways whether you have 4 or 6 cylinders under the hood? :)

You can still hit speeds in excess of 100 MPH in the 4 cylinder on public roads. May take you a few more seconds to get there, but you'll get there quickly enough... And 100 MPH is far above the speed limits in every public road I know of in the U.S..
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    madeline,

Save your $299. Those paint and upholstery treatments are an unnecessary ripoff.
  • dcpdcp Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone tried to wire their iPod directly into their factory installed radio? I know there are a number of options out there, but I'm looking for something that will not only power my iPod, but allow the CD controllers to operate the iPod as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
  • abpelch1abpelch1 Member Posts: 48
    Here are some links to instructions on how people have installed iPod's in their Accords:

http://www.distantcreations.com/accordipod/

http://home.pacbell.net/vsim/
  • antdawg80antdawg80 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, This is my first post of what I hope to be many. I have a quick question regarding my radio syster in my 03' Accord. I was told that it was possible to get an AUX port to play sound from a different media device such as that of a portable DVD player or a musical device like an IPod. I was curious if anyone could help me and tell me how I would go about doing this.
  • abpelch1abpelch1 Member Posts: 48
    Click on one of the links in my last post (1353). There you will find detailed instructions, with pictures, on how to install an iPod using an AUX adapter in your Accord.

There are 2 different adapters you can purchase. The more popular is the SNHOND3 adapter made by SoundGate. The other can be purchased at Autotoys.com.

These can be used as an auxiliary input interface to input the audio from an iPod, MP3, satellite radio, or from any other RCA-type device.
  • gatrhumpygatrhumpy Member Posts: 126
    I have a 2004 Honda Accord Sedan EX V6. I hate the coin pocket that I currently have. I like the 2005 design better. The 2005 design has push-button access, instead of manually lifting the coin holder doors (along with the cigarette lighter adapter door). Does anyone have any info on where I can get the 2005 design and how much it costs? What about the part number?
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i guess i'd try here:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/
    I just added some neat things for my 2004 Accord. I posted these images using Imagestation. You can sign up for a free membership, if you don't already have one. You can see pictures of them here:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2131131082

The first modification I made was to add some chrome Accord door sill trim to each of the four doors. I think they look nice. They came with double sided tape and just stuck on the plastic trim that came with the car. I bought these from a guy in Hong Kong off of eBay. They cost me a total of $50 for all four door sills.

The second modification I made was to replace the front door lights (which the pictures don't show) with blue LED lights that again, I bought off a guy on eBay. They cost me $13.99 for two lights.
  • slawendaslawenda Member Posts: 101
    Does anyone know if the non-illuminated steering wheel buttons on an '04 can be replaced with the illuminated '05 buttons? I have an '04 EX-V6 with Navigation, and the illuminated '05 buttons are very nice. I imagine it's probably not a simple thing to do, and even if it was, the dealer would probably be reluctant to do it, or would charge an arm and a leg? Anyone know?
    I have been following a similar thread on Acurazine for the 2005 TSX. A lot of people have talked about doing it, and one person is actually trying to go through with the modification. I think he paid about $111 in parts for the switch assembly. I'll guess we'll see if this works. I was interested in doing this also, along with the push button "This is not an ashtray" coin pocket from the 2005 Honda Accord below the large center console pocket.

You may want to try to see if the dealer will do this for you, but I'm sure it will be over $200-$300 to do this. I tried to get that center plastic trim that replaces the large center console pocket in front of the gear shifter(to place a DVD player in there), and the parts alone cost $72 at my local dealership. Granted, I can get them for about $62 online, but even that is still expensive.
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    Here's a cheap fix: about $12.00 and 30 handyman minutes.

Shattered foglight lens on 03 Accord coupe. Bought clear acrylic sheet and "aquarium seal" at Home Depot (windows and doors section) for $12.00. Removed foglight assembly and traced lens shape on acrylic sheet with marker pen. Cut and trimmed material to size with medium-duty scissors (easier than it sounds). Waterproofed edges with aquarium seal and reinstalled.

