Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• spencer123spencer123 Member Posts: 5
    Yep I did exactly what Christruong suggested. My credit was in your range (760-770), and I got 1.99 from the credit union. I negotiated with the dealership and the best they could do was 1.94 since I hadn't financed anything before. But it's sure a heck of a lot better than 4.9!
    (And yes, I could've saved a whopping $33 (if I don't pay off early) by financing with Honday, but the credit union was great to work with so I stayed loyal.)
  • unlv_rebelsunlv_rebels Member Posts: 32
    I have a question regarding Honda Finance. I am getting different rates (3.99%, 3.49%, 2.49%) for 72 months through HF. Is the rate completely negotiable with the dealer ? I thought it depended on one's credit score. TIA.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    Michael - this is one of the best posts I've seen on Edmunds - detailed, informative and entertaining - thanks!
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • darrin8darrin8 Member Posts: 14
    Hondafan31. Thanks for the info. I did exactly what you have done with Pohanka Honda for the 13 Black Touring I am looking for but they could not come close to Weymouths' quote. This was done during the last day of December and just yesterday the sales manager called me to see if he could sell me the car. Again they would not come below invoice. One issue is they dont have a touring on the lot and if he could secure one from another dealer he still could not come under invoice. Not many Black Tourings out there right now but I am willing to wait. They do have one of the lowest processing fee's in VA but since I travel up to Boston for business i am able to purchase from Weymouth with my travel expenses paid.
  • michaelvoxmichaelvox Member Posts: 25
    To Brian125: sorry about your eyes.

To everyone else, I just wanted you to know that you aren't alone when obsessing over car purchase stuff.

It mostly goes away when you're behind the wheel. In Sport mode, my V6 acceleration nearly causes a blackout. Just kidding.

Happy hunting.
  • austin198austin198 Member Posts: 23
    I am looking to purchase a 2013 Accord Sport or EX in the next month or two. I live on Long Island, NY and I am willing to travel up to 250 miles south to Jersey, Maryland, Deleware or DC and north to Connecticut or Massachusetts. Members posts on this forum have been extremely helpful including Michael Vox and Brian125 to name a few. Brian I believe you are from my area or he metro NY area, do you or anyone else have any information on good dealerships in these states or even better yet the biggest volume dealerships and I can start my search from there. Some of the larger volume dealerships near me seem to be Huntington Honda and Atlantic Honda. I have purchased three Accords in the past and this time I'm not so much happy to get a good deal, I want to at least match the best deal out there if not do a little better. TTL are what they are and dealer fees can be negotiated or just added to a competing dealers final before tax price to get an apples to apples comparison. Whichever model I choose I want the following options included, all weather floor mats, mud guards, wheel locks, a trunk mat, cargo net and an extra gray valet key, and a third full key with remote. All prices I am showing here include the destination charge. I was hoping to get the Sport for $22,500 again with all options/extra keys and including destination. Others on this site have stated they paid anywhere from $20,922 (which seems an impossible price), $21,700........$22,150........$22,400 which all seem more realistic and doable. Any opinions? ideas? suggestions? And for the EX trim level, same options listed above, I would like to get for $23,600 including destination but not TTL or DMV fees. Thanks. James
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    Mike,
    you did a great jod on your purchase enjoy your new ride.

Brian

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

G-lover,
    This is what i could tell you on pricing. All dealerships in new jersey/ new york will probably quote you between 400 and 600 below dealers invoice. You need to buy on the last day of the month to see who will eat there doc fee's and come to that 1k below invoice here in this area.. Target the bigger dealerships expecting to get close to 1000 or better below invoice. Key point... Dealers doc fee's . Most dealers in New Jersey have doc fee's of $299 to 400 dollars. There are several dealerships in New York with doc fee's of $75.. Paragon and Hillside Honda. So right there those 2 mentioned dealers will have a much easier time hitting your target price. those dealers are $325 in your favor already over the jersey dealers and long island dealers.. Do the math.... A N.Y dealer quotes you the same as a n.j. dealer that doc fee saving could be the difference in best price... there are alot of dealers in N.Y. with doc fee's of $199 or less.. Thats were you will get your best deal around this area in new york.. I think Paragon Honda could be the black sheep in the buying game this month. I plan on finding out.

high volume dealerships in our area
    the 2 you mentioned
    Weymouth in M.A...... will sell at or close to 1k below / doc fee's $239
    Anderson in Maryland
    Honda of New Rochelle .. may of changed names
    Westchester honda
    there are about 4 more in our area cant think i'll post later.

