Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Most would say that Japan would be the better choice, but our experience didn't reflect that in 2003 with our Accord. Our 2005 Ohio-made Accord didn't have the problems the 2003 had, although that could be more related to the new-model year than anything else.

I have an Ohio-made Accord with 182k miles on it now. It's a 1996, and has never left me stranded. Sure it has had repairs, (radiator cracked, brake master cylinder, cooling fan), but what 12 year old car hasn't had a few? ;)
  • iceuiiceui Member Posts: 9
    Thanks cuoinon!
    Do you have any idea on the price of LX? Seems 18.8k +tax+l are possible which is better than 19.7k LX-P somehow.
  • cuoinoncuoinon Member Posts: 18
    I dunno the price for LX. last time i got quote for LX AT was 19.5K. If 18.8K for LX Auto, it's a good deal I guess.
  • larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    How do you determine which are Ohio made and which are Japanese made? Is it by model or do you have to look at the vin or something?
    By the VIN. If I remember right, the first digit goes like this:

1 - US
    2 - Canada
    J - Japan

Correct me if I'm wrong guys!
  • rtanalgortanalgo Member Posts: 3
    good for you!!! the dealer is giving 25800 otd it comes with tint and mudflaps and belize blue. so far thats the only belize blue in houston, tx. some of my friends here 26000 is there otd. i called all the dealership in houston but none of them is giving 25k or less. so is 25800 is a decent price?
  • sundaylasundayla Member Posts: 2
    Hi Cuoinon,
    Congratulations. I am looking for the same Accord trim, but the local dealer can not promise the price unless I have a paper proof. Do you mind to send me an electronic copy if you have? My email is sundayla2008@gmail.com. Thanks.
  • duke23duke23 Member Posts: 488
    Amen alamocity, They stick it to us here in Texas. I think only Illinois has the 6.25% sales tax as well.I argued the dealer inventory tax when I bought in march (ex-4 cyc) but later found out it was legitimate. In addition, they throw in a road and bridge tax specific to Harris county. Only $11.25 but yet one more add in over Bexar.Purchased the vehicle in late march ( $21,568 base price not otd) and then negotiated out as much as I could the packages and dealer add ins. My backup was an internet quote on the other side of the city which I was willing to play if they tried anything as well as being pre- armed with a car fax for my trade in. Btw, imho your city has the best tex-mex in the state.
  • socalhondasocalhonda Member Posts: 24
    That sounds pretty good. What is the price before tax and title that you are paying? OTD prices don't mean anything on this site because each state has different taxes etc...
  • socalhondasocalhonda Member Posts: 24
    Just to add to my last comment, here in Los Angeles the EX-L 4 cyl w/ auto , no navig. including destination charge is $23,000. Our tax is 8.25% ($1897.50) license and registration ($217) and Calif. tire fee ($8.75) are all required. The document fee was $55. OTD price: $25,178.25.

This offer was from several dealers over the internet. I bought my car June 6 and have noticed the sticker has gone up approximately $40+ since then. It must be the destination charge due to the high gas prices!
    It's posted it window sticker . It tells where is the final assembly took place, and where the engine and transmission from
    Hisunday,
    Sorry I don't have a scanner :( If you are from around here, I can refer you to the dealer where I bought the car. If not, there are couple pple in forum got it lower than me; you can ask their permission for electronic copy
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Glad to hear you enjoy the Tex-Mex here, when I mention it to folks they say I'm biased, thankfully here the add-on's are minimal,not nearly as bad as the Toyota's here :D
  • larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    Not exactly prices paid but sort of as it's about options.

1) Has anybody here had the dealer put a DVD system in their Accord? Was curious if Honda offers one or have to go after market.
    2) I saw a person in the Edmunds reviews mention they added some sound deadening stuff to reduce the road noise as the Accord does have a substantial amount more noise than the Infiniti I am selling. Anybody know if this is a dealer option? Aftermarket? Where would you go for this type of product?

Looking to buy the car in the next week and will let you all know how I do on the price!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    2) It's called Dynamat.. You can google it.. Either do it yourself, or pay an upholstery shop to do it.. It goes on under the carpet..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• antihoneyantihoney Member Posts: 6
    I just found my 2 week-new accord was intentionally scratched by some SOB on the door. It is a deep and long scratch, since my car is silver the scratch is obvious. Do you guys know it is covered by the warranty? or I can fix it some way easily and good?
  • personatechpersonatech Member Posts: 105
    Sorry, but that's not a warranty issue - your insurance should cover it, however.
    Like another poster responded, this isn't a fault of the car or the dealer, therefore isn't a warranty issue.
  • dnhxdnhx Member Posts: 7
    the texas dealer inventory tax is not a consumer tax, it is paid by the dealer. It is in writing in the texas motor vehicle code. here's the link. look in section 1 of the motor vehicle dealer manual (page 3)
    http://www.txdot.gov/publications/motor_vehicle.htm
    or
    http://www.txdot.gov/publications/motor_vehicle/section01.pdf

"Vehicle Inventory Tax (VIT) - A property tax that dealers pay on their business
    inventory. This is NOT a tax that is required to be paid by the consumer."

just curious, are all the car on the lot where you bought yours stuck with the dealer added pin stripes and the paint protection?
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Wow, that's interesting to know, thanks for the information on the VIT, have to keep that in mind.
  • nickwoodsnickwoods Member Posts: 13
    would appreciate any info about out the door pricing on this 08 accord sedan , also has anybody bought this car as a demo with 2k miles, how do you pricing at new car with mileage either drive by the manager etc. out the door price i was quoted 28k you oponion is valued
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    You were kidding about the warranty part, weren't you?

Key scratches are one of the hardest things to fix. They will have to grind off all of the paint around the scratch. They they will have to bondo in the scratch and repaint everything to match. Depending on how long and deep the scratch is, they may have to repaint the whole side of the car.

Your comprehensive insurance policy will pay for this less your deductable.

Be sure to find a quality shop and your car will look like new.

It can be fixed "good" but not "easily".
    "here in Los Angeles the EX-L 4 cyl w/ auto , no navig. including destination charge is $23,000. Our tax is 8.25% ($1897.50) license and registration ($217) and Calif. tire fee ($8.75) are all required"
    Double ugh! on the tax. But at least they are giving you a great price on the base auto price.
    Thanks dnhx. No pinstripes at Goodson Honda North,but they had added paint protection and tint. They also added splashguards, wheel locks and cargo tray.I let them keep the dealer inventory tax and doc fee and argued away the rest.The fact that they knew I had a back up aided greatly in the process.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    "Vehicle Inventory Tax (VIT) - A property tax that dealers pay on their business
    inventory. This is NOT a tax that is required to be paid by the consumer."

Exactly true... but.. try finding a dealer in Texas that doesn't pass it on to the customer as a separate line item.. It may not be required by the government, but that doesn't mean the dealer can't insist on it..

Fortunately, it is a relatively small amount (under $100?).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Yes, around $55 ( ex- 4 cyl) iirc correctly. They were willing to give up on bigger items but needed this to print on the final sales contract.
  • macno0bmacno0b Member Posts: 22
    I have question regarding the Tax Rate in Chicago Illinois:

taxandtags.com states 8.25%

the dealer told me the tax rate was 9.25%,

Edmunds says 8.75%, huh? Which one should I use?
  • sundaylasundayla Member Posts: 2
    Hi tracemiller,
    I am looking for the same 2008 Accord trim LX-P, but the local dealer can not promise the purchase price before TTL, around $19600 or 19700 unless I have a paper proof. Do you mind to send me an electronic copy of your paperwork if you have? You can erase the private info. Or, anybody has the same paperwork. Please send it to me. I am anxious to get one. Thanks. My email is sundayla2008gmail.com.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    This is insane! People beware, Inform yourself of the car before bidding or buying. People like this would scam you without a thought! Buyer Beware.

There is an Ebay listing for an 08 Accord V6 (No Nav) which is wrecked, they stated on their listing that they paid $37k for this Accord. Now this lister is a towing service, they probably don't have a clue what this car specs are. But Laughed when I saw that this "towing service" paid $37k for this Accord! LOL Seriously you have got to be kidding. Also it stated it had the navigation system and yet the pictures of the wrecked car does not even show it having the system, It has the normal 6disc stereo system (smaller screen) not navi scrolling knob. I actually sent the guy a question asked how he could have spent that much on an Accord, when an Acura is just as much.

Take a look at the "08 Accord" on Ebay and you'll see a listing, Accord in need of work . It is white, and briefly states what it has, "paid $37,154 or so. HAHA! :lemon: :sick: :)
  • halecphalecp Member Posts: 14
    Happy Friday. I'm hoping to obtain a little perspective on a quote i received on a Honda Accord Coupe EX 4-cyl Automatic (no leather) here in Ohio

$23,590 before TTL (price includes destination and mudflaps wihich is a dealer opt)
    250 doc fee
    25 license fee
    $23,865 x 7% tax is a grand total of $25,535.55.

