Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited December 2012
    Start at $1000 below Dealers Invoice. Make your calls Dec, 29th... Tell each dealer for your price and No Doc fee's, plus tax and DMV fee's you buy that Moment. Call the bigger Dealerships first and the ones closest to your house..... Use Waymouth honda in Boston price of $500 below invoice if you get that high up from $1000 below invoice... Remember Yang this is a Negotiation every thing is Negotiable .. Pit one dealer against the next dealer.... At worst you should be able to Negotiate for $500 below dealers Invoice with no or reduced doc fee's.. Good luck....... let us know how you did

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• yangyxyangyx Member Posts: 20
    Thanks Brian! I will try to do better this time.
    Open road----- Edison
    DCH Acedemy- Oldbribge
    VIP-----------N.J.
    Paul Miller-- N.j.
    Autosport--- rt 22
    Hillside----- N.Y.
    DCH--------- Paramus

• bhaumikbhaumik Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2012
    I just bought mine today from Hudson honda in West New York, NJ for $22,490 OTD.
    edited December 2012
    Your posting does not help anyone. You need to give proper Info..

1 Sale price of vehicle before taxes and any other fee's
    2 list of fee's / Doc fee's , and any other dealer fee's you paid
    3 Options in car if any and price paid
    4 Your States Sales tax where not mind readers?
    Now your OTD price helps others decide whether you got a Good deal or Not

• evped2evped2 Member Posts: 21
    Hi Brian,
    How would you recommend purchasing an Accord with a manual transmission? They are very difficult to find. It seems a lot of leverage is lost trying to buy a car in limited supply. Thanks.
  • accordx2accordx2 Member Posts: 4
    I thought so too, as my husband wanted the Hematite metallic that was in short supply at least down here. We were still able to get it at invoice plus the destination fee. I think the secret like Brian says is timing. We emailed on the evening of Nov 29th. They agreed to take off the document and the "notary fee" the next day once I told them over the phone I was not paying for these extra charges when I said we would buy that day.
    edited December 2012
    Eveped,,,, You are correct.... Supply and Demand are big factors in the buying game. I see no reason why you cant get at worst Invoice price on the manual Trans Accord. The dealerships that sell cars will find you or order your choice of Accord. Last days of any month will give you the best leverage on pricing. Call several dealers and apply what ive been saying on buying by phone or Online . It works and is Guarantee to get you the best price possible. Remember this.... You purchase a Accord at Dealers invoice price... The dealer is getting there full Dealers Holdback of $ 600 to 900 dollars depending on the model and msrp. Most people pay another 2 to 400 dollars in Doc fee's. Most people pay extra for dealer add on accessories they dont want.... Dealer makes money on dmv fee's,,,, and if you finance thru them. Add it up not bad for any dealer if he sells a vehicle at INVOICE PRICE. Buying a car is a Negotiation and everything is Negotiable.

• darrin8darrin8 Member Posts: 14
    Brian, I have been following your replies over several weeks and have been learning alot. I understand to start at $1000.00 below invoice
    but where are you obtaining the invoice prices on the 13 Accords? Are you using the internet price off of the Weymouth dealership, Edmunds.com?

I am looking to purchase either the
    13 Accord Sport I4 CVT auto
    or
    13 Accord EXL V6 W/ NAV.
    Looking forward to your response.
    Thanks
    edited December 2012
    Darrin
    All pricing can be found at Edmunds web site, kbb.com[ kellys],, Consumer reports, Msn auto, are just a few. Dealers invoice price on the 2 models you are looking into are;

1- EXL w Nav $ 29,326 plus dest charge $790= 30,116

2- Sport CVT $ 22,139 plus dest charge 790= 22,929

Any deal you could make below invoice price with no/ or reduced doc fee's is a very good deal. i know i sound like a broken record but to get your best deal you must be ready and the dealer must know that your requested price.... Your buying at that Moment on the phone. Let us Know how you made out.......... BRIAN

edited December 2012
    Just a few comments on this price. Most small Honda dealerships will laugh at 1000 below invoice.... but i will tell you this. if you make each dealer who laughs at that price give you his best price he will definelty know if he has any shot at your business he will have to give you a price of below invoice to your requested price. If not hang up good-bye. Its fast and simply... High volume dealerships like Waymouth honda in M.A. are selling at 500 below invoice or better. keep this in mind when you buy. Pit one dealer against the next. If any Internet / manager cant give you a price within 3 mins of your conversation hang up on him your wasting your time.. Your only conversation with each dealer is..... Meet my Price... The Negotiation never deviates or changes until a price is agreed on or given.. Never fails. good luck

