Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Invoice + destination = 26,399 according to Edmunds. MRSP around 28,000. Somewhere in between is the fair price.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • mike372mike372 Member Posts: 354
    edited March 2013
    Actually, I may not have a deal tomorrow. I just may wait another month. I will see tomorrow, I may just need another month to clear out my mind. I am really tired of trying to negotiate this car. I have got to get on with other priorities in my life. And its not even my $$, its my girlfriends $$. Maybe the 2000 civic will last another 260000 miles??? Its already made a one way trip to the moon!!!!
  • darrin8darrin8 Member Posts: 14
    I live in chesapeake va and I bought a 13 touring on jan 30, 2013. Paid 800 below edmunds invoice. I priced in va, nc and ga and no one beat the dealership in NJ. I don't have the vibration when v6 goes switches to 3 cyl
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    Darrin
    You stole my bk touring from Autosport in jan. Dealer had the nerve to tell me for a additional 500 they can get me one..
    I'm glad you got it because there were not to many good deals in jan.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• mvperez4jesusmvperez4jesus Member Posts: 231
    Mike I am kind of busy this weekend, but i see u r stressing. So, remember my previous posts. No dealer in nj was able to match Md. now if u don't want to md: 2 choices, u wait as u still have a car (believe me, unless u know the engine is melting as I type, u r good). There will be plenty of hondas for years to come. The 2013 will be a month older and they will start clearance around memorial day. Second option, drive to md but like Brian and I said: get the buyer's order signed w vin number breakdown of price.

Just something for u to think. I went to the dealership that claimed they would match the md price and wasted 3-4hrz of my time between talking to them and going to see tbe car that they didn't even had. But, decided to go to md and yes I drove more, but it was a sealed deal. Just went to pick it up. The reason of me picking up the car about a week later s too long. ButI was busy my wife had to use the car for her new job, then snow. But was happy to pick its up. Yes I wasted about 6-7hours between driving to get the rental pick up my car dropping the rental. But I didn't have to bother anyone. I love my car.

All I can say is that I posted everything about my experience buying the car to help u and others. I can't post the documents due to obvious security reasons, but the decision is yours and no biggie is u don't buy today. The car can only get cheaper...
    Thanks. the same salesman you dealt with emailed me the quote. It was by far my best deal and I am willing to drive there to get it and drive home the same day. But several dealers in NJ tell me its simply not true. They claim everyone
    pays the same amount for the car and why would a dealer lose money. I am just worrying that when I get there they are going to add additonal accessories, etc. Were they really honest in dealing with you? Also, my girlfriend now wants the dark blue instead of the silver which I know is a mistake, considering howlong she keeps cars...every scratch in the clearcoat is going to show up white and every ding will be more noticeable. And the dark blue was not in stock at the MD dealer, at least not as of 5 days ago. So I am likely to wait another month, try to talk her out of the dark blue, and at the end of April drive down to MD. And if the dealer does not give me the car for the promised amount, OK so I lost some time and gas $$ and will never drive a long distance for a car again. You mentioned memorial day before, do they really start giving better deals then since the 2014 Accord will not arrive till October?
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited March 2013
    mike....take your time. There's no need to buy today if you're feeling stressed. There will be deals to be made next week, the week after that, the week after that, etc.

As you can see, as people put up their deals, a dealer may show $xxx below invoice, but make it up with "dealer fees, doc fees, this fee, that fee". Then, what you don't know is the trade that was involved. It's easy to shift money away from the new car purchase and deduct it from your trade-in's worth.

In your GF's case, a 260K car isn't going to be worth much. And, it's probably going to be sent to auction. Forget the trade-in. Keep the Civic and put the word out you'll take $1K for it (assuming it's not wrecked). Jump on the first $500 offer for it.

If you know your region's license fee, and title transfer fee, you should be good to go with just adding those together and tax to your offer.

I think Honda is offering some finance deals, too. Look at those if you're going to finance. Matter of fact, if you're financing, get pre-qualified on Honda's WEB site. Let the dealer know your GF is pre-qualified and ready to buy.

