Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    alangpalangp Member Posts: 13
    If they give me two 9" LCD on the back of head support of driver and passenger seat for the same price, I will bite. Probably they will provide such option in the next model. The view angle is much better than the DVD hanging from the roof.
    By the way, I keep on seeing one silver Prius outside my daughter's gymnastic class, two child seats on the back with two portable DVD tied to the head support of front seats. Kids can definitely live without DVD (or IPAD) too, at least for a short trip.
    My wife dropped idea of having DVD just because of the viewing angle from the second row after she asked opinions from one of her friends with two sons (6, 2).
  • Options
    rangersacerangersace Member Posts: 34
    Hi microallhy,

I will send you my spreadsheet with all the email addresses I was able to gather and quotes recieved. Problem is I don't know how to send you a private message or contact you in any other way. I believe if you set up my CarSpace by just adding a picture I'll be able to contact you through my CarSpace. Aside from putting my email in the public forum I know no other way of contacting you.

Let me know.
  • Options
    haroyemomharoyemom Member Posts: 6
    Hi ardentazn,
    Thank you for your reply. I did get a good quote from the Honda Dealer of West Covina. Their quote was 35,675. I had sent this to 2 other dealers and both of them said that they wouldn't be able to beat that deal. However, the tax rate in LA county is so high. At 9.75, I will have to pay close to 3500.00 in tax alone. I am thinking about calling a couple of dealers in Ventura County and see if they can match or beat this quote. If they can, and I purchase the vehicle from them, I can save about 400.00 in tax.
  • Options
    ardentaznardentazn Member Posts: 14
    Hello haroyemom,
    I did end up getting mine (base EX-L)from them also (will finalize today). One thing to keep in mind is that they will try to tell you that the $35,675 quote does NOT include the $710 destination charge. You need to bring in other quotes that are better, and they will match it or get close to it.
    In terms of tax, the correct way to calculate is that they need to charge tax base on YOUR COUNTY OF RESIDENCE, not place of purchase. You need to make sure they do that before you sign. Then again, driving distance should be factored in as well...
    One particular deal I spotted worth mentioning... There is a Polish Metallic EXL with RES & Navi at the Nelson Honda (formerly Spirit, one of the lowest priced Honda dealers) in El Monte, CA... That one is kinda dusty when I test drove it... So I figured that they had it for a while. They could not locate the base EXL I wanted for the price I wanted. But they were willing to deal on the EXL with Navi and RES... I did not go into specifics (was offered $5K off sticker), but I am pretty sure you can get to $32K... Hope this helps!
  • Options
    jham1jham1 Member Posts: 3
    I just made the purchase on a new Touring this past weekend. In the Cincinnati Oh area and got $5K off the touring which MSRP's for $41,464 fully loaded. Thought it was a good deal and I took the quote to other dealers and they wouldn't beat it, so for my area I think I hit the max discount. Bought the silver (alabaster or something) and love it. Got a great trade in price, full blue book which help keep my taxes down to not much. They wouldn't do the Honda finance special at this discount price, but we used a credit union and got just about as good of rate. Good luck.
  • Options
    krishkrish Member Posts: 24
    The best quote that I have received so far is $32,948 + TTL from a dealer in Fayetteville, NC, which is 100 miles away from me. I used sending mails through Honda site, dealers website and Autobrag (requested 29 dealers). I did 2 offers ($32,190 and $32,250). Only 3 dealers have countered with new offer.

The other one that I received is about $500 less than the above offer, but the dealer is 250 miles away.

Getting tough. Planning to hit one or 2 local dealers tonight.
  • Options
    vedatakgunvedatakgun Member Posts: 1
    Hello;

I bought a 2008 Odyssey EX-L in October 2008 in Chicago. At that time, Honda had $3000 incentive. Sticker price was around $33,500 and invoice was $29,800. I bought is for $26,800. It was a good deal. Odyssey has been my dream car, kind of. I had to sell it after I got laid off and started a new job in Atlanta.

I figured out that Atlanta was a great market to sell a newer vehicle. My Odyssey was at 26,000 miles when I sold it after 18 months of use and I got $25,000 for it. It was extremely clean inside though and there was a shortage of Odyssey's at that time.

I wish I could buy one again in the future, when new design comes out. It looks like new Sienna is very cool, especially when their SE edition comes out. However, pictures for 2011 Odyssey looks great.

Take care of your Odyssey guys. It is such a nice vehicle. I would not mind driving it even without any children.

