Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• shopper102shopper102 Member Posts: 8
    I think you did well. I haven't heard of any quotes lower than yours. And I doubt you could go much lower if there was a dealer willing to negotiate.
  • mbarkermbarker Member Posts: 3
    The host spoke up and already noted that we can't mention salesmen names here. But, it isn't a question of salesman, it is a question of what the going sales price of the vehicle is even with the $750 cash back. The online buying service I always check shows some Accord models about $700 off invoice (giving almost all the dealer cash) and some a few hundred off invoice....then there is the model you are looking at which is basically near invoice. I tried another zip code in the region and it came back with the same price.

The trade-in is tough....but it may be where you can negotiate some...it just depends on the car. If it is nice enough to put on their lot you can probably negotiate a little. If it will be sent to auction, they won't negotiate much if at all.

Still, you can always offer to buy the car at the price you really want to pay and see if they bite. But, they are really trying to be low pressure there. I test drove cars on five different occasions and they never once asked if I wanted to talk numbers or "what can we do to get a sale today". It sounds like you didn't have to negotiate to get what turns out to be a buying service's price which was what I noticed about the dealership.
  • nickpannickpan Member Posts: 4
    Well, I finally got mine yesterday for $18,000 OTD with 3.99% Honda financing from Russel & Smith Honda in Houston, TX. I negotiated the deal over the phone, walked in, test drove and walked out without any hassel. It was really a peasant buying experience.
  • docladocla Member Posts: 15
    I am in the market for an 2006 EX-L. The MRSP is 25586 however the dealer has some "add on"
    like paint sealant and so on so the price is actually 26436$. What is the lowest price I can get on such a vehicle?
  • jay_gatsbyjay_gatsby Member Posts: 45
    Well, I'm glad I didn't do business with Ourisman. I had also heard shady things about Ourisman, but I figured that I was smart enough to work my way around them with the assistance of the information provided in this forum. Even if I could have done so, it probably wouldn't have been worth the hassle and frustration.

Keep looking for the car you want. Don't settle for something else. You'll regret doing so every time you get behind the wheel.
  • ftrainftrain Member Posts: 29
    Sounds like you did very well. That's about $300 lower than we paid in Durham a week ago for the identical car, and we didn't get the mudguards or sealant (and Crown charged a higher fee). Nice work. Congrats on the new car!
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    Anyone have a bead on what Hybrid's are going for? Seems like a strange market---there even seem to be leftover 2005's, but I don't know that they are all that marked down.

Also--can anyone in the DC Metro area help me figure out if the Accord Hybrid qualifies for the HOV exemption? I don't think it does--VDOT website doesn't mention it and I haven't seen every many out there on 66 when I drive in with my wife.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Sounds like you got a good deal and can't beat the financing rate either.
  • wandaswandas Member Posts: 8
    RE: 2006 Honda Accord EX-L Automatic 4 cyl. I have received an internet quote from a dealer in Jacksonville, FL for $22,495. He shows the MSRP as $25,500.00, which is the same as I have found on Honda's website. He gives the invoice price as $23,005.00. The invoice price I found is $23,046. So he seems pretty much on track. Unfortunately, the $22,495 has the dreaded "*Plus accessories" :( . Finally I'll get to my question, what is the next step? This price is already below what Edmunds' TMV price of $23,072 (of course this includes $550 destination charge and I don't know if the dealer has included this in his internet price. Even with the $550 destination charge added to the $22,495 ($23,045) this is below what the spreadsheet I downloaded from carbuyingtips.com said would be a good negotiated selling price. I hate to take the first quote, do you think this is bottom line?? Is this a good price?? I know I need to find out what accessories they are talking about and if the destination charge is included in quote. (doubtful) One of the Honda dealerships had on the bottom of their web page, prices would include a $599 delivery fee. Isn't this the same as destination charge? Thank you for any help. I am sorry this message is so long. I haven't done this on my own before and have a lot of questions.
  • thekingtheking Member Posts: 107
    $599 appears to be the equal of a doc or documentation fee which a dealer has to do...includes setting up paper work so you can get title/insurance/plates....my dealer only charged $95.00....know what car will be otd(out the door). This includes what you will have to give to dealer in a certified check to own car. This does not include plates/state sales tax/ or any other fees that will not go to dealer. Do not pay anymore than you feel is fair. Honda accords are all over the place;there is no limited run or "we cannot get that color combo,etc" Put on your sneakers and as Jackie Gleason use to say to his orchestra leader Sammy Spear.."A little travelling music.Sammy" :)
  • gilnashgilnash Member Posts: 19
    Get quotes from other dealers. You can still use your local dealer for service.

