Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    First adopters of any product always pay higher prices . . . look at the those who paid the higher prices for the Apple iPhone - same thing. If you want a new Accord, I would suggest you plan to wait at least 6 months, or perhaps 1 year. Even though it's a "Honda," I wouldn't buy a first model year of a new generation from any auto manufacturer. I bought a new generation Civic, and I wish I hadn't - I learned the hard way.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Charging that much can be reported to American Honda, that is price gouging! and that is illegal, there are laws that protect consumers against this very thing. Now if the have it for auction, and that how much the price goes up to, then thats another story, and its okay. Thats just the demand.
    Report this to American Honda, I am sure they don't want a dealer making that much on a car for their own dealership.

I am only paying sticker or below for a car, its not my fault that its new. They can only mark it up so much, before it is illegal. They'll have to answer to the auditors!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    there is nothing illegal about it. They can ASK whatever they want for the car. It is the consumer's decision as to what to pay.

Do you really think all of the dealers who charged $10s of thousands over msrp for the Ford GT are all in jail?

Nobody is holding a gun to anybody's head and stealing money here. It is simply capitalism at work. My suggestion is to simply NOT support a dealer who does business this way.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• lambulambu Member Posts: 16
    Is it even conceivable to charge above MSRP amidst subprime mess that is going on right now? However radically designed these cars are, they don't deserve this much premium and Honda should be realizing it or else they will fall behind Nissan! Toyota will try to aggressivly price Camrys to grab the market. It will be a good news for us..
    Honda should be realizing it

Again, as in the above message, the manufacturers do not charge the customer anything. They sell their cars to an independent salesperson (the dealer) at one price and it is up to the dealer what they will sell it for.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    Dealers can charge whatever they want. There will be close to invoice deals on this car by Xmas if this sub prime mess expands. If no one is buying cars, they have to lower their selling price to generate traffic into the showrooms.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    stands for *suggested* retail price. Rarely is that the actual sales price to the dollar—it goes for more or less.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • recadanrecadan Member Posts: 10
    I agree the price will come down to invoice in 6 months. Look, it is a new design but it is not revolutionary, ala Ody in 99-02 or Fit right now. Moreover, you basically have two choices in minivans (Ody, sienna), two choices in sub-compact SUV (Fit, Scion), but you have literally dozens of choices in Sedan (Accord, Camry, Maxima, Passat, Altima, BMW-3, G35, A4, etc etc).
  • lambulambu Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for correcting me. But these honda dealers always think they are selling premium stuff (except in last two months while clearing 07 inventories) when compared to other auto dealers. I partially blame media hype as well for this attitude. Well, this is just my observation..
  • trdprerunnerdctrdprerunnerdc Member Posts: 52
    My friend went to Robertson Honda in North Hollywood, California to purchase new Civic. She filled out an application for finance and sent it thru the dealerships website. She was contacted over the phone and agreed on No downpayment and financing approved.

When we arrived at the dealership, she inquired about the price of Accords and was told a price of $17,500 for a 2007 Accord SE 4cyl automatic.

After the test drive we sat down at the negotiating table and waited for the salesperson to return from the office.

To my surprise, upon his return he stated the 2007 Accord SE is selling for $21,500. So we realized it was out of her price range, and went back to the Civic. Guess what? Now he's requiring a $1600.00 down payment.

I've purchased 3 new cars from Rock Honda, Carson Toyota and Downtown LA Nissan Motors and I've never encountered anything like this. This guy wasted my time! My friends current car isn't in good shape so I had to drive her around. Why would a car salesperson do this?

Am I wrong to think they were out of line? It's been 3 days since the incident, I'm still feeling irritated by it.
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    It appears some of the dealers are charging upwards of $38k for a fully equipped accord v6 exl. What are they smoking?

It appears where???

Could you post some more information about where you got this information? Was it an e-mail quote, phone quote, advertised price or from an in-person visit?

Your comment started several complaints about illegal price gouging, etc----it would be interested to know which dealers are actually throwing out these prices. Also what part of the country are they in?

I requested a quote from three dealers last night when the 2008 Accord "Request a Quote" feature was added to the Honda site. One dealer has e-mailed me back this morning saying they still don't have prices yet. Nothing from the other two yet.

I'll post anything hard quotes that I receive.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Invoice in six months? Ah...don't think so.
  • dad2bedad2be Member Posts: 60
    Just found a 2008 Accord listed on Ebay. The car is the 4-cyl EX-L Automatic version. Their price is $26,495 (which is the MSRP.) This is at Metro Honda in Jersey City, NJ.
  • oarsdadoarsdad Member Posts: 64
    I'm no salesman, but I think invoice in six months is possible. My sister purchased the newly redesigned '06 Civic EX in Dec. of '05 for $250 over invoice. What is that, about 3-4 months after it's introduction? I'm sure it varies by location/region. She bought hers in Toledo.

I saw the new Accords at my dealer yesterday. They look real nice in person. The only thing I wish was different was the length of the nose/hood. I think it would look a little better if it was an inch or two shorter.

