Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• nkvnkv Member Posts: 24
    I was in the market for a new car since summer. Initially wanted to buy a Camry but decided to wait until fall when '08 came out. Then I noticed the redesigned Honda Accords and since getting VSC was high on my priority list, I leaned towards Honda. By the way, Honda has done the right thing by including VSC as standard safety feature starting with '08 Accords.

After test driving both the 4 cyl and V-6, I liked the smoothness of the latter and made up my mind to get that at the right price. I wanted to get the vehicle at around invoice price. Since there was a very low supply of '08 Honda Accords, most dealers were quoting Sticker price.

I told my local dealer in Bradenton, Florida that I would pay invoice and would wait until that time. In the interim I also got a bunch of quotes from several dealers over the internet. Most came back around sticker or may be $500 less. I politely declined all offers. There was one quote from a auto mall in Coral Springs that came at invoice + $500 dealer fees.

I got in touch with my local dealer and showed them the offer I had. They initially refused to match it but after a lot of back and forth, finally agreed to match that price.

As we were discussing the price, the sales supervisor kept telling me what a waste of time it would be to go such a long distance to get the car. He said it would cost him money to get the car from out of town. I understood that to mean that he was going to get the car from Coral Spring as that was the only one car in the color I wanted in entire state of Florida. However, there was one more that got shipped this way from Honda this week. He conveniently omitted from our discussion that that was what he intended to swap for from a dealer just south of here.

I got mad at him today for not disclosing that to me. In the grand scheme of things it did not change anything except perhaps I could have bargained for a better price. Since I was upset, he threw in tinting glass service for free. I will be taking delivery on Sunday.

I paid $24153(including destination -- which is KBB invoice Price)+dealer service fee of $500 + TTL for total out the door price of $26500. From my experience, I can say that for those who are getting quotes of sticker or sticker+, do not give in to these prices. Get multiple quotes over the internet, and be patient if you can. As the supply situation improves, with proper planning and right information, you should get these highly sought after '08 model Accords close to invoice. Good luck.
  • dreamcar5dreamcar5 Member Posts: 69
    Did u pay destination of $635?
    yes of course. I am under the impression that destination is a non negotiable item which every dealer pays. May be some one with more experience or knowledge of inner workings of car business would be kind enough to shed some light on this subject.
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    I like to confirm this as there is no sense for me to pay this outrageous destination $635.

Well, the destination fee is charged by Honda to the dealer and they will pass it along to you. There's no mark-up. I don't know why you feel it's "outrageous". When you buy something online do you consider the shipping fee "outrageous".
  • delchicagodelchicago Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a new 2007 EX Accord V4 with sunroof around Chicagoland area. I have an offer for 20000.
    I think you are right. That is why KBB and Edmunds and other online price sites mention that in their price information.
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    As far as I know, KKB invoice price for '08 V6 EX-L w/ Navi is $28,035 OR $26,035 w/o Navi. How did you come up with $26,500 OTD? Probably V6 EX-L is about $2K more expensive the V6 EX.
    Yes, It's true. I rechecked KKB. EX-L is $2K more expensive than EX. Specs are same. Dont know why?
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    $26,500 is a good OTD price...
    08 EX V6 invoice: $23,500
    Destination: $635
    Total $24,135

The maximum price I can pay is $24100 + title + tax
  • bobp7bobp7 Member Posts: 41
    Hi:
    Did you get an answer? I live in Westchester and am looking to buy a 4 cyl EX-L Nav.
    Lots of discussion here about getting lower prices but the dealers are all much higher.
    It dealers continues this way I will simply buy a different brand. (happened twice before with stubborn Honda dealers - and I got Toyotas instead and they were great).
    One thing to remember is that we, as buyers, have a choice. While some may feel Honda is all they can have I am open to choices. After all, it is just 1 car.
    Thx.
    Bob
    Best price, Dreamcar5. Can you give us the dealer name? Thanks.
  • sl372sl372 Member Posts: 4
    Hello rahul,

I like to know which dealer you bought from. I'm in the market for the same car in Chicago area.

