Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• wrtoffwrtoff Member Posts: 7
    2013 accord sedan. exl with navi v6 I paid $28,500 with destination fee included. cargo tray and all weather mats included. 6.25% sales tax (MA). This was over Presidents Day weekend. I negotiated with 5 Honda dealerships in the Boston area. Honda Cars of Boston were the lowest. That was the best deal going at the time.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited March 2013
    What states are you looking to buy. EXL V-6 is the hardest model to nail down a price....... like the other models are selling.
    I would have to say from experience if you make your calls/ emails on friday the 29th telling all dealerships you contact you are ready to buy for xxx price you should do just as good if not better than the feb/ people who purchased.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• lexani18zzlexani18zz Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2013
    Wow you paid $28,500 plus tax correct? The price I quoted was from ray price honda in PA
    I'm open to
    New Jersey
    Philadelpia Pa
    Delaware
    Maryland
  • mike372mike372 Member Posts: 354
    Brian, I am looking for a 2013 Accord LXCVT and called Autosport and talked to Jane, who claimed to be one of the managers and the best price she could give me with the 249 doc fee was 21,220 which was only about 100 below invoice. Not including NJ reg fee of NJ tax. 13as claimed they got a sport auto model at autosport for 23 OTD which I asume included tax and reg fee. What do I have to do to get them to go lower or should I forget about autosport alltogether.
  • gene103gene103 Member Posts: 47
    I have noticed that Brian advises to call and email dealers, but if you read his post regarding his purchase, he went down to his local dealership and made a deal, just like 95% of people who buy cars. You will never get Autosport's best deal via a phone call.
    I would give them one more shot on friday the 29th. along with the rest of your targeted dealerships. dont start your buying process til then.

Call and only speak to the internet sales manager KERRY on the 29th
    Make sure you tell him you are buying the car that day .does he want the sale for your targeted price. Check there inventory 1st to make sure he has your model and color or they wont deal..

your lx cvt model is selling between 600 and 1000 below invoice.

You should get your price..

i think jane lied to you...she might of been just a floor sampler with the price she gave you..
    you know they train these people like robots.

edited March 2013
    Gene

You are dead wrong about auto sport i would of purchased from them on jan 30th but there last exl v-6 black touring was sold to another poster in here for 1000 below invoice .

I purchased my last honda from Auto-sport a few years ago.. by phone Gene

So much for your Autosport phone theory.

you should stick to reading these posts and learning.

Brian, thanks for the super quick reply! The problem with Autosport right now is that they dont have the silver or dark blue that I want and they are not getting a silver one in til beginning of April. But Hamilton Honda just emailed me a quote whuch was 516 below invoice, so if they agree to waive the 249 doc fee the price would be 765 below invoice and I would buy it there. But I probably will have to go down there, about 1.5 hours away, to fnd out if they would go lower. They have both the silver and dk blue is stock as of today. Also that dealer in MD just emailed me a quote of 1000 below invoice but not sure if I want to drive 4 hours if Hamilton will come down a little more.
    edited March 2013
    Autosport wont deal if vehicle is not in stock. dont bother with them. Call Hamilton on the 29th and tell them you will buy for 800 below invoice or make them match your best offer. Make dealer fax you over the buyers order and secure your deal with a credit card deposit. there is no need to go into any dealership unless you agree on a price. especially if they are hours away.
    you might want to visit some local dealerships on friday if you cant negotiate by phone ..... call as many dealers on the 29th and make your best deal.. it might be wise to check all these dealerships inventory 1st. The bigger dealers who sells cars might not care about if its not in there inventory ..they will get it...

• smartconsumesmartconsume Member Posts: 3
    I've been reading this forum for a little over a month and i've got to say thank you to the people that contribute and especially to Brian, who seems to as obsessive as I am about getting a good deal. I'd also like to ask for a bit of help.

Brian any idea of what I should be looking to pay on the 2013 Honda Accord EX L v6 in NC? I see lots of advice geared toward the NJ area, wondering if you have an idea how much the ttl would affect the price in my area. Are the prices of around 500-1000$ below invoice realistic in the South?

