Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• howmuchyoupayhowmuchyoupay Member Posts: 12
    We are not sure if this is regional as those numbers were reported by our members. Edmunds doesn't allow our url or email, so we just provided the information for car shoppers, There were 3 similiar quotes within that range(25~25.5), and they are all from different regions.

Hope it helps.
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    LOL! There is a cryptic answer.
    lol, last time we posted this info and got deleted by edmunds saying we couldn't request members to send email. So no email, no link, and nickname can't contain any keywords for us.

We go those quotes reported at end of September. What we would advise you is offer that amount(or maybe a little bit lower) to as many dealers around you as possible, and see who bite it. The reason we have kind of confidence in these quotes(even those are just quotes) is one of the quotes is actually an OTD quote with details listed.
  • fl2008fl2008 Member Posts: 1
    Looking to purchase an 08 EX or EX-L Sedan Auto in Jacksonville, FL within the next week. I am in the process of gathering quotes from local First Coast dealers. Realistically, how low are the dealers willing to go on the new 08s? Anyone had any experience w/the Jacksonville area dealers?
  • benziebenzie Member Posts: 4
    Is $23240 including desination fee a good deal now?
  • honda09honda09 Member Posts: 15
    I was offered the 2009 accord ex-l with navi 4 door 4 cyl for
    Destination and Handling: $670 (taxable)
    NJ State Sales Tax 7%
    NJ Tire Fee $7.50 (not taxable)
    NJ Motor Vehicle: $254 new plates, title, 4-year Registration (not taxable)
    Doc Fee $199 (not taxable)
    28555.49 total...
    i emailed another place and he just emailed me to ask me what is the price i want him to match. what should i say?
    i would like to say 25000 including destination fees then plus the tax, mv fees and doc fees. is that pushing it too much or not pushing it at all? Please can someone get back to me quick..
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Invoice is $25,888 (not including destination). You're paying $25,786 (include the doc fee in that, it is simple profit for the dealer, and should be negotiable).

So, I'd say $102 under invoice for an 09 model is pretty good. I'd tell the other dealer you'd like them to match $25,000 plus destination, including the doc fee. If he can get somewhere close to that, you've done quite well.

As it stands, you don't have a bad deal right here, to tell you the truth.
    The Graduate..
    I totally understand what you are saying but i would like to get a better price. i know thats kinda pushing it but i'm new at this whole negotiating thing so i dont knwo what i should tell him.. I really would like this..
    25000 including destination fees
    7% tax
    400 MV fees
    179 doc fees
    249 etching vin..
    27578 total. how does that sound. is that pushing it or not pushing it at all..
    "I was offered the 2009 accord ex-l with navi 4 door 4 cyl for
    25,587.00 Destination and Handling: $670 (taxable)"
    [For a total of $26257.00]

"i emailed another place and he just emailed me to ask me what is the price i want him to match." [Remember, the quote to match is $26257.00]

"i would like to say 25000 including destination fees then plus the tax, mv fees and doc fees."

Umm, that would make you a liar.

[edit added]

I would never lie to a customer, nor would I ever advocate lying to a customer. I would expect the same in return.

The better way to go about it is to tell the other dealer the actual quote and then add that you are looking to be at $25000.00 including the destination charge. I doubt he can do that deal (i can't, but who knows?) but he may counter with a better offer then the $26257.00.

Just my .02
  • ljctxljctx Member Posts: 14
    That's $200 under invoice. Pretty good for a 2009. Are you also getting 3.9%/60mo f
    Ok.. didnt mean it to sound like that. My bad.. Like i said i'm really new at this.
    My co-worker told me to just say 25500 its just rounding down. and then ask him if he can do any better or if he can throw some incentives.. How does that sound?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    Sorry... that's not lying..

If you tell someone that you can't go any lower than your quote.. and, then drop another $200 to make the deal, does that make you a liar?

"I can get a better deal across town", is not a lie.. It might be a bluff.. Are poker players all liars? No, they are just playing the game. Negotiating a price for a car is also a game.

