Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Isell,
    Were they possibly shooting for money on the "back end " from the factory? Unless, it's a "one only" come on ad I don't think car dealers sell cars at a loss.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Purchasing a car below invoice does not matter.. what matters is what is paid OTD... you can purchase a car below invoice and still have an OTD price more than what the guy who paid more than invoice did OTD in your area.

We ALL pay an OTD price.
  • kay14kay14 Member Posts: 19
    If you believe the dealer pays invoice for a car...... my hats off to you. They are born everyday! Maybe you should go to Rooms To Go when you need furniture and ask to see the invoice on their sofas and beds....... It's a gimmick! A very successful gimmick that has been in use since WWII. I do not know how much they pay for their vehicles... this is a VERY closely held secret in the business. But when I look at Towne and Fitzmall.. I would guess the actual price paid by the dealer is somewhere in the 20 percent below invoice range. I know this comment will elicit all the dealership reps to come out to defend themselves, but everyone is not as foolish as they give credit for. Take a look at how they deal with their used car business.... they don't seem to lose any money there.. How about parts? They're not the cheapest place in town? Labor? Nope! Dont lose money there, either. So why wud a NEW car dealer have the most expensive parts and labor and used cars in the business and sell NEW CARS (their main business) at or below cost?
  • parcrparcr Member Posts: 4
    Closed the dela on Friday for a Black EX-L $23, 300 incl. destination and documentation. Has 10 mi on it.
  • parcrparcr Member Posts: 4
    There is nothing as such like an "invoive price". Dach dealer has his own price that he buys the car from and it depends on many factors, once including the volume of cars sold. So 24018 is a relative number
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Except dealers have no control over sales tax and license. A few states don't even have sales tax.

What is important are "doc fees" and these can be HUGE from what I read on these forums. We charge 50.00.
    I can't speak for other makes but this is a Honda forum and ALL Honda dealers pay the same amount for their cars.

Rumors and mis-information is rampant. There is no conspiracy.

Besides, who cares what a dealer pays? The MARKET will always determine pricing.
  • rbk3rbk3 Member Posts: 34
    Purchased EX last week 21900 + 150 (for dealer to locate the exact color options).

LX-P 20500

Altima 2.5S 19814

All prices were not including tax and license.

I like both the Altima and EX. The Altima looks better IMHO, has a keyless start, nice tranny and a more sporty feel.

The EX has tight steering, 17in wheels, Sunroof, and a little nicer stereo. All in all, they are both good cars. I just choose the EX because I felt like trying Honda. It was a close call. I am happy with my choice. Apples to apples, the Nissan can be bought for 750-1000 less then the Honda.
  • cuvangcuvang Member Posts: 31
    Nice! Good work. These guys(dealers) still make money, just less than they'd hope for thats all. The "invoice" its just for the public and dealers to share. I am sure they have their own "invoice" . Its a business of course they gonna make a profit and as consumers we want a good deal. This is a great forum by the way
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    If you believe the dealer pays invoice for a car...... my hats off to you... I would guess the actual price paid by the dealer is somewhere in the 20 percent below invoice range.

I agree but I think 20% below invoice is a bit too much. IMO, I think it's about 10 to 15%. For a 25K car, dealers can still make about 3K even if they sell it at invoice.
  • personatechpersonatech Member Posts: 105
    My wife and I test-drove both an Altima 2.5 with SL package (moonroof, leather, XM, etc.) and a comparably-equipped Accord EX-L. I'd agree with the assessment that the Altima was a bit "sportier", primarily due to its lighter weight. The quality of the interior was superior in the Honda - the wood trim looks like wood whereas the Nissan's looked more like a plasticized sticker. Both were comfortable but the Honda is decidedly roomier, especially in the back seat. I didn't like the whine of the Nissan's CVT transmission but having a manual option was nice.

In the end, we bought the Honda EX-L with splashguards and wheel locks for 24K before TTL (total OTD around 25.2K). It seemed to be more car for the money, even though the Nissan could be had for a slightly cheaper price, and it certainly exuded a feel of quality that the Nissan lacked.

