Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    thomas33thomas33 Member Posts: 9
    Below is the email I received from Power Honda Costa Mesa, CA, yesterday:

Here are the numbers:

2008 Honda Accord Sedan 2.4 LX/Auto-MSRP-$21,795.00
    Your Special Internet/Fleet price is- $19,999.00 Plus Tax and License
    ( This special price includes the standard destination and handling charge of $635.00 ).

Doc fee-$55.00
    DMV fees-$232.75
    Tax @7.75%-$1,554.19
    Total-$21,840.94

It seems a good deal, isn't it? I'm asking for EX 4cyl model price as well and will post...

Does anyone have any comment? TIA :)
  • Options
    rnickeymousernickeymouse Member Posts: 32
    Below is the email I received from Power Honda Costa Mesa, CA, yesterday:

Here are the numbers:

2008 Honda Accord Sedan 2.4 LX/Auto-MSRP-$21,795.00
    Your Special Internet/Fleet price is- $19,999.00 Plus Tax and License
    ( This special price includes the standard destination and handling charge of $635.00 ).

Doc fee-$55.00
    DMV fees-$232.75
    Tax 7.75%-$1,554.19
    Total-$21,840.94

Is that for the LX or LX-P?
    The LX-P adds alloy wheels, security system, full power seats, body matching door handles, better seat fabric, ...
    also shouldn't tax be 8.25%?
  • Options
    willdennwilldenn Member Posts: 2
    Bought tonight!

Vehicle price $26,350
    Doc fees: $197
    Total drive-out price: $28,399.00

Bought from Honda of Princeton (NJ), worked with Rich there, real nice guy.

We are very happy with our new Accord!! :)
  • Options
    willdennwilldenn Member Posts: 2
    Oh yeah, in my haste to post, forgot to say it was a V6...
    :blush:
  • Options
    jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    This is a good OTD price.... no trade was involved right?
  • Options
    thomas33thomas33 Member Posts: 9
    The quote for EX from Power Honda Costa Mesa, CA:

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. Here are the numbers on the EX:

2008 Honda Accord Sedan 2.4 EX/Auto-MSRP-$24,495.00
    Your Special Internet/Fleet price(Invoice) is- $22,471.00 Plus Tax and License
    Doc fee-$55.00
    DMV fees-$247.75
    Tax @7.75%-$1,745.77
    Total-$24,519.52

Current finance rates at 5.99% A.P.R. for up to 60 month from Honda Finance.

The Honda come with a 3 years, 36,000 miles warranty and 5 years, 60,000 power terain warranty.

Orange County, CA has 7.75% tax rate.

Any thought would be appreciated. TIA.
  • Options
    leecurrieleecurrie Member Posts: 15
    A dealer in the twin cities told me there will be a special APR for 2008 Accords starting on the 15th.

Has anyone else heard this? He offered a quote on a 2008 Accord Sedan LX-AT for $19,888 (after destination charge but before Tax, title, fees) but I want the better financing too.
  • Options
    bahtybahty Member Posts: 1
    Did someone have experience buying 2007 Accord in december? If yes, please share:)
  • Options
    japsjaps Member Posts: 29
    any special apr rates always start at beginnig of every month. That is standard practice.
  • Options
    stephanie2167stephanie2167 Member Posts: 15
    I am so glad to see you posted this. This is the dealer that I have checked with and haven't yet asked them for a price (just started looking). I'm looking at the 2008 Accord V6 EX-L w/out Nav.

If you don't mind me asking, who are you dealing with for internet/fleet prices?
  • Options
    myranassermyranasser Member Posts: 15
    2007 SE I4 $18900 + TTL = $20700 NYC on 11/30
  • Options
    waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    Anybody know what APR rate you are getting if you are going through Honda's own college graduate financing. I got a rate of 10.49%. Is it reasonable, or should I look elsewhere?
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    See the red message below. We are not supposed to post the names of salespeople here.
  • Options
    stephanie2167stephanie2167 Member Posts: 15
    Oops! Sorry! I'm new. :confuse:

I guess I just really wanted to know how it was working with Power Honda in Costa Mesa.
  • Options
    uscratchuscratch Member Posts: 27
    What do you guys think about buying an invoice price an 08 Accord EXL 4cyl coupe? Total OTD price is 26k exact. It's hard to find a color I wanted, so I have to get what's available.