Thanks in advance.
    which one, in which state? $1000 below invoice, great!
  • delchicagodelchicago Member Posts: 2
    Dear Rahul,
    Please let me know the name of the salesperson/dealer,
    Please read carefully to compare apples to apples. I bought '08 Accord EX V-6 not EXL!
  • rog2867rog2867 Member Posts: 34
    thedon3

I am getting it from honda of essex. Getting it monday. Will let you know how it all goes.

hondaofessex.com
  • bechanbechan Member Posts: 4
    Dreamcar5 -- Thanks.
    Went to the local dealer in Indianapolis,

Invoice: $25,415
    Destination: $635
    Total: $26,050

But the dealer asked for $26,595(before 6% tax and $155 title), the difference of $545. I am very puzzeled here as I compare the price I paid for my 07 Oddyssey EXL.

The 07 Oddyssey EXL is for $26,158(please check Oddysey Paid Experience). I got VCM(3 and 6 cylinders) and 25 MPG on this minivan. Why should I pay extra $438 for this 08 Accord. It is not as comfortable as the van, only saves 6 MPG and extra 4 cycliners in VCM.

I think the true value of 08 Accord EXL V6 should be around $24K at the most. Honda needs to have $2K incentive for 08 Accord too. :mad:

Well, I plan to buy this one for $24K. Please wake me up sometime in 2008. :shades:
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Is there another vehicle you like as much that you can get for $24K? Just buy that now.
    It will be 4 or 5 years before an incentive close to $2000 at the year end clearance and the MSRP might be $1000 higher by then.
  • mcpdjohnmcpdjohn Member Posts: 44
    Why are you puzzled that the dealer wants to make $545? $545 over invoice is a very good deal on an 08. A lot of people in various areas around the country can't get a price anywhere near that low. The dealers need to make some money on the cars they sell, or they go out of business. If you want to pay invoice or less there's probably a few 07 leftovers still available.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    The dealer is making more than $545, as "factory invoice" is NOT what the dealer pays for the car. There's holdback and manufacturer incentives based upon the dealer's sales volume. Unless you actually see the paperwork that's delivered with the car, you really don't know what the dealer paid - and, they are not going to show that document to any potential buyer.
    I agree. You will be lucky to get invoice price if some one is desperate for a sale. Not too many EXL V-6 appear to be at dealerships at the moment.
    Dealers do make 3% on the hold back but they do also have showroom/staffing/sales/prep expenses customary with running a car business. That is why most dealers tack on a dealer fee of a few hundred dollars on invoice and try to stay firm and collect it.
    Regardless, the car is new, popular and not in very abundant supply. Maybe in another 3-6 months, they will be fully stocked with 2008s and below invoice deals will not be rare.
    At the moment, there is little reason to sell for those prices when the priority is to clear out the 2007s so they have room to fill the lots with 2008s.
    Why would anyone buy a leftover 2007 if they can get a 2008 for below invoice?
    :confuse: Such imbalance of pricing may cause big confusion among customers.

Either 07 Oddyssey EXL needs to be priced up or 08 Accord EXL V6 needs to be priced down.

This is a very confusing marketing strategy
  • lxdriverlxdriver Member Posts: 8
    well folks i purchased an ex black on black accord sedan tonight. a little over $23k if you include virginia taxes,tags,title,etc.

id like the leather but the dealers offering the best deal didnt have them.I pick up tomorrow.
  • louisnlouisn Member Posts: 110
    Becasue you can get a 07 for $2000 or more under invoice if you're in the right area. Go to carsdirect.com and plug in different zip codes. Price variance on many cars depending on area. One poster flew a thousand miles to save a thousand dollars.
  • iandeleoniandeleon Member Posts: 20
    Man,

I can't get anyone to go even $200-$300 dollars below MSRP, on a 2008 Accord Coupe V6 here in Houston!

I went to a dealership, showed them a price quote from another dealership with a Drive-Out price of $31,002.15 and the Manager said he can ONLY GIVE ME $50 off that price. That's not a typo... I said $50! He said the price I showed was an aggressive price.

Then, the manager tried to tell me that another dealership sold the 08 Coupes for $7000 more than MSRP, I gave him a look like "really?" and I told him that same dealership gave me a quote closer to the other quote that I got, which is at MSRP. After that, when the salesman I was dealing with kept going to the manager to see what they can do for me... EVERY ANSWER WAS A FLAT OUT "NO". I think the manager's ego got hurt for some weird reason. I walked out.

I feel bad, because out of all the dealerships this salesman has done a lot to help me out. So I told the kid that I was dealing with, that I'd think about it and get back to him at the beginning of the week.

Can't blame the manager I guess. Gotta blame the RICH PEOPLE who will pay 'whatever' for the car.

