Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• janreivjanreiv Member Posts: 6
    This is for the Sport Model, NOT the LX.. so with that said is it good?
  • jimmytulsajimmytulsa Member Posts: 48
    Provide detailed breakdown of your $24,678 number. Any trade in?
  • trusso69trusso69 Member Posts: 68
    edited March 2013
    The Sport CVT is very popular because you get the power seat and the impressive 18 inch wheels and Michelin tires with black-only interior color options. With a MSRP of 25.0, the best price i have is 22.5 (in OH) before tax and dmv fees. If you can get that one o-t-d for 24.5k, then that is a good deal. I don't know Florida tax and DMV but i do know that they TRY to get people on the optional doc fee:
    FL average $610 range $0 to $998 truth: No cap or rules
    good luck
    I have been aggressively haggling the price down from 23,980 to getting price quotes from the 4 other honda dealers in my area and asking the dealer to beat the price. I even used the truecar.com price to get me leverage, finally we came into the dealer with an agreement of $21,079 we got their and my wife wanted lower and so we got it down to $20,880 discount was like previously said brought down to $4105 but then they added the dealership installed accessories which included, the $998 pro package which entailed anti wheel locks, splash guards, and cargo tray. Then they added a digital tint fee of $299, and finally added the pinstripe fee. Which read out to be $22K after dealer accessories, with that said the tax was calculated from that and price was given at a total of $24,678 out the door. Many factors leading to this price was the lowest dealer fee in my area of $559 and then a $250 discount coupon (a promo offered just for registering to their website) and finally I told them we were returning customers in which brought us to our price. I hope that breaks it down for you.
  • carhunter00carhunter00 Member Posts: 7
    not to sound like a car buyer expert myself, but i think you can do a little bit better than that. 24678 out of the door on a sedan sport i assumed? i was offered 25200 out of the door for a EX coupe CVT tranny, white with ivory interior, dealer throws in an all season mats too.
    edited March 2013
    Seems to me there is $1120 worth of dealer fluff. The accessories if you really want them are worth $300 to $400. If you can live without that stuff, find another car because the dealer is distracting you. Or wait until Friday March 29th. Get rid of that $559 fee. So you see how a great price of $20880 eventually becomes inflated.

Negotiate on the total OTD price and then add TTL.
    Waiting for the 29th will cause the dealer to drop the dealership fee?
    it seems like you really like the car a lot. however, keep in mind that when you go hunt for a vehicle, you have to be discipline. buying a car is not like buying a home, car value drops every day. waiting until 29th might not cause the dealer to drop the doc fee, but it will definitely save you a few hundreds.
    edited March 2013
    For my car, I negotiated the OTD price, added TTL (constant). No nickel and dime crap, accessories or dealer fee.

If you want accessories, negotiate that in the OTD price. At all times keep your eye on the OTD price and then add the constant TTL.

Not a plug but try these for accessories to gauge pricing:
    accessories-Honda.com
    Hondapartsdeals.com
    Collegehillshonda.com
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    edited March 2013
    I agree - folks come to this forum for advice and there are a certain few who choose to berate them instead of helping and advising.
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • blk_acrd_sprtblk_acrd_sprt Member Posts: 6
    $24,678 isn't bad for Sport CVT. I bought the same exact model for 24500 OTD and I live in Illinois (8.25% tax). My initial offer was 21539 + 790 dest. fee. After all the figures were on the table, I negotiated down to 24500.

I even got an offer for 23500 OTD when I just started shopping around so you could go lower now that Honda is giving a better incentives and all.

Plus, all those add-ons by dealers...you probably don't "need" them. Dealers do that to raise the price but you probably know this by now.
  • cbany1cbany1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Janreiv,
    Can you share the dealer info with $23500 OTD offer?

Thanks,
    CB
  • 532532 Member Posts: 6
    Got a quote for OTD EX CVT
    Sale Price - $23,299
    Trade value - 8,000
    $15,299

8% sales tax - $1,223.92
    Document fee 75.00
    NYS tire tax 12.50
    NYS inspection 10.00

Total = $16,620.42 + DMV (estimated less than $200)

What do you guys think??
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited March 2013
    I think its a good starting point. You want to buy this vehicle on March 31.
    being you have a trade in i would hit at least 5 or more dealerships to see if you could get more on your trade in. Make your best deal last day of this month. the sale price of the Accord you should get lower on last day. take the lowest prices you seen in this forum and shoot for that price or lower..