Is Polised Metallic with Ivory leather look good? I know I have to go and look at it myself, I wanted silver with black leather, but hard to find. Black on black is available too, but I don't know about black.
  • Options
    stop with the otd stuff. Find what invoice is, then negotiate up. Then report number paid. Forget tax and stuff...no one cares. As far as buying for invoice....aint happening. You'll get close on the Sedan, but not the coupe. Still too new.
  • Options
    Did you contact all the dealers in states and negotiated? Depends on where you live, good deals happen.
    If you agree or not, buying the sedan at invoice is easy in Chicago land. Even less than invoice happens here. For coupe, some dealers are willing to deal at invoice. Do you homework, you will pay less.
  • Options
    "Find what invoice is, then negotiate up"

then you say

"As far as buying for invoice....aint happening."

This sounds a bit contradictory... it is more reasonable to negotiate down. If you are shopping for yourself and no one else then concentrate on OTD.... if you are shopping for other forum members post the price before taxes. Just remember that EVERYONE pays an OTD price.
  • Options
    what Im saying is...YOUR NOT GOING TO GET A DEAL AT INVOICE ON THE COUPE. Not yet.

When you negotiate the price, you always negotiate up from invoice, not down from msrp.....go to any site about car negotiations, and you'll learn that.
  • Options
    I never said or infered negotiate down from MSRP please
    re-read my post 18541..however it is not wise to negotiate up ...why pay more? just shop around and get the best OTD price... EVERYONE pays OTD and negotiate that.
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Personally, I thought Ivory cloth was too light and feared my family would mark it up to easily, so we went with black instead. (leather would be easier to keep, probably)

We've had black cloth interiors before and they hold up well, generally. It looks nice with the Polished Metal exterior. :)
  • Options
    gjagja Member Posts: 28
    Hey jb, who got the better deal? Oscar from Oregon who paid $24,495 OTD for a 08 Accord EX I4 AT sedan or Nancy from NY who paid $25,495 OTD for the same model.??
  • Options
    Hey gja, who got the better deal? Oscar from
    Portland, Oregon who paid $24,495 OTD for a 08 Accord EX I4 AT sedan or Nancy from Eugene, Oregon who paid $25,495 OTD for the same model.?? Since Oregon is a no auto sales tax state even you should be able to figure this one out.
  • Options
    gjagja Member Posts: 28
    Hey gja, who got the better deal? Oscar from
    Portland, Oregon who paid $24,495 OTD for a 08 Accord EX I4 AT sedan or Nancy from Eugene, Oregon who paid $25,495 OTD for the same model.?? Since Oregon is a no auto sales tax state even you should be able to figure this one out.

So I guess you do get the point that OTD prices are meaningless without knowing the LOCATION and the dealer fees, dmv fees and sales taxes associated with that LOCATION!
  • Options
    hondacoupehondacoupe Member Posts: 3
    Got a quote today of $20,900 plus tax out the door. Includes all fees, destination charges, docs etc. I don't live in MS so I wouldn't pay tax on the car at the dealership. Only when I register the car in my home state where the tax rate is 3% of new autos. With that figured in total cost is $21527

Invoice on the car is $19813.00

Quote from Pat Peck Honda Gulfport, MS.
  • Options
    Please read AND comprehend my previous posts concerning OTD prices (18505 being one of them).... OTD is not "meaningless" because we ALL pay an OTD price.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Just ignore these posts now.
    At this point, it looks really passive aggressive to keep refusing to itemize the prices after being asked repeatedly by multiple people.
  • Options
    donegaldonegal Member Posts: 49
    I would assume that the majority of car buyers purchase their cars within 100 miles of their home address. If this is the case, then comparing what the dealer offered in relation to invoice price (+ or -) or MSRP (+ or -) is the only fair way to compare what is the best price someone is paying for the car. The comparisons of the invoice prices and the MSRP prices must be with the same model car, the same options and the same accessories. Sales taxes, license fees, registration fees differ from state to state. Pennsylvania has a sales tax of 6% and our neighboring state Delaware has a sales tax of 0% for residents of Delaware. As a resident of Pennsylvania I would still be required to pay the 6% sales tax to Pennsylvania should I buy the car in Delaware. When you include sales taxes, registration fees and license fees and quote only the OTD price that you paid I can't use your OTD price to negotiate a price in my home area.
  • Options
    Some people want to purchase cars not taking into consideration taxes etc...

Some people are concerend about what other people pay for their cars.

Some people compare monthly payments.

We are all in agreement however their are differnt ways we percieve it.

