Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    kyfdx....I'll ask her. She's not a lease kind of person, but I'll see what she says.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    I was just kidding. A G37X is a lot of car for the lease dollar, but not such a great value proposition if you are buying it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• iwannagr8leaseiwannagr8lease Member Posts: 42
    Instead of same "how to" repeated over over over its better to see prices paid and a good looking format where its easy to see what people mean.

Just posted in "Real-World Trade-In Values" forum and was recommended to use forum template! No skin off of my back.

No sweat. Used the template. Cool. Fast reply and it makes sense. Easy to understand.

Great idea to have something like this in this and the Accord leasing forum.
  • scooter827scooter827 Member Posts: 6
    This is going to be my third accord in a row. I live in the the MA area and was really looking into an SUV but the mileage sucks on most of them and the compact ones were either uncomfortable or the back seat was small. My wife told me to get what I wanted and some how I went back to the accord for the 3rd consecutive time. Is there a problem with that? Did I just settle? Anyways here is what I paid...

25,500 including destination + TTL. Comes with a couple of oil changes and 7 year 100,00 power train. They gave me 7500 for more trade which was a 2007 accord EX 5 speed 98K involved in an accident with some body damage that they missed on the front bumper. Pick it up today...black on black.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Great price on a great car! Unless you need awd, an Accord is better in a lot of ways than pretty much any SUV imho....
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    edited April 2013
    Not a bad idea on the template. Problem there, people who lease usually have been leasing for a good long while and just turn in their expired lease car for another one.

On a purchase, as we've seen, a trade-in affects the price paid, dealer add-ons, fees, document prep charges, geographic locale, even credit scores can affect the price.

So, to see that someone paid $XXXX under invoice, or $XXXXX for the car has to include some caveats....what they received for their trade, fees, geographic locale, etc.

Still, a template would help.

I'll throw the first volley..

-Year, Make, Model
    -Options
    -Dealer city/state
    -MSRP (incl destination)
    -Invoice (incl destination)
    -Purchase Price
    -Downpayment
    -Trade allowance (year, make model, mileage, options, condition of the trade)
    -TTL
    -Dealer fees (what and how much)
    -Doc fees

There's a start. Add, subtract, change whatever you want. It won't hurt my feelings.
    kyfdx...thanks for the info on leasing the G. My sister likes to "purchase".

Anyway, she's now onto Buick Regal. Apparently she likes how they look.

I'm sure they are nice cars. As I told her, I can't help her unless she settles on what car she wants...... :confuse: :sick:
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    "The gearbox also offers some resistance if you try to put it in 1st at speeds higher than 20 mph, which I used to do on approach to something like a stop sign (clutch down, of course). This is probably a safety feature/quirk, but interesting nevertheless. "

The resistance you feel is the pain that you are causing the transmission's synchros. You should Never put it into first gear at more than 10 mph if you just push the clutch and move the stick into first, as you are relying on the syncro to do the work. If you double-clutched it properly, then maybe, but it is best to just not until you are below 10 mph.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Good advice!

Just because you CAN shift into first at 20 MPH doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Doing this is VERY hard on the synchros!

Saw a black Sport today...WOW, what a great looking car!!
  • leosikleosik Member Posts: 11
    Do not mind me asking which dealership did you get it from.
  • ziggy25aziggy25a Member Posts: 24
    edited April 2013
    This is a good example of how price alone can be misleading. They were able to give you such a good price by giving you less than the trade in was worth. Using Kelly Blue book, your trade in, using the worst condition, fair, is 7100 while the second to worst condition, good, is 8500. For excellent, 9250. If they missed the front bumper damage, yet gave you 7500, then they gave you several hundred to a thousand less than the car was worth. Easy then to sell you the one for 25,500
    I tried selling the car outright but I was getting offered 6500-7. I went to carmax and they offered me 7. The dealer gave me 7500 which I thought was fair. The brakes were going and I would say a good 2-3K would have to be put into the car to get it into very good condition. The car fax showed that it was involved in an accident and the market for 5 speed manual just isnt there. Maybe they did see the bumper, I have no idea. KBB is also very inflated. I would have loved to get more for the trade but it was simply not there. The 25500 for the accord has been prenegotiated for weeks working through this forum and numerous dealers.
  • audax88audax88 Member Posts: 3
    I got a similar deal too for a 2013 Honda Accord LX CVT.
    Sale Price(inc dest): $20,830
    Taxes,tags,proc fee: $1150 (VA state)
    Final OTD: 21,980
    Got splash guards, mats,door edge guards and wheel locks too.

