Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Anytime a model changes there are always those who love the changes and a few who don't.

Looks are subjective. I just hope the masses like the changes. Time will tell, I suppose.
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Damn, I had a funny post in response to this question. It involved brilliant women sporting leather in a a full-ton, dulie pickup. But, alas, my judgment has gotten the better of me. . . .Let your imagination run wild and recognize that, in a perfect world, it would be the person, not the car, that would matter :blush: But, this ain't no perfect world . . . . . .
  • cwboskencwbosken Member Posts: 2
    EX-L, 4 cyl Automatic, Navigation, out the door in North Carolina: $27145.

Car: $25949.00
    3% NC Tax: 778.47
    License & Title: 69.00
    Dealer- $349.00

Blue Exterior, Gray Interior, 4 Doors.
  • r0yaltyr0yalty Member Posts: 13
    I've been shopping around for the past week, emailed most honda dealers within a 2 hour drive time from San Diego (I live in San Diego, CA). The lowest written quote I got was from Moss Bros. Honda in Moreno Valley as follows:

car price :$23,029.92
    + 7.75% tax
    + $55 doc fee
    + $245 License fee
    *car price includes dest. fee

But over the phone, the best price i got was from DCH in Temecula, CA. The guy quoted me (I will be going there today, so I'll let you all know the results):

car price: $22,800
    + tax: $1771.26 @ 7.75% (the dreadful California tax)
    + license: $245.75
    *+doc: $55
    OTD price: $24,872.01
    **There is no trade in involved. Price includes dest. fee
    I will also be taking 2.9% financing (yes i qualify)
  • gavsimgavsim Member Posts: 9
    Anyone here in Monmouth County NJ buy an LX-P recently, interested in how much you guys paid, thanks.
  • iwanthondaiwanthonda Member Posts: 13
    I can certainly stomach the idea that looks are subjective and that in this case, I am in the minority in the eyes of Honda.

So the question I must ask is: Is there apparently a big reception to the look of the Element, such that Honda has in its mind that it should create more cars to mirror its look?

Personally, I hate the look of the Element. My father-in-law has one, but my wife and pretty much everyone in our family all agree that it's hideous. I think he bought it more out of practicality, since he likes gardening, and is able to easily transport dirt without worrying about really getting the car dirty.
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Maybe this is why 2008 Pilots with Navi are such a hot item now, even among depressing SUV sales.

That has nothing to do with it, Honda put $1,500 to $2,500 incentives on them and cheap leases (our Pilot was leased a few months ago at 0.31% interest) and they have grown to $2,500 to $3,500 incentives and cheap financing. I am told some regions have an extra $1k in incentives. Many dealers deal into the hold back gladly to move another Pilot so deals $4k and more under invoice are being done. That is a lot of SUV for the money, even with $4 gas. If Honda did not have the incentives in place the sales would dry up quick as the Pilot as always been a struggle for Honda to move.

I am not seen the new Pilot in person but the pictures make me glad we have the 08 - for sure when we leased it using all the incentive and all but about $115 of the hold back AND got 0.31% lease money. The interest portion of our lease (as apposed to the depreciation portion) is just over $100 for a 3 year lease, IIRC.

Our 05 Accord was leased under invoice (using a dealer incentive) and was at a rate around 1%.

The current Accord lease deals are horrible, they could move a lot more if they would drop the rates on them.

Dennis
    The current Accord lease rates aren't "horrible". They are simply normal rates.

The lease rates you got were subvented.

Also, Pilots have never been a "struggle" to move at least where I am. Maybe in other parts of the country, things are different.

We just received our first 2009's yesterday. Hopefully people will like them.
    The only thing that makes sense is your dealer had (has) a regional incentive that we don't know about it. All the dealers (in theory) pay the same thing for the cars and the hold back is the same for all, but at times they do have nationwide and local sales incentives and dealer money. I would be surprised that they would have money on the new Accord model but anything is possible.