Do not buy before march 31. This is the first quarters end for all Car companies........ Dealers need and want those sales quotes and incentives from the Honda corp.

I called alot of dealerships in new york. post what area your looking to buy i will help you........................ if needed

Brian

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• 532532 Member Posts: 6
    Sure. Thank you Brian. I could use some help. I'm in Upstate NY. Binghamton area. This quote I got from Albany are. Local guys are .... and want almost a thousand more. I talked to 3 dealers so far and this was the lowest at this point.
    edited March 2013
    i'm not sure how far you want to drive to get trade in prices. your best bet is to target as many dealerships around your area. i live in NYC area so i did not go looking for pricing that far upstate. Try Friendly honda they are high volume and Yonkers Honda.. Call Internet sales mngr Rich he is real good over there.

Here are some dealers by or outside Albany

Lia honda
    Mohawk

best i could do for you......Good luck

• blk_acrd_sprtblk_acrd_sprt Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2013
    It's O'Hare Honda in Des Plaines. They were also offering 1.9% financing.
    But I gotta say this -- when I walked away from that price and decided to buy the car the next day they counter offered me for 24500 OTD.

Are you in Chicagoland area?
  • tyc1tyc1 Member Posts: 3
    I got the following quote from a dealer in GA. Is it a good deal?

Base Price (incl. destination) $19,770
    Title/License $ 42
    Documentation Fee $ 599 (usually $399~599 in GA)
    One time Ad Valorem Tax (6.5%) $ 1,350 (estimated;may vary)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total (drive-out price) $21,761
  • cbany1cbany1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks blk_acrd_sprt.
    I am in Dallas Texas and I think the price is higher down here.
    Thinking about get the car in Chicago or Boston and have it ships to Dallas :)
  • princessbslprincessbsl Member Posts: 4
    Last month I was given a price on an EX-L of $26,500 at my local dealer. At the time I was looking to trade in my 2010 Accord EX-L which they originally were going to give me 16k for and later upped that to 17k. I ended up selling my 2010 myself and am now needing to work out a deal for the 2013. Is the 26,500 a reasonable price? This includes the destination fee. I would also have a $40 doc fee plus 6% KY taxes. I was really hoping to get a lower price and maybe some all season mats thrown in. Do you think that is pushing too far? I want to go in prepared this weekend!
  • ziggy25aziggy25a Member Posts: 24
    I don't think you are pushing too hard. In fact if you sign up at weymouth honda's website, you will see their internet pricing for the ex-l is 25,519 plus their doc fee of about 279, so you are about 800 over their price. Is 26,500 reasonable? Sure, it probably is better than the average deal, but you aren't pushing too hard.
  • princessbslprincessbsl Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the advice!! I am really looking forward to getting my new car!
    edited March 2013
    ref 28980
    Basically before TT&L (which is state specific), you are at 19770+599=20369 for the LX model. That is within $169 of the best deal i've seen posted on this site which was about 20.2k (search for post 28851 for details). Use your best judgment but it's a good deal this month...gl
    ref 28982
    Have you tried the wyler dealerships in Florence or Frankfort? They are very competitive up here where i am in the Cincy area. use carwoo if it's available near you...this data from weymouth for comparison only:
    MSRP including destination $28,785.00
    Sale Price $25,527.71
    Residual $16,983.15 (59% of MSRP)
    Financing 0.00107 money factor
  • tyc1tyc1 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the comment. As soon as purchasing the car at the price (I want to make sure), I will add the dealership info in another post.
  • miked85miked85 Member Posts: 1
    Hey brian,

I live in the NYC area as well and i'm also shopping for an EX CVT. I've just started contacting dealers through truecar and carwoo, but I would love to get some insight based on the research you've done already. Is there a dealership that you can recommend for me for a hassle free deal?

I'm looking to buy by March 31st.
    edited March 2013
    mike
    Once you figured out your target buying price. Call as many dealerships on march 31 to see who will meet your price.
    DO NOT BUY VEHICLE BEFORE MARCH,31. You will get best price and deal from these dealers on that day. Unless a dealer meets your price on the 30th..