I was particular about the color of the car(black w ivory).
    Had a silver w/ gray for around $400 lesser.

Is this a good deal?Somehow feel like I paid more.. :(
    -Year, Make, Model - Honda Accord 2013
    -Options -wheel locks,splash guards, floor mats,edge guards
    -Dealer city/state - Herndon, VA
    -MSRP (incl destination) - $23,270
    -Invoice (incl destination) - $21,386
    -Purchase Price(inc dest) - $20,800
    -Downpayment -$6000
    -Trade allowance (year, make model, mileage, options, condition of the trade) - N/A
    -TTL - $730
    -Dealer fees (what and how much) -proc fee- $394
    Audax....good deal. Glad you liked the format.
  • miteshonlmiteshonl Member Posts: 12
    Hi I am going to buy preowned cerified car. Which bank can give me better APR? My credit history is very good (>740) but i never had any loan yet. I know DCU is one of them providing better APR. Any other suggestion?
    I feel you did well with the extras/options and the sale price of 20800, and keeping the dealer fees under 400.

Thanks for the easily understood presentation and enjoy the car :)
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for the support on the template graphicguy :)

"Not a bad idea on the template. Problem there, people who lease usually have been leasing for a good long while and just turn in their expired lease car for another one.

On a purchase, as we've seen, a trade-in affects the price paid, dealer add-ons, fees, document prep charges, geographic locale, even credit scores can affect the price."

The same are ALL factors for a lease and I want to receive the lowest selling price before I even get into any other leasing numbers. In our case we're learning that we may have up to 1500 allowance in trading in a way under-mileage lease on the new one and we'll be using that in getting the best "selling price" for the new car in the lease figures.

"So, to see that someone paid $XXXX under invoice, or $XXXXX for the car has to include some caveats....what they received for their trade, fees, geographic locale, etc. "

Exactly.!!!! Without this information selling prices (or under invoice numbers) are just gobbledeegook. Look what great information we all just received from audax88's post in following your suggested outline: 20800 (doable because we learned there was 6000 cash and no trade).

What if a 19800 price was posted as a sales price knowing about a 1000 trade credit? Not going to waste aggravating weeks trying to match that price knowing the dealer made money on the "back-end" with the effective price being MSRP or even more.

Simple and effective. Adding any financing through the dealer and the %charge adds another layer of valuable info (high interest negating lower pricing).

Without these kind of breakdowns, OTD's and 'how did I do?' (most of the posts in this forum) are just a waste of space.

Thanks again for the template.
  • nspattnspatt Member Posts: 16
    What is the extent of damage in dollars that your accident got on to carfax ? I was in a similar situation with my Camry where the damage was over 10K. After fully fixing the car, Carmax offered me 9000.00 and I took it to used car dealers in my area and I could get 10,000-00 from one and 11,000-00 from another without any negotiation. I traded my car to get a new Camry but carmax is the shittiest out there to sell your car.
  • nspattnspatt Member Posts: 16
    PENFED ?
    You've had the Accord a day or so already, right?