No need to call someone names, just because you don't like the way they play.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I beg to differ, but maybe I'm cut from a different cloth.

If some ask a direct question, I.E, "What is the price I have to match?". I would expect a direct, honest answer. Not a bluff.

In your example, I wouldn't consider that a lie since no specific figures are tossed out.

Again, I think (taking the high road) I would be to say, 'the other dealer is at $26XXX including destination, but I'm looking to be closer to $25000.00 including destination. Can you do that? Or, if you can't, how close can you get to my target price?'

I think with a direct approach like that, you cut all of the BS out and get straight to a figure without all of the back and forth stuff.

Again, my .02
    Looks like a little different idea on what the "price I need to match" is. Our friend the Honda dealer views that as "what has the other dealer offered" while others may view it as "what price the dealer should offer in order to secure the deal."

It really could be viewed both ways, and I think neither is wrong.

I do think that offering $25,000 including destination is going to get you nowhere with the other dealer; its pretty unreasonable at this time for an 09 model. I can see $25,670 including destination being more feasable ($25,000 + the $670 for dest). I'd probably suggest you'd pull the trigger with dealer A if you could get that price, and see what they say. If they counter with $26,000 even, you're $500 or so further ahead than you would be now. If you say $25,000, that dealer will probably tell you he can't do it, and tell you to buy from that other dealer; effectively ending negotiations with the second dealer.
    "If you say $25,000, that dealer will probably tell you he can't do it, and tell you to buy from that other dealer; effectively ending negotiations with the second dealer."

It's funny you mention that. This just happened to me last night. I got a really, really low offer on an '09 Accord. Rather then just saying no, I explained why I can't sell it for that price and then provided a price that was slightly better then my original offer (about -175 under invoice).

The customer writes back something to the effect, 'Wow, other dealers just said no. You took the time to explain your price and while I'm looking for a much better deal it looks like a can't get a much better deal. What colors do you have?'

In fact, I remember him wanting us to give him the holdback and me saying it's called dealer holdback, not customer hold back. And now-a-days it seems like thats the only profit on a new car and we have zero reason to give it to you. He understood that.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    That's the way the negotiations should go, professionalism on both sides, worst that can happen is you shake hands and part ways, but still leave the door open. I do have one question though. If you were one unit away from making some commission bonus and time was running out, would you call that customer back and do the deal?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    Again, I think (taking the high road) I would be to say, 'the other dealer is at $26XXX including destination, but I'm looking to be closer to $25000.00 including destination.

Well.. if he says that, he's given up all of his info, and is basically at the dealer's mercy... I'd say that would make him a pretty poor negotiator... If he says that, he has locked himself in at $26,XXX - $100, most likely.

If you back out of an agreement, or change the terms, that's a problem... But saying, "I can do better across town, they offered $XX,XXX... ", that's negotiation. I'm sure it'd be better for dealers, if their customers all told them what their best offer was, so far.... but, not so good for the consumer. :surprise:

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

It all depends. If it's a deal that makes sense store wide (not just me) then we would consider the deal.

Me (and me alone) I would rather not call that customer back. The only reason is I would lose my credibility from a few weeks prior when I said no, this is the best offer I can do. So for me, it's more of a face save. However, I would have no problem splitting the deal with my business partner by having him come in to be the hereo with a great new price. Half of something is better then all of nothing. :)
  • benziebenzie Member Posts: 4
    I got a quote of $23975 before everything for the new 2009 EX-L V6. Is this a deal? Any thoughts?
    That's $2,000 below invoice. I don't believe it. Must be for a 2008 Honda.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Or there is an under-allowance on the trade.
    Or it's a 4 cylinder
    Wow! That's around $1000 less than the lowest price our members reported. Any more details as we could do more research on it?

Thanks!
  • tutimajaratutimajara Member Posts: 2
    Hi there, when you want to sell this car, contact me, i am interested in one of those cars,
  • tutimajaratutimajara Member Posts: 2
    Hi there, when you want to sell this car, contact me, i am interested in one of those cars
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Quotes do not mean anything especially "before everything"
    What matters is the OTD price because we ALL pay an OTD price.
  • tgtytgty Member Posts: 3
    Got this quote, what do you guys think ?