1000 below invoice or lower is where your asking number should be. That you need to figure out.
    Contact all high volume dealerships on march 30 to see where the market is for your model. Call these dealerships first... Tell each dealership you will buy that moment if they meet your asking price.

1-Weymouth , Herb Chambers, Bosch in M.A.. doc fee's 249 to 300
    2-Price honda ...D.E..............299
    3-Friendly.. N.Y..... DOC fee...75
    4- New Rochelle.....doc..........75
    5- Yonkers...........................75
    Adjust your sale price to compensate dealers doc fee's.

New york price would be 1075 below invoice
    M.A.. would be ..1249 and 1300 hundred below dealers invoice.

I would try calling these dealerships on march 31 for the sale
    Hamillton, Autosport, Paul Miller in N.J
    Paragon,Bay ridge,Hillside Honda in N.Y.

If you want to do some good research to help your end of the month sale. I would suggest calling every dealership mentioned plus others and ask each dealership the name and number or email of each dealerships Internet sales manager so you could contact directly on last days / day of the month. this avoids wasted time on purchase day

There are 2 poster who bought in N.Y that bought your model hopefully they will post dealership.

Brian, you keep posting "don't buy a car before March 31". Do you realize that is Easter Sunday and many if not most dealerships will be closed? Not to mention many people probably have family gatherings to attend and wouldn't be leaving the family Easter get together to go haggle at a dealership.
    You are correct. Dealerships last day of the quarter will be march 30. You could start your process on the thur, 28th or 29th buying... Sat the 30th.

• darbebodarbebo Member Posts: 14
    Hello,

Was hoping you could give me some guidance and maybe talk some sense to me.

I currently own a 2005 honda accord LX and i'm in the market for a new car. Honda's been fine but whenever i turn in a side street with 10-20 mph my tires start squeaking and on those loopy freeway on-ramps i feel if i go faster than 25 mph my car can flip.

Getting close to 30 yrs old i thought to myself, why not get a bmw before settling down to an accrd again and enjoy the turning without fearing that i'll flip over 25 mph? And as for all bmw, they should be leased. So i thought to myself, if i lease for 2/3 years, i'll be back at March 2015 or 2016 and I'll have to "buy a car" again at that time....

all this time while my wife's 2006 scion TC will be 10 yrs old and if i buy a new accord at that time, pay for it 60 months her TC will be 15-16 years before she can get a new car lol...

So obviously the "logical and sane" choice would be to buy an accord now, get a 4 or 5 yr payment plan on it, then her scion would be roughly 11 yrs old and would be ok to get her a car at that time (instead of 16yrs old)

But my concern is: "but i've never really driven a bmw before and like to reward myself and have the freakin wheels not squeel and have nice corner turning!"

So i ask you, knowledgeable Edmunds members, what should i do? Should i get a EX-L v6 or something that will have the same driving experience as the bmw? or bmw too far above it?

Note: No 2 door/coupe allowed, No accesories really needed (no nav/moonroof/weird crap)

Because if getting a decked out honda will giving me the same driving exp as the bmw 328i base series, i might as well get the honda with lower price!

I know the 328i is a 4 cylinder engine, and so does the LX accord / lower end EX, would honda's v4 = bmw's v4? am i dreaming again?

Please help a fellow honda owner out!

lastly, is 2013's accord worth getting (first model of new cycle) or should i let them work out kinks and get the 2014 since it's march already??

Again, i sat the new honda last week and inside is nice! not knocking that, but want to know about the driving exp.
    Your air pressure is low or you have [non-permissible content removed] tires on your car. thats question 1.
    Everything else is how much you want to spend and preference. Bmw is a tighter ride, better handling and will bounce around alot in the 328. Your a young man you may like that kind of ride. 328 is small
    If your starting a family save your money buy the new accord. Otherwise step up to the 5 series bmw better all around.

I thought "better handling" = no squealing or no "feels like tipping/flipper over"?

But you're saying if i get better wheels i would have no squealing?

What about the ability to handle going on those circular free way on-ramps faster than "big-rig speed"? without feeling tipped over? Is that a bmw advantage?

can you comment on the 2013 vs 2014 choice? is there a need to avoid the first year of the model?

can anyone also comment on the equivalent on engine from the 2.0-liter, inline 4-cylinder engine on the bmw?? the Honda v4? Honda v6?

thanks!
  • mr_numbmr_numb Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2013
    The 6-speed gearbox is pretty great. Gates are clear and the throws are a good length. The stick itself is a little small, but I'm growing to like it quite a bit, actually.