FWIW, that same day we also test-drove a Chevy Malibu LTZ 2.4L which we assessed to be superior to the Altima in terms of quality and appearance. Had its four cylinder engine been stronger and a few other minor issues addressed, it would have been a tough call between the Honda and the Chevy. It's good to see American design is alive and well - only time will tell if American quality has returned as well.
  • missmelmissmel Member Posts: 13
    Wow that sounds like a good deal after all the research I've done. So $23,300 was what you paid OTD? I hope to purchase my vehicle in the next couple weeks!
  • ladino1ladino1 Member Posts: 6
    I am looking at purchasing the Honda Accord V6 EXL in the dallas area. Please let me know what price I should accept. I have noticed several dealerships have add on's for an additional 3K.
  • smithsincsmithsinc Member Posts: 15
    Nardis,

What was your OTD price, where did you buy your EX-L and did you have to haggle to get it? Thanks
  • halecphalecp Member Posts: 14
    Chong,
    Was the car you just purchased a coupe or sedan? Cloth or leather interior? 4-cyl or 6-cyl? I am in the market for a Honda Accord EX coupe, 4-cyl, cloth interior and would like to know what they are going for. I am looking in OH and surrounding areas. Thanks in advance.
  • aji1234aji1234 Member Posts: 1
    HI guys, i had been trying to get quotes from different dealers in and around KOP, PA for 2008 Accord LX Sedan, auto transmission. the best one i could get is:

Invoice:19181
    D and H: 635
    Sales Tax: 1188.96 (@ 6%)
    Tags ( considering new tags and financing ) 153.95

OTD coming to around $21160.

does this sound ok?

-aji
    Where did you purchase your car at this price? What was your OTD #? I am in the market for an Accord EX coupe 4-cyl, cloth interior, and your offer puts my initial offer to shame. :( Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    I am in the market for the above (cloth interior), and wanted to run a dealer quote by you all and get some feedback...

$22,943 (after destination) + $250 doc fee + OH tax (6.75%) + $25.50 license fee for a grand total of $24,784.02 OTD.

Has anyone gotten a better deal in OH or surrounding areas? On a bigger scale, is this a good deal or should i push them for better? How much lower do you all think i should try to go?
    Perspective would be much appreciated. Thanks!
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    "I agree but I think 20% below invoice is a bit too much. IMO, I think it's about 10 to 15%. For a 25K car, dealers can still make about 3K even if they sell it at invoice."

And THAT is the mis-information that is being tossed aroud here as if it were ture! Agin, dealer holdback (the difference from invoice to actual dealer cost) is 3%! There are no volume discounts, no specail pricing for prefered dealers.
    And THAT is the mis-information that is being tossed aroud here as if it were ture! Agin, dealer holdback (the difference from invoice to actual dealer cost) is 3%! There are no volume discounts, no specail pricing for prefered dealers.

FACT-I don’t think dealers can be survived w/ 3% hold back. They might be able to do that 15 or 20 years ago when we don’t have the “internet”.

I heard that all the time when I purchase my car…we only make $50 with this car…or…we’re losing money with this deal. I just look at them and say “…but you’re still in business and keep selling me cars” :surprise:
  • larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    If you believe the dealer pays invoice for a car...... my hats off to you. They are born everyday! Maybe you should go to Rooms To Go when you need furniture and ask to see the invoice on their sofas and beds....... It's a gimmick! A very successful gimmick that has been in use since WWII. I do not know how much they pay for their vehicles... this is a VERY closely held secret in the business. But when I look at Towne and Fitzmall.. I would guess the actual price paid by the dealer is somewhere in the 20 percent below invoice range. I know this comment will elicit all the dealership reps to come out to defend themselves, but everyone is not as foolish as they give credit for. Take a look at how they deal with their used car business.... they don't seem to lose any money there.. How about parts? They're not the cheapest place in town? Labor? Nope! Dont lose money there, either. So why wud a NEW car dealer have the most expensive parts and labor and used cars in the business and sell NEW CARS (their main business) at or below cost?

I AGREE 100%! Very well said.
    "FACT-I don’t think dealers can be survived w/ 3% hold back."

Until you actually work in a dealership, you can think all you wish. But the truth is far from what you beleive.

In todays information age don't you think that this information would be out there? Seroius -- think about it.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    In CA, you can get a LX-P automatic for around $21,500-$22,000. A LX-P costs about $1000 more then a LX. Since you are wanting to buy a LX automatic, I would suggest not paying more then $21K for a LX. If you can get a deal OTD between $20,600-$21,000, go for it. I think $21,160 is a little high. Under $21K would be a good deal. The Accord is a excellent car.
    The scary thing is the fact that some people read some of this mis-information and believe it.

Holdback, by the way isn't 3%. It's 2%. This changed sometime last year.
    I know it 2% (on the invoice) but the 1% fixed cost adjustment that shows on the dealer statement 30 days after the RDR. So it could take 59 days before the additional 1% comes in.
  • rkc13rkc13 Member Posts: 1
    Just got 2008 EX-L w/Nav 4Cyl., $25,595 plus $280 Dealer Fee/Title.

I think I did alright...less than what Edmunds said I should pay.

Now the fun begins...or rather the long process of learning how to use the Nav!!!
  • a51510546a51510546 Member Posts: 2
    oops~ my post got deleted.sorry board master.

Someone mentioned he saw a dealer online ad for LXP auto for $18988..

