Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    striper1003striper1003 Member Posts: 3
    This is a great forum. I am interested in buying/leasing the Accord Coupe EX-L. I am just starting to shop around for one. Does anyone know if I would I likely get a better deal towards the end of the month or wait until the beginning of next month (June) to negotiate? The lease on my current car does not run out until the end of June so I have some time. Also, do interest rates typically to go up in June versus May or are they comparably even. It seems that Honda's current interest rates/money factor is kind of high compared to Acura. Any reason for this?
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • Options
    privaxprivax Member Posts: 12
    08 Accord LX $18,900 over 60 months at 2.9% and 7% sales tax here in NJ with a trade-in valued at $6,000 it seems I could get it for around $250.00 a month, $0 down.

Has anyone seen a similar transaction like this take place? And What would it take to be eligible for the 2.9% APR. I have a credit score of around 735-740 but only 3-4 years of credit history.

Also if I had my mother co-sign with me... who doesn't have a high score as mine but has "history" would I benefit or not... I would mainly be doing this so that I can put the car under her name for insurance purposes.
  • Options
    privaxprivax Member Posts: 12
    I think the nation wide lease special is untill early June.
  • Options
    bndiebndie Member Posts: 12
    I found one leftover advertised at $21135 in South Florida. Dealers in Florida can add around $500 as a "dealer fee" . What is a reasonable OTD price for this car. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Which South Florida dealer? I got my Civic from Hollywood Honda and if I were you, I'd stay away from Coral Springs Honda, where I live. Their prices are always higher than any other Honda dealer and they usually have admin fees.

The Sandman :)
  • Options
    bndiebndie Member Posts: 12
    It is Maroone in Miami.
  • Options
    catalyst6catalyst6 Member Posts: 12
    What kind of prices are people getting on coupes?

I've gotten my dealer to about $50 over invoice, but I didn't know if people were getting better deals under invoice or cutting into the dealer hold back.

Essentially I'm looking at $21200 for the LX-S and am wondering if I could do better or get a higher trim level for that price.
  • Options
    accordman18accordman18 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

I'm a new college graduate ready to purchase a new accord with no money down at 0.9%. Any suggestions? The best quote I've gotten in the MN area is 19500 for an LX but I believe there is much better deals to be made. Any suggestions on pricing for an LX, LXP, or EXL (all 4 cylinder automatics)? I've read that the car has been selling around 18 under different financing terms. How did you negotiate because the dealers seem to be getting frustrated but won't lower their price? Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    Right now, $19500.00 is $516.00 under invoice here in the twin cities (yep I know the national advertised invoice is $19816.00, but here the six metro dealers co-op advertising and $200.00 is added to each invoice at the factory).

What you've been reading is pricing that is either from last month when Honda was offering dealers an additional $400.00 in "advertising" money on 4cly Accords or, different regions where there is no advertising fee added to the invoice.

"How did you negotiate because the dealers seem to be getting frustrated but won't lower their price?"

Just because someone posts a price on here does not make it proof that you can purchase on at that price.
  • Options
    iwanthondaiwanthonda Member Posts: 13
    Just an update for those of you in the market for a 2008 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 with Navi. I picked up the car last week, and here's the breakdown of the price:

$27,400 (including destination fee, wheel locks, splash guards, and pinstripe)
    $99 dealer processing fee
    $1,649.94 tax (6% in MD)
    $104 tags, title, license (I transferred my tags, which brought this down from $222)
    $29,252.94 OTD

The sales guy told me that they were only making $34 on the deal, which I think is totally bogus, since I had varying profit statements from other dealers back when I had quotes from $27,300 that included dest. and proc. fees. Still, I was willing to let the dealership make some money in order for me to get the color that I really wanted.