The gearbox also offers some resistance if you try to put it in 1st at speeds higher than 20 mph, which I used to do on approach to something like a stop sign (clutch down, of course). This is probably a safety feature/quirk, but interesting nevertheless.

My previous MT car was a 5-speed VW Golf TDI which had "grabby" brakes and a gearbox with a very precise biting point. Fun to drive, though!

The clutch on the 2013 Accord Sport felt a little ambiguous at first (hard to tell the exact biting point), but I'm getting used to it now: it has a more consistent feel throughout the travel of the pedal. This also makes it very forgiving and means you can get away with being quite sloppy with your changes if that's your thing. Hill start assist also helps prevent the car from stalling if you don't give it enough gas.

I'm very happy with the manual transmission anyway!
  • huskerfan5huskerfan5 Member Posts: 165
    These cars are engineered and priced totally different to serve different markets. I can understand you soliciting opinions about the Accord vs other competing mid-size cars. We could add real value in helping you choose, but you are asking people whether they prefer apples or oranges. No doubt, there will be days I would like to zip around in a BMW and days where I would appreciate the utility of the Accord. Only you should decide what is best for you. There are people out there today trying to decide if they should go for the refinement of the Accord or the handling of the new Mazda6, or go for the cornering of a 328 or the stability of an Audi A4, but you are probably the only person deciding between and Accord and BMW today.
  • thegeezerthegeezer Member Posts: 5
    Hi folks, I am in the market for an EX-L V6 and wondered if anyone has gotten a good price from a good sales person in the Dallas area.

From reading the postings on this forum, it seems that a good price right now for EX-L V6 (w/out nav) is in the range of $27,300 to $27,800 PLUS Tax, Title and License.

Can anyone provide any specific examples of pricing in the Dallas area. Thanks very much!

The Geezer
    I don't think darbebo is the only person cross shopping the BMW 328i and the Honda Accord v6. I looked very seriously at the 328i (and the Mercedies C250) but in both cars I could not get past the lack of power (or the sound) from the 4 cylinder engine. I would like to wait for the new Hyundai Genesis, but really need a new car now.
    What is a good price range for a 13 accord coupe ex with.cvt.trann in new england.area? out the.door price?
    I wouldn't get the hyundai, but just very curious on the engine equiv for the 328i.

Also, the fact that Honda does NOT do white exterior with black interior excep tthe sport trim, just makes me mad.

Lastly, is having that "push start" button appear to you guys? because the sports trim does not have it ...wtf honda...
    Regarding the push start button - I am a big fan. I currently drive a 2007 Lexus with that feature - the main benefit is that you don't need to get your keys out of your pocket - you just walk up to your car, open the door, and hit the button.

Every time I get into my wife's Sienna I find that, after I sit down, I have to fish around in my pocket for my keys. Awkward.

Is it a must have feature, no. Is it nice to have, YES.
  • jahbone9jahbone9 Member Posts: 2
    I just cut a deal for an EX-L 4cyl CVT for $27,000 OTD. This number includes taxes (Maryland 6%) and also the throwaways.....wheel locks, splash guards, etc.

I would think that $25,000 plus the VA 3% isn't out of the ballpark. However, I did try a dealer in Fairfax, VA and they wouldn't come lower than 28,343 6%MD included.
    From what I was reading on another forum, the 2013 suffers from wind noise on the passenger + driver side window, as if the sealant/foam wasn't tight enough esp when driving on freeway.

Does anyone have this problem?

And also, seems like this is the first year honda rolls out with CVT and people are suggesting to go get some warranty for the electronics failure down the road since this is their first model of the cycle.

Bigger question: Should we wait for 2014 model esp since it's only 3-4 months away?
    My EXL v-6 has no wind noise. This is my 5th honda. This Accord seems to be the best one yet. Honda did go cheaper on the front struts, why i dont know.

2014 model wont be out til late in the yr. The hybrid model might be out by summer.

Some clarifications to your post

If you read the discussion of the wind noise, it only affects SOME (not many) of the 2013's, and it is corrected by a published Service Bulletin at the dealer. Quite likely a fix has already been done at the factory by now, so that the dealers don't have to repair this for more recent factory output. So this problem, in time, should be a non issue.