As of now I know i'm going to try dealers carrying large volumes of this car within 150 miles on the 29th. This alone I think will help my cause immensely. Thanks in advance.
  • adamt3adamt3 Member Posts: 14
    Best quote I have received in southwest PA for a sport (modern steel) is 22,295 with 500 in Honda flex cash - so 21,795. 12k/36m lease with 1k down would be 256.18/month (allegheny county taxes). 0 down would be 285.88/month
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I got a deal from one of the dealers in best price out of 5 Dealers in St. louis

st. louis for 20,720+TTL Sales tax 6.95%
    Il Dealer for 21,182+TTL Sales tax 4.2% out of state tax

Please suggest me is this the best price to buy the car or can i bargin more?

Thanks in advance.

I am pretty sure you pay the sales tax for the area where you register it, otherwise everyone would be buying cars in states that have no sales taxes.
  • adamt3adamt3 Member Posts: 14
    Forgot to include this is a CVT as well
  • wap7wap7 Member Posts: 2
    Brian, with a OTD of 23812, should i settle for this price or should wait for couple of days? If i have to wait what price should i look at?
  • jimmytulsajimmytulsa Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2013
    Gene,

Don't forget to renew your membership to the US Association of Automotive Dealers!

Others,

I bought my 2013 EX-L CVT by email and phone entirely. This is not the first time either. Do not go in the dealer's den and get clobbered. Run the show from your den.

I scored $3,850 below MSRP.

TTL is $937 paid at a tag agency.

Happy hunting.
  • hp2326hp2326 Member Posts: 12
    Just got Honda accord 2013 ex for $25400.. Out the door...

$23114.49 price with desti fee
    + $ 359.00. Doc fee
    + $ 301.00 reg fee
    + $ 1618.00. Tax
    + $ 7.50. Tire tax

Total $25400.00..
  • nbk301nbk301 Member Posts: 9
    Just wondering.. what was the dealer name?
  • frogeefrogee Member Posts: 5
    I bought one of these back in November and now regret it. The V-6 makes an annoying vibration when it's running on three cylinders, which is a lot. Perhaps you won't notice it. My price was okay, but included a large trade-in, and the Honda was a demo with 1,000 miles on it.
  • jivanajivana Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2013
    I'm in the market for the 2013 Accord EX-L (CVT). Is $25K a reasonable OTD target in the Chicagoland area? Or am I being too aggressive?
  • smartconsumesmartconsume Member Posts: 3
    That's terrible news. One of the reason I liked it was because of how silent it was. Do you know what your sales price was?

When do you notice the annoying vibration, and is this a known occurrence/issue?

I'd appreciate at any info.
  • nonoahnonoah Member Posts: 2
    when I talk to a dealer telling him I got this price 22837 1200 below, he don't believe it and ask for proof to match the price, can you email me (noah.luk@gmail.com) the offer from the dealer or any suggestion.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Invoice plus destination is 26,399, so good luck with that. That's without the nav.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • pickthedavidpickthedavid Member Posts: 8
    Hi Brian,

First of all, thanks for replying to everybody and sharing your tips. Also a huge thanks to everybody for sharing their experiences and ideas. I am a first time buyer and its a jungle out there for me.

Anyway I recently test drove the Honda Accord EX and the dealer gave me the price $22,047.00 (~25,500 OTD). After reading some of your guys posts, it seems like there is nothing to negotiate here.. I went back all the way and couldnt find anybody who got the car for less than 25k. My question is should I even bother bargaining? Or should I accept this price and ask for more services like oil change/car wash etc.

Again thanks everybody. You"ll have motivated me enough to share all my experiences with you"ll. Hopefully I seal the deal soon!
  • carhunter00carhunter00 Member Posts: 7
    i recently purchased an ex.coupe cvt for.23,125. (25k otd). so if u can get a.sedan for 22,047. i think.it is a.bargain. but.how you come up.with 25.5k otd? it.seems like your.dealer's fee.and.state tax.are pretty high.
    Brian, not sure why you took such exception to my post. All I did was state my opinion (something you do more than anyone in this forum) and support it by using someone considered an email/phone proponent who would use my position to their advantage. So let me take this opportunity to reply.

Gene

You are dead wrong about auto sport i would of purchased from them on jan 30th but there last exl v-6 black touring was sold to another poster in here for 1000 below invoice .

Hmm, you just missed out on that great deal from Autosport, and I recall you that someone just beat you out of a great deal at the dealer in Myrtle Beach. Am I sensing a pattern here?

I purchased my last honda from Auto-sport a few years ago.. by phone Gene So much for your Autosport phone theory.

