Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Accessories

Comments

• briansbluetoybriansbluetoy Member Posts: 50
    kendrid,

Nice system and excellent bargain hunting.

What was the install cost at Tweeter? Did you have them do anything else other than the front spkrs?

Thanks for your info it is very valuable to us.
  • kendridkendrid Member Posts: 97
    Tweeter's install cost is:

$75 for component speakers
    $45 if you want new wire run

Circuit City and Best Buy also wanted $75. The guy at tweeter was installing LCD screens into a new Tahoe when I was there. The BB and CC guys wanted to cut my doors. I'd rather give my money to the 'professional'.

It is a bit pricey, but they did a good job and I don't have to mess with it anymore.

They only did my front speakers. The rear 6x9s take about 15 minutes to do.
    Their amp installation cost is $65, plus wiring ($35). That is VERY cheap. Circuit City wants $200 as they 'require' an overprice wiring kit.

My Alpine headunit is putting out enough power to easily drive the speakers. MB Quart are very inefficient, but the new higher end Alpine head units actually put out some real power. It isn't the same as a dedicated amp, but it sounds great to me.
  • f1monkeyf1monkey Member Posts: 13
    Where did they end putting the tweeters? Did they alter the grille if they were put back into the dash? I just pulled mine off to take a look and see what was there to work with. I also found the tweeter crossover while taking it apart. A little 3.3 micro farad capacator soldered to the tweeter, high quality stuff. :-)

-Kyle
    That is one *nice* crossover they supply :)

The tweeter is in the original location. I do know how how they attached it to the grill since I have not popped the cover off since the install.
  • lelandhendrixlelandhendrix Member Posts: 240
    what do you think is a "good" crossover?

If it passes high frequencies cleanly and/or shunts the lows to ground at the right crossover point, then the less parts the better.
  • barryssbarryss Member Posts: 41
    Even though I've only had my Accord for a few weeks, it's been very very good. It's getting a set of splash guards and chrome exhaust trim. It asked for a new spoiler, but Dad's a bit broke this year.

Barry S.
  • dust90dust90 Member Posts: 169
    I think I'll get mine the auto-dimming mirror!
  • ken972ken972 Member Posts: 162
    The auto dimming mirror is an awesome choice. Ive have mine on for a few weeks now. Dont want to go without one ever again. I have splash guards, fog lights and another favorite..the trunk tray on it as well. Its the 04 EXV6. Ive been thinking of the chrome exhaust tips. But waiting to see what they look like with graphite pearl. Ive only seen them on red cars.
  • blaketagblaketag Member Posts: 24
    I'm a few months away from my lease ending on a BMW 330i. I've loved the Bimmer, but for many reasons need to downgrade in price on the next vehicle. I've owned several Acuras/Hondas before and had a great experience with all of them. One of the options I'm considering is a 2004 EX-L Accord Sedan w/5 sp. MT. Would love the get an EX V6, but want a MT and the Coupe won't work for our family. Are there any recommended upgrades to improve the Accord Sedan's handling capabilities to bring it closer to what I've grown used to in the BMW? I imagine upgrading to 17" Honda OEM rims w/Michelin Pilots would be a good start. Anything else? Spring upgrades, perhaps? I'm also going to take a hard look at the TSX, and maybe the 04 TL (not sure I want to go over $30K, however). TIA for any avice!

Tom
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    My 04 EX-L Accord is getting the front chin spoiler for Christmas. It already has fog lights, splash guards, decklid spoiler, and fenderwell trim so the front spoiler is next to last on my list. After the spoiler we will take it for a weekend trip to Florida to have the windows tinted.

The Accord would probably take very well to some more performance-oriented tires. Not sure if the wheel upgrade is necessary but it couldn't hurt.
    I have owned one E30 and three E36 BMW's and I know what you mean about the handling and driving feel. I have the 6 speed coupe and it is the only new Accord to come with the 17" wheels and 'sport' suspension, and it is as close to BMW driving feel as anything I have ever driven. So, you could add the 17" wheels and sport springs to bring the sedan handling up to what you are used to. Too bad you have to have the sedan, the 6 speed coupe is awsome!
  • jebinc1jebinc1 Member Posts: 198
    04 Day/Night mirror........
    Hey, I posted a couple weeks ago regarding the 04 mirror. I remember you running into the problem with the 03 installed on an 04. The 04 works great. Its on all the time though..doesnt turn on and off with the lights as I think the 03 did.
    Really <doesn't turn off>? Where did you get yours from? Mine was ordered from HandA.... I look forward to having a working mirror again. The mirror worked great in the 03 but the 03 car didn't work great. Now the 04 car works great and I had to wait for an 04 mirror that works! Do you know what's different about the 04 mirror? Did they just re pin the connectors? What's different with the installation?

Thanks for the tips and Happy Holidays!
    Hey, I ordered the mirror from HandA and had my dealer install it. Im not sure whats the difference is between the 03 and 04 version. Im guessing it was repinned or hooked up a little different. HandA has the instructions for both years. I havent read them to figure out how they fixed it for 04. But mine doesnt turn off. It comes on by itself when you start the car. You can turn both the compass and mirror off using switches on either side of the mirror...but it will come on when the car is started. Maybe thats one of the areas they had to change for 04. I havent heard from anyone else who has the mirror for 04.
    I'll let you know how my installation goes. I plan to do it myself again right after Christmas.

Thanks!
    I just came across this nicely done tutorial on installing an iPod in an '04 Accord.

http://www.distantcreations.com/accordipod/

It looks like a nice clean install, but you have to be willing to disconnect the XM radio from the only aux input on the head unit. Since I like my XM, I'm going to try to do a similar install with an A/B switch, so I can use both XM and my iPod.

Barry S.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Has anyone here had a Honda-branded handsfree cellular telephone kit installed in their 2003/2004 Accord? I'm considering it for my '04 Coupe. If so, how do you like the installation and functionality? I've heard recently that Honda discontinued the part. Anyone know any details?
  • mikeysoftmikeysoft Member Posts: 63
    I installed it. It worked good in my 03 Accord. It worked good with my Nokia 8260 because the connector made good contact. I change my phone to a Nokia 6340i. The connector to that phone is not as good and not very reliable. I since got the Nokia hands free kit.
  • lelandhendrixlelandhendrix Member Posts: 240
    The mirror is supposed to dim when you turn your headlights on. Since you say that yours turns on when you start the car, are you saying that you mirror is constantly dimmed unless you are parked with the engine off?
    Im under the impression that the mirror doesnt dim unless it senses light from behind the car. The mirror isnt constantly dimmed. It is on during the day but works as a normal mirror. The dealer installed it..Im assuming thats the way its meant to work. Or else they messed up the install. Do you have an 04? The mirror does come on when I start the car.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    mikeysoft:

Thanks for the reply. I'm considering use of the handsfree kit with a Motorola v60i, but your Nokia comments are interesting. The regular Motorola charging connector is not great either (takes a little jiggling to make contact).

When you say "I since got the Nokia hands free kit.", are you referring to a separate one, such as an over-the-ear or in-the-ear type? Or, the Honda-Nokia adapter cable for your installed Honda kit?
  • mikeysoftmikeysoft Member Posts: 63
    I got the non-honda kit by Nokia, I think it is the CLARK-91 or something like that. So I have both. However, the mike is the same for both of them and I did not want to remove the dash board cover again to mount the mike for the Nokia kit. So, I'm using the mike from the Honda kit on the Nokia so the Honda kit can no longer be used. If I change phones again which uses a good connector, I may switch the mike back to the Honda kit and use it again.

BTW
    The Nokia kit uses an external antenna. I mounted the antenna on the back window between the radio antenna and the defroster. The phone interferes with AM radio (but not FM) even when I'm not using the phone. You will not have this problem with the Honda kit because it does not use an external antenna.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I just saw this in CESMobile Daily on the bottom-right corner of page 6. Metra (metraonline.com) will be announcing a center console interface system for 2003+ Accords that mimic the stock stack faceplate (with all controls) and allows the insertion of aftermarket head units. They have not yet put up any info on their website about the TURBO2 interface system, but just a heads-up for any who may be interested.
    The kit is already in stores and online. Circuit City has them for $150. It looks fairly nice. The knobs are the same as the factory knobs, but the buttons are a little different.
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    Has anyone installed the Full Nose Mask on their Accord?

If yes? What are the advantages and disadvantages of this product?

I have the Half Nose Mask on right now but because of continious highway driving, I think the Full Nose Mask is better suited.

Personally I think it takes away from the car but just for paint longevity, I think I will go this route for now.
    I've ordered the auto dimming mirror for my Accord, but haven't received it yet. I can tell you that the auto dimming mirror in my 4Runner is "on" anytime the ignition is on, but it only dims when headlights hit it from behind. It does have a switch to turn it off manually. I wouldn't want the mirror to dim just because the headlights are on, because if you have lights on during the day(in rain, etc) or at night if no one is close behind you, you can see better without the mirror dimming. I asssume that Honda's mirror is the same, plus its name is "auto dimming mirror". If it just came on with the headlights there would be no 'auto' to it!
    Thanks! My sentiments exactly. Thats how my mirror works. I think there may be a slight difference in operation though between the 03 and 04. Im not sure.
    I received mine and plan to install it on Friday. I looked through the 03 and 04 installation instruction son HandA but could not find anything different. The 03 instructions are stamped, "do not use on 04" and for the life of me, I can't figure out why.

Has anyone else installed the mirror on an 04??
  • hydra2hydra2 Member Posts: 114
    Dealer installed mine about a week ago.

The warning not to use the '03 mirror on the '04 is based on the reports that doing so will cause the passenger ab light to light up and stay on.

Oops! Yesterday I notice that this very light is on. Wife confessed to experimenting with the buttons on the mirror without bothering with the directions. (She was not the one who took it in for the install). Guess I'll consult the directions before taking it back to the dealer.
    Yes, I'm fully aware of the SRS light...if you recall, I posted that issue two months back when the dealer installed the 03 mirror in my 04 car. Anyhow, I was referring to the installation instructions. There are two sets; one for the 03 and one for the 04. My point was that they appear to be identical and I was puzzled why a new set of instructions were created when they are the same. I realize the mirrors are different.

Are you saying that your 04 with an 04 mirror has now tripped your SRS light?!?!
  • hydra2hydra2 Member Posts: 114
    Correct.
  • briansbluetoybriansbluetoy Member Posts: 50
    Thanks for the post on the ipod install (#731). It was interesting routing the cable to the arm-console. I currently have the cable coming through the center console where I store my ipod when not in use.

When I want to use it, I flip open the center console door, pull the ipod out, shut the door and lean it up against the door. I can read the display and use the ipod controls very easy from there.

thanks again for the post/instructions.
    brian
  • sunangelasunangela Member Posts: 22
    How do I make
    16" wheel with 205/60R16 tires (from a v6)
    to fit my 4-cyl accord equipped with 195/65R15 ?
    Or will it fit ?
    Well, it installed without a hitch or SRS light being turned on. The mirror does turn on (lit green LED) once you turn on the ignition. You can turn it off by pressing the button on the right. Overall, I'm happy to have a working mirror again. It was tough using the stock mirror while I waited for a working 04 model to be developed as I do a light of early morning driving.

Happy New Year to all!
    Congrats! My mirror is working flawlessly as well and just as you describe. Worth every penny.
  • sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    Has anyone installed window tint in an '03 or '04 Accord WITH navigation. If so, does it affect the operation of the system? How about your AM and FM radio reception? Did you use metallic or non-metallic tint?

Thanks in advance.

Matt
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    Since your 4-cyl Accord has tire size 195x65x15, I assume it's the previous generation model (2003 up Accords have 205x65x15 except for the DX).

If that's true, then your Accord has 4 wheel bolts; the Accord V6s all have 5 bolts. The wheels won't fit.

If you have the current gen Accord DX, the wheel/tire set should fit perfectly.

On tire size, the 205x60x16s are slightly bigger, giving you slightly better fuel economy, better traction/handling but the speedometer will be slower by about 4% (showing 70 mph but actually moving 73 mph) which shouldn't be a problem other than for the inaccuracy.

Hope this helps.
  • naveen75naveen75 Member Posts: 10
    I own a 2003 Accord EXV6 with NAVIGATION and I wish to upgrade my speaker system. The sound is totally LIFELESS!!

Here are the questions.

1. Can I get any decent performance by just upgrading the front and rear speakers without any hissing or other unwanted NOISE?

If so what kind of speakers should I get?

2. If just adding the speakers makes no difference then what kind of AMP should I get?

And what kind of speakers (front and rear) should I get?

I guess tweeter is the best place for any kind of professional installation!?

Ok, I'm no big fan of rear wings, but I have to admit the wing really improves the rear end of the Accord. Has anyone done the rear wing spoiler installation themselves? It looks pretty straightforward--drill a few holes, mount, and route the wiring harness. Any gotchas?

If you had a rear wing installed at the dealer, how much did they charge? It looks like 30 minutes of work for a tech.

Barry S.
    The only tip I would offer is to buy the deck lid spring removal/installation tool as you have to replace the two stock deck lid tensioners. It's cheap too, around $8.
    Thanks, I saw that tool and was definitely planning on ordering it if I do the install. I saw an Accord with the rear wing whizz by today and it looked positively...sporty :-).