When discussed as separate items, I had two accessories added on to the car: the rear-view camera kit and a deck lid spoiler. Word of advice, do your research and find out from multiple dealerships what the official textbook Honda hours of labor quote is on each installed item. When that's put to bed, work on the best price for the accessory, using online Honda accessory sites as a guide for a solid parts price. With that said, here are the prices that I got:

$210.45 rear-view camera (15% above dealer cost)
    $116.15 attachment kit (15% above dealer cost)
    $276 labor* (4 hours at $69/hr, discounted from the normal $89/hr rate)
    - *the official Honda textbook states 3 hours for this job, which explains my earlier comment about researching the labor
    $36.16 tax (6% in MD)
    $638.76 installed rear-view camera kit

$251.85 deck lid spoiler (15% above dealer cost)
    $69 labor (1 hour at $69/hr, discounted from the normal $89/hr rate)
    $19.25 tax (6% in MD)
    $340.10 installed deck lid spoiler

I also plan on purchasing an extended warranty via the Sacucci Honda dealership website in RI (link). After playing around with the website a little, it consistently provides the same price of $995 for 8yr/120k non-deductible anytime from driving it off the lot until you hit 6,000 miles. I heard some rumors about Honda trying to prevent this dealership from selling warranties online, but it sounds like it'll still be around for a little while due to litigation procedures.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions in case I didn't clarify something in particular.

Btw, for the car on its own (including wheel locks and splash guards, but no additional accessories), the price I got represents about $750 below invoice and $3,650 below MSRP. The parts price of 15% over dealer cost represents the Honda employee discount on parts, but YMMV with labor costs, although the number of labor hours should be fixed.
  • Options
    gismapgismap Member Posts: 12
    We are looking to purchase an 08 Accord EX (haven't decided on the leather yet), also in the St. Louis area. Did you use the internet and did you send a request to all the dealers in the St. Louis area? Which dealer did you end up with.

Anyone else have St. Louis area experience recently? I used this forum about 4 years ago to buy a Honda Odyssey. We were very happy with the deal and are very happy with the Odyssey.

Thanks
  • Options
    mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    Hi,

I ma looking for the same vehicle and just starting my search. which dealer did you purchase from?

thnxs
  • Options
    accordman18accordman18 Member Posts: 2
    Where did you purchase this at?
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Just because someone posts a price on here does not make it proof that you can purchase on at that price

Now, you're not suggesting that some of these "Prices Paid" never happened, are you?

Say it isn't so! ;)
  • Options
    Even though I think this deal is well within reach, the sales guy I bought from asked me not to tell anyone that I got it for this price. Therefore, I won't divulge the specific dealership. But I can tell you that I am in Baltimore County, and that previously I had the better quote of $27,300 (including dest+proc fees, wheel locks, splash guards) from Northwest Honda in Owings Mills, MD at the end of April 2008. I didn't buy from them, however, because they were ridiculous in saying that I would have to pay $1000 more for a color that I didn't want. On top of that, the sales manager (initials DP) had the gall to call me and hassle me about the kind of consumer I was, leaving a very bitter taste in my mouth about the whole experience. Originally when it was the last day of the month, he offered to factory order the color I wanted at the originally agreed upon price. However, when the discussions extended over into May (for reasons beyond my control), the deal suddenly disappeared. Based on the terrible experience that I had, I would recommend only using this dealership as a negotiating tool, and NOT buy from them.

Also, if it isn't inherent enough in the discussions, a word of advice is to wait until the end of the month and feel out for the dealerships that are struggling with their sales for the month. They are the ones that will be most motivated to give you this kind of deal on a car.
  • Options
    sunnfunsunnfun Member Posts: 168
    Also check out Laurel Honda - make sure you go through the internet to get your quote. That's the same place I bought mine in Jan.
  • Options
    jwsmojwsmo Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of purchasing a V6 EX-L with Navi from St. Louis Honda. I emailed 3 other local dealers (Vincel, Bommarito, and Leta). The prices were all pretty close to each other depending on the dealer add-ons. St. Louis Honda gave me the best price and they had the color combination I wanted. I would recommend getting your prices via the internet.
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Even if all of these deals were done at the prices claimed, there is no guarantee that others can get the same deal. No dealer near me, for example, will touch deals I can get by driving 3 or 4 hours to other dealers. So if someone from one locale gets a better price than can be had by a local dealer it may be time to do some travelling to find a better dealer.