So much for my Autosport theory.? All you have proven is that you decided to buy a car by phone from Autosport. How do you come to the conclusion you got a better deal than those who made a deal in person? You know what they all paid?.

you should stick to reading these posts and learning.

What a condescending remark!
    Yes, I have learned quite a bit. I learned that you love giving out your opinions, even if you don’t follow your own advice. I didn’t post that I went to a dealer on Feb 28 and worked out a deal in 20 minutes. You did.

Gene
    I live in Chicagoland so 9.5% sales tax, destination fee (800) and new plates
    Jimmy,

At least you use humor to disagree. Maybe some of you will rub off on Brian.

Bouncers, supermodels, they intimidate me, auto salesman don't so I won't be clobbered (and I'm not implying they intimidate you either). Have I left money on the table? Probably every time, but I think I did better than if I negotiated by phone. I think it just makes sense that you get the best deal when you are there and they know you are really serious.

Maybe it's different in your area but I'm glad you did so well.

Gene
    Hey guys,

Hoping to buy the car and pull the trigger this week on a Honda Accord 2013 EX for 25400 out the door. What do you guys think?
  • dan818dan818 Member Posts: 2
    After reading for several weeks and learning a lot from you all, this is my first post to the forum. I am shopping for a EX-L V6 sedan and am looking to purchase this week. I started sending out emails and calling the local dealerships yesterday. I received a few email quotes in the ballpark of $27,500 and feel that's about the best I'm going to get (maybe another couple hundred off but not much more). Today a local dealer offered me demo V6 EX-L with 3,500 miles for about $26,000.

I would appreciate any thoughts/ input about the new offer vs. the demo offer. Does the demo savings justify being "used" and having 3,500 miles in your opinion? And especially if you have purchased a demo, what has your experience been? Thanks so much for the feedback guys.
  • minivan_2011minivan_2011 Member Posts: 9
    Hi pickthedavid,

Would you mind sharing which dealership offered the 22047 price for EX? I am in Chicago area and would like to purchase a '13 Accord b/f end of this month. Thanks.
  • jimmytulsajimmytulsa Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2013
    Gene,

The strategy simply lets me guage the pricing landscape across the radius of x miles from y number of dealers. Especially for a redesigned car that is only 5/6 months old and in somewhat limited numbers. Then let them compete with each other for my business. And all that from the privacy of my home. Not an easy task mind you. But it is exciting. You only drive to one dealer...the one with the best bid.

Thanks for enjoying my joke :)
    edited March 2013
    If you make your calls on friday to as many dealerships with Meet my price i buy today. You will have your own answers on pricing and where the market is for your vehicle in your state. you guys dont need anyone but your self to figure out pricing..No dealership will give you his best price on phone or by email the first 3 weeks. Some of you probably already learned they wont give you a quote on the phone or by email. Why is that. No leverage... gotta know when to make your calls and emails.

They want you to come into the dealership so they could rape you. dont fall for that. if you are in any dealership to buy it best be the last 2 days/ last day of any month..

make your calls on the last 2 days/ last day. thats when most dealerships are ready to sell to the smart buyers..

Once you do your homework with your targeted dealerships/ You make your best deal. If time is on your side and pricing is bad wait another month.

Dont always believe some of the prices paid in these forums.. people lie

Been helping and telling people for 15 yrs in these edmunds forums

How to find out market price

how to make your best deal with the least amount of wasted dealership time and b.S.

happy hunting on friday/ post your deals to help the other buyers.

One other very important note............Gene

when you come into the dealership this week come see me
    I'll be the supermodel blonde sitting at desk 5 dont try any funny stuff................................

jimmy's my pimp daddy

DCH Honda Paramus.
    What did you pay OTD.. can you break down the numbers for us.
    Thanks..
  • dan818dan818 Member Posts: 2
    Any thoughts on my post from yesterday regarding new vs demo pricing? For an EX-L V6, do you think $1500 in savings is worth getting the demo model with 3,500 miles? The demo would end up being about $2500 below invoice, while I have quotes for the same car new at about $1000 below invoice. Anyone had experience buying a demo model before?
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited March 2013
    Hi Dan...funny you should mention a Honda demo. My sister is facing the same dilema. She's looking at a '13 EX-L Navi coupe. She wants new, but they don't have the white or red color she wants in stock.

Have bought and owned a lot of Honda products, both Accords and Acura TLs. Great vehicles.