Guess I gotta pay MSRP... But, you know, I don't even know if I'll get approved for even that amount anyway, because when I did an online pre-qualification for a loan with Bank of America, the pre-qualification came back with a MAX of only $26,000! I asked for $32,000 when I went on to the actual APPLICATION... so we'll see.

If not, may have to drop down in trim to the Non-Leather, Non-Automatic Seats, Non-V6, and Non-18 inch wheels, 2008 EX Accord Coupe... :confuse:

Okay... I've vented now...
    Well, since you are agreeing to the price, you are adding to the blame.
    If the Houston dealers won't go below MSRP. you should probably wait and you could probably find one out of the area enough cheaper to pay for a one way car rental or plane ticket and the cost of driving back home.
    You can also just wait. Why are you so desperate to have a 2008 coupe right now instead of in 3 months from now?
    Well, I guess just for the simple fact that I'd like to get into one now... fine I'm guilty of that. And I give you that I'm somewhat adding to the blame, but...

1) Registration is up this month on my 99 Accord. And Inspection is up in January.

2) Money I get for my 99 Accord will help pay off one credit card and lower the balance of another credit card, which would save me a lot on the interest that it is sucking up from me.

3) 3 months from now, isn't going to make a difference. Not here in Houston, not on the coupes. At the rate that they are getting them in, the demand will always be higher than the supply. I think the only time I'd get a deal is Year End Clearance, when they get in the 09's.
    Demand will not always be higher than supply on the coupes. If Honda believes they are losing sales on the coupes because they aren't building enough for demand, they will build more once they determine this.
    The reason they build way less coupes than sedans is because the demand for coupes is way less. They could have made a 50/50 mix of produced coupes and sedans if that's what was selling.
    The supply is temporarily unusually low because the coupe was just released. The first shipments of a new model are the smallest and the demand is also highest at the introduction of a new model. Combine those two events together and that creates the worst possible time to buy the car if you want a good deal.
    Well, that very well may be, but...

I guess it's just the idea of having the new car now, paying off 1 credit cards, and FINALLY lowering (even if by only a 1/3) the one credit card that has had a huge balance for years!

You know what though, it's not even really just looking to get $1000 off or $2000 off or even getting it at invoice. Just show me some effort with even $200-$300 off...

Either way, like I said, I may not even get approved for the amount of the V6, even though I can fit it in my budget and I have EXCELLENT credit... :cry:

I'll keep you all posted on what I've done... you can laugh at me then... :(
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    This is an election year, which historically has yielded uncertainty in the marketplace and a general economic stagnation. I would expect a very competitive year as all the manufacturers are fighting for the smaller number of buyers.

I'd hold out as long as you can for better car dealing.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Buy on bad news. Sell on good news.
  • gssethigssethi Member Posts: 25
    Just ended up buying(~3 days ago) the 08 Accord EX I4 Sedan for 21.7k + TTL. I believe this is under invoice.

I started with 21.5k and was determined on it (didnt move a $ above) but my father offered 21.6k and then 21.7k :(

Dealer finally accepted 21.7k. Car also includes Rubber door moldings and mud-guards at that price.

EDIT: 21.7k price includes destination fees. Only thing we paid above was the TTL (taxes, title and registration and $55 doc fee)
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    gssethi,

What state are you in?
    You got an excellent deal with your purchase. The invoice with destination on your make and model is $21533 and you got rubber door moldings and mud-guards in your purchase price of $21700. Congrats and enjoy your ride!
  • gssethigssethi Member Posts: 25
    SF Bay Area, California

Yes, I know the deal I got was great. I just didnt bulge a penny from my price but unfortunately, my father did :( (we paid $100 more than what I would have but thats fine....atleast he is happy with the car).

The ride is very comfortable and handling is superb. The steering is much smoother than my G35. One thing that will kill on this car are the tires (225-55-17 93V rated Michelin Pilot tires are stock and "V" rated tires burn a lot)
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    This is a good OTD price.
  • stevedc34stevedc34 Member Posts: 25
    Hi I live in PA. I am thinking of buying the older 2007 Accord EX L V6. What should I pay for this car now that the 08's are out? Thanks.
  • nickwoodsnickwoods Member Posts: 13
    hi after reading this all the post i am setting on the fence for 3-6 mons to buy accord the feds may lower the rates next week again?" question concerning resale down the road straight v-6 or v-4 with nav.....what would you do????
  • emoticonemoticon Member Posts: 6
    But, you know, I don't even know if I'll get approved for even that amount anyway, because when I did an online pre-qualification for a loan with Bank of America, the pre-qualification came back with a MAX of only $26,000! I asked for $32,000 when I went on to the actual APPLICATION... so we'll see.