Much thanx for a breakdown on the numbers you got from Madison Honda and if you can a scan of the paperwork like suggested in message #29198. Thanx.
    I shopped around everywhere including multiple dealers of different brands and 7500 is where the car topped out.
    Thanks!
    This was my very first car purchase. I didn have a lot of idea on how to negotiate and which resources to quote and use.
    The car I got had run for just 2 miles, and was fresh in the inventory, so found it extremely hard to negotiate.
    Also, I got the car on 30th of March. It a common misconception that the end of month will get u better deals. They generally do, BUT only if the dealer has not already met his targets.
    I think a great deal will be an OTD of $21,500 on the Accord LX in VA.
  • mr_numbmr_numb Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the advice; it was a bad habit I very quickly got out of with this new car (with my older VW it didn't seem to be a problem though).

Any other useful manual tips?
    Well, don't ride the clutch and if you avoid constant downshifting your clutch and transmission will last the life of the car.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited April 2013
    Seems like Accord sales died down this month in here. waiting to see the 1st quarter sales reports for honda on Accord, and CRV. For Jan 2013 Accord sales were up 13 k from last year. I hope they take the top spot away from Camry this year in sales.. Maybe they should sell more Accords to the rental companies..

My Nissan dealership friend claims they are kicking honda's butt in sales this years. i do see alot of Altima's on the road...

i still have not seen many Accords on the roads here in NYC.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• huskerfan5huskerfan5 Member Posts: 165
    March was a great month for the Accord. The Jan sales that I saw appear to be somewhat different from yours. I noted an increase of 10K, but more important, March sales were up over 50% from Jan while the Camry's were up by less than 20%. For the month, Camry only outsold the Accord by 1K.
    Toyota sold 5K less Camry's in Mar-13 vs Mar-12 while Honda was up by 10K.
    the jan 2013 numbers were more like 12.3 k up.... if i remember correctly. the surprise here is that Camry is still holding on if your numbers are legit.

Don't slip the bejesus out of the clutch like a lot of people do.
    here is the breakdown from........... the fast lane car.com
    Dont know how true these numbers are.

Altima................37,763 for march
    Camry...............37,663........mar
    Accord...............36,504........mar
    fusion................30,284........mar

looks like a nice little race here

• fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    Those numbers are true. For the year, Accord is only 12K units behind Camry. If i was a betting man, i would say the Accord will be the best selling car this year...
    agreed

Toyota sells HUGE amounts of cars to the rental companies and Honda doens't do this.

Eighteen months later, all of those Toyotas are dumped en masse at the auctions. This hurts resale values.
  • huskerfan5huskerfan5 Member Posts: 165
    Brian,
    Notice that I said our numbers somewhat disagreed. I didn't say you were wrong. I don't know whether my source www.goodcarbadcar.net is accurate or yours is closer, but I don't appreciate your implication that my numbers weren't legit.
    edited April 2013
    Huskerfan
    I thought my numbers were wrong. Some web sites you can never tell what numbers are more legit than others.

hope your feeling the love

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    For the reason isell says, Toyota's huge sales to rental fleets, the Accord—even though it's a much better car—isn't that likely to pass the Camry this year in sales.

Honda's Marysville, OH, factory, even flat out (which is how it's running now), has the capacity to make about 400,000 Accords for the US. That would be a great sales number, and is probably good for 2nd in sales. But Toyota has the capacity to make 500,000 Camrys. They probably can't sell that many, even if they give them away, but by giving them away they can probably get to 450,000 to stay number 1.

We Honda owners can take comfort that our car really is waaaay better than a Camry. I just had a 2013 Camry rental on a recent trip, and I can tell you I wouldn't want to own that car.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    edited April 2013
    I thought Honda had another facility that was almost up and running for this year.
    I think the newest plant is in Indiana dont think there making Accords there

• uncuncuncunc Member Posts: 1
    Hey folks, I’m late with the posting of my purchase, which occurred last Saturday. I read the forums here often, but I just now signed up for an account. Thanks for all the input from everyone. I purchased a 2013 EX-L w/Navi from Jim Coleman in Clarksville, MD for 28,986 OTD. 26,880 agreed priced, plus 200 processing fee, and TTL (Md 6 percent state tax). Also got wheel locks, and mud guards thrown in(with mats). No trade or anything else were involved. Modern Steel color with 3 miles before test driving. One free oil change included.