Regards,

Vedat Akgun, Ph.D.
  • Options
    hogan773hogan773 Member Posts: 255
    That's pretty ghetto driving around all the time with 2 portable DVD players lashed to the front headrests with twine. I can see breaking it out for a long drive, but to just leave them there all the time.....ghey.....

Instead of spending for Leather you could get some plastic trash bags and wrap them around the seats too.....
  • Options
    wantsdecentcarwantsdecentcar Member Posts: 8
    Price correction :blush:

Looked at my paper work today and didn't realize the car had mud flaps, wheel locks, and tray for hatch. $28,883.80, $30,328.65 OTD.
  • Options
    fompukyfompuky Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I live in coulmbus Ohio and just wanted to know how much other are paying for it.
  • Options
    chithralayachithralaya Member Posts: 7
    Here is a break up of a sale for an Odyssey 2010 EX-L with RES.

Total selling price 30265.00
    Dealer service fee 599.95
    Florida battery fee 1.50
    Florida tite fee 5.00
    Tag agency /
    Electronic filing fee 98.75
    Sub total 30970.20
    Sales tax 6% 1858.21
    Mvwea 2.00
    Tag title fee 352.00
    Sub total 33182.41
  • Options
    nobonobo Member Posts: 305
    edited April 2010
    Dealer service fee $599.95???

Sounds like it should be labeled Dealer additional profit $599.95
  • Options
    odysseyfamilyodysseyfamily Member Posts: 1
    This is what we got is Southeast Michigan:

2010 Odyssey EX-L (Red) with splash guards, all-season mats, cargo tray:
    Price+Dest: 29799
    Doc Fee: 190
    Tax: 1799.34
    Title/Reg: 191
    OTD: 31979.34

Finding the color we wanted wasn't easy. I did all price negotiations over email.

Good luck!
  • Options
    reflectionreflection Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased my Odyssey. Price was about $33,600 OTD. (includes 3% tax, doc fee, destination, title/tags). No dealer add-ons.

What I did was use zag.com and selected amex as the "membership". I got two quotes back that were roughly the same. From Criswell in Germantown and Pohanka in Fredricksburg. I'm not much of a negotiator and felt this was a decent price and went with it. Either of these dealerships should give you that price (last day is Friday). I picked Pohanka because it had the color I wanted.
  • Options
    haroyemomharoyemom Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the info. regarding the tax. That saves me a trip to Simi Valley. I did emailed the saleperson and asked for the OTD price of the Touring. He told me to add 9.75% sale tax and 2.5% for license and I should have the OTD price. I am planning to bring that email with me when I go to the dealer. I did speak to Nelson Honda, but I don't think they can match the quote from Norm Reeves.
    Do you have any information regarding aftermarket DVD system and blue tooth for the Odyssey? I read somewhere that the aftermarket products are actually cheaper and better than the factory installed ones. What do you think?
  • Options
    bwilson4bwilson4 Member Posts: 7
    Closed yesterday @ $29,221 (Includes desination, but not T,T,Docs). Basically used e-mail to have dealers bid against each other until it bottomed out.
  • Options
    $32600 is an excellent price.

Here in Charlotte, the least quote I got is $34000 OTD (includes 3% sales tax) without any add ons. $34,120 OTD (includes 3% sales tax) with mud guard, wheel locks, pin strips and cargo tray.

Other dealers don't even want to quote me after I ask for lesser price.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Just made a verbal confirmation. Buying from a ghetto dealer in Charlotte, NC.

Sales tax is 3%. The van includes cargo mat, mud guards and wheel locks. I don't have the price break up yet.

I know I paid a couple of hundreds more than what others paid in other region. I spent several days on phone, internet and by visiting dealers. Few dealers were rude when I asked for mid $33k OTD price.

Thanks to everybody who shared their deals, methods in this forum.
  • Options
    monimoni Member Posts: 9
    Just bought EX-L with NAV and RES for $35200 OTD.
    Sale price 32742 + TTL etc.
    This was at John Eagle in Dallas.

Excellent service, no pressure sales.
    I have seen better prices on thsi board, but no one in DFW was willing to sell for such a price.
  • Options
    mdp55mdp55 Member Posts: 1
    This evening I paid $28,705 + TTL. I'm in Northern CA and emailed the 10 closest dealers, subtracted $200 from the lowest (which was already $300+ lower than all the others) and sent out a "can you match" email to the other 9. One said yes and had the color we wanted so I went in, signed the paperwork and drove off the lot. Fairly painless all things considered.

I feel like I got a pretty decent price and I think being willing to seal the deal on the final day of the month saved me a little bit of money.