09 Honda Accord EX Sedan

Car ( Accesories: Paint & Fabric protection, Tinted Windows, Mud Guards, Key Locks, Cargo Tray ) $23,300
    Tax 6.25% $1,456
    Documentary Fee $50.00
    Title Fee $58.80
    License Plates $60.80
    Inspection Fee $23.75
    Full Deputy Fee $5.00
    Dealer's Inventory Tax $57.80

OTD = $25,012
  • kingpcgeekkingpcgeek Member Posts: 1,051
    "What matters is the OTD price because we ALL pay an OTD price.

Have to disagree on this one. OTD can mean so many different things based on what state/county/city the car is being bought in. OTD is a useless number to compare deals on. What matters for comparison sake is selling price of the car.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    Lets say you are shopping for a car. Are you indicating you will not shop and OTD price? An individual's tax rate should be consistant so buying out of town or state will not matter because tax is based upon residency. Shopping an OTD provides an easy number to work with that we ALL pay.
    Of course what I just mentioned may not matter if you shop for other people because they may have a differnt tax rate.
    I am saying that posting an OTD number, here on a forum with people from all across the country trying to compare deals is worthless.

Now if you are working your own deal with several dealers, then of course you are going to compare OTD.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
  • traindrivertraindriver Member Posts: 328
    An individual's tax rate should be consistant so buying out of town or state will not matter because tax is based upon residency. Shopping an OTD provides an easy number to work with that we ALL pay.

Exactly. An individual's tax rate will be the same. However, this forum is researched by people from all across the country. Saying "I paid $25318 OTD" is meaningless to anyone living in another state unless you also clearly break down that number line by line. price of car, taxes, DMV fees, etc.

Sure, we ALL pay an OTD price. What I want to know is what are you paying for the car. I can figure what my OTD would be from there based on MY state tax and DMV fees. What are Accords selling for in NJ, Socal, Tulsa, etc. but most importantly what are they selling for in SC, NC, GA which are the relevant markets for where I live.

Your taxes on automobiles in NC are higher than mine in SC. I pay a maximum of $300 state tax plus about $35 for a new license plate & title. If you and I both go to Hendrick Honda in Charlotte and buy identical cars for the same price, your OTD will be considerably higher than mine.

Out the door (OTD) means how many dollar bills in a paper bag do I have to take to F&I to buy a car.
  • ctozyctozy Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. Thanks in advance for all your inputs.

In the market for an Accord with Navigation and have the following questions:
    a) The car will be used primarily for daily 5-mile commute to and from work, plus occassional weekend visits from Stamford, CT, to NYC or Boston. What's your take on purchasing a 190hp I4 vs. 271hp V6? Which will be eaiser to maintain if I keep the car for 5 years or more?
    b) Playing the new car buying game is not my strongest strength but overpaying for anything is one of my biggest dislikes. What do you think is a good deal for the 190hp I4? and 271hp V6? If possible, please also comment on the 2008 models.
    c) Understand there aren't much changes from 2008 to 2009. Do you know any dealer that may give a good price on 2008?

Thank you.
  • gerrygerrygerrygerry Member Posts: 22
    I4 is best bet. love mine.

Piad $1500 below invoice back in May. Bet you can do better now that the world is ending.