Wasn’t planning on getting the car that weekend at all, just played around and submitted a Carwoo request on Saturday March 30th around 11:30 that morning. Wanted to see the types of prices via that format on the last day the month (Easter was Sunday). Only got 3 responses that day, but got one immediately from Michelle the internet manager from Coleman (it was for 27,433 including Freight). I countered 26,780, she replied back with 27,233. By this time I got two other offers from MD dealerships that were high. In the meantime I called about 8 more dealers in Maryland who quoted prices that weren’t significant as well. So I called Michelle from Coleman, she asked me to come down. I told her I probably would, but that we weren’t done with negotiating. She was fine with that.

I didn’t get there until about 7:15 , Michelle had left for the day (dealership closed at 9). They assigned me salesperson name Muhammad. Basically told him I will test drive the car, and either we can agree or disagree on a price, but it was going to be a quick process. Of course he tried to act like he didn’t know what the internet manager offered and etc., though he brought the correct car with vin, without a description from me. After testing driving he tried to add the wheel locks and mud guards to the internet manager’s price, I refused. Then he said her offer 27,233 was their best and final price with the accessories. I told him if we agree at 26,880 including freight, and OTD of under 29,000, I will buy right then, if not I’m leaving. He came back and we agreed.

So basically, no snazzy negotiating or anything, I luckily just found a dealership that needed to move that car and volume I guess. I got there late (not by design, but I wasn’t in a hurry to get there), was a race against time, being it was end of the month. Dealer wasn’t crowded when I got there, so who knows. Price part took all of 10-15 minutes, tops. Spent way more time declining all the extra stuff they tried to upsell. Don’t particularly care for the dealership with how the finance and warranty managers try to talk to you when you decline the extras. But with the EX-L w/Nav invoice being 28,223 including freight, and I got it for 26,880 including freight, 1,343 under invoice with a 200 dollar processing fee is not bad.

If you have any questions late me know. This is a real post, and if more information is needed I am happy to help.
  • sw3267sw3267 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2013
    Thank you so much Kyfdx. Newbie's like me trying to do our homework for the passed few months seeing what others have "Paid and their Buying experineced" to determind our price target seems to have been turned in to just another "general car BS blog".

I like the Idea one of the other guest had which was have a format.

Year,Make,Model

MSRP: Price

Invoice: Price

etc:

etc.

You get the Idea.
  • sw3267sw3267 Member Posts: 3
    Yes! Great Idea! A Template. This would be much more helpful to people like myself looking on Edmunds fourms to get an idea of a price target on the car they are planning to purchase. :)
  • happypilot1happypilot1 Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2013
    Sorry to hear you're having a problem with this. Been round in some customer cars ever since Honda's VCM was introduced, and seems to span all VCM models though not all production units - if you check out model-dedicated forums on the web outside of Edmunds you'll probly learn more about it. We found similar problems a ways back reading HondaPilot.org (now called Piloteers.org as the big company got nasty with the forum owners about Trademark issues)

In our case it happened in our VCM/FWD drive Pilot after 60k. Motor mounts (referred to as "active") were replaced. Also there was an ANC (Active Noise Cancelling) feature for the audio system that was replaced at the same time. After that the car was golden.........

Maybe these "active" mounts are bad in yours from the get-go? Wouldn't be the first time a product rolls off the assembly line with some defect!

Urge you to check out some of the Accord dedicated forums and good luck with this.
    In case you missed it...

-Year, Make, Model
    -Options
    -Dealer city/state
    -MSRP (incl destination)
    -Purchase Price
    -Downpayment
    -TTL
    -Doc fees
  • soupy95soupy95 Member Posts: 10
    Doc fees were a little high, but seemed like decent pricing at approx. $1000 below invoice. In reading through this forum I did not see any activity much more than this below invoice. Negotiation was fairly easy to get to this price, leading me to believe Honda may have sweetened incentives to dealers for April and that I may have left money on the table.

