Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• 74357435 Member Posts: 40
    bug 4
    thanks for the prompt reply. i agree with you the mystic green or the pol metal would look great with ivory too. i am getting quotes for msrp less 2,000 but cant find the color i want. i may have to stay with the alabaster silver and gray that i have on my 2006.
  • recadanrecadan Member Posts: 10
    Most cars with that kind of milage and age will start to break down somepoint...pretty soon

But if your budget is $3500 firm, this is a nice car based on your description.
  • grmercgrmerc Member Posts: 2
    $138 over invoice on a brand new '08, and your questioning if it's a good deal? Sure it is, after they pay the floorplan on the car, they start going into holdback to pay the salesperson who spent his/her time helping you pick out the car, make sure the equipement is right, and the car is clean for you, and the other business expenses associated with running a successful business.

Also, would everyone on these forums please finally agree that the destination charge is part of the cost of the car and is non-negotiable. Edmunds says so on it's pages, yet everyone seems to think that it can be negotiated...
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Also, would everyone on these forums please finally agree that the destination charge is part of the cost of the car and is non-negotiable. Edmunds says so on it's pages, yet everyone seems to think that it can be negotiated...

It can't be negotiated and should be included in prices posted along with any dealer doc or prep fees.

In another forum, someone posted they were offered a car for a $200 or less over invoice (sounds good) then said the dealer charges a $695 doc fee! Ouch. Posting the price of the car with destination and dealer doc/fee included helps keep the prices straight. The TTL stuff is different for all of us, so "OTD" prices don't do any good.

Dennis
  • whatsthedealwhatsthedeal Member Posts: 3
    Is it typical to negotiate a price before or after special ordering a car?
    I'm looking to get a 2008 4 Cyl EX AT Coupe but dealerships around me have only a few, so the chances of them having the right ext&int colors are slim. I've never bought a car before, so I'm not sure how it typically works. I'm afraid if I don't talk price before i put my deposit down, they will hit me for all I got once the car arrives. On the other hand, getting a price before hand will be no suprise at all. If that's the route to go, do i need to just get them to get a quote on paper so they honor it once the car arrives? any help would be great. thanks.
  • forgopforgop Member Posts: 16
    I certainly wouldn't buy it if I knew it hadn't been maintained to the standards that it has. I'm trying to keep it in a price range that will be something I can get by for $3-4k. Any input on what kind of mileage one could expect out of a well maintained Accord? Is 250k miles doable? That would last me at least 5-6 years.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I think you negotiate the price in advance. Don't be surprised if they ask you for a deposit. On a special order car, obviously you are getting exactly what you want on a hard to find model, and so you may have to pay a bit of a premium. I special ordered an 08 Accord Sedan EXL manual with Navi, white on white. There was not a single one like it in the country. My dealer gave me 1000 off of msrp. There's a mark up on this car of maybe 2300 or so, and so the dealer got a decent markup, more than many people are paying at this point. But I was willing to pay extra to get exactly the colors and the options I wanted. Plus I liked my dealer, who I've bought from before, and I wanted him to get a paycheck out of it. He treated me really well, and was patient in showing me all the features, and didn't pressure me all. My car is expected in about 2 months. It may take about that long for yours too...
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    You have to talk price before ordering a car and put a deposit down. The negotiation process is basically the same. You sit and cordially talk about what price is mutually agreeable. If they have the car on the lot, then you move forward to prep the car, arrange for the final payment method, and sign 'all' of the paperwork.

If they don't have the car, then they put it on order and take a deposit.

Same front end negotiation process.

I ordered probably 70% of the vehicles I've bought. Depending on what you are buying, when in the model year it is, the supply they have, their future allocation, and how close they are to making current month and quarter objectives.....their desire to 'negotiate' varies substantially.
  • tanngrisnirtanngrisnir Member Posts: 5
    "I special ordered an 08 Accord Sedan EXL manual with Navi, white on white."

Um, hang on here a sec. Did you mean to say 'white on ivory', or actually custom spec an actual 'white on white'.