There are some good resources on car buying, such as Edmunds or from James Bragg's web site, fightingchance. He also has a book, "Car Buyers Bible". If you prefer someone else to gather quotes, you might try the carbargains web site. It is a little pricey, but from what I've read, a reputable service.

It's hard to decipher many of the quotes listed in these messages. OTD prices are meaningless for the forum since taxes and gov't fees vary depending on location. However, some buyers are getting quotes (including dest. fee, before TTL) of more than $1,800 below dealer invoice (see msgs 11476, 11444, 11491). Others have listed quotes of more than $1,200 below dealer invoice (msgs 11490, 11519, 11499, 11473). Most seem to getting at least $750 below, with some getting $1,000 or more below dealer invoice. Price comparison would be much easier if people quoted the price below dealer invoice, with the doc fee, but excluding TTL.

Two dealers advertise prices over the net, Grand Honda in Chicago & Berlin City in NH. Those prices tend to be at least $1,600 under dealer invoice. Grand says their quotes include the $550 destination fee, Berlin City doesn't say (maybe doesn't). Their dealer processing fees aren't listed either. It seems other dealers shouldn't be excessively more expensive than these dealers.
  • actuary67actuary67 Member Posts: 16
    I've had great luck selling used Hondas and Acuras myself. We just sold our 2000 Accord SE for $6,600 (120k miles) , vs. the best offer of $5,000 as a trade-in ... similarly, we sold our '97 Acura RL (185k miles) last year for $5,600 vs. $3,500 offered for trade-in...
  • actuary67actuary67 Member Posts: 16
    I bought mine for 24,187 before TTL , and I have seen another person on this forum buy one at around 23,600 (Boston area)... add your TTL to these figures to see how they compare.
  • bmanflyerbmanflyer Member Posts: 5
    This from the dealer in Aberdeen, NC

Sale Price $22,517.86
    3% NC Tax $675.54
    Tags $69.00
    Doc Fee $299.00

Total Price $23,561.40

I have five Accord EX-L's on my lot. I only have 2 Alabaster Silvers though. One has the black leather interior and the other has the gray leather interior.

Dealer in Asheboro, NC has a Dark Gray Accord EX-L at $21995 plus any accessories, tax, tag
    and fee.

Just avoid Crown in Greensbor at all cost
  • bmanflyerbmanflyer Member Posts: 5
    This from the dealer in Aberdeen, NC

Sale Price $22,517.86
    3% NC Tax $675.54
    Tags $69.00
    Doc Fee $299.00

Total Price $23,561.40

I have five Accord EX-L's on my lot. I only have 2 Alabaster Silvers though. One has the black leather interior and the other has the gray leather interior.

Dealer in Asheboro, NC has a Dark Gray Accord EX-L at $21995 plus any accessories, tax, tag
    and fee.

Just avoid Crown in Greensboro at all cost
  • carmaniacarmania Member Posts: 3
    The out the door price was significantly below -750 (+TTL of 218). Along with that I got free accessories (mud flaps and trunk tray). You can try to get better than -750 but the internet manager assured me that he may not be able to sell it much lower than that. From my experience, I can tell you that these guys(Kendall Honda) are the best this part of the country --- no hidden tricks or pressure to buy anything you don't want to. Moreover, they are looking to get more internet business. Competition benefits the consumer, doesn't it?

Good luck on buying your new car.
  • saleman99saleman99 Member Posts: 16
    On Monday I purchased an Accord EX with no add ons cloth interior 4 cyl. I received two internet quotes prior to my dealership visits.
    Honda of Lisle - $20,540 with $550 destination fee
    Oak Lawn Honda - $20,278 without $550 destination fee

Then I visited Honda of Joliet who quoted me in person $20,888 w/$550 included, then let me walk out when I told them they were way too much.

Then I decided to go to Honda of Lisle in person. I walked in and they quoted me $22,345 w/$550 included. I laughed and told them if they beat Oak Lawns price of $20,278 and include the $550 destination fee I would purchase the car. The salesman came back with $20,200 w/$550 included so here is the final calculations:
    Car - $19,650.00
    Dest. - $550.00
    Doc - $57.30
    Sub-total -$20,257.30
    Tax 6.75% $1,367.37
    New Plates - $143.00
    TOTAL - $21,767.67

Thanks to everyone for their help.
  • wheelbearingwheelbearing Member Posts: 2
    Took delivery yesterday on a 4-cylinder EX-L with Nav system; actual price was right about $23,700, including everything but the state TTL fees, from the Honda dealer in Cambridge, Mass. We probably could have knocked a couple hundred more off by leaving and going to other dealers, but we wanted to get it done.

