Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• zigster38zigster38 Member Posts: 117
    Good job!

I would say that the "Sport" model is the only one that dealers are trying to hold onto some kind of markup right now, they are popular.

That means only $800.00 below invoice ;-)
  • wrtoffwrtoff Member Posts: 7
    I'm in the market for a '13 Accord EXL v6 with Navi. My best quote so far was $27,750 from a Metro Boston dealership. Is this a good price or should I dig deeper?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff
  • jjjaymmmanjjjaymmman Member Posts: 43
    That seems like a great price if that is the actual OTD number. My OTD for the same vehicle without navi was $29,000.32. This was great for me since I financed with Honda at 0%. For South Carolina, Georgia, Florida area it would be really hard to find what you got for that price.
  • kishjkishj Member Posts: 4
    Hey,

Can you give the dealer/sales manger contact details.

Thanks
  • ejakabejakab Member Posts: 20
    That sounds like a great price.
    American Honda did respond to my concern about when to perform the 1st oil change on a new 2013 Accord. Simply put, by following the owners manual and maintenance monitor I will be within warranty requirements. They further explained that changing the oil early will not void any warranty. As far as break in oil, the vehicle does in fact have oil specifically designed for the engines initial break in period. Servicing this oil prior to the maintenance minder is not required but should only be considered beyond the first 500 miles if choosing doing so.
  • mvperez4jesusmvperez4jesus Member Posts: 231
    Thanks for letting us know :)

"following the owners manual and maintenance monitor"

That's what is best, just follow whatever recommended maintenace and u should be fine. When i bought my first Honda i said to myself that i would follow it to the T, in that way, if something went wrong, it wasn't going to be due to lack of maintenace but because the brand did not live up to the expectation. It's been good so far, thanks again.
    By the way was that an e-mail? if so, can u share it as i was looking for it and couldn't find it, thanks.
  • kbbskbbs Member Posts: 2
    I have contacted several dealers (in Phoenix, AZ) for a 2013 Sport 6 speed manual and the best price I have received is $22,000 ($199 below invoice). Adding Taxes, Reg Fees, and Doc fees, bumps the OTD price to around $24,800. On this forum, I have seen the prices paid for Sport CVT in $22,000 - $22,200 range (same as manual?). Has anyone purchased a 6 speed manual Sport sedan? If so, would appreciate if you can post the price paid. Best regards.
    The response I received was via phone. I called 1-800-999-1009 option 7 and spoke to a warranty rep (on 5 Feb). The rep could not provide me anymore specifics about the oil change or break in that was not in the manual (which says do not tow with this vehicle prior to 600 miles).
    On 6 Feb, I did receive an email but it was a basic "thank you for purchasing your new vehicle........if you have questions....." It did not have anything referring to any specific maintenance or warranty information.
    On 7 Feb, I received a follow-up call from the warranty rep which is what I posted. I hope this helps.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited February 2013
    kbb
    The model your looking at is a supply and demand car. Dealers dont have many on there lots. They are not going to give the 6 speed manuals away.
    i would suggest calling as many dealerships as possible in your area on President weekend and the last day of this month.
    Check this forum to see lowest price in and near your state.
    Call each dealership on above target days and let each dealerships Internet/sales manager know for xxx price you buy that day.
    If you call 10 dealerships and they all say this is my best price you then decide if you want to buy or wait another month or two. Thats how you determine the market price in your area. By contacting 20 or more dealerships you will find the good and bad dealerships. If you decide to wait another month or two you then only call back the best 5 dealers that you thought were fair and not playing games with you.

