Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    kilnkiln Member Posts: 41
    I didn't see where it said you can get the car for invoice which is what they are showing.

They state at the bottom "Costco Auto Program Dealers provide the Costco Member-Only Price." You have to use the service in order to get an actual quote. I don't have a membership so I can't request one.

I can't believe how low the prices are on some of these deals on the V6 EX-L. Quotes around here are 800 - 1500 over invoice. :(
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I don't understand.

Why would you not put a deposit down on an incoming car?

It sounds like you worked for an underhanded dealer that pulled dirty tricks!
  • Options
    We were a Costco dealer for many years and believe me, it's not a big deal. You can get the same price or even better on your own.

The dealers pay Costco thousands of dollars a year just to fly the Costco flag and where do you suppose those dollars come from?
  • Options
    vital411vital411 Member Posts: 67
    I went to that link but dont' see a price when i click on the EX-L NAVI 5 Speed Manual.
    It shows the invoice and the MSRP, and says "Ignore the MSRP, we offer exclusive member-Only Pricing" and next to that is a "Find Dealer" button.
    Maybe you have to be a member to see the prices.

Could you do me a favor and see what their price is for this EX-L Navi 5 speed Manual?

I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Andrew
  • Options
    pvd77pvd77 Member Posts: 11
    Hi,
    So is this Penske Honda here in SoCal--Ontario California. And how much did you get your '08 Accord Sdn EXLV6 Navi?
  • Options
    deliciousironydeliciousirony Member Posts: 4
    So I'm buying an 08 Accord LX for my mother who lives in central NY (I live in northern california).

Was going to go with a quote I got from Lamacchia Honda in Syracuse (21785 otd), but I see people on this board in other states claiming they are paying almost $1000 under that out the door.

Think I can do better?

Also, someone claimed they paid $21500 before TTL for an EX. That is $121 under invoice. I'd love to get her an EX if I could get that price. Think this is possible in upstate NY?

Thanks
    :lemon:
  • Options
    pvd77pvd77 Member Posts: 11
    My husband went to the Costco Car buying program last Nov and got a call and a price quote for $650 below MSRP - I have been getting better internet quotes.
    Then today, I did another submit request on Costco Car buying program and got a call from the salesman who does Costco program. He wants us to come in and won't say the price and keeps saying that thats the program - need to come in.
    I said we'll think about it, 'coz too much trouble to come in bec I am able to get price quotes via internet.
  • Options
    First of all, I'm not anti- Costco. Their company headquarters and flagship store is within walking distance of our house or a five minute drive. Jim Senagal's office is right there and I have seen him with his causal dress several times in the store. We spend a lot (too much) money in that place.

But, they like to get their fingers into every business, including the car business. Let's just say we ended the relationship because we like to do things our way.

The idea was to provide the customers with a stress free, professional way to buy their cars. We provided Costco and the customer's with a great price that was, of course, based on supply and demand. And, yes the customers had to come in to get a price.

The customers were to set an appointment, come in, identify themselves as a Costco member, pick out a car and then we would go over pricing with them.

That was how the program was designed. Costco figured that most shoppers were weary of the "old process" and just wanted a straightforward, easy process while getting a good deal.

And, sometimes, it actually worked that way. In most cases, however, all we did was give a customer a number to shop all over town!

That is exactly what a lot of customers want to do. They only care about PRICE and some will, literally drive hundreds of miles in order to "save" a few, and I mean just a few bucks.

We would spend hours showing cars, answering questions and test driving cars....in other words, doing all of the work, just to lose a sale for 50 or 100 dollars.

I've never seen a Costco deal I couldn't match or beat especially since we don't have to pay Costco to be on their program.
  • Options
    dreamcar5dreamcar5 Member Posts: 69
    Close to the invoice, I paid extra for other accessories.

It is a very nice and cool car. Like its Acura RL stuff inside(Bluetooth). :D
    more roomy than TL.

No surging and vibration problem.
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    You would let a customer walk out because your dealership didn't move $50-100?

That is crazy, and dissapointing that a salemen would be on such a high horse on price.

When dealers are stuck on price, and don't realize how it hurts them when they walk out that door. Word of mouth can be good or bad for a business. Just like Bob Rohrman, many have the same feeling about them, we wont' buy a car their. Attitude mean alot, and sometimes more than price.

At that point its the dealers problem, the customer is going to get what they want somewhere else. Customer service has gone to crap anymore. What happened to good service.

If someone had an excellent attitude, and gave me a little discount, just a little, I would totally buy from them. I am going to give them good reviews.