brian

• eka1eka1 Member Posts: 41
    You sir need to get a life or job!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks Brian. I live in Western Suffolk County and have purchased from Huntington Honda in the past, that dealership amongst some others on Long Island either do not have any dealers fees while others are willing to waive them entirely. I have bought five new cars in my lifetime and I don't think I've ever paid a dealer fee, I am sure they probably made up that money somewhere else and I ended up over paying for the car, but live and learn. I have done a decent amount of research and plan on doing more in the next few weeks, if I can find a good price with the options I detailed in my prior post. What part of New York are you from? And what model Accord do you plan on purchasing? I would be happy to work together to divide up the work and share information relative to pricing, doc fees, options etc... at area dealerships in search of the best price on a new Accord. Excluding the extra keys, which I am not sure of the price for those, the optional accessories I was interested in having installed at the dealer totaled about $330 (prices from Amazon.com or collegehillshonda.com) so the dealerships true cost is probably much less. Once I buy the car, the only thing I plan on adding or having installed is remote start, hence why I would like two extra keys (1 valet and 1 regular with remote).
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    A reason prices were better at the end of the year,was meeting year end quota,and Honda had
    500 cash on the hood if you financed through Honda. The 500 is gone for now. There may have been more don't know.
    Old Mike
  • sarahww2sarahww2 Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2013
    I'm in DC area (will register in VA), anyone in this area can share their recent OTD price? or best quote and dealer name?
  • evped2evped2 Member Posts: 21
    hankjoy,

Great post. I also want the exact same car you bought. I emailed 10 dealerships and got various answers about availability and price. I haven't bought yet, but i am confident that it will be well below invoice. It has helped me that I'm, not in a hurry and it seems the inventory of EX's with manuals is starting to grow. There are now 7 within 50 miles of me. The dealers that have them are now ringing my phone like crazy. I know not everyone is in a situation where they can be patient, but it is by far your number one bargaining chip. I'll post when I make my deal in about a month.
  • wetwillyswetwillys Member Posts: 24
    Check Jim Coleman Honda - Salesman's name was Victor. If I lived closer, I proabably would have purchased from him. Should be able to get to $22,000 (based on 6% MD tax included) OTD.
    edited January 2013
    mike
    Your model of Accord should not matter. Unless its a manual trans. There are not many. That brings in the Supply and Demand factor which always favors the dealers for pricing... Find the dealers closest to your home with lowest price and doc fee's and make the deal. My involvement here on Edmunds since 1997 has to be left as private as possible due to discrimination from dealerships to me, family and friends. I am not a liked person inside the car dealership circles. For my buying Practices. I'll keep you posted on anything i hear. Call Weymouth Honda talk with James. Tell them you will consider the 4 hr travel time to there dealership with a price scenario of 1k below dealers invoice with your added options at his dealer cost Installed on car. Let them know your buying jan 31 and will decide if it worth to make the trip up to Weymouth M.A.. I have always found getting the best price from High volume dealerships out of state and working closer to your home works great. There are no Incentives/ rebates from Honda this month so far.

My choice of Accord is
    EXL V-6

Brian

edited January 2013
    Mike,
    Make the same deal with Friendly Honda in Poughkeepsie N.Y.
    make sure you tell Friendly he has to match or beat Weymouth honda price to be consider for your business and travel time..
    any of your so called options that Weymouth did not discount make Friendly beat his pricing on options to close your deal.

Now target your long Island dealers.. High Volume first.
    chart all doc fee's of every dealer and know which ones will remove, discount, or Put onto your car sale price to lower the numbers... If you want to go slumming Start targeting all the next level dealerships that ive been listing. This is how you should always buy. Buying this way gives you the best leverage and pricing in the car buying game. Start planting the seed the last days of this month or any month.

One other note, if you could hold out 1 more month to purchase.. On Presidents weekend dealers tend to sell more cars and discount due to there Manufactor to dealer incentives you might save as much as 500 more dollars than at Jan end..

Brian

I agree regarding $500 cash through Honda Finance that expired on Dec 31. One of the rep told me about this a couple of days ago to me too.
    It is negotiable, but not completely negotiable. It will depend on your credit score. I can just tell you what they did in my situation.

I'd secured 1.99, and the finance guy asked what I got. I told him below 2%, but wasn't specific.

