Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

pros and cons of diesels in pickups

tthurmantthurman Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Ford
I am looking to purchase a 1 ton dully. Many have diesel engines. Mainly I am looking at GM3500 and Ford F350's in the 1995 to 1999 range. I want to use it for towing a 5th wheel but also as a company truck to haul heavy equipment in the bay area which some you know can be very heavy traffic.
I am told the diesel is mainly a long road towing truck and if I am going to be using it around town I would be better off with something like the 454.
Comments?

Comments

• quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Between those two, I would choose the F350 with Powerstroke Diesel. Houston Bay area? I don't see how you could go wrong with a diesel. You don't have any cold climate problems, fuel gelling, engine block heaters to plug in etc. Diesels run cooler and burn less fuel when idling, also good creeping in traffic. I think it would be fine around town. Just let it warm up a minute or two, and cool down a minute or two when beginning/ending the run.

A one ton dually with big block gas engine will spend a lot of time at the pump.
  • warfishwarfish Member Posts: 117
    If you are going to do heavy work with your truck, and especially if you plan to put a lot of miles on it, diesel is the answer. Personally I like the GM duramax and the Dodge Cummins. The Duramax for it's smooth, quiet power and the Cummins because it's proven itself a winner for hundreds of millions of miles and it's cheaper to maintain than the Power stroke, which will cost you big when the injectors start to fail after about 125k.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I wouldn't even consider a gas for what you are doing. A diesel burns very little fuel at idle, and will tow better than any gas engine. A gas engine that is equal in Torque to any of the diesels will be extremely thirsty.

Also, I wouldn't touch a GM diesel prior to the Duramax. As with warfish, I prefer the cummins, but the Powerstoke in the year range is ok in the warm climates. Here in the cold climates, the older powerstrokes are headaches.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    You lost all credibility with the aluminum crankshaft fib. Stick to the rumors of junky dodge brakes and auto transmissions and you may gain some respect back.
    You slam the powerstroke and duramax on "rumors" but don't like any smack talking on the dodge. HMMMMMMMMMM.....I'm not allowed to say anything bad about members per agreement with PF. But please look up the word hypocrite. Thank you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    )".I was considering getting one,but got a '99 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 w/ the Cummins in it 2 years ago instead.It's an awsome truck for what I need it to do,in every way"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm wondering how you were deciding between the duramax and cummins 2 years ago when the duramax wasn't even available. You're right.......some people!!!
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    The new Duramax Diesel 6600 is the product of a joint venture (DMAX, Ltd.) between GM and Isuzu Motors, and the second in a growing family of GM-branded Duramax engines. Because of Isuzu's expertise in commercial vehicles and diesel engines, the company plays an important role in GM's global strategy. They have produced and sold more than 13 million diesel engines over the past six decades, and enjoy a solid reputation for reliable and dependable performance. Duramax Diesel engines will be sourced and manufactured at a new facility in Moraine, Ohio.
    Don't own a diesel and wouldn't ever be able to utilize their very few advantages for what I use a truck for. The bad out weighs the good IMHO concerning diesels.

Your personal opinions concerning YOUR truck can not be disputed. Your "rumor" spouting is what got me going. On one hand you seem knowledgeable. On the other you spout something about an aluminum crankshaft. ANYONE that knows ANYTHING about IC motors would know that's impossible and any rumor concerning that would be just trying to stir the pot. PSD's need the ph checked in the coolant more than normal. Big deal, diesels in general need more/expensive maintenance. The injectors have cropped up but the PSD has a 100,000 warranty, the same as the cummins.

Personal experience?
    Fact: The PSD stock out runs the Cummins just like the new Duramax whips both of them.

Fact: I've read that NO DEALER is allowed to break a seal on a Duramax. The motor is to be replaced as a unit until further notice. I would be curious on your link to the head replacement.

Fact: Fireman friend had '95 Cummins. Yes, the motor is stout. Constant brake pad replacement, front end work and 2 transmissions in 60,000 miles. Very consistent with what I've read on these boards. Dealer finally would not warrant front end (had dodge extended warranty) blamed problems on 35" tires. Sold it for '95 Bronco that was sold private party with 185,000+ miles on it. Go figure!!

I never thought I'd get into the "sales" argument but there is a reason Dodge lags behind the rest and was bailed out by a foreign company. Now I'm going to start a rumor! I predict the rumors of the only redeeming part on a dodge (the Cummins) will be replace by an in house MB diesel.
    No, he's right. Them aluminum heads be a-meltin' on them duramax injuns now. Them dodge boys be the ones with the knowin' on this. Good luck on this one now!
    LMAO!!!!

Have you gotten your head..............replaced yet on your d-max???
    on what "moror" I was talking about. At that point I was comparing gas vs diesel.

Let's put it this way on the quality of trucks that I've seen first hand. The Bronco had a Rancho 4" lift with 35's and was beat MUCH more than the ram ever was. Considering the 1/2 ton Bronco parts compared to the dodge we expected the dodge to be beefier. Just wasn't the case. Bronc went 185,000+ miles and he still got $10,500 for it. His current Super Duty(like my previous one) is running 37's. Over 40,000 miles with NO front end problems. I like the Cummins. Had one in a motorhome(for a short while) with an Allison trans. It's the rest of the dodge truck that's lacking.

As far as "missing the whole point" what point is that?? That you can bash PSD's and Duramax but the Dodge package is perfect??? You're correct, I did miss that point.

AS far as "look around", I have. Haven't really seen the problems on either PSD's or Cummins to be truthful. The rest of the truck is a different story.
    Moror(s) is being secret about those valve lash adjustment service intervals those cummins are famous for!
    >You only need worry about it at 100,000 mile intervals.<
    Watch out for those powerjokes,they had a big problem with cavitation/pitting in the coolant passages

Dura(crap)max

Forget Ford Superduty w/powerjoke,unless you're desperate.I Hope this helps someone.
    --------------------------------------------------

Thank God you weren't bashing, would've hated to see that! At least we got one full post without " 'NUFF SAID"
    This diesel owner(like it's some badge of honor) doesn't know the difference between "quadrunner500" and "modvptnl" Think we can trust his knowledge on trucks????? ROTFLMFAO!!!!

"Deffinately not me".....Bwhaahhhahahahah

Wonder what key stroke was missed to butcher "definitely" so bad.
    --------------------------------------------------

"I. rest my case. End of discussion."

-------------------------------------------------
    If he'd only have stuck to his own words, wouldn't be looking so silly about now.
    Sounds like he's cutting classes at summer school to work that full service pump for his uncle's broken dodge like a real pro! 'Nuff said.
This discussion has been closed.