Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jc_stlsmojc_stlsmo Member Posts: 2
    Yes, bought from Hueys. Prior 3 Honda's from Mungenast. Last Honda was an '05 4dr Accord EX-L 4cyl. I'd buy from Huey's again. I thought the straightforward-ness of telling me of the Honda 'kick-backs' was a plus. Mungenast wasn't so 'open'
  • mdtamdta Member Posts: 27
    Atlanta:
    18,300 including dest.
    Approx. 400 processing fee.
    1,300 tax (%7).
    42 tag/title.
    I am very happy with the power/handling and build.
    The only thing I am a bit concern is at idle the RPM is 600 and it is a bit rough!!
  • darballman1darballman1 Member Posts: 55
    Honda World in Westminister just matched Rock Honda's price:

EXL 4 cyl. w/o Nav. auto= $ 21,490. including dest. not a bad price ! ( $ 1700 UNDER INVOICE )
  • zdr81zdr81 Member Posts: 14
    I have a quote for one, in stock, for $23,953 out the door. Only have TTL to pay. There are some accessories: mud guards, wheel locks, cargo tray, tint, wheel moldings, pen stripe. This is in Dallas, TX.

Is that a good price?
  • jenni5jenni5 Member Posts: 1
    I think that is probably a good price- I just got quoted for an accord exl 4 cylinder without navigation for $22250 plus TTL in Dallas area---- if you add the $2000 for navigation seems like you got a good price.
  • zdr81zdr81 Member Posts: 14
    which dealer if you don't mind me asking. I have yet to drive an accord with the navigation since it is not available in stock in my area. Wondering whether I should check out aftermarket gps now.
  • don57don57 Member Posts: 19
    :) Just got my new car at a dealer in Parkersburg, WV. Price was $27225 minus the $750 cash to dealer incentive. $75 in fees for title etc. $26550 before taxes. Dealers in my area don't have as much competition as those in the northern Va, DC and Maryland areas, so price may have been a little higher
  • ja716ja716 Member Posts: 3
    What was the adder for the nav? I am attempting to purchase the same car w/o nav.

Thanks for the posting
  • axthestaxthest Member Posts: 3
    Hi

did you trade-in your old accord?
    If you did, did they give you a good value for your car?

I am also from NYC looking to buy an EX model..

Thanks
  • jstewie23jstewie23 Member Posts: 14
    Got a lease on an EX V6 w/o nav in NJ. Here are the details.

- 3yr/15k per year
    - got it at invoice - $25,127
    - monthly payments are $320
    - only inception fees out of pocket ($1280):
    1st month, doc fee ($167), tags/registration ($175), bank fee ($595)

- residual value is 56%
    - money factor is 0.00089
    - apparently the $750 dealer incentive does not count for leases and only for purchases/financing...at least that is what they told me

Can't wait to get it!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    well, that does compute through edmunds lease calculator, but why .00089? Was it because you didn't pay the security deposit up front? I plan on paying the security deposit and rolling in the fees just to get the slightly lower rate. I'm not sure if that's allowed, but I don't see why not.

According to Edmunds, there are no restrictions to the marketing support being paid to dealers, and I would tend to believe it since it is marketing support (they need to market the car whether they lease or sell it, right?).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• cubby3cubby3 Member Posts: 8
    Hi, all looking for the best price on an '06 Accord/4 cyl./Leather/auto Thanks
  • don57don57 Member Posts: 19
    On the Honda homepage, the price difference is $2000, but it is hard to tell how this would affect the OTD price
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I'd defnitely shoot for under invoice ($22,496)...maybe making offers in the mid $21ks to $22k. That's just based on my area (SE U.S.) though.
  • jstewie23jstewie23 Member Posts: 14
    I talked to a bunch of different dealerships in NJ and they pretty much all confirmed that the $750 is only available for the EX V6 with a "standard" lease. They read me the text directly from the secure Honda dealership website and there is no gray area.

I got a "special" lease b/c of the 0.00089 MF. The MF on a standard lease is about 0.0027 (or 24) and that works out to be about 6 1/2% interest comapred to 2.1%. The dealers said that the lower MF would save me more money than the $750 off with the standard lease MF.

Got the car at invoice with a really low interest rate, so I am happy.
  • actuary67actuary67 Member Posts: 16
    I think that's a good price... I just paid $24,187 here in northern CT. I was trying to get it down to 23,900 , but there aren't a lot of these on the dealer lots around here , and certain dealers are treating the navi units like gold.

Other "best price" quotes I got from other CT/Western MA dealers:

24,787 -- sales manager says, "I'm not going to give you any of the marketing incentive cash, because I will sell this unit to someone else at this price." My reply : "see you later...have a nice day."

25,087 -- salesperson says, "the navi units are rare...you won't be able to buy one around here at a lower price." My reply :"see you later, have a nice day".

26,187 -- price at a local "one price, no haggle" dealership. My response : "I won't shop there. I will haggle and give my business to a dealership who really wants my business".
  • mensamensa Member Posts: 7
    been quoted 06 accord se auto 4 cyl 19,312.
    also quoted 06 accord lx auto 4 cy. 18,683. these prices include 750 dealer incentive. plus tt&l. live in bay area of Calif. is this a good deal?
  • saleman99saleman99 Member Posts: 16
    I don't know how much of a difference there should be between Cali prices and Chicaoland prices (I assume a little higher due to your weather) but I was quoted
    $18,500
    $18,349
    $18,100
    for an Accord LX Automatic.
    They all claimed the $750 dealer incentive was included, but I think their full of it. I'm going this Saturday to negotiate in person, and I don't plan on paying more than $17,900.
  • jay_gatsbyjay_gatsby Member Posts: 45
    How much lower can I expect a dealership to go below so-called "internet pricing"? Right now, a local Honda dealer has quoted me $21,609 on an EX-L, but I'm sure that such price will change depending on vehicle inventory and how such inventory comes equipped.
  • darballman1darballman1 Member Posts: 55
    That is a good price for a EXL/4 Accord. I was quoted $ 21,485. That is $1700 below invoice. I don't think you will do much better, unless you have the dealer throw in an extra "goodie or two".
    Thanks. I'm waiting on two other dealerships to send me quotes. I just wonder how much flexibility internet pricing has built into it.
  • cohenfivecohenfive Member Posts: 85
    when i searched around the sf bay area a week or two ago the best i saw for a new accord ex-l automatic was $21.5k delivered. this was first email offers with no negotiations on my part. lots of dealers below $22k. i didn't buy the car but didn't think i would get too much better than that, maybe they'd throw in a couple of accessories...that seems to be pretty good pricing, much better on a relative basis than used cars i've seen. heck some of these dealers are asking more than that for some of the equivalent used accords they have!!
  • hsejarhsejar Member Posts: 1
    Hi..

I am also shopping around for a accord se AT in atlanta. Can you tell me from which dealer you got the car.
    When you say "delivered" do you mean including delivery fee & TTL? Otherwise known as OTD? I guess the best advice is to play one off against the other until the price won't go any lower. This is the way with any commodity that numerous other people are selling. It all depends on who wants to cut into their profit margin more...
  • ftrainftrain Member Posts: 29
    I was just quoted a price of $19,295, that's including destination and "processing fee", and minus the $750 dealer cash. What's anyone think of that? It's within $100 of the Edmunds TMV price for my area. Does this seem like a good deal?

One other quick question: what does anyone know about the Honda "First Place Finish" interior and exterior "protectant"? He pushed that really hard, but hardly seems worth $500 more dollars.

I'd be grateful for advice.
  • mdtamdta Member Posts: 27
    Hennessy in Woodstock.
  • exbelowinvoiceexbelowinvoice Member Posts: 8
    I wanted to share my buying story in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area in hopes that it can help others save big $$$. :-) I just picked up a 2006 Accord EX V6 4-door for $24,000. Invoice on this model is $25,117 (or thereabouts, I got 3 different invoice prices from 3 different dealers, and not even edmunds and KBB cannot agree on the invoice price!).

The Saturday before last, we were at the Toyota dealer, since we had decided on the 2007 Camry SE 3.5. This is the most similar Camry model to the Accord EX since the LE/XLE Camrys ride like fat, cushy Buicks. The Camry SE 3.5 invoice with leather, moon roof, and traction is just over $25,000. We had also been looking at the Altima 3.5 SE (leather package and traction) at about $24800 invoice (after $1750 cash back), and the Accord EX V6 AT at about $24368 invoice (if you take the $750 manufacturer-to-dealer incentive into consideration). We had settled on the Camry because it has a killer engine and it was a brand new model, and we loved how it drives.

At Lewisville Toyota we dealt with a normal salesman. We got the dealer down to an offer of $26000 plus $300 for a compass rearview mirror. We decided to push them and offered $25,500 with the intention of settling at $2750 (plus $300 for mirror). The invoice price the dealer was giving us was different than our numbers from Edmunds and KBB. Negotiations broke off and we left. We then found out that Gulf States Toyota (TX,OK,AK,LA,MS---I think) adds about $800-900 in fees onto the invoice when it comes through the regional port (apparently, the country is split into different regions and gets cars from a regional port where the price is jacked up and not reflected in edmunds and KBB.

We decided to revisit the Altima and Accord on the following Monday. We called and ahead and asked for the fleet manager, then drove the Altima, but left the dealer without making an offer as we weren't impressed with our test drive and the interior quality of the car. As an aside, both Accord and Camry dealers praised each others cars---and both thought the Altima was not as well built. We went to Lute Riley Honda and drove a Sapphire Blue EX V6 AT 4-door with charcoal interior. I liked the color and interior a lot. Again, we had called ahead and were dealing directly with the fleet manager. We had lots
    of papers with numbers and looked like we knew what we were doing. :-) He offered us $24,700. We said it was interesting, but declined. He invited us to call back and let him know. NO PRESSURE. (I love fleet managers!) (We also got a $24,700 offer from another dealer we called that day.)

That evening I started going through the buying experiences posted on the forum. The low prices I read about inspired me to get aggressive with the Honda dealers (I also became affirmed in our decision to pass on the Camry and take an Accord). The stories on here about sub-invoice prices got me pumped up.

Tuesday morning I began making calls to about 15 fleet sales managers at all the Honda dealers in the area. Since I knew the true invoice (the official invoice minus $750 manufacturer to dealer cash (which before May 1st was available only on the coupes, not the sedans)) was $24368 my rehearsed phone pitch was something like: "I am John Smith and I will be buying an Accord EX V6 automatic transmission sedan in the next 24-48 hours. I am calling all of the dealers in the area and I will accept the best
    offer under $24,400. I wanted to see if you are interested in making an offer." Halfway through my telephone calls and voice messages one dealer, Lawrence Marshall, offered $24,200 with no doc fees or extras. I then made my pitch to the rest of the dealers asking for best offer below $24,200.

Results: Jim McNatt Honda and Vandergriff Honda refused to give an offer. Lute Riley wouldn't move below their $24,700 the day before. Honda of McKinney wouldn't move below their offer of $24,700 from the day before as well (also told me that their total cost to install a compass mirror was $550--which is a load of bull since I got $300-350 offers from other dealers). John Eagle Honda and Freeman Honda never returned my calls. Bankston Honda offered $24,400 as their final price. Rusty
    Wallace Honda offered $24200, and so did David McDavid (though I had to negotiate with him to get there). Most dealers said that their Accords had some extras like pinstipes, wheel locks, cargo trays, tint, etc. already installed. Most were willing to include these extras in the price they quoted. Those who wouldn't make an offer or who were stuck at 24,700 openly said that my supposed deal at 24,000 or 24,200 would never happen, and that the story and price would change once at the dealer. If you ask all these questions about price and dealer options ahead of time and solidly hammer out price on phone then there should be no surprises. The nice thing is you really don't have to negotiate on the phone. You just state your terms and ask if the dealer is interested. I made a couple return phone calls after I got my 24,200 offer and then my 24,000 offer. You do have to have somewhat of a stomach to do this---make so many phone calls and keep asking for more. Some dealers will make you feel like you are bleeding them dry. Just remain confident, and non-confrontational.

I got a solid quote from the fleet sales manager at Lawrence Marshall Honda. Super nice guy who was straight up by telling me the invoice, dealer cash, holdback and something called "triple net" or "net net" that is a dealer's bottom line cost for a car. He offered 24,200 with no doc fees, just TTL. And he would do a dealer trade to find the color I wanted. He is someone who I could do
    business with; I could just tell. (He also has hail-damaged Hondas that are being repaired so check that you are not getting one of those--if it matters to you.

But, when I called Frank Kent and requested offers below 24,200 he offered 24,000 with a $50 doc fee. He had my color in stock and it had window tint on it that he included for free. I can't say his name, but there may be a very messy hot sandwich named after him; a very easy-going and relaxed fleet manager. We called the next morning and accepted the offer. We also asked for a compass mirror, which was $297 installed. After driving more than an hour to the dealership it took about 40 minutes to do the paperwork and have our freshly detailed car brought up. We could not be happier with the car--$1100 UNDER invoice, and more than $2000 less than a comparable Camry.
  • normkolnormkol Member Posts: 135
    No, we now have 4 cars, me the wife and two kids. Insurance is $6k per year. :cry:

I can't wait for them to finish college and earn some money.

I went to Bay Ridge Honda before SI Honda, you have to let them know that you are aware of the dealer incentive and what the selling price should be. Then both dealers came up with good prices. Their first offers were in the $23k range.
  • danxpdanxp Member Posts: 47
    this is honda's current offer for the ex v6 at with leather... 12k mi/yr $2139 due at signing...

is it possible to do better than this at the dealer?

could they do the same deal for $15k mi/yr?

thanks for any insight...
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    see my response in the leases discussion.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ja716ja716 Member Posts: 3
    Great posting, thanks. I am looking for the same car but I have a much smaller pool of dealers. The best price I have received is invoice minus $750. Still pushing on the dealers so we will see what we end up with.
  • tasaytasay Member Posts: 36
    that's a good negotiating tactics. I called Vandergriff and the guy on the phone said, they do not sell car under invoice period. I hung up the phone. I got quote from John Eagle and they give me the quote n not going anywhere under that. I dealt with david mcdavid and they don't budge much unless I got quote from others and print it out for them. Honda Mckinney is good but I just got quote from them. I like 4cyclinders SE in Manual tranny but not many offer that. Well I can wait till the end of the month with memorial weekend coming and see what it does.
    Lute Riley kept calling me but I haven't call them back plus they don't have manual SE.
    :P
    Regards.
  • elizasmom1elizasmom1 Member Posts: 19
    We are planning to pick up our VP tomorrow. However, I am really concerned about the lack of a stabilizer bar in rear. Is this a possible safety issue in collision avoidance? I looked into adding one, but dealer says they won't modify the vehicle in that way. I will pay $2000 more for an LX if that's what I have to do, but I don't want to do that if it really doesn't matter. Please help!
  • jpgolf55jpgolf55 Member Posts: 34
    Great experience and well told. A few questions: what is the difference between talking to a Fleet manager or dealing with the so called Internet manager? How do these two managers differ within the dealerships? Thanks
    Got the car for $750 (the dealer cash) below the Edmund's listed invoice. Price including destination but before taxes and fees was just under $19,200. He also gave me $500 more for my 10-year-old trade-in than I thought I'd get.

Is that a good deal? I was very pleased with the experience, but found it a little odd that the salesman practically raced to invoice. There wasn't much of a negotiation. He began by pulling up Edmund's web site right in front of me, showing me the invoice and saying that's the best he could do. I countered that I also wanted the $750, and a 5.9% interest rate for financing over 5 years, and after only a little bit of back and forth, he said okay. It felt so relatively easy, I almost got cold feet and backed out of the deal. I felt like I must have been missing something. He did try to push a "protection package" (wheel locks, trunk liner and mud guards), as well as another protectant package called "First Place Finish" (at $500 for each package), but I declined.

Anyway, let me know if you think this sounds like a reasonable deal--maybe I can learn something for next time. I feel pretty good about it. The only part of the deal that irked me was the $399 documentation fee. But that was the one number he absolutely refused to budge on. Is that maybe where he made his profit?
    Hi,all Thought I'd give the latest in my search for the best price on an Accord EXL/auto/4 cyl.What I got from Edmunds is that the invoice(incl dest.) is $23046.Subtract $750 dealer incentive and I get $21296 Ok,so I contact the first dealer and qute my info and sources and am told that Edmunds is not correct,must be quoting for a manual trans mission.I tell them that,no,the information I have from Edmunds and other sources is correct.Round TWO: Dealer tells me that my info and Edmunds is still not correct.He says that their Net Invoice is $22,257,subtract $750 and get $21507.Then he goes on to say that Edmunds does not include holdback which brings their cost to $22257,THEN subtract $750 to get their $22257.He says that is their correct cost for that vehicle and that If I can get it for $21490 to 'grab it before they change their mind'.and to look at the true total cost.Sounds like a bunch of gobblygook to me.I read here that two folks bought EXLs for $21490 and $21609 This dealer says that at $22500 they are making $1000 profit and if I think I can find one cheaper to do it.On his attitude alone I'llkeep looking.
    To add to what I posted.This is what the first dealer came up with: Quoted $22257 as the correct net invoice.Subtracted $750 from Honda to get$21507 Net Cost.Added $750 holdback to get $22257 then subtracted $750 to get $21507.Openly stated that his offer of $22500 was with a dealer profit of $1000 and said that if anyone got one for less that I should look at the true out the door cost.What kind of OTD prices are people getting for an '06 Accord EXL/4 cyl/auto ? Dealer claims the $750 is only for a short time but I'm guessing with '07s coming that it will be around awhile.
    Jay, The price you were quoted of $21609 did that include destination ? Either way seems like a decent price from what I'm finding so far.Dealer #1 won't go below $22500 OTD price.
    I guess that likely explains my experience--the dealer had a juicy holdback coming to him, so was willing to part with the dealer cash without a fight so I'd think I was getting a great deal and leap at it. I guess I should have pushed back more.
    That's why I'm trying to get an idea of what others have paid OTD for the same auto.The first guy has me running around in circles.First he takes the dealer incentive off the 'correct net invoice' then he ADDS $750 as a holdback to come back to $22257 then he SUBTRACTS the $750 again to come back to $21507 Edmunds has the same auto for $23046 incl dest (invoice)subtract $750 dealer incentive and get $22296 if there is a $750 holdback that Edmunds does not show I would think that the holdback is $750 more that the dealer gets from Honda.Jibes,sorta with what the dealer is telling me.He is offering the car at $22500.He clearly says that they get $1000 profit and dares me to find the car at a better price.I think I can do that.If Jay was offered the car at $21609 with or without dest that would still be cheaper than my $22500.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Stabilizer bar? It isn't really a safety item... though it will make the car handle slightly better.. The chances of it being the difference in a collision avoidance are very, very, very (did I say very?) slim.

You can really take that to the Nth degree... You could pay $20K more and get a BMW, then you could really dodge the other cars... but, you probably will raise the chances of being vandalized..

If you are happy with the VP model, I certainly wouldn't pay $2K more to get the LX, just for the stabilizer bar.. Honda isn't in the habit of selling unsafe cars..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

>>what is the difference between talking to a Fleet manager or dealing with the so called Internet manager?

In GENERAL, the fleet sales manager deals with leasing companies, auto brokers, businesses, rental agencies, etc. When an individual makes contact with a fleet sales manager, he/she understands that we are knowledgable shoppers who know invoice prices, manufacturer incentives, etc. They generally just try to sell us a car for a fair price without jerking us around, especially when we use a tactic similar to what is described in my previous post.

On the other hand, the internet sales manager may just be a regular salesman, or a regular sales manager, who has been tasked to deal with customers who email the dealership. Once upon a time, when the internet was a new phenomenon, internet managers operated similarly to fleet managers, or they were the fleet managers. Now that everyone uses the internet, many dealers just treat the internet as another way to get you in the dealership. Or they might give you a "no dicker" price which still may be $1000 over invoice.

That said, at Honda of McKinney, there seem to be several "fleet sales managers" who are also normal sales people.

If you are near the DFW area, I highly reccommend the sales managers at Lawrence Marshall or Frank Kent. I'm not going to write exactly what the fleet sales manager at Frank Kent told me--but his motivation is volume. He is not concerned about profit per vehicle. He went about 44% into his holdback on our price. Figure out what that is on the Honda you want, and then subtract it from the true invoice price and call up with that as your offer. I'm guessing it will be accepted. That's much better than a couple days of phone calls. We drove more than an hour on the highway to get to him, and it was well worth it!
    Dealer holdback on that is about $646. Given current trends, I would push for the dealer to go $200-300 into the holdback. You really shouldn't have to pay more than invoice minus $750. Figure out what is your true invoice, subtract $300, then call up the fleet managers and tell them that you are going through the yellow pages and the first dealer to agree to that price gets to sell you a car (make sure doc and other fees are stated up front). If there are no takers then bump it up $100 and do it again. Rinse and repeat.
    I appreciate the advice, and will definitely use it next time we buy a car (which might actually be in the next few months). Unfortunately we signed the contract already. So we got it for the $750 below Edmund's invoice that I mentioned in my follow-up message--$19,178 (+TTL+documentation). But it sounds like we could have gotten another $200-$300 lower (especially since I know that documentation fee was pure profit). Well, that kind of sucks then. I felt like I did well, but it looks like I didn't do as well as I thought. I guess for all the research and reading I did here I didn't do enough.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Is that maybe where he made his profit?

Yup. But if you got $500 more than you thought for your trade-in, you can't be too upset.
  • normkolnormkol Member Posts: 135
    I don't understand why he is ADDING the holdback, like it is an expense. He should subtract it to come to the true cost of the car. He is subtracting the dealer incentive twice, so the cost he's giving you is about right, but he's getting at it the wrong way.

As far as making $1,000 profit, it would depend on where you are. I just bought an EX cloth, 4 cyl, for $20,300, before TTL. Profit for the dealer is $100. This is in Staten Island, NY. Add about $1200 for the leather package, you should be able to get it for about $21,500-21,600. Again, this is determined by where you live.
    Hi,all I pappreciate the info and advice.This is what I've got so far looking for an Accord EXL/4 cyl/auto : First dealer started out at $22,850 + $50 DOC .When I haggled with him he dropped to $22,500 and said that's it.An internet offer from another dealer came in a $22,255 .Going to talk to dealer # 3 later today.Of course then we have to deal with the trade-in but this is actually kind of fun !
  • marys236marys236 Member Posts: 90
    Is anyone getting great deals in Oklahoma on EX-L 4cyl? I see alot of prices around 21,400 to 21,600 quoted on this board, just wondering if I can expect to get the same kind of deal here. Mark Roberts Honda in Bartlesville, OK, is quoting $23,400 on their website, and I've heard their website prices are usually better than you can get from the dealers here in OKC. Kind of discouraging.
    I can't get below the magic $22K for an EXL/4 cyl/auto best so far is $22.3 incl dest and doc.I would think with the '07s coming out before long that they would deal a little more aggresively.
    I didn't buy at the $21,609 price (actually it was $21,605.92 to be exact), which excludes tax, tags, $550 freight and $100 processing fee. It was the first quote I received from 5 different dealers in my area, so I'm waiting on the others to respond before playing one against the other. As for the $750 "marketing support" (it is not a "dealer incentive" or "holdback"), I don't know whether the Internet Manager who sent me the quote already subtracted that or not. I would assume he didn't, since that's free money in the dealer's pocket. If he didn't, then doing so would bring the quote down to $20,855.92. Likewise, I don't plan on paying the "processing fee", as these boards have indicated that many of the dealers in the D.C. area are waiving it.

Cubby3 -- in your case, I think $1,000 profit is WAY TOO MUCH to give to the dealer. The dealer allegedly paid $21,500, which is only $9 less than the Internet quote I was given with no haggling. Assuming the dealer isn't lying to you, that would mean the dealer from whom I received an Internet quote is only making $9 profit. I highly doubt that dealers around the country are paying significantly different wholesale prices to Honda. More likely than not, the dealer with whom you've been negotiating paid somewhere between $20,000 and $21,000 for the car, giving him an actual profit of $1,500 to $2,500 if you paid him $22,500 for the car.

My personal view on profit for a commodity car like the Accord, which sells itself through reliability and resale value, is no more than $500. An Internet sale takes very little dealer time, and is a relatively easy sale to make. It doesn't require a salesman to demonstrate the vehicle and cajole a customer to buy it. Thus, the dealership doesn't need to pay a commission to a salesman. Internet customers know what they want, and rarely set foot in a dealership until they're ready to buy.