Personally, 3,500 demo miles are nothing on these cars. I wouldn't be afraid of them at all.

Sounds like a good deal.

While I understand what others are saying about waiting until the end of the month, and email only. Bottom line, a dealership will sell any car, any time, any day. That's what they're in the business to do.

They won't lose money on a car whether you're buying it on the 12th of the month, or the 30th of the month. There are exceptions. For example, using my sister's experience so far, her Honda dealer has a brand new '12 Accord coupe....sitting on the dealer's lot for over 6 months. It's a base model that's a boring silver color. It's not very pretty. And, it's an old body style. And, it's a base model. She could buy it for a steal. But, if no one else wants it now, no one else will want it come time to sell it.

Trying to compare apples to apples on deals is a very tough proposition. If the dealer deeply discounts the new car, he will low ball the trade-in. Or, there will be "add-ons" like window etching, fancy waxes, interior protection, body side molding, fancier wheels, etc.

Personally, I'm not afraid to walk into a dealer with my offer ready to go (Usually in writing). I look at the dealer's stock (Accords are really plentiful right now) situation. I look on line, at forums like these, and other places to see what the cars are selling for. Geography plays a big part. I know cars sell for a little less in Southern CA than they do in the Midwest (where I reside) because of the competition. I look in the newspaper ads, etc. I formulate my offer to be all inclusive...everything....truly out the door.

That is, I figure up tax, tags cost, license fees....everything and present my true "out the door" offer. I explain it's a one and done opportunity. If they accept it, they sold a car. If they reject it (or come back with the inevitable "bump"), I thank them for their time and leave to go to the next dealer to do it again. If the dealer says they want to add to the doc fees, or something else to the deal, I explain to them they can divide up my offer any way they want, but it's a true "one price/one time" offer.

It happens rarely, but sometimes I'll have 2-3 dealers reject my offer. That means I misjudged some parameter. But, then I review my offer, nudge it up a little bit, and go back at it.

Those who like to sit at the dealer for hours on end negotiating...well....I don't understand that and consider it a huge waste of time. They longer you sit at the negotiation table, the more the dealer is bumping your offer up.

Good luck to everyone.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • carhunter00carhunter00 Member Posts: 7
    okay, got you! so the price given wasnt included destination charge. just a suggestion, i think you can get the ex.sedan.cvt otd for 25k no problem. as mentioned, i got my.ex.coupe. cvt otd for 25k with 6.25% sale.tax and 299 doc fee.and 125.title and plate.
  • stage4survivorstage4survivor Member Posts: 56
    Dan,

As has already been stated, I wouldn't be concerned with a demo & 3500 miles IF it's exactly what you want in regards to features, color combo etc. Make sure it has splash guards, wheel locks, all weather mats, spoiler, etc included in the deal. Try to squeeze in extended HondaCare for 5-6 years
    An additional $2500 under sticker seems a fair trade-off.
    I am beginning to doubt whether the Accord LX CVT can be purchased in NJ for close to 1000 below invoice without a trade and w/out financing. I just talked to the internet sales manager Christal at Autosport and got the same price as I was quoted by another associate at that dealer. 21,220 including doc fee. They say that they absolutely will not go a dime lower. Phillipsburg Easton Honda I talked to one of the sales managers and theres no way they are going to sell a Accord at less than invoice (21,369). In fact they wanted more than invoice with the doc fee. So anyone who says they got an Accord at phillipsburg easton Honda for 500 to 1000 below invoice without a trade, well theres something missing because its just not true ( in my experience). I just talked to Clinton Honda in NJ and told them my best deal (out of state) and they said BS and I asked for their best deal and they have not called me back. From my previous inperson experience with Joyce Honda they also will not go below invoice. Its looks like I amgoing to have to go out of state. There is only one NJ dealer at this point in NJ who emailed me a price about 500 less than invoice with doc fee. But its not clear at this point if there were dealer added accessories for more $$ or whether they are going to honor the price when I drive down there.
  • superdeal1234superdeal1234 Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2013
    Hi guys,

I can now say I am a proud owner of a Honda Accord LX CVT 2013. This took many hours of negotiation via email, phone, and 3 visits to dealerships.

We had to pull the trigger on this one quickly because the color combination we wanted (dark grey - modern steel metallic) was not available in most dealerships.