So keep the car on your lot, let them walk out the door, but realize, what goes around comes around. Customers are only set on price, because dealers make it so hard to buy a car. Maybe dealers can change that? Don't hold your breathe
  • Options
    amad1amad1 Member Posts: 123
    Why would anyone negotiate a price from MSRP down instead from below or slightly above invoice?
  • Options
    jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    "At that point its the dealers problem, the customer is going to get what they want somewhere else."

This is true... however the dealer will get what they want for the car from someone else.
  • Options
    "Why would anyone negotiate a price from MSRP down instead from below or slightly above invoice?"

I have often wondered about this also... one of the effective ways to negotiate price is using invoice but it seems like there have been a flood of people concerned about using MSRP as a baseline and/or concerns about the various fees. The way I perfer is OTD becasue that is what matters and we all pay it.
  • Options
    Let me explain what happens.

The customer uses the Costco program because they simply want an easy, quick deal and a good price.

So, we give them that price. They smile, shake our hand and say they will be back when they have more time to do the deal or they want to go home and discuss what color they want etc.

Instead, they run all over town using my number to shop. this isn't how the program was designed and that was my only point.

Why would the salesperson who gave them a good presentation and a good, Costco price be on a "high horse"?

With some people, whatever price you give them will always be "too high" and a price they will shop all over town.

Of course, if the person were to say..." If you knock off another 100.00, we have a deal" that they would probably drive away in a new car.

I don't have to hold my breath. I give my customers great service now and my repeat and referral business bears this out.

I'm not the only one either. There are a lot of quality stores out there.
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    First off, let me say I am sorry, that was not directed at you. But, rather stating the frustration towards buying a car.Dealers create their own problem, we just don't trust them, that is why I am going to get all the numbers I can get before making a final, WISE decision. I will totally not take the first offer. Typically the first offer is not too good anyway.

I am excited to get a new lease this Spring, but not excited about dealing with the dealers. I am not saying that all dealers are this way, but there are alot that ruin it for those good ones.

You are right, there are people that think the price is always too high, though the dealer might just be giving a huge deal. You can never please everyone.

Sorry, but the previous post was not directed towards you

Your a dealer?
  • Options
    No offense taken and no apology needed.

My advise has always been to ask family and friends for a referral.

If you see someone in a parking lot with a temp tag, you might ask them how their experience was and would they reccommend the store and salesperson who sold them the car.

I agree, there are slimy stores out there, no doubt about it.

This is the beginning of my 13th year in the same store selling Hondas.

Actually I run the E- Commerce Dept.
  • Options
    Dealers create their own problem, we just don't trust them, that is why I am going to get all the numbers I can get before making a final, WISE decision.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree. If you think that's bad, dealers are ridiculous when it comes to used cars. They seem clueless. They still don't seem to realise that the days of fleecing unsuspecting consumers, thanks KBB and Edmunds online, are over.

You have some of these sleazy scumbags that want charge thousands of dollars over wholesale and TMV prices for used cars that they have on their lots.

In my search for a car, I was advise that used cars are the way to go and most of my research lead me that way. I didn't want to take depreciation hit or the expensive insurance premiums from the purchase of a new car. But the kind rip-off artist that sales used cars makes you wonder.

I don't understand why a used car dealer would expect me to pay thousands of dollars of TMV when they don't do it themselves. If I was to trade in the very same car that they have on their lots, they would do everything they can to buy it from me way below TMV or wholesale vaule.
  • Options
    I just got quoted an OTD price of 26900 for the above listed car. Is that a good deal?

Thanks
  • Options
    This is the price that needs to be negotiated, forget about all that other nonsense. If you are financing you need to know how much the car is going to cost you, which includes taxes and fees. If you are comfortable with that number its should be easy. I'm going after competiting price quotes based upon the bottomline OTD price. Doing so helps prevent being ripped off.
  • Options
    Well.." thousands of dollars over wholesale" = Retail

That's how retail stores stay in business and make a profit. Thry buy at wholesale and try to sell at retail.

Also, it's not uncommon for a good store to spend 1000.00 or more in recondtioning to bring that used car up to snuff. Thsoe dollars certainly reduce the amount of gross profit in the end. I know last time I looked, we averaged around 1200.00 per car in recon.

Hopefully you can understand the need to make a profit to pay the overhead and stay in business?
  • Options
    Hopefully you can understand the need to make a profit to pay the overhead and stay in business?

I do understand that. However I think there's difference between making profit and trying just to flat out fleece someone.
  • Options
    I totally agree with you.

I guess it's a matter of how much profit a person thinks is acceptable and not "fleecing"

A dealer invests 15,000 into a used car and spends another 1000.00 getting it into top condition. Forgetting overhead, I guess we call could have a different opinion of what an acceptable return on investment would be.
  • Options
    A dealer invests 15,000 into a used car and spends another 1000.00 getting it into top condition. Forgetting overhead, I guess we call could have a different opinion of what an acceptable return on investment would be.