Here's a *BIG* thank you to everyone who has contributed information to this forum....the data and comments allowed us to go in prepared, knowing what we would pay and ready to counter all the usual salesperson befuddlements.

And - is it my imagination, or is the Accord an amazing bargain these days? It's a very nice car to begin with, and at $4000 off sticker it seems like a nice deal, too.
    The Accord isn't an amazing bargain. It's priced where it should be for what you get. Other cars offering the same or similar features are simply over-priced. Just look at the run up in prices for a Toyota/Lexus as an example. Nissan and Mazda haven't run up that much, but I don't really consider them on the same quality level as Honda or Toyota (though others may disagree).

Honda may not be a luxury brand like BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, Infiniti, etc... but I'll take money in my pocket over the "prestige of ownership" any day of the week. In fact, I did some calculations a few months back, and figured out that after taking into account the price differential (and a reasonable appreciation of the money saved) between a new Honda Accord and a BMW 3 Series, the true depreciation of those cars after five years was 49% for the BMW but only 27% for the Honda Accord.
  • wheelbearingwheelbearing Member Posts: 2
    Well, yeah, that seems like a good way of expressing it, Jay. Either way you slice it, it seems like the EX-L in particular comes in a good bit below what you'd have to pay elsewhere, with no tradeoff at all in build quality (in most cases, the Honda is an upgrade in that department). And I like the sound of those depreciation numbers, although I tend to keep my cars a lot longer than five years.
    The only problem with the EX-L is that you're not getting a vehicle built for performance like the Acura TSX (European Accord). Then again, you're not paying $28k+ for the EX-L either.

As for my calculations, my numbers might be off based on Edmunds numbers. Edmunds figures that the depreciation on the BMW (priced originally at around $37k) is somewhere around $19k after five years (with typical options), leaving a residual value of $18k. Edmunds figures that the depreciation on the Honda Accord (priced originally around $24k) is somewhere around $12k, leaving a residual value of $12k. Based on the foregoing numbers, the BMW depreciates 51% after five years, whereas the Honda Accord depreciates 50% after five years. Pretty even, right? Wrong. If you take the original price differential of $13k, and invest that for 5 years at 9% a year (the average gain of the stock market over the last 75 years), you will have $20k at the end of the 5-year period. Add that $20k to the $12k your EX-L would be worth after five years, and you have a residual "value" of $32k for the Honda Accord, versus $18k for the BMW. The Honda Accord is "worth" approximately 33% MORE than you paid for it (or 133%), while the BMW is worth 50%.

The foregoing calculations don't take into account things like repair costs, which are $631 for the Honda and $2,225 for the BMW over five years -- a 350% difference in repair costs.
  • nwalker1nwalker1 Member Posts: 17
    My wife and I purchased a 2005 Honda Accord EX-L-Nav with mud guards. The sticker was $27,500 and we paid just under $24,000 for ours. Hope this helps!
  • pathosrisingpathosrising Member Posts: 42
    "Just purchased today in High Point, NC.

Price: 18866.02
    Tax: 565.98
    License and Title: 69.00
    Processing Fee: 249.00
    TOTAL: 19750.00

How'd I do?"

I'm in high point too, come pick me up!!!
  • radhayradhay Member Posts: 17
    Honda has a munfacturer to dealer discount of $750 starting 06/01.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    hi...

am considering leasing an accord-- i see all these good prices you are paying... i assume these prices would not be had if you were leasing?? the incentives currently *$750 0ff/$1000 off for coupes) are only if you buy, not lease?
  • jworthingtonjworthington Member Posts: 42
    Go see the internet sales manager at Bryan Honda in Fayetteville, It is DEFINITELY worth the slight drive from Aberdeen and the treatment you get, along with the honest (yes, I said honesty and car dealer in the same sentence) you will receive from him are first rate. I would recommend Bryan Honda to anyone within driving distance.

When we bought our 2006 Accord 4 cyl from him, he gave us the best price the FIRST time I talked to him AND he gave me a significantly higher price on our trade in--over the phone. In fact, he honored the trade in price when I came in while another dealership (in Aberdeen) started waffling and reduced their price. Needless to say, I walked out the door and they lost my business.