Here are the numbers for a Dark Grey - LX CVT 2013 Accord with the welcome package included (wheel locks, splash guards, etc) and not a demo car in Maryland:

Price: $18,995
    Destination Fee: $790
    Title, Registration, etc: $292
    Dealer Processing Fee: $199
    Taxes: $1200

OTD Price: $21,475

We went through PenFed Car Buying Service.. so we got 1.24%APR for 60 months (lower than Honda Financing). No trade-in, no financing through the dealer.

My recommendation is to start with getting Certificates through PenFed Car buying service, go to a dealership where you can make a relationship in person with a sales person and continue negotiations via email. Then forward those email offers to other dealership and go from there.

I now wonder if could have gotten something lower if I waited until closer to the end of the month. But then I am not sure if we were going to find the vehicle in the right color then.

Good luck!
    Could you post the dealer name, from my experience there is noone who would go down that low. Did you trade in a vehicle?
    Could you explain the PenFEd buying service. certificates? Did these certificates help you with the price of the car or just the financing. If they helped with the actual price of th car, could you provide a contact number co I can call.
    Was the EX a CVT or manual transmission. Thanks
  • superdeal1234superdeal1234 Member Posts: 4
    Let me just say in no way this was easy to pull off. The Sales Manager had to talk to his General Manager to get it approved. Or so he says. I am not sure if I was just lucky. But then 2 other dealerships were going to give me this offer but didn't have the color at the moment. So I don't think it's impossible. A couple of people at the dealership told me that I was pretty much steeling the car. But they were "happy" because at the end of the day they combine all sales and the numbers look good - a bad sale such as mine is offset with a good one, etc.

As far as the certificates, I am not really sure how that helps with the price. It gives you and them a starting point. As far as financing it does help by bringing the APR down from 1.74 to 1.24.

If you are in MD, I strongly suggest you work with Shockley in Frederick, Chriswell in Germantown, and Pohanka in Capitol Heights. Those are the three that were willing to work over email and phone and were pretty much all at the same price.
    Was the EX a sedan or coupe. V-6 or 4 cyl? Did you trade in a vehicle or use Honda financing?
    edited March 2013
    mike
    make your list of dealers in n.j. / n.y/ p.a. etc and call every one and speak to every internet mgr about pricing. figure out your target price and stick to the number. make your best deal at the end of the day friday or wait til Sat. Be patient dealers will wear you down. your buying process starts friday call the bigger dealerships first by phone for the sale and leave what price you buy at. then call the smaller dealerships with YOUR price to buy. Adjust your buying price if nobody will sell on Sat and make your best deal...

Call these dealerships friday tell each one you will consider making the trip to buy from them if you cant get your price closer to home. Ask each dealership if they will sell you the lx model at your price for consideration.. make each dealership give you there best price before hanging up and leave them your number .
    New Rochelle
    friendly
    Yonkers
    Doc fee's are only $ 75 in new york.. your asking price needs to be lower start your pricing between 775 to 700 below.

as you see by calling these dealerships you will get a good indicator on prices.
    dont believe every posting in this forum. make your best deal friday or sat.
    people have claimed to have recieved deals as much as 1000 below.
    In N.J. doc fee's are 299 to 399 so your really buying at 600 and 700 below invoice.
    i bought feb 28th the EXL v-6 and pricing ranged between 400 to almost 800 below invoice after adding on doc fee's. My list of calls was from boston down to maryland for pricing and East coast honda in Myrtle beach. i stayed out of N.C. I made my deal from a local dealer who i had no intension of buying from but he needed the sale and he matched weymouth and price honda for the sale.

Ex CVT..
    It is Honda Accord Sedan Ex CVT transmission.. No trade in.. 5000 down, 60 month finance at 1.9%..
    Hey Mike.. What I would suggest is to call as many dealers as possible and tell them to give you out the door Price and tell them to send you an email with break down. This will help when you go to the dealership ,they can't try to get extra dollar out of your pocket..
    mike
    Open road and Rt 22 wont match any good deal you have. i could tell you this from experience.
    dont bother calling them. I faxed over a quote from another dealership in feb and both could not beat or match it after they sweared up and down just come down we will match/ beat by 500 dollars.. when i questioned the sales managers on there lying practices all i got was these prices are not real.. really is the car sitting in my driveway a mirage.... So be advised on these two dealerships in N.J. there are many more like these 2... you just remove them from your buy list in the future.