Forget calling 10 to a dozen dealers. You're going to frustrate yourself even more. No dealer is going to give you their best price over the phone or via internet inquiry. I know of some dealers who will throw out an impossible number over the phone, knowing another dealer can't meet it, only to have you come to their store. When you get there, you find out that fees weren't included, or that the car they quoted you is now gone, etc.

Unless you're sitting in their dealership, there is no deal.

Make a trip to one or two dealers. Make them local so it's easy to travel from one to the other. Tell them what you're looking for. Tell them you're ready to buy. Also tell them you're shopping other dealers. They won't want you to leave their dealership. They'll ask you to make an offer.

Offer $1K under invoice, all inclusive except for tax, title license (know from your locale what those amounts are before waking in). They'll counter you. Whatever that counter is will be the delta between what you originally offered and what they hope you'll bring out the check book for. Thank them for their time, and leave. Most likely they'll ask what number would make a deal. Resist hanging around as you'll get even more stressed.

Leave. Talk it over with your GF. Go to another dealer. See if they have what you're looking for. Repeat above.

Now you know where you're at as far as the price of the car. From this point, you'll waste more in gas driving to different dealers to beat the last dealer's price. Plus, you'll frustrate yourself.

Go to the dealership you liked best. Make one offer (say, $250 under their last counter offer...have them throw in tint and/or winter mats, etc...to seal the deal).

I usually don't like buying that way. But, for you, this may be the best road.

Let us know how things go.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    This is so amusing for me to "watch".

After all of that information and work by others the trigger STILL doesn't get pulled??

I never lowballed a customer but I can see why some places will do this!
    I know.....interesting. Lowest price usually isn't the best deal. Too many hidden "gotchas"...wasting time and gas chasing a couple hundred dollars at some dealer 100 miles away, which may or probably won't materialize.

Just trying to help out here. Sister is looking for an Accord. So, just stopped by here and found some people looking for help. I threw in my 2 cents worth.

Thought you may be able to give some of these people some insight.
    Stick to your target prices and get as many dealerships involved today

Post your deals to help the other members

• mvperez4jesusmvperez4jesus Member Posts: 231
    Hey, I was in the exact same situation a month ago. Again I can't stress this enough and get the buyer's order and put a credit card deposit. My car was in stock. They don't add the extras in advance so, they may try to get u to get them but just tell them no extras.

Dealers were trying to convince me too and saying it was a joke. But some were honest and said to me that they couldn't beat the price and to go and get it. Bottom line this is the second car I buy w the help of this forum. I bought my 08 accord in nj for 4k off the sticker price and this one for 3k off. Market does play a factor as isellhonda said. I nj and this immediate area people are perhaps paying more right now. Also, if u still want to stay local. Email those dealers brian has been posting.

As for the 14 accord. Honda tends to release between August and sept. So do expect the car to be around at that time. If u aren't buying now, just sign up for these dealerships e-mail lists. They will send u better prices when they run specials.
    Oh, I try to give insight but it's all about PRICE it would seem.

Once, I was working the Seattle Auto Show and some guys from other stores in the area were talking about how they lowball people and downright lie to them to get them in the door. I was shocked and I let them know that.

The responses were...

" The heck with them, they bring this on themselves"

" Some get upset and some are so worn out at that point that they
    just cave in and buy"

Sorry, not my style nor the style of the store where I worked.
    edited March 2013
    Lead a horse to water etc, etc. Lots of components to a car deal, not just the alleged price quoted over the phone or internet. Also, look at the value of the ENTIRE deal.

Wish you guys luck. Use the experience/iinformation we've offered to help.
    I think you're "whistling in the dark" here but at least we tried.

I once got scolded by a HOST in one of these "prices" forums.

I had a done deal and the customer was about to pick up her new car when "someone" suggested to her that she look in these forums to see what others were paying.

I got an angry phone call..." You tried to rip me off!!"

