Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rnickeymousernickeymouse Member Posts: 32
    I called each dealer and asked for an internet sales rep then sent directly to that person. At least one either didn't read or ignored my request for out the door price.
    I requested Silver with Grey cloth interior, no extended warranty, no loan, cash sale and no extras.

Regarding price paid on the 2008 Sedan, It seemed earlier in the thread folks were getting as much as 300 off invoice for the 4cyl Sedan. Would this be pretty much the best I could expect for LX-P?

I'm So CAl. I thought $22,700 would be a good out the door price.
    Any tips would be appreciated, thanks
  • skoretskskoretsk Member Posts: 38
    Good info alamocity. Not sure what you mean by "older units", can you explain? Thanks!
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    My understanding is that older units are vehicles that have been sitting on the lot for 30 days or more.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    Where is the dealership in CA that is offering you the invoice pricing on the 08 sedans? Thanks.
    So far I have nothing firm yet. One dealer said lowest they could go is $500 over invoice after I asked for $300 under.
    Does edmunds invoice price of $20,085 for the LX-P include the destination charges?
    No, the invoice on Edmund's would be $20,720 if you add the destination charge. Also, In Ca (at least in northern CA) there is about another $250-$300 that you should add to the Edmond's number to come up with the dealer invoice. That figure is for advertising cost that the dealers are paying Honda, I was told by a couple of dealers.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    If the market demand supports $250-300 over invoice that's fine, but invoice + advertising fee isn't invoice.
    They don't tell you about their hold back, so the don't need to tell you about their advertising cost either.
  • japsjaps Member Posts: 29
    its what Ive said.....invoice deals are a myth...but you will see them soon on the Sedan. Probably by summer
  • jojoyijojoyi Member Posts: 2
    Can u tell me the dealership in MA? Will be purchasing two EX-L V6 w/out Nav, want to try to get same or below ur great deal. Thks again for ur posting.
  • skywalker4skywalker4 Member Posts: 10
    I just picked-up my new Accord EX i4 auto yesterday, 11/29/07. Got it for $100 over invoice ($21,621 + $635 dest + $100 = $22,356). I also had to pay $250 license, title and doc fees (the max allowed in Ohio, probably the standard in nearly every dealer here) plus sales tax. Financed through Honda of America for 5.34% 60 months with no prepayment penalty, so I can still put it on home equity later if I want to.

Did the negotiating over email and bought it from Hidy Honda in Beavercreek, Ohio. A great buying experience with no surprises. The car was ready when I arrived and was showroom clean! I completed the inspection and test drive, finance and closing transaction, and new owner orientation in less than 2 hours. These guys will get top-notch ratings if Honda sends me a survey.
  • japsjaps Member Posts: 29
    what I find funny is the apr rate from Honda finance. I have a 840 fico score, no bills and honda f&I guy gave me a rate of 6.9. I passed. Why lower rate in Ohio?
    Why do you have to get your financing through Honda if their rates aren't good? You may be able to do better with a preapproved credit union auto loan or ELOANS on your own.
    I can get 6%-6.4% at my credit unions. I have seen ELOANS advertising lower. I don't really care if Honda finance can't beat it. It's their loss.
    Later on Honda will offer below market financing as an incentive, but for now the don't need to do that. They car has only been widely available for a couple months.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    "Person said top tier rate for Honda on Accords is 6.99."

Nonsense! I received 5.44% (financing about $11K) for 48 months, from American Honda Finance, on my 2008 Accord two weeks ago.
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    "Finance guys/ gals" do their basic math. I am going to buy my dream car '08 Accord V6 sedan EX-L w/ Navi soon beause I have finished my finance arrangement at my best interest @ possibly cheapest OTD price at or just a little bit above cost. 3 years ago on Dec. 24, 04 I took delivery my '05 Accord hybrid. But now my young spoiled son "stole" it from me. So now, I have become a "carless guy" who drives an oldie Accord V6 '02 @ 60K miles yet it runs like brand-new because I have "pampered" it with super thick pampers & lotion & fragrance. I despearately need another powerful V6 Accord to enrich my fleet of Accord. Sorry I like the coupe better for its shape but cant buy it due to my "gray..." things.