Cost-effective repair IMO; expensive OEM replacement will shatter again anyway.
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    Badges and emblems are easy to remove. Just use a hair dryer or a heat gun on low setting. They pull off easily and if any glue remains, a little solvent or WD40 gets that off in a snap. I've debadge most every car I've owned.

My Accord

http://www.pbase.com/pdqgp/image/34018755

Wifes Old Alero

http://upload.pbase.com/image/3465467

My Previous Ride:

http://www.pbase.com/image/7000710

I even re-badged my GTP :)

Front

http://www.pbase.com/image/3465465

Side

http://www.pbase.com/image/39716713
  • teknotekno Member Posts: 2
    my car is just a one owner 1995 EX 4 dr, 4 cyl, 5 sp in superb condition, the first 3 things I plan to do to it are a short ram intake, a short shifter, and moderately lowered springs (probably the .75" neuspeeds). being relatively new to building asian imports but feeling I have a superb platform to satrt from I am going to take the same approach I always did with my BMWs, basic breathing things and basic suspension things first, and then serious brake and suspension tweaking.
  • san antoniosan antonio Member Posts: 1
    Any ideas for customization? Not performance but cosmetic. just want to look unique. $ don't matter. help please! factory is so boring. where do i begin to look?
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    I would like to upgrade the mufflers on a 2005 Accord Coupe 6-speed V6 with something that is louder and better sound. Addtiuonal horsepower would be a side benefit. I would like to keep the muffler tips about the same size. Greddy makes a nice muffler system for about $1049 but the tips are huge 115 mm ( about 4 1/2 inches).

Has anyone rep\laced mufflers ?

Thanks,

MidCow
  • batmansacurabatmansacura Member Posts: 2
    how did the hook up go with the navi dvd stereo set up? I have an 05 and I wanted to put a dvd up to it and tvs in the headrest. as well as hook an aftermarket amp to replace the factory amp. What did you exactly have to do with the dvd and the radio. email me at geraldfoster@comcast.net
  • ktnrktnr Member Posts: 255
    There is no such thing as "louder and better sound" from a car. Trust me - nobody wants to hear you drive by, especially not at midnight.

If you want greater attention as you drive, I'd suggest a neon lighting kit under you car. After all, what's the point of getting so many unseen people to notice you with noise if you can't see them cringing anyway?

Alternatively, if it's not attention but a more pleasing engine sound that you're after, then why not try an audio CD of Ferrari V-12?
    I wnat the louder better sound. Maybe you don't to each his own.

Do you have any objective comments on mufflers and exhaust systems? Does the added horsepower affect the mpg. Is htere any effect besides maybe 5-10 Hp increase gained by reducing the backpressure ?

I am not necessarly taling about a Apex or 5-Zigen exhaust that sets off car alarms but something with moderately pleasing sound to the driver if no one else.

Don't like the neon lights or internal mood lights at all!

Yes, a real Ferrari V-12 is awesome, but even its maintenance is out of my price range.

Not everyone wants a milktoast exhaust sound. Maybe it reflects back to the cars I had in the miscle car heyday :)

Have a great day,

MidCow
  • atef2katef2k Member Posts: 3
    Hi Guys,
    I just got my new Honda Accord 2004 today (Old stock clearing), and I found my self with a clean options free car, and no where to buy accessories, I need to buy all the available options for my car and willing to pay whatever,
    the problem is that I live in the gulf (UAE) and we don't have accessories for my car here.
    so my request is does anybody know of an online shopping website that can ship internationaly and accept international Credit Cards?
    Thanks in advance...
    I'm realy surprised because even though there's huge traffic on this thread, nobody replied to my message! So what happened to you guys?
    As far as the audio/video portion goes, a lot of information will follow. Try to keep up.