Considering MSRP on the Accord Coupe EX 4-cyl is$24,595 (Invoice w/ destination), is the above a good price? I'm new to the "car buying" game, and want to avoid getting swindled if at all possible. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    You're pricing should look like this. Your invoice price is wrong.

MSRP (after destination) $24,630

Invoice (after destination) $22,381

Basically, the dealers are charging you $1,209 OVER invoice, only coming off of MSRP by $790. Doc fees are just extra charges by dealers, these are negotiable, unlike destination charges.

I'd think you could easily do $1,000 better.

*Pricing Info from www.edmunds.com
  • halecphalecp Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for your input. Also, is it possible to receive the 2.9% financing on the Coupes? I know that Honda has 2.9% financing on the sedans, but haven't seen any incentives on the Accord Coupes.

I'm having a VERY hard finding the Accord Coupe EX 4-cyl Auto no leather on Ohio dealer lots. And that concerns me from a bargaining standpoint.
  • vicmeldrew1vicmeldrew1 Member Posts: 10
    you can only get the 4.99% on the coupes so your monthly payment will run around 20 -25 more a month
  • macno0bmacno0b Member Posts: 22
    Anyone?
  • sazesaze Member Posts: 1
    this is the price i am getting

21,100 base
    7% taxes
    $254 DMV
    $199 Doc fee
    $7.5 something else i forget

---------

suggestions/advice welcome. what do u think
  • al63017al63017 Member Posts: 149
    i paid 23,705 for a EXL 4cy 4dr sedan in st. louis plus 149 doc fee.
    came with splash guards and stripes at that price.
    so they are doing you no favors. this was about 300 or so under invoice I believe plus got .09 financing.
    Dealers aren't as apt to cheap sell a car they know is in short supply.

Coupes don't sell nearly as well as sedans and coupes without leather aren't that common.

The price you were given wasn't bad. Not every car needs to be given away.
  • scz3838scz3838 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

Maybe this website would help :

http://www.revenue.state.il.us/Publications/taxratefinder.htm

Remember that tax is based on where your residence is and not where you buy the car. Some dealerships will try to scam you into buying from them because they have lower tax rates in their area.
  • gismapgismap Member Posts: 12
    I just got a quote from St. Louis Honda for a EX-L, 4 cy, 4dr sedan for $24,459 plus doc fee of $159 which was by far the highest of the 7 dealers I contacted.
    Less than $800 from sticker isn't bad?

I disagree, or would keep shopping.
  • don125don125 Member Posts: 4
    Can the dealer fix the damage due to the hail and sell it to the customer without letting customer know the car had hail damage?
    Legally I wouldn't think so.
    No, that isn't a bad price. As I said, not every car has to be cheap sold.

Finding that car may be that poster's biggest challenge.
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    not a bad price keep us updated grate car you will really love it thankyou for reading.
  • austinterryaustinterry Member Posts: 4
    Looking for Accord EX-L 4 cyl sedan, auto, no navi in the Austin/Houston/San Antonio area.

Sent out batch of emails - initial responses coming back and best price so far is:

$24,495 (includes desitination)
    +1579.76(taxes)
    +174.05(reg.)

What's the target that is reasonable for this car in these markets? (all prices coming so far are within $60, so no one is making a break-out move yet on pricing) Anyone getting anywhere near the 23K pricing in TX that is reported in Southern Cal for price before ttl?

They offered the 0.9% finance at this price.. anyone seeing lower prices for not taking that financing?

Thanks!
  • gmanandgegmanandge Member Posts: 19
    I just got off the phone w/ the internet salesman/manager from dealer in NH who offered a 4 cyl, auto EX for $22,650 (includes destination and doc fee) and backed it up in an e-mail. I live in MA....not sure that I'll do any better here. What do you all think? Should I buy the car?
  • nickwoodsnickwoods Member Posts: 13
    austin/terry - hi just bought one today you in your area with nav 28,286 otd, let me know if you need any more info
  • corikcorik Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase a new lxp in the next 2 weeks in NY. Anybody get a good price?
  • levtomlevtom Member Posts: 12
    Think you may yet do better from Ma dealers in greater Boston. Internet prices I was offered started at invoice ($22,256) + doc fees($249). Ended up last month at $21,500 + doc fees.
    Good luck.It's a great car!
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    At least here in CA, they have to disclose if they have done any work on the car besides the standard prep work.

P.S. I was given a great quote on an 08 V6 w/ Navi a few months ago and when I inquired more before showing up at the dealership I was told that it was rear-ended and fixed.