Good luck

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

cool, i wasn't sure if u had a Honda email, but that's good that they followed up.
    Enjoy your new ride!
  • augcarbuyeraugcarbuyer Member Posts: 18
    After comparing quotes of the Accord EX CVT from several dealers in souther CA, I purchased one from Rock Honda for a little below $22,500 before TTL. The process is quite quick and simple. They honor the quote they give me over the email. Most dealers quote me around mid $23k. As I mentioned earlier, if you don't mind driving a little farther, you may find better prices. Someone on this forum mentioned to me that Corona Honda is quoting $23,1xx which is better price than most quotes I got. But I found later on that quotes from Rock and Riverside are well below $23k. These online quote requests really helped me a lot in getting a good deal.
  • ged3584ged3584 Member Posts: 27
    Wow, it's $1500 below invoice. Great deal!
  • jmaxejmaxe Member Posts: 198
    Huh, what invoice are you lookin at?
  • ged3584ged3584 Member Posts: 27
    $24037 with destination fromtruecar.com
    edited February 2013
    24,037-22,499= $1,538 . The question you need to ask is how much was the doc fee's. Then you would know how much he paid below invoice price.
    looks like he recieved a great deal.

The LX and EX models are selling at a better price. Dealers have alot of inventory on there lots and need to move them quicker than the the sport and EXL V-6 models.

• evped2evped2 Member Posts: 21
    How do we find out if there are any new Honda incentives? I imagine they'll be gearing up for President's Day.
    edited February 2013
    i just checked there is nothing outside of the 500 military rebate on Accords.
    Edmunds home page is where you could find Rebates and Incentives on all vehicles.

Hopefully all this snow in the NorthEast is hurting Honda sales for this month

• evped2evped2 Member Posts: 21
    Yes. I've been waiting for inventory to build on manual transmission Accord EXs. There are now 11 within 75 miles of me and it doesn't look like they're moving. Hoping to do $500 below invoice within about a month.
  • bobby85225bobby85225 Member Posts: 6
    I am getting 2012 Accord EX for $21K OTD. It has 3500 miles on it.
    Is this a good deal?

TIA.
  • juliankryejuliankrye Member Posts: 52
    edited February 2013
    I got the 2012 SE back in August last year 0 miles for 21.5 OTD, EX wasn't much different in price if I am not mistaken, but had no leather. I had a EXL V6 prior to this.

I will assume this is either a courtesy car used by the dealer or a trade-in by someone for the new model. I would personally go for the new LX (about 22K OTD right?), I think you get more car for the money, and it will be 0 miles, and probably get better financing assuming you're financing. If you still go for the EX make you you test drive the heck out of it, they are known for the steering wheel vibration, my first test drive had that.

Best of luck, Julian
  • bobby85225bobby85225 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks Julian,
    Which state you got the 2012 SE? I am in AZ and I think, state taxes are higher here.
  • psp05psp05 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    On 2nd Jan 2013 I purchased 2013 Honda Accord EX L from Sunnyvale dealership. Silver color.
    I purchased for $28,200 on road price including everything with free few accessories door lock,door safe guards pre installed. I paid 20% downpayment and got loan at 1.99% interest from credit union. I am a visa holder. Hope this helps..
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    What was the cause of the steering wheel vibration? My niece and her husband bought an Accord a number of years ago and they never did find cause, even after MUCH messing around with what I think must have been two poor dealers, and HO not much help either. Last I heard they thought the problem was in the powertrain somewhere. It was a stick.
    I am in NJ, tax is 7%. Sale price was 19.5K, the rest was tax, doc, etc. Not sure of the tax rate in Arizona. Good luck, Julian
    I am not sure what the deal is with the wheel vibration, however I was aware of the issue, so during the test drive I asked to take the car on the expressway, and the deal did one better, let me test drive it all by myself. Sure enough, once I am able to go over 50, vibration on the steering wheel. The 2nd car I test drove did not have that issue, as such ended up buying. The car has been great thus far, just did first oil change for new years, will definitely keep it for a while. Julian
  • michaelvoxmichaelvox Member Posts: 25
    NPR's Planet Money looks into car buying.

Hint: It's all about the state laws protecting franchise dealerships.

Very informative.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/02/12/171814201/episode-435-why-buying-a-car- -is-so-awful
    Nissan has Just put out for this month $1000 cash back, 0% up to 36 months, 1.9% up to 60 and $375 leasing bonus cash for all Altima's.

Honda should be comming out with something soon. Honda did put out a lease special ending in 2 weeks. Zero across the board with 2K, 3K down on models LX,Ex,EXL V-6.