Finance guy: "Ok, so if I get you 1.89, would that be worth it?"
    Me: "No"
    FG: "What about 1.5?"
    Me: "Yeah that'd probably be worth it."

He ran my credit, and I could see in his system that the lowest they'd give me was 1.94, which amounted to almost nothing. So I knew that for me, without having financed anything before, they wouldn't go lower.

If you're planning to negotiate, play your cards right and let them know that you've secured financing at a good rate. If you haven't, then creatively phrase it however you want without lying. I have heard many stories of customers getting taken by super high interest rates, so be skeptical.
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for the information.

Initially, one dealer offered me 4.99%. Later, I got 3.99% and then 3.49% and finally 2.49% from different dealers. I will try for 1.99%. The dealer who offered 2.49% could offer 1.99%.

I am looking at LX. The invoice is $21,369. I am trying to get at least 750 below invoice (with no doc fee) plus TTL. Hopefully, I will find one by Jan 31.
  • hondafan31hondafan31 Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2013
    At Pohanka Honda the salesperson I worked with was Matt P. (Internet Sales). Pohanka had the exact car I wanted sitting on their lot (2013 Accord EX-L V6, Black/Black).

If the Pohanka dealership hadn't been receptive to my offer, I also had a written quote from a Honda dealership in PA that was agreeable to matching the Weymouth price (Ray Price Honda, East Stroudsburg PA, Justin W. Internet sales). Recommend you read the October posts from "carcam123" who worked with Weymouth and ended up purchasing from Ray Price Honda.

The V6 with six speed is a wonderful car to drive. I now have almost 5K miles on my car and have enjoyed every moment behind the wheel. It's a great daily driver. Good luck with the shopping.
  • russel_25russel_25 Member Posts: 3
    Can anybody give me an idea about the OTD price for'the 2013 Honda accord Lx ( automatic) in Chicago area?
    edited January 2013
    Is is worth going to an Auto Show. It is about 250 miles from my city. It will cost me about $100 for gas and hotel ($50, if it is one-day trip). Is it worth going there ? Do they give any additional discount, if I buy a vehicle there ?

I am in the market for a LX Auto. The invoice is $21,369. I am trying to get at least 750 below invoice (with no doc fee) plus TTL. Hopefully, I will find one by Jan 31.
    edited January 2013
    Dont waste your time or money. Unless you want to see the new cars and trucks and fancy car products. If you want to hit your target price you need to email and call as many honda dealerships in and around your state on the last day of this month. You will then have your answer. Your best deal is made the last day of the month. calling now for pricing is wasting your time.. Do i think your number is reachable.. Yes. Most dealers will have to sell you for 1 k below invoice if they wont remove doc fee's to reach 750 below.

Brian

• huskerfan5huskerfan5 Member Posts: 165
    Brian125

My current Civic lease is up at the end of the month so I decided to take a look at this board today since I'm considering an Accord. I read all posts going back to mid-October.

After reading your many lengthy posts, I have to say that your remark to Michael Vox was uncalled for. I noted several people thanked you for your advice and would have expected you to be as gracious after Michael spent so much time documenting his experience trying to assist others. I then came across another post where you say you are in talks with a dealership. Doesn't appear you are practicing what you preach but you deserve thanks for investing your time advising people.
  • duffy11duffy11 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone share the price you paid for 2013 Honda Accord LX CVT in Bayarea? I am still searching for a good deal. Thx!
    I dont think Mr Mike is upset with me. He did a great job. and i'm sure i helped him.. Ever hear a thing called humor. did you see that book he wrote..

If you read my posts i will tell you how to obtain the best price when and how. listen dont listen its up to you. As far as i'm in talks with a dealer. you have no idea what info i'm trying to get out of him or what i'm asking him.

Please enlighten me on what you think i'm talking to him about since you know me. Unless you are that dealership and your pissed off..

edited January 2013
    Hank,
    Just let me go off topic for one min about that last poster...Gotta love people who joined this edmunds forums about 6 mins ago and post something like that .

I cant answer your question i have been trying to uncover, disclose, or find out exactly how much each dealership receives from there Manufactor for selling that vehicle. I'm not talking about the dealer hold back. i Once heard this Old-timer years ago Say...You take the difference from M.S.R.P. and the Invoice price of the car... Then Times it by 3% then divide that number and thats the additional monies the dealer receives on top of his Hold back. So I do believe there is truth to what is the Real bottom line.. And real price the dealer is paying.. definitely not what we know. This to me is like the 1947 Roswell crash in New Mexico. Where Aliens were carted off by the gov't.. Or was it nonsense.. Any one want to comment on the Alien part i appreciated it.