I have leased or purchased cars at "impossible" prices in the past - based on invoice, known incentives, and hold back. In every case it turned out there was some secret (to me and Edmunds) dealer money involved in the deal. These would usually be some sort of stepped or phased dealer money per car. Edmunds can't say "$1,000 in the marketing assistance" since it may be a tiered system - they may get $250 for each car sold up to xxx units for the month, if they go to xxx + 100 then it goes to $500, and if they go to xxx +200 then it goes to $1,000. Keep in mind that these types of incentives go for all sold in the month, so if at the end of the month the dealer can push through a few low profit deals and get to the next tier they get that much for ALL the cars they sold for the month - not just those last ones. Smart dealers will blow cars out all month long to be sure there is no end of month crush, they will just price them knowing they are going to get the top tier incentive (and pricing them low means they will).

Dennis
    They are horrible, compared to years of cheap rates :D .

Pilots sales have always hurled (around here anyway) and every time I have ever looked at them they ALWAYS have dealer money on them - even 3+ years back. Honda does not have dealer money that much on their cars, but the Pilot seems to constantly need help to move. Pilot sales were down 36% in April 08 compared to 07 and down almost 15% YTD even with the cheap money and big incentives. Ridgelines do a lot worse and the S2000 is at the bottom of the barrel. Of course, the S2000 slow sales works to my advantage since the current cheap lease deals and motivated dealers let me upgrade my 05 to a new 08 for a nice price :D . I will just be one of 300-400 folks so far this year to take one off of Honda's hands.

I can't see anyone paying even full invoice for the 09 when you can get a new 08 (while supplies last) for $3,500 - $4,500 less money. But there will always be some folks that have to have the new model as soon as they hit the ground - you can probably get them to pay MSRP right now :D .

Dennis
    Yes, I probably can. Some very nice improvements!

2008 Pilots are about dried up. I think we have the last NAVI in the state and ONE EXL left. A lot of SE's and some VP's and we hare the largest volume store in nine states.

Not many left at this point at all.
  • tracemillertracemiller Member Posts: 36
    Moss Bros. Honda do give the best low written quote. I believe that the more inland you go (Riverside County), the cheaper the price is. My friend and I got really excellent quote from Moss Bros. Honda. I used that quote to go to a dealer close to my home to buy my car because the dealer guarantee to beat in by at least $100. I didn't feel like driving two hours to buy a car.
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    Now I know why, I'm a person who has been in Purchasing my whole life.
    OK, I understand now.

I've been in Sales and Marketing my whole working career.

You want a dealer to sell you a car at a loss because you think he can just make it up on the next guy?

Just as long as you aren't the "next guy"!
    Yes to your last statement, without a doubt, as you know aura is big at times, especially if your there at the right time.
  • furrycutefurrycute Member Posts: 33
    Hey guys, I have a question.

Money is tight, so I am looking at an LX automatic. But this steel wheel vs. alloy wheel thing bugs me. Alloy wheel is standard on the LX-P. Should I go for the LX-P? What would I give up if I go with the steel wheels on the LX?

And what other differences are there between the LX and the LX-P? Does the LX have powered windows (edmunds' review seems a bit confusing on that aspect). And what about those side mirrors. Are they powered or manual?

Thanks
    I can't get any dealers to match it in San Diego, but i've got to drive through Moreno Valley tonight. Guess i'll be stopping at Moss Bros.
    They are identical, except for the rims, the theft deterrent security system, power drivers seat (that is a waste it's limited) and maybe the wheel locks and mud flaps.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    It's funny how folks can perceive things so differently - for me, the power seat in the LX-P is the primary attraction of the vehicle relative to other trim levels in the Accord line. A plain LX would be a no-sale for me.
    For me, I can live without the power seat. The more moving parts there are, the higher the chance of something breaking down over time. Those electric motors don't last forever.

The only concern I have is about those steel rims in the LX. What do I lose with going with the steel rims in the LX as opposed to the alloy rims in the LX-P?
    I chose the LX-P over the LX because of the Power Windows, Alarm System, and those nice looking alloy wheels. Plus, I got the LX-P for a lower price than the LX.
  • lookylou1lookylou1 Member Posts: 5
    After cruising this forum for almost 18 months, we purchased a new 2008 I4-A EXL from Independence Honda in the Kansas City area. Dealt with the GM via phone and email for 24 hours before agreeing on a price of $24,750 (which included a $250 doc fee). I wanted to come close to some of the sub $24K prices I have read on this board but no dealer in KC would dip much below $25K.