I was prequalified by Bank of America for $17,000 @ 7.69% for 60 months. I then asked for $21,000 and they said no. So, I went to Honda and was approved for $19,400, and Nissan approved me for $21,700. And the rates were much lower, 5.9% for Honda and 2.9% at Nissan (both for 60 months). Now I have a 2007 Honda Accord and a 2007 Nissan Altima and Bank of America doesn't get a penny of my money.
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Hello,

Can you provide the name of the dealership. I am in the SF Bay Area too.

Thanks.
  • gwaccordgwaccord Member Posts: 1
    iandeleonm,

Consider yourself lucky that they want to sell it at MSRP. I visited Gillman Honda here in Houston, they marked up 08 sedan by $2000 and coupe by $3000 above MSRP. I saw a guy here post that he got it at invoice for a EXLV6 sedan in Dallas. Maybe we should go there.
  • surfwagon56surfwagon56 Member Posts: 12
    You're not really paying off your credit cards, you're just shifting debt from one form to another. Yes you've paid off credit with probably a high interest rate, but you've shifted into making payments on a depreciating asset. Will you still be as excited about the car 3 or 4 years from now, knowing your payments have been higher for years because you couldn't wait a few months?

I paid $1000 over MSRP for our 2002 Odyssey EX-L back in 2002, and I'll NEVER buy a car again that has just been released. Problems with the power doors, new transmission at 40K miles, and Honda's vaunted value retention...hah! Think of all those poor saps in the so cal area who paid $10K over sticker to be the first to own PT Cruisers, and saw their cars depreciate $20,000 over 3-4 years.
  • tamil1tamil1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Gsethi,

Is it 2008 Accord EX Sedan
    or 2008 Accord EX-L -Sedan ? W / Wo navigation?
    Thanks...

That's good to know... encouraging... only thing is that I'm asking for $6000 more than what I was pre-qualified for.

Interesting though, that the dealerships helped out more than the bank.

I'm starting to get the impression that dealerships are bloodsuckers... at least here in Houston.

Did you ask for a certain amount OR did you ask to see what is the most that you could get approved for?
    Wow, finally someone else from Houston...

You know what... the thing about Gillman though, at least they told me straight up that they can't go lower. Gillman in Rosenberg told me they'd match on the Coupe.

I'm going to go back to Goodson, to see how much I can get approved for. I just realized, I'm sitting here dealing for a car I'm not sure I can get financing on! :confuse:

Anyway, have you test drove any of the cars? And what do you think about buying that 2008 EX-L V6 at MSRP?
  • emoticonemoticon Member Posts: 6
    Did you ask for a certain amount OR did you ask to see what is the most that you could get approved for?

I asked for $17,000 at first because I was planning on buying used. When I found out I could get a new Accord for just a little more than what I was planning to pay for used, I asked for more money. B of A was the first place I applied because I was wary of the dealers, too. I was denied by Honda when I applied online, but when I went to the dealership, they told me it was a mistake and I was approved with American Honda Finance. I was preapproved by Nissan online (NMAC), but they don't give you the terms--you have to go to the dealership for that.
    I understand that I'm shifting debt... But if I do it now or soon, I'd be getting a new car (which I've wanted for YEARS now) and at the same time, deleting one credit card and lowering another, with the money I get from selling my 99 Accord.

I REALLY don't think a few months will make the difference here... I'd PROBABLY get $500 off MSRP max in the next 3-4 months. I think the only way I'd get Invoice is at YEAR END CLEARANCE...

And yes, I'd still love the car 3-4 years from now, because I'm still happy with my 99 Accord, which I've had for 9 years.

Listen, yes I'm anxious to get into this car that I've fallen in love with. But, waiting is still an option, if I REALLY want to get a GOOD DEAL. It's like someone said in here, what is it worth to you?

The issue is, I just want a dealership to show me a LITTLE effort. If the Sales Manager would've said " we'll give you the $300 dollars off that quoted price"... I would've bought it right there. As little as that may sound, at least you showed effort.