• billartbillart Member Posts: 14
    Bought my 2d Accord from this dealer Thursday after negotiating online & over the phone with 9 dealers. Out the door $27,509.77, as follows:

car + destination & handling $25341
    dealer service fee 499
    elec. reg. & battery fee 26
    6% sales tax 1552
    title, reg., lic. & lemon law 88

The dealer had to get the car (champagne frost pearl) from another dealer in Sarasota, so that dealer had added (listed on the addendum sticker), nitrogen, accent stripes & wheel well moldings, raising the MSRP from $27,995 to $29,280. Also added (but not on the sticker, so they had to be included in the $1285 (!) increase in MSRP, were splashguards & wheel locks.
    I wanted these last 2 items, so that was ok. I was charged an add'l $149 for all 5 of these items (included in the total above), which I agreed to, as I was prepared to fight an earlier quote that was $83 higher.

I believe I got most of the dealer's holdback, so obviously there is more profit somewhere that we aren't privy to. The closest quote I got to this price was about $600 higher. Most of the other dealers claimed my dealer ( I never told them who it was) was losing money on this deal. This was exactly what they said in '08 when I bought my EXL V6 from Love for $27,027 OTD. I think some folks on this forum back then doubted my price as well.

THE PROCESS

Mostly as has been described elsewhere, I started by test driving locally all the cars I was considering, each 2 or more times. After deciding on the EXL sedan I sent out requests thru AAA, Car Woo, Consumer Reports & probably some others. Prices I got back were mostly all high & before dealer fee & TTL. Love actually started with invoice. I asked each for details - OTD, including dealer fee, TTL, etc.? All came back with prices in roughly the $28,000 - $30,000 range. I took bits from each - 110% price guarantee, beat anyone's price by $500, invoice from Love - & told each I'd sell to whoever could do $25,100. None could or would come close but Love, who said they'd do it but add their $499 fee. Sounded pretty good, so now the car's sitting in my garage.

On my approximately 35 mile trip back home on country roads & through a few little FL towns I got 37.4 mpg, without using the econ button. Wow! Yeah, I'm pleased.
  • billy3554billy3554 Member Posts: 148
    Your post identifies a new dealer inspired fee "Dealer Service Fee." Did the dealer identify what services it provided for this $499 fee?
    edited December 2012
    That fee means the Dealer is taken back $499 w/// B.S. Dont let them.. This is why Dealerships are getting away with this Nonesense people refuse to say I'm not paying that charge remove it or i walk.

• billartbillart Member Posts: 14
    EVERY dealer charges a dealer service or dealer prep fee. Love Honda's $499 was the lowest of any I was dealing with. I was aware of this charge, & even including it I was still $800 below invoice (excluding the added accessories, for which I actually paid $240, but don't know what their invoice prices were).

I don't see a lot of folks here or on other price paid sites getting dealers to eat not only most of their holdback, but their dealer fees as well. Maybe if the sales mgr is a relative...

Regarding the added accessories, I misstated the increased MSRP. it was actually $495. The $240 I paid was certainly more than what I could have bought & installed them for, but they were already on the car & looked good, & I still got a far better bottom line deal than anyone else was offering!
  • mmggmmgg Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I received quote on 2012 Accord LX Sedan of $178xx + TTL+Doc = $203xx (OTD). This is a 2012 model, not 2013, any comment on this price? Thank you.
  • ttran876ttran876 Member Posts: 4
    I received quote on 2013 Accord Sedan sport at boch Honda for 22198 is that a good deal
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    I gave my local dealer Weymouths price on an exl-v6,they basically laughed,would not go below invoice,I said thaks and will move on.
    By the way their dealer fee is only 129 bucks so the rest of the dealers,with high fee's that you may encounter are over charging.
    I have bought 3 other accords in the past from this dealer but I guess we cannot deal on a 2013.
    Old Mike
  • rajofinrajofin Member Posts: 4
    Please see my posts earlier. I got 2013 LX CVT 4-Dr for 21K OTD. My tax rate was 3%. My friend was offerred 17700 OTD for 2012 LX auto two months back. They don't have any 2012 model remaining in our area. Hope it help.
  • mmggmmgg Member Posts: 7
    Thanks!
    BILL
    You made a great deal no doubt. 800 below Dealers Invoice. Close to the best price so far. That being said. Love honda did not go into there Dealer holdback to sell you that Accord. why? End of quarter sales. All dealerships that are selling over there vehicle quotos are getting a nice check back from the Honda corp. DEC, is a great month to buy. Especially the last day of Dec.... Removing those high dealer fee's can be done. The key is How good you can Negotiate and knowing what to say to the manager. You must be buying the last 2 days of any month. You tell The Manager your buying that Moment. Rural area's where there are not alot of dealerships are harder. I have bought many of friends and family cars from Maine to Florida and Arizona over the years and Never paid added fee's. Enjoy your Car