From the front, the V6's are not only distinguished by the fog lights but I noticed the very bottom of the bumper has an extra curve or two that is not present on the I4's. It's small, but it makes it look better, I think.
  • jlord50jlord50 Member Posts: 13
    I want to get a 2007 Accord VP AUTO 4cyl if good deals
    are still available. Is 17200 + Tax + Tags good?
  • tgwrhtgwrh Member Posts: 7
    Do you really think that if a consumer and a retailer agree to an inflated price that that is price gouging?

A car purchase is a voluntary transaction. If you feel a dealer is charging too much for a car, dont buy it. If a dealer wants to mark the car up $8000.00 additional dollars and a consumer/buyer agrees to pay the additional $8000.00, that is not price gouging. Thats a poor decision on the buyers part.

You really should read up on the law in terms of price gouging before sharing your uninformed opinions.
    But not necessarly a "poor decision" if the buyer is happy with the price they paid.

Not everything in this world has to be discounted in order to sell.
  • bigmike2bigmike2 Member Posts: 96
    Agree. I remember an attorney I once worked with who paid $10k over list for a Thunderbird when they were first reintroduced. His son, also an attorney, asked me seriously how hard it was to get someone declared incompetent. :) But, there was never any question about the binding nature of the purchase.
    I've received two e-mail quotes this morning thus far on an 2008 Accord EX coupe.

One was at MSRP and one was $600 under MSRP. This is on day one of sales before any negotiation.

People like isellhondas were saying it would be a long time before the Accords were sold under MSRP. Turns out that's just not the case.

I'm interested to hear where the other quotes are coming in at so if anyone is getting them please post them.

And if someone else posts that the EX-L V6 with Nav is selling for 38,000, (as was done earlier today), please post some specifics so we know the context the quote was given. (How the quote was obtained, what other accessories or packages were added on,etc. )
    Oh, I don't think I said that.

Someone else thought they would be sold at invoice within a few months and I did take exception to that.

I suppose I could be wrong however?
    So, did that attorney got cheated or did he pay "too much".

Nope, he paid what it took to buy that car at that time and, no doubt he was happy.

People did the same thing with Miatas and PT Cruisers when they were new and hot on the market.

Now PT Cruisers are almost impossible to unload!
  • fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    Yes you WILL be wrong. Invoice will be here by Xmas! :)
    Oh, I don't think I said that.

Someone else thought they would be sold at invoice within a few months and I did take exception to that.

I suppose I could be wrong however?

In post 2364 on the 2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan forum you stated:

These will be bring all of the money for quite awhile.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.efe7679/2363?@@

I interpreted "all of the money" to be full MSRP. Is that not what you meant?
    Yeah, I guess I did say that.

Well, the MARKET will always determine pricing. I just don't see why any smart dealer would start dumping a great car unless they are forced into it.

A great product shouldn't have to be deeply discounted in order to sell.
  • jerryhigginsjerryhiggins Member Posts: 5
    I've heard that 2008 Camry's are being discounted at around 12%. Does anyone here think that Honda would have to come close to that to stay competitive?
  • walterquintwalterquint Member Posts: 89
    I wouldn't pay over invoice for any car, Accord included.. Honda has the capacity to crank out 500k Accords/yr for this market. If any dealer is gouging on the 2008, just head for the Camry store. It IS the dealer's right to charge what it wants, however. Remember, the dealer owns the car before you do; it is just "reselling" it to you.

Some Honda cars will likely never be negotiable, due to constrained supply. Demand for the Fit is probably 3 times the available supply for the States.

I hope Honda stays price-competitive with Camry. I must admit, the new Accord is not the quantum leap forward I was expecting. The Camry exterior seems a bit better looking although the Accord interior now rivals Mercedes. But the Altima Coupe is a far more provocative design than the Accord Coupe's. And if the Malibu 4cyl/6sp auto combo can save the consumer $2k over an Accord, Honda better start worrying...and dealing.
    Well, that would take them down to invoice so I doubt it.

It's different car. People who like Hondas will buy Hondas instead of settling for something else just over dollars.

Toyota people are pretty loyal to Toyota too.

I would hate to think someone would settle for somethin else over a few dollars but I know for some people, that's all they care about.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Yes you WILL be wrong. Invoice will be here by Xmas!

I agree...Accord, Camry and Altima are mass production cars. The price is close to MSRP only for the first couple months of its new design.
    " I wouldn't pay over invoice for any car"

Well, I guess there are a lot of cars out there you would never own!

I'm curious...is it VALUE you are looking for when you buy a car, or is it simply PRICE. Just asking.
    Oh yeah...that Malibu would be a GREAT buy!!

The 2000.00 that you "save" now will go away quickly when it's time to get rid of the thing!

I guess it's all about the "deal" and not the car, huh?
  • everblueeverblue Member Posts: 27
    No, $17,200 is not a good deal for 07 Accord VP AT. You should ask for $18,208 (invoice including destination) - $583 (3% hold back) - $800 (current Honda rebate) = $16,825 or even less. I was offered $15,625 (including destination) when there were $2000 Honda rebate before Sept. 4th.
    ***trying to remind myself why I try to stay out of the Prices Paid Forums***

So, you are suggesting that a store sell a new Accord for invoice, less holdback, less incentives?