She went on to tell me that someone else had bought the same car for something like 2000.00 less than we had agreed on. She had a good deal from me and I knew that that number was impossible.

So, I checked andd, sure enough, someone had posted a crazy price.

Picking my words carefully (or so I thought) I let that person know that they must have made a mistake.

I got a snippy response so I told him/her that our Sales Manager would be more than happy to write a check and send a transport truck to buy and pick up any others that they would sell at that price.

This incurred the irk of the HOST who wasn't a huge fan of me in the first place and I got a rather unpleasant email.

So, I stayed away. Now, I'm retired and no longer care!

Have fun guys...ask LOTS of questions if the price seems too low!
    edited March 2013
    dealership will go 1000 below for any model in stock
    contact........... Aileen.......... mention my name

New Rochelle is also willing to deal.

• howard18howard18 Member Posts: 53
    Just got my 2013 EX-L today, $27,251 OTD @ Houston, TX. Including floor mat and wheeler locks. Two Free Oil Changes too. Tax in Texas is 6.25%.

Maybe no the best deal but i think i got a good deal.
  • jmaxejmaxe Member Posts: 198
    Sounds nice. All that really matters is what you think.
    Dealer?
  • pickthedavidpickthedavid Member Posts: 8
    Hi Howard,

Can you please give me the break up of your prices? Thanks!
    Hey guys,

I need your help. Yesterday (March 30, almost the last day of the month), I went to buy a Honda Accord. My budget was around 25.5 K for an EX. After a lot of negotiating, they told me that they didnt have the color I wanted (red) and insisted I take the blue. I said I wasnt interested. They told me they would need to locate it and wouldnt start the process before Monday so I said if thats the case I am not going to give you a deposit before Monday.

Anyway, this is where the part comes where I need your help. They had the red in the EX-L and tried to sell me that one. After a lot of negotiating on the price, they gave their last offer of 25.2k + taxes and fees (around 28K out the door).

I had read a few posts here of people who got their EX-L 27k out the door including a few accessories. But because Chicago is so awesome in charging 9.5% sales tax, I figured I'd throw my last offer of 27.5k, the manager refused. So I said okay lets go with the EX then. The sales guy being motivated, threw me a final offer of 27.8k OTD. I said WTH okay lets do it. We started our paper work and the sales guy tells me that the manager is adamant on the 28K. I said but we already agreed and he said yeah but we have to get the final approval from the manager.

I told them I am sorry I cannot do this deal and walked away. Did the do the right thing in terms of price? Is 27.5K for an EX-L too less? Let me know. Thanks.

P.S. I still have my options open in terms of a red EX 25.5k OTD but the leather and heated seats did tempt me a little.
    I think you will have a difficult time getting an EX-L for that price. But you don't want one anyway. It sounds like this dealer is not being straight with you in any case. Is there another one close by you can compare? Check the inventory to make sure they have one you want. Don't be in a rush. Not everything has to happen today. And check out dealer reviews and their service department too. It's not just the selling price that matters.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    If they really walked you over a lousy 200.00, it sounds like you found the bottom of the barrel.

OTD offers are always tough since the dealer has no control over sales tax and license fees.

Also, holding out for ONE color will always weaken your position. Red is one of the least popular colors and finding one in your area may be tough.

It takes two minutes to pull a "locate" and I suspect they did that and couldn't find one availabel for trade.

You will always get a better deal on an in stock unit that they can deliver that day.
    The red is beautiful and the only real color. Everything else is a neutral. Even the blue looks black. I held out for one.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • jimmytulsajimmytulsa Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2013
    EX-L CVT no nav can absolutely be bought for a total of $25K or lower. Add TTL of your state to that price. And off you go.
  • jjvicks60jjvicks60 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2013
    Brian125
    Many thanks for your posting in this forum. I did follow your advice on buying. i have been reading this forum for 2 months and finally after selling my Arcadia took the plunge. I called some of your recommended dealerships. Your numbers were dead on. i used those numbers to make a great deal with Madison honda in New Jersey last night. i pick up my Accord Tuesday.

