Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jnacabjnacab Member Posts: 8
    I checked Edmund's and the figures you're quoting above are for the 4cyl version w/o NAV...
    I'm also in the N. VA market and just bought my 2009 EX-L V6 w/NAV and didn't get invoice, slightly over, but way under MSRP of $31425 (and that's on a dealer demo vehicle), though I figure with the 3.9%/60 financing, still got an OK deal for an 09'
    model with all the options (dealer even left on the splash guards).
  • ajay747ajay747 Member Posts: 6
    Seanp1,

Thanks for your recent post on invoice pricing on your new purchase.
    I would appreciate a lead on the good dealers in the SoCal area you contacted and where you made the final deal. I am considering a purchase soon for the same
    Accord.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    A "demo" may be a new car however it should sell for near or at a used car price.
  • snwhitsnwhit Member Posts: 4
    I haven't completed the purchase yet, but I am getting quotes via email of $200 or $300 under invoice for a 09 Accord sedan LX. The best quote I got was for $19,900 plus Tags (~$200) + Tax (6%) in eastern PA. Edmonds invoice is $20,223 including destination fee. We'll see what happens when I head to the dealership to compete the deal.
  • rhett78rhett78 Member Posts: 22
    Good Luck kk26...John Eagle Honda in Houston quotes an internet price, then when you get there, they have a bunch of very expensive dealer add ons, or at least that's what they wanted to do when I showed up. I dealt with Mariana there, and she was polite and informative, but would not budge on the price.
  • kk26kk26 Member Posts: 8
    thanks, any other dealerships you found to be better or comments about them?
  • tintintesttintintest Member Posts: 7
    I got $500 below invoice on 2009 Accord EX V6 in Western Ohio. Remember Honda has $500 market support now.
  • szerszer Member Posts: 80
    The market support is only for the 2008 Accords if you look carefully enough! ;)
  • vaterpvaterp Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for all the messages guys, but I ended up going with a different car. Couldn't get any dealers around me to make me a good enough offer. Anyway, thanks for the tips everyone and enjoy your car - whatever it is!
  • tintintesttintintest Member Posts: 7
    My bad. :blush: Seems I got a better deal than I thought. :)
    "I got $500 below invoice on 2009 Accord EX V6 in Western Ohio."

Whatever it is below invoice does not matter...what matters is the OTD price. A dealer can have a car for thousands below invoice however may have the higher OTD price. Purchasing a car based upon below invoice is comparable to purching a car based upon monthly payments.
    OTs is the way to go... we ALL pay an OTD price.
    I don't agree with your "SAME" OTD statement. OTD contains TAX in which each of us pays a different % based on the state where we lived in. How can the OTD of one state, for eg Oregon with 0% tax be compared with Indiana with 7% tax be compared? Obviously the IN resident will have to pay a higher OTD due to the tax. Your logic is flawed :confuse: however, it might be better if poster provides a breakdown of his pricing and provide a total, but providing only the OTD wouldn't work in this multi-states forum
  • Hondaguy09Hondaguy09 Member Posts: 3
    Recently i just bought the car from Power Honda Valencia 91355 on 11/23, here's the deal;
    09 Accord 4dr LX-P car price $21,999 OTD, Finance through AHFC 3.9% for 60 mnths, $0 down. The problem is the day after i bought the car, the finance guy called me. He told me that he wants to raised my APR to 4.9% because length of my credit. He wants me to come to the dealer to sign new contract, but i dont want that happen. So why the gave me 3.9% for the first place? i read my contract but it doesnt say anything about interest changing.
    How can they renegotiate a contract after the fact?
    Did they make you sign any papers called the "spot delivery contract". If yes, look through the paper and try to see what it says. If not, call him up and reject him nicely that the contract is lawfully binding as agreed. If he's still being unreasonable, be prepared to tell him that you will be serving him with a lawyer's notice.
  • usshahsusshahs Member Posts: 3
    I was able to negotiate the car w/ splash guards for $24,888. Is that a good price? It seems really good based on Edmunds. Just wondering what other people in IL got recently.
    can you give a full breakdown? doc fee? taxes? and etc. and I assume that it is for the I4 Accord auto/manual? and last but not least, as a warning, having bought my car from IL twice. Some IL dealers (like 80%) give their email quotes w/o Destination fee, just so that you know

thanks
  • usshahsusshahs Member Posts: 3
    Sorry... Yes, I4/Automatic

$24,888 - Car
    $670 - Dest
    $2,057 - Tax
    $158 - Registration Fees
    $150 - Doc Fee