Bryan Honda. Recommend.
  • blm1blm1 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2006 Accord LX. This car has a floor shift and I discovered by accident that the shift will go into neutral without pushing the button. But what is worse is that when you pull the shift to get back to drive, it actually downshifts to D3. This is UNSAFE. At high speeds on an interstate, if the shift gets bumped into neutral and you go to bring it back to drive, it will go to D3 making it possible to blow the transmission or at least damage it. This is not addressed in the owners manual nor was I told about this before purchasing. If I had been told, I would NOT have bought this car.
    Honda California said this was a 'feature' so that if the gas pedal stuck you could put the car in neutral. This is a lame reason for this design since you could put any car into neutral if that occurred. The real serious problem here is that you can inadvertently downshift. All buyers of Honda's should be aware of this. No one I've spoke to about this - mechanics, drivers and police - feel this is a good feature - all have said not good. This also applies to the column shift vehicles but they are less likely to get knocked out of gear.
    Would appreciate knowing if other buyers were aware of this. I certainly will never buy another Honda, I want a car that is safe.
    huh?

i've owned various honda accords since 1983-- have no idea what you're talking about.... floor shifts? column shifts? you mean automatics? usually what i do if i want to shift to D for drive is, I look at the D for drive on the dash or the actual faceplate, and shift to it. most folks have mastered this art. with some, it takes practice.
  • seniorjoseseniorjose Member Posts: 277
    Just bought a 2006 Accord LX. This car has a floor shift and I discovered by accident that the shift will go into neutral without pushing the button.

All cars for many, many years have a simple slide into Neutral from Drive...this is at ;east 40-50 years old that I know about...my Mom's '53 Buick did it and etc., etc., etc. Let's see, a 1986 Chevette, 1987 Mustang and all others that I know about...including a 1972 VW with automatic shift! They all had the same Neutral/Drive free movement...maybe you are misinterpreting just how your car is supposed to operate.

But what is worse is that when you pull the shift to get back to drive, it actually downshifts to D3.

My 2005 Accord only shifts where you want it to...banging, without looking, the shift lever into D3 instead of putting it in Drive when you shift from Neutral will simulate your problem.

Sorry to hear about what may be your buyer's remorse, but you are really in the market for an auto with a shift gate so that you can shift easier...but they still allow a Drive to Neutral seamless movement. Did you feel you paid too much for your Accord or is this your first quality car?
  • blm1blm1 Member Posts: 2
    I traded a Crown Victoria car in for my new
    accord LX - so I know for sure what quality really is!!!! I don't have a problem with going from drive to neutral. but you can go from neutral to D3 without pushing the button on the shift - this is what could cause damage to the transmission especially downshifting if at high speed. The shift should stop at drive - not go to D3.
  • mdtamdta Member Posts: 27
    I change from D and D3 without pressing that button all the time! it is like driving a manual box. :P
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Your car's rev-limiter would not allow your car to exceed redline, and would cause no damage to your transmission. Also, I doubt you'd be going fast enough to even HIT redline in 3rd gear...I'm positively sure it (redline)comes well after 85 MPH in third gear, faster than ANYONE should be driving their car if they're worried about transmission life!

My 1996 Accord operates in the same manner, as did our 1990 Accord, 1992 Accord, 1993 Accord, 2000 Accord, 2000 Odyssey, 2002 CR-V, and 2005 Accord. In fact, our Chrysler Sebring Convertible (unreliable as it was) had the same method. Go try all the midsizers, I'll eat my hat if they don't function the same way.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I am not specifying which Accord this applies. I read in one of the postings that $4,000 off list was their buy. A dealer here in Nashville, Tennessee offered two weeks ago the purchase of Hondas at the dealer employee price. The $750 cut to the dealer is not that "big a deal." Are they maxed out with Accord inventory and they need to move them out?
  • xituxitu Member Posts: 2
    Yes, it was an automatic. Check it out at Russel & Smith. Good luck.
  • mountaineersmountaineers Member Posts: 6
    The sticker was $27,500.
    Paid 24200+TTL included wheel locks mud guards,and trunk tray. The navi 4cyl was hard to get in Charleston,SC. So we bought from Superior motors in Orangeburg. They would not budge on the $750 dealer incentive.
    Added:
    Rear wing spoiler-$400 installed
    Moonroof visor-$100 installed

This is our 4th honda and love the navi, so easy to use. Wish they would move the moonroof controls to the center roof. Getting 29.6 mpg so far.
  • chipkarsickerchipkarsicker Member Posts: 14
    Was it Darrell Waltrip Honda Volvo in Nashville? If so, be aware that they have, well at least they had recently, a huge hail damage to hundreds of their vehicles. I'm not saying they offered that price on the damaged cars. Just FYI.
    was this purchase made in june or was it end of may sale?

trade involved?

thanks.
  • pjsammypjsammy Member Posts: 1
    I have an internet price of $22040+tax,title,and doc fees for a LX V6.