The first thing that I did was to buy the video converter from www.avelectronic.com. When I bought it a year ago it cost $525. It has two a/v inputs and outputs. I also like it because it has a TV tuner, which I don't use. It's a plug-and-play video converter, and will allow you to hook up a DVD player so that you can watch videos on your navigation screen. As a warning, the unit won't power on by itself. You have to use the supplied remote control to turn on the unit. I also made a device that acts as a simple barrier so that I can't see the screen while my wife is watching a movie. This thing was a pain to install at first, but once I knew where all the bolts are and everything, then it was simple. I know how to take apart the back seat and can do it in 1 minute flat. The take apart the bottom cushion, there is a hexagonal shaped screw in between the back cushion and the bottom cushion, on the right hand side (looking torwards the rear), about a third of the way over. After you remove that screw, pull up on the seat. If it's stuck, then pull out on the seat retainers, which are about 1/4 of the way over from each door (there are two), where the bottom cushion meets the carpet. Take out the right side cushion (looking rear). You do that by taking out the hexagonal shaped screw torwards the bottom, near the side, facing the door. Just pull up on the cushion to find it. After you take that out, route your own a/v RCA cables (for future use), remote control eye, and FM modulator (for sound. If you don't want to use this, don't. I can tell you how to get better sound), and power wires.

I had someone hook this thing up for me, but he hooked it up on the cigarette lighter that is in the center storage space console. Two wires are all that's needed. If you need more detail, then I can give it to you.

I bought the Audiobahn AVDVD1P DVD player from Circuit City (or eBay) because it's the best one out there in my opinion. I mounted it underneath the navigation displayed (where the large pocket is). It also plays mp3s, which I like.

I also bought the Blitzsafe/SNHOND3 adapter for sound. It works with the XM radion in our cars, and allows you to have an AUX input (red and white RCA inputs). I used the red and white outputs from my DVD player for the AUX input. Therefore, I can hear sound from either a DVD or an mp3 disc.

I also have an amp and sub, but I did not install those myself.

The last thing that I did was to add some blue neon lights underneath the light to light the feet of the driver and front passenger. I think it looks pretty good. I also got some blue LED lights on eBay to replace the door lights. They look cool at night!

I plan on adding a rear-view camera in the future.
    Try the link at the top of the page for handa. Accepting international credit cards shouldn't be an issue - but shipping may be. It's a hassle to do the paperwork.

There aren't any outlets for accessories in the Gulf region?
    No man, they don't have any accessories here for a specific car, you only get the universal crap, and the dealer doesn't import accessories, they say it doesn't sell because people are happy with the cheap universal crap, and people here have lots of money that they always buy the full option cars, and if they need further modification they send the car to japan, get modified and bring it back, and if they're not happy with what's been done, they sell the car and buy a new one and start all over!
    I'll try that site but it looks so complicated because they sell the original parts so I need to know the exact part number I'm buying, when I looked for accessories it told me not available...
    Thanks for replying mate..

Edited: Look what i found on the policy of that site:
    We are not able to export any of the items. Honda restricts the export of any US market parts and accessories.
    We are only able to ship to the 50 United States.

this statment I always see on all the sites around...
  • tiger956tiger956 Member Posts: 1
    yes i changed my exaust the day i got my 2005 V6 6 speed with borla exaust mufflers and i had the shop custom make a cat back exaust system and it came to $300 installed with stainless steel tips about the same size as the original ones and it sounds absolutely wonderful
    tiger956,

I am considering Borla also. I am trying to find out if the exhaust listed for the 2004 Honda Accord V6 will also apply to the 2005. Did you also look at Greddy and Comptech? If so what are your opinions of them and what made you choose Borla ?

Did you also add a Cold Air Intake ?

Thanks,

MidCow
  • accordcanadaaccordcanada Member Posts: 5
    I am buying a 2005 Accord LX this week.

1. the dealer has asked me to buy the protection package. I saw a few post about this and some said it's a rip off. Any more opinions?

2. the LX doesn't come with a ceiling cover for the trunk. Is this true? Is it worth it to buy from the dealer?

3. I am interested in getting the metal trim kit, but I find it is too expensive buying from the dealer. Any ideas?

4. How easy is it to get the outdoor temp. gauge installed?
    Thanks alot!
    1. Don't get the protection package. Hondas have quality paint and protection already. I did not get the protection package or extended warranty.

2. It is not easy to add if possible at all. It is a feature of EX and is not sold as an option. I would not worry about not having it.

3. Don't buy from dealer. Buy from H and A Accessories search on "Handa" over the Internet total retail is about $420 including center trim you save about $110.