Happy Easter
  • cfreniacfrenia Member Posts: 6
    Happy Easter all - I have a 2011 CRV that I leased in December 2010, and currently have 9 payments left. I am looking to get in something a little more fuel efficient before the summer. I'm looking at the EX-L. My question is - if I go to the same dealership where I bought the CRV, how would an early trade in work? I only have about 20k miles on the CRV, so the KBB is roughly equal to or slightly higher than the payoff.

Would I be forced to roll the remaining payments into the new lease or would this reduce my bargaining power on the accord? I'm looking to be around $28k OTD with the accord and keep the payments roughly around $300.

TIA!
    edited March 2013
    Mike
    If you read this post in time. College park needs the sales numbers today they close at 6pm. Speak with Edwin dealer is willing to sell below the 1000 mark. there doc fee's are 199. they will fax a buyers order and hold with a credit card deposit til you pick up car next week. i just spoke with him he called me..

make a 1300 below invoice offer to buy

jj prior post ...good job enjoy your Accord

Happy Easter

• subbuvsubbuv Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    Thanks to all the advice and helpful suggestions on this forum I was able to close out on a 2013 Honda Accord ExL V6 with Navigation (Black on Black). Here is the beak down of the deal:

$28494.00 Sale Price (including the $790 Destination Charge)
    + $325.00 Rear deck lid spoiler
    +$1801.19 At 6.25% MA Sales Tax
    +$352.75 Documentation Fee
    +$125.00 Registration Fee
    $31097.94 Total "Out-The-Door" Price

The only annoyance being stuck in the dealership for 6 hours to go though the entire deal but I think I did alright overall (or did I!?) Hopefully this helps folks out their looking for a deal.

Happy Easter!!
  • contract_buildcontract_build Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2013
    Having successfully used the information from these forums for two prior leases (the first some seven years ago), and looking again to negotiate another lease, I naturally looked here to see a sample of prices from which I would derive my next lease offer...

On the one hand, I can confirm two specifics from my own experiences which have been echoed in reading posts from the last two months or so:

(1) You may find that ONE dealer in a highly competitive region that offers a price that "no one else will touch" which DOES turn out to be true, and (2) in a less competitive region, there is practically no dealer deviation and - unless one wants to travel a ways (must weigh the time cost/benefit ratio) - you'll receive a decent deal but it won't break any Guinness records.

On the other hand, I understand several posters who are in disbelief of some of the figures bandied about (causing a few to express angst and/or spend countless hours trying to chase down a few hundred never-to-materialize dollars in their resident region).

While Edmunds itself does not provide a facility for direct upload, in this day and age of free image hosting - with sites like tinypic or imageshack - there is no excuse for posters failing to support their claims with a quickly cropped scan of their paperwork: MUCH more helpful than a simple sentence with claims of this or that price OTD... let's SEE these deals ;)

An example is below:

(since the full jpg cannot be properly sized through this forum, the direct link is here at www.ridewithg.com)

Nonetheless, it's my feeling that no one who applies what they've learned in these many forums will receive a "bad" deal... the question is, "Can you be satisfied with a price that isn't a supposed record-breaker?"

Good luck to all with your many efforts (and thanks in advance to those who post links to scans of their documentation!)
  • zigster38zigster38 Member Posts: 117
    A lot of the price discrepancy can be region-based. If you are in SoCal or NorCal, with a car culture and lots of dealerships, 1k under invoice can be beaten. Truecar and Weymouth as well can be beaten. If you are stuck out in Missouri with one dealership within 100 miles, you are going to pay more.

