Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• venkatpvenkatp Member Posts: 10
    -Year, Make, Model ( 2013, Honda Accord EX-L 2.4L I-4 cyl )
    -Options ( None )
    -Dealer city/state ( Vienna, VA )
    -MSRP (incl destination) ( $28785 )
    -Invoice (incl destination) ( $25700 )
    -Purchase Price ( Not closed the deal yet )
    -Downpayment ( ------ )
    -Trade allowance (year, make model, mileage, options, condition of the trade) ( None )
    -TTL
    -Dealer fees (what and how much)
    -Doc fees

TTL + other dealer fee = ( 1291 )

Total Out door price = 26,991 $
  • sw3267sw3267 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you!
  • miteshonlmiteshonl Member Posts: 12
    After a long wait and all the research , I end up with buying Certified Acura TSX 2010. I know few of you may confuse with New accord or used Acura so i am just giving detail here to help some of you.

Year, Make, Model: 2010 Acura TSX certified with one owner and clear history
    miles: 22000
    -Purchase Price 21700
    -Downpayment 0
    -TTL - 1356
    -Dealer fees (what and how much) 0
    -Doc fees 399
    Add on: wheel locks, and mud guards thrown in(with mats)
    Apr: 1.99 % with DCU bank for whole amount 65 months (-Down payment 0)

Total OTD: 23580

Thanks guys and keep posting your purchase.
  • carguy778carguy778 Member Posts: 33
    So you are saying we should not give the down payment on the LX lease. Is there a way to bring it down???
    I am most likely closing the deal tomorrow for 2013 Honda Accord EX-L . So fare I could bring him down to $26,200/- ( 24,800 invoice + 850 tax + 50 tags + 500 doc fee ). Doc fee seems high. He said this price doesn't include wheels locks + splash guards + door edge guards + not sure what other stuff already on this vehicle. He calls it appearance package. My aim would be to include these as part of 26,200.

Please message, if you already have an idea of what extras we should ask during closing the deal.

Thanks,
    Venkat
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I have a general question. Edmunds shows the invoice price for the 2013 Accord EX-L without nav to be 26,399. But I see other posters saying they have a lower invoice price. Does that mean Edmunds isn't a good guide to invoice price?
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    I feel the invoice prices posted on most of the sites managed by auto lobby :). They are not here to lose business. Do you think all these sites not paid by these auto companies to help them in sales !!!
  • newbee007newbee007 Member Posts: 7
    I received a quote for EXL V6 and would love some input.

MSRP: 30860
    selling price $26200 + $790 Destination
    Doc fees $200
    plate transfer 47
    MI tax 6%
    OTD price $28, 898

This was their offer without any negotiations, how much room is their for some more discounts.

thanks for any input
    1. They can remove destination without much negotiation. That should bring down to 28000/-
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    How could they remove the destination fee?

They have to pay it on every car. They simply pass it on to the buyers.
    I dont think destination is negotiable,

selling price on the other hand should be.

thank you for the response.
  • miteshonlmiteshonl Member Posts: 12
    If you have good history (credit > 670) than DCU and other bank does not ask for downpayment same as my case but they do have some conditions like i have to do direct deposit with them to bring this apr from 2.49% to 1.99%.

But still 2.49% was without any downpayment..
  • nspattnspatt Member Posts: 16
    Destination fee is part of invoice. If they charging you destination fee , then they charging it twice.
    Google on "Earl Stewart on destination fee". Earl stewart toyota is a dealer in Palm beach,FLorida and his blog post mentions invoice includes destination fee.
    Its also illegal to charge one but the dealers do it all the time.
    I guess then that you got a fair price for your car. You did your home work and the used car market varies by location I suppose. I am in South FLorida and this is a place that is located for easy transport to Bahamas, caribbean and south American countries and the value of even crashed cars are not bad. Its good that carmax valuations are inline with the rest of the market in MA.
  • ziggy25aziggy25a Member Posts: 24
    suydam, Invoice price is one of the terms dealerships use to confuse and mislead buyers. Ask anyone on the street what the concept of invoice price means and they will tell you "the dealer cost of the car".