Timing is also everything, go in on the right day and be shopping for the right car (color and trim level) can net you a better price than someone else could do the next day or the next week.

A lot of folks have trade ins, which they may or may not mention. A neighbor of mine was once bragging about how low the price was on his new car. I asked how much he got for his trade and his smile turned to a frown and told me about his rip-off trade in price. If I show up with a paid for cream puff trade in then I may find that my new car price is lot lower than if I am trying to unload a guzzling SUV on the dealer. If a trade is part of the deal it should be stated and if the customer got less than they should have based on expectations, other dealer offers or "book value" then that has to be factored into their super price on the new car.

So if we assume all the prices quoted are legit you still may not be able to get those deals at any dealer you work with or even with the dealer the one posting the price used. Of course there could be a few folks who mis-typed the price they paid or something :D .

Dennis
  • Options
    I agree with your entire post.

I had a customer a few weeks ago make a VERY low offer on a new Accord.

It was dreary and raining and we were very slow that day.

To my great surprise, my GSM actually accepted the offer.

" This makes no sense, but let's just "buy a log".

Then the crafty customer reneged on his offer and told me he would just return the next day...maybe.

I know what he was going to do...shop my number and he did!

I warned him that we wouldn't do that number if he left and he didn't believe me.

Guess what happened the next day :)
  • Options
    catalyst6catalyst6 Member Posts: 12
    I just bought a new 2008 Accord LX-s in Polished Metal Metallic.

MSRP = $23295
    Invoice = $21,171
    Paid = $20,695

I feel like I did a pretty good job, this was my first new car purchase.
  • Options
    frankcariofrankcario Member Posts: 41
    isell, I read these posts regularly and alway appreciate your comments. My wife and I have bought four Hondas for ourselves, son and daughter in the past six years and are in the market for a new Accord LX sedan. We live in Houston where there are a lot of Honda dealers, all of whom are willing to sell at invoice, but none will go below. So I wonder whether claims of $500 or more below invoice are true. What would motivate a dealer to sell at this price? By the way, I am perfectly satisfied to pay invoice.

Thanks
  • Options
    In response to dwynne's post, I would like to state that I paid for the car in full, and I had no trade-ins involved. Perhaps this may give a little more validation to the price that I paid, at least in the specific area that I live in. Good luck!
  • Options
    Sadly, a lot of markets have been "ruined" and Houston may be one of those markets. Good for the buyers I suppose.

A brand new, fantastic car being sold for invoice during it's first year?

Going into holdback makes no sense especially when holdback isn't profit.

No wonder they can't keep good people. Sad...
  • Options
    holewholew Member Posts: 71
    Buying a car at a great price is a game. The dealer will win all the time since he knows how much profit there is in the sale. It is only a matter of how little profit the dealer is willing to take. The dealer will not sell a car at a loss.

Check if it is possible to get the car you want at the so called DEALER INVOICE. For the most part a dealer can sell at that price and still make a significant profit in the monthly kick back from the factory.

I never jump at a dealer off which has to be done on the spot unless that offer is at or below my price and I have already shopped other dealers. If the price is good for that day it will be good some place tomorrow. And if it isn't then I'll wait until it is. I never shop for a car when I need one right away.

Also dealers are usually willing to give a better price on a car in stock then on one ordered from the factory.

I actually had one dealer tell me (Dealer in Bel Air, MD) I could not order a car from the factory. I guess I had my stupid face on that day. The dealer used this as en excuse for charging me an extra $100 finder fee for locating the car I wanted and then sending a driver there to get it. Then the dealer told me that the car would have several dealer added options on it such as mud flaps, wheel locks, and door edge guards which would cost about $400 more. When I asked if I could order the car from the factory and get it without dealer options, that is when he said no that the whole dealer - factory relationship had changed and that the dealer did not know exactly what cars, color and equipment the factory would be sending. That is why according to the dealer the best way to get my car in the color and equipped the way I wanted was to have the dealer locate the car at another dealer. Needless to say I discovered from another, more honest dealer (In Baltimore), that dealers knew several weeks to a month in advance exactly what cars they were going to receive from the factory and that dealer was able to place my name on exactly the car I wanted. And I did not have to get any dealer add on extras.