Given that, the Accord is a very nice car and a great one to drive a really, really great deal on.
    edited March 2013
    Thanks, Brian. But most of these 1000 less than invoice deals are simply BS. I called the dealer, he said invoice was 21413, OK close enuf, really 21369. He said he would sell it for 20413, but would have to add 790 dest. What, the invoice of 21369 already includes dest. Then he said there was '995.00' in extras ( mud flaps, wheel locks, etc.) that he CLAIMED he was giving me free. SO he said 22000 OTD which included approx 1400 NJ tax and 211 reg fee. OK, then without those two items, about 20400 actual selling price for the car.
    Well, not too bad but believe me he was going to charge me for the 'extras' when I got down there, a signed buyer order or no signed buyer order. I went to two NJ dealers yesterday but probably need three pages to explain, but will try to be concise in my next post. Bottom line, you WILL be charged for extras
    (accessories) that are not in the internet email quote when you get to the dealer. And the 'accessories' wil be at unrealistic prices. Also, the internet prices are NON NEGOTIABLE, unless you can 'walk on water'. The dealers told me this the price, take it or leave it, we are not going to take off already installed accessories, etc. I am beginning to think its easier to walk?
  • thomasr1950thomasr1950 Member Posts: 76
    Find another dealer with what you want. Don't pay doc. fees or for anything on the car you don't want. They have a right to make a profit but not screw you. I'd feel better going to a dealer that sold you what you wanted at a reasonable price.
    mike
    Do you want me to help you buy this accord?????????????

post me model, color, any options you want in this car and what price is aceptable to you. i will help you buy this car in your area.

Do you have finance in place/ how is your credit
    you can not trade in a vehicle if i help you
    what is the nearest towns in N.J. your by
    are you willing to come to new york to buy

leave me a email i will end your car buying misery

Hi Brian,

I have been going through all your posts about getting the best price for an Honda Accord EX and an EX L (4 cyl) and didnt quite understand when you put in the numbers 700 for hillside, 650 for yonkers etc.

Can you please help me on what the best price would be to pay for both the Accord EX and EL-L. Much appreciated.

Thanks a ton!

David
    No trade. I am paying cash. Cant stand car loans, keep my cars until they drop dead, in the case of the Civic it seems to have nine lives.
  • howard18howard18 Member Posts: 53
    Here is what I got:

$25,293.40 including dest.

Tax:1580.64 (6.25%)

Doc Fee: $189

Title, inspection and Misc: $187.96
    These numbers seem very suspicious for a vehicle that is selling extremely well nationwide. Mike, just do your best and don't worry about these people baiting you.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited March 2013
    David,
    The window of opportunity has bascially closed for nailing down the very best price for this month. That being said the prices I posted are how much each dealership was willing to sell me on Feb 28. Below the dealers invoice price on the last two days last day of Feb.

What is the best price you ask? I dont know for your models. The way I find out what the market price is for my buying model is call as many dealerships on the last days of any month and try to make the best deal closest to my house. As you have been reading I play dirty just like these slime ball dealerships do. I pit one dealer against the next. I play there game. Maybe it's just me... Other than that, within no time you will have your answer if you email and call dealerships for pricing. The more dealerships you get involved in the better you will do. Read through prior post to get a idea on pricing.

This is always a good starting point on pricing to buy any vehicle.
    you take:

Vehicle invoice price plus dest /charge.
    Minus dealerhold-back.
    Minus rebates and any incentives. There are none right now.
    Minus dealerships doc fees. Especially the high ones.
    This is my starting offer price to buy by phone at that moment I'm calling.
    As you get deeper into the year most models are discounted more so your asking price would be lower.
    There are buyers taking the dealer hold back and going into the doc fees.

• steverajsteveraj Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2013
    Is 28,500 is the OTD price? please confirm
    I didn't mean to imply that red is a "bad" color. Color is a subjective thing. What one person loves another person can't stand.

Red may be beautiful in your opinion but in terms of "what sells" it is far down the list. Small stores may not even order any for that reason.

I understand holding our for the color you want but I was only trying tto say that you might not get the best deal that way especially when the stores know you have your heels dug in.

Also, if you are shopping between stores, if a store you have shopped happens to have a red one in stock, there is no way they will cut their own throad by letting another store have it.