Why would they bother opening thier doors?
  • everblueeverblue Member Posts: 27
    Yes, why not? You are doing them a favor by getting an remaining 07 off their lot. Don't worry, they also have bonus and dealer fee to compensate. At the end, they still make a few bucks off you.
    I'll spare you the lecture about overhead and the cost of doing business.

They still aren't distressed merchandise and it's pretty unlikely a dealer would take a loss on one.

I suppose they could, but why?
    Thanks. I did contact several local dealers
    on Sept 3 about a 07 Accord VP AT, but the
    best quote was something like
    $17600 + tax + tags, before the $2000 expired.
    After Sept 4, a couple of dealers gave me
    the lower quote of $17200 + tax + tags
    when the rebate is now only $800. This
    kind of confused me: did the manufacturer really
    withdraw the $2000 rebate and replace it with
    a $800 rebate? Or, the $2000 rebate is still
    available to the dealers, but they are just less
    willing to share it with the buyer because
    of decreased inventories?
    Lastly I want to say that it has been really
    educational to read this forum.
  • 08accord08accord Member Posts: 2
    I picked up a 08 Accord EX Sedan Automatic, 4cyl with cloth interior for $22,840 + TTL (Total of $24,493) here in Dallas. It included the trunk tray, wheel locks, mud flaps, door edge guards, body side moldings, moonroof visor, window tint, pin stripe, and paint and fabric protection. Basically got the car at invoice and paid $600 for the accessories all installed.

I think I got a pretty good deal...what do you guys think?
    did the manufacturer really
    withdraw the $2000 rebate and replace it with
    a $800 rebate? Or, the $2000 rebate is still
    available to the dealers

I don't know that we ever got confirmation that the dealers did get a $2,000 incentive for the VP. I searched the previous posts here and didn't find anything to that effect.

It seemed like the dealers got $2,000 on higher trim lines like the EX-L V6, because numerous people bought those cars at significant prices below invoice.

It's possible that Honda didn't find it financially beneficial to pay out $2,000 for a car that costs a lot less and for a car that may have been in shorter supply.

We know they are getting $800 for the VP now, so this may be why your quote is lower than before Sep 4th.
  • terrypm1terrypm1 Member Posts: 79
    What kinda deal did you get on a 2008?
    Please share it with us.
  • wellesleywellesley Member Posts: 8
    I think VP's did have a 2k dealer cash bonus, I bought one for 2500 under invoice.
  • 9503095030 Member Posts: 6
    I stopped by the local Honda dealer this afternoon and the '08 in the showroom had a dealer pack ("appearance package" ) of $700 plus an ADM of $3K over Monroney.

Walked out to the back lot and the '08's there only had the $700 pack over MSRP. "Oh, we've got to change these" was the reply. Fair enough... They are free to ask whatever they think the market will bear. Basic Supply and Demand 101.

Interestingly enough, all the I4's on the lot were J-VIN (Japan) and the V6's were all Ohio made.

Maybe this is a West Coast thing... I'm in the SF Bay Area. It would be interesting to see if the rest of the country gets J-VIN I4 Accords.
  • dnwang12dnwang12 Member Posts: 6
    Just bought 2007 Accord EXL V6 Auto from VIP Honda in NJ. Paid $22375+destination charge+tax+title+doc. fee, is this good deal? $22375 is best price I can get now, I called 4 to 5 different car dealers and no one can offer lower than $22375.
  • oarsdadoarsdad Member Posts: 64
    The I4's at my dealer here in Michigan were also built in Japan.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    A number of off-topic posts have been removed. If you posted off-topic, your post was deleted and you'll get an e-mail.

If your post is gone, and you didn't receive an e-mail, then your post was a reply to another post that was deleted.

Let's stick to the topic. Honda Accord: Prices Paid

Thanks!
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

with or without navigation?
  • vinnbellvinnbell Member Posts: 10
    It's a ok deal since it's more like $23000 included dest.
  • ncruzerncruzer Member Posts: 18
    You heard it here first.

08 Accord looks like a Hyundai Sonata, it will be a BUST!
    by this time next year Honda will be discounting like the 07. :shades:
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    The O8 EXL 4-cylinder navi I test drove in Louisville, KY, was built in Ohio.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    I was wondering who would be the first to slam the new Accord!

To each his own...
    i really usually avoid trolls... but...

it will be a BUST!
    by this time next year Honda will be discounting like the 07

These 2 statements don't agree. The previous gen accord was a huge success. So if the '08 sells the same way, I don't see how that can be a bust. Honda is certainly making good profit on every '07 it sells. Nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of other manufacturers who would sell their souls for such a "bust."

• hmd8676hmd8676 Member Posts: 4
    I don't understand why ppl ask if the price they PAID for a car is a good deal. Do they need some kind of reassurance or something? It's not like you can return the car to the dealer after you drove off the lot.