If they truly invested 15,000 in used car and spend another 1000.00 to get it detailed (yeah right!) that's 16k. Well then 16,600 is good price. That's $600 profit.

If a dealer sold six used cars in one week at $ 600.00 profit each that's $3,600.00 in profit in one week.

So don't come trying to charge 24K. that's exploitation and that's what they are doing.
  • Options
    The detail might come to 100.00 but the new brakes (that the guy trading it in didn't think it needed) replacing the cracked windshield, worn out CV joint etc can easilly top that figure. You would be surprised what a mechanical inspection can reveal.

Yeah, I think charging 24,000 would certainly be over the top and I doubt if anyone would pay that. I agree with you.

I do not, however, agree that a 600.00 profit on a 15,000 investment would be worth making the investment in the first place.

Now...take that car's portion of the overhead out of the equation and it REALLY wouldn't be worth the trouble.

I do appreciate your opinion on this. Seriously.
  • Options
    Here is example of quote I got from dealer on a used Lexus IS 250.

This is your Sam Linder Internet price quote

Must ask for Betty Booher for price to be honored.

2006 IS 250 / CG197B

$ 26,988 + tax Lic *

WHEN WOULD YOU LIKE TO COME IN AND TAKE IT FOR A DRIVE ?

(This quote includes destination charge)

*All prices are good for 72 hours on on vehicles in stock only unless otherwise stated.
    Price is plus tax, lic and applicable fees.

Not sure about credit? Apply online at

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this quote?
  • Options
    I can give a hoot what a dealer is "making" on a car as long as I am comfortable with the price.
    There is nothing wrong with shopping a price HOWEVER take into consideration that salesperson who took their time to show you the car.
    I guess for shopping to be more simple all dealers should sell at MSRP and there would be no need to shop price.
  • Options
    That's good. I don't expect you to give a hoot.

It's good you give the salesperson who spent the time with you to respond to what other prices you are hearing.

I agree, it would be a good thing to have fixed prices!
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Sales tax and registration are not set by the dealer. What you need to negotiate is the total costs that the dealer charges before sales tax and registration.
    The lower this is, the less you will pay for sales tax, and in many places, the less you will pay for registration if registration is based on the cost rather than a flat fee.
    If the price before tax is lower, then the price after taxes will also be lower.
  • Options
    rkh29rkh29 Member Posts: 9
    Question for isellhondas:
    Are you in Western Washington state? (near Costco headquarters, I thought you said).

If you are, could you comment on the prices some people are posting here on getting Hondas at below or a little above invoice & destination.

I have not gotten anything near that low from the Washington and Oregon dealers contacted so far.
  • Options
    I agree with what you are saying. If you were to go on Edmunds and find out the invoice of the car you want to purchase, for example, you knew the invoice price was 20K and you made an offer of $400 above invoice. That car would be $20,400+destination of say $600.the base price would be $21,000. In California the sales tax is 8.25%. Registration fees I believe are based on the price of the car.

What about any hidden fees that you can't discovery before going to the dealership that might increase the total price of the car once hit the car lot?
  • Options
    I have seen a number of posts suggested only look at OTD price, but I believe and total price of car, then tax and license info provides better details since the T&L fees vary so much state to state.
  • Options
    Did you see the price quote on that 2006 Lexus I got? Do you see what wrong with it? Oh btw, that quote came from a Honda dealer.
  • Options
    You're right. However what scare me are those fees that you find about once you hit the dealer. If there was a website that I could go to get a detail list of fees I'm expected to pay in addition to sales tax and destination charge, than what you are saying is truly the best way to negotiate over what I suggested before as the OTD price.
  • Options
    You are not going to get any kind of reliable price commitment verbally over the phone.
    Give up trying.
    When the dealer is ready to commit to a price in writing, have them disclose all of their fees, add them up and look at the total. Consider any dealer charges other than sales tax and license as part of the markup above invoice.
  • Options
    Yes, I could walk to Costco.

I'll try to choose my words carefully as to not incur the wrath of one of our hosts that isn't always appreciative of some of my comments.

Because of this, I usually steer clear of the Prices Paid Forums. I followed a link and it took me here recently.

Let me just say that some of the numbers are "over enthusiastic"

Don't ask me what we just paid to have a new roof put on our house because I honestly dont' remember.

A lot of factors get involved. People forget what they really paid. Maybe the trade in was a great trade that they wanted so badly they sold the new car at a loss.

And I think "oneupmanship" rears it's head once in awhile too.

And, sometimes, it's timing. If a person were here today during the Seahawk's playoff game, we would probably take almost anything just to log a sale!