I can't tell you how many times we wrote DO NOT DEALER TRADE in the stockbook.
    Mike
    Call or visit most of those dealerships I posted with pricing..
    At WORST case you will get the same price numbers i posted for end of Feb.
    you are now into April and every month you will see pricing get better.

edited March 2013
    Mike....AS isellhondas says, if you were walked over $200, you found the minimum the car would be sold for...in stock units are easier to deal on than units a dealer must trade for. I happen to like red, but silver and black are the colors the dealers seem to order more of.

Mike....you've hit the nail on the head. As we've said, lots of fiction in the deals posted here.

Anyway, take your time. Look around and don't be afraid to pull the trigger if you find what you and your girlfriend want.

Good luck!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Posts about other members, rather than prices paid, have been deleted...

Stay on topic, please...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• contract_buildcontract_build Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for tidying things up, kyfdx... it was starting to look like the Wild West here with some posters thinking they were writing in their own blog.

And thanks for the emphasis of "Stay(ing) on topic" as readers are not coming to this forum to read about how the Elantra drives... or Garmin GPS's... or what tires/wheels fit, et. al. There are other venues for that.

Have a great morn' kyfdx!
    Sister has shifted her focus to an Infiniti G37x (which really is really heavily discounted right now).

So, best of luck to you during your shopping.

kyfdx....curious as to where your wife got her Infiniti?
  • puffinalongpuffinalong Member Posts: 32
    What's the stockbook, or dealer trade mean ?
    I traded at the dealer for a car on the lot.I thought that was better than him getting me a car 100 miles away. ty
    Well, a dealer trade is a car that a store has to get from another store.

A stock book is a listing of inventory on hand.

Dealer trades are a pain. Things can and do happen. The store has to pay a driver to fetch the car. The car may have unwanted accessories already installed. Rock chips and broken windshields can occur in transit.

In some miserable markets like So. Calif, stores refuse to trade with one another. They have to sell what they have in stock!
  • member15member15 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    We bought a Hematite green 2013 Accord LX CVT in the Memphis metro for $20900 on Wednesday of last week. They waived the doc fee since I bought mud guards. I took advantage of the 1.9% financing for 60 months, but I probably could have a done a little better on that if I wanted to with a credit union.

Filled up on Easter sunday and calculated almost 38 mpg, which is far beyond what I expected - especially for a new car. We are very pleased with the car, and hope to keep it around for at least 7 or 8 years.

The Accord was the obvious choice after test driving an LX, an Altima SV, Camry SE, Malibu LT2, and Sonata SE. I didn't think I'd like the Malibu and Sonata as much as I did although the Malibu was too small for the price. The Camry and Altima were kind of dissapointing to us. Not sure what Nissan was thinking with that seat material.

Overall, I think I got an okay deal on the Accord- we really wanted a back up camera. I probably could have gotten better if I played the game a little more. They overpaid for my trade so I thought I'd go for it.
    I thought I was taking my chances by not buying at the end of March. Why would the prices get better as we are entering better weather in the Northeast and there will be more people buying? I mean, the 2014 models are still months away.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Right up there in your neighborhood..

You want to take over my lease? ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• huskerfan5huskerfan5 Member Posts: 165
    Mike, so what you are saying is that March 31 is the best day to buy a car in the Northeast because prices should go up in April. Well, if that is the case, then everyone would buy their car on March 31 to avoid the April price increase and by now I think we would have read somewhere that Mar 31 is the day to buy a car. The fact is, one can only guess what pricing will be. Since the Accord was redesigned for 2013, prices were artificially high at introduction and it was expected they would come down over time so that is a plus in terms of potential lower pricing. However, there are lots of potential factors that will impact pricing. Stock market performance, trend in new unemployment claims, consumer confidence, disruptions in parts supplies, and especially Honda's response to new promotions from it's rivals. Yes, the weather too can impact pricing, but did you think what would happen if we had a rainy April? People would be less apt to go out and test drive a car and that would result in lower demand.