The Honda dealer near Bel Air, Maryland is about a two miles from my house. So I drove to the Baltimore Honda dealer and got the car I wanted without any dealer add ons.

I took delivery on a 2008 Accord EX-L V6 on 27 Dec07 at dealer invoice.

I had done all this over the INTERNET through a car buying service. Each dealer had an INTERNET salesperson who had special prices which the other sales people could not offer. Don't know how correct this is but that is what I was told. The dealer apparently kept all INTERNET inquiries so that about two months after my purchase the dealer send out an E-Mail indicating that the prices previously given over the INTERNET were now $500 less for any in stock car bought. So there must be something to the idea that a car in stock can be bought of a better price then one ordered. After all each dealer has what is called a FLOOR PLAN which is the cost of the loan the dealer is paying for on each car in stock. It usually amounts to about .75% per month. So moving cars in stock is most important.

Also the purchase of an extended warranty was another game. Since I keep a car well over 100K miles I wanted an extended warranty. Honda offers extended warranty called HONDA CARE in various lengths of time and miles. The max is ZERO DEDUCTIBLE 8 years - 120,000 miles which is the one I got. Before I closed the deal I did a search on the INTERNET for extended warranties. I discovered a Honda dealer in RI who was selling this warranty for $1095. When I asked my local dealer in Baltimore about this I was told the price was $1999,95. When I showed him the printout of the $1095 price he immediately lower the price to $1095.

The dealer in RI web site is www.jayhondacare.com

This all happened in Dec 07 so things might have changed since then. Also there is a $100 deductible plan which was $100 less The plans offered were for 5, 6, 7, and 8 years with various mileage lengths.

The dealer also had a warranty plan which would refund a significant portion of its cost if the warranty was not used. I believe the price was about $1500 and $1000 would be refunded when the warranty expired without ever have a claim filed against it.

About 2 months after I purchased my new 08 Honda
  • Options
    gismapgismap Member Posts: 12
    Were you satisfied with the prices? Were they near the invoice price. Since I am looking for the I4 without leather, it may not be as popular as the one you are purchasing. The Odessey was purchased using the internet and Sam's club from Vincel in 2004. They had the best deal at that time. I will submit a request for quotes using the internet. Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    Please explain what you mean by "monthly kickbacks".

No such thing...sorry.
  • Options
    hondahenryhondahenry Member Posts: 35
    Good job, holew. This is the kind of post that benefits all. Thanks for your time.
  • Options
    Thanks for the contribution to the post. As far as the warranty plan with the "refund clause" goes, are you talking about the RI dealer offering a different plan than the standard warranty? If so, could you provide more details and/or a link to find it?

Btw, the Sacucci Honda dealer (also in RI) offers $995 for the non-deductible 8yr/120k plan (www.myhondawarranty.com).

Also, I hate to make things more painful for "isellhondas", but if you think a ruined market means selling at invoice, I guess the MD/VA/DC area must be way beyond ruined. As laid out in a previous post, I paid about $750 below invoice for my Accord EX-L V6 with Navi (supposedly a rare car), and it wasn't even the best offer that I had (albeit for a different color in stock) by about $200.
  • Options
    At the risk of incuring the wrath of our HOST, I just have to wonder exactly WHY a dealer would lose money on that car.

Makes no sense for a merchant, any merchant to buy a product, pay the overhead associated with selling it and then selling it for less than they paid for it.

Yes, it is a rare car.

Was there a trade involved?
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    MSRP is $30,895 so 100% of hold back would be $617.90 . So they are saying they got the car for invoice AND 100% of hold back and the dealer lost a further $132.10 on the deal. As Al "flannel power" Borland used to say: I don't think so, Tim. To lose so much on one car there has to either be a trade or a large deal doc or prep fee or perhaps some side sticker "mop and glow" or $700 wheel locks and moonroof wind deflector on it.

Maybe they are confusing invoice and MSRP :D ? I have seen folks do that before and it is pretty easy to get $750 under MSRP.....