Gerry
  • jkilgorejkilgore Member Posts: 1
    Agreed to Price + TTL over telephone, then when it came to signing the documents, they added prices for tint, clear coat, etc...($3000)...Classic bait $ switch....they called it "MISCOMMUNICATION." What a Joke!!!
    Considering your car's primary function (around town commuting), I'd go with the 4-cyl. It'll meet your driving needs, I'd bet. It also costs less, and will probably have better resale value (as a percentage of new) than the V6, in this age of $3+ gas.
    It will be nice to list the price before tax for other people however if you are shopping for yourself all you will do is confuse yourself by not adding tax.
  • mevander1mevander1 Member Posts: 43
    At invoice or a little below, the dealer still makes money! The dealer gets hold back $$'s on every vehicle, plus any volume discounts from Honda ect. The way to work is to give a firm price and use that price with all dealers in the area. Its not rocket science. In this economic climate, lots of dealers need to get the cars off the lot.
  • centurywmcenturywm Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I am looking for a Honda Accord 2009 EX 4CYL, No NAV, Gray. The current MSRP is $24,255 and the current Invoice is $21,993. After visiting the 3rd Dealership (Castle Honda) in Illinoi-and getting the lowest offer compared from the first 2-I gave $350 of deposit and signed a ILLINOI STANDARD BUYERS ORDER form, and they will have the car ready for me on Monday at which time I have to come in and sign the papers (finance and all other papers) and drive out of the parking lot. Can you tell me if I am getting a good deal?

car price- $21,500
    dest- $670
    doc fee $150
    county tax $15
    8% tax $ 1,786
    license/title $ 150

TOTAL OTD $24,271
  • wildmanwilsonwildmanwilson Member Posts: 4
    Im looking to buy a 2008 Accord LX or EX. My question is... Im going to pay cash but is it better while dealing to let them know Im paying cash or wait until a price is settled upon? Can you get a better or worse deal paying cash?
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Can you get a better or worse deal paying cash?

I don't think it will make any diff. Cash is king right now. Some dealers might want you to finance in the past so that they can get some commissions from the lenders.
    Thanks Gerry. I'm leaning towards the I4 as well. Dealers in CT are holding their ground and offering $26,258 to $26,956 before any fees. What would you suggest as counter prices?
    That's a good point. I'm also leaning toward the I4. Hopefully, a deal can be reached in the next week or two. Will let you guys know what the outcome is.
  • wind316wind316 Member Posts: 1
    In fact, I got the 08 Accord LXP AT $21000 (OTD), Bay Area, CA. And my friend got her EX-L with Nav only 24500(OTD) a few month ago. So, in current big recession, the price should below $1500 from invoice price. I would like to wait for one or two months. I think all the dealers have to slash their price much more. Maybe anther $1000 or more. We notice almost no people visit the dealer office recently. So everybody should be patient.
    Accord dealer also would like to give me 0.9% . Honda have to follow Toyota soon 0%.
    Now, Cash is King!
  • rvs2000rvs2000 Member Posts: 40
    hi
    where did you get the deal? can you tell the dealer name? thanks
    There is no such thing as a volume discount.

Remember, in todays climate the only profit a dealer seems to make is the holdback.
  • centurywmcenturywm Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I am looking for a Honda Accord 2009 EX 4CYL, No NAV, Gray. The current MSRP is $24,255 and the current Invoice is $21,993. After visiting the 3rd Dealership (Castle Honda) in Illinoi-and getting the lowest offer compared from the first 2-I gave $350 of deposit and signed a ILLINOI STANDARD BUYERS ORDER form, and they will have the car ready for me on Monday at which time I have to come in and sign the papers (finance and all other papers) and drive out of the parking lot. Can you tell me if I am getting a good deal?

car price- $21,500
    dest- $670
    doc fee $150
    county tax $15
    8% tax $ 1,786
    license/title $ 150

TOTAL OTD $24,271
    how does this sound guys?
    For a honda accord 2009 ex-l with navi 4 cyl sedan 25,350 just for the car then you have the other fees... how does that sound or should i bargain some more. lol.. thanks!
    Does that include destination fee of $670.00? I was quoted $26,109 including dest fee. That's about $500 BELOW invoice. :)
    No it doesnt include destination fee.. it would be 26020 with destination.. did you buy? are we talking about the same car style/model?
    I will be buying within the next 48 hrs. Trying to get little better pricing today.
    2009 Honda Accord 4 cyl with Nav.
    car prices should always be quoted with destination. its not like its something you don't have to pay. I would be leery of any dealer that is quoting you without the destination charge.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD