Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jeffdtdjeffdtd Member Posts: 7
    If you can get a 2009 at invoice and subtract the cashback, why wouldn't you? 2008's are going to be deeply discounted because they're now subject to 1 year depreciation, of course. If you're going to buy it with 50 miles on it, go ahead and look it up on kelley blue book and see what its worth with 1000 miles on it before you pass up the 2009 thats $1000k more.

The deal on the 2008 V6 coupe someone got on here was sweeeeet! thought.. (not hatin on him)

Anyways, 700 or so below invoice on an 09 HONDA is a no brainer
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I hope you don't think I'm one of those who get "very testy".

It does get old sometimes and some customers just go too far.

But let me ask you about charging "sticker price" since you seem to imply there is something wrong with that. I've asked this question several times in the past and I've never received much of an answer.

Suppose you decided to sell your five year old car. It's in great shape and you have spent time and money making it as presentable as possible.

You do your research and you feel that you would be happy to get, say, 12,000 for it. Knowing how people love to haggle on cars, you advertise it for 13,500 which is close to retail book. You figure if you had to, you could drop your price by 1000-1500 and still be content with the deal.

You run an ad and recieve several calls. The first person to show up just happens to love the car and says " I'll take it, here is your 13,500"

What would you do?

Merry Christmas to everyone!
  • bkc101bkc101 Member Posts: 4
    I bought my 09 EX-L V-6 w/o Nav 6spd. in November here in MD. I paid $26,974 which is $3,000 under list price AND I got 3.9% financing! What an awesome deal for an '09 model! This has got to be the best time EVER to buy a new car--the dealers are hurting more than you know and are willing to haggle over price...stick to your guns! (I LOVE my car btw....I get so many compliments on it!)
    Hey Simplyi,
    Even if you buy your car out of state, you will still have to pay the 6% MD sales tax when you go to register the car at the MVA...just an FYI.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Very good deal..the best Iv seen is $27755 OTD for 09 V6 EXL Navi
  • harnold64harnold64 Member Posts: 6
    From what I've been told, if you plan to keep the car for many years (say 8+ years), then you would be better buying a 2008 model at year end. If you only plan to keep the car 5 years or less, you should consider the 2009 model.
  • harnold64harnold64 Member Posts: 6
    I'm getting the feeling Honda dealers have started to become desperate. When fuel prices were high, everyone was buying Honda. Now that fuel prices have dropped like a rock, Honda sales have been terrible. I think I'm gonna buy early next week.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Not directing this at you, but like Bill Clinton said to George H. Bush, It's the economy stupid!

It ain't fuel prices, it's the economy, car sales across all lines are way down.
  • reechzreechz Member Posts: 50
    Just purchased a 2009 Honda Accord LX-P automatic tranny sedan in silver. No other bells or whistles.
    $20,000 flat plus taxes and tag being transferred from my old car.

Invoice w/ destination charges would been $21,126.

I think I did OK.
  • nexofanexofa Member Posts: 31
    I have an offer on the table (just outside DC in Virginia) for an Accord EX-L sedan, before taxes, tags, and freight, of $23,500. No trade-in. The only dealer-added options (included in the price) were mud guards. What do you think?

I visited the same dealer ten days ago and was told "just under $24k" if I bought before the end of the month. Today, they said they could take off an additional $500. From what I've seen on this site, $23.5 sounds pretty decent.

My leased (Nissan) car isn't due back until mid-February (I have one more payment left to make - $301), so I'm thinking of making a counter offer of $23,200 plus free wheel locks, window tinting, and door guards. Any other negotiating suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
  • jvolljvoll Member Posts: 3
    The best price i've been quoted on a 2009 EX-L 4 cyl sedan is 23,100 before tax, title and dealer paper work costs.
  • fhughfhugh Member Posts: 8
    Never thought honda will have this problem. It does. Take a long high way test before you buy. you are warned !! I am taking the car back to the dealer for repair . :mad: :sick: :lemon:
    OMG, that is probably one of the easiest things to fix and you're having a cow over it, most likely a tire is not properly balanced. Unfortunate, but it happens with all makes. Stop whining, get over it and go to your dealer.
  • fhughfhugh Member Posts: 8
    Not that simple. Check the other forums. Many people get the same problem and could not be fixed. Check the other forums for vibations of EXL V6.

I took it to the dealer. I was told that it is a known problem since the car was sitting there for a long time and the tires get flat spots. I will need to drive 1k miles for it to get better. Balancing it won't make it better. I really doubt it. I am going to ask them to change the tires today.
  • tleetlee Member Posts: 44
    The tires could get flat spots if the car has been sitting there for a long time. I bought a new Civic earlier this year and had the vibration problem on the highway. When the dealer told me it's caused by the flat spots, I was skeptical initially. But the vibration did go away just after a few days' driving.
  • safedriver33safedriver33 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Any idea if I should be able to get a 2009 LX with manual transmission for under 19,000 on the East Coast this week? I was hoping to hear about deals resulting from the current economy and end of year.

Thank you very much.
  • imolam3imolam3 Member Posts: 7
    just picked up my 2009 Accord LXP-Auto for 21750 OTD "Wheel's lock/Mats/Splash guard". ;)

I did a mistake at the end, I agreed to buy Honda Care Ext Warranty [6/72000] for about $900 from dealer, since he aid this is the only time I could add the cost to teh finance amount...but when i got home, I found same warranty for about $550 on Internet or for th3 same amount $900 I could get [7Yr/120K]. I am going to go back and cancel with them. but i am very pleased with car price.

sales person also told me since I noticed many 2009 cars on lot, Honda will stop production for first 3 months in 2009. not sure if that's true though.
    Finally, I would like thank all of you for your help and inputs. Happy New Year :)
    Since you financed the ext warranty, if you cancel it, they will send the bank a check, reducing the principal amount of the loan, but not the monthly payment. And stay away from those after market 3rd party warranties as they are a royal pain to do business with if you have a claim, and many go bankrupt. I got burned by Warranty Gold.
  • hac09hac09 Member Posts: 1
    I only read this forum AFTER i bought mine. I thought I should contribute; just in case it's helpful to somebody.

EX-L, Polished Metal Metallic, Black Interior, few dealer goodies (floor mats, mud guards, stripes, wheel lock).

Base: $22,100
    Freight: 670
    Coupon: -300 ;)
    Purchase Price: 22,470

VA Tax: 686+27
    Processing Fee: 399

OTD: 23,631

The dealer is based in Woodbridge, VA and the one of the guys there was himself surprised at this price. I worked with an internet "liaison" right from the very beginning and she was great. Barely any haggling. She even emailed me the $300 coupon. And, to top all this, I took the 1.9%/3Yr financing.

Both, the liaison and the sales agent were great and helped making the buying process easier.

Anyway, good luck in getting the best price. Happy New Year!!
  • minlabminlab Member Posts: 6
    is it OTD price before tax , tags....... ??
  • Tostitos6Tostitos6 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, first time poster but have been reading this forum for a couple months.

I've emailed most of the dealerships in the baltimore area for quotes on a 09 EX automatic coupe. The best quote I've received was for:

$20,399 base with wheel locks and splash guards included.
    $1224 MD tax(6%)
    $670 Freight
    $222 Tags
    $99 Dealer Processing fee

$22,614 OTD

Is this a good deal? Anyone else get anything similar or better for an ex coupe automatic? Thanks!
  • azkalhanazkalhan Member Posts: 7
    Wow, fantastic deal! I've been shopping here in St. Louis and am getting quotes in the $23,100 range (including the destination) before TTL and doc fees. What were your original quotes at? I know you said you did very little haggling. I'm wondering if I can get them much lower than the quotes I have. It's already about $700 below invoice.
    Thanks hac90! Do you mind posting the name of he person you dealt with? I'm in Vienna but could easily run down to Woodbridge. That's a great price. Just reply to this message and I'll get your response forwarded to my email. Thanks in advance!
    yes, price I quoted is before taxes and tags. Good luck with your search!
  • okaniokani Member Posts: 20
    Just bought Accord 09 EX-L V6 without navy with heated seats, etc (like XM Satellite Radio)
    for 25988
    +2176 NYC tax
    +12.50 NYS waste tire fee
    +210 new plates and NYS Inspection
    Total 28386.5
    remember - it is 09 EX-L V6, it is $110 above invoice but without destination fee.
  • wheel1wheel1 Member Posts: 1
    I learned a tremendous amount reading through this forum! I used mainly email contact with several dealers throughout Arkansas. Although some did not respond, I found the majority did. In the interest of the collective knowledge base, here are the details of my deal.

2009 Accord Sedan, Black/Black (ooooh it looks sharp!) EX-L 4 cyl. auto with Navi: $25,300.00.
    Adds: Trunk mat, all weather floor mats, splash guards, wind deflector, wheel locks and lifetime guaranteed window tint: $514.00.

In Arkansas we pay sales tax when the car is registered, it's not collected through the dealer. So my OTD price was $25,814.00

Hope this helps. Thanks and Happy New Year!
  • blueriverblueriver Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I just bought 2009 Accord EXL V6 with an OTD of $26,600. I got a lot of helpful information from this board, so I wanted to contribute some to this board too, hope it can be some of help to others.

it breaks down to following (according to dealer's paper):

Purchase Price: 24770,75 (including destination fee)

Wish you all have a happy new year!
  • TwoGoldFishTwoGoldFish Member Posts: 14
    Thanks jb turner.
    As you said "Very good deal..the best Iv seen is $27755 OTD for 09 V6 EXL Navi ".
    If you don't mind, please break down the price so I can talk to the dealer.
    Thanks again, Happy New Year!
  • blueriverblueriver Member Posts: 7
    sorry, I forgot to mention that this one doesn't have navigation system and the local tax rate is 6% at maryland.
  • firefyter1972firefyter1972 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. I just started looking around for the above mentioned car and am wondering how much dealers are willing to come off sticker in these hard times. The sales guy I visited here in Charlotte said maybe $2,000. That seemed a bit low since it seems to be a buyers market right now. With the incentives going on now does $24,500 + TTl seem too low??? Sticker is $29,300. thanks.
  • 3rip3rip Member Posts: 2
    I've been reading here as a guest for a week or so. Got a lot of great info so I thought I would sign up and return the favor.

Just got home from buying a new 09 EX-L V6. No navigation. I got the splash guards installed in the deal. I actually passed up my very best offer to buy local. I could've saved $100 more dollars if I would've drove 40 minutes one way, but I would rather buy in town than drive out of town to save $100. Anyway, hope this helps. Here's the breakdown.

Car Price: $25,100
    Tax: 3%: $753 (North Carolina)
    Fees: $299 + $99 + $69 (not sure what the fees are called exactly)

Total Out the Door: $26,320 They also threw in a $100 gift card to Target. There's always something to buy at Target so I really consider this an extra $100 off the car in a way.

There might be better deals out there, but I am satisfied and I was able to keep my business local. Hope this helps.
  • 3rip3rip Member Posts: 2
    I just posted right below you. We just bought a new Accord in North Carolina today. Take a look a the breakdown in my post above. I had two dealerships competing and I really think I got CLOSE to bottom. Not sure about that, but the dealership that is known for giving the best deals around here finally gave up. They actually offered me the best deal by $100, but I would rather buy local that drive out of town to save $100.

My out the door price for an 09 EX-L V6 without NAV was 26,320. I also got the splash guards installed for that price. They also threw in a $100 gift card to Target. So I look at that as a $100 bill in a way. Hope this helps.
  • snwhitsnwhit Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased an Accord LX 09 automatic for $19,141.36 plus tax ($1285) and tags ($210.15) in eastern PA. Took alot of emailing and last minute phone calls to get this price. One salesman at the the local dealership told us that they could not match this price, but then we called their internet sales department and they were able to match that price. Probably the end of month and end of year deadlines helped. We financed at 1.9% for 3 years.

Lesson learned - We purchased the gap coverage and honda care extended warranty, as we were told we can cancel within 30 days. I hadn't thought to research them ahead of time, but are now planning to cancel them after doing some more research online and finding the warranty for more than a $1000 less ($755 online versus ~$1950 through dealer). The warranty was interesting in that they said they would refund the warranty cost if we had no claims on it. We should be able to get our money back, but because we financed it the refund will go towards the loan - our monthly payments will stay the same but we'll pay off the loan quicker.

I learned alot from this forum. Thank you!
  • pvishal79pvishal79 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased 09 Accord LX AT for $20627 OTD plus $28 for doc fees for financing. I got 1.9% APR for 36 months. This is in Florida (6% sales tax). I was negotiating with around 8 dealers over the email, negotiated the price online and got everything in writing before I went to make the purchase. The $28 doc fee was a surprise, since the dealer never mentioned it and it wasn't included in the OTD price somehow. But apart from that, not a bad experience. Be prepared to send a lot of emails though, if you go this route!
  • jfhouchensjfhouchens Member Posts: 8
    I live in western Loudoun county in VA and wanted to purchase as close to home as possible. After sending out e-mail requests, I ended up negotiationg between two dealers. Leesburg Honda in Leesburg and Criswell Honda in Germantown.

The best deals I have received via e-mail and validated via phone conversations yesterday are from Criswell. The only other additions are for $670 freight and $100 dealer prep/admin fee:

2009 LX-P $19,000
    2009 EX $20,500
    2009 EX-L w/ Nav I4 $24,300
    2009 EX-L w/ Nav V6 $26,400

I wanted to purchase from Leesburg because they are closer, but he wouldn't budge off his price saying he needed to make 'some' money on the deal. I figured if one dealer could do it, shouldn't another? I have an appointment to purchase at that price tomorrow (Jan 2nd) with Criswell. I will decide between the EX-L w/ Nav models once I drive them both again.

Any suggestions or comments on the I4 vs V6? Price vs. performance?

Thanks...
  • jwmsjwms Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    Did your price from Criswell for the EX-LV 6 with Nav include the 3% VA state tax? I ask becuase I am looking for a EX LV6 as well.

thanks in advance for the follow-up.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    go with the I4..plenty of power
  • jfhouchensjfhouchens Member Posts: 8
    No. The prices didn't include the freight ($670), dealer prep ($100) or TTL.

Let me know if anyone has any better pricing. I still can't believe Leesburg wouldn't match; a little bummed, but I guess I'll purchase from Criswell tomorrow.
  • snwhitsnwhit Member Posts: 4
    We had a strange situation where the salesman I had worked with wouldn't match a lower price from elsewhere, and so we were prepared to drive an hour to get the best price. As a last ditch option, my husband (who has a different last name than me, not sure if that made a difference) called and asked for their internet sales department, told them we were about to go buy the car from another dealer and could they match the price, and that salesperson said yes, we can do that. It was a little awkward when we got to the showroom and the ran into the first salesman, but I didn't worry about it too much as we had given him the opportunity to match the price and he said he couldn't.

So, it might be worth it to call the local dealership one last time. Good luck with your purchase!
  • memvmemv Member Posts: 2
    I'm having a hard time finding the car I want in my local dealerships. I want the cherry red, light interior w/wood, 4 door, E XL WITH Navi. I live in El Paso TX & I've called las cruces NM & it's not in stock.

Does anyone know of how I could figure out what dealership does have it? Ideally, i'd like to see/drive before i sign for it.

Also, I'd like to see a Prices Paid discussion on this exact car. Most discussions are for the e xl w/out navi or the e xl v6 with navi, neither is the one i want. THANKS!
  • traindrivertraindriver Member Posts: 328
    I helped my sister buy a 09 EX-L 4 cyl. today, Jan 1st in Greenville, SC for 24,350 otd. South Carolina sales tax is capped at $300, a new tag is about $35-40, so that's roughly $24,000 for the car.

Had 2 internet quotes for 24,400 from local dealerships. Sis is happy. Too bad we couldn't get there before the end of business 12/31/08 as the quote was $23,900 otd, everything included. :cry: It was really too late by the time we got the info and she really had not decided between the Altima and the Accord, nor if she was ready to buy NOW until she saw the Accord and drove it today. Still a good deal though....everyone is happy. If we had acted earlier in December and had a little more time to shop around, we might have squeezed a few more nickels and found someone to match the original price (or better) but we had time constraints with work schedules and incentives about to expire in a few days. I was very pleased with the staff at Breakaway Honda. Hope this helps someone in the Carolinas and Ga region....

This is my first real world experience with going through the internet department and I must say that it is certainly the way to go for a quick no hassle experience.

Happy New Year!
  • EndzoneEndzone Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to the forums as well, and have been reading for a couple months as well. I'm in the South Jersey area and looking for a 09 EX AT Coupe too. I called around to most of the local dealers and have not got any quotes nearly as good as $22,614 OTD. I've been waitng around to try to get a dealer down to $24000 OTD.

Would you mind sharing the dealership name? I would actually be willing to drive down to Baltimore for that price. It's a good deal. Thanks.
  • TwoGoldFishTwoGoldFish Member Posts: 14
    Jfhouchens,

I got a quote from Ourisman Honda in Bethesda, MD and I am still negotiating the best deal. Here is the quote:

2009 Honda Accord EXL V6 Navigation Sedan

Selling Price: $25995.00
    Add:

$100 Processing Fee (Virginia Dealers charge $289-$399 or more)
    $670 Destination
    Sales Tax (Maryland is 6%, D.C. is 6% or 7%, and Virginia is 4%)
    *Virginia Dealers charge 3.20% if you are a Virginia resident
    Tags, Title and Registration

OTD price is $28,610.40 for MD

Good Luck and post the break down price you got.

Happy New Year!
  • traindrivertraindriver Member Posts: 328
    You can do a search on Ebay for "2009 Accord" and you will see actual pictures of a red sedan with tan leather. Sorry, no nav on these but there are other ones pictured that do have the nav system. I am guessing here, but it sounds like you may be looking for a needle in a haystack if the red/tan/nav is a must have. A good dealer will be glad to look around for one to do a "dealer trade/swap" with in your region. Or, they might be able to see if one is in the production pipeline that they can have re-routed to their dealership for you. good luck

BTW, the red color on the 4 door sedan is more burgundy than "cherry" red. (basque red pearl) The 2 door coupe red is more like fire engine red. (san marino red) Two entirely different colors!
  • tenstepntenstepn Member Posts: 9
    I'd like to chime in on the I4 vs V6...I drove them both...4X in fact, and I can honestly say that the 4cyl does have enough power and gets great gas mileage. BUT, the V6 was quieter at cruising speed and has a nice growl to it when you stand on the gas. The mileage is just 1 or 2 mpg less so not really a penalty there. I went the V6 route. It also seemed to have a better ride. Bottom line, performance is up to the driver. My fiance told me I didn't need the V6...until she drove it. So go forth an drive! City, Highway, cruise, mash the gas, the two cars drive very different! End of story..more to come on my deal soon....

Happy New Year!
  • pat565pat565 Member Posts: 11
    Does anybody know if Honda will continue their $750 cash back to dealers on Accords in Jan.?
  • e419e419 Member Posts: 8
    one of the dealers that I got quotes from said it is only until January 5th. Not sure if that's accurate though, or if they're just trying to rush me into buying.
  • holewholew Member Posts: 71
    I took delivery on my Accord EXL V6 in mid-Dec 2007 and paid indicated dealer invoice plus tax and destination. I used a local dealer's Internet buying salesperson. Three months later the same dealer sent me an E-Mail that I could get $500 off the invoice price of any car in stock.

My car was factory ordered right off of the truck and the dealer did not require me to pay for any extra dealer add ons. One dealer tried to tell me that I could not get a car as it comes from the factory. I would have to take a car in stock either from that dealer or have him get one in my color from another dealer, and since dealers automatically add extra stuff such as pin stripes, mud flaps, door edge guards, etc. I would have to pay for them. I told that dealer to take a hike and went to another one in the Baltimore Area and got exactly what I wanted w/o any dealer add ons. That dealer was Anderson Honda in Baltimore. An honest dealer from whom I would buy another car in a minute. It is nice to know there are come class dealers out there.

In the car market today I believe that you should be able to get a an 09 Honda Accord for about $500 below dealer invoice or perhaps lower. Also I was able to get the extended 84 month 120,000 mile non-deductible warranty for $1099. The list price of this is usually $1999.

The car market is dead now. If you are in the market for a new car there are all sorts of deals out there. Don't take the first offer unless you have done your homework and know what the possible prices are.
    Also I was able to get the extended 84 month 120,000 mile non-deductible warranty for $1099. The list price of this is usually $1999.

Is that the Honda backed warranty or one of those 3rd part after market ones?
    09 Accord EX-L sedan 4 cyl , no navigation, navy blue

I spoke to five other Honda dealers and none could touch this deal. One sales guy told me that the Internet Sales people get a $50 flat fee commission for each car they sell, so maybe they have more room to discount versus the traditional showroom salesperson whose commission is based on the price of the car.

Base price: $21,800 (she said it was $22,850 minus $750 rebate minus $300 coupon, neither of which I had to bring in or fill out. According to Edmunds, dealer invoice is $23,780, but we all know that's a bit of fiction). Dealer appearance package (at no extra charge) included splash guards, wheel locks, pin stripe, door edge guard, which is the most complete dealer package I found in the DC area.

Freight: $670 (all the Honda dealers I checked with around here charge the same amount)
    Side moldings: $268
    "Total price of vehicle": $22,738
    VA taxes: $721.40
    Processing: $399
    Tags: $48.75

OTD: $23,907.15

We got the 1.9% Honda finance deal for 36 months.

This is exactly the same deal (and from the same dealer) as hac09 posted on 12/29/08 at 6:48pm, except I added the side moldings. And I'll concur with his assessment of the dealer: the Internet Sales person was super nice, no BS, and I also spoke to her manager and a couple of her colleagues and they were all very professional. This morning, the transaction took a little over two hours, only because they didn't have the color I wanted and they had to go get the car from another dealer about forty minutes away. Otherwise we would have been done in a little more than an hour.