The truth is that is not the case, the invoice price is just a number and does NOT reflect the dealer cost for the car. Dealers make profit selling even under the invoice price. The idea is the dealer WANTS you to think $200 over invoice means he is only making $200 on the deal.

This is just another example of the slime of the industry and how it is all a game with an object of misleading the consumer.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    True, but I thought websites like Edmunds are supposed to give you a truer idea of what the invoice is. Not so? Then maybe it is worth it to pay for the data from Consumer Reports.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited April 2013
    You have been given bad information.

I only sold Hondas for 13.5 years and I can tell you that the Destination Fee is a seperate line item on the stickers.

Do you think that the trucking companies deliver the cars for free?

No, the dealers pay this and simply pass it on to the buyers.

Now, they COULD simply add the destination fee into the MSRP but they don't.

And it is certainly not "illegal" to charge a destination fee. Where did you ever come up with that one?

Never heard of Earl Stewart.
  • varun3varun3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Venkat,

Can you please share which state are you in and which dealer. The lowest quote I got was $ 28,000 OTD in IL.

I am looking for the same vehicle
    I am in VA. I haven't purchased the vehicle. The price I got 26200 ( OTD ) with out any extra options installed.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    edited April 2013
    Folks - I've been buying and leasing cars for about 45 years - like Isell states, destination is a charge you will find on any new vehicle sticker and is a number that can't be changed. When you get quotes, just ask the dealer to make sure the quote includes destination - that way there's no surprises later about the pricing you were quoted. Don't know where and how some of you are getting your info, but you are making this waaaay too hard on yourselves.

Bill G
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • rocklirockli Member Posts: 11
    Hi seanh2o,

That's a great price! Is it a manual one or CVT? Thank you
    Yeah right.
    You sell cars and can say anything. As I said google "Earl Stewart " and you will see that he owns a dealership in Palm Beach county of Florida.

Do you also go to the extent of saying that invoice is what the dealer pays ?

Earl Stewart mentions he testified before Florida senate about all the illegal practices that dealers do. Just because you never heard of someone doesn't make what you say true.
    The info I got is from Earl Stewart who owns a toyota dealership. He has a blog, has a radio show ,wrote a book etc. etc. etc. Check his blog post at
    http://oncars.blogspot.com/2010/03/dealer-fee-fraud-hotline.html

I was trying to clarify from a source that seems authentic that destination is part of invoice. The stiker can be made to say anything like $ 500-00 for a pinstripe if someone is willing to pay, same goes with destination. In South Florida they have dealer fee which is pure profit to dealers.
    Whenever you buy, the buyer's order will not have a destination charges as a separate line item because they cannot charge it as such.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited April 2013
    Hey newbee

Earl is a good man... Read everything he writes you will learn some tricks of the car buying trade and how to negotiate. The Internet does many things when buying a new vehicle..

The Internet is a key factor to finding the market value in your area and nailing down the best possible price .
    Weeding out all the slim ball dealerships.
    Finding the dealerships that sells cars.. And dont play games!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Removing the salesman from the equation.
    Saves hours upon hours of your time that most likely is wasted sitting in the dealerships..

Car buying is not as hard as it seems. You have to play the Game.. Once you learn how and when to buy its all down hill from there..

Dest/ charge is a separate fee for delivery of that vehicle.. All Consumers pay this charge.

Dest/ charge is not part of the invoice price..

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    Destination fee is on the sticker. it's on the dealer's invoice.

Does the consumer pay it? Not directly.. The consumer pays the dealer a negotiated price. The consumer doesn't pay for destination, any more than he pays for the bumpers or tires. It's all in the price you pay for the car.

When you see a dealer split it out, or even mention it in negotiations, it's just a ploy to distract you from the actual price of the vehicle.

If you focus on it, you are playing in to the dealer's hands..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

My post was not specifically directed to you, but my point is that when you solicit your quotes, specify that the destination charge be included in the quote. That way, any dealers trying to play games with any part of the pricing will be exposed and you can eliminate them from contending for your business. Also, the sticker I was referring to is the one provided by the manufacturer when the vehicle ships (I believe it is required by law). I tend to avoid buying vehicles that have a sticker that is added by the dealer after they have received the car (unless it has an item I want at an acceptable price). In all my years of buying cars, I have never seen a dealer add on a destination fee in addition to the standard one that appears on the factory provided sticker.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Been buying new cars for 2 decades+. Gave that Stewart link a look. He never mentions anything about destination charges, which are legitimate, listed on the MSRP sticker, and paid by every customer.

It looks like his book and "testimony" make for a great marketing tool for his own Toyota store. Read an overview of his book and it sounds like it's good for car buying novices.

There are no real "secrets" in buying a car.

The fees that are alluded to have covered many things...."window etching (supposedly to make the car easier to identify if stolen), lifetime wax/interior stain protection (essentially wax and Scotchgard), etc. Generally speaking, those types of services are quite overpriced.

Again, destination charges are legitimate.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Not to beat it to death, but for those interested, here is a straight forward explanation of destination charges from a reputable source:

http://www.kbb.com/car-advice/articles/destination-charges/

Hope this helps

Bill G
    Thank you all for the responses, but I think we are focusing on the destination charge rather than the total selling price.

back to my original question, the dealer quoted me $26900 + $200 doc fees from a MSRP of $30860. How much more room is their for negotiations. I was hoping to drop another $800.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    newbee...what geographic location are you in? Trade-in?

Why not offer the dealer $26,000 and see what he says?

MIght want to look at Edmunds TMV, or truecar.com to see where those come in at.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • cob2cob2 Member Posts: 9
    The Honda dealer in Folsom, CA quoted 27.4 and 25.5 for an EX-L, V6 & 4... I asked for the sales price for the vehicles not incl tax & lic. That said, it wouldn't be the first time I went to purch a car and found added charges (dest?). Tax would be about 2.2.

I really like the Accord, haven't owned one I an long time. I've owned mostly Toyota's Avalon/Camry. However, there seems to be better deals elsewhere for a good quality vehicle. I gather that's because this is a recently new model? How much better might the prices on the Accord be at year end.
    That question you could answer yourself...... How

Call as many dealers Internet mgrs... or drive to as many dealerships on the last day of this month and you will have your answer to your question..
    You could pretty much get a good idea on pricing on your model in this forum.

If you want the dealers best price / last day of this month.

There is no leverage on april 11th to buy.......... OR obtain the price your looking for..

make sure you ask all dealers for price, plus dest/ charge,,, and all the OTD charges so there is no confusion.

good luck

Actually, I retired two years ago and have no "dog in the fight".

In other words, I don't care and I really don't care what this Earl Stewart has to say. Destination charges are a spperate line item on the stickers.

And, yes, the invoice IS what the dealers pay unless there some kind of incentives running. Yes, Honda dealers get a lousy 2% holdback.

Funny how nobody ever mentions the trememdous overhead that it takes to open the doors every month.

I do appreciate the words of the others who have jumped in and backed up what I have said here.

I do wish you shoppers well. It doesn't ahve to be a miserable process. It can even be fun as I tried to make it for my customers.

Based on the amount of repeat and referral business I had I must have done at least something right!
  • soupy95soupy95 Member Posts: 10
    So it looks like your quote is at $1600 below invoice. When you factor in the very high doc fee you are actually $1100 below invoice. Not a bad offer, from the postings I have seen, folks have been getting anywhere from $700-$1400 below invoice on the EX-L or EX-L V6. I would not buy the appearance package. If it is anything like the one I was offered, it is standard items you could at later for at least a 50% lower cost.
    You got a better price than I did, although I did not spend a lot of time researching or negotiating. With that price and doc fee you are about $1200 below invoice price. The best posted deal I have seen in this forum was at $1400 below invoice. Not sure you will be able to get the $800 drop that you are looking for.
  • contract_buildcontract_build Member Posts: 26
    edited April 2013
    The best posted deal I have seen in this forum was at $1400 below invoice

As another poster wrote - "unless I see a scan of the buyer's order or contract" (members can post jpg/pdf links and there are free upload sites) - I think a minus 1200-1400 number after doc fees is BS...... From what I've learned this may only be possible around the area of Los Angeles or in Southern California and even then we'd all like to see it, right?

Don't worry soupy95 because you did well and should luxuriate in the time you didn't waste with email/phone/at the dealer. That -1400 probly had a trade and the dealer made $$$$ on the backend........

There's a reason why this Accord forum has roughly 30,000 posts (I think almost double others: check out http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef17997/ and pages 2 and 3 and you'll see) because there's not much "Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience" but a lotta bs'ing.

My feeling is to enjoy your deal and your Accord, and appreciatively thank Hosts Car_man and kyfdx for their most valuable inputs that helped so many of us...
    _____
    :) show me the money :)
  • mr_numbmr_numb Member Posts: 7
    edited April 2013
    I paid $21,500 (including destination) for my manual-transmission 2013 Accord Sport in March '13. Out the door price was just over $23,500 with $300 of options and 7.25% sales tax here in Illinois.

Like you, I was quoted $22,000 at first. I contacted my local dealer via e-mail and mentioned that I was in negotiations with another dealer. They came back to me with a price of $21,500.

My opinion is that $22,000 isn't a bad starting point to get the negotiations going for what you're after.
  • heatwavexheatwavex Member Posts: 1
    OK, here is the deal. I still think there is money on the table. Dealer claims that they can't keep sport models on the lot, so this is their "best deal". Please comment

2013, Honda Accord Sport 2.4L I-4 cyl )
    -Factory Options ( None )
    -Dealer Options (Pin Stripe, Nitrogen Tires, Wheel Locks, Trunk Tray, Splash Guards)
    -Dealer city/state ( Charlotte, NC)
    -MSRP (incl destination) ( $26380 )
    -Invoice (incl destination) ( $unknown )
    -Purchase Price ( $23829)
    -Downpayment ( $not discussed)
    -Trade allowance (year, make model, mileage, options, condition of the trade) ( None )
    -TTL ($769)
    -Dealer fees ($549)
    -Doc fees (none)

Total Out door price = $23,829 + $769 + $549 = $25147
    edited April 2013
    sale price....................................23,829
    invoice w dest charge....................22,929
    total below invoice...........................900
    minus dealers fee's... doc's,, etc.......549
    total sale price of vehicle .................351 below dealers invoice

dealer options wheel locks.......... 36
    splash guards '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''67
    trunk tray...maybe ....................89
    pin stripe vinyl / roll ............................13
    nitrogen................................. free... Ask dealership if they know how much nitrogen is in O 2

• happypilot1happypilot1 Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2013
    [brian125] wrote: Ask dealership if they know how much nitrogen is in O 2

There is no nitrogen in Oxygen ;)

I know what you meant, though: "air" is predominantly nitrogen and this is a gimmick not only of the dealer but many tire centers as well. Tests by Consumer Reports show no difference.
  • carconsumer55carconsumer55 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    Went out last weekend to buy my 6th Honda, 3rd Accord. As you can tell, I'm a fan of the value Honda offers. Anyhow, I used two primary sources to prepare me for the purchase - Consumer Reports' Car Buying Service and this forum.

If you have never used CR's service, you should definitely do so for new cars. I've used them for the past 3 new car purchases and it has gotten better over the years. The report, which only costs $14 per car provides all the details, options and financials to help you in identifying the best starting point for the negotiations, in addition to their ratings/review. The report also provides statistics as to how much people are paying for the car so you can see where you might fall on the curve based on what you might negotiate.

In addition, they have a new service that links you to up 3 local dealers that offer you a no haggle price. In my case, the no haggle price was quite low on their charts and when compared to feedback in this forum, I felt I was getting a good deal.

So, after a couple of days w/getting a few email quotes and some light negotiating, I got a couple of competitive offers from two local dealers that CR linked me to.

I then went to a closer, 3rd Honda dealer and gave them the best written offer I had and told them if they would match it and include a splash guard set, I would buy. I gave them 30 minutes to give their answer. In the end they agreed within the 30 mins I gave them.

Dealer was Leith Honda in Wake Forest, NC - Sales Rep was Wally.
    I was a bit leery given some of the negative reviews I read about Leith but since they are located less than 10 miles from my house and I've always gotten good treatment on the service side, I figured it was worth a try.

The experience was very positive, no games and the entire transaction completed in 2 hours. Wally was also very good - he listened, respected what I wanted and in the end got me the car for the price I was willing to purchase it for all in a targeted 2 hour time frame.

In the end, this is what I paid:

2013, Honda Accord EX-L Sedan (no navigation)
    -Factory Options: None
    -Dealer Options: Wheel Locks, Body Side Molding, Rear Wing Spoiler, all season mats, splash guard set
    -Dealer city/state: Wake Forest, NC
    -Down payment: paid cash in full
    -Trade allowance: none

Auto: $25,777 (inc destination)
    Accessories: $1,102
    Tax: $806
    Doc fee: $398
    Total out the door price = $28,157

While the price of the car is not the lowest you will find in this forum, it is definitely on the very low side due to CR's service and this forum's help.

So, thanks to all of you for the help.
    Hope my details can help the next guy in line.
  • kcaj32kcaj32 Member Posts: 5
    Hi cob2,
    I live in Rancho Cordova and it seems you are local here too. I'm planning on purchasing an EX and I got a quote of 23K (incl dest charge) + TTL from Elk Grove Honda. I'm sure I can have them lower it further if I tell them we're buying 2 cars. Let me know if you are interested in getting a further discount for multi-car purchase.
    Bob.
    After almost 2 weeks of hard work i got my vehicle today.

Total OTD == 26555/-

2013, Honda Accord EX-L CVT ( no navigation ) White Exterior / Ivory Interior.

-Factory Options ( None )
    -Dealer Options (Pin Stripe, Nitrogen Tires, Wheel Locks, Trunk Tray, Splash Guards) - $495
    -Dealer city/state ( bethesda/MD)
    -MSRP (incl destination) ( -----)
    -Invoice (incl destination) ( 24899 )
    -Purchase Price ( $25394)
    -Downpayment ( 0)
    -Tax - 813 ( va ) tags - 145
    -Dealer fees ($200)
    -Doc fees (none)
  • ladhnurladhnur Member Posts: 20
    edited April 2013
    Hello All,
    I am in the market for a new 2013 Honda Accord EX Sedan CVT Automatic. Here is the price I am being offered. Is this a good price? Please let me know

$22,609 not including TTL.
    The documentation fee will be $164.30
    Sales tax $1,595.88
    License title fee will be $196.
    This includes all the Tax title and fees.

Should I go for this deal?
    Thanks so much.
    ladhnur,

You did not mention if this was manual or automatic transmission. You need to provide the full details of the car you are considering for anybody to be able to offer you an opinion.
    Just edited my post. :)
  • isantemisantem Member Posts: 7
    I think is a fair deal....you are below invoice. You can maybe try something like, "I come buy it today, if you include a remote start ($400)".
  • 74357435 Member Posts: 40
    hi
    please state the MSRP, sticker price, vs your dealer offer of 22609 + 164.63 which i assume iis the total cost for the car. taxes title etc are not important. then we can see if you are getting a good reduction like 4,000 off
  • nonoahnonoah Member Posts: 2
    make sure the price include dest. charge and some time (many times) there is forced dealer package added on, and of course watch out for the etch scam, if none of this is a issue, then it is good deal, i got mine for about $400 more.
    Hi,
    Sorry I didn't mention .... it was an automatic transmission I4 with 227 miles on it