Dennis
  • Options
    Yeah, sorry but it makes no sense, especially on a very hard to find car.

In addition, there is the overhead involved with every car sale, a commission to the salesperson etc.

Doesn't pencil.
  • Options
    If you take a look at the layout of my deal as posted, I suppose you could figure out exactly how much of a markdown I've been talking about:

My purchase post

By the way, there was no trade involved, since I sold my previous car through craigslist. And I paid for the car in full, so no financing was involved either.

According to my calculations, I received about $750 below invoice or $3650 below MSRP, depending on what you want to compare against. Even if I compensate and say that the wheel locks, splash guards, and pinstripe cost nothing, we're talking about $639 under invoice. Here's my calculation for that scenario:

Dealer invoice:
    $27,404 invoice + $635 destination fee + $99 processing fee = $28,138 +TTL

My price:
    $27,499 (car + destination fee + processing fee) +TTL

The difference between these two figures is $639 dollars, not even accounting for the wheel locks, splash guards, and pinstripe that were "thrown in". If you want to make sure that I didn't get stuck with a large hidden cost, my additional costs were $1,649.94 (6% MD state tax) and $104 (cost of transferring tags), resulting in a $29,252.94 OTD price.

The only point of contention is the fact that I got two accessories installed in the car, but as I also laid out in my purchase post, I got them for the employee discount price. The only area in which I might have gotten hosed is where I had to pay for 4 hours labor on the rear-view camera kit instead of the official Honda-stated 3 hours. Even so, that was $69 dollars, which according to the statements of "dwynne" and "isellhondas" is still losing the dealership money.
  • Options
    Speaking of holdback, I certainly will not attest to the validity of whatever numbers are thrown about... But one sales guy I spoke to calculated holdback as 3% of the $30,895 MSRP, which was $926.85. Based on that number, he said that my lowest quote of $27,300 (including dest+proc fees) would result in a profit of about $300, and STILL didn't want to sell me the car based on that! He wanted to charge me dealer invoice, which according to him would give the dealership a profit of closer to $1000.

In other related matters, he also said he wouldn't budge from this number because he knew he was the only dealership in the state that had the color I wanted, so needless to say I did not go with him. On top of that, he refused to give me the VIN and mileage on the car when requested, and I found out later from another dealer that the specific car had a damage disclosure on it. So with that said, I would also recommend not dealing with anyone at Heritage Honda in Parkville, MD with the initials GH.
  • Options
    pmomtvpmomtv Member Posts: 7
    Looking to purchase a 4 cyl, auto, EX-L this weekend. If anybody has purchased a new Accord in the Pittsburgh, PA, area, I need advice as to which dealership provided you with the best deal. Also, was that dealer willing to offer invoice or below?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Nope, holdback hasn't been 3% for some time.

IF they really sold you that car for that price, they lost money.

And, they lost money on a model that is difficult to find.

That's all from me. The others can draw their own conclusions.
  • Options
    furrycutefurrycute Member Posts: 33
    Hi guys. I am in the NYC area. I am looking to buy a 2008 Accord, automatic, LX, with minimal accessories. I got a quote of just over $20,000 including destination. Does not include titles, taxes, etc. Do you guys think this is a good price? Can I hope for something better?

This is the price I got from a dealer's internet sales department. How much haggling can I do with this price once I go into the dealership in person? I am not looking to finance, no trade ins.

Thank you guys for any help you can give me.
  • Options
    tracemillertracemiller Member Posts: 36
    I got my 08 Accord LX-P automatic for $21,400 OTD. There were no trades involved. Here is the breakdown of the price:

Price: $19,618.55 ----> $1,100 below invoice (both includes destination)
    Doc Fee: $55.00
    Sales Tax: $1,524.70
    License Fee: $128
    Registration Fee: $65
    CA Tire Fees: $8.75

Total (OTD): $21,400

The dealer wanted to sell as many cars as possible before month ends. I went to the dealer and walked around looking for the car I wanted. After looking at a couple of LX-P model, I got the one I wanted.
  • Options
    frankcariofrankcario Member Posts: 41
    Which dealer did you buy from?
  • Options
    vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Isellhonda,