Next you say that this is the "first year" that Honda has rolled the CVT. Honda has been making CVTs for many years with no major issues. This is the first year the CVT had been added to the Accord, but not for Honda, as you stated.

Lastly as the other poster pointed out, the 2014s are not 3-4 months away, but instead about 7 months away. When they come out, the pricing (as with any new model year) will initially be high.

The 2014's will undoubted have cars with their own minor correctable issues as well, which also will be discussed in forums later this year.
  • jatanjatan Member Posts: 92
    Getting a new car just b/c your car squeaks in turns? Seems like you're looking for an excuse to buy a new car =P

Most likely your suspension is worn out or the front strut bearings -- it could also be a ball joint or one of the control arm/sway bar/end link bushings

Have your car checked out first to see what actually needs to be done before going out and buying a new car...
  • okaniokani Member Posts: 20
    4 cylinder BMW 328 or 338 would kick butt off any V6 accord, I love the experience of BMW, but I can't afford having one long term so I bought 2009 Accord EX-L V6, replaced OEM tires (they were crap) on Ultra High Performance All Season Bridgestone, went plus 0 size from 225/50R17 to 235/50R17 - but believe me, I can only try to believe that it is the same handling and driving as BMW, but I know that any 4 cylinder BMW will pick up faster than Accord V6, I have same cornering and response due to my wider tires but loosing mpg because of that, and Accord still takes a second to pick up when you need to change lanes unlike BMW that does it right away, also when you have to make a stop, Accord tilts front and in BMW you seat unchanged, unless it is an emergency break. Remember, V6 will just give you a power to pick up and definitely will help to join highways, but won't give you the same acceleration as BMW. One day, when my kids will graduate a college - I'll jump back to BMW.
  • huskerfan5huskerfan5 Member Posts: 165
    darbebo, please start your own forum for your concerns. This is a Prices Paid/Buying Experience forum.
    Thanks
  • stage4survivorstage4survivor Member Posts: 56
    This is pretty savvy advice from Brian but, I would add Route 22 Honda & DCH Paramus. Weymouth gave me a slightly better price but, couple 100 miles away.
    I got the best TOTAL price for our Accord Touring in our region.
    Paragon??? Count your fingers afterward if you shake hands!
  • mattyice6mattyice6 Member Posts: 2
    Are doc fee's really that high up north? Around here there only 120-150
  • mattyice6mattyice6 Member Posts: 2
    I agree with you about the accessories, I wouldn't take a car with $700 in add-ons unless they were free or discounted quite a bit.

But those protection packages or the "first place finish" is great, I don't understand why everyone thinks it's so bad...the dealer isn't always out to get the customer. If you ever do ANYTHING to your fabric/leather,spill a drink,tear or rip the fabric, etc.(and we all do it) the dealership takes care of it! The same goes for your exterior paint. I hear so many people say that they like beige or gray interior but need to get black because of coffee or what their kids spill. The "first place finish", just like a warranty is $11 a month if your term is 60, its $10 and below if your term is longer.

I guess I'm just saying for that price when I buy a new car, which will be soon... I want that protection package
  • jahbone9jahbone9 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    2013 Accord EX-L without Nav, with wheel locks, splash guards and edge guards

I only contacted two dealers via internet. I had already test drove. I negotiated an OTD price of $27,000 PERIOD with one of the two. That includes TTL (6%MD), the whole nut. the other dealer was ~$1300 higher OTD.
    Went in today to do the paperwork, put up with the usual upsale stuff...protections, accessories. No, thank you. They tried to stick me for an extra $500 at the table. I replied that the deal was the deal. I pulled out a bank draft that was valid for a maximum amount of $27,000 and told them that was it (very effective tool). I was prepared to walk out and I wasn't going to budge off the number we negotiated yesterday. Here is the exact order breakdown:
    Retail Price $24,207.22
    Freight $790.00
    Sub Total $24997.22
    Titling Tax/Reg $144.00
    Electronic Reg Fee $20.00
    Sales and Use Tax 1511.78
    License Fee $128.00
    Dealer Processing $199.00
    Total OTD $27,000
    I was in at 11AM and out by 12:30, with a short test drive included. I'm satisfied with the deal. Hope this info helps someone.