The thing is with Honda, there really is no 'special ordering', as they come in trim levels, and only the highest trim level in any model will allow options, of which there are only usually 2 (Nav and/or RES). The dealer will trade with another dealer for a car it doesn't have, but no actual order goes to a factory (ala Volvo, etc...) and is then placed in a production schedule.

I sell Hondas in CA as a second job, and we've already had a few 08 EXL white on ivory Accords come through.
    tanngrisnir: yes, it's the ivory interior. But did you have any 08 sedans with the Navi with the 5 speed manual?
    Ah, good point. I'd overlooked that you stated the manual. No, we haven't had any white ones yet (or any manual w/Navi), but we did have one manual non-Navi in a diffferent color that our fleet guy snapped up before we ever even saw it off the transport truck.

Good thing, it likely would have collected dust on our lot.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    They can order the less popular combinations (such as manual transmission with Navi), but they will not be built until they have 30 cars ready to be built that way. Then they ship one of them to the dealer that "ordered" it.
    They will not build it for just one person.
    Yes, those of us who prefer a manual are a dying breed, but Honda makes some of the very best for us.

How are sales of the new Accord going in your neck of the woods? My dealer seems to have a fair number in stock at this point...
    So it sounds like how long it takes for my white on ivory manual navi to get made depends on how fast 29 other people order 08 EXL manuals with the navi in various color combos. It could take a while, although there have been two other special orders of that kind mentioned on this site. So that's just 27 more to go, and I'm hoping they'll get orders for those in the next few weeks.

Although Honda may not "special order" for one person, if it all works out the factory will be making at least one car in my particular combination that it wouldn't have made otherwise. That is if it all works out. I'm now worrying a bit about those other 27 orders. My dealer guessed it would be late Nov. or early Dec. I hope he's right. But if it takes longer I'll wait. If they never get up to 30 orders, however, I guess it won't get built...
    30 orders in the entire country may not take that long. A couple months might be plenty of time. They will eventually build at least 30 of every possible combination regardless and then they can ship your "order" to the dealer from that run of cars.
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    You know, I've bought lots of cars over the years and I always obsess about them for several months after my purchase and monitor all the relevant web sites. Fact is, I love cars and talking about cars. I'm even a bit proud of my 08 Accord because I love the car I got for the price at which I got it! But, if i could offer one piece of advice . . . DO NOT gauge the purchase price you paid for your new Accord by the posts on this, or any other, forum.

I'm not saying these forums are bad or that you can't learn anything from them. . . Certainly, this forum shows you that a reasonable negotiator who is willing to walk away from a bad deal/dealership/salesman should pay a little less than MSRP for a new 08 Accord. But, I'm not sure it tells you anything more than that.

A good example is post #17748, above. Benjaminh feels he has to justify why he paid $1000 over invoice for a new 08 Accord. MY GOD Benjaminh-- that's fantastic! Its one of the best selling cars in America and the model year is only one month old -- you apparently got exactly the car you wanted, from a dealer you like for a $1000 over invoice. You don't have to apologize or try to explain away that deal!

Even if everyone on this forum is being absolutely truthful about their "deal," you are still listening to only a VERY small fraction of the people who are buying Accords. Plus, the people on this forum usually are 1) very invested in and enjoy the purchasing process 2) very informed about the process and prices and 3) the type of people who like to talk/write about it on web forums. How many people have posted the price they paid on this forum? Not very many!! The fact that they are posting may be an indication that they are proud of the deal they achieved.

This is a complete guess, but I would think that the people who post their deals on this forum are among the top 5% deal-getters in the nation. Further, most are from different market regions and most purchased their car from a different dealerships or salesman using different financing options etc. etc. etc. Who knows. . . .truth be told, those who post the best deals on this forum may be dating the sales manager :D I hope you see my point.

My $.02 on price is this. If you are deal-seeker, try not to pay MSRP on the new Accord. If you get the dealership to split the difference between MSRP and invoice, I think you did a VERY VERY good job. If you do better than that, make yourself a little awards ribbon to hang on your rear-view mirror, use your extra money to enroll in a negotiation school and change careers.

If you have the unfortunate luck of being just another guy/girl who simply wants a great car at a fair price, get educated, get quotes from as many dealerships as possible, don't be afraid to show those quotes to other dealers, don't be afraid to walk away and, most importantly, after you have achieved the best price that YOU (not someone else) can do on an Accord . . . have fun driving it!!!
    For sure negotiate the price on any car purchase.

There are not that many color and trim options - and something like you want does not seem like it would be that hard to find.

I usually have good luck finding what I want a some dealer, but I don't limit myself to just a single dealer or even just to a single city. Go where the prices are lower and/or the selection is better.

Dennis
    "How are sales of the new Accord going in your neck of the woods? My dealer seems to have a fair number in stock at this point... "

We have about 15 or so, and started getting them around a month ago, but our entire auto plaza has been literally torn up for complete redesign and construction (roads, sewer/water/electrical mains, lighting, landscaping, new dealership buildings, etc...) so our traffic is massively down. It's simply too much of an adventure for most local people to come in because of the earth moving equipement, one-way thoroughfare, etc...

We've got the cars, we just can't get the people in.
  • carlsonddscarlsondds Member Posts: 24
    Great point! To add to that, on pricing. I am planning on paying 1K off MSRP. Nothing at all to brag about, but I am fine with that. Love the car and can afford it. I would really love the car if I could get it at the price some are talking about on here! haha
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656

Who is this everyone who is saying that?

I can't recall seeing any posts where people say that the destination charge isn't a part of the cost of the car.
    Folks sometimes (and some dealers often) refer to the price w/o include the destination charge. When folks post prices here without the charge then folks go nuts trying to figure out how you can get such a great deal. When dealers do it they hope to rope you in and then add the charge (along with a doc fee) when it is time to sign the papers.

Dennis
  • thomasr1950thomasr1950 Member Posts: 76
    I ordered my 08 Sedan v-6/Navi on 9/15. My dealer swapped with another dealer. The car was build on 10/02, dealer got invoiced on 10/09. Expects it in next week. As far as special order all i know is he was going to contact the factory & request it for me. Then he said he would see if the color we wanted had been ordered by another dealer, if so he would try to swap. The other dealer swapped. So that tells me that Hondda does build them when ordered & i work in mfg. so once they get an order for 30 i'm sure that is when they start building them. But i can't see them builing all 3 v6/navi's w/auto at once. I'm sure going down the assemably line they are able to put in navi or just the regular audio system. Espcially w/automation the way it is. I was not required to put a deposit down & i'm not sure what my cost will be. If it's not what i want to pay then i won't buy. I do want the dealer to make a profit, they have to make profits to stay in business. :)
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    I had a lengthy discussion about special orders with a sales manager before I bought my 08 Accord. Don't know if the information he provided is wrong or right, but this is what he told me: Honda will not add or subtract any option, color, interior or feature from any car on their production line. To keep their costs down, they make an entire run of one, identical type of Accord. After that run is done, they move on to the next run, all of the same color with identical equipment and features. I badly wanted an silver EX-L with 5-speed manual. He explained that manuals only make up 5% of the production and Silver manuals make up only a fraction of that number. Silver w/ manual transmission w/ black leather make up only a fraction of that fraction. So, I would have to wait until the factory got approximately 30 requests for silver w/manual w/ black leather and/or until the factory just happened to produce a vehicle that, according to their marketing research, only a fraction of 5% of their market would buy. In other words, he encouraged me not to hold my breath. He did say I would likely have the vehicle within 6 months.

There was one other option. The dealership was able to locate an "allocated" 5-speed EX-L in dark grey. That car was supposed to be going to a dealer in Ohio. But, apparently, before delivery, Honda allows any dealer to submit a special request that will change the allocation of the car to your dealership --- BUT only if the dealership submits paperwork establishing that they have a confirmed buyer for that vehicle (thus preventing any dealership from simply cherry picking the best cars and selling them on their lot).

My dealer "influenced" my decision to give up on a manual transmission by throwing in the automatic transmission and a rear wing spoiler for free, if I would agree to buy an automatic from their lot. I just can't get past a great deal and they had a wonderful silver w/ black leather on their lot (with only 5 miles on the odometer). . so I bought the automatic. Haven't regretted it since . . I love it!
    A lot of car makers do this. The dealers get production slots and can (in some cases) specify some of the variables about the car. If another dealer has a slot where they are building a car (not already sold) like you want then your dealer can swap their slot with that dealer and get the car for you.

The 330i I used to have was like that, it was ordered for a TX dealership and was already on the boat from Europe when my dealer swapped out to get it for me. I got the exact car I wanted (well, no cold weather package since no TX dealer would order that) without having to wait long at all.

If Honda does build them in batches (see above post) then the Honda dealers don't have the flexibility some other dealers for other makes do in changing options and colors up to a lock in date.

A lot of dealers will just try to sell you what is on the lot, or order what you want and you wait, or try a locate and see if there is a car on a lot someplace they can swap for (giving that dealer either another new car or a future production slot). The really good dealers can pluck a car out of production for you when one can't be found the other way. I think a lot more dealers COULD do this, but they prefer to force you to either wait or preferably take something on the lot or at another close dealership.

Dennis
  • mppedersenmppedersen Member Posts: 25
    Since people want to know what my price was:
    EX-L Manual, non navi
    Invoice: $22,705
    My deal was: $23150 (included dealer installed OEM mudguards and wheel locks, my guess is those cost the dealership around $100 total) + $289 processing fee + $635 destination + $183 Maryland Tag+Title +5% MD sales tax = $25,461

My best guess is this was around $634 over invoice.

Not the best deal I've read about on here, but I'm happy with it, considering how hard manuals (expecially EX-Ls) are to come by.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Was that on the 08 accord?
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    Folks sometimes (and some dealers often) refer to the price w/o include the destination charge. When folks post prices here without the charge then folks go nuts trying to figure out how you can get such a great deal.

Yes, but your issue is not the issue that grmerc was speaking about. He was saying that "everyone" thinks that the destination charge is not a part of the cost of the car. I don't recall seeing anyone mention this.

Whether people post additional fees with the quote they received is a completely different topic than whether the destination charge is a legitimate charge.
  • juxtojuxto Member Posts: 16
    I've bought a lot of cars over the years and laugh when I read some of these boards. The entire "invoice gimmick" is just that - a gimmick. IF a dealer sells a car "at invoice" he stands to make approx 20 percent on the car. It's been that way for years. The invoice is nothing more than a very successful gimmick in this industry. Go to a furniture store and ask to see the invoice on a couch. They'd laugh you out of the store. I bought my last accord at a great price from a friend who was a dealer. As he told me no new car leaves his lot without $3500 profit as that is what it takes to keep the doors open. For somone to think they are going to buy a car for $100 or $500 more than the dealer paid for it they are either absolutely dreaming or related to / sleeping with someone at the dealership. What the dealer paid for the car is not and should not be anyone's business. As a consumer, your concern should be what YOU are willing to pay for the product.
  • mvbrockmvbrock Member Posts: 5
    Just finished with a dealer in Mass and ended up with 2008 Honda accord ex-l auto including mudguards....out the door price of.....25,900 that includes dlr prep and $635 charge too.......no one came close to it...
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    You are quite right. Dealerships/ Honda Inc. do not disclose accurate invoice prices to customers. Honda Inc. also gives out incentives to dealerships who sell its cars.
  • mppedersenmppedersen Member Posts: 25
    Yes, this was on a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L Manual, non navigation.
  • scttprscttpr Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 2007 Honda Accord EX-L V6 for $23,500 + tt&l ($25,200 out the door). MSRP 27,995 +1,696 in dealer adds.

This is the loaded model with all available features except navigation.

I bought from David McDavid in Irving, TX - a typical auto dealer...Agreed on a price, went to the dealer, was told a higher price with my trade-in (I can't figure that math). Went in the next day after confirming the price and bought it no problem.