I think this is ok as no link is provided.
  • accordfeveraccordfever Member Posts: 6
    Spent a ton of time researching and best I could do was 22.100 otd for LX-P automatic in Sacramento. Many of you have gotten better deals, but I was tired of the games dealers play. I know I could have gotten a better deal on a color other than Polished Metal, but that's the one I wanted - it's very popular! Anyhow, had a terrible experience at Carmichael Honda - they were dishonest, insulting and creepy! Elk Grove had the best service and we were out in one hour!
  • rbk3rbk3 Member Posts: 34
    It sounds to me like you got the color you wanted, polished metal. Is this in fact a popular color choice? The color choice for me is worth spending extra, which I did in procuring my EX.

Best of luck Fever
  • missmelmissmel Member Posts: 13
    isellhondas,

What would you say is a good price for an Accord Coupe EX-L?

Thanks.
  • carbcarb Member Posts: 14
    For the dealers out there who defend that they do pay invoice for a car, lets do some math. Let's make some reasonable assumptions: - Average selling price of a vehicle in a dealership = $20k, average salary of the staff at the dealership= $40k/year or 3.33k/month. If a dealer survives only on the 3% holdback (3% of 20k = $600 a vehicle) and there are about 25 people on staff at a dealership in the sales and administrative deparment, they would have to sell about 138 vehicles/month just to break even. (Lets not even consider the other departments like service, parts and etc. and assume that they can take care of themselves)

And overheads like utility bills, rent and other costs still have not been added to the equation.
    No dealership will be open for business if told that they need to sell 100+ vehicles in a month just to keep the lights on. Period.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    I used to think Carmicheal Honda was one of the best dealerships in Sacramento but after reading your post, I guess not. I have come to learn in the car buying experience that if a dealership gives good customer service, haggling for the lower price is not worth it and its good to just buy the car. Congratulations on the new accord and you will certainly enjoy it. Best car for the money. All around vehicle.
  • nardisnardis Member Posts: 4
    I havent bought the car yet..
    I am in the market for the above (cloth interior), and wanted to run a dealer quote by you all and get some feedback...

$22,943 (after destination) + $250 doc fee + OH tax (6.75%) + $25.50 license fee for a grand total of $24,784.02 OTD.

Is this a good deal or should i push them for better? How much lower do you all think i should try to go?
    Perspective would be much appreciated. Thanks! :D
    What about used cars, service and parts, accessories, rust, paint and fabric protection and F&I? What about the fact some people pay MSRP while others pay invoice.

No one said dealers are not making money -- it's just where the profit centers are. Right now, new cars is not a large profit center.

So nice try on the math. Again, in todays information age, why has not a single person discovered this so-called secret money you assue is out there? Why does Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book, NADA or countless other consumer oriented sites not publised this information?

Please explain.
    So nice try on the math. Again, in todays information age, why has not a single person discovered this so-called secret money you assue is out there? Why does Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book, NADA or countless other consumer oriented sites not publised this information?

Because this is a big mess that no one knows the exact number. I think each dealer gets diff. discount, bonus...etc. This is like the cell phone companies. We don't really know the way they run their businesses. You can get a better deal on cell phone from a third party than get it directly from the company. Do you think that those third party dealers are losing money each month?

Why some car dealers like to sell cars at rock bottom price than other dealer? Because they don't want to make money?

In gas stations business, even though those stations can barely make money from selling gas directly, they get bonuses at the end of each month from the gas company. I heard some busy stations get 5K/month bonus. I know this because my sister also owns a gas station.
    "Because this is a big mess that no one knows the exact number."

Huh? Your excuse is laughable. Gimme a break. Someone, somewhere, perhaps a former employee or a consumer advocate would publish this information once it was found.

"I think each dealer gets diff. discount, bonus...etc."

What makes you think this? Is it just a "gut" feeling? Do you really think there is some sort of conspiracy hatched by Honda which EVERY consumer information site, including this one, have made an agreement with Honda to not publish this super-secret discount money?

"This is like the cell phone companies. We don't really know the way they run their businesses. You can get a better deal on cell phone from a third party than get it directly from the company. Do you think that those third party dealers are losing money each month?"

This makes no sense and does not help your argument. However, it shows that you are the type who thing every company in the world who deals with the end-user consumer has some agenda to make an obscene profit off you -- but you're too smart for them :)

In my opinion, you're making purchases more stressful then it ought to be. Do you drive six extra miles to save two cents per gallon on your gas purchase?

I'm not going to banter back and forth with you. You will continue to believe what ever non-sense you spread around here. Meanwhile, me and the truth will be ignoring you.

****BACK ON SUBJECT****

Do to a very low suppy of accords available in the twin cities area, metro dealers have increased prices for Accords. Suppy VS. demand.
    I have quit (for the most part) responding to know it alls who have their little conspiracy theories.