4. That might be one for the dealer to do! You have to install control box , sensor unit and run wiring from engine to passenger compartment. It canot be installed if you also install fog lights. Installation instructions are online and you can judge for yourself. Handa has it for $91.20

Good Luck,

MidCow
  • 2004ha2004ha Member Posts: 1
    Hey gatrhumpy - I need some help installing the Blitzsafe part for the Accord w/ Navi. I'm installing it so that I can hook up my iPod to the car stereo. I just got the Blitzsafe piece in the mail, but once I got out the ash tray and the cubby box, I got stuck from there. I can't seem to figure out how to get to the back of the radio where the blitzsafe plugs in. Do you have any photos or suggestions on how to do this? Thanks for the help!
    It is very nice the tips are only slightly larger than stock. There is a nice mellow rumble when you step on the gas and louder one at WOT. However, cruising on the highway is very quiet. All stainless steel very high quality.

Borla part no 140080 fits all V6 generation 7 (2003-2005) Honda Accord Coupes (AT or MT).

BEST COST $617 INCLUDING SHIPPING.

Thanks,

MidCow
  • johnnypicjohnnypic Member Posts: 11
    I just got a 2005 Accord EXL with nav and I was about to go up 2 sizes with my tires and rims. Looking at some 18 inch wheels. Do you know if you would also have to have new shocks and springs and or a camber adjsutment as well?

Thanks
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    No need for new shocks, springs and camber adjustment kit if you're not lowering. If you are, in addition to the lowering springs it's advisable to install the matching dampers and camber kit to maximize what you'll pay for labor.

Additional suggestion is to make sure wheel offset is between +48 to +55 (stock spec) to avoid fender rub or worse, increasing negative camber, a remedy for wrong offset wheels that results in greatly reduced tire life.

Lastly, if you can manage it, get low-weight rims (17 lbs/rim or lighter) to minimize premature suspension wear and to keep the car's original handling characteristics.
  • mitkomitko Member Posts: 11
    My car is a silver Accord LX V6 2003 coupe. I instal on the car Honda alloy wheels, wheel locks, leather shift knob, rear view mirror with compass, cargo net, splash guards, door edge guards, body side molding, S/S license plate frame with logo "Accord", interior trim kit silver, back-up sensors, also I bought a custom made ultraguard car cover because I have no garage.
    I love my car:-)
    Mitko,

You car sounds nice. Tell me more about the back-up sensors ?

Thanks,

MidCow
  • mitkomitko Member Posts: 11
    I bougth the sensors from eBay for $99, you can check also www.carsensors.com. It's working very well, expecialy if you live in big city
  • bamaflumbamaflum Member Posts: 39
    Hypothetically, could you install an 2004 Integra engine in an older model Accord (1990)? I was just curious. Don't ask me why, just one of those, "I wonder if you could do this" thoughts that popped in my head. The only reason I thought it was a viable question is that the 1990 Accord had a 2.2L rated at 125 HP while the Integra has a 2.0L at 160-210 HP. I guess you would have to modify the drive train to handle the added power. Okay, I'm rambling.
  • highrollerhighroller Member Posts: 351
    Does anyone know if using a different spark plug from the manual's recommendation would be okay? My manual recommends NGK or Denso, but i've been using the Bosch platinum spark plugs. Can someone please comment or have any response to this?
    I doubt the use of Bosch would be an issue. Denso and NGK are probably OEM. As long as the Bosch meets operating specs, it should be fine.
  • highrollerhighroller Member Posts: 351
    Thanks for the tip robr2. Does anyone with experience or know a little about a 1997 accord SE 4-cylinder 2dr coupe, know where the fuel filter located? Thanks in advance.
  • hvan47hvan47 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2005 honda accord with touch screen navigation system.
    I am looking for how to route DVD vedio player to the navigation screen. Any idea. Thanks
  • caser85caser85 Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking about tinting the windows on my 2003 Accord EX Sedan. The color is charcoal gray. What do you guys recommend for the level of tint? In Florida, we can go up to 28% for the front windows, and 15% on the rest.

Can somebody send me pictures or post some of their charcoal gray car with tint and what levels you used? Also, where did you have it done? My email is caseym "at" gmail.com.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.