A big thank you to the board for all the valuable info!
  • Options
    2010van4jim2010van4jim Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2010
    thank you to everyone that have posted, it made negotiating so much easier. i picked mine up today from nelson honda in el monte, ca.

sticker price including destination - 37,915
    base price - 32,750 incl destination (w/ mud gaurds, wheel locks & cargo thingy)
    ca sales tax - 2,870.44 (8.75%) - ouch!
    license fee - 376
    registration fee - 87
    california tire fee - 8.75

when i got to the dealership, i told the salesman that i'd like to make a deal today and that i would like to speak to the internet manager. told the int mgr what i was willing to pay - 32,500, he came back with some printouts and said 33,000, i said "let's meet in the middle - 32,750", he went to check with his boss (maybe) and came back with "you got a deal" - i was actually willing to go up to $32,900. i couldn't get him to remove the guards, locks and cargo thingy (didn't try very hard though), he said they were already installed and couldn't remove it from the vehicle - whatever. never-the-less, polished metal metallic with the trim level i wanted was pretty scarce - i figured i'd also save some time and headache by not having to drive to more dealerships for a few hundred more. besides, i'm going to yosemite in 3 weeks and i didn't want to spend $400 on a minivan rental, so i figure i get it now.

i didn't bother getting quotes and pinning dealer against dealer. i was straight forward with him and said i just want to pay what people on edmunds.com are paying.

i went in with a pre-approved car loan letter from my credit union because i wanted the add'l $1250 off the car price. it's not written on the letter, but the rate i got was 3% and i told them that. but after they ran my wife's and my credit, the contract/finance guy said that they wanted to finance us through honda financing with the special apr promotion - 1.9% for 36 months or 2.9% up to 60 months. no add'l fees to go with honda financing, so we accepted and did 36 months - saved us $454 in interest. "i thought you couldn't get both 1250 off and the special apr financing" - he pulled out a letter and said that it's only for 3 days, ending May 2nd - who knows if he's telling the truth.

even though i live in l.a. county, i gave him my aunt's address because she live's in san bernardino county and sales tax is 1% less (savings of $328) and i put $5,000 on my american express (1% cash back - another $50 savings thank you very much!)

make sure you know what the doc fee is in your state, some have max limits, no limits and some none at all. ca is 45/55 depending on whether you lease/buy said the int mgr.

one thing though - stupid dvd player screen is whacky, so i'll need to take the car in to have them fix/replace it - hope it's not going to be an ordeal.

sorry for the long post, just want everyone who is ready to buy to benefit from it - good luck!
  • Options
    exlseekerexlseeker Member Posts: 10
    have you got specialfiancing with this pricing?
    the last quote i got in WI 29000 without spl financing+ttl,tax, etc..
  • Options
    have you got special financing 1.9 or 2.9 with this price?? here delaers are saying either or $1250 or 1.9
  • Options
    have you received special financing on this deal?
  • Options
    the sales tax is based on where you plan on registering the car, so that might affect the OTD price. on your quote of 29295, a 1% sales tax difference would come out to $293.
  • Options
    crawfiecrawfie Member Posts: 2
    Picked up RES EXL for 30845 including destination plus 125 fees in Newark Delaware
  • Options
    crawfiecrawfie Member Posts: 2
    I picked up one in newark delaware 2 weeks ago for 30,845 plus 125 fees
  • Options
    houstonodhunthoustonodhunt Member Posts: 11
    Please see below link on latest sale on Honda , it's amazing that prices are going down big time.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/cardeals/honda.htm

Date Vehicle Description Invoice : 4/30/2010 2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES & NAV
    Invoice Price : $35,200
    MSRP :$37,915 including destination
    Haggled Selling Price : $31,400 including destination + TTL
    Total Savings : $6,515
  • Options
    pmpatelpmpatel Member Posts: 23
    Hi All,

I want to share with you my purchase transaction to give you an idea of what I paid on Odyssey EXL with Nav & RES from chicago land dealer. Thanks to all of you for sharing their purchase experience with prices across nation. I purchased my van from Brilliance Honda in Crystal Lake, IL. If you like the price I paid and live near chicago land and looking to pull a trigger by Monday, you should get following deal from there internet manager..

Color: Polished Metal.
    MSRP:$37,915.00
    Base Internet Sale Price: $31,445.00 + Destination Charge: $710.00
    Internet Sale Price: $32,112.00
    Additional Option: $718.00 (Fog lights inst $419 + Prot Pkg $299 (whl lock + cargo tray + mud guards).
    Extended Warrenty: $900 (7 Year/75000miles with 0 deductible).
    Remote Starter: $350
    Maint Package: $279 (12 oil chges, 6 tire rotations, 12 car washes, 4 car loaners, road side assist (towing), 12 instance of 39 point car inspection, etc.
    + 1 FREE OIL CHANGE
    Documentation Fee: $150.00
    Electronic Filing Fee: $25.00
    + McHenry Co. Sales Tax: 7.00% (warrenty and maint package is not taxed) comes to $2335

ALL TOTAL: $37,151.

I wanted to purchase extended warrenty and maint package as it was important for me and fog lights price was reduced from $519 to $419. The remote starter was wanted by my wife due to winter in chicago and it was reduced from $499 to $350. Comes with 2 remotes and this is a non honda remote starter but comes with lifetime warrenty and installed at the dealer site.

I also got 2.79% financing rate for 5 years from major US Bank and still took $1250 rebate.

Thanks
  • Options
    Hey haroyemom,
    No problem! I found out about the tax thing when I was buying my civic after the long 'tax saving' drive... HAHAHA As for Nelson Honda... They sold the car already... If you read a few posts above this one, you can find one poster giving a detailed account of the Polish Metallic EXL with RES and Navi...
    As for the DVD, I know the after market ones are cheaper and better. However, you need to consider that some aftermarket installations will void warranty!!! You need to make sure the installer do in correctly and not void your warranty! I have never had any experience with aftermarket blue tooth. However, I do feel that talking with the built in BT is like using an intercom... only one person can speak at a time... I have a speaker function in my phone for that....
    Hope this helps!
  • Options
    fompukyfompuky Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your reply. That is a great price for it. How many dealers did you have to go thought?
  • Options
    bbrookbbrook Member Posts: 1
    I found this forum really helpful while purchasing our van so I thought I'd write our experience.

We used USAA/ZAG and got a quote for $24,075 in Utah. The dealership was pretty far from our house so we emailed our local dealer and they came down to $24,000.

So we purchased a 2010 Odyssey LX in metal metallic for:

$24,000 including destination

$299-Document fee
    Utah sales tax/licensing/registration fees-$1949.51

OTD-26,248.59
  • Options
    ksultimateksultimate Member Posts: 9
    Hello everyone
    We picked up our Odyssey Slate Green color a few weeks back. I appreciate everyone on this forum to pass on some good feedback. We bought this from Kay Honda, Eatontown, NJ and the Internet salesperson was AJ Lamb. Great overall experience with this dealership
    Internet Price - $28,461
    Destination - $710
    Doc Fee - $249
    Tire Tax - $7.50
    NJ Sales Tax -7%

We also got a good deal on our Trade-in.
  • Options
    microallhymicroallhy Member Posts: 15
    Hi rangersace,

Thanks for your kind offer, my email address is microally@gmail.com
  • Options
    mbojamboja Member Posts: 4
    Do you have the number of the dealer. I think you got a great deal and would like to see if I can get the deal too.

thanks
  • Options
    mbojamboja Member Posts: 4
    Do you have the number of the dealer. I think you got a great deal and would like to see if I can get the deal too.
  • Options
    odybuyer01752odybuyer01752 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    First thanks to Hogan and others for the very valuable information. I used the Hogan method to solicit prices for EX and EXL models. Was waffling between the two. Was looking for Bali Blue which didn't have alot of inventory here in Massachusetts. Got an email from a dealer with Bali Blue EXL, agreed to a reasonable price and decided to go in and have my trade appraised. When I get there they didn't have EXL, just EXL w/ RES(They claimed it was a paperwork issue). I didn't really want the RES, but wife kinda did, and since I didn't think I could easily find an EXL in the color I wanted, negotiated a price for the EXL with RES. I know some people bought for around $30K, so used that info to negotiate the price of the new minivan and my trade-in. I ended up paying 30,300 for the new van and got $2500 for my 2000 Maxima, which I think is fair(they originally offered $1300). Without the trade-in I think I could have purchased for closer to $30,000.

I paid cash, so no financing. It took about an hour and a half to agree to the deal, was ready to walk out at least 3 times when it seemed they wouldn't get to the $30K mark. The trade-in definitely complicated things.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    aps123aps123 Member Posts: 20
    What would be a good price?

I'm in the Pittsburgh area and would like to know if anyone has got a got a good deal recently.
    I'm hoping that there will be some clearance deals for the 2010 model

thanks
  • Options
    mobilejaemobilejae Member Posts: 15
    I was quoted what I believed to be a really good price, after doing much research:
    Odyssey EX-L Nav/res for $32,444+710 Destination, Tax, MV Fees & $249 Documentation

when I went to the dealer, due to my credit they said that they needed to raise the price of the car AND a higher APR. I was ready for the higher APR, as I know that my credit is low due to a short sale. But it is not that bad, as I just leased a BMW 5 series last month at a good price. I told the sales guy that the sale price of the car should not matter due to my credit. Its the financing that should be affected. Finally the finance manager came and said that he could only honor the price quoted if I get financing else where. Prior to this he argued for 20 minutes that this price was for April. I showed him the email from his sales person that was sent on 5/3 and I was there yesterday on 5/4. Then he tried to argue that the email says that price depends on credit and dealer discretion. I showed him the email and it said none of these things and that the price was good for 5 days.

Wow... am I off the mark here? Now I have the hassle of finding outside financing, selling my trade in car... what a hassle. I'm in Bergen County in NJ.

Is the price quoted good?
  • Options
    nobonobo Member Posts: 305
    I do not think a vehicle should cost more for less than perfect credit. Seems like discrimination to me. I probably would call an attorney just for more info.

I can see that credit issues would raise the APR of the loan.

The finance guy sounds like a jerk.
  • Options
    So to confirm the price. You paid $30300+TTL for EX-L w/RES?
  • Options
    odybuyer01752odybuyer01752 Member Posts: 2
    Yes. $30,300 minus $2500 for my Maxima trade in. Then Sales Tax of 6.125%, $295 dealer prep/Admin fee, $100 Registration fee.
  • Options
    kristine70kristine70 Member Posts: 9
    Can you tell me where in SE you got that deal?
  • Options
    newyearnewcarnewyearnewcar Member Posts: 24
    Hi,

I'm sorry if this is no help, but I'm in the Pittsburgh area too. Last Year, we bought a 2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L in Silver Metallic at South Hills Honda. They are great! You should try and see them during the end of the month because that's when they get really jumpy if you try and walk out. You can also try Washington Honda in Trinity Point.
  • Options
    @newyearnewcar

Thanks ..Actually South Hills is one dealer that I have not contacted. Can you tell me how much did you end up paying?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hi mobilejae

1st of all, you credit score has nothing to do with the purchase price... As they should not even ask how you are paying for the car until the deal is done!
    2nd, they can refuse to finance you because of bad credit
    3rd, it's not hard getting finance... google auto loan.. B of A has good rates, so does Capital One.. Also check your local credit union... You'd probably get a better rate than what the dealer can offer you..
    4th: WHY ARE YOU STILL DEALING WITH THEM??? They get you in there with a quote they don't intend to honor. Who knows what else they might be hiding!!! Take that quote and have other dealers match or beat it!!!

Is that the best price you got??? ZAG shows $32, 927 (60miles away) destination included. $33,077 (16.5 miles away), $33,427 (42 miles away)

check you stats again, before committing
  • Options
    Anybody got better deal on EX-L with RES ? lI am getting deals around $30500 + TTL
  • Options
    rangersacerangersace Member Posts: 34
    Hi,

I just purchased a EXL w/RES for $33438 OTD ($30600 w/dest) at DCH Paramus Honda and they were great. Who was the dealer you were working with? DCH is rated A+ on the better busness bureau. I got quotes from about 10 dealers and DCH was the closest to me a were the lowest "real" quote I received.

I agree the price of the car should NOT be affected by your credit score, only the financing. I also got 3.09% from Bank of America. You can just go online and apply. They give you an almost immediate response. There is a discount for using certain dealers and the process is much easier with the "approved" dealers. DCH was one of them.

Good luck.
  • Options
    as others mentioned, the price of the car should not depend on your credit - move on to another dealership. i do notice that if you are ready to buy when you walk into the dealership during the end of the month, they seem to be "more flexible". look at post #25,227 (mine) and #25,234, i think you should be able to save $400 to $700 off your current price. some dealerships have certain profit margins they want to maintain, so you'll just have to walk into a dealership and say "$ is what i'm willing to pay", but give yourself about a $500 cushion and ask to speak with the internet manager - they tend drag things out a little less. if they don't accept your second offer, move on.
  • Options
    I have this EX-L quote for 29219(Dest included)

He is also offering "engine warranty 10 yrs.300,000 no/charge/free state inspections n/c, paintless dent removal n/c,"

Its not the best that I have seen in this forum but i'm thinking of taking it due to the warranty. Any thoughts?

Anyway, God bless this forum...without this I would have paid much much more .. !

TIA