I just wonder where they get these ideas?
    My favorite quote from, 'Honda Frontline Magazine':

"Never guess on a question a customer has. If you dont know, acknowledge to the customer you dont know, but find out the answer. If you wing it, customers will know. They will be much more likely to trust you if you simply say, 'I don't know, but I WILL find the answer."

Tony Robertson, Internet Manager
    Honda of Seattle
  • purchasingsoonpurchasingsoon Member Posts: 74
    i recently visted a mpls-area honda dealership and it was pretty busy. 3 accord's were sitting out front w/sold signs and appeared to be waiting for delivery. i was also told that all of the 4-door civics were sold out. amazing. i've been visiting a lot of competing dealers over the past few weeks (infiniti, acura, lexus), and none of them were even close to as busy as the honda dealership. didn't have a chance to talk about terms w/the sales person, i just wanted to get a test drive of the V6 accord under my belt. if i can't get a decent deal though i'll pass, stimply too much competition to pay a significant premium over invoice in this market.
  • carbcarb Member Posts: 14
    Ok then. I will continue to buy my new vehicles under invoice (which I have) - which by your contention, the dealer is losing money selling to me (woohoo for me). Guess the dealer will just have to find some sucker to pay MSRP so that they can make up the difference.

Wow, I feel so much better already. Whew!... Give me a break..
    Hey Carb,

I am looking at getting a Honda EX-L 4cyl (w/o Navigation), and the dealer is quoting me $25,100 OTD, is that a good price? Is that a reasonable price or should I be paying less? If you or anyone else on the site with the knowledge and/or experience, please fire away. Thanks
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    With no way to know what taxes are being charged its pretty hard to tell, but assuming that it is an automatic-equipped car, invoice with destination is $24,188 according to Edmunds. On a coupe model, which is harder to come by in the particular color and trim level you want, I'd say invoice + TTL is a fair price. If tax is under $900, you might could do a little better; if it is more, I'd say you've got a deal.
    The $25,100 OTD price has all the costs built in, including the 3% NC sales tax. So do you think that I am paying too much or should I go ahead and pull the trigger on this pruchase? Anyone is free to jump in here or if someone in NC received a better price for the same type of car, please feel free to contact me or just post on the forum. Thanks
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    You might could go a little lower (invoice would be my target and you are right at it), but if you feel comfortable with the deal, and the people you are dealing with, I'd buy the car. Having a comfortable buying experience can be worth a lot more than a few hundred dollars saved elsewhere.
  • larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    Too much but fine.

3% tax means $750 and per the above posters notes it's only a good deal if your tax was over $900.
  • bobo8652805bobo8652805 Member Posts: 2
    What dealer in NC are you working with? The deal sounds better than I have been offered around the Charlotte area.
  • gkelmgkelm Member Posts: 9
    Killer deal, there! That's encouraging. I'm all over the map on what to buy (TL, G35, even and Audi A3), but the V6 Coupe is still in the running. Thanks for posting, great forum!

Greg

---------------------------------
    #20719 of 21285 Finally YES!!! by synergy3 Jun 07, 2008 (12:03 am) Save | Reply
    Okay so after such a horrible experience at Riverside Metro yesterday (see post #20688 - http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef006d2/20687)

I went to the other dealership (Honda Santa Ana) and am a VERY happy customer. Did not even have to talk pricing at all (even without a written quote), the price agreed upon was honored and I was treated very nicely, given my experience from the day before it is a breath of fresh air to be treated so well and honestly. The internet/fleet guy was experienced very easy going, true relationship selling and personable.

I got a Nighthawk Black EX-L V6 Coupe AT - $26,100 (vehicle price no TTL), no problems at all, I was still somewhat bitter from the day before was very defensive and on guard to the sales manager when he came out to see if I'd be interested in adding a cosigner on the loan to see if they can beat the bank rate but understood when I firmly said no and I will leave immediately.

In the end they did beat the bank, barely but they did beat rate so got the loan under same terms, no problem giving the loan to the dealership

Day and Night from one dealership to another - the number quoted is the number received. No hassle. Also received - Wheel Locks, Splash Guards and 25% tint....at no extra charge.
    ------------------------------------------------------
  • kingpcgeekkingpcgeek Member Posts: 1,051
    I hear you about being all over the place. I have a lease ending on a G35. That is my preference for a replacement but it doesn't seem like Infiniti wants to lease cars right now. If history repeats itself they won't lease well again until next March. Especially with the new G37 sedan coming out.

An Accord EXL 6 Sedan is in the picture and I was also going to take a look at the 09 Mazda6 but I bet they will lease very poorly. Then the flip side says save some money and get a 4 cylinder Accord or even cheaper a Mazda3.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    I spoke to someone at Hubert Vester Honda in Wilson, NC.