While I believe prices will fall later this summer when the '09s arrive, we are very happy with our new Accord. GM was a straight shooter and never made me feel pressured or like he was trying to up-sell me. Car looks great sitting in our garage and it is nice to know it's there. The 2.9% financing is what spurred our long-time-coming purchase.

A big thanks to all who contribute on this board. I felt I needed to add my experience to the forum since I have frequented this site so often.
    Hey lookylou,

I feel the same way as you about the help from this board. I would not have been able to get the car I wanted for the price I wanted without the contribution from the people on this board. Because of the low price that people were getting, I felt like I needed to get the same price or better or I would feel like I was ripped off from the dealers.

Thanks to those who contributed to this thread.
  • scz3838scz3838 Member Posts: 8
    Hey lookylou1,

Is your price of $24,750 before or after taxes? I am assuming it is base+dest+doc fee?

If that $24,750 is an OTD price then that is pretty great deal u got there.
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    I believe Honda Inc. headquarter has been aware of those unfair and dirty competition tactics. I wish those guys/ competitors get enough money to hire competent attorneys to fight for their nagging "class action suit" against Honda Inc.. If they win the case remember giving a few bucks to people who support their lawsuit.

I am the owner of a beautiful & powerful sport sedan '08 Accord V6 sedan EX-L w/ navi. I and my friends who have same cars have not had any issues or complaints. Its VCM is a very real nice feature to give my Accord of 268 HP an average 25+ MPG. Sometimes on a short freeway trip I can get 27+ MPG. My current odometer reading is 2800+ miles.

I feel very comforatable and trustworthy to Honda's highly innovative engineers/ management. Nice thing with Honda automobiles are more power with less fuel consumption. I have not cared much about Toyota or Nissan, not to mention about GM or Ford, etc. All my 4 cars at home are top model Accord V6. I love them. Can "put them in diapers" like babies by spending maintenance money to keep them in excellent conditions.
  • lookylou1lookylou1 Member Posts: 5
    Yes, $24,750 for our I4 EXL included a $250 doc fee and was before taxes. I was able to get the GM to also toss in wheel locks and splash guards at n/c. While our price doesn't rival some of the numbers we have all read on this board, I have to say we got a lot of car for under $25K.

This is our first Honda. Owned Camrys as family sedan for the past 15 years. Really unhappy with the fit, finish and bland design of new Camry's interior so I started shopping. Also strongly considered the Sonota (I think Hyundai is making great, affordable cars) and Genesis (exciting concept but just got tired of the wait).
    Apparently you never sat in a car that has a real power seat, there is no lumbar adjustment, or haven't you noticed, you can't make the seat go up or down as a whole, it either goes up or down in the front.

If anybody wants to know what the real difference is between the LX and the LX-P (as I stated in my last post) just get the book from a Honda Dealer it tells no lies.
  • stevefromozstevefromoz Member Posts: 7
    Anyone care to comment on the likelihood of getting near to Invoice on an LX-S Coupe, in Houston? I'd also like to get the finance they're offeringon the sedan but I'm thinking that asking just too much. Interesting though, Nissan *is* offering a similar rate that *is* available on the coupe.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    In reality, you likely won't lose anything by getting steel wheels over alloys.. In a family sedan, you really can't tell the difference..

But, if you really like the look of alloys (as I do), then you should probably get the package that comes with them.. Otherwise, you'll be looking at those wheel covers every time you get in the car, and wish you had alloys.. ;)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks for the info.

My last car was from the mid 90's, no automatic anything. So I think anything from the year 2008 is going to be way better than my last car. :) That's why I don't mind the plain exterior, wheel covers, and manual seat adjustments.