• peterb4upeterb4u Member Posts: 6
    Hello Julian
    U meant sale price of 19.5K
    was it for accord 2013?
  • wrtoffwrtoff Member Posts: 7
    Was that a v6 with navi?
    no

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    NPR's Planet Money looks into car buying.

Hint: It's all about the state laws protecting franchise dealerships.

Very informative.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/02/12/171814201/episode-435-why-buying-a-car- - -is-so-awful

Isn't it the buyer who created the unpleasurable experience? No where else do you haggle over the price. Cars come with MSRP stickers, just like everything else you would buy at a grocery, department, or hardware store.

I don't see people going up to a meat counter and haggling over the price of the pork chop?

If someone did not want haggle, they would pay MSRP and walk away happy.

I like to haggle, I wish I could haggle at the grocery store, hardware, and department stores (sometimes I do, and walkaway with great deals).

Most people put too much emotion into buying a car or a house. Once you take the emotion out of it, and make it into a purchase, that is no different than buying a gallon of milk, it becomes a much more pleasurable experience.

I have a simple system of buying cars. Once I decide which vehicle to buy, I will reasearch the price, and determine what I am comfortable paying for it. Contact sales people and tell them up front that I know what they paid for the car, and I am aware of their costs, and this is what I am willing to pay. Some will turn it down, some will accept.

There are sales people who would rather earn a little bit of comission on the 15 minutes they will spend with me, rather than not earn anything. They realize they could spend 4 hours with someone and earn nothing, at least with me, they are guaranteed a sale.
    Sorry if I confused anyone, but no this was a 2012 Accord SE, I believe the 2013 was due in 3 weeks time, as such superb deals were available on the 2012 SE Accords. I am very happy with my Accord, 2013 is nice however couldn't justify MSRP pricing.

I am in NJ, North Jersey to be more specific, and the dealers I have worked with on pricing include DCH Honda in Paramus, Ramsey Honda, Route 23 Honda, Garden State Honda and Paul Miller. Most aggressive pricing back then was from GSH due to stock that they had, I got the same deal from Route 23 Honda. I am really happy with Route 23 Honda.

Good luck, Julian
    It seems to me that the real dealers cost of any said vehicle we cant truly determine. We have guidlines that the car industry have set up and those are the rules we play by.
    Car salesman today are on salary. Most make as little as 100 dollars per vehicle sold.
    The formula to buying any vehicle should be started like this.

1- Find invoice price
    2- Minus dealer hold back
    3-Minus rebates and Incentives
    4- Minus doc fee's
    This is your starting point on buying any vehicle.

• hondaccord09hondaccord09 Member Posts: 14
    This kind of offer usually ends up walking away from the dealership. The dealer hold back is $600-$900, so you are basically asking for $1000-$2000 below the invoice price. So the only area that the dealer is making money is freight fee of $790 and appearance package (if installed - $400-$600). You don't get this kind of a deal at the beginning of the year for a hot selling car, I don't think. Good luck.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    the dealer is making money is freight fee of $790

How's that? Destination fee, shipping or freight fee is what manufacturer charges dealerships. How is dealership making money on that?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Honda's dealer-holdback is 2 % of base msrp. The Accords top of the line V-6 touring at $34,000 hold back would be $680.

• mld421mld421 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    I got a quote on an EX-L CVT of $24000 even before destination (24790 with diestination) The only fee outside of the tax, title, and tags is a 200 dollar doc fee. Should I jump on this?
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    edited February 2013
    It seems to me that the real dealers cost of any said vehicle we cant truly determine. We have guidlines that the car industry have set up and those are the rules we play by.
    Car salesman today are on salary. Most make as little as 100 dollars per vehicle sold.
    The formula to buying any vehicle should be started like this.

1- Find invoice price
    2- Minus dealer hold back
    3-Minus rebates and Incentives
    4- Minus doc fee's
    This is your starting point on buying any vehicle.

Where is the salesman's $100 comission coming from if you are paying what dealer paid? Where is the electricity being paid for? Heating? Water? Sewer? Property taxes?

So, when you go to a supermarket to buy a gallon of milk, do you tell them that their $4/gallon price is too high, and you want to pay $3/gallon, which is what they paid?