Brian

No I figured it out last nite. You take the square root of pie divided by the number of accords sold by that dealership in a month multiplied by the average weight in kilograms of the sale team and that's your number. Subtract that number from dealer invoice and that's what the dealership pays, it was actually less confusing than I thought.
  • gee22gee22 Member Posts: 82
    Brian's right, it's just to check out the latest models and concept cars. Of course, if you're looking for some free tote bags, water bottles or toys (my son now has a pretty cool stuffed VW Beetle), it's definitely the place to go. All time best was getting a $50 voucher if I test drove an Explorer.
    Your definitly on to something here.
    HANK,
    forgot to mention the kilograms part hopefully that clears up any mis-understandings.

Hey g- lover,, should of just cleared up the Roswell alien thing. Now i'm more confused than ever.. lol.... Good night

• michaelvoxmichaelvox Member Posts: 25
    We're cool. brian125 has been a wealth of information on this board. So have others. My post wasn't exactly short, perhaps an editor would have helped me. On the other hand, brian125 could use some punctuation and spell-checking, but none of us is perfect.

Besides, I forget all the negative comments when I'm zooming around less-impressive vehicles on Bay Area freeways.

Thanks for having my back, though, huskerfan5.

Michael.

P.S. I started a post about driving impressions, but I'm all alone. After you buy, come share how your new baby drives.
  • haojianhaojian Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am also looking for a LX CVT in bayarea. After quoting 10+ dealers in Bayarea, currently, I get a OTD 22800 already. It seems still far from bottom line. But I don't know how to step further in the price research.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    I typically go every year to the local show, often with a friend who is in the market - even if I am not currently.
    The value I see is the ability to check things like back seat room & access, or control layouts, of 2 or 3 comparable models withing 5 minutes.
    Much easier to compare things 'back-to-back-to-back'
    when they are located only feet from each other, rather than
    having to drive to different dealerships.
    Just my 0.02 gallons worth of advice...
    - Ray
    Going back in March.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • ht289ht289 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone receive a good deal on a 2013 Honda Accord LX in LA county recently? I can't seem to get dealers to budge on even 23k OTD. Maybe I have to wait till the end of the month
  • kumar309kumar309 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I'm planning to get a new Accord 2013 sedan around March-April. I usually keep cars for atleast 5 years .If I want to buy the car, can you suggest me if I should go for leasing and purchase after the 3 year lease(pay interest on remaining period only) or go for financing straight from the start. Also, how much it would cost me for an LX model.
    Kumar
    Finally going to take the plunge. I would suggest you lease if you drive less than 10k a yr. Cheaper price on lease.. Keep your cars in excellent shape. Cant come up with a decent down payment. Otherwise i would buy. I think by the time you are ready to buy/ lease the Accord there will be leasing money support from Honda corp. There are no incentives now. If you go into the leasing forum i'm sure somebody could tell you what you might pay to buy out a 3 year lease on the Accord.

• stlbluesstlblues Member Posts: 2
    St. Louis, MO

$22,490 (not including TTL)
    All Weather Mats
    Cargo Net
    Auto Butler Service - thrown in by the dealer at the end when they weren't budging on price
    2 years maintenance

Went in on 12/31/12 - crappy weather, not a whole lot of people at the dealership but still a below average buying experience. Wasn't the primary salesman, he fired off a quote out of nowhere that was just under MSRP to which we both laughed as it was > $1K higher than the advertised sale price on their website. He was either lazy or couldn't find the right model / color on his lots as we had to pull in another associate to check their inventory ("oh, yeah, I guess we do have it").