John, my buddy in SCA, the one and only, race with me on or before Xmas. AMEN ! :-)
  • barginhunterbarginhunter Member Posts: 1
    I think I just got a good deal.
    2008 Honda Accord V6 EX-L without Navi
    Blue w/Gray Leather
    MSRP - $28,695
    I paid - $26,139. which included dest charge and no doc fee.
    Sales people were excellent!!!!
    Deal at Honda Cars of Bellevue, Nebraska
    Congrats ! I got same offer in Northern California for same trim line, same price.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    We got 6.44% for 60 months with Honda.
    If you believe a casual inquiry to a dealer, then you will leave money on the table. I definitely got 5.34%, no prepayment penalty with a 20% down payment. Just like the car price can be negotiated, the interest rate can be negotiated if you have good credit... and it helps to be serious (ie actually buying the car) and to have other options for financing the purchase. I told them I was going to write a home equity check, so the finance guy knew he had to make it low if he wanted to persuade me to take their financing (he also commented that I had the highest FICO score he has seen). I took along my trusty TI BAII plus financial calculator and confirmed that the payment calculations were correct.

I am still sitting on the fence about whether to pay it off with my home equity loan at 6.73% since there is no prepayment penalty on the Honda financing. After the tax deduction the "real" interest rate is a little tess than 5%, but it is adjustable quarterly, so there is a risk that the rate could go up in the future.

After I was done with all the closing paperwork, I asked the finance guy if the dealer makes any profit by getting the customer to take the Honda financing. He said a dealer can earn extra profit by quoting a higher interest rate to the customer than the rate given by Honda. He assured me that there was no margin in the rate he gave me.

PS Thanks to all the people posting on this forum. I spent a good amount of time reading the posts here and got a good feel for what what was happening in the market and kind of deal I could set for a target.
    It could be due to additional dealer profit by marking-up the interest rate. See my other post from just a few minutes ago.
    I almost didn't take it. I was going to write a home equity loan check, adjustable quarterly, currently 6.73%. The Honda rate is fixed at 5.34% for the life of the loan, which is why I did it. I can still pay it off with a home equity check at any time.
    Which dealer in Northern CA is offering the EXL V6 to you for a little over invoice? Thanks.
    Honda of Oakland, Capitol Honda, Los Gatos Honda
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    It does not matter how much under or over invoice the car is... what matters is the OTD price.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hope everyone will stop by our Dealer Ratings & Reviews page to let the folks in your area know of your experiences - postive and negative!
    No. Posting OTD prices are useless because they only apply to that city, state and dealer.
    The prices need to be itemized so you can see what the dealer is charging before their local government fees are added.
    How much is the selling price of the car, how much is "dealer fees" and how much of it is government registration fees and taxes.
    The sales price of the car would be more useful since each person can calculate their own local sales tax and registration fees to that number.
    Also details on any trade-in that would have either positive or negative effect on the deal and what financing was involved at what rates also give the big picture.
    Just saying "I paid $23,500 OTD" is useless.
    I concur. OTD is a meaningless term.
  • fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    You remind me of another guy who was here right before launch telling us that we will not be seeing invoice on the Accord until next year!! Maybe you are intentionally closing your eyes to facts on this forum: people have paid invoice for the Accord!! I do a lot of driving and i see a whole bunch of sedans and coupes at dealerships. With this mortgage foreclosure mess, dealers are doing whatever it takes to get you in a car. NOBODY should be paying more than invoice on an Accord sedan or coupe. Common, its an Accord we are talking about not a Ferrari!
  • thomas33thomas33 Member Posts: 9
    Hi all,
    Does someone know the good deal for 2008 Honda LX-P 5A in Orange County and Los Angeles, California? Thanks in Advance :)
    In your local taxable area it does matter.. however outside your local taxable area compare OTD taking into consideration taxes. skywalker4 was referencing to to their local area.
    "I concur. OTD is a meaningless term."