What do you guys think? It seems to be pretty good based on edmunds's TMV.

I'm hoping to lease and with the crazy low money factor out there right now, I could actually lease this LX V6 for less than a LX 4 cyl 5 speed (I think).
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    This car has a floor shift and I discovered by accident that the shift will go into neutral without pushing the button.

Nice! Its been a long time since I've been able to add to the "top 10 silly complaints" list. Thanks for changing that.

But what is worse is that when you pull the shift to get back to drive, it actually downshifts to D3.

"It" is not doing anything. YOU are downshifting it. Get your foot of the gas and shift it back into D and everthing will be dandy. What the heck are you shifting into neutral for anyway?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jhuwangjhuwang Member Posts: 2
    Been looking at posts here before I went to the dealer, got lots of useful information. Thank you!

Here is my deal:
    $17990 + tax + fees, OTD $19300. How did I do?

btw, got quote from Grand Honda for $18100. Feel that could have done better.
  • ftrainftrain Member Posts: 29
    I too just bought a 2006 Accord, and while I would also prefer that the shift stopped at D instead of D3 without pushing the button, that hardly sounds like a reason to not buy the car. I have no regrets about my purchase.
  • mmarsdenmmarsden Member Posts: 1
    I just got an offer from a dealer for $22699 + TTL. Is that okay?
  • otto9otto9 Member Posts: 1
    A couple of dealers around Boston have quoted me a price of about $19100(car only)for 2006 Accord 4dr LX SE Manual transmission. Is that a good price? It looks like that is about the price for some of the same cars in this forum that have automatic transmissions, so shouldn't one with MT be less?
  • sed6sed6 Member Posts: 5
    I'm in Oklahoma City and looking at a Graphite 06 Accord LX SE Sedan Auto. My best first offer from an internet manager was $19,527 out the door. This is about $500 under invoice. Other dealers were within a few hundred of this. I'm aware of the $750 dealer incentive and a likely $600 holdback, but what else am I missing? If their first offer is this good, there must be some room to haggle that I'm overlooking. Ideas?
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Sounds like a good deal, but it depends on what the price breakdown is (sales tax, title and registration, and any document fees. Here in San Antonio the best deal I've seen thus far is $16,931.00 for the VP model with a 6.25% sales tax and $250.00 dollars for tax title and document fees for a total price of $18,239.00. But if that was initial offer sounds like you might be able to do better.
  • marlenekmarlenek Member Posts: 3
    JUST BOUGHT A HONDA ACCORD EX WITH LEATHER AND NAVI, REAR SPOILER AND WIND DEFLECTOR. I USED THE INTERNET DEPARTMENT AT SHERWOOD HONDA IN DELRAY BEACH FLORIDA. I PAID 25,800 OTD .SHE WAS GREAT, VERY EFFICENT AND PERSONABLE. GAVE ME THE BEST DEAL AROUND. STOP IN AND SEE HER OR CALL HER ITS WORTH THE TRIP. :)
  • christinam1christinam1 Member Posts: 18
    Is your new car a 4 or 6 cylinder?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    HUH?? You post this here and then, 21 minutes later, you are asking what you should pay for a lease of an Accord (on the Accord leasing discussion, of course).

What's the deal??

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• loki87loki87 Member Posts: 8
    On Monday night at 11:30pm, I drove home my brand new 2006 Accord. I'm fairly happy with the deal I got:

2006 Accord 4-cyl EX-L Manual, Carbon Bronze Pearl, Black Interior...

$21,737 = Invoice
    +$550 = Destination
    -$750 = Dealer cash back
    -$300 = Negotiations
    $21,237 = Subtotal
    +$1061.85 = Tax
    +$241 = Tags & Title & Processing Fee
    $22,539.85 = TOTAL

It's a beautiful car, and my wife and I are very happy with it so far. :)
  • yashayasha Member Posts: 5
    Yes. I've got a first internet offer for 06 LX 4 dr auto Graphite Pearl at $18,549. Obviously they use $750 dealer cash. However, this baby is Made in Mexico? Has Honda start making Accords in Mexico? Is this Kosher?