Perhaps you never sold a thing in your life, and that is why you think the way you think. One day you will own something, and you will want to sell it. Someone, just like you, will tell you what they should bepaying you. See how you feel.

I have a small business, (outside of my day job), and when I have a customer who tells me what it should cost me in parts, and that is what they should be paying me, I flat out tell them since they don't value what I do, they can buy the components them selves and build it them selves.

I am not in it for just the fun of it. I am in it for the money. While I like doing what I do, I am not going to do it for free.

I am all for being frugal, but people would not be in business if it were not for them making a living.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Poster said that should be the starting point. Dealer tries to maximise their profit, buyer tries to pay the least. That's the way the game is played in the car business.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • whatcar2buywhatcar2buy Member Posts: 35
    For a 2013 EX-L CVT, $25,000(sale price+doc fee) sounds fishy. The invoice price is about $26,400. So 1400 below invoice is way too low for the model/trim right now. Check if it is a demo car. If it is not, they might force options/add-ons that are way too expensive. Sometimes they might have mandatory financing from the dealer to get that price, you might wanna check that too. Otherwise, even with a few expensive options, it sounds like a great deal. Out of curiosity, where is this dealer?
    edited February 2013
    I could see you have no clue how the Car business Operates. There is no proof beyond what the manufactors tell us on car prices. Do we really know the true cost. i doubt it..
    When you have hundreds of Honda dealerships all competing for your business you make your best deal. Me as a consumer could care less about dealerships electric, gas, lawn maintaince bills etc. I'm looking for the best price. If dealers cant do a certain price another can. And thats how the Car game is played. Its the way business has been for years.
    You like to buy your milk at Pathmark for $4
    I like to buy my milk at walmart for..........3

Everything you buy in your lifetime is about price. So cut all this nonsense out about dealers not making money... you own a business. what ever your bottom line number is thats what you sell at. If you cant make it you get out..

• augcarbuyeraugcarbuyer Member Posts: 18
    Why does it sound fishy? I got an EX CVT for 1500 under invoice recently. And it had on 2 miles on it. The demand for some models are not as high as others. And there are dealers who are willing to move the cars fast.

As to financing, I ran into some dealers that force me to use their finance, even if financing only the minimum amount. I also ran into dealers who don't care. The dealer I got my car from doesn't care.
    This is exactly what i'm talking about. Above poster is concerned about what he thinks is a fair price. But he just gave the dealership where he bought at 800 or more dollars than he should have. If you do not buy from the lowest buying point you could never determine what the market value is for said vehicle. I'm not saying you can always get the hold back and doc fee's but it is a great starting point and you work up from that number. The true cost of the vehicle we do not know. You have to play there game. This is there system.

I just checked and Honda has a 1.9% financing for up to 60months. We are heading in the right direction. ... though no cash back incentives that I am aware of.
  • shar992shar992 Member Posts: 2
    For an Accord, EX-L, 4 cylinder, I was offered a price of $25,800 (plus, tax, tire fees, plates etc). Do you think this is reasonable? Thanks for any opinion.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited February 2013
    1.9% for 60 months on the 2013 Accord!

whooo-hoooo!

http://automobiles.honda.com/current-offers.aspx?ft=1

2013 Accord Sedan Special APR
    Offer valid from 2/15/2013 through 3/4/2013
    1.9% APR for 24-60 months
    For well-qualified buyers and buyers that qualify for the Honda Graduate Program criteria
    Special APR offer valid on new and unregistered 2013 Accord Sedan Models from February 15, 2013 through March 4, 2013, to well qualified buyers on approved credit by Honda Financial Services through participating dealers. Must take new retail delivery on vehicle from dealer stock by March 4, 2013. Not all buyers may qualify. Higher rates apply for buyers with lower credit ratings. Example for 2013 Accord: 1.9% for 60 months financing at $17.48 a month for every $1,000.00 financed. Dealers set actual prices. See your Honda dealer for details.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • irving2013irving2013 Member Posts: 3
    I made an offer of $26000 for same car. Dealer did not accepted it.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    That's a great price. Almost 3000 off of list. Go for it!
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)