Probably could have done better than that but this was the best of the 3 dealerships we visited.
  • nbk301nbk301 Member Posts: 9
    I'm currently finding the lowest quoted around 22,800 OTD. This is with cook county sales tax.
    Just stopped into Atlantic Honda in Bay Shore, NY and was quoted a price of 23,178. Advised her before they gave me a price that I already had a price quote from a neighboring dealership of $500 under invoice and was looking to do better than that, the salesman whom was very knowledgeable and nice came back with the manager who gave me the price above which is $249 above invoice and almost $800 higher than my original price. She swore up and down about how the other dealership will probably sneak in some miscellaneous fees or change the price on me and that If she sells for anything less than invoice, her dealership is losing money. When asked how the other dealer can sell for much less and I'm looking to do even better than that, her reply was that my other offer is a great deal and I should jump on it. I am in no rush to pickup the new accord, the longer I wait the greater the likelihood that I either A) get a better deal or B) buy a completely different make and model. I suggested she can contact me towards the end of the month if she wants and she stated that it makes no difference, the whole end of the month thing is a myth and that her dealership meets their quota 4, 5 or even 6 days before the end of each month. They play a pretty good game, but research tells it all, the dealerships make money a whole host of ways, including meeting or exceeding sales goals, incentives, etc.....she said her dealership is a higher volume dealership and they sell 20-30 accords per month, which to me doesn't seem like that many. Any input from anyone?????
  • kumar309kumar309 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. Yes i drive less than 10k miles in a year. I was thinking for leasing too.
  • gee22gee22 Member Posts: 82
    Rule of thumb is that it usually doesn't pay to lease if you are expecting to definitely keep the car. Honda lease money factor for excellent credit is .00155 which equates to an interest rate of 3.72% and you have to pay the $595 Honda Finance lease fee at inception which you wouldn't have it you purchased. I would expect you to do better financing.
    My wife recently did a deal on a Volvo and based on the MF and conquest rebate, it would come very close though I would never have considered purchasing anyway.
    edited January 2013
    G- lover you will waste 1 to 3 hours each time you walk into dealerships. trying to haggle over price. Especially in the middle of the month .. you have no leverage.. Time would be better spent on line one hour out of your day emailing 50 dealerships in and around your area/ out of state as far as you want to travel. Ask every dealer for there best price and all out the door pricing.. there dealership charges. You need to know every dealers doc fee..Most important.. IF 25 breakdown what you asked them keep them on your list,,, the rest toss in the trash. What ever number they quote you does not matter yet .. The last couple of days before the end of the month you ask all your targeted dealership if they would be willing to match or beat your best price from the high volume Dealerships . Not disclosing your numbers yet. But letting them know dealers like Anderson and WEymouth honda will give you hassel free e- quote of $900 below delears invoice.. This lets each dealership know your not Bs them.. they have to step up to the plate or lose out.. By using this kind of approach you are weeding out all the bad dealerships and narrowing down the best dealerships who will meet your target price..

Yonkers
    new rochelle
    paragon
    friendly
    Hillside ... i'm sure there are more in N.y.
    All have doc fee's of $75.. these dealerships and others like them can match and maybe beat the bigger dealers.

Brian

• micki2micki2 Member Posts: 13
    Hi. I am also in St. Louis. Bommarito?

I kicked myself for not shopping at the end of the year. But it looks like they haven't really budged on pricing for the Sport. Also the inventory for Sports look pretty low, but the LXs are plentiful. I am going this weekend and I am preparing myself for foolishness.
    Thanks Brian, I really wanted to go in person to Look at the ex and sport models as I was undecided and I need to know for sure before I contact dealerships asking for a price. Can anybody tell me what their best negotiated price before any TTL but including destination charge. Also I had thought invoice (including destination) was 23,127 on a Sport. The dealership today told me that invoice was 22,929 which is even less. Thanks.
  • honda2013njhonda2013nj Member Posts: 6
    Just purchased the 2013 accord lx from DCH Aacademy Honda this saturday.

Car price: 20483(include 790 destination fee)
    7% NJ tax: 1433.85
    NJ tire fee: 7.5
    Doc fee: 299
    Registration/Title : 276

Total : 22499
  • mvperez4jesusmvperez4jesus Member Posts: 231
    Congratulations on your new Accord and thanks for posting all the details. Pretty good price.
  • wiphillyfan1wiphillyfan1 Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2013
    Just got it for a car price of $22,200 in WI (incl dest). Included Splash guards, wheel locks, paint protection.

I went to the dealer and showed them truecar.com which showed 1 person in my area paid between 22,192 - 22,395.
  • russel_25russel_25 Member Posts: 3
    Could you please mention which dealership it was? And also could you please split the total cost?
  • wiphillyfan1wiphillyfan1 Member Posts: 10
    Russ Darrow Honda - Milwaukee, WI
    Car price with dest. $22,200
    5% Tax
    Their service fee is a bit high at $299
    Title/Lien fees $99
    Rate 2.9%

Good experience. Good luck!