-Year, Make, Model 2013 Honda Accord
    -Options EX-L V6
    -Dealer city/state Madison, NJ
    -MSRP (incl destination) 30,860
    -Invoice (incl destination) 28,292
    -Purchase Price 27,300
    -Downpayment 14,000
    -Trade allowance (year, make model, mileage, options, condition of the trade) 0
    -TTL 1911 NJ sales tax, 301 title, plates and registration
    -Dealer fees (what and how much) 0
    -Doc fees289
  • pickthedavidpickthedavid Member Posts: 8
    Hey guys,

I finally bought the EX-L today. Thanks everyone for their inputs and messages. Helps newbies like us so much. Anyway here are my details

-Year, Make, Model - 2013 Honda Accord EX-L
    -Options - Splash guards
    -Dealer city/state - Continental Honda, Countryside, IL (Nick Hanna was my salesman)
    -MSRP (incl destination)
    -Invoice (incl destination) - $25,100
    -OTD - $27,900
  • venkatpvenkatp Member Posts: 10
    I am shopping for 2013 Honda Accord EX-L CVT Sedan. I got an offer from Honda Dealer in Tysons Corner, VA for 26991/- OTD ( including taxes, tags.. and whatever dealer fee ).

Is this a good deal?

Bodystyle - 4 door Sedan
    Drivetrain - FWD
    Engine - 2.4L I-4 cyl
    Transmission - Continuously Variable
    Ext. Color - White Orchid Pearl
    Int. Color - Ivory

Do you think it's good to add extra warranty or can i skip it? This is the first time i am buying a new car ( so far i had used only used cars ).

Thanks for your help..
    Venkat
  • soupy95soupy95 Member Posts: 10
    Hard to tell whether this is a good deal or not. You may want to provide the information in a template form as other forum posters have suggested. Quoting an OTD price adds little information since state taxess and registration fees vary throughout the country.

-Year, Make, Model
    -Options
    -Dealer city/state
    -MSRP (incl destination)
    -Purchase Price
    -Downpayment
    -TTL
    -Doc fees

Opinions may vary on extended warranty. I personally have never purchased one and have not regretted it. Purchasing the extended warranty as a dealer add-on is at least 50% pure profit for the dealaership from what I have heard. It may be more cost-effective to price out extended warranty after the fact if it is coverage you would like to have.
    Huge amounts? What %? I think historically, I recall Toyota fleet sales has been around 8-11% of total sales. Honda, 3-5%. I'd be nice to see a link showing this for the past 2 years.

Good to see the competition heat up in midsize cars, as it is good for everyone and all the manufacturers!
  • contract_buildcontract_build Member Posts: 26
    Invoice (incl destination) 28,292 - Purchase Price 27,300 + Doc fees 289 = 703 below invoice (solid deal soupy95)

You had a bunch of downpayment too so it looks like there wasn't going to be a lot made on the financing which makes that -703 even better.

I like the format you posted the details in (good way to know the dealer too)

|As an aside| Went on through to their site and they've got one heck of a lease: $149/12k/36 on the LX Sedan. Now where's that fine print.... oh, there it is.

Requires only $3499 down/inception! That's the highest I've seen for an LX and the fact that they're not embarrassed advertising something like that just goes to show how little people know about a lease (and why people who use information from this forum can sometimes get a break)

I might ask them for the numbers for the spreadsheet just for fun.
  • pickthedavidpickthedavid Member Posts: 8
    I think 27k OTD is a good price. I personally skipped the extra warranty. You can always add them later on. Dealers try to incentivize you to buy it with your car but I believe its okay to skip it.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    There are a number of dealers who sell hondacare on line at very good prices. Just keep in mind the pricing goes up if your vehicle has more than 6000 miles on it and you can only purchase hondacare if you are still under the vehicle's standard warranty of 36 month/36,000 miles.

Bill G
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic