Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    jay_gatsbyjay_gatsby Member Posts: 45
    Jenni5 -- That sounds like an outstanding price. Your OTD price further supports my belief that the dealers are paying between $20,000 and $21,000 for EX-L's, probably more on the low end than the high end.
  • Options
    cubby3cubby3 Member Posts: 8
    I'm assuming that when you say OTD,your $21918.60 price includes dest and doc ? TTL license varies so what I'm trying to get is what folks have paid for the vehicle plus dest and doc(if any).Thanks, BTW,dealer #3 is coming in at $22,645 hopefully I can get them down some more when I mention holdback.Thanks
  • Options
    sienna6sienna6 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Cohenfive,
    I am wondering which dealer would that be, it looks like a good deal to me if the price is out of door price.
    Thanks
  • Options
    jimexjimex Member Posts: 46
    Hello,

I just got a quote from Boch Honda - Norwood, Mass:

The price for the Accord Sedan EXL AT NAV is $23,585 including destination. This price is good for the month of May.

Hope this helps,
    Jim
  • Options
    Nice price. That puts the NAV at being worth $2,000 at retail based on some of the EX-L prices w/out NAV we've seen posted here recently.
  • Options
    christinam1christinam1 Member Posts: 18
    How do you folks get such good quotes? I have been requesting internet quotes from local dealers in middle Georgia. The best OTD price I've received is Edmund's invoice price plus sales tax. It comes to $29,087. I'm glad I read your posts before buying.

Thanks
  • Options
    maddokemaddoke Member Posts: 12
    Was this a coupe or sedan
  • Options
    exbelowinvoiceexbelowinvoice Member Posts: 8
    >>So we got it for the $750 below Edmund's invoice....But it sounds like we could have gotten another $200-$300 lower (especially since I know that documentation fee was pure profit). Well, that kind of sucks then.

Nah, you did just fine. You still got a great price on a great car. The holdback is much less on the LX SE than on our EX V6, so your dealer couldn't afford to go into it as much (or at all). Anyone who pays invoice minus 750 is getting a good deal.
  • Options
    >How do you folks get such good quotes?

The problem is that you are ASKING for quotes. You should be GIVING quotes. Granted, there are several ways to go about getting a great price. One option I would consider is to find the Edmunds (or KBB) invoice, subtract $750, and that is your quote. Start calling fleet managers and say, for example: "I am buying a Accord EX V6 in the next 24-48 hours and I will buy from the first dealer who agrees to a price of $24,368 plus tax, title, and license." When a dealer agrees then make sure the car has no other options that will cost you anything, ask what is the doc fee (I paid $50 doc fee because price was so good), and arrange to pick up your car. Simple. Don't be discouraged at rejections. Or read my post from yesterday and use that method.
  • Options
    >>I see alot of prices around 21,400 to 21,600 quoted on this board....Mark Roberts Honda in Bartlesville, OK, is quoting $23,400 on their website, kind of discouraging.

In most areas it is unusual to see the prices paid here posted on the internet or given as initial internet quotes. These prices won't find you, you have to create them for yourself (if it was TOO simple then everyone would be buying at these prices). 23,400 is horrible for an EX-L AT. Drive 3 hours down to Frank Kent Honda in Fort Worth and you can get a EX V6 for 24,000. Or you can get a EX-L for 22,000 even. You do not have to bargain for these prices. Just call up my guy (referenced in yesterday's LONG post) and say that you will buy from the first dealer who meets that price. Done. He has 10 EX-L sedans on the lot and 18 EX V6 sedans. But before you do that, make the same phone call to your dealers up there. Don't cower when any dealers question your price. Confidently restate it and kindly ask them if they are interested. You can tell them you already have that quote, but it is from a out of town dealer, and you thought you would check if any dealers in town wanted to match it. Otherwise you will go with the deal you have. Let me know how it goes.
  • Options
    Good advice exbelowinvoice. You have to know what you want to pay. Dealers will either meet your price, or they won't. The truth is, they won't meet your price right off the bat. Rather, they'll hem and haw until you express a willingness to WALK AWAY to another dealer who will match your price. Dealers don't hold the cards -- you do. The "cards" are your dollars, and the dealers want them. The dealers have inventory they need to sell, particularly now with the 2007 models right around the corner.

Just play the game.
  • Options
    >for a EXL/4 AT I was quoted $ 21,485. That is $1700 below invoice.

HOLY COW, that's a good price! Invoice is 23,016, so that's about $1530 under invoice. That eats up ALL of the $750 dealer incentive from Honda and the $765 holdback. They must really be desperate to sell out there if you consumed ALL of the holdback. I guess they will still get other volume incentives, etc. from Honda. Are you close to actually buying the car at that price?
  • Options
    sct75sct75 Member Posts: 19
    By browsing the maintenance board of Accord and also based on my experience, I consider that an Honda backed extended warranty with good price and coverage may further help protect our investment on the new car. Of course, with good strategy, you probably get the car and warranty (or combined) with favorite final price.

I just wonder if anyone on this board has experience on negotiating the price of Honda backed extended warranty along with new car purchase and would like to share it or refer to some resources for reference.

Many thanks in advance.
  • Options
    >>Rather, they'll hem and haw until you express a willingness to WALK AWAY to another dealer

Or "CALL AWAY." :-) I bought my car entirely over the phone, by talking to the fleet managers. The paperwork had already begun by the time we arrived to pick up our car. I will NEVER negotiate at the dealership again (unless I am talking directly to the fleet manager). Generally, the sales team and the fleet managers operate independently, and have two different goals. The sales team is looking at profit per car (the salesman's commission depends on it). The fleet manager probably makes a decent salary with a commission based on the number of cars he sells, not the profit on each one.

I'm telling you, that the phone is the way to go. I had tried the internet previously, and through the phone I got faster responses and the whole process accomplished quicker. Sitting at a dealership with a salesman, while he runs back and forth between you and the sales manager is for suckers. :-)
  • Options
    Just received a second quote from another dealer in Maryland for $21,405, along with another $250 off if I buy within the next 48 hours, bringing the total quote to $21,155. Again, this is with NO NEGOTIATION.

I don't like looking a gift horse in the mouth, but something smells fishy... :confuse: Why are prices so low these days? Is it because dealers are running out of 2006 inventory, or is it because the 2007 models are coming and they need to move inventory.
  • Options
    ftrainftrain Member Posts: 29
    This is one man's completely uneducated guess, but based solely on my experience the past several weeks visiting dealerships, I couldn't help but wonder if the Accord is feeling the heat from the new Camry, combined with advances from the Sonata, and a boom in interest for the Civic due to fears about gas prices. I may be totally off and it may not have anything to do with any of those things. But the Camry and the Civic are "hot" properties right now. The Accord is great, but it's so well known that there's probably not as much buzz around it. Last week, it was standing room only at the Toyota dealership I visited, while next door (literally next door) there was one person in the Honda showroom, and nobody walking around the lot. When I bought my Accord, he had a lot full of them and pushed very hard to sell me one (I ended up buying one that is in transit from the factory), while when I asked him about the Civic, he remarked that he's having a lot of trouble keeping them in stock, and told me he wouldn't be nearly as flexible on price with the Civic.

So, that's what I'm guessing, but regardless, it's good for those of us in the market for an Accord.
  • Options
    greenicegreenice Member Posts: 41
    Sedan.
  • Options
    actuary67actuary67 Member Posts: 16
    excellent price .. . I just paid 24,187 here in the Hartford, CT area , so you're approx 600 below that ... Boston market is much more competitive than Hartford, in my experience.
  • Options
    nice deal... on the "protection package" , my advice is that you are very smart to have skipped his sales commission pitch and you saved yourself some dough. On hondaacuraworld.com , you can buy the wheel locks, trunk liner and mud guards for a grand total of $179 + $4 shipping. The mud guards will take you about 15-20 minutes to install. Is the extra $317 profit he wants to charge you a good deal ? nope.

Also, imho, skip the "First Place Finish" sales pitch and put the dough in your pocket.... 500 bucks will buy you 3 or 4 professional detailings over the next few years !!!
  • Options
    camble94camble94 Member Posts: 15
    Hi: I would like to thank everyone for their comments over the past months as I decided on the Accord. I picked up mine tonight from Clair Motors in the Boston area. It was a terrific experience. I sent an email to 4 dealers specifying the color comb (silver with gray int)and asked them to detail all their costs along with their "out the door price." I got 3 responses. I took the best price and emailed Clair, my first preference. They beat it by $200. There was no pressure at all and it took less than an hour to settle the paperwork. The details are as follows:

$21550.00 cost of car incl dest
    $ 1077.50 MA tax
    $ 273.00 doc fee plus plates
    $ N/C pin stripe
    $22900.50 TOTAL

I would definitely recommend Clair and internet communication is the way to go. And the car looks great in the driveway. Can't wait to use it this weekend.
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Don't see a lot of pricing information on the VP model so wanted feedback on the latest quote I've received of $16,931.00, tax is 1058.18 (6.25 tax rate) and $250.00 for title, license, and document fee making out the door price of $18,239.18. Is this a good deal or should I try to get a better price? I live in San Antonio so any feedback is welcome. Thanks
  • Options
    stollmanstollman Member Posts: 3
    I just received a quote of $20,082, plus 599.00 for so called dealer fees, for a total of $20,681 +Tax and title.(The dealer here in West Palm Beach, Florida claims that every dealership in the state charges this fee.) I have called random dealerships and they claim this fee is non negotiable.

So what I am basically asking is this a good price or could I do better for the car even with the $599.00
  • Options
    my advice would be to tell the dealer to cut the price of the car to offset the 599 extra profit. At the end of the day, they shouldn't care which "pocket" the money comes from.
  • Options
    mdtamdta Member Posts: 27
    I bought a LX SE AT. at the time of signing the guy offered me 7 years/100K warranty for $970; I refused, he then lowered it to $790, I declined. You can still have the option to buy 7/100k for $970 before you car reaches 4000 miles.
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    By dealer fees, do you mean destination charges? That is a charge that everyone has.
  • Options
    carmaniacarmania Member Posts: 3
    I didn't find much info about the VP either. I've tried 4 different sources and got similar quotes (in Oregon). I'll keep you updated if I find a better price.
  • Options
    stollmanstollman Member Posts: 3
    Attached is explanation that was given to me.

THE DEALER SERVICES FEE CHARGED COVERS THE COST ASSOCIATED
    WITH THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES AND SERVICES:

- Preparation of titles and MSO's for reassignment

- Preparation of paperwork for registration transfer and new registrations

- Notarization of all documents that require notarization

- Preparation and maintenance of all records with compliance of federal regulations requiring the FTC Buyer's Guide

- Preparation and maintenance of all records in compliance with state and federal laws regarding odometer disclosure

- Processing all extended service contract policies and refunds

- Receipting, tracking and depositing all monies

- Preparation of all bank documents for bank processing and finance transactions

- Visa / Mastercard / Discover and American Express credit card processing

- Usage charge for Equifax and/or Experion credit inquiry services

- Verification of affidavits for PIP / liability insurance in compliance with state regulations

- Collection and payment of state and local taxes

- Verification of collision and property damage insurance for banks, credit unions and leasing companies

- Collection and disbursement of state waste tire fees / lead acid battery fee

- Cashiers check, wire transfer and bank handling fees

- Postage and handling for the mailing of any documents listed

- For deals that do not require the entire amounts of the fees to cover the above items the balance will be credited as an additional dealer profit
  • Options
    that is an "impressive" list - one might argue that they made the list of these routine items very long, in order to justify the outrageous 599 fee. This fee is always negotiable, by virtue of having them reduce the selling price of the car.
  • Options
    ftrainftrain Member Posts: 29
    Thanks actuary. I just checked out hondaacuraworld, and that's really good to know about. Might actually get the mud guards. I kind of like how the car looks with them. Plus, I guess they might even help a little bit too. Installing aftermarket accessories like that doesn't affect warranty does it?
  • Options
    lqyedmundlqyedmund Member Posts: 4
    In your message, you just mention "losing some courtesy light". Do you mean the door courtesy light? or front door courtesy light or both front and rear lights? Thanks
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    That's the cost of doing business... very negotiable. All you have to do is read how other places don't charge those fees. Consider it with the total for the car and don't let them separate it out for you. Really, the out the door price is all that matters anyway.
  • Options
    sct75sct75 Member Posts: 19
    Hi mdta:

Thanks for sharing your experience. May you let me know if the quoted plan is a silver/gold/platinum?

I did not buy an Accord yet, but went to a dealership for a test drive. After that, per my inquiry, the finance people told me that they only sell Platinum plan of the extended warranty to 2006 Accord and the price range was around $1400-$1700. Based on my experience of previous purchase of other car's extended warranty, I know this price is negotiable. But, since this is my first time dealing with Honda dealer, I just don't know what the base line is that I could negotiate with.

So welcome more inputs.

Thanks.
  • Options
    philliplcphilliplc Member Posts: 136
    purchased today $19178 from DeLon in Salem through internet dept (+$50 doc and $168 for 4 years dmv fees). best ever buying experience - friendly, and was at dealership about 2 hours inc long test drive.

had tried unsuccessfully to beat that price in portland. sub $19k prices available elsewhere in the US seem to be tough to come by in this region.
  • Options
    mdtamdta Member Posts: 27
    Since I was not really interested in buying extenteded warranty. I did not ask what kind it is or any kind of deductable...
  • Options
    As far as I know, the warranty is not affected , since these are genuine Honda parts that are sold on that website ...
  • Options
    if you're interested in extended warranties, my advice would be to tell them that you want info on HondaCare warranties (provided by Honda), not some overpriced aftermarket junk.

I ran into the same sales pitch that you did -- I had to ask them 3 times for the HondaCare warranty info before they believed that I wouldn't fall for their shell game. btw, you can check out the prices of the HondaCare warranties at www.hondaacuraworld.com (no, I do not work for them - I found out about them through acuramdx.org)... good luck, and don't give into the sales pitch tactics !
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...btw, you can check out the prices of the HondaCare warranties at www.hondaacuraworld.com (no, I do not work for them -

.....second opinion: hondacuraworld.com (AKA Ray Laks Honda) 6/80/100 HC EW $584 - - - 2005 AV6 6M Coupe last fall............

..ez..
  • Options
    christinam1christinam1 Member Posts: 18
    Do any of you know when the new Accords will be coming to showrooms? I hesitate to buy a current model if the
    new ones will be here soon. Thanks.
  • Options
    marys236marys236 Member Posts: 90
    I think I'm ready to start contacting dealers and trying to negotiate a price on an EX-L, but wondered if anyone could answer a question for me. If I email or call and request quotes, do I tell them first that I want to lease the car, or negotiate the price first? It seems that the $750 marketing support right now may not apply to the special lease deal, so maybe I should be asking for the best lease deal up front? I've never leased before, or contacted several dealers ahead of time and tried to negotiate a price before going to a dealer, so this is new to me.
  • Options
    geno999geno999 Member Posts: 4
    Any idea whether the $750 incentives will continue after 5/31 ?
  • Options
    ciccofishciccofish Member Posts: 3
    I am also looking for an EX-L Accord in Md/N Va. The best price I have been quoted is $22,145, which includes processing ($299) and delivery ($550). The dealer claims this is $845 off invoice and no one will go lower. Is this your experience or can I do better?
  • Options
    tasaytasay Member Posts: 36
    I am pretty sure it has some incentives. Last month it was $500 and this month $750. June should has some incentives. 2007 will be available in 2-3 months. I think they keep incentives so that they can be competitive with Camry. Honda might up new model on 2008 early next year. You can never know.

regards. :D
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I wouldn't look for a 2007 on the lots before September, when most Honda models start showing up in next-year's guise. The 2007 won't be different really, except for the possible addition of PAX tire pressure monitoring on them.
  • Options
    coordinatorcoordinator Member Posts: 2
    Picked up a White Accord SE auto. for 18,600+ TTL over at Airport Marina Honda by LAX. The process was smooth, the crew were easy to work with and the price good.
  • Options
    aspadeaspade Member Posts: 42
    Can you name the dealership that quoted you 21,155? That sounds like a great price.
  • Options
    pathosrisingpathosrising Member Posts: 42
    I got a quote here in NC for 16.1 but then they added destination and a 399 paperwork fee so it hardly counts, but I think you could do ALOT better. I fully expect to pay no more than invoice - 750 +TTL. which should get me a new VP for around 17K OTD.

Can't wait.
  • Options
    lcomplexlcomplex Member Posts: 17
    Hi all, O have got quotes of $23,0XX for the EX-L Coupe AT w/Navi and $25,0XX for the V6 w/Navi after some negotiation...

what do you guys think?

which one is the better deal considering the gas price is so high now in Cali...

did you guys get any freebies like oil changes, trunk tray, cargo net, mats when you got the Accord?

please post some comments and advice...

Also, how much did you pay for the extended Honda Care warranty?

Thank you all very much, any comment will be greatly appreciated! :):)
  • Options
    lcomplexlcomplex Member Posts: 17
    BTW, the quotes I said above are prices BEFORE any tax and fees but include Destination
  • Options
    anzialanzial Member Posts: 21
    Is that a good monthly payment for 06 EX V6? 0.00089 MF, $24,7xx total cap cost (incl. all fees), 58% residual, dealer in SoCal. The intial payment is something like $575 (total). I really like the car but I do want to get a decent deal for a lease :) Thanks for any feedback!
  • Options
    The $21,115 before the rest of the charges came from Ourisman of Bethesda, MD