Great car at an awesome price -- can't complain.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Wow, some people are getting amazing deals on the 08's already which is great. Meaning when its time for me to make a move in the next few month, I'll have a bit of room to work with. So really I should be able to get the 4cyl Navi with not too much of a problem. Some dealers want to move the 08's and that is a way to advertise the 08 too. My dealer hasn't sold that many, the same ones from release are still on the lot. I have yet to see any of them on the road. Although I have thought the new altima was the new accord until it got closer to me. I have to admit, many cars look alike these days.
    was told a higher price with my trade-in

lol, must have been a really bad trade-in. They're charging you to scrap it.
    Or they are paying off a loan on the trade-in that is more than what they value the car.
    Uggh....should have thought of that.....glad it's friday.
  • jlewelling1jlewelling1 Member Posts: 65
    Basic Model--got it here in DC for &19,681 plus freight, tax, title and tags. Walked out at $21,300.

Not the greatest deal in world I guess, but it seemed decent for a brand new model.

Used the internet to find the best price and asked my dealer to match it, which he did with a written confirmation of the offer.

So...did I get taken?
  • iandeleoniandeleon Member Posts: 20
    Well, I'd say you got a really good deal...

This is a link to NADA on what the Invoice price is compared to MSRP...

http://www.nadaguides.com/NewCar/NewCarPrices/HONDA/2008/AccordSedan/2008_17547_- 1195_new_293491_01030218195060.aspz?LI=1-20-37-5056-0-0-0

I'm new to all this "NEGOTIATING A CAR" deal, but $2,000 less than MSRP for a BRAND NEW CAR... I'd say you win...

No one in Houston is willing to negotiate much, because of the HIGH DEMAND for the COUPE...

I'm looking at having to buy it at MSRP ($28,945)...

After contacting through emails, so far I may be able to get a 2008 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 at the Drive-Out price of around $31,000 with TINT and WHEEL LOCKS included. Again that's DRIVE-OUT, which is after all fees and TT&L and options added.

What do you all think??? Am I crazy???

Initially I was talking to them asking for FINAL DRIVE-OUT PRICE to be AT MSRP, so dirve out would be Around $28,945. But, they were like, "OH, there is no way we can do that... this car is in too much demand..."
  • km283km283 Member Posts: 5
    jlewelling1 - Could you please tell me which dealer in DC you got this deal? I am hoping to buy the base model in c couple of weeks in DC and would really appreciate this information. Thanks and Congratulations on the new car !!
  • blckeagleblckeagle Member Posts: 2
    Back home with a 08 Accord LX Sedan Auto and paid 20,250+TTL (I'm in TX). Out the door price is below 21,750 (MSRP is 21,795). DON'T BELIEVE TO DEALERS WHO SAY 'these ones just arrived so msrp is the fair and firm price' :mad: .
    I'm happy with the deal and the car is great :shades:
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Where in Tx did you purchase from?
  • iandeleoniandeleon Member Posts: 20
    The thing is this...

1) Where in Texas did you get your car? I live in Houston.

2) Right now, there are A LOT of Sedans at the lots and I don't think they'll have as many Coupes.

It's supply and demand... Low supply of Coupes, More demand, less room for negotiation... :(
  • sujithsujith Member Posts: 2
    hi abhi,
    i bought my accord lx 2007 to two weeks back from crown honda in charlotte for 19 k OTD including reg+tag title.they still have 07 models left so check with them if there is a SE , go for it.
    There is less demand for coupes, but since the 2008 coupes got a later start than sedans, there is a shortage anyway.

You will never see the lots filled with a big supply of coupes because they cannot sell mostly coupes.
    "I've bought a lot of cars over the years and laugh when I read some of these boards."

I've sold a lot of cars over the years and laugh when I read comments like yours.

"The entire "invoice gimmick" is just that - a gimmick. IF a dealer sells a car "at invoice" he stands to make approx 20 percent on the car. It's been that way for years."

(A) Please break down the various revenue streams that collectively result in this 20%.
    (B) A percentage is simply a statistic, and no percentage applies universally to either all dealerships or all Honda dealerships. It's actual gross amounts that matter. 20% on $16,000 Fit? In a word: no.

"Go to a furniture store and ask to see the invoice on a couch. They'd laugh you out of the store."