Barry S.
  • damenotredamenotre Member Posts: 5
    Can someone give me an idea of what it costs to have the '04 auto dimming mirror installed at the Honda dealership? Thanks!
    Barry - I love the wing as it really "picks up" the rear end of the Accord. Enjoy!

damenorte - It's about an hour job so figure ~$100+.

Happy New Year!
    See message #680. They charged me 115.50 to have it installed.
  • joewalkojoewalko Member Posts: 2
    A couple of notes for those looking to replacing the front-door 6.5" speakers and/or the tweeters.

- I bought the service and electronic trouble shooting manuals from helm. The wiring split-off for the tweeters, according the manual, occurs at a wiring plug somewhere around the area behind the dash for the passenger side. For the drivers, there's wiring block low on the left side behind the dash. Note it's different for the V6 coupe which appear to have "real" crossovers (along with higher power head-unit).

- If you're replacing the front speakers, get the right bracket. I don't think I'm supposed to mention websites here, but just search for the part "HSB-518" and "Honda" and you'll find a site which sells them for $10+shipping. They appear superior to the adapters which Crutchfield sells. The new speakers screw into the bracket, which then snaps into the door just like the factory bracket/speaker.

- There appears to be plenty of clearance - I installed (using the above bracket) some old Infinity speaks, which are 3" from the top of the tweeter to the bottom of the magnet, and there was room to spare both behind the magnet and between the tweeter and the grill.

- The new speakers, however, sounded no better then the stock units - they were lifeless, and needed more power. I put the factory speakers back in until I work up the nerve to install an amp & associated wiring. Note the V6 coupe has a more powerful HU then other accords; I have an EX-L I4.

- For step-by-step instructions for getting wiring from the dash to the trunk, find a copy of Honda's installation guide to the trunk mounted CD-changer. THere's a website selling honda accesories which has this document online.
  • joewalkojoewalko Member Posts: 2
    My '04 EX-L has the "integrated" XM receiver. The service manual show's the XM receiver really isn't all the integrated - it's actually located behind the right panel in the trunk, and is wired from there into the headunit.

The electrical service manual shows that in addition to R+/R- and L+/L- feeds from the XM to the HU, that there are also BUS signals. Obviously the BUS signals are used by the HU to control the channel selection of the XM receiver, and to receive the display from the XM receiver which is displayed on the HU's display.

My question - Does any one have any info on what vendors "protocol" is used by Honda with new accords to communicate between the HU and the other accessories, such as the XM receiver? I'm not very impressed with XM so far (the fidelity is really disappoing - sounds like a 64mbs MP3). I'd like to figure out if it's possible to replace the XM receiver with a "mini-PC" with MP3s on hard-drive, and somehow interface this into the HU using the appropriate protocol. The goal being to actually see the MP3 names on the HU, as well as control the MP3 player.

No, I'm not interest in shelling out $500 for Honda's lame CD-based MP3 player, which does not even display track/folder names on the HU display.

Various web searches have produced little info. Honda in the past has used Alpine protocols for the HU to control a trunk-mounted CD changer, but it's not clear if that's still the case.

Guess I'll start by taking the XM receiver out from behind the trunk panel, and seeing who makes it.

Thanks...Joe
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    the biggest problem with installing the amp is running the power wire. I had a fun time running 4ga wires thru the firewall... whatta pain. built a hinged amp rack behind the seat, and haven't had any issues....
    Thanks for some great info. However, according to the Honda Coupe brochure, only the 6 speed coupe has the higher(180 watt) stereo. Does the Helm manual state all V6's or V6 sedans. I don't have a brochure on sedans. Just nice to know info.

I replace the 6x9's in the rear(I have the 6 speed coupe) and got a considerable increase in quality.

On the amp thing, you really don't need to run 4 guage wire to run most amps. I have a couple of Sony amps that are fused with 20 amp fuses, so 8 or 10 guage wire will work fine. Now if you want to run a really big sub, then you might need heavier wire.
  • vaxheadroomvaxheadroom Member Posts: 3
    The Helm manual says just the "2-door V6 M/T" has the 180 watt stereo, which of course is the 6-speed V6 coupe. Also, on this model only, the LF+/- and RF+/- speaker outputs from the stereo feed into a "crossover network unit", which the provides seperate outputs for the door and tweeter speakers. It's not clear from the manual exactly where this crossover component is located.
This discussion has been closed.