Will the steel rims rust over time?
  • frankcariofrankcario Member Posts: 41
    Just took delivery of a new Accord LX Sedan Auto in Polished Metal Metallic and paid:

Price $19,500.00 (MSRP $21,795)
    Texas Tax (6.25%) 1,218.75
    License/Tags 221.52

Total $20,940.27

This is about $300 under invoice. It was a cash deal and there was no trade. I should also mention that this was the fifth Honda we have purchased from this dealer.
    That's a great price. The best price I was offered for an LX automatic is $20,000 including destination. I am located in NYC. Where are you located?
  • asterixasterix Member Posts: 1
    I think a got a good deal. I researched several days, mostly using the internet and a few visits to dealerships in the Boston area for an EX-L with manual transmission. I would only accept two colors: polished metal or green. MSRP around here was between $25,060 and $25,695 plus dealer destination charges, which were over $600. I had to endure some high pressure sales tactics, but in the end I got the car for $22,500 including dealer destination charges. Some more intense haggling (at times extremely annoying) got me an offer of $4,000 in trade for my 2000 CR-V (manual transmission) with 180,000 miles on it. (The car is is good mechanical condition even with those miles, and it generally looks good, but it has some minor body damage.) I had been hoping for closer to $4,250 but figured $4,000 was OK. (One dealership offered me $973.) Adding Massachusetts sales tax of $925 (on $18,500) and the documentation and license fees brought the total to $19,798, which is several thousand dollars less than I paid for the CR-V in 2000!
  • rocket1356rocket1356 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone buying an Accord this month or next month? I live in Costa Mesa, CA. Let me know if your buying a new Honda this month or next. I am planning to buy one. I am sure we can get a good or great DISCOUNT if we go together. The dealer in Santa Ana is the only place I think we can get a good discount together. Please email me at rocket1356@hotmail.com
    I am in Houston and the dealer is Streater-Smith Honda in Conroe, about 20 miles north. We have a lot of dealers in the area and many are willing to sell at invoice.
  • bezdecrbezdecr Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a 4 cyl EX-L Sedan 08 Accord in the KC area. What is a good goal to shoot for (invoice, couple hundred below invoice etc).

Any negotiating tips are appreciated.

It looks like there are not any additional options to choose from on the EX-L besides navigation. Is this correct?

Thanks
  • gleen6191gleen6191 Member Posts: 80
    I bought a black/ivory ex-l 4 cyl w/navi for $1050 below invoice 2 mos ago and could have done better if i waited
    If your going to keep the car for awhile I would recomend going with the LX-P, your re-sale value will be a little better in the long run and with the standard alarm theft det. system your Ins. will go down a little.
    stevefromoz-

On the way out of the dealer after picking up my daughter's new Accord LX sedan at this afternoon, I asked the salesman how much they were discounting Accord coupes. He told me that Honda was shortly going to be shipping them coupes in large volumes and he would price them at invoice. This is in Conroe, Texas, just north of Houston. I also noticed that a lot of their inventory was 60-90 days old and they had invoice or below pricing marked on several vehicles.
    Thanks for the advice on the anti-theft system.

I looked through Honda's homepage. On their webpage, they list anti-theft system as standard on both the LX and the LX-P. Does this mean that the LX have the alarm system and the engine immobilizer? I was surprised to see engine immobilizer listed on Honda's webpage. I thought only Camrys have the immobilizer.

I just came back from a visit to my dealer, the one that offered me $20,000 including destination. Turned out the dealer wants to add another $400 on top of that as "dealer prep fees." Unbelievable. I was hoping to knock off $400 from their original offer, now they want to add $400 on top of their original offer. I walked.

I test drove the car. The plastic wheel covers on the LX do look ghetto. They are thin, and bend VERY easily. I can't believe Honda used this kind of thin plastic for their wheel covers. My now sold mid 90's car had better thicker metal wheel covers. :cry:
    The Anti theft system is standard only on the LX-P, if the $20M is for the LX-P thats not a bad price tell him to keep the $400 but you will give him $20 for a full car wash and interior cleaning prep and you will sign the papers. Also dont get sucked into any type of costly extra warranties that they will try to sell you.
    Unfortunately that $20,000 quote including destination is only for the LX. The dealer wants $2,000 more for the LX-P. :mad:

What does the anti-theft system include? The alarm and the engine immobilizer?