The retail car sales market is closer to a commodity exchange than other types of retail sales, with far fewer, far bigger players than the furniture market, and is manifold times more influenced by both information on and communication enable by the Internet.

" I bought my last accord at a great price from a friend who was a dealer. As he told me no new car leaves his lot without $3500 profit as that is what it takes to keep the doors open."

Your friend lied to you, plain and simple. Again, $3500 in a new Fit? Talk about dreaming.

"For somone to think they are going to buy a car for $100 or $500 more than the dealer paid for it they are either absolutely dreaming or related to / sleeping with someone at the dealership."

It's not a false either/or scenario. Depending on the inventory, recent sales, time or year, and a number of other factors, yes, someone could buy a car for practically what the dealer paid for it.

"What the dealer paid for the car is not and should not be anyone's business."

Huh? If a dealer chooses to disclose information to a customer as a means to finalize a deal, that's the dealer's choice. If a customer asks for invoice or other similar information, he/she's not out of line, meddling or behaving inappropriately. The management can always say no. That may or may not change the dynamic of the negoations, but it's the dealer's choice.

"As a consumer, your concern should be what YOU are willing to pay for the product."

Among plenty of other things.
  • douglasnydouglasny Member Posts: 10
    I contacted several dealerships so far today in the NY tri-state area and the best quote I receivd on the LX-P was 20,720

Invoice - 19,362 + Dest 635 + auto @ invoice 723 = 20,720

Dealership said that price + tax, tags and title, no doc fee.

I'll post again when I go in and check it out - let me know how much below invoice anyone has gotten.

Anyone know the current 60 month finance rate offered by Honda for top tier credit?
  • whatsthedealwhatsthedeal Member Posts: 3
    so if you're going for a new 08 coupe that needs to be ordered from the factory, it would still just be BS if they try to pull the low supply crap, right? i mean, if you special order, the car is coming from the FACTORY and not out of their lot. shouldn't dealers be giving some discounts on the coupes to make sales if its coming from the factory?

I'm going to get the trim and color I want, even it takes long for it to get here, but why should i have to pay msrp. :confuse:
    If you take one off the lot, then they don't get stuck with that car. Most dealers get xx days free floor planning (financing) and after the car sits for more than xx days they have to pay the manufacturer for it no matter if it is sold or not. Heck, the local MINI dealer even has a couple of them discounted because they have been on the lot for a few months (options/colors not desirable, I guess) but they get full price for everything else.

Also if you take one off the lot they make the profit now, not in weeks or months down the road. They also don't know what the sales will be like then and what they would make on the sale then - but they know for sure right now.

But it depends on the dealer, a good dealer that offers deep discounts does not have much that sits around - they move them out as fast as they get them in. The exception may be a odd color or trim and they can also offer extra discounts if they have too many of one trim or color or something.

In most states a deposit on a car is always refundable, so they could order you something that may be hard to sell, then you change your mind, lose your job, get hit by a bus, or whatever before it comes in. Why take the risk for a low profit sale?

A lot of it can by how goal driven sales is - on a monthly basis. You have to worry about making sales today and making your number for this month. Worry about another month then. Ever notice how most salesmen try to disengage if you tell them you are thinking about a new car in a few weeks or next month or in a few months? Why waste time with someone not ready to sign papers and pay money and take a car now?

I agree you should get exactly what you want, but I would think calling around every dealer in 200 miles or having one do a locate on the car you want would be just as easy and get you a car quicker. Since the sale is right now, the cost of getting the car to you may be offset by getting a better deal. I buy cars from all over, whoever has the best deal on what I want. I have flown in, signed papers, and driven home in the new car. I have paid car carriers for cars sight-unseen, and I driven to get them. Whatever nets me what I want for a good price when I want it.

Dennis
  • nleachnleach Member Posts: 2
    Is an accord EX-LV6 2008 without navi, but with wing spoiler, splash guards,and moonroof visor for 29000.00 out the door in TN a good deal? Need to know . Plan to buy very soon or should I wait a month?
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Tad bit high... wait a few months to save even more.