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    I've been going over quotes via email. They always want you to call them or come down to the dealership. So bottomline, I should go for straight invoice? Or should I consider the profit the dealers has to make an sweeten the offer for them, not taking into consideration dealer holdbacks?
  • Options
    You don't have to try to calculate how much profit they are making or care.
    The day or weekend you are ready to buy, you can try for some price you want that includes dealer fees (such as invoice). The CA DMV website has a calculator you can use to figure what registration and sales tax should be:

https://mv.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/newVehicleForm.do

You can input the price you want to pay and see what the total should be with tax and license.
    If you are shopping OTD numbers, you need to see the breakdown so you can verify they didn't make a "mistake" (such as enter 5% sales tax or claim they forgot to add registration fees) in their OTD quote that they will "correct" to a higher number when you are ready to sign the papers.
    If one gives you the price you wanted then just take it, if not, keep shopping around until you find the one that gets the closest. Maybe none will sell for invoice including fees (example: $50 under invoice plus $50 doc fee), but one will sell closer to your price than others.
    You can shop around at several dealers that day and it doesn't matter if every dealership does a credit check on you because it will only count as one inquiry against your credit if it's all on the same day.
  • Options
    Thanks alot. It so good to have people like you posting on a forum like this.
  • Options
    sunnfunsunnfun Member Posts: 168
    I currently have an OTD price of 27689 on a 2008 4Dr V6EXL Accord W/O Nav. It also has mud flaps, body molding, wheel locks and trunk tray. Has anybody got a better price than this? (VA tax is 4%). I offered 27K and they said it would put them below invoice, I thought invoice was 25,500 on this car?
  • Options
    $27689 sounds like a very good OTD price. I was quoted $26800 before (TTL) which puts it over $29000.

What is the price of the car?
  • Options
    Not sure of the price of the car but I just got another quote - 26941 WITH NAV but not the other parts like mud flaps, etc.. This is also OTD. I'm thinking this may be a better deal because of the NAV (although I could take it or leave it as far as the NAV goes) Going off the Honda site and adding the other parts to equal the 1st deal would leave me at 27448 OTD which is 247 less than the 1st deal. I may go take a look tomorrow. They have one black on black.
  • Options
    e_thereale_thereal Member Posts: 17
    :lemon: The over enthusiasm and one upmanship comment is one that I've heard frequently from car salesmen! Are you sure it's not in your stand operating procedure manual as an excuse :)
  • Options
    Is this car:
    2008 Honda Accord
    EX-L V-6 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
    which Edmunds lists invoice without destination at $27,404?
  • Options
    That's it. The invoice I saw on the 1st car was 26000. I thought it was supposed to be 25500 but since they had the add ons, I figured that accounted for the additional cost. I was going on the 25500 invoice and adding tax (4%) and everything else and getting it for right around 27000 W/O NAV. Then the 2nd dealer makes the offer of 26941 WITH NAV. I am going to visit the dealer tomorrow to see if it's really true. I have friends that have bought from there recently and have gotten amazing deals. All of the quotes are OTD.
  • Options
    Well, I was asked a question and I answered it honestly.
  • Options
    How is $26941 OTD possible? Invoice on the car is 27404 (Navi) + 630 destination + 50 doc fee + 4% tax = $29208

What am I missing?
  • Options
    jt777jt777 Member Posts: 1
    Let me know what you think. This honda dealer offered me a 2-door accord coupe 4-cyclinder EX-L leather interior with tint, Splash guards, and door guards for
    $27,500 OTD. Do you think its a reasonable deal? invoice is $24,150 already. Then tax is another 2k so its around $26,100 after tax. Then license at $299 and doc fees at $369. so its around $26,800 including TTL and doc fees
    So with the dealer add-ons is another say $200 of their cost. So it costs the dealer around $27,000 for the invoice cost. they want $27,500 OTD so they are willing to sell it around 500 over invoice

do you think $27,500 OTD is a reasonable deal? it doesn't leave them with any profit if i do counter the offer for $27,000 OTD right?

what do you think?
  • Options
    jkisjcajkisjca Member Posts: 8
    I agree on the dealer's invoice cost BEFORE tax, title and license. The lowest quote I've received in No. Calif. is $27,700 ( 339 less than invoice) before TTL. This includes the destination charge and excludes any dealer added accessories.

$26941 OTD is an excellent price for an EX-L, V-6, with Navi. This price is more realistic for the 4 cyl. EX-L with Navi.
  • Options
    parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    I would be very interested to see how this goes. Unless there is a mistake in the price that will show up when he goes to the dealer on Sunday, maybe this is one of those "oneupmanship" that isellhondas was talking about.
  • Options
    waldo1984waldo1984 Member Posts: 1
    4cyl no nav 26,372.00 OTD