I am actually thinking about partial financing at this point. I am thinking about putting down maybe $5,000, and finance the rest. What kind of interest rates should I aim for?
    Based on negotiations you should be paying around $21,000 for the LX-P

The alarm is your horn in the car and yes it does immoblize the car.

Not to good with the interest rates however, go to the Honda Accord fourm site and see Buying and Leasing Experiences there is a host of info.
    I took delivery of a 08 accord EX V6 4-door sedan (polished metal metallic with gray interior)with 79 miles on it at Moss. Bros Honda in Moreno Valley, CA yesterday (this was quoted to me through email):

car price :$23,029.92
    + 7.75% tax
    + $55 doc fee
    + $245 License fee
    *car price includes dest. fee
    =$25114 OTD

got financed at 2.9%

There is nothing extra on the car. All other dealerships would not match it once i took the quote to their dealership. Some wanted to charge destination fee, some wanted to charge a higher APR. Some said they couldn't take lojack off, or protection pkg off. Bunch of Bs'ers!
    79 miles on it already when you brought the car? I think you just brought a used car or a test drive car. You should have gotten it for cheaper because I don't think it is consider a new car anymore with 79 miles on it.
    Of course it's a new car! 79 miles is nothing.

It could have been a dealer trade which would account for the miles.

For every person who would be bothered by 79 miles there would be 20 others who wouldn't be. Just pick another car if that's a problem.
    79 miles is a good thing in a way if you dont hear any squeaks or rattles and no hesitation, your good to go, just make sure when the dealer writes up your agreements make sure he puts at least with 100 miles on the odometer acceptance form.
    79 miles on it already when you brought the car? I think you just brought a used car or a test drive car. You should have gotten it for cheaper because I don't think it is consider a new car anymore with 79 miles on it.

Don't you ever test drive before you buy? Would you want the dealer telling you that you can't test drive you have to pay and then get to drive the car? Or that they only have single car you can test drive and you can't drive the trim level you want - just purchase it on faith? Of course you would not put up with that, so the dealer ends up with test drive miles and many, if not all, of the cars on their lot. If you want to test drive the car in the trim level and color you want, but then refuse to buy it because it does not have "zero" miles on it then you are really being ridiculous.

Do you open an item in the store to check it out, then put that back on the shelf opened and take a sealed package to buy? If you do, then that would explain your attitude :D .

Most of us can't have it both ways - we want to test drive any car we want AND get a zero mile car when we decide. So you have to either give up test driving or getting a zero mile car.

Dennis
    As a zero mile car.

they always have a few miles when they come off the trucks and during the Pre-Delivery Inspection they get driven too.

Our Hondas always have at least ten miles on them.
    I do test drive the car before I buy. When I took delivery of my car, there were only 7 miles on it. When you go test drive, dealers usually tell you to step on it and feel the power and everything. This isn't good for the break-in period of the car. You don't know how other drivers drive the car during the test drive. They could have redline it and stuff. Because of this, you'll feel the effect of it later on.

When I went to look for my car, I looked at four different car with the same trim level. Then I chose the one I wanted to buy and test drove it. I'm not saying that you need to get a zero mile car. Just get one with a low mile that hasn't been test drove many different time already.

"Do you open an item in the store to check it out, then put that back on the shelf opened and take a sealed package to buy? If you do, then that would explain your attitude . "

So you are saying that you would go to the store and buy a package that was open already and get it for the same price as other sealed package? That's what a car with many many miles on it is, isn't it? You can't compare buying a car to buying a package at the store. At the store, if you buy something and it doesn't work, then you return it because it is defective. You can't do this with a car. The minute you buy it and it leaves the lot, it is used and depreciate right away. Sure you have warranty but you have to go through the hassle and stuff.

If you are happy with your new car, than that's fine. It's just a matter of what you want. Lot's of people are picky about things: like what kind of wheels they want, what kind of features and stuff. For me personally, if I saw a car I was about to drive with so many miles on it, I would tell the dealer if I can see a different car of the same trim to test drive and buy if I choose to buy.