Not if you are comparing in your local taxable area.
    This is not a local community forum, so for clarity, it would be much more useful to itemize the price out so others do not have to try and guess or "reverse engineer out" the amount of money going to the dealer as the selling price vs the amount going to pay taxes and registration (assuming others even know where the car was purchased and what local taxes and fees are there) plus and minus how a trade-in influenced the transaction.
    I never said or inferred this was a local forum....I understand what you are saying however the poster referenced local area.... so if a person was to shop the local area OTD is the key....itemization of price is useless if you are comparing in the local taxable area.... in this case OTD is the key. If a poster wanted to compare instead of referencing the price paid then take into consideration the itemization of price in a different taxable area. I was referencing a specific post.
  • isatisat Member Posts: 1
    Hi. Congratulations.... You said it was one hundred dollar over invoice, could you tell me what invoice price you were given..and what was your drive out price???

THANKS
    I just purchased an Accord LX-P at Honda of Santa Monica for $20,516, came to 22,500 OTD. I used the internet method.
    Itemization is not useless even in the local area. If you want to also add it up and list a grand total OTD price in addition to itemization, fine, but quoting only the OTD without a break down is not helpful.
    Even if someone was quoting a price for a car in my local city, I would still want to see where the total came from and what was involved in the deal such as financing trade-ins and dealer add ons.
    Just quoting an OTD price paid without details is almost as bad as just quoting a monthly payment.
    I guess this is where we see differently...for me OTD is the key vs fretting over fees if I am comparing in the local taxable area... I suppose the next dealer can have lower fees however have a higher OTD price..if you want to go with that dealer so be it.
  • alexthemdalexthemd Member Posts: 12
    I am in South Carolina and have several dealers who can get me OTD for $25,000 with mud guards, trunk tray, mats and wheel locks.

If you figure we have a tax cap of $300 and "document" fees of $289, and tags x-transfer at $49 that puts the car itself (metallic polish metal on grey) at $24,362.

Does this sound like a pretty good deal?

Thanks
    Geez, why not just give the breakdown of where there numbers came from instead of hiding it? Others will want to have all the details and can add the numbers and decide for themselves. No one said they want to pay a higher price at another dealer, but they want to know the full picture of the deal people are posting.

Trade-ins, dealer-provided financing and other parts of the deal that you omit when just listing OTD prices can make a massive difference in what is and what isn't a good deal.
  • jncarsjncars Member Posts: 13
    I agree, the OTD price is meaningless to me
    because I don't live in that locality. It is only good to those few people that live in that locality. This forum is for all, not just those in a certain locality.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Let's get back to actual prices paid...

What is it with you Accord shoppers? ;)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Who thinks $24,400 is a good price on EX-L 4cyl with mud guards, trunk mat, floor mats and wheel locks?

Thanks
  • uscratchuscratch Member Posts: 27
    Is this total OTD price? If it is, it is unbelievable price.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Its not MSRP, whats not to like about that deal. Be glad their dealing. Some dealers are treating them like some rare sports car. Their so hot, they can't even keep them on the lot. In fact, they have none on their lot, because they fly off so fast. Literally flying, Be careful. The sky'll be crowded tonight. I am sure....lol

I have seen 2 out in the flesh since debut in my town.

If they are dealing below MSRP, than be happy.
    No, the OTD is about $600 more.
  • uscratchuscratch Member Posts: 27
    Wow, you really got an incredible deal for EXL. I say just go ahead and get it now. $25,000 is a steal. I had hard time getting $26,000 OTD last week.
    Thanks. I will let everyone know how it goes down later this week.
  • fusionacidfusionacid Member Posts: 11
    What dealer in Southern California is offering an EX V6 without Navi for invoice or a little over invoice?
    25k OTD... grab it!
    You've again contradicted yourself. The $25K couldn't have included taxes. By your definition then, it is not an OTD number.

OTD continues to be a meaningless catchphrase without knowledge of all of the components.
    Some people are concerned about itemization and some are concerned about OTD.... different points of view is all.
    OTD is not a "meaningless catchphrase"... OTD is a price EVERYONE pays. "25k OTD... grab it!" I was saying 25K is a good OTD price (this is everything to drive it away INCLUDING taxes) hence Out The Door ;)