Whatever happens EVERYONE pays an OTD price.
  • Options
    no one cares about using the term otd. All buyers care about is the msrp including destination, and the invoice including destination. Thats it!. Just report the price paid for the car without all the other bull you all like to report.(tax,doc fees,dmv)

EXAMPLE: 08 Accord Coupe Ex Auto
    MSRP including dest...24,595
    INVOICE including dest...22,366

If you paid 22, 566...then you got the car for 200 over invoice.

All the OTD crap is just that...nothing else matters other than that actual price paid for the car itself.....geeze
  • Options
    bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Perhaps our helpful Host could post a policy on this "OTD" issue. It probably needs a colored warning at the top of the "Post a Message" page clearly indicating the forum's policy. IMHO, tax, title and license are not relevant since they can't be negotiated and since they vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. While it doesn't hurt to have an OTD price, I think it is beyond dispute that some readers on this forum will misinterpret an OTD price (particularly if, for some strange reason, they aren't interested in reading pages and pages of thread arguing the topic.)
  • Options
    daffyseadaffysea Member Posts: 1
    What is best price in the Seatle area?
  • Options
    "Whatever happens EVERYONE pays an OTD price."

That's like saying "Everyone dies eventually." As the Hyundai ads say nowadays.. "DUH!"

That still does not make the concept of "OTD" any more useful without knowing ALL of the component figures. Without them the catchphrase "OTD" will forever be meaningless.
  • Options
    Did you read and comprehend my previous posts concerning this? HELLO!... you can breakdown an OTD price however way you look at it EVERYONE pays an OTD price.
    There is not a right or wrong way and we all have our differing opinions.
    I will continue with OTD prices... and you can continue breaking down the various prices... and we will continue to be happy ;)
  • Options
    alexthemdalexthemd Member Posts: 12
    I just want to say I see why both numbers are important.

I think everyone wants to know the price paid for just the car (and accessories) so they can work towards a similar or better price. Since tax and fees vary, I might pay $24,000 for the car and with taxes and fees end up paying $25,000 OTD. Someone else might pay $24,000 for the car, but since they don't pay sales tax, they might end up only paying $24,300 OTD.

I can't negotiate an OTD price of $24,300 in Viriginia. It would require them to sell the car itself for $23,500 to make my OTD $24,300. People want to know the price of the car only so they can negotiate around that number.

I know in South Carolina, I am negotiating at or under $25,000 OTD for an EX-L 190HP, I think that puts the price of the car itself around $24,300. I will be sure to post the details if I do the deed.

Either way, this is the internet and if you can't ignore people who bug you, you are not going to be happy very long.
  • Options
    read my lips....NO ONE CARES ABOUT WHAT ANYONE PAYS FOR TAXES, FEES, OPTIONS, WHATEVER.

You can tell just by reading this stuff, its being written by kids whose cars are purchased by parents. Any adult ignores this OTD crap....it means NOTHING!
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    It is a waste of time now. Others will post more useful numbers.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,200
    Anyone have an actual price that they paid? That's all we need.

Endless discussion about the best way to post? That just drives off the people that we need information from...

Really... give it a rest..

thanks!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I was quoted & purchased my Accord LX-P Auto for 20,516.

The only reason I was concerned about the OTD price was because of fees and extras the dealer might add on, like advertizing fees or destination charges.
    The info is helpful if from buyers in your area. In Los Angeles CA these extra charges including tax come to about 10 percent. 22,500 OTD for me.
  • Options
    The ONLY Destination charge that will appear in a price for a 2008 Accord is the $635 that is on the window sticker. It is a national charge made by Honda to their dealers, that is passed on to the buyer. It is identical wherever you go in the United States and is non-negotiable.

Dealer groups pay for local or regional advertising and try to pass on that cost (perhaps around $150) but you should be able to bargain and negotiate a lower vehicle price to compensate. It shouldn't be a deal breaker to a flexible sales manager anxious to meet end of month quotas.

Tax shouldn't be part of your calculation. You have to pay it to your state or local government. The dealer just collects it and passes it on to the government. Since rates are different across the country, discussing tax here doesn't help the vast majority of posters needing to know the prices paid for the vehicle.
  • Options
    The ONLY Destination charge that will appear in a price for a 2008 Accord is the $635 that is on the window sticker. It is a national charge made by Honda to their dealers, that is passed on to the buyer. It is identical wherever you go in the United States and is non-negotiable.