Total car - $27,923
  • Hondaguy09Hondaguy09 Member Posts: 3
    there's NO any "spot delivery contract". i know they just wanna get more money from me. thank you SZER.
    PS: Don't buy car from HONDA VALENCIA(91355)!! nightmare, bad service.
    good price! considering that 3%of base msrp for holdback + floorplan is $853.65 and your price is $900 below invoice, which equals to $46.35 "loss" and even if you consider the $150 documentation fee, the dealer is "only" earning $103.65, which is a very reasonable price that they have given you. Dealers also need money to keep on running and the price is really GOOD ;) . When you buy it, be sure to give them a 5 star rating if there's no problem encountered. Good luck :shades:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Just tell them you won't pay it.. And, if they insist, that you will bring the car back to them..

I'm guessing they will figure out a way to make it work...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Just tell them you won't pay it.. And, if they insist, that you will bring the car back to them..

I'm guessing they will figure out a way to make it work...

Great advice, you beat me to it. I have NEVER seen that tactic fail. If the car is brought back, then they have one more unit to move and it's now a used car with miles on it.
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    Every dealer has people sign a "conditional delivery agreement". This agreement states that the contract you're signing is still subject to final lender approval.

My guess is that you had a score of 710 or higher so the F&I department thought they could qualify you for the Honda Finace "Super Preferred" credit tier. However, perhaps Honda looked at the credit and although the score was high enough there may not have been enough trade lines or or high credit terms to justify the "Super Preferred" credit tier. It looks like AHF counter-offered at "Preferred" - which at 4.9% is still probably better then the alternative.

When it comes to the low rate offers, the dealer CAN NOT mark up the rate. They have to provide you with the same rate that Honda appoves the contract at.

:)
    Thanks for the info...

But, my advice still applies.. Even if they have to contract you at the higher rate, they can lower the price of the car, so that your monthly payment and term remains the same.

Will that cost them some money? Absolutely.. But, probably less than taking that car back.

As noted many times, most people buy on payment. If the dealer sells you the car based on the payment, then they either make good, or take it back. That is the risk they take doing spot deliveries.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• zkeith2zkeith2 Member Posts: 1
    I know someone mentioned something about calling a lawyer, but let's make it a little easier. Say your contract was for 3.9% and that's what you've agreed to. Just don't agree to sign any other contract. You have the car already, what are they going to do? As long as you don't sign any new contract, the car is yours at the contracted price/finance rate.
    Actually, that's not the case...

Deep down in the fine print of every dealer's finance contract is a disclaimer.. If the finance company rejects the contract, and they can't get it accepted elsewhere, then the contract is void..

If that's the case, then you have to take the car back... You have some leverage, but the car isn't yours.. They will repossess it, eventually.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I agree! they do have this fine print on the back of the purchase agreement. :sick: I mean if the matter turns out for the worse, consulting a lawyer would be the most viable option after if your attempts to settle it peacefully has been futile. After all, the car is at least a 20K "investment" and a 1% jump means a lot of extra money paid out. Good luck in settling your case peacefully
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    In this economic condition, why even bother with contacting a lawyer (time and expense involved), I would just return the car, similar deals can be had in other dealerships, or just like kyfdx mentioned just adjust the price of the car to offset the increase in the APR.
    I agree that returning the car may solve the problem. However, once Honda Finance qualifies someone at "Preferred" rather then "Super Preferred" they by law, have to provide the same approval to any different Honda Dealer - there is just no way of getting around it.

So if you contine to shop Honda's you'll get the same rate at every dealer.

Jeremy
    So what?

The point of agreeing to return the car, is to get the dealer to live up to their promise.

If you end up paying more somewhere else.. that's too bad.. but, I'd be damned if I would do it at that dealer.

Because.. until you push, you'll never know if they are blowing smoke, and just trying to pull another $500-$800 profit out of the deal.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Actually, the dealer makes just a $100.00 "flat" on all subvented rates and they can not mark the rate up to make a profit - if you qualify at 3.9% you get 3.9% no questions asked. Honda will reject and return all contacts that have a dealer markup on advertised rates or special rates. So in this case (I'm assuming on the limited information I have), the dealer is not trying to make more money. They simply were not able to secure the loan at the top tier.

I agree there are dealers out there who try to pull a fast one one people. In this case it dosen't stike me as so.

To overcome any doubt I would suggest that the person in question ask the F&I guy to see the actual approval from Honda. That should end all doubt.
    But... that isn't going to get him the price he agreed to...

I still vote for: "I'm bringing the car back if you don't sell it to me for the payment and term we agreed upon."

So... they get a car back with 300 miles on it, or they eat $500 and he gets the deal they promised... I'm betting they eat it.

Your way? He is definitely going to be out more money.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Ohh - did they change the price on him?

I'm sure they'll eat the difference if the guy makes a big enough stink about it. Unless the guy bought the car well into the holdback. Then they'll probably just take the car back if the guy try to "bully" them in to accepting his terms.

It will probably go something like this, 'The price is the price, we haven't changed that. While we figured we could get you approved at 3.9% we couldn't. Honda appoved you at 4.9%, here is the approval.

(customer)'I'm sorry to hear that. How about this, keep the payment the same with the new rate or take the car back'

'I'm sorry but the payment went up with the new approval and I cant make the payment the same'

'Well then you can have your car back!'

'I understand. I'm sorry you feel that way. We will take the car back. We do however, have to charge you for excess wear - $300.00 should cover it.'

'No way! I'm not paying that, you changed the terms we agreed to.'

'No sir, we din't change anything. The car is still $22222.00 and you can still buy it at that price. But, bottom line is the lender didn't approve the contact as written. Now about that $300.00, do you want us to deduct that from your deposit?'

I will bet the conversation goes pretty close to that. Sad but true :)
    "I don't agree with your "SAME" OTD statement. OTD contains TAX in which each of us pays a different % based on the state where we lived in. How can the OTD of one state, for eg Oregon with 0% tax be compared with Indiana with 7% tax be compared? Obviously the IN resident will have to pay a higher OTD due to the tax. Your logic is flawed however, it might be better if poster provides a breakdown of his pricing and provide a total, but providing only the OTD wouldn't work in this multi-states forum"

If you are shopping for other people I can understand.
    If you are shopping for yourself (like the the poster was) the tax rate is consistant so an OTD would matter... We are using a Worldwide forum so we have various opinions however I guarantee that we ALL pay an OTD price.
    "I don't agree with your "SAME" OTD statement. OTD contains TAX in which each of us pays a different % based on the state where we lived in. How can the OTD of one state, for eg Oregon with 0% tax be compared with Indiana with 7% tax be compared? Obviously the IN resident will have to pay a higher OTD due to the tax. Your logic is flawed however, it might be better if poster provides a breakdown of his pricing and provide a total, but providing only the OTD wouldn't work in this multi-states forum"

If you are shopping for other people I can understand.
    If you are shopping for yourself (like the the poster was) the tax rate is consistant so an OTD would matter.
    A dealer can in fact have a car with a lower invoice price however due to junk fees a higher OTD price than other dealers.

We are using a Worldwide forum so we have various opinions however I guarantee that we ALL pay an OTD price.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    We do however, have to charge you for excess wear - $300.00 should cover it.'

Good point. If my memory is correct, I believe there is a clause in the fine print of most contracts that would allow the dealer to do that. That's why folks always recommend to have your own financing lined up BEFORE going to buy the car.
    'I understand. I'm sorry you feel that way. We will take the car back. We do however, have to charge you for excess wear - $300.00 should cover it.'

$0.15/mi. is $45

Good luck collecting...

This is the dealer's risk in doing spot deliveries... Can they charge for use of the car? Yes... Can they collect? Doubtful.

When the deal changes, it's best to walk away.. Once that number starts moving up, you are asking for it.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• rvs2000rvs2000 Member Posts: 40
    is there any accord deals on thanksgiving weekend ? if so, pl send me the dealer and price info. thanks
  • infohoundinfohound Member Posts: 9
    Bought Car in Central VA.
    Got 500 below invoice on 2009 4dr EXL V6 with/nav
    Clean deal no trade ... beware of high doc fees ... max 299 (this is pure profit for them as well)
    Start lower and close for 500 less if possible.
    They are still making 4-500 on the deal.
    Just curious, did the invoice include destination charge? This would mean an invoice of $28536 for the trim level you stated. Or did you get it for 500 below "true" invoice of $27866? This means you would have closed at $27366??? Seems kind of low for that trim level at an MSRP of $31425 (including destination). Also, was this a completely new vehicle or a never titled dealership demonstrator?
    Obviously it is Invoice + destination fee(670) - 500. The destination fee is a legit charge made by the manufacturer, Honda. There's no way that you will not pay it
    Below invoice does not mean anything... what matters is the OTD price. In VA 29,100 OTD for a V6 with Navi can be had. If you paid less OTD you did well indeed.
    I agree with you, however some dealerships count on you not knowing this and base their invoice with this charge. So, in effect, they can show you "invoice" and quote you a "below invoice" offer and still make more off the deal (if you're not aware of this). Bottom line: All negotiating around invoice should be done without consideration of destination charge. After you've negotiated your best deal (based on dealer invoice), then add in destination charge and TTL...
  • tccartccar Member Posts: 3
    MSRP: $25,455
    Dest: $ 670
    Total: $26,125 (According to Edmunds)

Invoice: $23,077
    Total: $23,747 (According to Edmunds)

Offer price: $22,150
    Subtotal: $22,820 (excluding options, taxes, registration, doc fee)

Is $22,820 a good deal? :confuse:

Taxes (5%): $1141 (nothing I can do about this)
    Doc Fee: $297
    Reg: $86 (nothing I can do about this)
    Total: $24,344
    The 500 below includes destination ... yes ... the OTD was 29100.
    I think this represents a fine deal compared with a deal that I was offered just 10 days before for a 2008 that was 28,400 OTD. Car never previously titled ... had 7 miles when they rolled it out of the showroom. Yes ... I stand corrected ... invoice+destination ... destination is unavoidable and paid by the purchaser.
    I got the 3.9 financing as well. I'm glad to see there have been no changes in incentives yet...there will most certainly be some come January. I'm sure you could lay the same deal on the table and get it with little or no haggling.

P.S. Anyone know anything about Honda Care? I'm thinking of getting it to protect all the fancy electronics and switches ... beyond the 36 months, one repair on the Nav system will cost more than the plan.... Your thoughts please .. have a zero deductible price of $895 for 8 years and 100,000 miles.
    Wow, guess you got a good deal. By my math, you paid only $1064 in TTL!!?? What was the dealer processing fee? In what city in VA did you buy?
  • chiro2007chiro2007 Member Posts: 2
    I'm pricing a 2009 Honda EX-L with navigation 6 cyl with wheel locks and splash guards. MSRP is $31,683. I have received a best offer from four separate dealers in Delaware of $28,400 which includes destination charges. The invoice price shown on Kelly Blue Book shows $28,563... but that doesn't include the wheel locks and splash guard that the dealer is adding on... which seems to be about a $150 difference. Looks like I'm about $300 under invoice.

Did someone here say I should be about $500 under? Again, this is for a 2009.

Anyone think I'm going to get this deal much cheaper anywhere else?

Thanks, Eric
    "I'm pricing a 2009 Honda EX-L with navigation 6 cyl with wheel locks and splash guards. MSRP is $31,683. I have received a best offer from four separate dealers in Delaware of $28,400 which includes destination charges. The invoice price shown on Kelly Blue Book shows $28,563... but that doesn't include the wheel locks and splash guard that the dealer is adding on... which seems to be about a $150 difference. Looks like I'm about $300 under invoice.

Did someone here say I should be about $500 under? Again, this is for a 2009.

Anyone think I'm going to get this deal much cheaper anywhere else? "

Just go with the best OTD price...In central VA its $29,100 OTD this includes 3 percent tax.
    I got my splash guards, wheel lock, trunk tray and rear bumper applique "thrown" into the car.

My price was:
    Sale Price: $27541.24 (includes destination fee)
    Doc Fee: $150 (capped in IL)
    Tax(7%): $1938.37 (I am from IN)
    County Tax: $15 (cook county tax) (legit from my research)
    IL 7-day permit: $10 (given 2 weeks though, for the price of one ) (legit charge)

Based on the sale price alone, this is $995 below invoice, not including the items thrown in. This is for an 09 V6 Accord SDN w/ navi.

I know jb_turner is going to say care only about the OTD price, but for a person with 7% tax rate, I would be paying around $29600 OTD, therefore, would this deal be considered worse than the VA deal? Therefore, always negotiate the Sale price and the doc fee as the rest of the fees are usually legit
    Go ahead ... gloat ... Your deal rocks!!! 995 is better than 500!
    You did, by my count a little better than here in VA.
    Congrats!!! If the car was new and no issues ... you win the prize! ... I personally think any price Under 28,000 flat including destination is a good price. Dealers need to make a little money.