edited December 2012
    If anybody is interested i could get the Info of Dealer. IF your going to buy wait til end of month you will get your best deal. The Dealerships that have not made there Incentive Quota's will be looking to sell way below invoice. Fight those doc fee's... Ive been in these forums for 15 years screaming and yelling about Bad dealerships and all there slimy tactics . I'm tired of reading about dealerships ripping people off that have no clue how to buy. Time to turn the tables on them..

• wetwillyswetwillys Member Posts: 24
    Brian,

I am interested. I have contacted several dealerships in the Baltimore, MD area. So far, I have 3 dealers giving me prices below invoice. My best price OTD so far for a 2013 Accord PC CVT without any options is 22,130 (6% sales tax). My plan is to buy the car on Saturday, December 29 or Monday the 31st. Any help in getting a rock bottom price would be greatly appteciated!
  • evped2evped2 Member Posts: 21
    The dealer processing fee means nothing to me. I don't care if its $.10 or $1000, it's the bottom line that counts. What does the car cost before taxes, title, and registration? However the dealer wants to do the math is fine with me.
  • yangyxyangyx Member Posts: 20
    17300 was what I got in October, but I doubt there's any left.
    I'll post dealership as soon as i get it.

• poguypoguy Member Posts: 1
    Hi rajofin, could you please share your financial rate? Thank you.
  • ttran878ttran878 Member Posts: 4
    If u get Honda financial you'll get 500 off with them
  • billy3554billy3554 Member Posts: 148
    No most dealers do not add a service or prep fee. Most dealers attempt to add a Documentation Fee. Dealer prep costs are covered by the manufacturer. Like everything but the tax, title, and registration any dealer documentation fee is highly negotiable, down to zero should be attainable.

All dealers should make a profit or they would not remain in business. For many of us it is the underhanded manner in which dealers attempt to deceive buyers via the use of the documentation fee scheme. Viewing many of the posts on Edmunds, it appears dealers have been surprisingly successful in this deception. Far too many seem to have accepted such fees as real.

Sadly for you, dealers in Florida seem to be the most adept at this scheme. Four hundred and ninety nine dollars seems akin to robbery. Perhaps the people of Florida should partition their elected officials.

Smart buyers will simply calculate the dealer documentation amount into the amount they offer for the vehicle. Personally, I always found a dealer who will lower the selling price to account for the "docuentation fee." Might take a bit of work but it can be done.

It is important to note dealers must show the fee on every sale or they run the risk of discrimiation. However, this can actually work a small bit in the buyer's favor. Reducing the selling price of the vehicle by the recorded fee should reduce the tax base resulting in a small reduction to the amount of sales tax paid. The important thing is to assure the sales price is reduced to cover the docuemntation fee.
  • rizvimdrizvimd Member Posts: 6
    I now have the offer for 22800 OTD. (2013 Accord base model with window tint)
    Here the tax is 6.25%
    Any comments.
  • jfavourjfavour Member Posts: 105
    Just bought a silver sport sedan today. 23,350 +Tax, Title, License and Doc fee. I don't have the final docs in front of me and don't remember the exact OTD price. Sales threw in all weather floor mats (a must have in MN) and car already had 3M paint protection on front, door edges and at top of rear bumper (sales said $700 package). This car sat on the showroom floor for a couple of weeks, thus the paint protection package. Buerkle Honda in the Twin Cities Metro was the dealer. Had another deal offered at $23,228, but didn't like the sales person, plus they wanted $150 for the floor mats on top, so I went with Buerkle.

Needed a car, my last one was totaled by an inattentive driver, so this was the best I could do in a short time. Overall I am happy, although the deliver process took far too long (over 2 hours). The car was dirty inside when we arrived and we had to point it out to sales to be rectified. Then it had some codes showing because the battery had died and it needed to be jumped, so they had to spend some time resetting the codes before we left.
  • bridget53bridget53 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    I will be buying a new car at the end of the month. I would like to buy a 2012 Honda Accord EX-L. An online dealer quoted me 24,600.00 for 2012 Honda Accord EX-LV6 Coupe. What advice can you give me?
    Still waiting on conformation of the South Carolina deal before i post dealerships name............ Brian

• wetwillyswetwillys Member Posts: 24
    Brian, I misunderstood...I will not be traveling to SC to purchase a car...sorry for the concussion
  • jsalazar2jsalazar2 Member Posts: 5
    Thats a great deal. I'm looking for the same model (CVT trans) with leather interior. I've only asked for ODT price which was quoted at 25,700. If my figures are correct, then I'm paying about 23K for the car. I'm going to see if I can get your price...lol. I plan to buy at the end of this month
    Thats a great deal. I'm looking for the same model (CVT trans) with leather interior. I've only asked for ODT price which was quoted at 25,700. If my figures are correct, then I'm paying about 23K for the car. I'm going to see if I can get your price...lol. I plan to buy at the end of this month. I'm in the Houston area
    I've been dealing for about 3 weeks now. I've gotten 21,900 ODT price for base model LX. AND 25,700 ODT price for Sports trim with leather. These prices are if I finance through Honda. This was at Gillman Honda in FortBend. Anybody able to negotiate anything better? I plan to buy at the end of the month.
  • ddvxddvx Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    I've been scanning but haven't been able to find any 2013 Sedan EX-L dealer or OTD prices. Anyone had any experience with it?
  • tobyltobyl Member Posts: 6
    I live in San Francisco. I went to many dealerships around the SF bay area, and there were no one selling the car under 23,000 OTD. Does anyone buy a accord LX in SF bay area, and what is your OTD. Thank you.
  • maverick29maverick29 Member Posts: 5
    I live in Texas. I went to a couple of dealerships with a mindset of buying 2013 Honda Accord EXL. The quotes that I have got earlier from various dealerships were 28,400 OTD (includes sales tax of 6.25% and dealership add ons such as window tint, wheel lock, splash guards, trunk liner). Finally, I was able to get down the price to 27,900. I am not sure if this looks like a better deal but after following the forum for long time, I think 27,500 seems to be a great bargain. Please let me know your opinions.
    edited December 2012
    MAV, Read my earlier postings on how to buy by phone or online then call as many dealers on the last day of the month. You will hit your target price. Be firm.. If they wont meet your price before saying good-bye tell them your price is what gets your business on that day and move on.. Pit one dealer against the next. tell every dealer you could get your price 100 miles away if you have to. mention any dealer 200 miles away put the bug in every dealer thats closet to you.. Play the game. Tell each dealer doc fee's are a deal breaker. The last day in Dec is a great month to pull off a Monster Deal and a buyers dream with alot of car companies........ good luck .......Brian

• ttran878ttran878 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for getting back to me.  As I listed in my break down of price in my first email to you Net Cost on the 2013 Honda Accord Sedan Sport CVT is $22,444.  So as you can see your offer of $21,000 even is not reasonable as that would result in a $1,444.  The price I quoted you of $22,194 including Honda's Destination Charge is my best price and good for today's business only.  I look forward to hearing back from you shortly with a time to come in today to wrap up this phenomenal deal. This is price from boch Honda and they say if I when with Honda financial they'll take another 500 off hope this will help u out
    Any dealership that tells you this is the only day for this price.... Make sure you run out of that dealership. The only time you should ever hear that saying is ON THE LAST DAY OF ANY MONTH OR AT THE QUARTERS END..

tHERE ARE NO INCENTIVES FROM HONDA TO LEASE. i would wait a few months hoping honda lowers there residual costs.

• romil01romil01 Member Posts: 75
    Don't you mean lower the money factor and increase the residual? Lowering the residual would cause the monthly payments to go up.
    Yes thats what i meant to say

• romil01romil01 Member Posts: 75
    Yeah the current MF of 0.00155 is pretty bad. I am looking at 14 different cars to replace my Sonata and the Accord's MF is only exceeded by the new Lexus ES 350 (0.0017). The residual isn't bad, but not on par with Lexus or BMW for a 36 month lease.
    Thanks Brian for your response. I am not in a hurry to buy a new one right away and plan to wait for some more time (as you said end of the month or next month). I am surprised that the dealers weren't ready for $27,500 since I saw couple of postings for $27,300 from people where the state taxes were higher than in Texas. The dealers were saying they will be losing more than $1000 for selling to me even at 27,900 :):):)
    I had 27900 including 6.25% sales tax, title and standard dealer add ons like window tint, wheel locks, pin stripes, mud guards, etc.
    Time is on your side. I plan to buy JAN or FEB myself.