Please go to room "VCM" to read comments of an unhappy Honda customer (his name's Golf...) who claimed Honda is going to close his complaint of the VCM issue of the '08 Accord V6 sedan without his permission. I am not sure if he owns a '08 Accord V6 sedan as he has boasted and if he's been honest with his complaint.
  • Options
    erbenererbener Member Posts: 2
    are there some new cars for girls? beautiful ones? who got good ideas?
  • Options
    wardcowardco Member Posts: 27
    Baierl Honda in Wexford, ask for Ken Dash - no invoice pricing tho, but a good and fair dealership.
  • Options
    personatechpersonatech Member Posts: 105
    I don't understand - are you interested in a beautiful car or a car for a beautiful girl??!! ;)

My daughter grouses that the Beetle I drive is more appropriate for teenage girls, but this 51 year old guy loves it. It has more headroom than anything else we've ever owned, great ride, great mileage (it's a TDI). If you're more interested in a Honda girly car, I suppose the Civic and CR-V are your best bet - maybe even an older Accord. But this new Accord, wow is this ever a manly car!!!
  • Options
    Oh, I've read his postings.

I have yet to experience what he is talking about nor have I EVER heard this complaint from anyone else.
  • Options
    packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    congrat's you'll enjoy it, sounds like you got a nice deal
  • Options
    Against my better judgement, I went back into that forum and again stated that I have heard nothing of this except in that forum.

And, of course, I got blasted.

I have to wonder if I were to drive these affected cars, would I feel anything? I don't know.

I have had customers who have been in that forum take V-6's out and they have taken great pains to replicate this without success.

Now the 2009 Pilots have VCM too.
  • Options
    packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    I'm not a dealer, however there is a simple solution, the dealer can take a loss on any car at any time because he can make it up on the next customer that walks through the door and also by meeting there quotas for volume MFG discounts.
    It;s like when you go to super market when something is on sale rest asure another item has been increased in order to compensate that I do know.
  • Options
    Of course they can, but WHY?

Why lose money on a hot seller that we can't get enough of.

With Honda there are no "volume MFG discounts".

You are talking to a person who has been in sales and marketing all of his life by the way.
  • Options
    At the risk of having this post be flagged as completely unrelated to the thread on all accounts...

I test drove my 08 EX-L V6 at 60-65 MPH and could not find any VCM issues. I've only driven the car about 250 miles, so I certainly can come to a full-length conclusion yet. In late June, I will be taking a long trip that will extend close to 1,000 miles, after which I'll post my comments on any observations.

Secondly, I want to just say that I am HIGHLY disappointed in the 2009 Pilot re-design. (IMHO, of course) I thought that the outgoing model frame was a fantastic design, once it was tweaked with subtle touches in the lights and grille. With the 2009 design, I simply don't understand why Honda would Element-ize a vehicle that had reached its aesthetic maturity. Maybe this is why 2008 Pilots with Navi are such a hot item now, even among depressing SUV sales.
  • Options
    Based on the assumption of veracity in your claim that my purchase price lost the dealership money, I'm certainly at a loss to explain why my dealership sold me a "rare car" at a loss. With that, I just have two comments...

1) The price I paid (reportedly ~$750 under invoice) was offered to me on May 8 (notably the beginning of the month) when there was apparently no pressure to meet any quotas, or achieve a volume discount. This is in opposition to an even lower quote (~$950 under invoice) that I had at the end of April, where there appeared to be obvious effort to meet a quota, although it was made applicable only to an in-stock vehicle.

2) When the price was laid out on the table, I was supposedly told by my specific salesperson that the dealership was only making like $34 on the deal (in previous posts, I mention that I got varying statements of profit from others). So if the dealership is in reality losing money, it makes no sense at all why he would tell me that they are making ANY profit, however minimal it supposedly was.
  • Options
    chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I can't begin to mention how many cars I have purchased at a given price - only to have a salesperson mention at another particular dealership how I could not possibly buy that car for that price!

Once I even faxed the contract to a salesperson at the other dealership just to prove I did indeed do it!