That brings up another issue that was confusing, whether invoice price included destination charges or not. Reading this forum, it seemed there were different opinions on this. Same with advertising fees. Also, the invoice for the LX-P on edmunds was $20,085, but the dealer claimed was 20,711. In the end I just took the best price from the dealers I emailed.
    One thing, compared to the cost of a new Accord in 97, I believe the best price I found back then was nearly $18,000 for an LX. This Accord is so much nicer than the 97, it's bigger, has alloy wheels, it has ABS, four wheel disk brakes, MP3 six speaker sound system, side curtain air bags. That's a price increase of less than 15% in ten years.
    Hopefully this Accord will make it past 200,000 like my last one.
  • Options
    felix_carfelix_car Member Posts: 16
    I4 automatic, LX, base options.

There are several options for the air: MAC AC, Body, Body&Feet, Feet, Feet&
    Windshield, Windshield.

The manual says when in Feet&Windshield or Windshield, the AC is
    automatically on, even thought the AC light is off, for anti-foggy purpose.

The manual also says that when it switches from Feet&Windshield or
    Windshield to Feet, the AC is still on. This sounds very strange/stupid.

The manual doesn't say for the Body, and Body&Feet. That means only Feet
    button has this stupid issue? In other words, when switching from
    Windshield or Windshield/Feet to Body or Body/Feet, the AC will
    automatically change to Off?

Any idea/suggestion?

thanks.
  • Options
    daveb22daveb22 Member Posts: 19
    I could not agree more. For example, I just purchased a 2008 Accord Sedan EX (Automatic) for $22,400 plus tax title and license in Upstate NY.

MSRP: 24,495
    Edmunds Invoice: 22,255

Therefore, I paid $145 over invoice. This is all that is relevant for most people looking to get the best price.
  • Options
    mattgg1mattgg1 Member Posts: 191
    donegal -

You are correct, people have different personal preferences for how they look at the numbers when buying a new car (OTD, payment, +/- invoice, ect.)

However, for purposes of posting in this forum, OTD figures are useless!

If you prefer to shop/negotiate a new car purchase using OTD numbers, by all means, go right ahead. Just don't bother posting them in this forum.

The purpose of this forum is to help consumers determine what other people are paying for HONDA ACCORDS, not what they are paying for sales tax, license plate/tag fees, or any other misc. tax/fee, which is what OTD pricing gives you.

It is very difficult, and often time impossible, to decipher what they paid for the ACTUAL car when only OTD numbers are posted.
  • Options
    "That brings up another issue that was confusing, whether invoice price included destination charges or not. Reading this forum, it seemed there were different opinions on this. Same with advertising fees. Also, the invoice for the LX-P on edmunds was $20,085, but the dealer claimed was 20,711."

Invoice price is just that, what the dealer is purportedly charged for the vehicle by the manufacturer. The Destination (shipping) charge is added to the invoice price to determine what the basic cost to the dealer is. It's the same as buying an item from a shopping website. You pay the posted price for the item PLUS shipping & handling.

$20,711 - $20,085 is $626, just $9 less than the $635 Destination charge (I can't explain the slight discrepancy). Therefore the dealer told you his total invoice cost, including the destination charge. It's just semantics.
  • Options
    There are more than one way to "skin a cat"... everyone has an opinion on things. Whether OTD or itemization is a preference. You like others before you have failed to read and comprehend my previous posts about this subject.
    Just let people decide on which way is best.

Just remember EVERYONE pays OTD.
  • Options
    What would be an acceptable odometer mileage on a new car. Less than 50miles, Less than 100miles?
  • Options
    some people just dont get it.....OTD means nothing to no one here, and if you get turned on by that, just keep it to yourself. I would suggest as the mod did, that anyone who continues to post OTD nonsense, posts should be deleted.
  • Options
    Invoice price is just that, what the dealer is purportedly charged for the vehicle by the manufacturer. The Destination (shipping) charge is added to the invoice price to determine what the basic cost to the dealer is. It's the same as buying an item from a shopping website. You pay the posted price for the item PLUS shipping & handling.

$20,711 - $20,085 is $626, just $9 less than the $635 Destination charge (I can't explain the slight discrepancy). Therefore the dealer told you his total invoice cost, including the destination charge. It's just semantics

I might be off $9 since it was from memory.
    It looks like I paid about $200 under invoice. Even though it's not the true dealer cost, I still think I got a good deal. Thanks
  • Options
    Have you read my previous posts concerning this [non-permissible content removed]? even a person like you with that derogatory name should have been able to comprehend it. If you do not like my OTD posts just ignore them... plain and simple.... comprehend?